PDA

View Full Version : SLC: McNeese Cowboys at SFA Lumberjacks

McCowboys
October 21st, 2019, 09:34 AM
Cowboys and Lumberjacks Series
• Saturday's game will be the 39th meeting between the two schools with McNeese holding a 21-15-2 lead in the series. There have been two shutouts in the series, both by McNeese (14-0 win in 1960 and 35-0 in 2017 in Nacogdoches).
• McNeese won last year by a score of 17-10 in The Hole. This year's game will serve as Homecoming for SFA.
• The series was knotted up 5-5 over the last 10 outings prior to last year. SFA had won the last two games played in Cowboy Stadium - 31-28 in 2016 and 31-16 in 2014.
• STRANGE SERIES: Prior to last year, the visiting team had won the last five games in the series. McNeese broke the streak of SFA winning in Lake Charles. Can McNeese keep its winning streak in Nacogdoches going and break its difficulty with not winning on the road? Though SFA has won only one game this year, they did what McNeese hasn’t done – picked up a road victory – as the Lumberjacks defeated Lamar in Beaumont.

Last week, McNeese had a big Homecoming victory over HBU, while SFA lost a double OT heartbreaker to ACU in Abilene.

This is a matchup of two head coaches who are both in their first year in the Southland Conference.

Daytripper
October 21st, 2019, 10:46 AM
Going with SFA in the upset.

BEAR
October 21st, 2019, 10:54 AM
I'm going with a solid McNeese defense and decent offense from what I saw in Conway.

Katfan
October 21st, 2019, 02:07 PM
Going with McNeese but don’t sleep on SFA

McCowboys
October 21st, 2019, 02:30 PM
It is eerie about the score differential between the Jacks and Cowboys against common opponents. Both lost by 11 to Sam and both lost by 7 to ACU.

I don't think Coach Gilbert would ever sleep on anyone. McNeese has not proven anything yet. As for me, I know SFA got a good coach. I know he is playing a bunch of babies, but they are playing hard for him and are growing up fast. McNeese is learning Gilbert's new system, and QB Orgeron has gained lots of confidence, and the rushing attack is coming around. But with most every team, injuries are taking a toll. Two up-and-coming teams with a history between them. Should be fun.

Kickoff is 3 PM Saturday and is on ESPN3 or ESPN+.

BEAR
October 21st, 2019, 02:36 PM
It is eerie about the score differential between the Jacks and Cowboys against common opponents. Both lost by 11 to Sam and both lost by 7 to ACU.

I don't think Coach Gilbert would ever sleep on anyone. McNeese has not proven anything yet. As for me, I know SFA got a good coach. I know he is playing a bunch of babies, but they are playing hard for him and are growing up fast. McNeese is learning Gilbert's new system, and QB Orgeron has gained lots of confidence, and the rushing attack is coming around. But with most every team, injuries are taking a toll. Two up-and-coming teams with a history between them. Should be fun.

Kickoff is 3 PM Saturday and is on ESPN3 or ESPN+.

For those who can't make it TO the game...watch that ESPN+ announcement...sometimes it is BLACKEDOUT if you are anywhere within a few hundred miles of the game. UCA fans who couldn't make last week's game at NWST learned about the game being on ESPN+ but were mildly upset to say the least to find out it was blackedout.

McCowboys
October 21st, 2019, 03:04 PM
For those who can't make it TO the game...watch that ESPN+ announcement...sometimes it is BLACKEDOUT if you are anywhere within a few hundred miles of the game. UCA fans who couldn't make last week's game at NWST learned about the game being on ESPN+ but were mildly upset to say the least to find out it was blackedout.

Dang! That is a bummer, Bear! I hope I am far enough away from Nacogdoches not to be affected.

SFA 93
October 21st, 2019, 04:37 PM
Senior preseason all conference SFA WR Tamrick Pace has had a nightmare year as he had to sit out the first 5 games waiting to get cleared by the NCAA for academic reasons and then he finally gets to play in the 6th game of the year against SHSU and has a season ending injury.

The good news is he’s taking a medical redshirt and will be back for his 5th year.

