PDA

View Full Version : Sam Houston State @ Central Arkansas - Week 9

Daytripper
October 21st, 2019, 09:24 AM
This game will go a long way in determining the conference championship. Both teams struggle offensively. Should be a good one on the striped field.

McCowboys
October 21st, 2019, 09:41 AM
It is hard going against the home team and especially the home team who plays on the stripes. Still undecided.

BEAR
October 21st, 2019, 09:50 AM
Massey Ratings has a 50% chance of victory for both teams.

I really don't know. :(

I heard that after a team makes so many comebacks either they'll get exposed or they aren't playing to their full potential ALL game long...but the last game was the FIFTH comeback this season. That makes me think we aren't playing to our potential.

Guess we'll find out Saturday. I guess.

McNeese72
October 21st, 2019, 10:47 AM
Flipping a coin on this one ;)

Doc

McCowboys
October 21st, 2019, 01:04 PM
Flipping a coin on this one ;)

Doc

xthumbsupx

McCowboys
October 21st, 2019, 01:10 PM
Still deciding. Sam beat McNeese in The Hole 28-17.
UCA beat McNeese on the stripes in Conway 40-31.
McNeese played better overall against UCA, but shot itself in the foot (not good for a Cowboy to do) against both teams.
UCA is making comebacks to win, but is giving up lots of points.
I think Sam's defense is getting better every game, better since the matchup with the Cowboys. But I can't say the same for the Bearkat offense.

Daytripper
October 21st, 2019, 01:19 PM
Still deciding. Sam beat McNeese in The Hole 28-17.
UCA beat McNeese on the stripes in Conway 40-31.
McNeese played better overall against UCA, but shot itself in the foot (not good for a Cowboy to do) against both teams.
UCA is making comebacks to win, but is giving up lots of points.
I think Sam's defense is getting better every game, better since the matchup with the Cowboys. But I can't say the same for the Bearkat offense.

The Bearkat offense has to get very creative with new game plans each week because of poor QB play. If you watched the Nicholls game we rotated two QBs and had a third DB run the wildcat. Nicholls wasn't really ready and we still only scored 17 points.

JSUSoutherner
October 21st, 2019, 01:22 PM
Going with Sam.

Because momentum.

McCowboys
October 21st, 2019, 01:23 PM
The Bearkat offense has to get very creative with new game plans each week because of poor QB play. If you watched the Nicholls game we rotated two QBs and had a third DB run the wildcat. Nicholls wasn't really ready and we still only scored 17 points.

Yes. And wasn't one of those a trick play of some kind?
I am, however, very impressed with Sam's "D."
Back in the Ron Randleman days, Sam always had a great defense. Those were some real nailbiters back then between the Bearkats and Cowboys.

BEAR
October 21st, 2019, 01:24 PM
I don't think you will find one Bear fan come on here and say UCA should win this one. We know we've made 5 comebacks this year. But when do you get to the point of just plain winning?! We've been saying the comebacks will be our downfall but so far they haven't 5 times. We, as fans, expect to lose to an FBS in Hawaii. The Nicholls game exposed our defense and our offense did not have a plan other than what we ran ALL previous games. That changed with the McNeese game. But still us fans have little confidence in this game coming up Saturday. It's homecoming so I'm going to enjoy the festiviites and let the game take care of itself. If our coaches fail to adjust or we just plain old don't have the team to hang with SHSU, then so be it. The beer will still be as cold and the grill will still be as hot. xlolx

Daytripper
October 21st, 2019, 01:26 PM
Yes. And wasn't one of those a trick play of some kind?
I am, however, very impressed with Sam's "D."
Back in the Ron Randleman days, Sam always had a great defense. Those were some real nailbiters back then between the Bearkats and Cowboys.

The trick play was a flea flicker screen pass. The receiver did all of the work after the catch. But you are right about the defense. It's the best we've had since the 2011 natty team.

