PDA

View Full Version : 2019-10/26 AGS GOTW Week 9

Preferred Walk-On
October 20th, 2019, 11:18 PM
Although there is only one game with two teams ranked in the top 5, there are a number of matchups (1) involving two AGS-ranked teams, (2) having conference title implications, and/or (3) having playoff implications (or at least one of these criteria, if you are an Ivy or a SWAC).

#1 North Dakota State @ #3 South Dakota State - Dakota Marker game, College Gameday, and rematch of last year's 1 vs. 3 game (see https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?213415-2018-09-29-AGS-GOTW-Week-5).

#17 (#21) Towson @ #2 James Madison - With a 1-2 conference record, this feels like one of those games the Tigers need to win to keep in the thick of the conference race. Realistically, even with a loss, Towson could finish 8-4 and make the playoffs. The Dukes need to keep clicking away to keep on track for a 1 or 2 seed and play all their December games in Harrisonburg.

#21 (#23) Stony Brook @ #6 Villanova - On paper, this is the last hurdle for the Wildcats to end up 11-1, stay in the conference title race, and earn a seed. Then again, games aren't played on paper.

#20 (#26) Tennessee-Martin @ #25 (#28) Southeast Missouri State - Raise your hand if you thought the Skyhawks would be in the lead for the OVC title AND could control their own destiny at week 9 of the season. That's what I thought. Yet, this game is the first of a three game gauntlet towards that very goal. The Redhawks will surely have something to say about that.

#22 (NR) Sam Houston State @ #12 (#14) Central Arkansas - There is a 1-loss log-jam in the Southland. The Bearkats' two FCS losses are by a combined 7 points, and they have one more conference win than Central Arkansas. The Bears, besides having one of the best looking fields in the FCS, need this win, as they finish with one of the toughest remaining conference schedules of the Southland contenders.

#35 (#40) Chattanooga @ #24 (#29) Wofford - The Mocs look to keep a hold on the top spot in the SoCon. The Terriers are trying to put their slow start in the rearview mirror and force a three-way tie for first place in the SoCon (sound familiar?).

Harvard @ #14 (#18) Princeton - Battle of the 2-0's in the Ivy. The Tigers are trying to keep their record clean until their rematch with Dartmouth in two weeks. The Crimson could make a statement these next two weeks in their pursuit to tie the Tigers and Big Green for most Ivy League conference titles all-time, by starting with a win over Princeton.

Southern @ Alcorn State - Battle of the only conference undefeateds in each division of the SWAC. This is a rematch of last year's SWAC championship and could very well be the preview of their potential 2nd matchup in the SWAC championship game this year.

The Big Sky Bonus: One team in each of these games is playing for playoff survival. Since eleven Big Sky (or former BSC) teams are in the top 13 for Massey SOS, these games must be considered for GOTW, right...right? But seriously, these will likely be very good games, with something at stake in each, but I am not sure if they will provide more clarity or more confusion to the Big Sky picture.

#11 (#12) Montana State @ #37 (NR) North Dakota (Ind) - The Fighting Hawks can probably only withstand one more loss and still have a chance at a playoff invite...and they play the Bobcats and Weber State in back-to-back weeks. The Bobcats look to rebound after their Sac State beatdown and have had two weeks to prep for North Dakota.

Eastern Washington @ #7 (#5) Montana - I don't think many thought the Eagles would be in a position of "must-win", but a loss would mean a 7-5 record at best. The Grizzlies look to rebound after the Sac State game and must do so with questions about the health of their dynamic QB.

#4 Weber State @ #23 (#25) UC Davis - The Wildcats look to keep pace with Sac State. Meanwhile, the Aggies need to win 3 of their last 4 remaining games to end up 7-5...opponents in their last 4 games are (in order): Weber State, Portland State, Montana State, and Sac State.

dewey
October 20th, 2019, 11:41 PM
NDSU vs SDSU for me.

Time for another beat down of the bunnies....maybe 2 if they get funneled through the Fargodome again come playoff timexthumbsupx

Go Bison!

Dewey

Lorne_Malvo
October 21st, 2019, 12:07 AM
This one is kind of a no-brainer.

tierre
October 21st, 2019, 12:08 AM
It will be a sellout at Alcorn this week.

SUPharmacist
October 21st, 2019, 12:21 AM
Homer pick for me. Cant wait to see how college gameday is in Brookings.

grizband
October 21st, 2019, 12:42 AM
There's only one correct answer this week: Bison vs Bunnies!

RabidRabbit
October 21st, 2019, 06:52 AM
Jack's & Bizun.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Daytripper
October 21st, 2019, 07:31 AM
I know the NDSU/SDSU matchup will win by a mile, so I'm going full homer and picking Bearkats v. Bears. The winner likely wins the Southland.

katss07
October 21st, 2019, 07:46 AM
Stacked weekend. As much as I want it to be Sam/UCA, I think it’s fair to say there is only one correct answer here.

