PDA

View Full Version : MONMOUTH @ KENNESAW - WEEK 10, 2019

MUHAWKS
October 27th, 2019, 09:13 PM
Figured this is a big enough game to create a thread. Not sure if there are too many KSU guys on here or even Big South folks, but whatever.

Point spreads usually come out late Monday or early Tuesday and I would expect MU to be anywhere from 8 to 14 pt dogs..

The collective thinking about KSU is that they are nowhere near as good as years past. It seems the triple option and difficulty preparing for it and stopping it for a full game is what is keeping KSU so powerful. I am not saying that does not count, just saying part of me wishes we were playing a top 8 team in nation with a more pro style offense and really just see who the best team is, who has the better guys and team. I 100% fully believe it is us this year.

Based on what we have to compare things on the teams have played 2 common opponents and ironically the margin of victory was EXACTLY the same for MU and KSU over both Charleston Southern and Presbyterian.

KSU has not played anyone very good sans Kent State. They are not "good" but they are FBS and have won a few games, so that loss seems to catch the eye. They played two NON -NCAA garbage teams and blew them out. The win against Alabama State I actually think was decent since they gave UAB a game and UAB was a bwol team from last year who has some wins in FBS this year. KSO beat them 42-7 while UAB only won by 5. Either way until proven otherwise KSU gets the benefit of the doubt of being a legit top 5-10 team.

Monmouth everyone knows the knock on. We simply cannot ever get over the hurdle of stepping up and winning. We have not beaten KSU and we got smoked against Northern Iowa 2 years ago with our at large playoff chance. We played Montana very good this year only being down 6 with 10 minutes to go. We beat what seems to be a pretty good Albany team. But we have very close wins against 1 win Wagner and Lafayette. Throw an opening week FBS loss in there with 3 Big South blowout wins and the jury is still out.

I have seen every game for many years and I can tell you that "team" wise this team is much better than the 2017 playoff team. That is what football is about; finding the right chemistry and locker room and having it gel. That and staying healthy can make a "good" team very good. I feel this is what is happening.

We came in replacing 3 guys on the O line and our top 2 WR's, our starting TE ( top wr is with the giants and TE was in NFL camp and now in Canada) and we also lost our complimentary RB who ran for over 1,000 yards splitting carries (academic issue). Yet the offense is clicking on all cylinders. Our defense is young so the thought was it would get better each game and it really has. The last 4 games we have let up only 55 pts total and a couple of those scores were garbage time. It was against lesser comp but it still builds confidence. Our offense is what is going to win us this game. We have a legit Running game led by the leading rusher in THE NATION Pete Guerriero who is also a track star. He is fast and can break it any time. But he is built pretty well so he runs strong between the tackles too. Our QB is a Payton award finalist who is a 5th yr Sr and 3.5 year starter. He is 6-3 and moves very well in the pocket and outside it as well. He can make all the throws and when he does he has about 5 targets to throw to including a 6-8 TE who moves like is is 5-8 at times.

Our weakness will be consistency and stopping big plays. Other than that I honestly think we are a top 15 team in the nation who is getting better each week.

All in all we are healthy and I think just about ready to peak. We have have not played our best full game yet and if we do there is not a doubt in my mind we will beat KSU.

As always, may everyone stay healthy.

HootyHoo
October 27th, 2019, 11:03 PM
Every season, Monmouth is touted as KSU's toughest game and every season the Owls earn a comfortable victory. The Hawks have always had good skill position players who are talented and productive. The problem is that you neglect your lines, which makes it virtually impossible to compete with a smash mouth option football team. KSU will dominate the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Bronson Rechsteiner is heavier than every single Linebacker on your roster. He will run for 200 yards and your "explosive" offense will sit on the sideline the entire game.

Notable KSU FCS Statistical rankings:
1st in Total Defense
1st in Rushing Offense
1st in Yards per Completion
2nd in Sacks Allowed
2nd in Blocked Punts
3rd in Scoring Offense
3rd in Scoring Defense
5th in Rushing Defense

Bison56
October 28th, 2019, 06:15 AM
Poll??

Professor Chaos
October 28th, 2019, 06:45 AM
Every season, Monmouth is touted as KSU's toughest game and every season the Owls earn a comfortable victory. The Hawks have always had good skill position players who are talented and productive. The problem is that you neglect your lines, which makes it virtually impossible to compete with a smash mouth option football team. KSU will dominate the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Bronson Rechsteiner is heavier than every single Linebacker on your roster. He will run for 200 yards and your "explosive" offense will sit on the sideline the entire game.

