PDA

View Full Version : NDSU SDSU needs a better rivalry name

frozennorth
October 20th, 2019, 03:13 PM
The Dakota Marker Game just doesn't cut it.

How about the Great Northern War?

Who has better suggestions?

Lorne_Malvo
October 20th, 2019, 03:21 PM
The Dakota Marker Game just doesn't cut it.

How about the Great Northern War?

Who has better suggestions?

How about no. We have a tradition with SDSU. We like it the way it is.

CappinHard
October 20th, 2019, 03:36 PM
How about no. We have a tradition with SDSU. We like it the way it is.

Agreed.

/endthread

BisonFan02
October 20th, 2019, 03:37 PM
Yeah. I like the Marker.

katss07
October 20th, 2019, 03:52 PM
If it ain’t broke don’t fix it

IBleedYellow
October 20th, 2019, 03:54 PM
**** off UND fans.

Y'all told us we'd both fail in D1. Go back to your stupid little hole in the wall.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

mmiller_34
October 20th, 2019, 03:58 PM
What is wrong with the Dakota Marker name?

Our rivalry has aged very well the past 15 years...

F'N Hawks
October 20th, 2019, 04:22 PM
**** off UND fans.

Y'all told us we'd both fail in D1. Go back to your stupid little hole in the wall.

Why are you involving us in this, weirdo?

Lorne_Malvo
October 20th, 2019, 04:38 PM
Why are you involving us in this, weirdo?

Because the OP is a UND fan.

POD Knows
October 20th, 2019, 04:44 PM
Because the OP is a UND fan.I don't think so, he was the first guy to neg rep me, I think he is a Bison fan.

FargoBison
October 20th, 2019, 04:45 PM
The name is based on history and a great trophy, nothing needs to change.

IBleedYellow
October 20th, 2019, 04:46 PM
Frozen North is a Bison fan?

1. Well I always assumed he was a UND fan.

2. The idea is still ****

Laker
October 20th, 2019, 04:47 PM
The name describes exactly what the game is about, why would you change it?

POD Knows
October 20th, 2019, 04:51 PM
Frozen North is a Bison fan?

1. Well I always assumed he was a UND fan.

2. The idea is still ****

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TapatalkFirst month I was on the board he neg rep'd me, sent him a PM and asked WTF, I thought he was a UND guy but he said he wasn't, just didn't like my post, which proved he was either a UND DB or a NDSU guy with ****ty taste in posts. He is the only guy on this board to neg rep me which is freaking shocking on it's face.

F'N Hawks
October 20th, 2019, 04:53 PM
First month I was on the board he neg rep'd me, sent him a PM and asked WTF, I thought he was a UND guy but he said he wasn't, just didn't like my post, which proved he was either a UND DB or a NDSU guy with ****ty taste in posts. He is the only guy on this board to neg rep me which is freaking shocking on it's face.

He is an NDSU guy.

POD Knows
October 20th, 2019, 04:55 PM
He is an NDSU guy.Yep, that is what I thought.

Lorne_Malvo
October 20th, 2019, 04:58 PM
Ahhhh so hes probably the guy thats puts NDSU at #6 on his poll. :)
My mistake F'N. My apologies!

NDSU1980
October 20th, 2019, 04:59 PM
First month I was on the board he neg rep'd me, sent him a PM and asked WTF, I thought he was a UND guy but he said he wasn't, just didn't like my post, which proved he was either a UND DB or a NDSU guy with ****ty taste in posts. He is the only guy on this board to neg rep me which is freaking shocking on it's face.
I think we just found the mysterious NDSU voter who never thinks NDSU is #1. I bet he's the guy.

wapiti
October 20th, 2019, 05:01 PM
I thought Dodge should have been a sponsor of this game and promote the Dodge Dakota pickup truck at it, but Dodge no longer produces the Dakota.

IBleedYellow
October 20th, 2019, 05:07 PM
I mean UND fans can still go back to their hole in the wall. [emoji57]

uni88
October 20th, 2019, 05:20 PM
Come on, this could be fun ...

How about Canadian Testicle Spectacle?

;)

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

GoBlueHens83
October 20th, 2019, 06:19 PM
Who cares what the name is? As long as it’s a competitive and entertaining game I wouldn’t care what they call it.

