PDA

View Full Version : Chatty wants to keep D-I title game.

Cocky
May 11th, 2007, 07:54 AM
http://www.wrcbtv.com/news/index.cfm?sid=8235

TexasTerror
May 11th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Do you blame them?

The game is getting bigger and bigger with each passing year. They're on to something good and there's no reason to let is get away...

Ronbo
May 11th, 2007, 08:44 AM
It's needs a bigger venue. There are times when the crowd coud easily exceed the 20,000 that stadium holds. Isn't there a bigger stadium somewhere in the neighborhood?

blueballs
May 11th, 2007, 08:44 AM
I just wish the weather was better there...

SoCon48
May 11th, 2007, 08:55 AM
It's needs a bigger venue. There are times when the crowd coud easily exceed the 20,000 that stadium holds. Isn't there a bigger stadium somewhere in the neighborhood?

Some years it would be half empty depending on the particiapants. We don't need a title game with empty seats glaring on TV.
Leve it alone.

BeauFoster
May 11th, 2007, 08:56 AM
I don't know that it needs a new venue. Last year was the first year that the game has sold out (in Chattanooga) and that was mainly because of the ASU fans. The only reason to move the game to a larger stadium would be if two well-travelling schools made the championship game (of course this wouldn't be feasible). For instance, say Montana and GSU or ASU made the game. You could expect 35K-40K for that. But a Cal Poly-Maine game won't draw 15k (no offense to those schools - just random names pulled from space). The NCAA can't really afford to move the game to a 35k seat stadium on the off chance that another enormous crowd will show. If only 8k show up, it looks like horse poo for TV.

g-webb1994
May 11th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Keeping it at Chatt makes perfect sense, unless they want to move it to Greenville or Statesboro.

PantherRob82
May 11th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Why is this news? They've made it clear they want to keep it a couple of times in the last year. Just reminding us?

MYTAPPY
May 11th, 2007, 10:19 AM
I just wish the weather was better there...

The weather was excellent last year. Lots of sunshine and unseasonably warm temps.......

catamount man
May 11th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Finley Stadium is a beautiful gem in a great city and I hope Nooga has the title game for a while. I can see them expanding though someday.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

claydus
May 11th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Move it to Knoxville, Memphis, or Louisville

atlGAmocs
May 11th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Move it to Knoxville, Memphis, or Louisville

To the 100,000+ Neyland Stadiumxlolx. 80,000 empty seats would make awful marketing for FCS.

DHill
May 11th, 2007, 11:36 AM
To the 100,000+ Neyland Stadiumxlolx. 80,000 empty seats would make awful marketing for FCS.

You are correct sir. It is amazing that now that the FCS is growing larger ever year, everyone wants it. In the begining, we had NO compitition... now....well....you've seen the post. What better place to hold a game that is growing expenitially than a CITY that is growing expenitially. I say, KEEP THE GAME IN THE HEART OF FOOTBALL TERRITORY. CHATTANOOGA. .... still the ONLY viable option!!!! GO MOCS!!!xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

Sir William
May 11th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Leave it in Chattanooga.

Very nice stadium.
Very nice city.
Very nice people and hospitality.

It ain't broken...don't fix it.

Leave it in Chattanooga.

DunkandDukin
May 11th, 2007, 11:51 AM
i vote for Chatty as well. Far enough to be a fun road trip, close enough to be a fun road trip. ;)

Really nice people we met and a small enough setting they knew what we were there for and seemed to really appreciate it.

Move it to a big city "you're here for what?" Nobody would care.

bluehenbillk
May 11th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Move it to a big city "you're here for what?" Nobody would care.

Way to think small!!

Sir William
May 11th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Way to think small!!

No, Bluehen, Dunk is right.

Chatty has embraced the game. Why leave?

walliver
May 11th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Before getting too excited about last year's sell-out, we need to consider how many ASU fans would have travelled Las Vegas, or Idaho, etc. It would probably still be a good crowd, but much less than the number who travelled to Chattanooga.

DunkandDukin
May 11th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Way to think small!!

xrolleyesx Okay Bill, so how many of the FCS title games have you traveled to with UD not in it? I know a few folks do it, but not many.
Put it in Dallas with Montana St. Vs Colgate, what would be your guess for attendance?

Chatty is a good fit size wise for both the city and the venue. Thinking realistically. xcoffeex

bluehenbillk
May 11th, 2007, 12:19 PM
xrolleyesx Okay Bill, so how many of the FCS title games have you traveled to with UD not in it? I know a few folks do it, but not many.

Thanks for making my point, take a Southern Conference team out of it & the numbers aren't gonna impress many people.

henfan
May 11th, 2007, 12:32 PM
If Chattanooga wants the game, let them have it. They've done a great job! I like that they continue to state how much they want the game to remain there.

Aside from Cedar Falls, no other city has bothered to put in a bid on hosting. The NC isn't going anywhere until/unless another city with more to offer puts up a bid more competitive than Chattanooga.

DunkandDukin
May 11th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Thanks for making my point, take a Southern Conference team out of it & the numbers aren't gonna impress many people.

Wha? how was that making your pt that I was "thinking small"? xeyebrowx

lizrdgizrd
May 11th, 2007, 02:52 PM
You're the one who just said:

Way to think small!!
Your point is that we should be thinking small? xconfusedx

JDC325
May 11th, 2007, 02:59 PM
If Chattanooga wants the game, let them have it. They've done a great job! I like that they continue to state how much they want the game to remain there.

Aside from Cedar Falls, no other city has bothered to put in a bid on hosting. The NC isn't going anywhere until/unless another city with more to offer puts up a bid more competitive than Chattanooga.