1st in Total Defense
1st in Rushing Offense
2nd in Sacks Allowed
2nd in Blocked Punts
3rd in Scoring Offense
3rd in Scoring Defense
5th in Rushing Defense
Another notable KSU statistical ranking:

110th in strength of schedule (according to Massey)

MUHAWKS
October 28th, 2019, 06:57 AM

1st in Total Defense
1st in Rushing Offense
2nd in Sacks Allowed
2nd in Blocked Punts
3rd in Scoring Offense
3rd in Scoring Defense
5th in Rushing Defense

I mean I get it dude. That is the whole point right? Run the triple option which is really not possible to stop consistently in terms of yards and time of possession (as long as you have at least capable athletes and O line which KSU indeed does) -- The hope is that the defense can get 1-2 turnovers and/or a couple stops in the red zone and possibly even try and beat you at your own game by controlling the clock with OUR offense. Even if KSU stalls or commits some errors that style of offense still forces the other team to be near perfect in their own limited possessions which will take discipline, mistake free football.

These types of games are as much about coaching and "the little things" as it is who has the better players. Last year we were down 3 at the half and then imploded. Was KSU that much better? I say no, but as soon as we started trying to throw the ball all over the place we self destructed and it became a self fulfilling prophecy.

You have every right to be confident and I'd be lying if I said I was not worried about the same BS happening where we go away from what is working. To beat KSU a team has to either be a lot better or literally play an A type game for the full 60 minutes, no turnovers, take advantage of all opportunities. We will see..

KSUFAN
October 28th, 2019, 10:18 AM
I mean I get it dude. That is the whole point right? Run the triple option which is really not possible to stop consistently in terms of yards and time of possession (as long as you have at least capable athletes and O line which KSU indeed does) -- The hope is that the defense can get 1-2 turnovers and/or a couple stops in the red zone and possibly even try and beat you at your own game by controlling the clock with OUR offense. Even if KSU stalls or commits some errors that style of offense still forces the other team to be near perfect in their own limited possessions which will take discipline, mistake free football.

These types of games are as much about coaching and "the little things" as it is who has the better players. Last year we were down 3 at the half and then imploded. Was KSU that much better? I say no, but as soon as we started trying to throw the ball all over the place we self destructed and it became a self fulfilling prophecy.

You have every right to be confident and I'd be lying if I said I was not worried about the same BS happening where we go away from what is working. To beat KSU a team has to either be a lot better or literally play an A type game for the full 60 minutes, no turnovers, take advantage of all opportunities. We will see..

MUHAWK hopefully KSU can give you guys a good game this weekend. I believe last year you or one of your fans were talking about peaking at the right time too. I hope you don't believe that KSU isn't near as good as the last couple years. Maybe they were overrated!! This team is the fastest team we have had and a lot deeper from years past. This is only the fifth season playing and the recruiting continues to improve each year. The offense is built to beat you up and wear you down and exploit you as the game goes on. Hopefully this weekend we do the same thing. Who knows though? The previous games don't mean a thing and I can assure Kennesaw isn't overlooking anyone. Good luck Saturday and safe travels!

MUHAWKS
October 28th, 2019, 10:29 AM
MUHAWK hopefully KSU can give you guys a good game this weekend. I believe last year you or one of your fans were talking about peaking at the right time too. I hope you don't believe that KSU isn't near as good as the last couple years. Maybe they were overrated!! This team is the fastest team we have had and a lot deeper from years past. This is only the fifth season playing and the recruiting continues to improve each year. The offense is built to beat you up and wear you down and exploit you as the game goes on. Hopefully this weekend we do the same thing. Who knows though? The previous games don't mean a thing and I can assure Kennesaw isn't overlooking anyone. Good luck Saturday and safe travels!

Very cool- I know that our players and staff do NOT think this KSU team is worse. I Know that..As for fans etc who cares what we think anyway. Good info, yep I get it (in terms of how you are built) and the other KSU guy correctly pointed it out too-- Our undersized front 7 may be able to hang for a bit and go back and forth but after a half or 3 quarters of getting pounded by bigger guys it gets tough, we get tired we cant tackle as well etc etc.. I think it is safe to say the only recipe is mistake free offense for MU where we score touchdowns and somehow get a turnover or two..

aceinthehole
October 28th, 2019, 02:42 PM
Heading into this game, we have every reason to believe KSU will thump Monmouth as they have the last 3 seasons.

2018: KSU wins 51-14 (at W. Long Branch, NJ)
2017: KSU wins 52-21 (at Kennesaw, Ga.)
2016: KSU wins 49-17(at W. Long Branch, NJ)

KSU's resume so weak this season --> 2 sub-DI wins and 5 FCS wins vs. teams with losing records (Alabama State, Missouri State, Charleston Southern, Presby, North Alabama), that they appear highly overrated.