Puddin Tane
October 22nd, 2019, 12:22 AM
Sam lost to LU. we suck. gotta go w/central arky

Daytripper
October 22nd, 2019, 07:20 AM

I've got no problem with that pick or your reasoning.

bwbear
October 22nd, 2019, 09:50 AM
Is it odd that I find this game to be more of a defensive battle than an offensive one?

This may be a low scoring affair.

Looking forward to the game, though. This one should be good! I'll be there in tow with my family (oldest daughter is playing in a golf tournament in the morning, so we'll be battle worn already from the day).

Derby City Duke
October 22nd, 2019, 08:56 PM
Picked against SHSU last week.

Can Sam score enough w/o trickeration? Can UCA overcome their offensive issues to overcome the Kats defense?

Sam lost to Lamar, but are they a better team now? I can't be wrong twice in a row can I?

Going with the Bears.

Katfan
October 22nd, 2019, 09:50 PM

Can Sam score enough w/o trickeration? Can UCA overcome their offensive issues to overcome the Kats defense?

Sam lost to Lamar, but are they a better team now? I can't be wrong twice in a row can I?

Going with the Bears.
Yes you can!

Puddin Tane
October 23rd, 2019, 12:35 AM

Going with the Bears.

i think if they play the same qb they played against LU, sam could be in trouble. But if they play the lil mobile dude, they win. so, before pickems, i gotta know whos at qb.

im flip flopin all over on this one. UCA squeaked past NW St. (who's only win will be in a couple of weeks against LU). and they barely beat ACU..who was totally unimpressive in Beaumont, soooo, changing my mind

Sam will take this one (with little dude at the helm) keeler plays brock? and loses, he oughta pack his bags

Serpentor
October 23rd, 2019, 01:05 AM

I understand your reasoning, but Keeler's insistence on sticking with Brock, who's clearly still injured, was what cost us that game, not the rest of our team's talent. If he continues to mix things up in the meantime like he did with Nicholls, I'm going with SHSU to win. Hopefully Schmidt is back after the break.

BEAR
October 23rd, 2019, 07:59 AM
It's going to come down to this: Defense wins more games than they lose. Sammy has the defense.

That's tough for a Bear fan like me to say. But it's a fact. We saw it way too many times in Division II when Valdosta and UNA would play us. We could wipe the floor with all the other GSC teams and when we faced a team with a defense, even though they didn't have an awesome offense, we'd get blown out.

Sam's defense wins games.
We have a sporadic offense.
We don't have a decent defense.
Sam has a sporadic offense.
-----------------------------------
Sam wins.

Of course I'm hoping for an upset but homecoming may be tough.

Could you imagine what type of team SHSU would have with Breylin Smith at the helm. Nearly 70% pass completion and drops those passes exactly where they need to be ( if the WR runs the right route) . Man that would be beast.

Daytripper
October 23rd, 2019, 08:50 AM
It's going to come down to this: Defense wins more games than they lose. Sammy has the defense.

That's tough for a Bear fan like me to say. But it's a fact. We saw it way too many times in Division II when Valdosta and UNA would play us. We could wipe the floor with all the other GSC teams and when we faced a team with a defense, even though they didn't have an awesome offense, we'd get blown out.

Sam's defense wins games.
We have a sporadic offense.
We don't have a decent defense.
Sam has a sporadic offense.
-----------------------------------
Sam wins.

Of course I'm hoping for an upset but homecoming may be tough.

Could you imagine what type of team SHSU would have with Breylin Smith at the helm. Nearly 70% pass completion and drops those passes exactly where they need to be ( if the WR runs the right route) . Man that would be beast.

If we somehow sneak in to the playoffs with a healthy Schmid and that defense, we could do some real damage.

BEAR
October 23rd, 2019, 09:09 AM
If we somehow sneak in to the playoffs with a healthy Schmid and that defense, we could do some real damage.

No doubt. You went from a team you weren't sure about to one with a decent chance and if the team chemistry comes together....look out. It may not be natty championship level but will make some noise in the playoffs.

I mean you'll have wins over UIW, Nicholls, and UCA.