Exactly for RIGHT now it is okay in Chatty close teams are not going to make it every year even the SoCon does manage to send a representative quite often. xsmiley_wix Until the game sells out consitently no other city is going to bid. When that time comes I would have NO problem seeing it move to a larger stadium and not leave money on the table even if we could not sell out the entire venue. It may not "look" as good to have empty seats but money is money and you have to move up sometime.

bcrawf
May 11th, 2007, 03:00 PM
They have put a bunch of money into the entire Dome complex in Cedar Falls. It would be a GREAT site. Our downtown would make for a great 'block party' type atmosphere and the new McLeod Center would be WAY better than the pavillion...

Lets face the fact that the only reason there have been great crowds the last two years is because its a three hour drive from the backwoods at Appy State.

I obviously have a bias here, but the Cedar Valley is used to GREAT FCS/IAA football and you would have a full Dome every year regardless of teams, you can't say that about Chatty....

lizrdgizrd
May 11th, 2007, 03:03 PM
They have put a bunch of money into the entire Dome complex in Cedar Falls. It would be a GREAT site. Our downtown would make for a great 'block party' type atmosphere and the new McLeod Center would be WAY better than the pavillion...

Lets face the fact that the only reason there have been great crowds the last two years is because its a three hour drive from the backwoods at Appy State.

I obviously have a bias here, but the Cedar Valley is used to GREAT FCS/IAA football and you would have a full Dome every year regardless of teams, you can't say that about Chatty....
How much snow do you guys usually have in late December? IIRC from living in Des Moines it's usually a significant amount.

Mountaineer
May 11th, 2007, 03:20 PM

Wasn't UNI having problems filling the Dome last year? Could've sworn there were a few posts on here talking about the lackluster crowds. Granted it was a down year for UNI, but still.. xeyebrowx

Polywog
May 11th, 2007, 04:25 PM
It's true that Cal Poly fans wouldn't travel well to Chattanooga....because its over 2,200 miles away. I know App fans travel really well, but I bet their numbers would drop dramatically if the championship game was at Spartan Stadium in San Jose. When you put those kind of miles between your hometown and the title game, no team would travel well.

Though it does pain me to say so, it does make the most sense to have the championship game on the East Coast. There just aren't that many FCS teams out west. I imagine quite a few fans are in the stands in Chatty that are not affiliated with either school in the game, simply because they are fans of FCS football. Heck, I'd go to the chamionship game no matter who was playing if it was within a couple hundred miles from home.

It's too bad there couldn't be a tie-in for the location of the championship game with the geographies of the winning teams...some kind of seeding that would allow the game to be played out West if it made sense for the teams in the game. But since that won't happen, I'll just have to start saving up for a ticket to see my Mustangs in Chattanooga this year!!! xthumbsupx

PantherRob82
May 11th, 2007, 06:18 PM
The weather was excellent last year. Lots of sunshine and unseasonably warm temps.......

but the year before? brrrrr

PantherRob82
May 11th, 2007, 06:19 PM

too cold. otherwise it would be great.

PantherRob82
May 11th, 2007, 06:20 PM
I hope they clean up the area around the stadium a bit since they've made the improvements in the stadium.

Fresno St. Alum
May 11th, 2007, 06:49 PM
from what most of you guys said earlier, Chattanooga is the right place for the championship

PantherRob82
May 11th, 2007, 06:53 PM
I liked Chattamooga. A little bit of a long drive from here, but could be worse. Seemed a little slummy down by the stadium and it would be nice if there was a little more late night food within walking distance, but then again it was my first trip and maybe I didn't find everything.

gvilleapp
May 11th, 2007, 07:01 PM
I think the location is great. I really enjoyed getting to know the area the last two years.

The best thing that could happen to boost attendance, regardless of the site, would be to move the game from Friday night to Saturday night. I know the folks at ESPN want it on Friday, but it is so much harder for average folks to travel to a Friday night game than for a Saturday game. I think if the NCAA put it's foot down for Saturday night, ESPN would still televise the game.

appsfan
May 11th, 2007, 07:31 PM
I say leave the NC game in Chattanooga for the foreseable future. If demand dictates it, then consider a move to a larger venue. My experience this past December was great. The city was very welcoming and the game was THE happening that weekend. The only negative was trying to finding food after the game that wasn't fast food.

FlyYtown
May 11th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Bring it to Youngstown... Seats 22,000; room for 1-2,000 temporary seats in Northern Endzone.. Temperatures nice and cold. Professional Loges/Press Box.

All kidding aside now, keep it in 'nooga... Unless attendance falls for a period of time; then maybe I see a neutral field put to place for it... But right now, it's just right!

jmuroller
May 11th, 2007, 11:08 PM
I think the location is great. I really enjoyed getting to know the area the last two years.

The best thing that could happen to boost attendance, regardless of the site, would be to move the game from Friday night to Saturday night. I know the folks at ESPN want it on Friday, but it is so much harder for average folks to travel to a Friday night game than for a Saturday game. I think if the NCAA put it's foot down for Saturday night, ESPN would still televise the game.

The NCAA choose's when the game is going to be played. It's choices are Friday night, sat. at noon, or right after that. Friday at 8pm is considered PrimeTime and gets the most viewers. Getting an extra 3-400k viewers on TV and is much more important that getting a few extra thousand butts in the stands.

PantherRob82
May 11th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Getting an extra 3-400k viewers on TV and is much more important that getting a few extra thousand butts in the stands.

Why? Who says you wouldn't get more than a few extra thousand?

FargoBison
May 12th, 2007, 01:32 AM
The game does need to be moved.......to Saturday at 7PM. If that happend attendance and ratings would reach all time highs.

Fresno St. Alum
May 12th, 2007, 01:37 AM
The game does need to be moved.......to Saturday at 7PM. If that happend attendance and ratings would reach all time highs.
If its at 7 it would have to go up against an NFL game at 8, that would either be on ESPN or NFL Network. They don't want to do that.

FargoBison
May 12th, 2007, 01:45 AM
If its at 7 it would have to go up against an NFL game at 8, that would either be on ESPN or NFL Network. They don't want to do that.