If an unranked Monmouth was to beat (#5 STATS FCS | #4 Coaches | #9 AGS) Kennesaw State this week, how far in the polls would KSU fall and where would Monmouth land?

Isn't it conceivable that KSU could drop out of the polls entirely (more than 15 spots) for a single loss to an unranked team? They would have no justification at all to remain in the Top-25. That is why I think their current ranking is too high - a single loss would be absolutely devastating because they don't have ANY quality wins.

clenz
October 28th, 2019, 06:46 PM
Neither get a vote from me.

KSU is already extreme edge of getting a vote from me in that they don't.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

BurialGround
October 28th, 2019, 07:57 PM
I'm worried about this game, mostly because our defense has been a big disappointment for me this year, especially our pass D. We're not as fundamentally sound as we were in the past either. Monmouth is better this year than the last couple, and they have the talent to exploit our weaknesses.

The question is, are they any better on the LOS? Because if they're not, they'll still end up getting worn out in the second half and KSU will pull away.

KSU is also much more than just "an offense that is difficult to prepare for." We've far outrecruited everyone in the conference over the last few years, and while we're in a bit of a rebuilding year, not to mention pretty banged up, we've got talent across the board.

Overall, I feel like if we had our defensive coaching staff from last year, then this match would be the same as the last three KSU/MU beatdowns. But we don't, and we still need to prove that we can stop the pass. I think this will end up being a shoot-out.

KSUFAN
October 28th, 2019, 09:34 PM
I'm worried about this game, mostly because our defense has been a big disappointment for me this year, especially our pass D. We're not as fundamentally sound as we were in the past either. Monmouth is better this year than the last couple, and they have the talent to exploit our weaknesses.

The question is, are they any better on the LOS? Because if they're not, they'll still end up getting worn out in the second half and KSU will pull away.

KSU is also much more than just "an offense that is difficult to prepare for." We've far outrecruited everyone in the conference over the last few years, and while we're in a bit of a rebuilding year, not to mention pretty banged up, we've got talent across the board.

Overall, I feel like if we had our defensive coaching staff from last year, then this match would be the same as the last three KSU/MU beatdowns. But we don't, and we still need to prove that we can stop the pass. I think this will end up being a shoot-out.

BurialGround the 13 that were out sick Saturday were back at practice today. Looks like everybody will be available this weekend as long as the bug doesn't show back up. Butcher will most likely be available too which will help the D.

HootyHoo
October 28th, 2019, 10:28 PM
That's great news about the flu clearing up. I agree with BG that the pass defense has been subpar. We play a soft zone that really doesn't suit our personnel. I'd love to see more man to man vs Monmouth.

Reign of Terrier
October 29th, 2019, 07:50 AM
I don't think KSU is as good as they were last year. Monmouth may be better than normal.

I wouldn't be surprised by a Monmouth upset or a KSU blowout. Monmouth needs the win to make the playoffs. The committee may hold that blowout loss to UNI a couple years ago against them still.

Professor Chaos
November 2nd, 2019, 02:46 PM
Shocker brewing at Kennesaw this afternoon. Maybe not that Monmouth could win but just the fact that they have dominated the first half up 31-7 at the break.

Kennesaw has looked completely discombobulated on offense. Their offense is not built to come from behind. It seems like they're going to have to throw it some in the 2nd half. They've had open guys down the field but their QBs have been missing them.

The ramifications for KSU could go beyond losing the Big zSouth title in this one if they can't come back. I think their at-large resume would look very shaky especially if Monmouth maintains this margin through the end of the game.

BearDownMU
November 2nd, 2019, 03:17 PM
Shocker brewing at Kennesaw this afternoon. Maybe not that Monmouth could win but just the fact that they have dominated the first half up 31-7 at the break.

Kennesaw has looked completely discombobulated on offense. Their offense is not built to come from behind. It seems like they're going to have to throw it some in the 2nd half. They've had open guys down the field but their QBs have been missing them.

The ramifications for KSU could go beyond losing the Big zSouth title in this one if they can't come back. I think their at-large resume would look very shaky especially if Monmouth maintains this margin through the end of the game.

People are shocked about this?

Herdistheword
November 2nd, 2019, 03:18 PM
The fact that this game is not close at all does not bode well for KSU. Every team has bad days, but great teams do not have bad days like this.

Professor Chaos
November 2nd, 2019, 03:20 PM
People are shocked about this?
By the margin it's at absolutely I'm shocked by it. I thought Monmouth could win but if they did it was going to be a 48-45 type game.