PDA

View Full Version : ABC to Broadcast FCS title game.

gsf23nd
October 24th, 2019, 12:02 PM
Just heard an announcement that ABC will broadcast title game this year.

wapiti
October 24th, 2019, 12:05 PM
This is good to hear. I am not sure what quality the play by play and color will be, but this should allow me to watch the game.

Professor Chaos
October 24th, 2019, 12:05 PM
That's fantastic news! Hopefully it will stay that way and hopefully more FCS playoff games will find their way onto the national networks or better time slots on the national networks. To this point it looks like the only network slot determined is for the title game: https://www.ncaa.com/championships/football/fcs/broadcast-info

AmsterBison
October 24th, 2019, 12:16 PM
Wow! That's a big step up.

TheKingpin28
October 24th, 2019, 12:33 PM
This is what the FCS needs. Good thing to hear.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

ASU33
October 24th, 2019, 12:44 PM
This is HUGE news!

PAllen
October 24th, 2019, 12:51 PM
It's about dang time. Haven't the D-II and D-III games been on major networks for a while? Of course, now that we have a true national audience, it will be Wofford vs. Villanova in the final in front of 3000 people.

IBleedYellow
October 24th, 2019, 12:55 PM
Holy. ****.

Gil Dobie
October 24th, 2019, 01:09 PM
Great news, now the Bison need to take care of business and get back to Frisco.

McCowboys
October 24th, 2019, 01:20 PM
https://www.ncaa.com/championships/football/fcs/road-to-the-championship

Sader87
October 24th, 2019, 01:47 PM
Good news but wasn't it on ABC already during much of the 1970s-1990s?

Lorne_Malvo
October 24th, 2019, 02:27 PM
If its Beth Mowens it will be bad for the FCS.

Professor Chaos
October 24th, 2019, 02:28 PM
If Wikipedia is to be trusted it was:

1978-1981: ABC Sports
1982: CBS Sports
1983: ABC Sports
1984: Satellite Program Network (whatever that is/was)
1985-1989: ESPN
1990-1994: CBS Sports
1995-2001: ESPN
2002-2018: ESPN2

Outsider1
October 24th, 2019, 03:10 PM
Excellent news!!

Derby City Duke
October 24th, 2019, 03:43 PM
Let the might Mouse roar!

Derby City Duke
October 24th, 2019, 03:54 PM
Which fan bases will travel heavily enough together to fill Toyota Stadium? I know JMU/NDSU did. I think JMU/YSU was about 1,000 short of the reduced capacity.

IBleedYellow
October 24th, 2019, 03:56 PM
Which fan bases will travel heavily enough together to fill Toyota Stadium? I know JMU/NDSU did. I think JMU/YSU was about 1,000 short of the reduced capacity.

90% of the FCS won't fill up Toyota Stadium.

Derby City Duke
October 24th, 2019, 04:02 PM

Hence the question.

Professor
October 24th, 2019, 04:20 PM
Nice , welcome to ABC.

mvemjsunpx
October 24th, 2019, 04:21 PM
I wish they'd go back to making it a night game.

Professor Chaos
October 24th, 2019, 04:21 PM
I care less and less about this honestly. If you look at the majority of bowl games they're played in half empty stadiums too. I'd much rather the NCAA planned the FCS title game to accommodate demand to a reasonable degree if two teams like JMU, Montana, or NDSU met up rather than worry about the optics if two teams like Wofford, Towson, or Maine met up.

Bisonoline
October 24th, 2019, 04:29 PM
If its Beth Mowens it will be bad for the FCS.

Why? I have found her to be much more listenable than many in her profession.

Grizzlies82
October 24th, 2019, 05:04 PM
I'm glad to hear this!

Bisonoline
October 24th, 2019, 05:34 PM
It would be nice if they changed the KO to 2-3 pm.

JayJ79
October 24th, 2019, 06:50 PM
Why? I have found her to be much more listenable than many in her profession.

better than Joe Buck, at least.

Derby City Duke
October 24th, 2019, 07:09 PM
I care less and less about this honestly. If you look at the majority of bowl games they're played in half empty stadiums too. I'd much rather the NCAA planned the FCS title game to accommodate demand to a reasonable degree if two teams like JMU, Montana, or NDSU met up rather than worry about the optics if two teams like Wofford, Towson, or Maine met up.

