PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Situational Selections

erkU
May 13th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Interesting.

http://www.southernpigskin.com/page.cfm?story=11418&cat=exclusives

BeauFoster
May 13th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Pretty good read, but I do have 1 thing to add...

Under center in the fourth quarter: Armanti Edwards, Appalachian State

AE doesn't take snaps under center! (This was a joke...sarcasm)

I think many ASU fans would like to see Edwards get under center on the 3rd or 4th and short situations, instead of always going shotgun. Of course, if this is the biggest thing I have to worry about, I consider myself pretty lucky. xthumbsupx

youwouldno
May 13th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Pretty good I thought...

fuEMO
May 13th, 2007, 12:55 PM
BL does do a job of closing on signing day. He doesn't lose many. One notable exception Justin Durant of Hampton.

PaladinFan
May 13th, 2007, 01:03 PM
I thought only four of those were uncontestable. Edwards as the clutch QB, Bell protecting your quarterback, Felton on the goalline, and Foster as a kick returner.

Saint3333
May 13th, 2007, 04:03 PM
I'd also put Felton on third down, Brown on the interior of the oline, and Lynch as the center fielder of a defense in that category. Actually the only one I'd disagree with would be Foster on a 4th down catch. I've always been impressed his ability after the catch, no in the SoCon is better, but he doesn't have one of top 5 pair of hands (pass catching) in the Conference.

PaladinFan
May 13th, 2007, 07:01 PM
I'd also put Felton on third down, Brown on the interior of the oline, and Lynch as the center fielder of a defense in that category. Actually the only one I'd disagree with would be Foster on a 4th down catch. I've always been impressed his ability after the catch, no in the SoCon is better, but he doesn't have one of top 5 pair of hands (pass catching) in the Conference.

Depends. Third and 2, yes, Jerome Felton. 3rd and 7? Probably someone a bit faster could be used.

Saint3333
May 13th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Depends. Third and 2, yes, Jerome Felton. 3rd and 7? Probably someone a bit faster could be used.

I've seen Felton carry 2 would be tacklers in the black and gold 7 yards unfortunately, but I get what you're saying.

SoCon48
May 14th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Pretty good read, but I do have 1 thing to add...

AE doesn't take snaps under center! (This was a joke...sarcasm)

I think many ASU fans would like to see Edwards get under center on the 3rd or 4th and short situations, instead of always going shotgun. Of course, if this is the biggest thing I have to worry about, I consider myself pretty lucky. xthumbsupx

Going under center for those situations would telegraph our intentions and also hinder us on the passes on those downs.
If ain't broke, don't fix it.

SoCon48
May 14th, 2007, 08:06 PM
BL does do a job of closing on signing day. He doesn't lose many. One notable exception Justin Durant of Hampton.
Too bad he overlooked Edwards.

Mr. C
May 14th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Going under center for those situations would telegraph our intentions and also hinder us on the passes on those downs.
If ain't broke, don't fix it.
Had a recent discussion with QB coach Scott Satterfield about that very subject. The feeling of the ASU staff is they have had pretty good success on short-yardage stuff in the past couple of years that they don't need to do it. They also feel like it limits the threat of the QB when he is under center. They want to still have that option for the QB to take off running in that situation. With the under-center set, about all they could do would be a QB sneak, or a straight hand-off to the RB. West Virginia lines up under center for short-yardage and goal-line situations and the coaches from App State have had a lot of dialog with West Virginia about their reasons for doing it. The West Virginia folks think that sometimes at the FBS level, they need to line up and play power ball. I would like to see ASU run SOME under center stuff, just to give people another look to prepare for and to occasionally be able to run a QB sneak on third and inches. But I can understand their reasoning for not doing it.

GaSouthern
May 14th, 2007, 08:37 PM
more reminder that Jayson is still our whole team :)

sans one other mention of a GSU player

PaladinFan
May 14th, 2007, 09:44 PM

The guy is from SC and has a cousin who plays for FU. He just didn't make the cut grades-wise.

PaladinFan
May 14th, 2007, 09:46 PM
more reminder that Jayson is still our whole team :)

sans one other mention of a GSU player

Uh, did you watch 2006? He was the offense. xsmiley_wix

fuEMO
May 14th, 2007, 10:17 PM

The subject of Edwards and Furman has been at times a heated debate.

The only thing I know for sure is Furman did not overlooked Edwards. Renaldo Gray is his cousin, Shell Dula, Greenwood High head coach is very connected to Furman. The Legendary 'Pinky Babb' whose name graces the Greenwood Stadium is also a Furman grad.

PaladinFan
May 15th, 2007, 01:18 AM
The subject of Edwards and Furman has been at times a heated debate.

The only thing I know for sure is Furman did not overlooked Edwards. Renaldo Gray is his cousin, Shell Dula, Greenwood High head coach is very connected to Furman. The Legendary 'Pinky Babb' whose name graces the Greenwood Stadium is also a Furman grad.

The funny thing is, both he and Richie Williams (also from SC) would have been wide recievers at Furman. xconfusedx

appfan2008
May 15th, 2007, 06:00 AM
looked pretty good to me... glad to see asu well represented!

The Moody1
May 15th, 2007, 07:02 AM
The guy is from SC and has a cousin who plays for FU. He just didn't make the cut grades-wise.

Yeah, he only made the Dean's list at App, I am sure he would have flunked out at Furman. Make up a different story.

SoCon48
May 15th, 2007, 08:40 AM

So Furman didn't take anybody else with worse grades?

Furman has 1% of their admitted students who were in the bottom half of their hs senior class and 8% who are in the bottom three quarters. I would seriously doubt that Edwards was in the bottom half of his senior class.

Likely:
1. Either Furman thought he was too small
2. Not good enough
3. or chose App instead

PaladinFan
May 15th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Yeah, he only made the Dean's list at App, I am sure he would have flunked out at Furman. Make up a different story.

All right, Furman really isn't big on signing prospects from just down the street who have family members who play football for the Paladins from a high school that has the bloody stadium named after one of our graduates. Bobby Lamb probably just fell asleep.

That better?

....no one said he would have flunked out of Furman.

SoCon48
May 15th, 2007, 08:42 AM
The funny thing is, both he and Richie Williams (also from SC) would have been wide recievers at Furman. xconfusedx

Another testament to the brilliance of BL.

Saint3333
May 15th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Rear view mirror.xcoffeex

fuEMO
May 15th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Another testament to the brilliance of BL.

Good gracious… So because BL didn't offer Edwards he's a dumb coach?
During Edwards recruiting, Furman had Gray, Sorrells and Webb on the roster. Cody Worley was Furman's top priority at quarterback for that recruiting class. Worley is now slouch, GSU offered, so did several MAC schools. And his stats weren't bad either: 4,394 yards and 51 touchdowns. Time will tell but I would say Furman is loaded for the future at QB with Sorrells and Worley. As good as Edwards is he wouldn’t have played at Furman last season or probably this season, he made the best choice to go to APP. And he fits their scheme not so sure about Furman’s.

As far as admissions go, Furman can be pretty tuff. South Carolina rural public high schools unfortunately have poor academic track records. We have more than our share of Title 1 schools. Greenwood is a solid school but BL is held accountable to graduate players. And Furman football has a stellar record of graduating players. In recent memory the only player to fall into academic troubles is Tharry Salley. And to this young man's credit he stayed at Furman, worked hard and is now eligible for 07. Salley went to Blackville-Hida, a rural public high school. Salley played in the Shrine Bowl, was heavily recruited by GSU and many others. But for Salley to graduate from Furman it will be a year-to-year challenge. BL does take chances on some borderline players, my guess is two to three every 2 years.

SoCon48
May 15th, 2007, 09:50 AM
And he fits their scheme not so sure about Furman’s.

That just might be the case. I'm still not convinced though that BL doesn't have his cerebral flatulent moments. That go for two thing the other year. You know Bobby going for two was about the only possible way that ASU could have won that game.

fuEMO
May 15th, 2007, 10:15 AM
And he fits their scheme not so sure about Furman’s.

That just might be the case. I'm still not convinced though that BL doesn't have his cerebral flatulent moments. That go for two thing the other year. You know Bobby going for two was about the only possible way that ASU could have won that game.

Lucky for us, and I count myself as one Furman fan that wants BL to be our coach Bobby will have many years to right that play. I'm sure Mr. C is lurking around and could provided an objective view on what I'm about to say. BL was a competitive, smart quarterback, his nickname was Atari. Mainly because he could memorize so many plays and ran through them at the line of scrimmage. As a positions coach he has a great track record, as a head coach is still learning the ropes. But as a recruiter he excels. I thought Bobby Johnson could close the deal but BL has had great success at recruiting better athletes. Bobby is an emotional head coach and I believe he will only get better, smarter and calmer.

