PDA

View Full Version : Police say McNair involved in DUI arrest as passenger

dbackjon
May 10th, 2007, 04:20 PM
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070510/NEWS03/70510006

Former Titans and Alcorn State quarterback Steve McNair and a man identified as his brother-in-law were arrested in Nashville early this morning on DUI charges.

McNair was a passenger in his vehicle being driven by Jamie Cartwright, Capt. Richard Foley said. Officer Harold Taylor stopped the vehicle, a Dodge pickup, after clocking it at 44 mph in a 30 mph zone on Hillsboro Road near Abbott-Martin Road around midnight, Foley said.

PantherRob82
May 10th, 2007, 06:54 PM
The story I heard was that he owned the vehicle. Didn't know he was actually in it. xeekx

appfan2008
May 10th, 2007, 07:11 PM
how do you get arrested from the passanger seat???

Mr. C
May 10th, 2007, 07:45 PM
I'm normally for strong DWI laws, but I have to ask too, how do you get arrested as a passenger?

Mr. C
May 10th, 2007, 07:50 PM
The story explained something about an owner-operator law. For our legal friends out there has such a law passed the test of constitutionality? Is this something that would stand if it is challenged?

appfan2008
May 10th, 2007, 07:57 PM
that is stupid... if you own a car and and get drunk and have a friend drive you home i dont think you can get arrested for that! IMO

dbackjon
May 10th, 2007, 08:02 PM
that is stupid... if you own a car and and get drunk and have a friend drive you home i dont think you can get arrested for that! IMO

If the driver is drunk as well...

Mr. C
May 10th, 2007, 08:06 PM
I have a friend who was arrested for DWI in Tennessee even though the guy doesn't drink (I can say this with absolute certainty, having been around him in numerous social settings). He got nervous and was literally shaking when the STUPID state trooper did the field sobriety test and this IDIOT failed the guy. There was no other evidence on the scene that suggested drinking. The trooper didn't even have probable cause for a traffic stop. Tennessee is backed up for months with blood testing and this has backed up this poor guy's case for some time (the blood test will exonerate the fellow). Makes you wonder if Tennessee is being a little too vigilent on this particular crime.

Appstate29
May 10th, 2007, 11:23 PM
The story explained something about an owner-operator law. For our legal friends out there has such a law passed the test of constitutionality? Is this something that would stand if it is challenged?

its a state law, not a federal one, and states have a lot of lee-way in the DWI area.

Blueandwhitefightfight
May 10th, 2007, 11:45 PM

You can't, unless the friend is drunk too. I don't know if the law states that if a drunk person is driving your car, you're guilty. Or if a drunk person is driving your car and your in it, you're guilty.

Either way, the dude is screwed.

patssle
May 10th, 2007, 11:45 PM
even if McNair was sober, he should be charged for letting a drunk person drive the car he is in. thats unacceptable.

ucdtim17
May 10th, 2007, 11:47 PM
I've never heard of this - I'll think twice about letting friends drive my car in the future if I'm too drunk and I know they've been drinking as well

HIU 93
May 11th, 2007, 07:25 AM
even if McNair was sober, he should be charged for letting a drunk person drive the car he is in. thats unacceptable.

If he didn't do a breathylyzer or blood test, how would he know?

Col Hogan
May 11th, 2007, 07:31 AM
I say anyone driving drunk should have the book thrown at them...with all the might of the law possible.

But, if you have been drinking, and are not able to make clear decisions, how can you be held responsible for SOMONE ELSE driving drunk? Seems to be a Catch 22 type situation...damned if you do, damned if you don't...

ucdtim17
May 11th, 2007, 01:53 PM
If he didn't do a breathylyzer or blood test, how would he know?

His car, his responsibility.

aust42
May 14th, 2007, 09:40 PM
NJ passed a similar law a couple years ago. My brother was arrested for letting his friend drive his truck home from the bar. They both were charged with DWI. It never held up in court and McNair's won't either. Per my attorney friend it is another example of some "liberal politician's passing a$$ine laws to make it look like their being tough on drinking and driving."

MarkCCU
May 15th, 2007, 10:22 AM
NJ passed a similar law a couple years ago. My brother was arrested for letting his friend drive his truck home from the bar. They both were charged with DWI. It never held up in court and McNair's won't either. Per my attorney friend it is another example of some "liberal politician's passing a$$ine laws to make it look like their being tough on drinking and driving."

Why the $$'s in assine?

lizrdgizrd
May 15th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Why the $$'s in assine?

court costs = revenue for the gubmint. xnodx