I just realized that but I'd still take over Friday night, college football belongs on Saturday. 1PM, 3PM, 5PM would all be great as well, just move it to Saturday.

Fresno St. Alum
May 12th, 2007, 01:49 AM
I think saturday at 1 or 2 est. would be the best time. I don't remember if there are 2 or 3 NFL saturday games at that time. If there's 3 than saturday is out and Friday would be only time.

FargoBison
May 12th, 2007, 01:57 AM
I think saturday at 1 or 2 est. would be the best time. I don't remember if there are 2 or 3 NFL saturday games at that time. If there's 3 than saturday is out and Friday would be only time.

Last year, they had one game on NFL Network at 7PM(Central) so that would work out.

Fresno St. Alum
May 12th, 2007, 02:11 AM
So 3 or 4 est would be a perfect time.

chattanoogamocs
May 12th, 2007, 10:15 AM
HOMER ALERT.... :)

I tried to find the threads from the last four years to just copy and paste my comments (since this thread is a yearly re-hash of...I like, I don't like, the weather is always summer in the UNI-Dome, yada, yada, xlolx ) ...hey, it's the off-season, we gotta have somthing to talk about.

To answer one of the original questions in the thread...the reason it was on the news was because NCAA officials were in town.

So, a few talking points... :)

Are people "thinking small" by holding the CWS in Omaha every year...surely they could also move that to a bigger city?

The weather last year was not unseasonably warm...it was actually typical...the other years are been atypically cold (it is not uncommon to wear shorts on New Years Day in Chattanooga...but you just never know when you will get a cold snap in December)...also, when it was on Saturday afternoon, no one complained about the cold.

A tough ticket and sellouts are ALWAYS better than a bigger, but empty, stadium...and seeing this event in a packed house on TV makes other FCS fans want to attend when their school is participating (or even when they are not)...it creates serious buzz. That was part of the reason why more Chattanoogan are interested, because now it is a true "event" in town.

Do you think a bigger city would devote a whole section of the newspaper to the title game (last year there were something like 18 stories in the T-FP the week before, leading up to the title game You think if is was in a place like Dallas or Vegas, they would dedicate half of the front page (and the whole front page of the sports)? )...or have all three network stations have live feeds from the stadium during their telecasts on game day?

You put any game too far away from the center of FCS football and attendance will be tough without a home team involved.

Chattanoogans have stepped up and not only corrected any problem that has arisen, but exceeded what was expected (they went from a crappy field to as nice a turf as there is in college football...they added a wall of fame for past participants...they added fireworks and a parade).

They have, to the letter, done everything the NCAA has asked of them (including the sod fiasco...hell, the local management even took the blame for the disaster when it was the NCAA that demanded it)

Chattanooga has paid its dues and slowly increased awareness and community support every year it has been here. I admit, 3 or 4 years ago, many people had a ho-hum attitude about it...

Chattanooga is the home of the Division I Football Championship...and it is going to take a hell of an effort to pry our hands loose. :)

To further show our committment, the community has started a group called Friends of Finley that pledge to raise a minimum of $150K a year for continued improvements to the stadium...

(this is an SID release, so I assume it is alright to repost)

FRIENDS OF FINLEY FUNDRAISING CAMPAIGN ANNOUNCED

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. --- A Friends of Finley campaign was introduced Wednesday by members of the Finley Stadium Corporation and the Stadium Board to help raise funds for capital and improvement projects for Chattanooga’s Finley Stadium.

The campaign, announced by Gordon Davenport Jr., has set a goal of raising $150,000 by the end of 2007. It will be an annual initiative.

“Finley Stadium is an asset to our community,” Davenport said. “It showcases the City of Chattanooga to the nation. But it has a need to be maintained, and it has a need for capital repairs.”

Davenport said a small core of Friends has already raised nearly $70,000 toward the 2007 goal.

Opened in October of 1997, Finley Stadium is the home to the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga football team and has served as the host facility for the NCAA Division I (formerly Division I-AA) National Championship Football Game for each of its 10 years.

“We are excited about the Friends of Finley campaign,” UTC Director of Athletics Rick Hart said. “Our athletics department and our football program directly benefit from this initiative.”

The campaign has three main levels of support – a $5,000 donor is a Super Friend, a $2,500 donor is a Deluxe Friend and a $1,000 donor is a Real Friend. Each level of giving has benefits packages tied into it, with the packages geared toward Mocs football games and the National Championship Football Game.

The announcement came in conjunction with a meeting between the Greater Chattanooga Sports and Events Committee, the City of Chattanooga, UTC, NCAA representatives and members of the NCAA Division I Football Championship Committee.

“The 2006 Championship Game was a success,” said Damani Leech of the NCAA. “We wanted to strike while the iron was hot and came down to Chattanooga to meet earlier than usual. We wanted to go ahead and get together and continue to work on growing the event.”

Leech said that the Championship Game contract with Chattanooga expires following the 2007 game, but there is an option year built in. This year’s Championship Game is set for Dec. 14 and an announcement of the future of the game will be made at that time.

To join Friends of Finley, make checks payable to Stadium Campaign Corporation (501c3) and mail them to the Chattanooga Sports and Events Committee, P.O. Box 11508, Chattanooga, TN 37401.

See y'all in Chattanooga this December!

Pantherpower
May 12th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Other than the outcome of the '05 Championship game between ASU and UNIxbawlingx, I had a terrific time in Chattanooga. The citizens of Chattanooga were very gracious.

In particular, I had a great conversation just prior to the game with a Chattanooga native who was taking his son to the game. He said that the game and events surrounding it mean a great deal to the people of this town.

Even if I knew in advance that the outcome of the game would be the same, I'd drive down in a heartbeat to take it all in again. Truly one of the most incredible weekends I've ever experienced and will never forget it.