BEAR
October 21st, 2019, 08:42 AM
I know the NDSU/SDSU matchup will win by a mile, so I'm going full homer and picking Bearkats v. Bears. The winner likely wins the Southland.

Not only that it will do one of two things:
1. Prove to Bear fans we've gotten lucky in 7 games. Though I do wonder if we keep saying that the end of the year will come about and we'll have an issue using it as an excuse....xlolx
2. If SHSU can get by UCA and ACU both on the road then they have HBU and NWST at home so getting to 8 should be possible. Lose to UCA and SHSU will likely have to sweep the next three with only a UIW as their marker win. OUCH.

Sycamore62
October 21st, 2019, 08:46 AM
ISUb@ISUr

Daytripper
October 21st, 2019, 08:58 AM
1. Prove to Bear fans we've gotten lucky in 7 games. Though I do wonder if we keep saying that the end of the year will come about and we'll have an issue using it as an excuse....xlolx
2. If SHSU can get by UCA and ACU both on the road then they have HBU and NWST at home so getting to 8 should be possible. Lose to UCA and SHSU will likely have to sweep the next three with only a UIW as their marker win. OUCH.

Nicholls?

Katfan
October 21st, 2019, 09:21 AM
What about Nichols win?

Bisonator
October 21st, 2019, 09:29 AM
Marker game hands down!xnodx

BEAR
October 21st, 2019, 10:03 AM
What about Nichols win?

Good win for sure but Nichols has ACU, UIW, McNeese and SLU left. If Nicholls goes 8-4 with that schedule it will look good for SHSU. If not then not as much. Fourcade oughta quit whining during the game and take the next snap. Might help their cause gametime. xlolx

Laker
October 21st, 2019, 10:22 AM
Marker Game. And no need to change the name of it either!

ST_Lawson
October 21st, 2019, 01:26 PM
Most weeks I really look around at the other options and try to do my best to "spread the love" rather than just voting for a MVFC matchup. This week though, there's no question.
This Marker Game is essentially the "conference championship game" and will be pointed to by many when it comes to determining playoff seeding at the end of the regular season.

RabidRabbit
October 21st, 2019, 02:01 PM
Likely NDSU@SDSU is FCS GOTY (non playoffs).

Weber St vs Sac St may challenge.

Best CAA matchup already played. Nova/JMU.

Other conferences either lots of losses, or only only good team.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Katfan
October 21st, 2019, 02:10 PM
Good win for sure but Nichols has ACU, UIW, McNeese and SLU left. If Nicholls goes 8-4 with that schedule it will look good for SHSU. If not then not as much. Fourcade oughta quit whining during the game and take the next snap. Might help their cause gametime. xlolx
That’s funny I have never seen a player complain literally after every play. He took a hard hit on a run play and came up complaining to the ref. I hope he told him not to run the ball if you don’t want to get hit. He’s probably still sore today after all the shots he took

Herdistheword
October 21st, 2019, 02:26 PM
I’ll take NDSU/SDSU by a large margin. You’ve got a rivalry game against two of the top 3 teams and national media attention with Gameday. The atmosphere in Fargo was electric leading up to the first gameday experience. Even though I want the bunnies to get trampled, I hope Brookings steps up to make it a great Gameday experience. Gotta represent the FCS!

BEAR
October 21st, 2019, 02:28 PM
That’s funny I have never seen a player complain literally after every play. He took a hard hit on a run play and came up complaining to the ref. I hope he told him not to run the ball if you don’t want to get hit. He’s probably still sore today after all the shots he took

Yeah. I noticed that when I watched the game. I wanted to see what kind of defense was coming to Conway. I wish we had the dline to get to Fourcade like we did last year but losing an All-American before the season starts and a few others to injury really hurt us and it shows. Plus I had no idea we were playing 2 freshman, 2 sophs, and one senior on the Oline. No wonder Breylin is only hitting 67% of his passes. :(

Daytripper
October 21st, 2019, 04:36 PM
Yeah. I noticed that when I watched the game. I wanted to see what kind of defense was coming to Conway. I wish we had the dline to get to Fourcade like we did last year but losing an All-American before the season starts and a few others to injury really hurt us and it shows. Plus I had no idea we were playing 2 freshman, 2 sophs, and one senior on the Oline. No wonder Breylin is only hitting 67% of his passes. :(

Look out for our huge DT Wallace (#95). He will ruin your day.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 21st, 2019, 05:35 PM
Easy pick.

NDSU/SDSU: Game of the year in the FCS

Preferred Walk-On
October 24th, 2019, 01:30 PM
One bump, for posterity's sake.