PDA

View Full Version : COACHIN' BONERS!...........BRAWK!

MR. CHICKEN
October 27th, 2019, 10:07 AM
.......CAN.....ANY YOUSE KNUCKLE-DRAGGERAHS.....TOP COACH FERRANTE'S.......ENRON STOCK STRATEGY........AGIN'....STONER BROOK....xconfusedx........AWK!

MR. CHICKEN
October 27th, 2019, 10:24 AM
.....AH FOGGY REMEMBERAH ONE......WHERE MICKEY MATHEWS.....BRAIN FREEZE IN UH.....APP. STATE PLAY-OFF....COST DOOKIES UH DUBBYA............J-MADS......DON'T MEMBER D-TAILS.......REFRESH PLEASE......AWK!

Derby City Duke
October 27th, 2019, 02:08 PM
.....AH FOGGY REMEMBERAH ONE......WHERE MICKEY MATHEWS.....BRAIN FREEZE IN UH.....APP. STATE PLAY-OFF....COST DOOKIES UH DUBBYA............J-MADS......DON'T MEMBER D-TAILS.......REFRESH PLEASE......AWK!

Instead of having the QB move the ball to position JMU for a chip shot FG (ball was around the 8-yd line), he called a running play, giving it to a freshman RB. The kid fumbled, App St recovered and ran the last few seconds off the clock.

Ivytalk
October 27th, 2019, 02:13 PM
My all-time favorite was the Yale coach’s 2009 call of a fake punt against Harvard on 4th-and-22 from its own 25 with under 3 minutes to play. Harvard stopped it 7 yards short, and the Crimson scored the winning TD with less than 2 minutes to go.

Gangtackle11
October 27th, 2019, 04:31 PM
Ferrante takes the booby prize. Hope the team can rebound from this colossal gaffe. xpeacex

RootinFerDukes
October 27th, 2019, 05:18 PM
Instead of having the QB move the ball to position JMU for a chip shot FG (ball was around the 8-yd line), he called a running play, giving it to a freshman RB. The kid fumbled, App St recovered and ran the last few seconds off the clock.

Mountaineers then went on to win their third straight title. JMU was a title contender that year. It was 8 seconds and an easy FG away from them only being the 2-time champions.

That is still the most devastating JMU loss I've ever seen. None has ripped your heart out in the final seconds against a team you should've beaten.

RootinFerDukes
October 27th, 2019, 05:23 PM
For those that haven't watched yet, can we get a summary of this supposed clock management disaster by VU to end the game?

MTfan4life
October 27th, 2019, 05:27 PM
For those that haven't watched yet, can we get a summary of this supposed clock management disaster by VU to end the game?

For anyone wondering what happened at the end of this game, Nova had 1st and 10 with 1:36 to go, Stony Brook had 1 timeout remaining. A play is called where Smith is supposed to run backwards 20 yards to try to kill a few more seconds, and in the process of doing so, Nova was called for a holding penalty which stopped the clock, giving Stony Brook a free time out. Obviously penalty was declined. Then, on 2nd down, Nova runs the same exact play. All they had to do was take a knee 3 times and the game is over. I. Am. So. Confused.

Here's something from the SBU/Nova game thread.

RootinFerDukes
October 27th, 2019, 05:32 PM
Wow, that is really bad. That's lose your job bad.

kdinva
October 27th, 2019, 06:04 PM
1998: Morehead St. @ VMI. Morehead ties the game with 35 seconds remaining, VMI coach Ted Cain (Cain't) didn't play for OT, he called a pass play from the Keydet 22, Morehead intercepted (QB forced the pass), and kicked GW field goal at 00:00. 3 weeks later, Cain got the axe.

whoanellie
October 27th, 2019, 08:56 PM
Way back when I recall a Furman @/ AppSt meeting where Furman makes a TD and goes up 1 with seconds on the clock. They go for 2 pt conversion where the pass is intercepted and returned for 2 points. Furman loses by 1 to AppSt. that was bizarre.