OL FU
May 15th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Lucky for us, and I count myself as one Furman fan that wants BL to be our coach Bobby will have many years to right that play. I'm sure Mr. C is lurking around and could provided an objective view on what I'm about to say. BL was a competitive, smart quarterback, his nickname was Atari. Mainly because he could memorize so many plays and ran through them at the line of scrimmage. As a positions coach he has a great track record, as a head coach is still learning the ropes. But as a recruiter he excels. I thought Bobby Johnson could close the deal but BL has had great success at recruiting better athletes. Bobby is an emotional head coach and I believe he will only get better, smarter and calmer.

xsmiley_wix Remember some posts are meant to rile rather than reveal;)

SoCon48
May 15th, 2007, 10:32 AM

Lucky for us, and I count myself as one Furman fan that wants BL to be our coach Bobby will have many years to right that play

On don't get me wrong, I want Bobby L to be Furman's coach for a looong time, too.;)

On the Atari thing, he must have not memorized the outcomes of that play he tried on App or surely he wouldn't have done it.

Bobby will have many years to right that play.

You're right about that. He also has many years to right his 1-5 record vs ASU. Just think, in 5 years, he could have a winning record vs App.
Before Bobby, things were pretty dismal vs the Paladins.

SoCon48
May 15th, 2007, 10:37 AM
xsmiley_wix Remember some posts are meant to rile rather than reveal;)

Now OL FU, you're a nice guy and one of my favorite AGS posters, but it really sounds like you're accusing me of something.;)
Actually, I was just trying to inject a little humor into the thread.

I like Bobby, too. His little fits are quite entertaining on national TV.

OL FU
May 15th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Now OL FU, you're a nice guy and one of my favorite AGS posters, but it really sounds like you're accusing me of something.;)
Actually, I was just trying to inject a little humor into the thread.

I like Bobby, too. His little fits are quite entertaining on national TV.

xthumbsupx :D

Who wants a boring coachxpeacex

fuEMO
May 15th, 2007, 10:57 AM
About the call… I blame that cursed endzone.

PaladinFan
May 15th, 2007, 11:36 AM
I still say the call was a good one. Devon Fowlkes could have put ASU in position to win it with a fg as there were seven seconds on the clock. The problem was execution.

Regardless of what his record is, he has made the playoffs every year but one. I think he is an emotional coach, but the right guy for the job. He recruits well, demands that his players stay sharp in the classroom, and has been an active part of the Furman community for 25 years.

SoCon48
May 15th, 2007, 12:11 PM
ASU would have had to complete a likely long pass (after time consumed on the KO), get out of bounds in time with a 2 or 3 defenders on him. Plus the likely long FG would have had to have been good. Plus a successful FG would have only tied it assuming that Furman made the XP kick.
Lamb was just plain dumb that day. But we love him for it.

How many closely matched games have you seen won with 7 seconds left requiring a kick off run back, a pass, and a FG all in 7 seconds. Or a start from the 20 with 7 seconds left? The odds were far better with a simple XP kick or a run up the middle for 2. Instead, it made ESPN's best plays of the year.

Lamb was just plain dumb that day. But we love him for it and hope he continues to be "an active part of the Furman community for 25 (more) years" because we'll have to go through a coaching change ourselves pretty soon as JM retires.

FURMANFAN
May 15th, 2007, 12:32 PM
So Furman didn't take anybody else with worse grades?

Furman has 1% of their admitted students who were in the bottom half of their hs senior class and 8% who are in the bottom three quarters. I would seriously doubt that Edwards was in the bottom half of his senior class.

Likely:
1. Either Furman thought he was too small
2. Not good enough
3. or chose App instead

At Furman every athletic recruit who scores less than 1100 on the SAT or has a low verbal score must be approved by an academic review board. Only 15 exceptions are allowed per year for all sports and there is a quota by team. Edwards SAT was 810 according to Rivals. It would have been next to impossible to get him in.

OL FU
May 15th, 2007, 12:48 PM
ASU would have had to complete a likely long pass (after time consumed on the KO), get out of bounds in time with a 2 or 3 defenders on him. Plus the likely long FG would have had to have been good. Plus a successful FG would have only tied it assuming that Furman made the XP kick.

How many closely matched games have you seen won with 7 seconds left requiring a kick off run back, a pass, and a FG all in 7 seconds. Or a start from the 20 with 7 seconds left? The odds were far better with a simple XP kick or a run up the middle for 2. Instead, it made ESPN's best plays of the year.

Lamb was just plain dumb that day. But we love him for it and hope he continues to be "an active part of the Furman community for 25 (more) years" because we'll have to go through a coaching change ourselves pretty soon as JM retires.

I agree but more so because the play that was run was all wrong. It was a set up for an interception. I also , think we should have just kicked it.

But I have forgiven him. I like our coach and I like our chances with him running the show.

PaladinFan
May 15th, 2007, 02:16 PM

Check your scores. Furman went up with the touchdown 15-14. The two point conversion would have made it 17-14 (3 pt lead). An extra point would have made the game a 16-14 lead and ASU could have won it with a field goal (you had a good kicker and a very good return man). ASU instead returns the 2 pt try and wins 16-15.

If Furman had been successful on the try a field goal would have only tied it. He was forcing Fowlkes to take it the distance or for the ASU quarterback to launch a hail mary with no time. No one could have predicted that what did happen would have.

Again, I can see where Lamb was thinking. Napier made a bad throw, ASU DE made a great play. Hindsight says that first year coach made a bad call, he gambled and lost. It was still a pretty safe gamble.

Longrifle
May 15th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Check your scores. Furman went up with the touchdown 15-14. The two point conversion would have made it 17-14 (3 pt lead). An extra point would have made the game a 16-14 lead and ASU could have won it with a field goal (you had a good kicker and a very good return man). ASU instead returns the 2 pt try and wins 16-15.

If Furman had been successful on the try a field goal would have only tied it. He was forcing Fowlkes to take it the distance or for the ASU quarterback to launch a hail mary with no time. No one could have predicted that what did happen would have.

Again, I can see where Lamb was thinking. Napier made a bad throw, ASU DE made a great play. Hindsight says that first year coach made a bad call, he gambled and lost. It was still a pretty safe gamble.

We'll just have to disagree. Your team basically called the only play that could have won us the game thanks to Murphy's Law. We struggled that game offensively. Heck one of our two touchdowns was by our defense. Your defense stymied us the whole game except one series. You're ahead, you kick the extra point, you stay ahead. You squib the kickoff so Fowlkes can't return it, and then your defense would have continued to stop us the last 5 seconds.

PaladinFan
May 15th, 2007, 04:25 PM
We'll just have to disagree. Your team basically called the only play that could have won us the game thanks to Murphy's Law. We struggled that game offensively. Heck one of our two touchdowns was by our defense. Your defense stymied us the whole game except one series. You're ahead, you kick the extra point, you stay ahead. You squib the kickoff so Fowlkes can't return it, and then your defense would have continued to stop us the last 5 seconds.

yes, well, murphy's law would have had you throwing a 60 yrd touchdown pass as time expired.

It still stings, it does. People still remember the Kentucky/LSU game a few years back, or the "music city miracle" that propelled Tennessee into the Superbowl. Stuff like that just happens. Can't plan for it.

youwouldno
May 15th, 2007, 04:59 PM
The Paladins didn't offer Edwards, almost certainly due to academics, but even so he's not really that great a fit for the Paladin offense. His speed is elite at QB but at WR it's not as exceptional. Furman's passing schemes are much different than App's. Players usually have certain schemes that favor their strengths and thus most players are more valuable (and effective) in one system than they would be in another. The Paladins have a couple very, very good young QBs that fit the system (Sorrells & Worley).

james_lawfirm
May 15th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Good gracious… So because BL didn't offer Edwards he's a dumb coach?
During Edwards recruiting, Furman had Gray, Sorrells and Webb on the roster. Cody Worley was Furman's top priority at quarterback for that recruiting class. Worley is now slouch, GSU offered, so did several MAC schools. And his stats weren't bad either: 4,394 yards and 51 touchdowns. Time will tell but I would say Furman is loaded for the future at QB with Sorrells and Worley. As good as Edwards is he wouldn’t have played at Furman last season or probably this season, he made the best choice to go to APP. And he fits their scheme not so sure about Furman’s.

FuEMO:
I think you have hit the nail on the head here. I have always thought that what works at one school, might not work at another. No longer can a coach just go find the "best athletes." Today they must find the athletes that best fit their program. ASU has had the luxury for the last few years of recruiting players that fit their scheme. I am referring specifically to the spread, no-huddle offense. If it gets any better than Edwards as QB, I don't know how - maybe Texas w/ Vince Young? Just as Gray would not be a good fit at ASU as QB, Edwards would probably not do well at Furman.

And, for the record, I think Bobby Lamb is a fine coach who usually makes good decisions. However, his two temper tantrums at ASU that I have witnessed are to his detriment. Sometimes, poop happens. He cannot lose his cool when it does. Said tantrum affects his whole team. A calm and cool coach is MUCH better in holding a team together in adversity.

Further, I think the best game of the year will be the ASU/Furman game. Hope to see you there. I am looking forward to it.

james_lawfirm
May 15th, 2007, 07:41 PM
I still say the call was a good one. Devon Fowlkes could have put ASU in position to win it with a fg as there were seven seconds on the clock. The problem was execution.

Now, now. Are you really defending the decision to go for two? xeekx xeekx xeekx

Of all the bone-headed calls I have ever seen, this was the best (or worst). This is the call that will go down in history as the dumbest ever.

