PDA

View Full Version : NCAA votes to allow athletes to cash in on their names, images and likeness

unknown-swac
October 29th, 2019, 01:09 PM
Knew they wouldn't be able to stop it and elected to go with the flow. Called it.

WileECoyote06
October 29th, 2019, 01:10 PM
Yep. .as did I. This is the right decision.

Panther88
October 29th, 2019, 01:14 PM
lol Bow down! Student-athletes have so much power that collectively they are unaware of. xsmhx Good for them.

And let the NEW games begin. :D

ccd494
October 29th, 2019, 01:26 PM
.... Except that isn't really what the press release says. It says it wants to do it "in a manner consistent with the collegiate model." Which will likely be much more restrictive than the California law.

unknown-swac
October 29th, 2019, 01:45 PM
Nah, it won't lol. Just like people on here said the ncaa will never go for it. The ncaa isn't the one calling the shots on this one. It's either get with it or get left behind. They know that and they will do whatever it takes. What they gonna do, issue bans? Lol

DFW HOYA
October 29th, 2019, 01:52 PM
A slippery slope, but outside of some players at NDSU, almost no one in this subdivision will qualify for this benefit.

Drblankstare
October 29th, 2019, 01:54 PM
Outside of NDSU, almost no one in this subdivision will qualify for this benefit.

I doubt anyone at NDSU is going too benefit much from this.

Bill
October 29th, 2019, 02:00 PM
But will they? I have not read any of the particulars of the rules...but what if "Porter Nissan" in Newark Delaware wants to do an ad campaign featuring 4 top Hens every season, and pays them each a few grand to appear...that might be a nice perk for a kid to pick Delaware over Villanova. A stretch, perhaps, but am I missing something here? One can only imagine how Phil Knight might have Nike ads featuring current Oregon players, but this could get real ugly, real quick. And I'm still not convinced that the Title IX tentacles aren't going to work their way into this eventually....

Redbird 4th & short
October 29th, 2019, 02:01 PM
While I'm still opposed to this, NCAA did say there will be restrictions .. one of the restrictions cited in Tribune article, a player would not be able to accept anything of value (money or car) from a local car dealer. An example they cited would be acceptable, is if they could monetize their page on social media.

We'll see what ultimately gets passed ... but this is a very slippery slope .. the rules better make sense, be closely monitored, and have real teeth. Lots of creative ways to bribe a kid and their family to go to a certain university with strong boosters and their vast networks. What won't people with money and influence do to get that next 5 star QB, RB, DE, or LB.

Not the first time society will give in to a bad idea hat theywill eventually regret ...

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 29th, 2019, 02:04 PM
While I'm still opposed to this, NCAA did say there will be restrictions .. one of the restrictions cited in Tribune article, a player would not be able to accept anything of value (money or car) from a local car dealer. An example they cited would be acceptable, is if they could monetize their page on social media.

We'll see what ultimately gets passed ... but this is a very slippery slope .. the rules better make sense, be closely monitored, and have real teeth. Lots of creative ways to bribe a kid and their family to go to a certain university with strong boosters an connections.

Not the fitst time society will give in to a bad idea hat theywill eventually regret ...

This here.

I was not on board with this from the start and still not. Better be regulated or the abuse will run rampant.

clawman
October 29th, 2019, 02:08 PM
Athletes should either sell their likeness and signature OR get a free education, no double dipping. When they sign the contract for a scholarship they are giving up the right to sell themselves. There should be a "free agency" in college athletics, they can try out for the team and take advantage of their skills or accept the scholarship and have the agreed upon years of education, not both.

Bisonoline
October 29th, 2019, 02:09 PM
Nah, it won't lol. Just like people on here said the ncaa will never go for it. The ncaa isn't the one calling the shots on this one. It's either get with it or get left behind. They know that and they will do whatever it takes. What they gonna do, issue bans? Lol

The NCAA is trying to control the narrative and some assemblance of control. When they got beaten down on the video game ruling they were dreading this day.

Redbird 4th & short
October 29th, 2019, 02:15 PM
Athletes should either sell their likeness and signature OR get a free education, no double dipping. When they sign the contract for a scholarship they are giving up the right to sell themselves. There should be a "free agency" in college athletics, they can try out for the team and take advantage of their skills or accept the scholarship and have the agreed upon years of education, not both.

that or make them pay income taxes on their scholarship money if they sign ith anyone else to earn additional income. They wouldn't have that opportunity if not for the college institution that awarded them the scholarship. Players come and go ... and these colleges made all the investments and took all the risks. So what if some of them benefit financially ... it's their investmment .. what did the student athlete put at risk or invest ?