Now, all that being said, the Panthers need to get back there in '07. Odd numbered years have been good to UNI!

jmufootball2
May 12th, 2007, 04:08 PM
got to keep it a night game.

BigApp
May 12th, 2007, 06:22 PM
got to keep it a night game.

yep. under the lights makes it extra nice! xthumbsupx

HIU 93
May 14th, 2007, 12:32 PM
http://www.wrcbtv.com/news/index.cfm?sid=8235

It needs to move. A different town that has better accomodations and reasons to go there in December. I'm thinking somewhere in Florida. I would like to see BCC hold it. It's in Daytona Beach, so it's warm, they have enough accomodations, and it would be held on a FCS campus. I don't know what their stadium holds, but it is a thought.

89Hen
May 14th, 2007, 12:43 PM
It needs to move. A different town that has better accomodations and reasons to go there in December.
AFAIK, there is only one reason to go... it's where the game is being played. I seriously doubt you'll get 100 people to make a trip to the NC game that aren't involved with one of the participants no matter where it is.

HIU 93
May 14th, 2007, 01:02 PM
AFAIK, there is only one reason to go... it's where the game is being played. I seriously doubt you'll get 100 people to make a trip to the NC game that aren't involved with one of the participants no matter where it is.

And I'm sure you would get more support if the game could be made a destination instead of just a game. One of the reasons bowl games are so big in FCS is because the game is not just a game, it is an event and a destination. If it is pure sport and pure competition, the only people that will attend are pure sports fans. The casual fan is the one that fills the coffers. The event is the thing. If it is an event, it sells more tickets. More tickets means bigger TV deals. That benefits all our schools.

89Hen
May 14th, 2007, 01:07 PM
And I'm sure you would get more support if the game could be made a destination instead of just a game. One of the reasons bowl games are so big in FCS is because the game is not just a game, it is an event and a destination.
It's also because there is a LOT more than a week's notice. If you announced bowl games six days prior to them taking place... good luck getting people to a 'destination'.

First and foremost, to have a good sized crowd, you have to have it someplace that can be driven by at least one of the teams. Even with gas prices so high, you have a whole set of fans that would drive who would never in million years fly to the NC.

lillycafe
May 14th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Sticky Fingers in downtown Chattanooga was open late and was full of ASU fans. Other restaraunts were open as well. Now, in 2005 it was a different story. Had to settle for the Awful House!!!!

HIU 93
May 14th, 2007, 01:18 PM
It's also because there is a LOT more than a week's notice. If you announced bowl games six days prior to them taking place... good luck getting people to a 'destination'.

First and foremost, to have a good sized crowd, you have to have it someplace that can be driven by at least one of the teams. Even with gas prices so high, you have a whole set of fans that would drive who would never in million years fly to the NC.

So do it in Charlotte or Atlanta. Still in the same region, can be driven to, but better destinations.

89Hen
May 14th, 2007, 01:29 PM
So do it in Charlotte or Atlanta. Still in the same region, can be driven to, but better destinations.
How so? Seriously, I've been to Atlanta and Charlotte... fine places, but not really places I'd go as a 'destination'. The other concern... where do you have it? You need a 30,000ish stadium.

douglasdmb
May 14th, 2007, 01:57 PM
How so? Seriously, I've been to Atlanta and Charlotte... fine places, but not really places I'd go as a 'destination'. The other concern... where do you have it? You need a 30,000ish stadium.

I know it's a bit farther west than most would like, but what about San Antonio? The Alamo Bowl provides a great atmosphere and environment for a big football game. My parents are Mizzou season ticket holders xrolleyesx and every year they hope that Mizzou makes the Alamo Bowl. They've never made the effort to travel for any of Mizzou's other bowl games, but they've said that they'd fly out to San Antonio in a heartbeat for a game.

Col Hogan
May 14th, 2007, 02:28 PM
And I'm sure you would get more support if the game could be made a destination instead of just a game. One of the reasons bowl games are so big in FCS is because the game is not just a game, it is an event and a destination. If it is pure sport and pure competition, the only people that will attend are pure sports fans. The casual fan is the one that fills the coffers. The event is the thing. If it is an event, it sells more tickets. More tickets means bigger TV deals. That benefits all our schools.

This aspect of "marketing" the NC game, while it has grown in Chatty, seems to be years behind other professionally run events. Package deals that include tickets to the game need to be developed and marketed, along with developing events for families outside the stadium.

While this is an issue for the "fans" or the two teams, it really is not one when going for the "casual" fan. We all here on AGS do not fall into that "Casual" status, so it may be hard to remove ourselves from that thought process...but if you are into marketing, then the fans of the teams that make the final game are the people who fill in the seats not sold as part of a package to "casual" fans.

Hen, while this helps fill in the seats, if the game is not marketed to "casual" fans, what you are saying (and I'll agree with you) is if Montana and UCDavis make the NC, the place will be half empty. We can't have that for FCS (I hope you will agree), so we need to increase marketing, develop package deals to attract casual fans and families, and then possibly look for a different location.

89Hen
May 14th, 2007, 02:38 PM
I know it's a bit farther west than most would like, but what about San Antonio? The Alamo Bowl...
Too far, too big. xtwocentsx

89Hen
May 14th, 2007, 02:49 PM
While this is an issue for the "fans" or the two teams, it really is not one when going for the "casual" fan. We all here on AGS do not fall into that "Casual" status, so it may be hard to remove ourselves from that thought process...but if you are into marketing, then the fans of the teams that make the final game are the people who fill in the seats not sold as part of a package to "casual" fans.

Hen, while this helps fill in the seats, if the game is not marketed to "casual" fans, what you are saying (and I'll agree with you) is if Montana and UCDavis make the NC, the place will be half empty. We can't have that for FCS (I hope you will agree), so we need to increase marketing, develop package deals to attract casual fans and families, and then possibly look for a different location.
If the game is between Montana and CalPoly it's going to be half empty unless it is played in Missoula or SLO. IMO the game needs to stay where we have the best chance of having one or both teams within driving distance.