Nobody expects big crowds at the Poulan Weedeater Bica Raton Cherry Pie Bowl. But when you are advertising a championship game I think the optics take on a bit more importance. Just glad it’s off the Deuce; if we could just work on the start time.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 24th, 2019, 07:10 PM
This is sweet! I loved watching the 1-AA Title games on CBS. Always felt like a big event!

caribbeanhen
October 24th, 2019, 07:51 PM
I wish they'd go back to making it a night game.

or just a game

SUPharmacist
October 24th, 2019, 07:58 PM

Anyone is better than Joe Buck. Which is sad, because I loved Jack Buck. As far as Beth Mowins, don't know much about her, but I thought she was solid for the Iowa-NDSU game a few years back.

Any chance more ABC coverage could draw the HBCUs into the fold. Their top teams bring great crowds and great bands and would be a real plus in the long run (even if it may take a few years to be more competitive).

Bison56
October 24th, 2019, 08:35 PM

Dream team Joe Buck, Cris Collinsworth, and Jay Walker

Bisonoline
October 24th, 2019, 08:58 PM

xeekxxeekxxeekxxeekx

Jay-----------"when I played in the league" Walker?????? He is the worst. Only to be out-worsted by local FCS talent on when there games are streamed.

Ivytalk
October 24th, 2019, 09:51 PM
Good. Hope the FCS can stay with a major network for the Natty.

Panther88
October 25th, 2019, 01:05 AM
Good for the powerhouse teams of the FCS.

Any extra $$$ involved?

PAllen
October 25th, 2019, 05:40 AM

Joe Buck isn't even good at calling a baseball game anymore.

PAllen
October 25th, 2019, 05:47 AM

and Kirk Herbstreit talking about his trip to/coaches of/players in some other game or some other inane events that have nothing to do with the game at hand, but tell us all we never wanted to know about what Kirk or the network is really interested in.

PAllen
October 25th, 2019, 06:03 AM

and Kirk Herbstreit talking about his trip to/coaches of/players in some other game or some other inane events that have nothing to do with the game at hand, but tell us all we never wanted to know about what Kirk or the network is really interested in.

caribbeanhen
October 25th, 2019, 07:06 AM

December 1974 ABC covered the Div2 semifinal game from Baton Rouge Louisiana

Delaware 49
UNLV 12

the game was later coined the wing T clinic and at least one kid was hooked

MR. CHICKEN
October 25th, 2019, 07:35 AM

....IT'S CALLED.......FILLIN' UP AIR TIME........WOOD YA WANT....DEAD SILENCE......BETWEEN PLAYS........PERSONALLY.....AH LIKE DUH STORIES.......WHILE PLAYERS ARE CARTED OFF DUH TURF......OR REPLAY BOOFF......HOLDS UH SIDE BAR......IN DETERMININ'.......TRUE OUTCOME UH PLAY........AH SPENT DUH EVENIN'....WHIFF JAY........AS PV A&M.....DROPPED UH DOUBLE OT....TA JACKSON STATE.......PENALTY MARRED FIASCO.....29 FLAGS FO -250 YDS.....REFS CALLED IT TIGHT.....BIG PLAYS AN' TD'S CALLED BACK........AS TEAMS SKIRMISHED PRIOR TA KO........WALKER HAD PLENTY UH TIME TA KILL......BRAWK!

walliver
October 25th, 2019, 08:28 AM
If Wikipedia is to be trusted it was:

1978-1981: ABC Sports
1982: CBS Sports
1983: ABC Sports
1984: Satellite Program Network (whatever that is/was)
1985-1989: ESPN
1990-1994: CBS Sports
1995-2001: ESPN
2002-2018: ESPN2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite_Program_Network
Quick answer: The Satellite Program Network eventually evolved into CNBC. And the NCAA paid for the game to be broadcast.

An interesting link from the wikipedia article: https://www.newspapers.com/clip/30866152/iaa_playoffs_spell_trouble_money/

100%GRIZ
October 25th, 2019, 09:35 AM
Disagree 100%! Can not stand her, I will mute the game!