As for NCAA making money of college player likeness ... give it up if the players insist on a cut. NCAA ought to stick to business of regulating college sports, and marketing their game on television and print. Do players get a cut of TV revenues using their likeness .... not a dime, nor should they.

Stop giving into kids because they keep saying they want something.

Bisonoline
October 29th, 2019, 02:19 PM
that or make them pay income taxes on their scholarship money.

If they get paid for there likeness that will be considered deemed income. The IRS is going to love this.

ST_Lawson
October 29th, 2019, 02:22 PM
I wonder what this does to schools that aren't in larger media markets and don't have a lot of area businesses to shell out sponsorship money?
How long until Jabril Cox or Trey Lance show up in Sheels Sports ads in the Fargo market?

ElCid
October 29th, 2019, 02:27 PM
that or make them pay income taxes on their scholarship money.

Oooh. That smarts. I think this is such a stupid idea. It warps the entire intent of having student athletes. It is pretty much simple greed. Lots of agents out there lobbying for this most likely. It will be just one more nail in the coffin of college football. It has been declining already, whether anyone wants to admit to it or not and I am not talking about just money, but how society, alumni and other students look at it and support it. Want to guess how people/alumni/students will react when asked to contribute to athletic programs. Hint, not too well. So, you want me to contribute money so you can pay Joe College Stud a scholarship, so he can cash in with his endorsements? Got it. Yeah it might not affect FCS much, but resentment trickles down.

Redbird 4th & short
October 29th, 2019, 02:28 PM
If they get paid for there likeness that will be considered deemed income. The IRS is going to love this.
yes, and layer that scholarship money right on top of their marketing deal income ... marginal tax rates could be 20% or higher ... might make them further realize what that scholarship is really worth ... 30-40k per year for 4 of 5 years pretax .... that's 120k to 200k over 4-5 years, pre tax is worth 250k gross ... plus they get a degree, which might come in very handy considering 98% of D-I athletes will never play professionally. So we're talking about appeasing the 2% of all D-I college athletes who would be able to make a living playing sports after college ... seriously now ??

How about taking your scholarship and degree, plus all the meals and equipment and training, and just say, "thank you, it has been fun because I couldn't have done this for 4 or 5 years anywhere else but in a college campus environment."

Redbird 4th & short
October 29th, 2019, 02:30 PM
I wonder what this does to schools that aren't in larger media markets and don't have a lot of area businesses to shell out sponsorship money?
How long until Jabril Cox or Trey Lance show up in Sheels Sports ads in the Fargo market?
NCAA aid it would ban that .. no local sponsorships ... it would become a sh-t show bidding war.

walliver
October 29th, 2019, 03:04 PM
From an article I read yesterday, it seems like the NCAA is giving away the farm today, but will take it all back when the details are ironed out. I suspect athletes can monetize their social media, but won't be able to do endorsements.
Basically, if your name ain't Tua, or Jalen, or Trevor, you'll be lucky to get 5 bucks out of this.

Professor Chaos
October 29th, 2019, 03:11 PM
Oooh. That smarts. I think this is such a stupid idea. It warps the entire intent of having student athletes. It is pretty much simple greed. Lots of agents out there lobbying for this most likely. It will be just one more nail in the coffin of college football. It has been declining already, whether anyone wants to admit to it or not and I am not talking about just money, but how society, alumni and other students look at it and support it. Want to guess how people/alumni/students will react when asked to contribute to athletic programs. Hint, not too well. So, you want me to contribute money so you can pay Joe College Stud a scholarship, so he can cash in with his endorsements? Got it. Yeah it might not affect FCS much, but resentment trickles down.
You're overreacting to this. It changes very little in the hierarchy of college sports. Bama and Clemson will still get the best recruits... FCS schools will still get the guys who are a couple inches too short with the chip on their shoulders. You're right that it'll cause athletic departments to take financial hits because they'll be eliminated as the middlemen between the college athletes and business who would seek endorsements but I don't see the great travesty in that. Greed has long played a big role in college athletics and this type of legislation won't change that.