The unfortunate reality is we're not going to draw the "casual fan" TO places. Our best chance for the "casual fan" is to tap into a place like Chatty where the locals may get excited about hosting "their" game.

CitadelGrad
May 14th, 2007, 02:58 PM
I know it's a bit farther west than most would like, but what about San Antonio? The Alamo Bowl provides a great atmosphere and environment for a big football game. My parents are Mizzou season ticket holders xrolleyesx and every year they hope that Mizzou makes the Alamo Bowl. They've never made the effort to travel for any of Mizzou's other bowl games, but they've said that they'd fly out to San Antonio in a heartbeat for a game.

Ain't gonna happen. If you look at a map of FCS schools, you'll find that the geographic center is far to the east of San Antonio. It's difficult for fans to travel that far on a few days notice and the Alamo Bowl stadium is so large it would make the FCS crowd look like a joke on television.

henfan
May 14th, 2007, 03:27 PM
It needs to move. A different town that has better accomodations and reasons to go there in December. I'm thinking somewhere in Florida. I would like to see BCC hold it. It's in Daytona Beach, so it's warm, they have enough accomodations, and it would be held on a FCS campus. I don't know what their stadium holds, but it is a thought.

Problem is that Brevard & Volusia Co.'s haven't put together a bid as competitive as Chattanooga and doesn't have a facility capable of hosting the event. 10K-seat Daytona Municipal Stadium won't cut it.

This game isn't moving from Finley until some city puts up a better bid, with better facilities.

igo4uni
May 14th, 2007, 04:03 PM
"When Justin (Sell) did the
presentation for the Division I-AA football playoffs, he did it against
Chattanooga and their sports commission and San Antonio and their
sports commission," said Panther athletics director Rich Hartzell, "And
it was us, just UNI. That's part of what happened. We have to have some
more help if we are going to make these things happen."<br><br>Needless to say, UNI didn't land the football finals.<br><br>"That's the main reason we lost," said Sell. "It was not the facilities."

http://www.wcfcourier.com/articles/2005/01/25/sports/local/doc41f6754882f6e656846693.txt

Interesting article from a couple of years ago regarding the UNI bid to get the NC game. San Antonio and Chatty were the other cities vying for the game.

I'm not 100% sure UNI is the best place to host the game. The UNI-Dome seats 16,000, and if a Gateway team was playing, tickets would be tough to come by. Conversely, If no teams of local interest were involved, the place might be pretty empty. Also, Cedar Falls is a long ways from a lot of places.

I had fun in Chatty in 2005. A good experience, overall. It was a 13 hour drive, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat!!

igo4uni
May 14th, 2007, 04:16 PM
For those that don't know, UNI opened the brand new McLeod Center last fall. It's a first class basketball arena, connected on several levels to the UNI-Dome. The buildings would have quite a bit of room to host various activites surrounding a game. The McLeod center sits around 7,000.

http://www.library.uni.edu/speccoll/images/mcleod3.jpg
Aerial view of UNI-Dome and McLeod Center

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/niwa/galleries/mcleod-center-112805/HOF-from-East-side-lg.jpg
Mult-level walkway between the UNI-Dome and McLeod Center

89Hen
May 14th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Soft sell aint gonna work IGO. We're still talking Iowa. :p

igo4uni
May 14th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Soft sell aint gonna work IGO. We're still talking Iowa. :p

I admitted Cedar Falls was a long ways away from a lot of places in my first post!!

Then, my homer instincts took over!!!!!!!!!xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

jmuroller
May 14th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Why? Who says you wouldn't get more than a few extra thousand?

I seriously doubt that if you hold it on a Saturday you would get more than a few extra thousand. 3-4k at the most.

Saint3333
May 14th, 2007, 04:55 PM
I seriously doubt that if you hold it on a Saturday you would get more than a few extra thousand. 3-4k at the most.

That would depend on the opponents. If the teams aren't in driving distance it could help considerably. My vote would be for Saturday night. Fridays are for high school football.

89Hen
May 14th, 2007, 05:04 PM
So a 15-20% increase just by moving days. Not bad IMO.

89Hen
May 14th, 2007, 05:09 PM
BTW, interesting to note the NC games where neither team was withing driving distance...

1988 Furman vs. Ga. Southern in Pocatello, Idaho - 11,500
1987 La.-Monroe vs. Marshall in Pocatello, Idaho - 11,513
1986 Ga. Southern vs. Arkansas St. in Tacoma, Wash. - 4,419
1985 Ga. Southern vs. Furman in Tacoma, Wash. - 5,306
1984 Montana State vs. Louisiana Tech in Charleston, S.C. - 9,125

Hmmm, anyone see a trend?

dbackjon
May 14th, 2007, 05:21 PM
BTW, interesting to note the NC games where neither team was withing driving distance...

1988 Furman vs. Ga. Southern in Pocatello, Idaho - 11,500
1987 La.-Monroe vs. Marshall in Pocatello, Idaho - 11,513
1986 Ga. Southern vs. Arkansas St. in Tacoma, Wash. - 4,419
1985 Ga. Southern vs. Furman in Tacoma, Wash. - 5,306
1984 Montana State vs. Louisiana Tech in Charleston, S.C. - 9,125

Hmmm, anyone see a trend?

Attendence sucked in the 80's?

Georgia Southern and Furman don't travel well?

Teams that have moved up to FBS don't travel well???

DunkandDukin
May 14th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Certainly don't have it in Tacoma Washington again! What the heck where they thinking.

and FWIW I think there is far more interest and follwing of FCS football in general now and a far wider audience. More and more people are realizing it's pretty good stuffxthumbsupx

89Hen
May 14th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Attendence sucked in the 80's?

