PDA

View Full Version : AGS Top 25 - How They Fared Week 9 2019

superman7515
October 26th, 2019, 11:17 PM
Week 9 is in the books and Central Connecticut State becomes just the third team to reach 7 D1 wins so far this season. No, there is no requirement to reach that mark, but historically it has proven to be the barrier to entry more often than not.

South Dakota State, Villanova, and Bethune-Cookman were all sitting on 6 wins, and all three teams lost one-score games. Quite a few other teams have joined them now, so we should get a few more over the 7 win plateau next week.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Z51pgeh8_Upt9_DYTVQaxHvUVnClKhxXZHMnhP0sxjw/edit?usp=sharing

Ratings will be updated tomorrow, and as always, if you notice any errors, please let me know.

BEAR
October 26th, 2019, 11:29 PM
Nice job Supe! Thanks again!

SDFS
October 26th, 2019, 11:36 PM
How is the AGS Top 25 record determined?

1) Ranking of opponent when the game is play
2) Or current ranking of the opponent

Derby City Duke
October 26th, 2019, 11:40 PM
Thanks Supe! Always a great product.

Catbooster
October 27th, 2019, 12:08 AM

Ranking when the game was played.

Current ranking would require going back over all of the records each week to re-figure.

Hammersmith
October 27th, 2019, 01:48 AM
Ranking when the game was played.

Current ranking would require going back over all of the records each week to re-figure.

It wouldn't need to be re-figured by hand, just a more elaborate spreadsheet that would calculate it automatically. A lot more work to set up, but easy to maintain.

(I used to follow the Sagarin Ratings of NDSU and its opponents by hand each week until another Bison poster adapted one of his spreadsheets for me with pivot tables that automated much of the work.)

ursus arctos horribilis
October 27th, 2019, 01:07 PM
It wouldn't need to be re-figured by hand, just a more elaborate spreadsheet that would calculate it automatically. A lot more work to set up, but easy to maintain.

(I used to follow the Sagarin Ratings of NDSU and its opponents by hand each week until another Bison poster adapted one of his spreadsheets for me with pivot tables that automated much of the work.)

Send supey a pm with the mock up if you have it and see what he wants to do. I know he has said in the past that it is done that way for several reasons though and I don't know if the re figure was the biggest reason but he might look at something like that if the work was mostly done already.

Outsider1
October 27th, 2019, 01:47 PM
As always, thanks again Supe!!

superman7515
October 27th, 2019, 02:20 PM
Computer rankings and SOS have been updated.

As others have said, for me to do it that way would mean I had to go back each week and check the schedule of 40-50 teams (sometimes more than that in the early season) and currently, you'd be surprised by how many hours it takes to out everything together. Most of that is my own fault as I've expanded things over the years; I add links to all of the scores so that people get a little context to go along with the game other than just thinking the final score was the be-all end-all tale of the tape, I added the Sagarin and Massey rankings, after the Ivy's start play each year I add SOS because some people see a difference in 7-1 Kennesaw with an SOS of 113 out of 126 teams and 4-5 UC Davis with an SOS of 10.

That being said, the main reason I do that is for consistency. The NCAA basketball tournament selections look at things like win/loss vs teams in the top 40 among a myriad of other factors, but it doesn't change from week to week, if you beat a Top 40 team in week 1 and that team falls out, you still keep a top 40 win on your resume for the rest of the season. I figure the precedent is already set and has been for decades, why reinvent the wheel?

kalm
October 27th, 2019, 04:18 PM

As others have said, for me to do it that way would mean I had to go back each week and check the schedule of 40-50 teams (sometimes more than that in the early season) and currently, you'd be surprised by how many hours it takes to out everything together. Most of that is my own fault as I've expanded things over the years; I add links to all of the scores so that people get a little context to go along with the game other than just thinking the final score was the be-all end-all tale of the tape, I added the Sagarin and Massey rankings, after the Ivy's start play each year I add SOS because some people see a difference in 7-1 Kennesaw with an SOS of 113 out of 126 teams and 4-5 UC Davis with an SOS of 10.

That being said, the main reason I do that is for consistency. The NCAA basketball tournament selections look at things like win/loss vs teams in the top 40 among a myriad of other factors, but it doesn't change from week to week, if you beat a Top 40 team in week 1 and that team falls out, you still keep a top 40 win on your resume for the rest of the season. I figure the precedent is already set and has been for decades, why reinvent the wheel?

That makes sense and as I'm sure you've pointed out before, there are some teams that were truly top 25 at the time game was played but fell on hard times after that.

SDFS
October 27th, 2019, 05:36 PM

No problem, I was simply looking for clarification. I can see both sides of the argument - thanks

ursus arctos horribilis
October 27th, 2019, 05:37 PM
That makes sense and as I'm sure you've pointed out before, there are some teams that were truly top 25 at the time game was played but fell on hard times after that.

I was thinking of that one too. Sometimes a key loss or two can change a team to something unrecognizable from the what the school colors and jersey say across the front of them over the course of a few games.

SDFS
October 27th, 2019, 07:59 PM
I was thinking of that one too. Sometimes a key loss or two can change a team to something unrecognizable from the what the school colors and jersey say across the front of them over the course of a few games.

The flip side it is a Sac St team this year or Cal Davis last year. Nobody respected them early and it has taken several weeks to even be recolonized. Teams that lost to them early are penalized in particular if they were a ranked team. Losing to Sac St or Davis last year would be thought of as a bad loss.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 28th, 2019, 12:55 PM
The flip side it is a Sac St team this year or Cal Davis last year. Nobody respected them early and it has taken several weeks to even be recolonized. Teams that lost to them early are penalized in particular if they were a ranked team. Losing to Sac St or Davis last year would be thought of as a bad loss.

Well they could have been negged a bit at first but as the voters have realized the mistake of not seeing Sac coming they also re-sort the thoughts on those teams that have lost to them. It can't all be instant but it does seem to move in unison and also fairly quickly in the AGS Poll.

nodak651
October 28th, 2019, 01:04 PM
Well they could have been negged a bit at first but as the voters have realized the mistake of not seeing Sac coming they also re-sort the thoughts on those teams that have lost to them. It can't all be instant but it does seem to move in unison and also fairly quickly in the AGS Poll.

This is why people shouldn't have rules/complain about teams dropping or moving up after bye weeks and FBS losses. Other games make a difference.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 28th, 2019, 01:51 PM
This is why people shouldn't have rules/complain about teams dropping or moving up after bye weeks and FBS losses. Other games make a difference.

Oh I absolutely agree on that one.