The main unfortunate consequence I think will be college athletic departments cutting non-revenue sports because they will have to balance their budgets with less coming in as donor contributions.

IBleedYellow
October 29th, 2019, 03:11 PM
ALL I WANT IS NCAA FOOTBALL.

SOMEONE GET EA ON THE PHONE. LET'S DO THIS!

TheKingpin28
October 29th, 2019, 03:28 PM
ALL I WANT IS NCAA FOOTBALL.

SOMEONE GET EA ON THE PHONE. LET'S DO THIS!This and more of this!

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Sader87
October 29th, 2019, 03:49 PM
Just wondering out loud but is there really a big market (nationally anyway) for college football players to monetize this year to year?

You'll have your occasional phenom: Tebow, Flutie etc but could most today name the top Heisman candidates outside of real hardcore college fans?

College football is much more regional than basketball it seems. Just not sure this will be such a game changer...for football anyway.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 29th, 2019, 03:55 PM
Just wondering out loud but is there really a big market (nationally anyway) for college football players to monetize this year to year?

You'll have your occasional phenom: Tebow, Flutie etc but could most today name the top Heisman candidates outside of real hardcore college fans?

College football is much more regional than basketball it seems. Just not sure this will be such a game changer...for football anyway.

There is a large pool of whacky boosters and alums that will do stupid stuff financially in order to flex and have a larger influence on their team's success. You can market an entire OL or secondary. The local insurance guy will provide the best coverage possible. There's so many ways to get into this hustle.....

BisonTru
October 29th, 2019, 04:05 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191029/e9c8adc222e1967214812505ed0ac2bf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sader87
October 29th, 2019, 04:18 PM
There is a large pool of whacky boosters and alums that will do stupid stuff financially in order to flex and have a larger influence on their team's success. You can market an entire OL or secondary. The local insurance guy will provide the best coverage possible. There's so many ways to get into this hustle.....

That just sounds so bad.

Don't get me wrong, there is a lot wrong with the current system.....but this could ultimately lead to the end of the current system being mostly an amateur/non-professional endeavor.

Professor Chaos
October 29th, 2019, 04:29 PM
That just sounds so bad.

Don't get me wrong, there is a lot wrong with the current system.....but this could ultimately lead to the end of the current system being mostly an amateur/non-professional endeavor.
Would your enjoyment of the college game change if you knew the star QB was getting cash for doing a commercial for Progressive Insurance? If so, why?

Panther88
October 29th, 2019, 04:31 PM
The "secret" cheating was already bad, imho. The underhanded stuff that occurs during "recruitment" is mind-boggling. xsmhx

At least now, there appears to be some type of attempt at lassoing control, somewhat.

I wonder how the boosters in austin, tx; waco, tx; and bryan/college station, tx are taking this news as they formulate their plan of immediate and holistic success. lol

nodak651
October 29th, 2019, 04:44 PM
Would your enjoyment of the college game change if you knew the star QB was getting cash for doing a commercial for Progressive Insurance? If so, why?

Yes, unless it is our teams quarterback with the Progressive deal xlolx. People will like this if they think it helps their team and dislike it if they think it hurts their team, relative to others. I will like it no matter what if it allows the NCAA video games to come back.

Professor Chaos
October 29th, 2019, 04:49 PM
Yes, unless it is our teams quarterback with the Progressive deal xlolx. People will like this if they think it helps their team and dislike it if they think it hurts their team, relative to others. I will like it no matter what if it allows the NCAA video games to come back.
Pretty much. But I think people who think the deck isn't already stacked against their school when it comes to recruiting against the college football behemoths are kidding themselves. I don't see the big boys having any more of a competitive advantage with these rules than they did before.

Bisonoline
October 29th, 2019, 05:31 PM

So why should another entity make money off of the kid? What gives them the right to do so???

cx500d
October 29th, 2019, 05:43 PM
The "secret" cheating was already bad, imho. The underhanded stuff that occurs during "recruitment" is mind-boggling. xsmhx

At least now, there appears to be some type of attempt at lassoing control, somewhat.

I wonder how the boosters in austin, tx; waco, tx; and bryan/college station, tx are taking this news as they formulate their plan of immediate and holistic success. lol

the boosters in University Park are already dusting off their old playbook...just in time for college game day!

unknown3
October 29th, 2019, 07:22 PM
So why should another entity make money off of the kid? What gives them the right to do so???