Georgia Southern and Furman don't travel well?

Teams that have moved up to FBS don't travel well???
Or...

They tried moving the game to bad locations in the 80's.

Teams don't travel great distances well.

Teams that have moved up to FBS and ones that have stayed in FCS don't travel great distances well.

dbackjon
May 14th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Or...

They tried moving the game to bad locations in the 80's.

Teams don't travel great distances well.

Teams that have moved up to FBS and ones that have stayed in FCS don't travel great distances well.

You have to remember that the mid 80's wasthe infancy of I-AA. And granted, Tacoma was not a good location, but hey, they bid for the game!

But it is a no-brainer that having at least one team with-in driving distance would boost attendance.

Chatty is great for the game, no need to move.

89Hen
May 14th, 2007, 06:14 PM
You have to remember that the mid 80's wasthe infancy of I-AA.
I still say it had a lot more to do with where and who than the infancy of I-AA. Perhaps I-AA wasn't as popular because the NC was so poorly attended. xeyebrowx

1983: Southern Ill. vs. Western Carolina in Charleston, S.C. - 15,950
1989: Ga. Southern vs. Stephen F. Austin in Statesboro, Ga. - 25,725

Grabholdofyosef
May 14th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Teams have been trying for years to do that but havent had much success : )

PantherRob82
May 15th, 2007, 12:01 AM
Teams have been trying for years to do that but havent had much success : )

Trying to do what?

Mr. C
May 15th, 2007, 12:28 AM
"When Justin (Sell) did the
presentation for the Division I-AA football playoffs, he did it against
Chattanooga and their sports commission and San Antonio and their
sports commission," said Panther athletics director Rich Hartzell, "And
it was us, just UNI. That's part of what happened. We have to have some
more help if we are going to make these things happen."<br><br>Needless to say, UNI didn't land the football finals.<br><br>"That's the main reason we lost," said Sell. "It was not the facilities."

http://www.wcfcourier.com/articles/2005/01/25/sports/local/doc41f6754882f6e656846693.txt

Interesting article from a couple of years ago regarding the UNI bid to get the NC game. San Antonio and Chatty were the other cities vying for the game.

I'm not 100% sure UNI is the best place to host the game. The UNI-Dome seats 16,000, and if a Gateway team was playing, tickets would be tough to come by. Conversely, If no teams of local interest were involved, the place might be pretty empty. Also, Cedar Falls is a long ways from a lot of places.

I had fun in Chatty in 2005. A good experience, overall. It was a 13 hour drive, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat!!
UNI AD Rick Hartzell seems pretty clueless in several regards. First off, his comment about fearing that a Montana-Hofstra championship game would draw 2,000 fans. That is ridiculous. Montana has always brought a lot of fans to the championship games in Huntington, W.V. and Chattanooga, Tenn. Also, there are a lot of other non-money concerns with having the game in Cedar Falls (no offense to UNI and its facilities). If the championship continues to grow in Chattanooga, a 16,000-seat facility is not going to cut it. Also, unless a Gateway team is involved, the chances are strong that you are going to be a long way away from at least one of the two teams in the final. To be quite honest, San Antonio and Cedar Falls really were not seen at the time by most involved in the process to be serious candidates anyway.

PantherRob82
May 15th, 2007, 01:48 AM
UNI AD Rick Hartzell seems pretty clueless in several regards. First off, his comment about fearing that a Montana-Hofstra championship game would draw 2,000 fans. That is ridiculous. Montana has always brought a lot of fans to the championship games in Huntington, W.V. and Chattanooga, Tenn. Also, there are a lot of other non-money concerns with having the game in Cedar Falls (no offense to UNI and its facilities). If the championship continues to grow in Chattanooga, a 16,000-seat facility is not going to cut it. Also, unless a Gateway team is involved, the chances are strong that you are going to be a long way away from at least one of the two teams in the final. To be quite honest, San Antonio and Cedar Falls really were not seen at the time by most involved in the process to be serious candidates anyway.

Remember that this is old..we wouldn't be bidding at this rate.

lizrdgizrd
May 15th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Remember that this is old..we wouldn't be bidding at this rate.
I just don't see Cedar Falls as likely to get the NC game. Cedar Falls' average temp range in December is 33-13 while average temp range in Chatty is 53-33. The UNI dome seats 16K while Finley seats 20K in permanent seats (doesn't include temporary bleachers). These are difficult facts to ignore when planning an event of this type. People want to be able to get to and from the game easily but also want to enjoy events leading up to the game. That's a lot easier at 50 degrees than 30 degrees.

Besides, it's important to have it near the SoCon schools since one of us is almost always in it. xsmiley_wix

henfan
May 15th, 2007, 08:52 AM
While San Antonio made a presentation to the NCAA, I'm told they did not place a bid. The only bids received were from Cedar Falls & Chattanooga.

This thread is moot until/unless another city can place a bid as competitive as Chattanooga's.

PantherRob82
May 15th, 2007, 09:23 AM
I just don't see Cedar Falls as likely to get the NC game. Cedar Falls' average temp range in December is 33-13 while average temp range in Chatty is 53-33. The UNI dome seats 16K while Finley seats 20K in permanent seats (doesn't include temporary bleachers). These are difficult facts to ignore when planning an event of this type. People want to be able to get to and from the game easily but also want to enjoy events leading up to the game. That's a lot easier at 50 degrees than 30 degrees.

Besides, it's important to have it near the SoCon schools since one of us is almost always in it. xsmiley_wix

Did you read my post? I said that the artice was old and we wouldn't be bidding again at this rate. xrolleyesx

PantherRob82
May 15th, 2007, 09:24 AM
While San Antonio made a presentation to the NCAA, I'm told they did not place a bid. The only bids received were from Cedar Falls & Chattanooga.