However, if you lose Saturday... UGH. 8-4 is the best you could do and you're leaving it up to the committee to even get you in. I think the same thing with UCA. But I don't see us as strong as SHSU at this point.

bwbear
October 23rd, 2019, 10:35 AM
No doubt. You went from a team you weren't sure about to one with a decent chance and if the team chemistry comes together....look out. It may not be natty championship level but will make some noise in the playoffs.

I mean you'll have wins over UIW, Nicholls, and UCA.

However, if you lose Saturday... UGH. 8-4 is the best you could do and you're leaving it up to the committee to even get you in. I think the same thing with UCA. But I don't see us as strong as SHSU at this point.

I think SHSU has this game as a must win. Even at 8-4, they only have 7 D1 wins. I think that puts SHSU as a first 4 out type of team.

If UCA is at 8-4, I think we get the nod with 8 D1 wins and an FBS win.

For both teams, this week is critical in building the playoff resume.

BEAR
October 23rd, 2019, 10:59 AM
I think SHSU has this game as a must win. Even at 8-4, they only have 7 D1 wins. I think that puts SHSU as a first 4 out type of team.

If UCA is at 8-4, I think we get the nod with 8 D1 wins and an FBS win.

For both teams, this week is critical in building the playoff resume.

Oh that's right. I forget they spanked a DII or whatever while UCA took on it's second FBS in Hawaii. I guess 7 FCS level wins in a 12 game season may not be enough. They gotta win it looks like. xconfusedx

Katfan
October 23rd, 2019, 05:04 PM
Oh that's right. I forget they spanked a DII or whatever while UCA took on it's second FBS in Hawaii. I guess 7 FCS level wins in a 12 game season may not be enough. They gotta win it looks like. xconfusedx
I certainly think we need a win but I can see a scenario where we loss a competitive game and win out impressively and still make it depending on how UIW and Nicholls finish out.

Daytripper
October 23rd, 2019, 05:22 PM
I certainly think we need a win but I can see a scenario where we loss a competitive game and win out impressively and still make it depending on how UIW and Nicholls finish out.

We control our own fate. Win out and we are in. I don't want to have to depend on other teams losing.

Sammy94
October 23rd, 2019, 05:29 PM
Each game is a playoff game for the Kats from here on out. Of course I’m going with the Kats!!!

McCowboys
October 24th, 2019, 09:03 AM
I am going with the Bearkats on the deciding factor of KC.

BEAR
October 24th, 2019, 11:07 AM
Just saw that UCA gets to host the Demons next year............. on October 31, 2020...........Halloween! xthumbsupx

Man I can see the promotional efforts by our Athletic Admins for that game!

:(

Nevermind. xbangx

bwbear
October 24th, 2019, 01:41 PM

Which is what concerns me a bit about this game. Both teams know they have a lot on the line, but SHSU has everything on the line.

In other words, if you lose, you're hoping to backdoor a conference championship/auto bid.

Just saw that UCA gets to host the Demons next year............. on October 31, 2020...........Halloween! xthumbsupx

Nevermind. xbangx

LOL, yep. That would require effort from a non-existent marketing person.

Daytripper
October 25th, 2019, 01:39 PM

Nevermind. xbangx

Start a word of mouth campaign now. Use social media. Maybe it can build up steam by the time the game gets here.

Katfan
October 25th, 2019, 02:32 PM
In other words, if you lose, you're hoping to backdoor a conference championship/auto bid.

No, if both UIW and Nichols win out then those 2 wins would be quality wins for sure and if we go on to win out then we’d have a strong resume for an at large. I’d still prefer to win out and not have to worry about the committee

McCowboys
October 25th, 2019, 04:14 PM
Start a word of mouth campaign now. Use social media. Maybe it can build up steam by the time the game gets here.

Halloween. Demons. Spooky!

BEAR
October 25th, 2019, 04:27 PM
Halloween. Demons. Spooky!

Yikes! Stripes!
Exorcise the Demons!