Josh Jefferies must be given some credit (the DE who intercepted it) as does Derrick Black who took the pitch & ran it back. They were ready for it.

However, what made it all possible was Bobby's call.

The fact that ESPN ran replays over and over and over speaks to the quality of the call. The problem was not execution - the problem was the call itself.

But, all that aside, I cannot wait for this year's game.

PaladinFan
May 15th, 2007, 10:02 PM
One temper tantrum was OK. That touchback that wasn't changed the entire game. I was yelling louder than Bobby was at the television :)

PaladinFan
May 15th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Now, now. Are you really defending the decision to go for two? xeekx xeekx xeekx

Of all the bone-headed calls I have ever seen, this was the best (or worst). This is the call that will go down in history as the dumbest ever.

Josh Jefferies must be given some credit (the DE who intercepted it) as does Derrick Black who took the pitch & ran it back. They were ready for it.

However, what made it all possible was Bobby's call.

The fact that ESPN ran replays over and over and over speaks to the quality of the call. The problem was not execution - the problem was the call itself.

But, all that aside, I cannot wait for this year's game.

I'm not defending his decision. All I am saying is that given the game, situation, and personell I can see why he decided to do what he did.

SoCon48
May 16th, 2007, 11:19 AM
One temper tantrum was OK. That touchback that wasn't changed the entire game. I was yelling louder than Bobby was at the television :)

If you watched the replays and explanation later on, you realized that Bobby was in the wrong about that play the whole time. he should have been ejected. Not for just throwing the tantrum but for not knowing the rules better. :)

PaladinFan
May 16th, 2007, 03:27 PM
If you watched the replays and explanation later on, you realized that Bobby was in the wrong about that play the whole time. he should have been ejected. Not for just throwing the tantrum but for not knowing the rules better. :)

I watched the replay over and over. You could make an argument for both calls. It was obvsious, however, that his intention was to knee the ball, not advance and then backtrack. He stepped backward to catch the ball. The rule is in place to keep people from moving forward and then running back into the endzone. He did neither.

Needless to say, the entire game changed on a ticky tack little call. ASU took over the game on a play the refs gave them.

Furman fans, mind you, are happy with their coach. Remember it was your school's fanbase that was trying to can their coach in 2004.

Saint3333
May 16th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Wasn't that last year, all the Furman wins are starting to run togetherxsmiley_wix .

Seriously though, the play that changed the game was the blocked FG for a touchdown near the end of the first half, not the correct call by the ref of placing the ball on the one.

Wow this thread has taken a weird turn...

PaladinFan
May 16th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Wasn't that last year, all the Furman wins are starting to run togetherxsmiley_wix .

Seriously though, the play that changed the game was the blocked FG for a touchdown near the end of the first half, not the correct call by the ref of placing the ball on the one.

Wow this thread has taken a weird turn...

Agree, without that blocked fg Furman takes a 10-7 lead into halftime. However, ASU managed to score something like 28 points on 83 yards of offense in the second half (or some insane figure like that). Those little calls turn the tide of a game quickly. It's hard to get off your goalline when you don't have #45 to use.

Mr. C
May 17th, 2007, 12:02 AM
At Furman every athletic recruit who scores less than 1100 on the SAT or has a low verbal score must be approved by an academic review board. Only 15 exceptions are allowed per year for all sports and there is a quota by team. Edwards SAT was 810 according to Rivals. It would have been next to impossible to get him in.
Just so you know, Edwards was an honor student at Appalachian State this year. Maybe the SAT score (if that indeed was his score, not sure I'd trust Rivals on something like that) wasn't a good indication of the type of student Edwards is.

Mr. C
May 17th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Since when is Mr. C "lurking around?" xeekx

I like Bobby Lamb. He is great to deal with, if you are a member of the media. Always has plenty of time for members of the media. And much better to quote than Mr. Vanilla, Bobby Johnson, was. Johnson was one of the most boring coaches I've ever interviewed. You were lucky to get one useable quote out of him. Bobby Lamb has always been the center of attention, as a star quarterback, so he fit right into his role as a head coach in that regard. Lamb has continued the stuff that has made Furman one of the top 10 programs in FCS for so many years. He is a solid coach. My only criticism of him is that he sometimes seems to get caught up in the emotion of things in the last minutes of games and makes bad decisions (not JUST the Miracle on the Mountain game). I also would like to see Lamb have a better demeanor with officials when calls don't go his way. He has had a couple of pretty bad displays of sportsmanship in his last two trips to Boone. I also say that Furman could have won a couple of national championships in 2004-05, if a couple of breaks had gone the Paladins' way.

Mr. C
May 17th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Lucky for us, and I count myself as one Furman fan that wants BL to be our coach Bobby will have many years to right that play

On don't get me wrong, I want Bobby L to be Furman's coach for a looong time, too.;)

On the Atari thing, he must have not memorized the outcomes of that play he tried on App or surely he wouldn't have done it.

Bobby will have many years to right that play.

You're right about that. He also has many years to right his 1-5 record vs ASU. Just think, in 5 years, he could have a winning record vs App.
Before Bobby, things were pretty dismal vs the Paladins.
FYI, Bobby Johnson's record against Appalachian State was just 4-4. And one other thing, there was a lot of talk about Bobby Lamb being on the hot seat in 2004 after the Paladins went 6-5 in 2003, when they probably had the best talent in the Southern Conference.

PaladinFan
May 17th, 2007, 12:56 AM
FYI, Bobby Johnson's record against Appalachian State was just 4-4. And one other thing, there was a lot of talk about Bobby Lamb being on the hot seat in 2004 after the Paladins went 6-5 in 2003, when they probably had the best talent in the Southern Conference.

Who was talking?

He had the best defensive talent in the Southern Conference. That team lacked a good player at one very critical position, quarterback. Bo Moore didn't have what it took, and when he went down we relied on a freshman who ran around in the backfield aimlessly.

There aren't many coaches who sport Lamb's record over his first 5 years (43-15 against FCS teams).

Mr. C
May 17th, 2007, 06:27 AM
Who was talking, you ask? Quite a few Paladin fans at the time. If Bobby Lamb had experienced another year in 2004 like he had in 2003, the word around was that Furman was going to make a change, similar to what they did when they fired Jimmy Satterfield after the 1993 season (Satterfield's teams slipped to 9-4, 7-4, 6-4, and 5-5-1 from 1990-1993 in his last four seasons after he had won the 1988 national championship).

Bo Moore got injured in 2003 in the middle of the season in a brutally physical 13-10 loss to Appalachian State. Furman lost most of its games AFTER Moore went out and freshman Josh Stepp came in at QB. Moore wasn't a bad QB, though he wasn't Billy Napier or Ingle Martin as a passer.

I wasn't criticizing Lamb's five-year record at all. Like I pointed out, he was a couple of plays away from probably winning back-to-back national championships in 2004-05. I honestly felt Furman and Georgia Southern were the best teams in the country in 2004, but both got upset in the playoffs. We all know that Furman and Appalachian State were both pretty even in 2005, splitting two games by the narrowest of margins. I dare say that Furman would be right up there with Appalachian State (47-17, two NCs), Montana, New Hampshire and maybe one or two more teams over that time frame.

Longrifle
May 17th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Who was talking, you ask? Quite a few Paladin fans at the time. If Bobby Lamb had experienced another year in 2004 like he had in 2003, the word around was that Furman was going to make a change, similar to what they did when they fired Jimmy Satterfield after the 1993 season (Satterfield's teams slipped to 9-4, 7-4, 6-4, and 5-5-1 from 1990-1993 in his last four seasons after he had won the 1988 national championship).

Bo Moore got injured in 2003 in the middle of the season in a brutally physical 13-10 loss to Appalachian State. Furman lost most of its games AFTER Moore went out and freshman Josh Stepp came in at QB. Moore wasn't a bad QB, though he wasn't Billy Napier or Ingle Martin as a passer.

I wasn't criticizing Lamb's five-year record at all. Like I pointed out, he was a couple of plays away from probably winning back-to-back national championships in 2004-05. I honestly felt Furman and Georgia Southern were the best teams in the country in 2004, but both got upset in the playoffs. We all know that Furman and Appalachian State were both pretty even in 2005, splitting two games by the narrowest of margins. I dare say that Furman would be right up there with Appalachian State (47-17, two NCs), Montana, New Hampshire and maybe one or two more teams over that time frame.

Did Furman fire a coach that won them a National Championship? I find that odd when Furman fans always want to bring up that App wanted to fire Moore before he won his first national championship (I think there is post to that effect in this thread).

OL FU
May 17th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Did Furman fire a coach that won them a National Championship? I find that odd when Furman fans always want to bring up that App wanted to fire Moore before he won his first national championship (I think there is post to that effect in this thread).

Yes Satterfield - one of the orginal coaches that came with Baker, Sheridan's offensive coordinator and head coach for about 8 years. I always thought his interest level went way down when Sparky Woods beat him out for the USC job after Furman won the NC. After winning the NC and having two more good years afterward, Furman football headed down hill in the early 90's. I don't know anyone who has said the change was not justified.