They shouldnt. And literally no one that argues that point can come up with a valid reason as to why. The biggest thing they can come up with is "well they shouldn't get a scholarship" when one has absolutely nothing to do with the other. They dont mind their schools or the NCAA making bank off these kids but oh lord no, they can actually make a little money themselves! No, keep making them work for free and let our schools get all of that money!

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 29th, 2019, 07:29 PM
The biggest issue imo is there needs to be professional development leagues for kids who want to "join the workforce" out of high school like the vast majority of the American society have the opportunity to do. Perhaps the XFL will allow 18 year olds to get paid to play?

If there's other options then the NCAA/universities have much more room to make their own rules imo. If you don't like the college structure then don't attend like in baseball and hockey. Thankfully the 1 and done rule for hoops will be eliminated "soon" and the G-league is trying to ramp up as a legit alternative.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 29th, 2019, 07:36 PM
They shouldnt. And literally no one that argues that point can come up with a valid reason as to why. The biggest thing they can come up with is "well they shouldn't get a scholarship" when one has absolutely nothing to do with the other. They dont mind their schools or the NCAA making bank off these kids but oh lord no, they can actually make a little money themselves! No, keep making them work for free and let our schools get all of that money!

I think we could be talking more than a little bit of coin if big time boosters are allowed to get involved. There's the potential a decent % of P5 players yearly income will be above the national average. There's enough whacky millionaire boosters at some of these schools to make for absolute anarchy.

Ultimately, it really depends on how the bylaws are written and how much common sense is applied. If it's a true free market then it's going to be a helluva disaster. I could see some schools getting out of the big time college athletic business.

Panther88
October 29th, 2019, 09:48 PM
the boosters in University Park are already dusting off their old playbook...just in time for college game day!

xlolx xlolx xlolx true true true

I Bleed Purple
October 29th, 2019, 10:33 PM
LOL, any student on an academic scholarship can get popular on YouTube and make money on it and it doesn't affect their scholarship and no one cares, but when it's going to be allowed for a student on an athletic scholarship to do the same, people on this forum are all, TAX THE SCHOLARSHIPS.

Sheesh.

Sader87
October 29th, 2019, 11:28 PM
Football is the anomaly in many ways in not having a "pro" option like most other collegiate sports that have a professional sport/tour etc besides college athletics. College football players really have no option to ply their trade so to speak other than college football.

It's led to the ridiculousness of most states highest paid state employee being that state's head football coach, millions and millions of TV dollars going to nearly everyone save the players, people here and everywhere clamoring to play college football video games-that once again the players haven't received a cent for their likeness etc etc

It will be very interesting how this is all sorted out vis a vis college football. It may very well end it or completely change it from what we have now.

ST_Lawson
October 30th, 2019, 08:57 AM
LOL, any student on an academic scholarship can get popular on YouTube and make money on it and it doesn't affect their scholarship and no one cares, but when it's going to be allowed for a student on an athletic scholarship to do the same, people on this forum are all, TAX THE SCHOLARSHIPS.

Sheesh.

To be fair, anyone making money from YouTube or any other revenue source is supposed to be getting taxed on it...regardless of whether they're a student athlete, student non-athlete, you, me, random schmo off the street, etc. Not saying it happens in many cases, but it's supposed to be reported to the IRS.

Bisonator
October 30th, 2019, 09:13 AM
I wonder how all of this is going to play out. I mean now a kid is going to have to decide how much money he will get from the schools for scholarship/FCOA, then how much boosters will be offering to get him to their school with a sweetheart advertising deal, then how much taxes will be where that school is located and a myriad of other things nobody even thinks about. They are going to have to hire agents or financial advisers just to help them navigate all this ****.

PAllen
October 30th, 2019, 09:17 AM
Welcome to local car dealerships and pizza shops airing tv and radio ads featuring your favorite sophomore running back.

Just stop pretending and call it what it is, professional sports.

Redbird 4th & short
October 30th, 2019, 09:22 AM

bisononline .. what is difference between using players likeness on TV or a video game ... various groups profit from both. In fact, they put HS games on TV all the time now .. should HS players also get paid ? The game does not exist, nor is nearly as profitable, if not for the college campus environment. None of these players or coaches would be making the front page of papers and lead stories on ESPN, if not for the college cxampus environment. The student-athlete has zero to with the that college campus existing ... the school made all the investments and took all the risks .. many over 100+ years time. These players come and go every 1 to 4 years, and the colleges remain just as popular .. putting aside more general declining attednace and interest in all sports.