The list goes on and on.... But they won't get it. Tailgating starts 30 minutes before kickoff and must be cleaned up 30 minutes before kickoff...xsmhx

bwbear
October 25th, 2019, 08:31 PM
Here’s to hoping the rain really clears out before kickoff tomorrow. Looks like I am going solo to the game. Wife deals with asthma issues and cold, damp air makes it worse.

BEAR
October 26th, 2019, 06:21 PM
Yep we finally get a good run for a first down and hold. Sam proceeds to take advantage of our bad play for a 7-0 lead with 8 left in the first quarter.

BEAR
October 26th, 2019, 06:30 PM
We punt it to the one and our guy drops it into the end zone. Ugh

BEAR
October 26th, 2019, 06:33 PM
Sam punts and we catch it at the 35 and proceed to run back to the 27.

BEAR
October 26th, 2019, 06:48 PM
We get to the 7 and hold

- - - Updated - - -

Then proceed to throw to Sam in the end zone

BEAR
October 26th, 2019, 07:01 PM
Our online proceeds to give Sam a safety.

Daytripper
October 26th, 2019, 07:06 PM
UCA has some seriously big and talented receivers. Sam's defense is bending but not breaking.

BEAR
October 26th, 2019, 07:09 PM
We get the momentum and it stops because one of our players is hurt.

BEAR
October 26th, 2019, 07:17 PM
We pin them at the one and they run it for 16

BEAR
October 26th, 2019, 07:19 PM
We can’t even get an obvious hold. xlolx

Daytripper
October 26th, 2019, 07:26 PM
Sam Houston defense with 6 straight shutout quarters in a row.

BEAR
October 26th, 2019, 07:45 PM
UCA has lost winningham and Sanderson for the rest of the season. Two others hurt tonight are done for today. We lost a DB in Moseley before the game started. Ugh

BEAR
October 26th, 2019, 07:49 PM
Why do video guys have to show a dude swinging his broken arm? Gross

BEAR
October 26th, 2019, 07:51 PM
We’ve got 2 yards rushing. xlolx

Daytripper
October 26th, 2019, 08:02 PM
We’ve got 2 yards rushing. xlolx

Our rush defense has been incredible this year. We dare teams to beat us throwing the ball. We get beat by the pass occasionally, but we make you earn it.

BEAR
October 26th, 2019, 08:11 PM
Our rush defense has been incredible this year. We dare teams to beat us throwing the ball. We get beat by the pass occasionally, but we make you earn it.

Have you seen our run game this year? xlolx Don’t be too happy about it. xlolx

Daytripper
October 26th, 2019, 08:12 PM
Have you seen our run game this year? xlolx Don’t be too happy about it. xlolx

Your passing game is keeping you in it. I love Smith as a QB. He has serious skills.

BEAR
October 26th, 2019, 08:13 PM
WTF?! xlolx

You guys trying to give it away?

POD Knows
October 26th, 2019, 08:46 PM
OH baby, brand new ballgame.

BEAR
October 26th, 2019, 08:47 PM
22-22.

Sam defense crumbling.

Now OUR defense has to stop them!

Daytripper
October 26th, 2019, 08:48 PM
Our lack of offense is wearing the f*** out of our defense.

BEAR
October 26th, 2019, 08:56 PM
5 minutes left for us to drive....

Daytripper
October 26th, 2019, 08:56 PM
25-22 Sam. It also gave our defense a breather.

BEAR
October 26th, 2019, 09:02 PM
29-25 UCA leads with less than 4 minutes

Daytripper
October 26th, 2019, 09:03 PM
Sam has to drive for the touchdown to win and eat up all of the clock in the process. We can't stop the Bear offense in the second half.

BEAR
October 26th, 2019, 09:09 PM
Where are the holding calls?!

BEAR
October 26th, 2019, 09:12 PM
Are we seriously going to give up a TD?

BEAR
October 26th, 2019, 09:14 PM
Sam fumbles!

UCA wins!