100%GRIZ
October 25th, 2019, 09:39 AM
It would be nice if they changed the KO to 2-3 pm.
Anywhere between 3pm & 5pm eastern would be ideal since the 2 teams playing will be from west of the Mississippi River!

Daytripper
October 25th, 2019, 10:13 AM

Any Southland team would likely make a good showing just because of proximity.

- - - Updated - - -

Anywhere between 3pm & 5pm eastern would be ideal since the 2 teams playing will be from west of the Mississippi River!

Later start would make for better tailgating, also.

Grizzlies82
October 25th, 2019, 12:46 PM
Hopefully this would also entail a slight bit more promotion prior to the game. Or at least treat a "Championship" game as if it were more than mere filler.

Typically ESPN treated it as if it were a Mid-American conference volleyball game... "Oh yeah, next Saturday there is a football game at 8 in the morning, or some inconsequential time. Watch it if your TV happens to be on at that time. Tune in, or not, we really don't give a damn."

Panther88
October 25th, 2019, 12:49 PM

Okay, give my alums a break. They do their best (Herbstreit and Walker), considering.

It's great that ABC is broadcasting 2 FCS powerhouse teams.

Professor Chaos
October 25th, 2019, 01:53 PM
Hopefully this would also entail a slight bit more promotion prior to the game. Or at least treat a "Championship" game as if it were more than mere filler.

Typically ESPN treated it as if it were a Mid-American conference volleyball game... "Oh yeah, next Saturday there is a football game at 8 in the morning, or some inconsequential time. Watch it if your TV happens to be on at that time. Tune in, or not, we really don't give a damn."
This is a good point. You'd think if ESPN execs felt good enough to put this game on ABC they feel good enough to run a few more promos for it.

ASU33
October 25th, 2019, 01:55 PM
Anyone is better than Joe Buck. Which is sad, because I loved Jack Buck. As far as Beth Mowins, don't know much about her, but I thought she was solid for the Iowa-NDSU game a few years back.

Any chance more ABC coverage could draw the HBCUs into the fold. Their top teams bring great crowds and great bands and would be a real plus in the long run (even if it may take a few years to be more competitive).

I doubt it. The HBCUs already have a nice Deal with ABC for The Celebration Bowl. You'll still get an at-large and Tennessee State and Hampton.

Sader87
October 25th, 2019, 02:02 PM
December 1974 ABC covered the Div2 semifinal game from Baton Rouge Louisiana

Delaware 49
UNLV 12

the game was later coined the wing T clinic and at least one kid was hooked

Remember watching those D2, later 1-AA games on ABC as a kid. Was Randall Cunningham on that UNL team? Probably.

Central Michigan used to be really strong in D2 back then too if memory serves.

UMass lost the first 1-AA title game on ABC to Florida A&M in 1978...lot of local kids on that Minutemen team.

mvfcfan
October 25th, 2019, 02:54 PM
They should put the NDSU / SDSU game on ABC tomorrow. Maybe they'll still be on ABC in the rematch. :D

caribbeanhen
October 25th, 2019, 10:04 PM
Remember watching those D2, later 1-AA games on ABC as a kid. Was Randall Cunningham on that UNL team? Probably.

Central Michigan used to be really strong in D2 back then too if memory serves.

UMass lost the first 1-AA title game on ABC to Florida A&M in 1978...lot of local kids on that Minutemen team.

funny you mention Central Michigan, they ripped the feathers off the Hens the next week in the Div2 Finals

Randall Cunningham? I don't think so

JayJ79
October 26th, 2019, 05:59 AM

Is there really much of a chance of a HBCU making the FCS title game in today's FCS? (even if the HBCU conferences sent their champions to the playoffs)
Unless ABC decided to cover the entire playoffs (which will never happen), I don't see the HBCUs giving up their "Celebration Bowl" or whatever it is called, as long as it has its own network TV slot.