They get a lot of scholarship money pretax (worth 200k+ gross) and every opportunity to earn a degree with a lot of help in some cases ... 98% of D-I athletes will really need that degree when theyre done .. because they won't play professional sports. This is amateur sports .. they are students first .. and yes, we need to protect them from themselves.

More money will translate to more distractions and far more potential for corrupt people to get involved.

Redbird 4th & short
October 30th, 2019, 09:25 AM
Welcome to local car dealerships and pizza shops airing tv and radio ads featuring your favorite sophomore running back.

Just stop pretending and call it what it is, professional sports.
again .. NCAA said they would not allow this, if they approve it.

Bisonator
October 30th, 2019, 09:31 AM
again .. NCAA said they would not allow this, if they approve it.
How are they not going to allow it? It's already law!

TheKingpin28
October 30th, 2019, 09:32 AM

Just stop pretending and call it what it is, professional sports.Blue Mountain State.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Lorne_Malvo
October 30th, 2019, 09:35 AM
This is going to be a **** show. Its 4 years away, so enjoy the way it is now before it goes to crap like the NFL.

Mattymc727
October 30th, 2019, 09:56 AM
I think this is just an attempt to get some money from video games. I'm sure the NCAA will restrict 95% of ways to earn income. The NCAA probably realized millions are to be made on EA football and basketball, so they are willing to share a cut with players.

Id say EA will just provide some settled pool of money to players and the players in the game will get a share of it. The NCAA will get a cut from its logos and everything else.

The NCAA will find a way to make equal money from what the players will earn.

SU DOG
October 30th, 2019, 09:56 AM
Since 2015 these "poor" athletes have been getting an average of $2000-$5000 per year COA stipends. Granted that isn't a lot of money, but, with all their freebies, they don't need a lot of money. Then there is the up to $100,000 per year scholarship. Greed kills lots of things including the golden egg laying goose. Yes, there are recruiting violations already, so we should just give up on the issue and legalize everything? If you want to see your school represented by a bunch of paid mercenaries OK. I want to see mine represented by STUDENT athletes. I may be in the minority, and I know this is primarily a P5 issue, but I still feel very strongly about it.

PAllen
October 30th, 2019, 11:00 AM
Since 2015 these "poor" athletes have been getting an average of $2000-$5000 per year COA stipends. Granted that isn't a lot of money, but, with all their freebies, they don't need a lot of money. Then there is the up to $100,000 per year scholarship. Greed kills lots of things including the golden egg laying goose. Yes, there are recruiting violations already, so we should just give up on the issue and legalize everything? If you want to see your school represented by a bunch of paid mercenaries OK. I want to see mine represented by STUDENT athletes. I may be in the minority, and I know this is primarily a P5 issue, but I still feel very strongly about it.

I agree. Unfortunately the STUDENT ship sailed long ago at most schools.

Bisonoline
October 30th, 2019, 11:02 AM
bisononline .. what is difference between using players likeness on TV or a video game ... various groups profit from both. In fact, they put HS games on TV all the time now .. should HS players also get paid ? The game does not exist, nor is nearly as profitable, if not for the college campus environment. None of these players or coaches would be making the front page of papers and lead stories on ESPN, if not for the college cxampus environment. The student-athlete has zero to with the that college campus existing ... the school made all the investments and took all the risks .. many over 100+ years time. These players come and go every 1 to 4 years, and the colleges remain just as popular .. putting aside more general declining attednace and interest in all sports.

They get a lot of scholarship money pretax (worth 200k+ gross) and every opportunity to earn a degree with a lot of help in some cases ... 98% of D-I athletes will really need that degree when theyre done .. because they won't play professional sports. This is amateur sports .. they are students first .. and yes, we need to protect them from themselves.

More money will translate to more distractions and far more potential for corrupt people to get involved.

There is already schools who cheat and players are paid. Just look at Reggie Bush, Marcus Dupree etc etc etc. Look at the most recent NCAA basketball investigations.
Getting a scholarship is great BUT considering the time spent you arent even getting minimum wage. Also the court already ruled that the NCAA couldnt profit off the kids of which they were doing.
If a company is going to use the a kids likeness and number and the product is bought because of those facts why shouldnt the kid get a cut? I also think because the school is putting the kid in a position to be successful they should get a cut also.