Schism55
October 26th, 2019, 09:20 PM
Congrats Bears!
Sam playoff chances on life support.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 26th, 2019, 09:23 PM
Hard to see the Southland getting more than 2 teams in.

Puddin Tane
October 26th, 2019, 09:29 PM
if lamar pulls a miracle next week, things will be really screwy

Puddin Tane
October 26th, 2019, 09:32 PM
sam's gotta root for LU next week! ha

BEAR
October 26th, 2019, 09:37 PM
sam's gotta root for LU next week! ha

I can't see that happening. xlolx

SLC is really weak. 2 in at most.

BEAR
October 26th, 2019, 10:03 PM
Heck of a game Sammy.

Hard to to win with the QB situation you have there.

I thought for sure we'd score on ONE of those first half drives but your D played great. Plus our dumb holding penalties kept us out of the end zone twice.

bwbear
October 26th, 2019, 10:42 PM
Wow, what a game. Typical slower start from UCA. Moved the ball well, but SHSU defense was stout. Big props to them for stopping us as much as they did.

I'll keep my opinions to myself about the officiating though. xsmhx

Derby City Duke
October 26th, 2019, 10:53 PM
Thank you Bears for not making me wrong 2 straight weeks picking against Sam!

caribbeanhen
October 26th, 2019, 11:11 PM
Saw most of the game

knew Cark would come storming back

Sammy and KC usually have better QB but no clue on why who is where

Puddin Tane
October 27th, 2019, 07:47 PM
Sammie has pretty much of a cakewalk the rest of the way..uca, Sela, Nichols, uiw, are gonna be beating each other up

Outsider1
October 27th, 2019, 08:27 PM
Sammie has pretty much of a cakewalk the rest of the way..uca, Sela, Nichols, uiw, are gonna be beating each other up

I bet Nicholls thought they had a cakewalk last week and considering we beat Sammie at their house last year I would disagree with you. There ain't no guarantees, and SHSU has a current 49% chance of winning in two weeks, but basically a 50/50 isn't a cakewalk....

katss07
October 27th, 2019, 09:17 PM
At Abilene is anything but a cakewalk. They nearly beat us last time we went out there, then came to Bowers and beat up on the Kats in 2018. Eric should be back so the quarterback situation will be ideal, but the Kats have to run the table to have a shot at the playoffs. And anything can happen in the SLC. That means no more slip ups.

I wouldn’t call these next 3 games “a cakewalk”.

Outsider1
October 27th, 2019, 09:42 PM
SHSU at ACU is going to be one heck of a game either way... I REALLY hope you Bearkat fans come out.

BEAR
October 27th, 2019, 10:27 PM
I had been screaming all year to use more of our talented WRs. Did it take Winningham breaking his arm for the coaches to see it? Hampton and Hudson are just two that can get it done. I think now Breylin will be able to spread it around which might open up,the run game. We are banged up so it may be for naught but it will be a fun ride for fans.

Puddin Tane
October 27th, 2019, 11:30 PM
bears coming to the swamps. anddddddd, its supposed to be nice weather!

afternoon game, opening day of deer season. could amount to a puny crowd.

BEAR
October 28th, 2019, 09:05 AM
bears coming to the swamps. anddddddd, its supposed to be nice weather!

afternoon game, opening day of deer season. could amount to a puny crowd.

It wouldn't have been any better if the game was here. Weather is supposed to be cold and rainy plus deer season is in full swing. We even get this:

In a bizarre twist of fate, an Arkansas hunter was killed after a deer that he had just shot attacked him, according to reports. Wildlife officials said that Thomas Alexander, 66, had shot the buck using a muzzleloader while hunting near Yellville, Marion County.
According to Keith Stephens, Chief of Communications at the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission (AGFC)—which investigated the death—Alexander then approached the deer to check if he had killed it.

https://www.newsweek.com/arkansas-hunter-deer-puncture-wounds-1467449

Even when you shoot em they get you. Talk about bad luck...:(