People bring up ASU fans wanting to fire Moore usually when ASU fans start criticizing Lambxrolleyesx

SoCon48
May 17th, 2007, 07:57 AM
I watched the replay over and over. You could make an argument for both calls. It was obvsious, however, that his intention was to knee the ball, not advance and then backtrack. He stepped backward to catch the ball. The rule is in place to keep people from moving forward and then running back into the endzone. He did neither.

Needless to say, the entire game changed on a ticky tack little call. ASU took over the game on a play the refs gave them.

Furman fans, mind you, are happy with their coach. Remember it was your school's fanbase that was trying to can their coach in 2004.

Ticky tack? We wouldn't be having this discussion if he had just done the smart and obvious thing and let the ball go on into the endzone. When you try to field the ball where he did, you run that risk every time. Every return man has to make that split second decision. He made the wrong one as many of our guys have done. I too have watched the tape over and over. The refs were right. Close but right.

As to the fanbase at ASU. It wasn't the fanbase itself it was certain vocal fans who convinced many other casual followers and some donors that our program was better than our coach at the time.

Needless to say, cooler heads prevailed and the new AD was smart enough to make his own decision.

OL FU
May 17th, 2007, 07:59 AM
And much better to quote than Mr. Vanilla, Bobby Johnson, was. Johnson was one of the most boring coaches I've ever interviewed.

He was a Clemson Grad.xrolleyesx

:D :D :D :D :D :D

SoCon48
May 17th, 2007, 08:18 AM

Thank you. Johnson was 4-4 vs ASU. Lamb is 1-5. Lamb's only win was by 6 in Greeneville.

As I said, I hope for ASU's sake, Lamb stays a long time in Greenveille. He's not that bad, but is preferable. As far as the media goes, I don't read Lamb's quotes or interviews very often unless someone pastes one on here. But I have noticed he does a good job smoothing over and justifying his actions.

SoCon48
May 17th, 2007, 08:23 AM
He was a Clemson Grad.xrolleyesx

:D :D :D :D :D :D

I'm glad Furman now has a much more exciting 1-5 vs ASU coach.;)
Keep up the good work, Bobby.

FURMANFAN
May 17th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Just so you know, Edwards was an honor student at Appalachian State this year.

By honor student I assume you mean Dean's list. If so, you might want to research that claim further.

Saint3333
May 17th, 2007, 12:03 PM
By honor student I assume you mean Dean's list. If so, you might want to research that claim further.

Yeah Mr. C typically makes this crap up as he goes...xrolleyesx

http://www.goasu.com/article/10337/

ASU Athletics Places 140 on Academic Honor Roll
by Appalachian Sports Information

Janury 25, 2007 - BOONE, N.C. — One hundred and forty students were named to Appalachian State University athletics’ 2006 fall semester academic honor roll, coordinator of academic services for athletes Jean Roberts announced on Thursday. The honorees will be recognized for their achievements during Appalachian’s basketball doubleheader on Wednesday, Feb. 14 at the Holmes Center.

A student must earn a 3.25 grade point average or higher to earn honor-roll distinction for a given semester.

FOOTBALL
Matt Corbin (exercise science)
Dominick Dingle (health education)
Armanti Edwards (graphic arts and imaging)
Clayton Hall (management)
Brad Hardee (biology)
Corbett Harris (graphic arts and imaging)
Adam Kassouf (health promotion)
Jordan Kelly (industrial technology)
Daniel Kilgore (health education)
Chase Laws (criminal justice)
Josh Miller (exercise science)
Jacob Newton (industrial technology)
Cory Rycroft (physical education — K-12)
John Sevier (math education)
Jeremy Wiggins (graphic arts and imaging)
Anthony Williams (graphic arts and imaging)
Russell Wilson (risk and insurance)

Appstate29
May 17th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Yeah Mr. C typically makes this crap up as he goes...xrolleyesx

http://www.goasu.com/article/10337/

ASU Athletics Places 140 on Academic Honor Roll
by Appalachian Sports Information

Janury 25, 2007 - BOONE, N.C. — One hundred and forty students were named to Appalachian State University athletics’ 2006 fall semester academic honor roll, coordinator of academic services for athletes Jean Roberts announced on Thursday. The honorees will be recognized for their achievements during Appalachian’s basketball doubleheader on Wednesday, Feb. 14 at the Holmes Center.

A student must earn a 3.25 grade point average or higher to earn honor-roll distinction for a given semester.

FOOTBALL
Brad Hardee (biology)

Of course, graphic arts and imaging isn't exactly rocket science :) just kidding, academic honor roll is a great achievement.

AppGuy04
May 17th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Hey, a college degree is a college degree

FURMANFAN
May 17th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Mr. C didn't indicate it was an athletic honor roll. I'm glad you cleared that up. Is there a non-athletic honor roll? One for the band? Camera club? I read honor student and I think dean's list or higher. I'll know better next time.

Mountaineer
May 17th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Indeed, I would imagine a 3.25 and Deans List at ASU would equate to a C+ average or something at Harv..I mean Furman. xrolleyesx xwhistlex

OL FU
May 17th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Indeed, I would imagine a 3.25 and Deans List at ASU would equate to a C+ average or something at Harv..I mean Furman. xrolleyesx xwhistlex

More likely flunking out:p xsmiley_wix

Mountaineer
May 17th, 2007, 01:56 PM
More likely flunking out:p xsmiley_wix

xlolx xlolx

xnonox xnonox OL JERK! xnonox xnonox xthumbsupx

Saint3333
May 17th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Mr. C didn't indicate it was an athletic honor roll. I'm glad you cleared that up. Is there a non-athletic honor roll? One for the band? Camera club? I read honor student and I think dean's list or higher. I'll know better next time.

That is the Dean's List...xeyebrowx

3.25 - Dean's List

3.85 - Chancellor's List

Nice try though.

Give the kid respect, he held a 3.25 GPA while playing in 15 games in his first semester of college. I don't know about you, but I'd beat the first semester was my the worst for a large number of us armchair QBs.

FURMANFAN
May 17th, 2007, 02:37 PM
See you thought honor student meant dean's list too. If that's the case you need to inform the App registrar. He is not listed on the spring 2007 list. Excuse me. Let me be more precise. He is not listed with the other SC residents. Assuming no clerical error, it probably means he didn't take enough hours to qualify.

asu3peat
May 17th, 2007, 02:53 PM
I believe you have to take 12 hours and hold a 3.4 gpa or 13+ hours and hold a 3.25 gpa to make dean's list if I'm not mistaken. Congrats to all student athletes who make a 3.0+ gpa!

PaladinFan
May 17th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Who is this Dean, and why do I care about his list?

youwouldno
May 17th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Lamb is the last FCS coach to beat App St, anywhere, so I'm not sure that makes him some great asset for the Appies.

Most football fans, 99%, have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to coaches. Furman fans that don't like Lamb, App fans that wanted Moore's head, it's all the same phenomenon. Fans think their team should be the best and, when they aren't, blame the coach. It's a competitive enterprise. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. There's something mildly nauseating when, for instance, App fans go from spewing invectives at their own coach to gloating and putting down the competition, when their coach has success.

Mr. C
May 18th, 2007, 01:05 AM
You might want to research things a little further before you question my facts, too. I NEVER said he made the Dean's List. Don't assume things you don't read.

SoCon48
May 18th, 2007, 10:48 AM
See you thought honor student meant dean's list too. If that's the case you need to inform the App registrar. He is not listed on the spring 2007 list. Excuse me. Let me be more precise. He is not listed with the other SC residents. Assuming no clerical error, it probably means he didn't take enough hours to qualify.

140 athletes made the school's Academic Honor Roll. Not the Athletic Honor Roll

Haven't heard a word about Spring.
Whatever, here's the announcement from goasu.com January 25th. This requirement pertains to all students but the following is those on that list who are also on the football roster:

Quote:

Brad Hardee (biology)

BTW, that's baloney about the number of hours. One is not included without satisfying the course load first.

SoCon48
May 18th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Lamb is the last FCS coach to beat App St, anywhere, so I'm not sure that makes him some great asset for the Appies.

Most football fans, 99%, have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to coaches. Furman fans that don't like Lamb, App fans that wanted Moore's head, it's all the same phenomenon. Fans think their team should be the best and, when they aren't, blame the coach. It's a competitive enterprise. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. There's something mildly nauseating when, for instance, App fans go from spewing invectives at their own coach to gloating and putting down the competition, when their coach has success.

Don't really care what Furman fans want. Just saying we prefer for Furman to have a coach who is 1-5 (Lamb) vs us than the one who was 4-4. Simple mathematics.
In that regard, Lamb IS an asset to ASU.

PaladinFan
May 18th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Don't really care what Furman fans want. Just saying we prefer for Furman to have a coach who is 1-5 (Lamb) vs us than the one who was 4-4. Simple mathematics.

He's still 1-1 in Greenville! xthumbsupx

fuEMO
May 18th, 2007, 03:25 PM
So all this Edwards stuff was started because?

I guess if there should be any debate its "does Lamb deserve the closer title from Southern Pigskin?" Lamb's recruiting ability shouldn't be judged on the go for 2 or if he did or did not recruit Edwards.

