PDA

View Full Version : Ryan McCarthy Officially Named CCSU Head Coach

aceinthehole
October 16th, 2019, 06:02 PM
Central Connecticut State University Director of Athletics Brian Barrio has named Ryan McCarthy as the 14th head coach of the CCSU football program. McCarthy, who was named the interim head coach prior to the season, has guided the Blue Devils to a 5-1 record and a No. 25 ranking the STATS FCS Top 25 Poll to begin the 2019 season. As of Oct. 16, the interim tag has been removed.

A reception to officially make the announcement, along with a short speaking program, will be held in the Kaiser Hall lobby on Thursday, Oct. 17 at 3:30 p.m.

"It makes me very proud to announce Ryan McCarthy as the head coach of CCSU football," Barrio said. "Ryan is a respected coach and the team has flourished under his leadership this year. We look forward to the Blue Devils' continued success under his leadership."

McCarthy was named Interim Head Coach in the spring of 2019 after serving as offensive coordinator for the previous four seasons on the Blue Devils' staff. He has guided Central to a 5-1 start for the first time since 2009 and the program has earned a Top-25 ranking for the first time since 2006. McCarthy and the Blue Devils opened the season with three straight wins for just the second time since 1973, while boasting a defense that ranks second nationally in interceptions (11) and a team that is the Northeast Conference leader in both total offense and total defense.

"It is a great honor to be named the head coach at Central Connecticut State University," McCarthy said. "I want to thank President Toro and Brian Barrio for giving me the opportunity to lead our program. We have an outstanding group of student-athletes and coaches here and I look forward to leading this group as we compete for Northeast Conference championships and NCAA playoff berths. We have shown that we can be successful here and I look forward to helping CCSU football reach even greater heights."

McCarthy was named Interim Head Coach in the spring of 2019 after serving as offensive coordinator for the previous four seasons on the Blue Devils' staff. He has guided Central to a 5-1 start for the first time since 2009 and the program has earned a Top-25 ranking for the first time since 2006. McCarthy and the Blue Devils opened the season with three straight wins for just the second time since 1973, while boasting a defense that ranks second nationally in interceptions (11) and a team that is the Northeast Conference leader in both total offense and total defense.

Read the full release:
http://ccsubluedevils.com/sports/fball/2019-20/releases/20191016h2ivdc

RichH2
October 17th, 2019, 10:12 AM
Ace. Seems like a no brainer.What took so long. Was there a search for an outside HC?

aceinthehole
October 17th, 2019, 11:50 AM
Ace. Seems like a no brainer.What took so long. Was there a search for an outside HC?

State human resource policies and collective bargaining requirements ... yes, it had to be opened, but I don't think they looked very hard outside. It was likely "expedited" based on his success this season.

aceinthehole
October 17th, 2019, 06:25 PM
https://www.courant.com/sports/college/hc-sp-college-football-ccsu-ryan-mccarthy-20191018-20191017-f4tpupnidnblflsa5tf3pjdb64-story.html

The red tape at a state institution caused the 10-month delay in naming McCarthy, but AD Brian Barrio was committed within hours of Rossomando’s departure.

“It’s been in the works for an amount of time you wouldn’t believe if I told you,” Barrio said, “that’s just a function of the hiring requirements here, it’s not negotiable that we go through the whole process. [McCarthy’s] my guy. Six hours from when Pete left, Ryan was in the spot. I have all the faith in the world in him. He’s a Central kind of guy, he’s my kind of guy.”

RichH2
October 17th, 2019, 06:57 PM
Thanks.

ngineer
October 18th, 2019, 12:01 PM
State human resource policies and collective bargaining requirements ... yes, it had to be opened, but I don't think they looked very hard outside. It was likely "expedited" based on his success this season.

Yes, that is typically the issue. We have had the same problems filling spots when coaching vacancies occur because the jobs have to be posted, and once candidates have applied, HR gets involved. Looks like CCSU has made a good decision.

CenMEBlackBearFan
October 18th, 2019, 01:31 PM

I don't begin to say I have knowledge of collective bargaining requirements but UMaine lost their HC, Harasymiak to Minnesota, and most fans thought the university would have to open the position but the AD chose the OC in a matter of days. It was right in the middle of recruiting and Maine looked to have one of their strongest recruiting classes as well as a ton of returning players and all was good at the time. But losing the DC to JMU and another defensive coach maybe was too much of a hit as we stand at 2-4 after starting the season #5 in the country.
Bottom line state schools seem to be able to hire quickly when needed. If McCarthy had said he had another offer at the time I betcha he may have gotten the position right then, glad for you guys it all worked. My son played a couple of years at CCSU and always liked to see you do well.