This thread is moot until/unless another city can place a bid as competitive as Chattanooga's.

That will never ever stop the thread from popping up at least twice a year.

lizrdgizrd
May 15th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Did you read my post? I said that the artice was old and we wouldn't be bidding again at this rate. xrolleyesx

I thought you meant that your bid would be higher not that you are unlikely to bid in the future. xrolleyesx

HIU 93
May 15th, 2007, 09:31 AM

The old Charlotte War Memorial Auditorium (Charlotte) or Morris Brown's Stadium (Atlanta).

Both are world-class cities that are capable of and used to hosting large events.

lizrdgizrd
May 15th, 2007, 09:40 AM
The old Charlotte War Memorial Auditorium (Charlotte) or Morris Brown's Stadium (Atlanta).

Both are world-class cities that are capable of and used to hosting large events.

I wonder if we could fill BOFA Stadium in Charlotte if we had a day full of NC games. DIII in the morning, DII in the early afternoon and DI in early evening all on one day in one place. Surely we could fill it 2/3 full? :o

HIU 93
May 15th, 2007, 09:49 AM
I wonder if we could fill BOFA Stadium in Charlotte if we had a day full of NC games. DIII in the morning, DII in the early afternoon and DI in early evening all on one day in one place. Surely we could fill it 2/3 full? :o

I don't think we could fill BOFA.

lizrdgizrd
May 15th, 2007, 10:08 AM

I'm sure we couldn't fill it, but at 2/3 it'd look good on camera as long as they stayed away from the cheap seats. xnodx

89Hen
May 15th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Call me short sighted or a pessimist, but I bolded the part that stands out to me. IMO you need an area that will support that specific sport/division. How popular is lacrosse in the country? Most good teams average 2-3k for home games. The NCAA tourney final four is being held in Baltimore again this year and they will have 60,000 in attendance. That's because lax is huge around here. I-AA football is not huge in Atlanta or Charlotte and there is a lot of other big things that they'd rather promote... Peach Bowl, SEC Champ, Tire Bowl (or whatever it's called now), Final Four bball, etc...

SunCoastBlueHen
May 15th, 2007, 11:33 AM
That will never ever stop the thread from popping up at least twice a year.

Yeah, it must be May. :p

Keep the game in Chatty! By most accounts, it sounds to me like the town has done more than an adequate job of playing host. xthumbsupx

I also agree that attendance figures will always be driven by who is in the title game and their proximity to the host location. There will never be enough people who will travel to see someone other than their home team to make a material difference - no matter what or how much the location has to offer.

trouthunter
May 15th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Being a griz fan, I have had the opportunity to travel to 'Nooga twice. The first year was wonderful because we won, and the 65 degree temperature was much better than the 17 degrees we left at home in Montana. The BBQ was excellent and people are great, but the "mountains" were a little small.

During the second trip, when we lost to James Madison--AKA the SOD BOWL of '04--the field was absolutely terrible. During warm-ups players were stomping turf back into the dirt.

We were sitting in the first row on the 40 yard line, and we could see Coach Hauck tell the special teams unit that, "We have to fake it, he can't get his footing in this crap" when they had a 4th down in field yard distance.

I guess the folks at Finley Stadium must done some work to the field, because it looked good last year.

Maverick
May 15th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Until someone puts in a better bid the next time the bid comes around, it will stay in Chatty. For those other with "better" places for the game, you need to get you a committee from that city to put in a bid. Everything else is so much sound and fury signifying nothing. How about someone finding out when the current contract with Chattanooga ends and when the next time to place a bid for the game is scheduled. As to the scheduling of the game, it was decided that Friday night was best as it was the time with the least conflict. It avoids competition with the NFL and NCAA basketball which begins to pick up its scheduling in late November/very early December.

Mr. C
May 15th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Being a griz fan, I have had the opportunity to travel to 'Nooga twice. The first year was wonderful because we won, and the 65 degree temperature was much better than the 17 degrees we left at home in Montana. The BBQ was excellent and people are great, but the "mountains" were a little small.

During the second trip, when we lost to James Madison--AKA the SOD BOWL of '04--the field was absolutely terrible. During warm-ups players were stomping turf back into the dirt.

We were sitting in the first row on the 40 yard line, and we could see Coach Hauck tell the special teams unit that, "We have to fake it, he can't get his footing in this crap" when they had a 4th down in field yard distance.

I guess the folks at Finley Stadium must done some work to the field, because it looked good last year.
As has been discussed many times around here, the problems with the field were the NCAA's fault in 2004. I attended a game there during the 2004 regular season (right around Nov. 1) and it had some sandy patches and didn't look great, but it was totally playable. Being a public facility, the turf had been a bit over-used that season. The NCAA, being as image conscious as it is, decided to resod the grass at the end of UTC's regular season. Unfortunately, they used bermuda, which naturally goes dormant in the winter (anybody who has ever had a bermuda lawn KNOWS this). So, of course, the grass didn't take root when it was planted a month before and it fell apart in the championship game. The plans were already in place to switch to field turf the next year (the turf went down in May-June of 2005). But then the NCAA let the Chattanooga committee take all of the blame for the incident (Dennis Poppe's behavior on this was absolutely deplorable). The NCAA just threw Chattanooga under the bus. The field turf has been great the past two years.

Mr. C
May 15th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Hey, sometimes the Carolina Panthers can't even fill that place.

PantherRob82
May 15th, 2007, 02:36 PM
The NCAA just threw Chattanooga under the bus. The field turf has been great the past two years.

The field turf was great. Wish we had some nicer turf in the dome.

jmuroller
May 15th, 2007, 06:24 PM
So a 15-20% increase just by moving days. Not bad IMO.

Yeah, but you would be losing about 3-400k viewers on TV because the game wouldn't be on primetime TV.