You want to hear a rivalry name that sucks? The Battle of The Blue UD vs Villanova. It’s a boring name and UD never can figure out how to win it.

Laker
October 20th, 2019, 06:23 PM
Who cares what the name is? As long as it’s a competitive and entertaining game I wouldn’t care what they call it.

You want to hear a rivalry name that sucks? The Battle of The Blue UD vs Villanova. It’s a boring name and UD never can figure out how to win it.

The Civil Conflict is probably the dumbest invented rivalry- UCF and UConn.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Conflict

GoBlueHens83
October 20th, 2019, 06:27 PM
The Civil Conflict is probably the dumbest invented rivalry- UCF and UConn.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Conflict

By a wide margin, it is the worst. If your school is going to call a game like that a rivalry, you might as well come up with a dumb trophy and a dumb name for every team you play.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 20th, 2019, 06:37 PM
Marker game stays the same...no need to change.

The marker itself is cool as heck. Growing up only a few miles from the border, there were markers still in the ground when I was a kid.

Totally cool trophy because there is nothing else like it in the country.

Laker
October 20th, 2019, 07:26 PM
By a wide margin, it is the worst. If your school is going to call a game like that a rivalry, you might as well come up with a dumb trophy and a dumb name for every team you play.

The Gophers probably take the prize for trophy games. The Little Brown Jug is a classic, but they don't play every year and the Gophers rarely win it. Floyd of Rosedale is a classic, and Paul Bunyan's Axe is the replacement for the Slab of Bacon. The Governor's Trophy with Penn State has no reason to exist, and the unofficial $5 Bits of Chair with Nebraska is a joke.

http://www.startribune.com/how-gophers-trophy-football-games-rank/497984541/

BisonTru
October 20th, 2019, 08:02 PM
Wow this place has turned into Bisonville 2.0. The dude has an opinion. I agree with the OP. It’s a manufactured trophy and to be honest it started as a manufactured rivalry. But since SDSU has been the Bisons biggest challenger it’s growing into a fine rivalry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 20th, 2019, 08:03 PM
Wow this place has turned into Bisonville 2.0. The dude has an opinion. I agree with the OP. It’s a manufactured trophy and to be honest it started as a manufactured rivalry. But since SDSU has been the Bisons biggest challenger it’s growing into a fine rivalry.

xblahxxblahxxblahxxblahxxblahxxblahxxblahx

BisonTru
October 20th, 2019, 08:07 PM
Come on, this could be fun ...

How about Canadian Testicle Spectacle?

;)

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I like the Heifer bowl. You know since we’re an Ag school and ... well ... their cheerleaders.

BisonFan02
October 20th, 2019, 08:27 PM

Oh god whatever. The nickel is dead. Manufactured or not...it was nice to have a rivalry game when both teams moved up at the same time. Very similar schools in neighboring states....I'm glad they did it.

Daytripper
October 21st, 2019, 09:14 AM

Battle of the Piney Woods. Good Trophy. Good Rivalry.

https://s.hdnux.com/photos/24/50/24/5408005/3/920x920.jpg

Winterborn
October 22nd, 2019, 04:02 PM
Oh god whatever. The nickel is dead. Manufactured or not...it was nice to have a rivalry game when both teams moved up at the same time. Very similar schools in neighboring states....I'm glad they did it.

Agree. I have family members on both sides of the border and it is always a fun game to give each other crap over and poke a bit of fun at. Plus since we have been playing each other in the playoff's, the fun extends into our Christmas gathering.

Thumper 76
October 23rd, 2019, 01:43 AM

On the nuts. It started as a manufactured rivalry (sort of, 100 years of history helps) but it’s become the real deal.

dewey
October 23rd, 2019, 07:46 AM
On the nuts. It started as a manufactured rivalry (sort of, 100 years of history helps) but it’s become the real deal.

Agreed. Like I said in another thread this is a respected rivalry and the Dakota Marker is awesome.

Side story.
In 2013 when NDSU was down there and shut out the bunnies. The wifey and 2 of our boys (3.5 and about 4 months) got to go on the field after the game and we got pictures with some players and the Dakota Marker trophy.