As far as the college environment studies have shown that the environment is enhanced because of college sports. Thats why more schools are starting programs.

https://footballfoundation.org/news/2019/7/23/775-colleges-and-universities-now-offering-football.aspx

Universities and colleges are adding football at all levels, and administrators have developed sound plans, ensuring the new programs address the unique financial, academic and long-term objectives of their respective schools. The 80 institutions listed below that have implemented firm plans during the past decade create a clear and undeniable trend that presidents and trustees nationwide see the value of a football program as part of their overall academic mission.

"No other sport contributes more to the vibrancy of a college campus than football, and we are very pleased to highlight those schools that have added our great game," said NFF President & CEO Steve Hatchell. "University and college presidents clearly see the value of having programs on their campuses, and we applaud them for understanding the role football can play in the educational experience of all their students."

The rationale for adding football varies at each institution, and all of the decision makers who helped develop a plan for launching a program explain that an in-depth study played a critical role in finding the right level of play and the proper financial balance. Small colleges may cite increasing enrollment and addressing gender imbalances while larger universities might highlight the role of football in raising the institution's profile and its ability to attract research grants. All mention creating a more vibrant on-campus community and connecting with alumni.
(https://footballfoundation.org/news/2019/7/23/775-colleges-and-universities-now-offering-football.aspx)

Redbird 4th & short
October 30th, 2019, 11:08 AM
How are they not going to allow it? It's already law!
I should have read closer .. I thought they said (in Tribune) it still needed to be refined and voted on.

Sader87
October 30th, 2019, 11:11 AM
I think the schools that will really start to become uncomfortable with the growing professionalism in college athletics are the private/selective schools that are in the P5 particularly: BC, Duke, Vandy.etc...even ND.

They have all existed in this ESPN fueled growth of college sports era over the last 30-40 years with sort of a "wink and a nod" of having 100% student-athletes representing their football and hoop teams. It's going to be harder and harder for them to justify this the more "professionalized" those sports become at this level.

Bisonoline
October 30th, 2019, 11:12 AM
I think the schools that will really start to become uncomfortable with the growing professionalism in college athletics are the private/selective schools that are in the P5 particularly: BC, Duke, Vandy.etc...even ND.

They have all existed in this ESPN fueled growth of college sports era over the last 30-40 years with sort of a "wink and a nod" of having 100% student-athletes representing their football and hoop teams. It's going to be harder and harder for them to justify this the more "professionalized" those sports become at this level.

Like the Olympics?

WileECoyote06
October 30th, 2019, 11:17 AM

lol at including Duke in your comment.

Sader87
October 30th, 2019, 11:25 AM

I think Duke hoop is probably the most egregious case of a "wink and a nod" of having student-athletes representing their school today.

That's basically my point....many of these schools are already at a breaking point so to speak with regard to being "amateur athletics"....legislation like this might topple the whole house of cards.

ngineer
October 30th, 2019, 11:34 AM
This here.

I was not on board with this from the start and still not. Better be regulated or the abuse will run rampant.

Agreed. This will be difficult to maneuver with the various sports and the differences in their 'value', i.e. Football versus Field Hockey, etc., and how the academic institutions treat all student athletes. In a 'perfect world', those who think they have value can take their business risk and go pro. It's too bad that the NFL uses the NCAA as their 'minor league' as distinct from MLB. Similarly, the NBA, while having some kind of minor league, still primarily uses the NCAA. This will be fraught with enforcement issues.

walliver
October 30th, 2019, 12:44 PM

I think it's an issue for Duke football.

Obviously, in basketball, their players probably all drop out on the middle of their first spring semester so grades and academic advancement never come into play. More importantly, if you are winning, alumni look the other way.

The real loser is Wake Forest. Except for the historical accident of being in the right place when the other Carolina, Virginia, and Maryland schools left the Southern Conference, Wake Forest should be playing FCS in the SoCon or CAA.

clawman
October 30th, 2019, 12:57 PM
This decision is the beginning of "the rich get richer". We will see boosters offering cars, monthly stipends, etc. to 5 star recruits for going to their school.

walliver
October 30th, 2019, 01:00 PM
This decision is the beginning of "the rich get richer". We will see boosters offering cars, monthly stipends, etc. to 5 star recruits for going to their school.