Let's debate head to head. Players like Philip Morris and Seth Skogen from the last two classes. Did BL really get them over Moore?

FURMANFAN
May 18th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Janury 25, 2007 - BOONE, N.C. — One hundred and forty students were named to Appalachian State University athletics’ 2006 fall semester academic honor roll, coordinator of academic services for athletes Jean Roberts announced on Thursday.

It says it's an athletics honor roll. Hours taken baloney? If you say so.

Mr C. I stated I was making an assumption. I didn't know there was a sub-category of honor student for athletes. In my original post, which you answered with the "honor student" line, I said nothing about grades at App. I only wrote that given his reported SAT score his admissability at Furman would be iffy and not decided by the coaching staff. Making this list, whatever it is, isn't relevant.

Mr. C
May 18th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Can we get off our pedestals for a moment and admit that almost ALL of the schools in the SoCon are very good academically. They wouldn't be in this league if that wasn't the case. Georgia Southern is an example of a school that has worked hard to improve its academic standing and the others have always been pretty solid. I get sick of this putting a player down because of his academic skills. I know Armanti Edwards and I know he is a smart kid. For him to have stepped in and led a team to a national championship as a freshman QB and also to have done well in the classroom says that. And like I said earlier, you better be careful quoting SAT scores from a suspect website. I don't know what Armanti's SAT scores were and frankly I don't care. There are more ways to predict academic success than SAT scores. Good grief, it's like we're back to dissecting 40-yard dash times again. In Edwards' case, a family member (QB Renaldo Gray) is a student at Furman (and I must say an extremely nice, young man, who honors Furman with his demeanor). If Gray, who is from almost the exact same background as Edwards (grew up around each other, went to the same schools etc.), is able to handle Furman academics, I imagine Edwards would do fine there as well.

youwouldno
May 18th, 2007, 04:36 PM

Problem with your 'logic': Lamb hasn't faced the same App St teams Johnson did. So their records are not comparable in any way, and there is no way to know which you would rather face. It's kind of a meaningless point, but if you're going to insult Lamb, do it more intelligently.

Saint3333
May 18th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Problem with your 'logic': Lamb hasn't faced the same App St teams Johnson did. So their records are not comparable in any way, and there is no way to know which you would rather face. It's kind of a meaningless point, but if you're going to insult Lamb, do it more intelligently.

I agree Furman would be 1-5 versus ASU the last 5 years no matter who was coaching.

Well maybe 2-4. GO FOR TWO BOBBY xsmiley_wix.

youwouldno
May 18th, 2007, 07:06 PM
I agree Furman would be 1-5 versus ASU the last 5 years no matter who was coaching.

Well maybe 2-4. GO FOR TWO BOBBY xsmiley_wix.

Lol-- good point. 2-4 it is.

BrevardMountaineer03
May 18th, 2007, 08:41 PM
FuEMO:
I think you have hit the nail on the head here. I have always thought that what works at one school, might not work at another. No longer can a coach just go find the "best athletes." Today they must find the athletes that best fit their program. ASU has had the luxury for the last few years of recruiting players that fit their scheme. I am referring specifically to the spread, no-huddle offense. If it gets any better than Edwards as QB, I don't know how - maybe Texas w/ Vince Young? Just as Gray would not be a good fit at ASU as QB, Edwards would probably not do well at Furman.

And, for the record, I think Bobby Lamb is a fine coach who usually makes good decisions. However, his two temper tantrums at ASU that I have witnessed are to his detriment. Sometimes, poop happens. He cannot lose his cool when it does. Said tantrum affects his whole team. A calm and cool coach is MUCH better in holding a team together in adversity.

Further, I think the best game of the year will be the ASU/Furman game. Hope to see you there. I am looking forward to it.

James,
I always enjoy your level headed postsxthumbsupx

I think, going back to the original topic that it was a pretty solid list.

If I had to have a Fullback and Halfback in the backfield I would want Felton (Furman) and Richardson (Appalachian State). Felton is what scares me most about the Furman game, if he had played in the ASU game last year the score would not have been 40-7. I still think ASU wins, but not at that margin. Furman could have controlled the ball better.

Ohh, I smell footballs in the air!!! I can't wait till September!

Go App!

FURMANFAN
May 18th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Can we get off our pedestals for a moment and admit that almost ALL of the schools in the SoCon are very good academically. They wouldn't be in this league if that wasn't the case. Georgia Southern is an example of a school that has worked hard to improve its academic standing and the others have always been pretty solid. I get sick of this putting a player down because of his academic skills. I know Armanti Edwards and I know he is a smart kid. For him to have stepped in and led a team to a national championship as a freshman QB and also to have done well in the classroom says that. And like I said earlier, you better be careful quoting SAT scores from a suspect website. I don't know what Armanti's SAT scores were and frankly I don't care. There are more ways to predict academic success than SAT scores. Good grief, it's like we're back to dissecting 40-yard dash times again. In Edwards' case, a family member (QB Renaldo Gray) is a student at Furman (and I must say an extremely nice, young man, who honors Furman with his demeanor). If Gray, who is from almost the exact same background as Edwards (grew up around each other, went to the same schools etc.), is able to handle Furman academics, I imagine Edwards would do fine there as well.

Huh. Pedestal? I was only attempting to explain how Furman handles certain cases. I didn't put anyone down. I wrote nothing about any other schools academics. I only pointed out that if the score was as reported it wouldn't be a coach's decision. Period. If you perceived that as criticism perhaps it's in your mind.

SoCon48
May 18th, 2007, 11:35 PM
Huh. Pedestal? I was only attempting to explain how Furman handles certain cases. I didn't put anyone down. I wrote nothing about any other schools academics. I only pointed out that if the score was as reported it wouldn't be a coach's decision. Period. If you perceived that as criticism perhaps it's in your mind.

But to imply Edwards could not get in at Furman is a joke. A hillarious joke! You know it and we know it!
Not wanting to take a chance on him or not needing a QB is another whole matter.
But anyway, so far he not only has done well at ASU academically and led us to a National Championship in a 15 game season!
Enough said!!

SoCon48
May 18th, 2007, 11:37 PM

No kidding!xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

SoCon48
May 18th, 2007, 11:44 PM
It says it's an athletics honor roll. Hours taken baloney? If you say so.

Mr C. I stated I was making an assumption. I didn't know there was a sub-category of honor student for athletes. In my original post, which you answered with the "honor student" line, I said nothing about grades at App. I only wrote that given his reported SAT score his admissability at Furman would be iffy and not decided by the coaching staff. Making this list, whatever it is, isn't relevant.

For the umpteent time! The list is taken from the university's total student honor roll list for last Fall.. The 140 the athletic department released are simply the athletes who made that same student honor roll list.

It's really quite simple when you don't try to twist the semantics.

seantaylor
May 19th, 2007, 02:46 AM
People need to realize that GSU is a very good academic school. But it is hard when you are the biggest school in the conference by far. It's is easy to be selectful at Wofford when you have a thousand students.

FURMANFAN
May 19th, 2007, 01:05 PM
For the umpteent time! The list is taken from the university's total student honor roll list for last Fall.. The 140 the athletic department released are simply the athletes who made that same student honor roll list.

It's really quite simple when you don't try to twist the semantics.

Okay. Where is the entire list published? It is not semantics it is what was written.

BeauFoster
May 19th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Okay. Where is the entire list published? It is not semantics it is what was written.

Good grief...you want a link, here it is. Maybe this will put all this crap to bed. Who cares whether FU wanted Edwards or not? He ended up at ASU. That is all that matters.

http://goasu.com/article/10337/?fSession=56e97b765dee58ffea3f7e7702ee4b6cf21bce32

SoCon48
May 19th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Good grief...you want a link, here it is. Maybe this will put all this crap to bed. Who cares whether FU wanted Edwards or not? He ended up at ASU. That is all that matters.

Actually Beau, that is just the 140 athletes who made the academic honor roll. The entire list would probably be around 1000 of our of our 14,000 or so students.

http://goasu.com/article/10337/?fSession=56e97b765dee58ffea3f7e7702ee4b6cf21bce32

Actually Beau, that is just the 140 athletes who made the academic honor roll. The entire list would probably be around 1000 of our of our 14,000 or so students.

Regardless of the furman jabs, Edwards pulled a 3.25 or higher. Pretty good among 14,000 students while leading a team to a 15 game season and the National Championship as a freshman.

My point is that if Furman wanted or needed him badly enough they could have gotten him in.
That's their problem not ours.

SoCon48
May 19th, 2007, 03:11 PM

I suggest you search the archives of the Watauga paper back in January.
I really don't care whether you find it or not or whether it is published in some S Carolina newspaper.

youwouldno
May 19th, 2007, 03:29 PM
I'm puzzled as to why the Appies are in such a rage over the fact Furman has higher admission standards. Those standards are obviously lower for athletes (as they are at every university that has an athletic program), but nonetheless fairly high. I remember our 2004 recruiting class had a higher average SAT score than the regular admissions standards for a number of SoCon schools.

The fact is, there are football players at App St that, for academic reasons, would not be recruited by Furman. I've heard that includes Edwards but I don't know personally. Whether Edwards is in fact a good student is irrelevant-- admissions people can't predict the future, they only rely on what they have in front of them. Likewise, there are some players at Furman that Harvard wouldn't take.