AppMan
May 15th, 2007, 06:36 PM
The city of Chattanooga will be in for some serious competition once The Citadel gets Johnson Haygood finished. Charleston is a great destination city with lots of night life.

igo4uni
May 15th, 2007, 10:28 PM
The field turf was great. Wish we had some nicer turf in the dome.

it'll happen.

henfan
May 16th, 2007, 11:09 AM
xthumbsupx
The city of Chattanooga will be in for some serious competition once The Citadel gets Johnson Haygood finished.

Though Charleston would be a great place to hold the gamexnodx , they'd still have to: a) be interested in hosting and b) put up a competitive bid. Chattanooga's done a great job but a little serious competition from Chucktown couldn't hurt.

89Hen
May 16th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Is the NCAA still upholding the NAACP extortion, er I mean ban?

henfan
May 16th, 2007, 12:41 PM

Ah, good point! I completely forgot about that.

Chucktown would have additional legislative hoops to jump through in their own state before they could clear way for a potential bid. The NCAA post-season ban remains in SC.

SoCon48
May 16th, 2007, 12:56 PM

If we made it part of Black Biker Weekend at Myrtle Beach it would still be a go. That isn't part of the NAACP's ban..

HIU 93
May 16th, 2007, 01:54 PM
If we made it part of Black Biker Weekend at Myrtle Beach it would still be a go. That isn't part of the NAACP's ban..

How is the NAACP going to "ban" anyone from doing anything in SC? The NAACP has an official stance that the ORGANIZATION boycotts the state of SC. The NAACP is a private organization. It is not a governmental organization and does not have any legal power to "ban" any other organization from doing anything.

HIU 93
May 16th, 2007, 01:55 PM

How is the NAACP, a private organization, going to "ban" any other organization from doing anything? I thought you were smarter than that.

89Hen
May 16th, 2007, 02:09 PM
How is the NAACP, a private organization, going to "ban" any other organization from doing anything? I thought you were smarter than that.
You're right, I should have left off the last four words of my post.

gvilleapp
May 16th, 2007, 06:12 PM

Call it a ban or a boycott, the end result is the same when you have a bunch of politically correct, gutless wonders running the NCAA. No way they are going to cross the NAACP.

What a lot of people forget is that the SC legislative black caucus agreed to the flag being moved off the dome and moved to the confederate soldiers memorial on the state house grounds.

Charleston would be a great host city and has a large african-american population that benefits from tourism. As usual, the ban/boycott ends up hurting the very people that the NAACP claims to be fighting for.

PantherRob82
May 16th, 2007, 06:21 PM
it'll happen.

I know, but I want it now. ;)

GaSouthern
May 16th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Call it a ban or a boycott, the end result is the same when you have a bunch of politically correct, gutless wonders running the NCAA. No way they are going to cross the NAACP.

What a lot of people forget is that the SC legislative black caucus agreed to the flag being moved off the dome and moved to the confederate soldiers memorial on the state house grounds.

Charleston would be a great host city and has a large african-american population that benefits from tourism. As usual, the ban/boycott ends up hurting the very people that the NAACP claims to be fighting for.

FINALLY, someone speaketh the truth!

igo4uni
May 16th, 2007, 09:16 PM
I know, but I want it now. ;)

Patience, my young AGS apprentice, patience.xcoolx xcoolx

AppMan
May 19th, 2007, 09:00 AM

I believe Jackson, Sharpton and the rest of the NAACP extortionists finally called off their attempt to fleece the good people of South Carolina. When you consider Black Biker Week has been continually held in Myrtle Beach without a hint of it being called off, they finally figured out people weren't buying it. That is except for the jelly spine people at the NCAA.

Pards Rule
May 19th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Hey, there is a nice new renovated stadium in Easton, PA that could be made to hold 20,000.. :)

SU Jag
May 22nd, 2007, 02:38 PM
Call me short sighted or a pessimist, but I bolded the part that stands out to me. IMO you need an area that will support that specific sport/division. How popular is lacrosse in the country? Most good teams average 2-3k for home games. The NCAA tourney final four is being held in Baltimore again this year and they will have 60,000 in attendance. That's because lax is huge around here. I-AA football is not huge in Atlanta or Charlotte and there is a lot of other big things that they'd rather promote... Peach Bowl, SEC Champ, Tire Bowl (or whatever it's called now), Final Four bball, etc...

Atlanta is home to one of the biggest games in FCS!

henfan
May 22nd, 2007, 03:04 PM
Atlanta is home to one of the biggest games in FCS!

Unfortunately for the NCAA, the crowd pictured is attracted to that game because of the schools involved, not the fact that they are FCS. Comparing an HBCU Classic to the FCS Championship Game is not an apt comparison on so many levels.

Atlanta apparently isn't interested in bidding for the FCS Championship Game either. End of story.

SU Jag
May 22nd, 2007, 03:28 PM
Unfortunately for the NCAA, the crowd pictured is attracted to that game because of the schools involved, not the fact that they are FCS. Comparing an HBCU Classic to the FCS Championship Game is not an apt comparison on so many levels.

Atlanta apparently isn't interested in bidding for the FCS Championship Game either. End of story.

If thats the case, shouldnt't Chatty keep the title game?

89Hen
May 22nd, 2007, 03:47 PM
xnodx xthumbsupx

appfan2008
May 22nd, 2007, 05:41 PM

it works for me xnodx

igo4uni
May 22nd, 2007, 09:43 PM

Sure.........I had fun in Chatty!

74AppState
May 22nd, 2007, 10:17 PM
Chattanooga has made great strides in hosting the event. The City is within a 500 mile radius --a days drive-- from half of the US population. I hope ASU is in the game again this December--but if not I still plan to attend. I was very impressed with the UNI and UMass attendance the past 2 games-especially with the extremely short time to make travel arrangements. It would be a great asset if the NCAA or Chatt could make some arrangements with an airline to be a parnter and offer groups rates ahtough I know that is a tall order.