All those babies will be grown men next season mixed with returning Pace on offense and Alize Ward, Larron Cox, and Rayshad Nichols on defense who were also out all season.

but right now we can just play spoiler and go for a non losing season lol

McNeese75
October 21st, 2019, 04:41 PM
Well, since the McNeese coach played with your coach at Angelo State I figure they probably know each other's tendancies pretty well.

McNeese72
October 22nd, 2019, 08:08 AM
Dang! That is a bummer, Bear! I hope I am far enough away from Nacogdoches not to be affected.

I think the only time it is blacked out is when it is on Cox Sports TV and it is in what they consider the Cox Sports TV viewing area. The SLC CST game this week is ACU at Nicholls. Next week it is Northwestern St. at McNeese. So you are safe this week but not next week.

Doc

McNeese72
October 22nd, 2019, 08:12 AM

It was blacked out because it was on CST last week. They blackout the CST viewing areas. So, if you are in an area that cable TV carries CST, it will be blacked out on ESPN+. But as soon as the game is over, you can watch the replay on ESPN+

Doc

McCowboys
October 22nd, 2019, 08:36 AM
I think the only time it is blacked out is when it is on Cox Sports TV and it is in what they consider the Cox Sports TV viewing area. The SLC CST game this week is ACU at Nicholls. Next week it is Northwestern St. at McNeese. So you are safe this week but not next week.

Doc

Actually, Houston is outside the CST viewing area. I've not had any problems watching CST football.

bwbear
October 22nd, 2019, 01:38 PM

I was hacked off that they blacked out. Who in the world blacks out an FCS game on a paid, streaming service?

BEAR
October 22nd, 2019, 02:10 PM
I was hacked off that they blacked out. Who in the world blacks out an FCS game on a paid, streaming service?

Exactly. Since CST had first rights I guess they chose not to allow it. Who knows. But fans were upset.

bwbear
October 22nd, 2019, 03:21 PM
Exactly. Since CST had first rights I guess they chose not to allow it. Who knows. But fans were upset.

LOL. How much advertising revenue did CST think they would lose to ESPN+? That's crazy.

The only saving grace is that I ended up with an ocular migraine around the late second quarter so would have just been listening to it anyways. But still...

BEAR
October 22nd, 2019, 04:02 PM
LOL. How much advertising revenue did CST think they would lose to ESPN+? That's crazy.

The only saving grace is that I ended up with an ocular migraine around the late second quarter so would have just been listening to it anyways. But still...

My question is how much revenue do the same commericals rolled OVER and OVER again make anyway. I can't even tell you who they were and I saw them dozens of times in ONE game! FCS football doesn't create that much income that a TV service has to blackout an FCS game to get that last nickel. xrolleyesx

McNeeserocket
October 22nd, 2019, 05:27 PM
Cowboys and Lumberjacks Series
Last week, McNeese had a big Homecoming victory over ACU, while SFA lost a double OT heartbreaker to ACU in Abilene.

Actually, McNeese did not play ACU last week for Homecoming. McNeese played and beat HBU last week for homecoming.

McCowboys
October 22nd, 2019, 06:55 PM
Actually, McNeese did not play ACU last week for Homecoming. McNeese played and beat HBU last week for homecoming.

Thanks, Rocket! I ACU on my mind for some reason. I will edit that.

FormerPokeCenter
October 22nd, 2019, 09:12 PM
Doc?

Ummm....well....nevermind. I've seen Doc wear some different outfits on Message boards so, anything's possible...

McCowboys
October 23rd, 2019, 10:30 AM
Keith Zembower's blog -- October 23, 2019 -- touches on the potential outlook for SFA. Clint Conque was anxious to go to SFA because he, too, felt this was an outstanding recruiting area. Hopefully this will be the first of many epic battles between the Jacks and Cowboys, like some of the battles in the early '90s when both were ranked.

Here's the blog: https://zemsgems.wordpress.com/

McCowboys
October 24th, 2019, 09:04 AM
Where is the Rev?

McCowboys
October 24th, 2019, 10:25 AM
McNeese, SFA coaches reflect on shared history ahead of Saturday’s matchup (video): https://www.kplctv.com/2019/10/23/mcneese-sfa-coaches-reflect-shared-history-ahead-saturdays-matchup/

McCowboys
October 24th, 2019, 04:36 PM
Coach Carthel interview: https://twitter.com/SFA_Football/status/1187164647885070337