I think the App Staters get upset because they think Furman fans are trying to say we are handicapped by academic requirements... at least personally I don't feel that way at all. In fact, Furman's academics are a big key to the Paladins' competitiveness. When you look at who Furman recruits against, other than SoCon programs of course, academics plays a major role: high-academic FCS programs (PL, Ivy), and academically weaker, lower FBS programs (MTSU, East Carolina, etc.). A couple years ago Lamb went 3 for 3 against ECU, and I would be shocked if academics weren't the overriding reason.

The point is, Furman and App have somewhat different admission standards, but it's not really a disadvantage for Furman in the long run.

SoCon48
May 19th, 2007, 03:38 PM
I'm puzzled as to why the Appies are in such a rage over the fact Furman has higher admission standards. Those standards are obviously lower for athletes (as they are at every university that has an athletic program), but nonetheless fairly high. I remember our 2004 recruiting class had a higher average SAT score than the regular admissions standards for a number of SoCon schools.

The fact is, there are football players at App St that, for academic reasons, would not be recruited by Furman. I've heard that includes Edwards but I don't know personally. Whether Edwards is in fact a good student is irrelevant-- admissions people can't predict the future, they only rely on what they have in front of them. Likewise, there are some players at Furman that Harvard wouldn't take.

I think the App Staters get upset because they think Furman fans are trying to say we are handicapped by academic requirements... at least personally I don't feel that way at all. In fact, Furman's academics are a big key to the Paladins' competitiveness. When you look at who Furman recruits against, other than SoCon programs of course, academics plays a major role: high-academic FCS programs (PL, Ivy), and academically weaker, lower FBS programs (MTSU, East Carolina, etc.). A couple years ago Lamb went 3 for 3 against ECU, and I would be shocked if academics weren't the overriding reason.

The point is, Furman and App have somewhat different admission standards, but it's not really a disadvantage for Furman in the long run.

No one that I know says Furman doesn't have higher standards, but ASU is not the the hick school your key people like to imply in the media.

Mr. C
May 19th, 2007, 03:59 PM
It is not just your post and this is not just aimed at Furman supporters, it is a basic arrogance that exists and has for some time that the schools like Furman, Wofford and Davidson are somehow better than the public schools in the SoCon. I am not an Appalachian State graduate. I have never taken a course there (though I might get around to it some day). The fact is that now that some weaker academic schools like Marshall and ETSU are no longer a part of the league, it is a shining example of academics and athletics messing very well. This league produces some great students at ALL of its institutions and should be proud of that. Armanti Edwards fits well into that tradition and I bristle at seeing SAT scores and other crap thrown out about this kid, who has done everything that has been asked of him as a college student and an athlete. He would have been a shining star at ANY of the institutions in the SoCon, period.

youwouldno
May 19th, 2007, 04:04 PM
No one that I know says Furman doesn't have higher standards, but ASU is not the the hick school your key people like to imply in the media.

Could you possibly provide examples of this? Lamb and Moore at least are good friends. I'd be surprised if people from Furman's administration put down App St to the media. They know App St is a good school. Furman and App fans trade barbs, of course, but those aren't 'key people' as I understand that to mean.

SoCon48
May 19th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Could you possibly provide examples of this? Lamb and Moore at least are good friends. I'd be surprised if people from Furman's administration put down App St to the media. They know App St is a good school. Furman and App fans trade barbs, of course, but those aren't 'key people' as I understand that to mean.

It isn't worth the effort. But the last I personally heard was in a live radio interview with Coach L immediately after ASU's last win over Furman in football.

Contrary to what you may think, and all kidding aside, I admire Coach Lamb, but I would admire him much much more if he would simply admit when he was beaten by a better team on a given day rather than resorting to excuses (especially in the closer games).

By the way, I consider your academic and athletic recruiters to be key people whether you or anyone else does is is a diff matter.

SoCon48
May 19th, 2007, 05:28 PM
It is not just your post and this is not just aimed at Furman supporters, it is a basic arrogance that exists and has for some time that the schools like Furman, Wofford and Davidson are somehow better than the public schools in the SoCon. I am not an Appalachian State graduate. I have never taken a course there (though I might get around to it some day). The fact is that now that some weaker academic schools like Marshall and ETSU are no longer a part of the league, it is a shining example of academics and athletics messing very well. This league produces some great students at ALL of its institutions and should be proud of that. Armanti Edwards fits well into that tradition and I bristle at seeing SAT scores and other crap thrown out about this kid, who has done everything that has been asked of him as a college student and an athlete. He would have been a shining star at ANY of the institutions in the SoCon, period.

Exactly, David, except you left out one certain other SoCon private school whose fans and followers (and often recruiters) like to indicate and grossly imply some imagined vast academic superiority to ASU.

FURMANFAN
May 19th, 2007, 06:28 PM
By the way, I consider your academic and athletic recruiters to be key people whether you or anyone else does is is a diff matter.

That's conveniently vague. Be specific. What Furman official? What did they say? Get away from innuendo and let's have a fact for a change.

youwouldno
May 19th, 2007, 07:12 PM
It isn't worth the effort. But the last I personally heard was in a live radio interview with Coach L immediately after ASU's last win over Furman in football.

Contrary to what you may think, and all kidding aside, I admire Coach Lamb, but I would admire him much much more if he would simply admit when he was beaten by a better team on a given day rather than resorting to excuses (especially in the closer games).

How did he say App St was a 'hick' school? If you are going to accuse unnamed Furman 'key' people of putting down App St, I actually do think it's 'worth the effort' to back up your claims.

Otherwise, since I have no idea what you're talking about, I just have to assume you are hearing what you want to hear, rather than what was actually said. You want to think App St is disrespected and so you fit everything into that paradigm.

SoCon48
May 19th, 2007, 08:45 PM
How did he say App St was a 'hick' school? If you are going to accuse unnamed Furman 'key' people of putting down App St, I actually do think it's 'worth the effort' to back up your claims.

Otherwise, since I have no idea what you're talking about, I just have to assume you are hearing what you want to hear, rather than what was actually said. You want to think App St is disrespected and so you fit everything into that paradigm.

You know what happens when you assume don't you?

Where did i say that BL said ASU was a hick school?? The hick school comment was several posts back being sarcastic about your fellow posters always talking as if ASU was a bunch of dumb butts and Furman only admits geniuses.
Pardon the sarcasm again!!!!!

Furman is a cut above us in admissions criteria, but it is no Harvard and ASU is no open admissions university either.
The thread got out of kilter when one or more of your posters implied that Edwards could not get into Furman at all. Not needing him is one thing,or not wanting to take the academic risk, but not being able to get in at all is a crock.

SoCon48
May 19th, 2007, 08:55 PM
That's conveniently vague. Be specific. What Furman official? What did they say? Get away from innuendo and let's have a fact for a change.

I'm referring to your recruiters in general. I have been in on many many recruiting visits by Furman academic as well as Furman athletic recruiters.

If you want me to name names, i have their cards and could just as easily notify Furman admininistration about them.
Would you like to challenge me on that? Say the word and I'll do that in writing on Monday morning to the appropriate Furman officials followed up by a phone call. Please, please call my bluff!!!

I sure as H wouldn't post their names on a message board but I most certainly would notify the Furman administration.

smallcollegefbfan
May 19th, 2007, 09:01 PM

Where did i say that BL said ASU was a hick school?? The hick school comment was several posts back being sarcastic about your fellow posters always talking as if ASU was a bunch of dumb butts and Furman only admits geniuses.

Furman is a cut above us in admissions criteria, but it is no Harvard and ASU is no open admissions university either.
The thread got out of kilter when one or more of your posters implied that Edwards could not get into Furman at all. Not needing him is one thing,or not wanting to take the academic risk, but not being able to get in at all is a crock.

The word is that Edwards is a VERY smart student.

What has Edwards done that would make anyone think he could not get into Furman? Nobody here knows his SAT scores nor his GPA coming out of HS. Anyone who says he could not get in is talking out of his butt and does not know for sure. Now, if his guidance counselor, teacher, or an ASU coach, or someone who is allowed to see SAT scores knows then please tell us.

fuEMO
May 19th, 2007, 09:23 PM
I'm referring to your recruiters in general. I have been in on many many recruiting visits by Furman academic as well as Furman athletic recruiters.

If you want me to name names, i have their cards and could just as easily notify Furman admininistration about them.
Would you like to challenge me on that? Say the word and I'll do that in writing on Monday morning to the appropriate Furman officials followed up by a phone call. Please, please call my bluff!!!

I sure as H wouldn't post their names on a message board but I most certainly would notify the Furman administration.

IAA2006 this has spiraled out of control… and no one will end this pretty. This started with the jab that Lamb overlooked Edwards. Now it has twisted into your quote about Furman recruiters, people can make mistakes but if what you say is true then you should email it to the correct person. This post will be seen by several people in the athletic department, I'll make sure of that.