It probably just means that the SEC won't have to pretend this doesn't happen now.

Lorne_Malvo
October 30th, 2019, 01:01 PM
I wonder how this would work with the gift tax exclusion. So every booster could give each player $15,000 tax free every year with no tax consequences right?

clawman
October 30th, 2019, 01:20 PM
It probably just means that the SEC won't have to pretend this doesn't happen now.

You don't think boosters from Notre Dam, USC, Ohio State, even Wisc and Nebraska will be bidding on players? How much can Western KY, Bowling Green, etc. etc. afford to bribe players? Even at the FCS level you can expect boosters from North Dakota State, JMU, Montana and others to be opening the check books. College sports just changed forever.
Anyone who thought the college admissions scandal was bad, that will be pitchin pennies compared to what is about to happen.

Bisonoline
October 30th, 2019, 01:28 PM

That's been going on since the game was invented.

Professor Chaos
October 30th, 2019, 01:31 PM
You don't think boosters from Notre Dam, USC, Ohio State, even Wisc and Nebraska will be bidding on players? How much can Western KY, Bowling Green, etc. etc. afford to bribe players? Even at the FCS level you can expect boosters from North Dakota State, JMU, Montana and others to be opening the check books. College sports just changed forever.
Anyone who thought the college admissions scandal was bad, that will be pitchin pennies compared to what is about to happen.
There have been plenty of overreactions on this thread but I think you just took the cake.

ysubigred
October 30th, 2019, 01:47 PM

+100000000000000^^ **** was already skewed, now oh my! The elite will become even more elite xdizzyx

ysubigred
October 30th, 2019, 01:51 PM
There have been plenty of overreactions on this thread but I think you just took the cake.

I believe Clawman is spot on. The cash in deal will create a much bigger gap between the power 5 elite teams and the rest of the teams.

BEAR
October 30th, 2019, 02:03 PM
I think this will move the P5 teams waaay ahead of the G5. I'm betting they will break off into yet another DIVISION...almost semi-pro. Cash money everywhere! Wanna play football and have a great side hustle? Wait until EA Sports releases NCAA 21...just get a spot on a big school roster, wear something outrageous to every game ( you know, your brand or your look), and play out of your mind. The dollars will roll in. It's the Dennis Rodman theory on how to cash in on college sports for football players. xlolx

Professor Chaos
October 30th, 2019, 02:10 PM
I believe Clawman is spot on. The cash in deal will create a much bigger gap between the power 5 elite teams and the rest of the teams.
I disagree since I don't think it'll be any bigger than it already is. We'll have to agree to disagree at this point since it's all speculative in either direction right now anyway.

ysubigred
October 30th, 2019, 02:14 PM
I disagree since I don't think it'll be any bigger than it already is. We'll have to agree to disagree at this point since it's all speculative in either direction right now anyway.

I can agree to that xthumbsupx

jacksfan29!
October 30th, 2019, 02:27 PM
I think this will move the P5 teams waaay ahead of the G5. I'm betting they will break off into yet another DIVISION...almost semi-pro. Cash money everywhere! Wanna play football and have a great side hustle? Wait until EA Sports releases NCAA 21...just get a spot on a big school roster, wear something outrageous to every game ( you know, your brand or your look), and play out of your mind. The dollars will roll in. It's the Dennis Rodman theory on how to cash in on college sports for football players. xlolx

Hate to tell you this, most of P5 are already WAY ahead of G5. The reaction to the NCAA decision is understandable, but they had to do this. The times are changing in regard to sports gambling. I suggest anyone interested listen to the Freakonomics Radio podcast from September 4, The Economics of Sports Gambling. The NCAA and the largest P5 schools are making a fortune off these athletes, they are going to need to open things up to allow for star athletes to earn some money or things will get ugly fast.

Bisonoline
October 30th, 2019, 02:48 PM

The power 5 already have autonomy. The move already happened.

ysubigred
October 30th, 2019, 02:53 PM
The power 5 already have autonomy. The move already happened.

Agree, but it's headed to another level if you could imagine that.