Professor Chaos
October 27th, 2019, 09:12 PM
I believe a few years back UND was playing at Southern Utah and won the opening coin toss. They deferred their decision to the 2nd half so SUU took the ball to start. Then to start the 2nd half rather than choose to take the ball UND instead chose to defend a particular goal so SUU got the ball first to start each half.

Schism55
October 27th, 2019, 11:01 PM
Came here expecting something else, now leaving bitterly disappointed :D

BadlandsGrizFan
October 28th, 2019, 11:31 AM
couple years back Mick Delaneys Griz kicked off twice.

Won the toss, chose to kick.....came out at half, kicked off again.

Lorne_Malvo
October 28th, 2019, 11:45 AM
Bo Pelini vs NDSU taking consecutive penalties putting YSU out of the game.

GoBlueHens83
October 28th, 2019, 11:48 AM

Pretty sure that I remember Delaware doing this years ago when Keeler was still coaching in a game against Rhode Island. It was pretty windy that day and I believe he was trying to take advantage of that. Didn't really see the upside myself.

Professor Chaos
October 28th, 2019, 11:51 AM
Pretty sure that I remember Delaware doing this years ago when Keeler was still coaching in a game against Rhode Island. It was pretty windy that day and I believe he was trying to take advantage of that. Didn't really see the upside myself.
Unless I'm mistaken you're still going into the wind for 2 quarters and against it for 2 quarters. Just a case of coaches overthinking things.

GoBlueHens83
October 28th, 2019, 11:53 AM
Unless I'm mistaken you're still going into the wind for 2 quarters and against it for 2 quarters. Just a case of coaches overthinking things.

I absolutely agree with you here that he was overthinking things.

FormerPokeCenter
October 28th, 2019, 03:15 PM
Amateurs....if you want some next level coaching blunders, harken back to David Bailiff at Texas State telling Barrick Nealy to take a knee and let the clock run out in the waning minutes of a game with Northern Iowa...Texas State took knees, but with poor clock management and Northern Iowa got the ball back and kicked a FG. Texas State got the ball back one last time and threw an interception.

Way to screw yourself out of a playoff win.

CHIP72
October 28th, 2019, 04:08 PM
From the non-FCS/DI-AA division:

FBS/DI-A - Nick Saban's decision to try to kick a 57 yard FG with one second left in the 4th quarter to try to break a tie score and win the game in the 2013 Alabama/Auburn game; the FG attempt was short and returned by Auburn 109 yards for a touchdown, aka the Kick Six play. I can honestly say I said multiple times in the minutes leading up to the kick (which was preceded by a clock challenge in which the officials put one second back on the clock that itself took a few minutes to sort out) that it was a mistake for Alabama to try such a long field goal with a kicker who didn't have a track record of making long field goals, due to there being better (albeit still slim) odds the kick would short and returned for a touchdown than the odds the kicker would actually make a 57 yard FG.

NFL - Barry Switzer's decision to go for on 4th and a little less than a yard at his own 29 yard line with just over 2 minutes remaining in a 17-17 game between Switzer's Dallas Cowboys and the host Philadelphia Eagles in a December 1995 game. The Cowboys called for a run up the middle by Emmitt Smith, who was stuffed by the Eagles defense on the play (something that didn't happen too often with Emmitt Smith and the Eagles in the mid-1990s). However, the officials ruled the clock had reached the 2 minute warning before the ball was snapped, something replays indicated may not have been true. Given the reprieve, Switzer decided to still go for it on 4th down deep in his own territory late in a tie game, and called the exact same play on the first play after the media timeout. The Eagles defense stuffed Smith's run again in essentially the same way they had the first time, and gained possession on downs. Though the Eagles failed to gain a 1st down on the ensuing possession, they were able to kick a field goal, the winning points in a 20-17 victory that prevented the Cowboys from clinching the division (which they later did) and almost assured the Eagles a playoff berth (something they would clinch the following week).