FURMANFAN
May 19th, 2007, 10:18 PM

By all means. Consider the word said. I would attempt to be more coherent in your statement though. Originally it was key people dissing App in the media. Now it's evolved into saying mean things during athletic and academic recruiting visits. At which you were present. After all you do want to be taken seriously don't you?

thirdgendin
May 19th, 2007, 11:39 PM

Reread your first sentence in post #95. It certainly reads as if you're implying that Coach Lamb ("Coach L") is one of the "key people" you're referring to in post #92.

SoCon48
May 20th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Reread your first sentence in post #95. It certainly reads as if you're implying that Coach Lamb ("Coach L") is one of the "key people" you're referring to in post #92.

This is what I said in post 92: No one that I know says Furman doesn't have higher standards, but ASU is not the the hick school your key people like to imply in the media.

From that you derived I was referring specifically to BL??????

As to post 95, my point was primarily about what BL said in a post game interview. Of course many coaches say and imply things they don't completely mean right after a LOSS!!

SoCon48
May 20th, 2007, 08:14 AM
By all means. Consider the word said. I would attempt to be more coherent in your statement though. Originally it was key people dissing App in the media. Now it's evolved into saying mean things during athletic and academic recruiting visits. At which you were present. After all you do want to be taken seriously don't you?

By you with your whole 26 posts on the ags??? I do not even know you. Thus I could not care less!!!!

SoCon48
May 20th, 2007, 08:29 AM
IAA2006 this has spiraled out of control… and no one will end this pretty. This started with the jab that Lamb overlooked Edwards. Now it has twisted into your quote about Furman recruiters, people can make mistakes but if what you say is true then you should email it to the correct person. This post will be seen by several people in the athletic department, I'll make sure of that.

If I follow through, it will NOT be by e-mail. It will be by US Mail with copies to more than one admin, followed up in 3 work days by a phone call directly to the Furman AD.

You're right, people can make mistakes, but when the comments become a steady recruiting sales pitch by more than one recruiter, then the admin is indirectly and often even directly responsible. I have full confidence that Furman officials would take this seriously. If not, then Furman must not have the integrity that I've always been confident that they have.

Let's just say this, my respect for Furman athletics was extremely high in the days of Art Baker even though ASU only manged to win over Furman once in that era. . That tells you how far back I go in following Furman athletics. I have no prob admitting my age. Things have changed all over since then not just at Furman and ASU.

youwouldno
May 20th, 2007, 09:07 AM
The problem is that I-AA2006's constantly evolving story goes back to my original point-- words are often subjective. For instance, let's say a Furman recruiter says 'Boone is in the middle of nowhere.' That's a true statement and has nothing to do with 'hicks.' But a heavily biased person, say I-AA2006, might turn that comment into something he wants to hear-- an insult directed at App St.

I'm not sure why anyone would be present at all these recruiting pitches anyway. The whole story makes no sense and it reveals the extents to which some fans, in this case App St fans, will go in the quest to justify a complex.

fuEMO
May 20th, 2007, 09:14 AM
If I follow through, it will NOT be by e-mail. It will be by US Mail with copies to more than one admin, followed up in 3 work days by a phone call directly to the Furman AD.

You're right, people can make mistakes, but when the comments become a steady recruiting sales pitch by more than one recruiter, then the admin is indirectly and often even directly responsible. I have full confidence that Furman officials would take this seriously. If not, then Furman must not have the integrity that I've always been confident that they have.

Let's just say this, my respect for Furman athletics was extremely high in the days of Art Baker even though ASU only manged to win over Furman once in that era. . That tells you how far back I go in following Furman athletics. I have no prob admitting my age. Things have changed all over since then not just at Furman and ASU.

IAA… Art was a great man and I give him full credit for starting Furman's football program as we know it today. I still remember RA days when I was an early teen and Baker's players started the tradition of giving their testimonies. Baker was a tuff old school coach, and without him Sheridan would not have had the success he had. I'm stating again since you've brought this up, send it to Gary, Gary Clark is a professional and he would be concerned. Furman doesn't need to rely on a tactic like that. Furman and APP or very different schools.The Citadel and Wofford are very different. Degrading or devaluing the person's at a specific school are uncalled for. This stuff happens to Furman too. You don't think schools haven't used the flip side of this?

SoCon48
May 20th, 2007, 09:26 AM
The problem is that I-AA2006's constantly evolving story goes back to my original point-- words are often subjective. For instance, let's say a Furman recruiter says 'Boone is in the middle of nowhere.' That's a true statement and has nothing to do with 'hicks.' But a heavily biased person, say I-AA2006, might turn that comment into something he wants to hear-- an insult directed at App St.

I'm not sure why anyone would be present at all these recruiting pitches anyway. The whole story makes no sense and it reveals the extents to which some fans, in this case App St fans, will go in the quest to justify a complex.

Like you would know, "youwouldno." xcoffeex

How many direct in-person recruiting pitches have you been privy to as a school official or coach, "youwouldno"? Personally I have been in the presence of dozens (both academic and athletic) by recruiters on the students' high school campuses from Furman, Davidson, ASU, ECU, UNC, WCU, Duke, UNC-C recruiters plus many lesser known programs. Now what they say later on the phone to the athletes and/or their parents, I make no claim to know at all.

I have also been personally contacted by some of those recruiters as to both my objective and subjective thoughts on the suitability of the particular athletes' potential to fit into certain athletic and academic programs.
Enough said. If you want to stretch and spin my comments, go right ahead. You usually do.

SoCon48
May 20th, 2007, 09:32 AM
IAA… Art was a great man and I give him full credit for starting Furman's football program as we know it today. I still remember RA days when I was an early teen and Baker's players started the tradition of giving their testimonies. Baker was a tuff old school coach, and without him Sheridan would not have had the success he had. I'm stating again since you've brought this up, send it to Gary, Gary Clark is a professional and he would be concerned. Furman doesn't need to rely on a tactic like that. Furman and APP or very different schools.The Citadel and Wofford are very different. Degrading or devaluing the person's at a specific school are uncalled for. This stuff happens to Furman too. You don't think schools haven't used the flip side of this?

I have my own present day contacts and channels. And yes, it happens by all schools at one time or another.

And yes, I am one of the Art Baker era admirers while he was at Furman. I agree too that Art himself was tough, but at the time I knew him, he was a Christian person first both by example and faith and tried to instill those values and image in his staff. How he was at Citadel and ECU, I know absolutely nothing about and could care even less about. Also, Art and Jim Brakefield were good friends but highly competitive when they faced each other.

thirdgendin
May 20th, 2007, 11:33 AM
This is what I said in post 92: No one that I know says Furman doesn't have higher standards, but ASU is not the the hick school your key people like to imply in the media.

From that you derived I was referring specifically to BL??????

As to post 95, my point was primarily about what BL said in a post game interview. Of course many coaches say and imply things they don't completely mean right after a LOSS!!

Post 92 by JCline:
"No one that I know says Furman doesn't have higher standards, but ASU is not the the hick school your key people like to imply in the media."

Post 94 by youwouldknow:
"Could you possibly provide examples of this? Lamb and Moore at least are good friends. I'd be surprised if people from Furman's administration put down App St to the media. They know App St is a good school. Furman and App fans trade barbs, of course, but those aren't 'key people' as I understand that to mean."

Post 95 by JCline:
"It isn't worth the effort. But the last I personally heard was in a live radio interview with Coach L immediately after ASU's last win over Furman in football.

By the way, I consider your academic and athletic recruiters to be key people whether you or anyone else does is is a diff matter."

--

Your first statement after youwouldknow asks you to name some of these "key people" who like to imply that ASU is a hick school to the media says, "But the last I personally heard was in a live radio interview with Coach L immediately after ASU's last win over Furman in football."

If you aren't calling Bobby Lamb out here, what are you saying?

Each of these are direct responses to the previous post, and the italics added are mine.

FURMANFAN
May 20th, 2007, 12:50 PM
By you with your whole 26 posts on the ags??? I do not even know you. Thus I could not care less!!!!

I wasn't talking about me. I'm afraid that ship has sailed. No. I was speaking about the people you contact in Furman's admin. As for the 26 posts, I'm rather proud it's so low considering the edifying content presented here. I only wished to impart some information on Furman's admission procedure that hadn't been brought up. Facts appear unwelcome. If you're credible, I wish you success. Any recruiter that would have someone as obviously biased against not only Furman, but selective private schools in general, involved in student meetings is incompetent. In fact an honorable man with your views would recuse himself from these meetings. I hope you include your internet id and the sites you visit so that Furman's very honorable admin can fairly judge not only your content but intent as well.

SoCon48
May 20th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Repeat: By you with your whole 26 posts on the ags??? I do not even know you. Thus I could not care less!!!!

youwouldno
May 20th, 2007, 03:31 PM
IAA2006: Why won't you address the issue as thirdgendin lays it out? You said comments to the media. Now you're talking about private recruiting talk.

Your original position has been challenged and you can't defend it. Insulting me doesn't change that.

SoCon48
May 20th, 2007, 08:29 PM
IAA2006: Why won't you address the issue as thirdgendin lays it out? You said comments to the media. Now you're talking about private recruiting talk.

Your original position has been challenged and you can't defend it. Insulting me doesn't change that.