GAD
October 26th, 2019, 09:18 AM
I doubt it. The HBCUs already have a nice Deal with ABC for The Celebration Bowl. You'll still get an at-large and Tennessee State and Hampton.
It will not happen coverage has nothing to do with it. As long as playoffs start on Bayou Classic/Turkey Day Classic weekend the SWAC won't send there champ

Professor Chaos
November 7th, 2019, 09:40 AM
There will be additional changes to the TV spots in this year's playoffs according to HERO Sport's Sam Herder, instead of the first semi being on Friday both semis will be on Saturday and the 2nd semi is once again relegated back to ESPNU (both semis were on ESPN2 last year for the first time I could remember):

https://twitter.com/SamHerderFCS/status/1192454128485707776

*sigh* One step forward (ok, maybe two steps forward) with the championship game moving to ABC and one step back losing the Friday night semifinal and sending one semi back to the U.

TheKingpin28
November 7th, 2019, 11:11 AM
There will be additional changes to the TV spots in this year's playoffs according to HERO Sport's Sam Herder, instead of the first semi being on Friday both semis will be on Saturday and the 2nd semi is once again relegated back to ESPNU (both semis were on ESPN2 last year for the first time I could remember):

*sigh* One step forward (ok, maybe two steps forward) with the championship game moving to ABC and one step back losing the Friday night semifinal and sending one semi back to the U.The friday night semifinal was something special. Way to ruin a good thing.

Professor Chaos
November 7th, 2019, 11:24 AM
The friday night semifinal was something special. Way to ruin a good thing.

Bowls ruin things again. It was pointed out on Bisonville that the Frisco Bowl was moved to Friday night at 6:30PM CT and is being broadcast on ESPN2. I'm sure a 25% full Toyota Stadium will make for much better TV on Friday night on ESPN2 than a packed and electric Fargodome has made for the last 7 years before this.

TheKingpin28
November 7th, 2019, 11:34 AM
Bowls ruin things again. It was pointed out on Bisonville that the Frisco Bowl was moved to Friday night at 6:30PM CT and is being broadcast on ESPN2. I'm sure a 25% full Toyota Stadium will make for much better TV on Friday night on ESPN2 than a packed and electric Fargodome has made for the last 7 years before this.How much money do you think they paid to be moved to that timeslot? So why not move the game to ESPN on friday night? Oh I know, it would make too much sense and take away from their precious 7-5 vs 6-6 MACtion vs The American teams.

Professor Chaos
November 7th, 2019, 12:07 PM
How much money do you think they paid to be moved to that timeslot? So why not move the game to ESPN on friday night? Oh I know, it would make too much sense and take away from their precious 7-5 vs 6-6 MACtion vs The American teams.

Friday nights on ESPN is the NBA's territory from late October through April and they do quite well IIRC... one of the few areas in live sports programming that isn't leaking viewers in the networks' target 18-44 demographic.

TheKingpin28
November 7th, 2019, 12:14 PM
Friday nights on ESPN is the NBA's territory from late October through April and they do quite well IIRC... one of the few areas in live sports programming that isn't leaking viewers in the networks' target 18-44 demographic.Not going to lie, totally forgot basketball was on espn.

ST_Lawson
November 7th, 2019, 02:50 PM
Not going to lie, totally forgot basketball was on espn.

Not going to lie, totally forgot basketball was a thing.

PaladinNation
November 8th, 2019, 06:59 AM
I tried to do some digging on the net but I came up empty - the Furman/Western Carolina 1983 Semi-Final matchup was broadcast nationally on ABC.
I'm also pretty sure that an APP/FU regular season matchup was broadcast on ABC during that same Dick Sheridan era.

Excited to see the championship game get a real national broadcast again…

Edit: I was wrong the Furman/WCU semi-final matchup was broadcast nationally on CBS.

dewey
November 8th, 2019, 07:05 AM

*sigh* One step forward (ok, maybe two steps forward) with the championship game moving to ABC and one step back losing the Friday night semifinal and sending one semi back to the U.

F***! The Friday night semifinals are awesome especially from a packed house at the Fargodome.

Looks like we will be going to the semifinals on Saturday.

Dewey

MR. CHICKEN
November 8th, 2019, 07:21 AM
Not going to lie, totally forgot basketball was a thing.

...........NOT GONNA LIE...........FO'GOT......PRO BASKETBALL.......IS UH THING.......AWK!