Professor Chaos
October 28th, 2019, 04:14 PM
NFL - Barry Switzer's decision to go for on 4th and a little less than a yard at his own 29 yard line with just over 2 minutes remaining in a 17-17 game between Switzer's Dallas Cowboys and the host Philadelphia Eagles in a December 1995 game. The Cowboys called for a run up the middle by Emmitt Smith, who was stuffed by the Eagles defense on the play (something that didn't happen too often with Emmitt Smith and the Eagles in the mid-1990s). However, the officials ruled the clock had reached the 2 minute warning before the ball was snapped, something replays indicated may not have been true. Given the reprieve, Switzer decided to still go for it on 4th down deep in his own territory late in a tie game, and called the exact same play on the first play after the media timeout. The Eagles defense stuffed Smith's run again in essentially the same way they had the first time, and gained possession on downs. Though the Eagles failed to gain a 1st down on the ensuing possession, they were able to kick a field goal, the winning points in a 20-17 victory that prevented the Cowboys from clinching the division (which they later did) and almost assured the Eagles a playoff berth (something they would clinch the following week).
Interesting you bring up that call by Switzer because that is the exact same decision that NDSU head coach Matt Entz faced last Saturday at SDSU. Fourth and less than a yard from his own 29 yard line, tie game (but 16-16 instead of 17-17) with around 2:30 left to play, and on the road. The difference was NDSU ran a stretch play rather than up the gut which went for a 70 yard TD. That's the ultimate catch-22 situation for a coach because both made the exact same call strategically. The play call and execution were different so one guy looks like a genius and the other guy get a mention in the "COACHIN' BONERS" thread, haha.

CHIP72
October 28th, 2019, 04:19 PM
Interesting you bring up that call by Switzer because that is the exact same decision that NDSU head coach Matt Entz faced last Saturday at SDSU. Fourth and less than a yard from his own 29 yard line, tie game (but 16-16 instead of 17-17) with around 2:30 left to play, and on the road. The difference was NDSU ran a stretch play rather than up the gut which went for a 70 yard TD. That's the ultimate catch-22 situation for a coach because both made the exact same call strategically. The play call and execution were different so one guy looks like a genius and the other guy get a mention in the "COACHIN' BONERS" thread, haha.

Dallas' offense was largely stymied in the 2nd half of that 1995 game, and they were moving against the wind. (IIRC, it was a particularly cold and windy day that day.) The Eagles offense wasn't spectacular that day either, though they did gradually claw their way back into the game in the 2nd half. The real issue is Barry Switzer called the exact same play from the same formation two times in a row.

POD Knows
October 28th, 2019, 06:04 PM
NFL - The pass play called by Pete Carroll in the Seattle V New England Super Bowl at the goal line has to be the all timer. Ball at the 1, throw a pick on a slant play, unbelievable.

mvemjsunpx
October 28th, 2019, 06:10 PM

This did happen, though I still suspect Delaney was covering for a screwup by one of the captains.

The Griz still won convincingly, anyway (it was against Northern Colorado).

PAllen
October 28th, 2019, 06:34 PM
This did happen, though I still suspect Delaney was covering for a screwup by one of the captains.

The Griz still won convincingly, anyway (it was against Northern Colorado).

Doesn't look good for the officials either. We were instructed to ask the captains before we walked out "What are you going to call? What are you going to choose if you win? What are you going to choose if they win and defer? What are you going to choose if they win and choose to receive?

The first prevents the " heads, I mean tails" issue. The rest give you a chance to tell them they should check with their coach when they say they're going to choose to kick if they win or the other team defers.

It doesn't always work. On a few occasions I've had players check with coaches and have the coaches affirm that they want to kick if they win the toss. At least then, the argument at the beginning of the second half is short lived.

mvemjsunpx
October 28th, 2019, 06:38 PM
Doesn't look good for the officials either. We were instructed to ask the captains before we walked out "What are you going to call? What are you going to choose if you win? What are you going to choose if they win and defer? What are you going to choose if they win and choose to receive?

The first prevents the " heads, I mean tails" issue. The rest give you a chance to tell them they should check with their coach when they say they're going to choose to kick if they win or the other team defers.

It doesn't always work. On a few occasions I've had players check with coaches and have the coaches affirm that they want to kick if they win the toss. At least then, the argument at the beginning of the second half is short lived.