Both what BL said on the radio and what academic and athletic recruiters have been saying to individual athletes derogatory toward ASU are the points I am discussing. Of course I am just a graduate of little ol' mountain school ASU with a Pennsylvania university system master's. So what do I know?

With that Harvard University of Greenville, South Carolina degree you should certainly be able to follow a thread it would seem?

PaladinFan
May 20th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Both what BL said on the radio and what academic and athletic recruiters have been saying to individual athletes derogatory toward ASU are the points I am discussing. Of course I am just a graduate of little ol' mountain school ASU with a Pennsylvania university system master's. So what do I know?

With that Harvard University of Greenville, South Carolina degree you should certainly be able to follow a thread it would seem?

Just going to throw this out there, but I think they are asking what it was that was said. They are right, unless you can put something on the table it sounds a lot like your opinion. In which case, you would need to say "in my opinion, Bobby Lamb yadda yadda..."

.....not getting involved, only trying to clarify.

SoCon48
May 20th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Interview with BL immediately after the game Oct 28th on the MSN. I was sitting in traffic waiting to get back on to Rivers Street.
Oh wait, why don't you just ask Coach BL what he said immediately after his team lost????

thirdgendin
May 20th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Interview with BL immediately after the game Oct 28th on the MSN. I was sitting in traffic waiting to get back on to Rivers Street.
Oh wait, why don't you just ask Coach BL what he said immediately after his team lost????

If you can't even remember a paraphrase of these comments, then I'll assume it's not worth my time to be concerned (which I should've figured out long ago).

But thank you for at least acknowledging that you are, in fact, claiming that Bobby Lamb publicly referred to (or implied as such) Appalachian State University as a hick school.

SoCon48
May 21st, 2007, 12:53 AM
If you can't even remember a paraphrase of these comments, then I'll assume it's not worth my time to be concerned (which I should've figured out long ago).

But thank you for at least acknowledging that you are, in fact, claiming that Bobby Lamb publicly referred to (or implied as such) Appalachian State University as a hick school.

Show me which post that I said Bobby Lamb referred to ASU as a hick school. Post number, please.

youwouldno
May 21st, 2007, 01:49 AM
I'm still waiting for one actual comment that a "key" person made. I don't even need to know who it is. I'd just like to see the comment. Don't refer to the comment, post it.

thirdgendin
May 21st, 2007, 01:54 AM
Show me which post that I said Bobby Lamb referred to ASU as a hick school. Post number, please.

Reread post #112. Everything is laid out there in order for you.

SoCon48
May 21st, 2007, 11:34 AM
To thirdgen:
You win. (excuse the major sarcasm) Furman coaches, fans, recruiters, players, administrators all are perfect in their actions. None of them would say derogatory things about another school or its academic or athletic programs.
Oh I forgot, Furman is far superior academically to anything a little old public backwoods school in the mountains could ever hope to be. Oh, Furman is even superior to any public or private school in the entire United States.
Did I leave anything out?
Are you happy now?
Again, excuse the extreme sarcasm.

SoCon48
May 21st, 2007, 11:36 AM
I'm still waiting for one actual comment that a "key" person made. I don't even need to know who it is. I'd just like to see the comment. Don't refer to the comment, post it.

I already told you that if I choose, I will make the info and names available to the appropriate Furman officials. Are you a Furman official?
I think not.

OL FU
May 21st, 2007, 11:36 AM
You win. (excuse the major sarcasm) Furman coaches, fans, recruiters, players, administrators all are perfect in their actions. None of them would say derogatory things about another school or its academic or athletic programs.
Oh I forgot, Furman is far superior academically to anything a little old public backwoods school in the mountains could ever hope to be. Oh, Furman is even superior to any public or private school in the entire United States.
Are you happy now?

Glad to see you are on boardxthumbsupx

PaladinFan
May 21st, 2007, 11:50 AM
To thirdgen:
Are you happy now?

Friend, take off your glasses for a moment and see that no one is attacking your school. At worst someone commented that it was reported Armanti Edward's had a bad showing on his SAT. I didn't make as high as I wanted on the SAT either, so what?

Your sarcastic ad hominum comments are somewhat unwarranted. You were asked to back up your accusations with something factual other than your opinion. You haven't. Now you get mad with the person that asked you to clarify your statements.

Right now you are the only person saying anything "derogatory" (to use your words) about anybody.

claydus
May 21st, 2007, 12:02 PM
This thread is going places.....

SoCon48
May 21st, 2007, 12:56 PM
Repeat in order to apease the furman fans who have their briefs in a bunch:
Are you happy now?
Again, excuse the extreme sarcasm

PaladinFan
May 21st, 2007, 01:07 PM
Repeat in order to apease the furman fans who have their briefs in a bunch:
Are you happy now?
Again, excuse the extreme sarcasm

OLFU has it right, as per usual. Thanks for seeing it our way.

boonedocks
May 21st, 2007, 02:15 PM
This thread is going places.....

xlolx xlolx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

It reminds me of a quote from anchorman.

"Boy, that escalated quickly... I mean, that really got out of hand fast.
--It jumped up a notch. "

SoCon48
May 21st, 2007, 02:19 PM
OLFU has it right, as per usual. Thanks for seeing it our way.

As long as you understand it was a mega-sarcastic remark.xlolx

OL FU
May 21st, 2007, 02:37 PM
As long as you understand it was a mega-sarcastic remark.xlolx

I-AA 2006 Sarcasticxeyebrowx xlolx xlolx xlolx

SoCon48
May 21st, 2007, 04:42 PM
Remember the days on this board when there was post after post about ASU not winning a Nat Championhip and how great it was for a school to achieve that? Like Delaware had won 1, Montana had won 2, and Youngstown 4, GSU several, etc etc
Well, now guess what, we've won 2. They may be our last two or they may be two of several. Who knows? At any rate, ASU has now won 2 (two) and Furman has won ummm, let's see umm 1 (one) back in 1988). Congratulations Furman. I didn't have a computer back in 1988 to wish you congrats back then. :) :)

OL FU
May 21st, 2007, 04:44 PM
Remember the days on this board when there was post after post about ASU not winning a Nat Championhip and how great it was for a school to achieve that? Like Delaware had won 1, Montana had won 2, and Youngstown 4, GSU several, etc etc
Well, now guess what, we've won 2. They may be our last two or they may be two of several. Who knows? At any rate, ASU has now won 2 (two) and Furman has won ummm, let's see umm 1 (one) back in 1988). Congratulations Furman. I didn't have a computer back in 1988 to wish you congrats back then. :) :)

Hell I am just hoping you stay at two for awhile:p xsmiley_wix

PaladinFan
May 21st, 2007, 05:15 PM

you get more and more obnoxious with every post.

youwouldno
May 21st, 2007, 05:57 PM
you get more and more obnoxious with every post.

Well, he is an App St fan. Maybe you set expectations too high?

thirdgendin
May 21st, 2007, 09:35 PM
To thirdgen:
Are you happy now?

Never once have I said anything derogatory about Appalachian. It is a great school that serves NC well. I have many friends there and hold them in the highest regard.

All I've ever asked is that you clarify what Bobby Lamb said in that interview when he supposedly called ASU a "hick school."

As an educator, is this the kind of rhetoric you teach in the classroom?

BULLDOG8180
May 21st, 2007, 10:44 PM

A lot of people overlooked Edwards. Only exceptions would be Moore, Higgins and NMS coach.xsmiley_wix

BULLDOG8180
May 21st, 2007, 11:11 PM
Bottom line, a lot of college recruiters and coaches didn't think MONEY could play QB in college. Furman and Lamb were in this group. He only weighed 160 lbs his senior year. I even had my doubts. Turns out he can play. His grades and his SAT were good enough to get in Furman- I promise.

PaladinFan
May 21st, 2007, 11:36 PM
Bottom line, a lot of college recruiters and coaches didn't think MONEY could play QB in college. Furman and Lamb were in this group. He only weighed 160 lbs his senior year. I even had my doubts. Turns out he can play. His grades and his SAT were good enough to get in Furman- I promise.

He could have been a fantastic quarterback in high school (and probably was), but he wouldn't play that position for Furman. It's even possible that Furman had already gotten a commit from a "smallish" WR in Mimms and didn't want to take another. I don't pretend to know their rational.

If the guy can play, he can play (and it's obvious that he could). It is very very very likely that Furman just didn't need him as he certainly would not have been a quarterback.

SoCon48
May 22nd, 2007, 06:19 AM
Never once have I said anything derogatory about Appalachian. It is a great school that serves NC well. I have many friends there and hold them in the highest regard.

All I've ever asked is that you clarify what Bobby Lamb said in that interview when he supposedly called ASU a "hick school."

As an educator, is this the kind of rhetoric you teach in the classroom?

Show me in my quote where I said Lamb called ASU a hick school. You can't because i didn't.

thirdgendin
May 22nd, 2007, 08:54 AM
Show me in my quote where I said Lamb called ASU a hick school. You can't because i didn't.

Ok, I'm done. Good luck this season. xthumbsupx

SoCon48
May 22nd, 2007, 11:41 AM
Ok, I'm done. Good luck this season. xthumbsupx

Same to you. xsmashx