Dewey

AmsterBison
October 23rd, 2019, 02:16 PM
Who remembers that SDSU WR wiping his feet on the Bison head logo in our end zone?

Edit: Forgot the name idea (probably because I don't give .001 of a rat fart what they call it): The Super Cereal Bowl.

IBleedYellow
October 23rd, 2019, 02:35 PM
https://kwsn.com/podcasts/sports-talk-with-kwsn/5093/mike-mcfeely-fargo-forum-on-ndsu-angle-for-college-gameday-rivalry-with-sdsu/

I hate Mike McFeely for what he does and says, but listen to him @ 11:45 to 12:30. He nailed it.

Herder
October 23rd, 2019, 02:36 PM
The Walleye War
The Missouri River Rivalry

AmsterBison
October 23rd, 2019, 02:37 PM
The Walleye War
The Missouri River Rivalry

We Scream For Ice Cream Bowl

BisonTru
October 23rd, 2019, 02:42 PM
The Big Battle on the Prairie.

Ok I’ll see myself out.

[emoji41]

Ramblin' Man
October 23rd, 2019, 03:43 PM
I thought Dodge should have been a sponsor of this game and promote the Dodge Dakota pickup truck at it, but Dodge no longer produces the Dakota.

Perhaps you could get Dakota Fanning to present the trophy to the winning team. xthumbsupx

BisonFan02
October 23rd, 2019, 04:29 PM

This. I mean, the game always had at least a little bit of juice because of the schools, but it ramped up in the D1 era.

BisonTru
October 23rd, 2019, 10:36 PM
FWIW I don’t believe the OP was downplaying the game, just the name.

Thumper 76
October 24th, 2019, 04:49 AM

Trying to push any other name would be silly at this point. The name has stuck and is now attached to the game. You want to know what name should be changed for a rivalry? The South Dakota Showdown Series, brought to you by the South Dakota Corn Council. And yote fans say the Marker Game is a made up forced rivalry xlolx xlolx xlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 24th, 2019, 06:18 AM

It is a great name. History of it is undeniable with the markers along the border.

AmsterBison
October 24th, 2019, 08:30 AM
It is a great name. History of it is undeniable with the markers along the border.

I don't mind the official name, but this will always be "Bunny Week" to me. Heck, some people might even call this Saturday "Bunny Day." I'm pretty sure the French would say. "Good idea."

Merci, merci, je serai là toute la semaine.

JacksFan40
October 24th, 2019, 11:50 AM
This. I mean, the game always had at least a little bit of juice because of the schools, but it ramped up in the D1 era.
I never really thought of NDSU as a rival back in the D2 days. It was always a game I wanted SDSU to win due to both being the xDSUs and beating a powerhouse like NDSU was huge, but always saw USD and Augie as more of rivals. Especially USD.

Gil Dobie
October 24th, 2019, 01:03 PM
I don't mind the official name, but this will always be "Bunny Week" to me. Heck, some people might even call this Saturday "Bunny Day." I'm pretty sure the French would say. "Good idea."

Merci, merci, je serai là toute la semaine.

Bunny Week, blast from the past.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-5lIrQORJvSU/VCTOq5xcHbI/AAAAAAAAAIA/9AyVc6KyRgM/s1600/Bison0007.jpg

CappinHard
October 24th, 2019, 02:43 PM

That is a sweet button. Love it.

that guy
October 24th, 2019, 03:08 PM
So that's where AC/DC got the idea for that song.xnodx

MR. CHICKEN
October 24th, 2019, 03:20 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-5lIrQORJvSU/VCTOq5xcHbI/AAAAAAAAAIA/9AyVc6KyRgM/s1600/Bison0007.jpg

.............PUT IT ON E-BAY....AH WANT IT......AH WANT IT.........BRAWK!

cx500d
October 24th, 2019, 03:26 PM

I don’t remember that, and I was there.

Gil Dobie
October 24th, 2019, 03:32 PM
I don’t remember that, and I was there.

I have one from 1985 too, also SDSU.

Bison homecoming pins are very hard to find.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 25th, 2019, 06:08 AM
I don't remember Homecoming pins when I was at NDSU in the late 80s.