My guess was that the captain said "kick" instead of "differ," but who knows? Somebody obviously screwed up; the weather was kinda bad, but not bad enough to warrant kicking off twice.

ysubigred
October 28th, 2019, 07:57 PM
Bo Pelini vs NDSU taking consecutive penalties putting YSU out of the game.This is × 100 worst ever. Football is fixed. [emoji2962]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ngineer
October 28th, 2019, 08:32 PM
I absolutely agree with you here that he was overthinking things.

Literally a brain fart---breaking wind!xsmiley_wix

BisonFan02
October 28th, 2019, 08:37 PM
NDSU Coach Entz going for 2 against SDSU when an extra point puts you up by 11. xlolx

ngineer
October 28th, 2019, 08:39 PM

Lafayette's Garrett did this this year at Princeton. His defense was playing tough, but offense was pathetic. Leopards had ball on about their own 28 with fourth and 2 with them trailing by only 7 or 10 points, I think. This was shortly before the half and rather than punt and force Tigers to go lengthy distance with little time, they went for it an were stuffed. Princeton immediately scores a couple plays later just before the half to take a commanding lead. That had to be demoralizing for Lafayette's players as they were still hanging around up until that point and after having previously stopped Princeton twice inside the five yard line in the first quarter.

Bisonoline
October 28th, 2019, 08:50 PM
NDSU Coach Entz going for 2 against SDSU when an extra point puts you up by 11. xlolx

JFC---------------dont get me started!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BisonFan02
October 28th, 2019, 08:53 PM
JFC---------------dont get me started!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You should've seen the look on the POD and I's faces when that debacle occurred.

POD Knows
October 28th, 2019, 09:00 PM
You should've seen the look on the POD and I's faces when that debacle occurred.It was a double boner play, the decision to go for two, boner #1 and then the actual play call that had no chance of success, boner #2.

Bisonoline
October 29th, 2019, 06:30 PM
You should've seen the look on the POD and I's faces when that debacle occurred.

That had to be EPIC!!!!!!:D

walliver
October 30th, 2019, 12:59 PM
Way back when I recall a Furman @/ AppSt meeting where Furman makes a TD and goes up 1 with seconds on the clock. They go for 2 pt conversion where the pass is intercepted and returned for 2 points. Furman loses by 1 to AppSt. that was bizarre.

The decision itself wasn't bad, he had actually thought it out. The play that was executed was a bad call - he should have picked a safer play. I have seen a quote from him that the play executed on the field was not the play he thought had been called.

He faced a very similar situation at the end of the season and took a knee.

CHIP72
October 30th, 2019, 04:55 PM
Lafayette's Garrett did this this year at Princeton. His defense was playing tough, but offense was pathetic. Leopards had ball on about their own 28 with fourth and 2 with them trailing by only 7 or 10 points, I think. This was shortly before the half and rather than punt and force Tigers to go lengthy distance with little time, they went for it an were stuffed. Princeton immediately scores a couple plays later just before the half to take a commanding lead. That had to be demoralizing for Lafayette's players as they were still hanging around up until that point and after having previously stopped Princeton twice inside the five yard line in the first quarter.

Yeah - I was in the Twin Cities for the Eagles/Vikings game that weekend and didn't watch that game except for a couple minutes while I was on the light rail, and this play occurred during the two minutes I did watch. IIRC, on the Lafayette board I mentioned (and laughed at) Barry Switzer's bonehead decision in 1995 after Garrett's similarly idiotic play call. xlolx

CHIP72
October 30th, 2019, 05:00 PM
One coaching boner not yet mentioned - when Coach Graham Lubbock coached Mike Seaver's friend Boner on the TV show "Growing Pains" back in the late 1980s. :D xlolx xlolx

NDB
October 30th, 2019, 06:09 PM
NFL - The pass play called by Pete Carroll in the Seattle V New England Super Bowl at the goal line has to be the all timer. Ball at the 1, throw a pick on a slant play, unbelievable.

This.

What kind of coach has a designed interception play?