Redbird 4th & short
October 30th, 2019, 02:58 PM
agree .. I don't see how this doesn't get out of control fast ... big markets and big time boosters have every advantage. And what about the stud 5 star QB who is leading Heisman candidate who makes big bucks on monetizing his twitter or facbook page ... might that become a distraction from his football and classes ? Earning say 10's of thouasands each month ... because some big booster promised he would use his network for some sponsorship or ad deal ? Who's going to trace and track all this stuff ?

bonarae
October 30th, 2019, 07:45 PM
Meanwhile...

Can this be moved to the Political Board or warrant a thread of its own?

NCAA may ultimately lose the NIL battle...

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ncaa-merely-moves-goal-posts-in-athletes-rights-fight-its-inevitably-going-to-lose/

I Bleed Purple
October 30th, 2019, 09:29 PM
To be fair, anyone making money from YouTube or any other revenue source is supposed to be getting taxed on it...regardless of whether they're a student athlete, student non-athlete, you, me, random schmo off the street, etc. Not saying it happens in many cases, but it's supposed to be reported to the IRS.

Yeah, tax that income, but the call was to tax the scholarships when no other scholarship is taxed.

clawman
October 30th, 2019, 10:13 PM

OK here is an example, I will tell Coach Best if they are recruiting a guy that needs some money I'll give him a job in Spokane. He does not have to show up for work just come to employee meetings once a month if it is convenient.

Bisonoline
October 30th, 2019, 10:14 PM
OK here is an example, I will tell Coach Best if they are recruiting a guy that needs some money I'll give him a job in Spokane. He does not have to show up for work just come to employee meetings once a month if it is convenient.

That happens now.

clawman
October 30th, 2019, 10:21 PM
That happens now.

IF it does it is illegal and schools could suffer huge ramifications (SMU death penalty), imagine how flagrant it will be.

Bisonoline
October 30th, 2019, 10:21 PM

There was a player by the name of Leo Nomellini who played for Minnesota. He was drafted by the 49ers in the first round in 1950. When asked what he thought about the chance to play professional football. He stated he was disappointed that he was going to have to take pay cut to do so.

Professor Chaos
October 30th, 2019, 10:30 PM
You can try but that would be a recruiting violation now and after these rules are put in place. If I understand it correctly these rules/laws apply to college athletes not recruits. Like oline said that stuff happens now anyway but the NCAA isn't so inept that they don't catch people doing it from time to time. See Rhett Bomar for an example.

Bisonoline
October 30th, 2019, 11:38 PM
IF it does it is illegal and schools could suffer huge ramifications (SMU death penalty), imagine how flagrant it will be.

Thats funny.

Tazman2664
October 31st, 2019, 10:35 AM
You can try but that would be a recruiting violation now and after these rules are put in place. If I understand it correctly these rules/laws apply to college athletes not recruits. Like oline said that stuff happens now anyway but the NCAA isn't so inept that they don't catch people doing it from time to time. See Rhett Bomar for an example.

There have been stories about this. Some time back there were 3 football players for some southern team (don't remember which one) supposedly working for a construction company. The players showed up for work but slept in a work shed all day long. Someone turned them in and they got caught. So it is happening and they do come down on the school when caught. The biggest issue with the players "thinking" their likeness is in a game and they should be paid for it is how much time will they spend fighting to get paid? How much time and attention will this take away from their college game? IT is not cut and dry like many think it is. Besides, why are these companies making likenesses of these guys to end up having to pay them? I would take a guy like Zion Williamson and make him white and bulk him up a little bit and just how can Zion fight for his pay? Or take a guy like RJ Barrett and make him taller, say 3 inches, and give him a funky hairdo. Just how much time will it take to fight for their pay? This creates more questions and more trouble, not less.

walliver
October 31st, 2019, 06:52 PM

There was no real college admissions scandal. The fact that USC (and other elite institutions) lowers academic requirements for athletes, even of non-revenue sports like rowing, has been completely lost in the shadow of the populist dream of sending rich pretty white women to jail. The real scandal is that if Lori Loughlin had written the check directly to USC instead of paying a middle man, none of this would have happened.

As for Bowling Green, et al., a lot of G5 and FCS schools will start rethinking their academic missions and how athletics, especially football, fit into it. If the NCAA doesn't do this properly, and I have no confidence they will, a lot of schools will downgrade if not eliminate their football programs.

I'm waiting to see what the outcry is when the politicians realize that 99% of the NIL money will be going to men?