PDA

View Full Version : Nicholls @ SHSU - Week 8

Daytripper
October 15th, 2019, 06:33 AM
Nicholls is a top 10 FCS team looking to secure a seed in the playoffs. Sam Houston is simply bipolar as a team. They need to win out to have a shot at the playoffs.

McCowboys
October 15th, 2019, 07:17 AM
Nicholls is a top 10 FCS team looking to secure a seed in the playoffs. Sam Houston is simply bipolar as a team. They need to win out to have a shot at the playoffs.

I am still mulling this over. Sam seems to have some problems, but they are at home. KC does not take to losing kindly. It is not often the Bearkats lose two games in a row. If the offense is struggling like against Lamar, can the defense hold down Fourcade and the Nicholls offense. Nicholls gave up lots of points to Northwestern, and the Demons made it a game right at the end.

Daytripper
October 15th, 2019, 07:52 AM
I am still mulling this over. Sam seems to have some problems, but they are at home. KC does not take to losing kindly. It is not often the Bearkats lose two games in a row. If the offense is struggling like against Lamar, can the defense hold down Fourcade and the Nicholls offense. Nicholls gave up lots of points to Northwestern, and the Demons made it a game right at the end.

It will be interesting to see if the Bearkats can get something going offensively. I think the defense can hold Nicholls in check enough to win, but if that offense that showed up against Lamar is what we bring, we're f***ed.

katss07
October 15th, 2019, 09:00 AM
I think Nicholls runs away with this if Brock is thrown out there again. Ty has been pitiful in the past two games. Doesn’t help that coaching doesn’t know how to adjust from QB to QB. Play calling has been terrible and I don’t see it getting much better. Brock can’t deliver a ball for his life these days, inaccuracy is just half the problem though. He stares down one player most of the time.

Sam is lucky the defense is so good this year. Otherwise the Kats might’ve been a 3 win team.

BEAR
October 15th, 2019, 09:28 AM
If Nicholls played like they did against us then this one won't be close. I predict a two touchdown win for the Colonels at least. Prove me wrong Bearkats!

SHSU has to travel to Conway next so these two games are vital for playoff hopes. NWST and HBU follow those two games. I don't see the Bearkats having a problem with NWST but maybe HBU will outscore them but not out play them. Close one there.

Tough road for SHSU in the SLC to finish up the season with 3 losses overall already. One more and the BEST SHSU can do is 8-4.

What they have going for them:

Win in dominant fashion over a team in UIW that is making some noise now.
*maybe future wins over Nicholls and UCA??????

That may be the extent of their PLUSES for an 8-4 record for the committee.

Honestly I think the Bearkats have to win 3 of the last 5 but both of the UCA and Nicholls games for a strong resume otherwise you're living off just a UIW (4-2) , McNeese (3-4), SFA (1-5), NWST (0-6), ACU (3-4) and maybe HBU (4-3) resume.

Daytripper
October 15th, 2019, 12:11 PM
If Nicholls played like they did against us then this one won't be close. I predict a two touchdown win for the Colonels at least. Prove me wrong Bearkats!

SHSU has to travel to Conway next so these two games are vital for playoff hopes. NWST and HBU follow those two games. I don't see the Bearkats having a problem with NWST but maybe HBU will outscore them but not out play them. Close one there.

Tough road for SHSU in the SLC to finish up the season with 3 losses overall already. One more and the BEST SHSU can do is 8-4.

What they have going for them:

Win in dominant fashion over a team in UIW that is making some noise now.
*maybe future wins over Nicholls and UCA??????

That may be the extent of their PLUSES for an 8-4 record for the committee.

Honestly I think the Bearkats have to win 3 of the last 5 but both of the UCA and Nicholls games for a strong resume otherwise you're living off just a UIW (4-2) , McNeese (3-4), SFA (1-5), NWST (0-6), ACU (3-4) and maybe HBU (4-3) resume.

Bottom line is we have to win out to make the playoffs. If we can squeak past Nicholls, we have a shot. And while I agree that Nicholls should run away with this, the Southland experience this year tells me nothing is a given. Absolutely nothing. This has been the most unpredictable Southland season I can remember.

McNeese75
October 15th, 2019, 01:34 PM
It's easy. Stop Fourcade.

Hood
October 15th, 2019, 08:21 PM
I'm noticing a trend where if the Colonels offense gets socked in the mouth early, they have a hard time recovering.

ngineer
October 16th, 2019, 10:47 AM
This can be a real statement game for Nicholls, for me. I've been 'curious' about them all season, having no real familiarity. SHSU has been a 'name' over the past few years and beating them handily, will show how elite Nicholls has become.

BEAR
October 16th, 2019, 11:07 AM
This can be a real statement game for Nicholls, for me. I've been 'curious' about them all season, having no real familiarity. SHSU has been a 'name' over the past few years and beating them handily, will show how elite Nicholls has become.

Elite. xlolx They've played well this year but they're not elite. Too many games left to decide that. xlolx

Derby City Duke
October 16th, 2019, 11:13 AM
I think Nicholls wins this one. Believe it will be close, but not sure the home field is enough to get SHSU over the hump.

Daytripper
October 16th, 2019, 03:29 PM

We haven't been elite for a while.

McNeese72
October 16th, 2019, 03:37 PM
Elite. xlolx They've played well this year but they're not elite. Too many games left to decide that. xlolx

I don't think I would consider them elite either.

Edit: The only team that they have beaten that was decent was UCA and I think UCA had a bad day against them.

Doc

BEAR
October 16th, 2019, 06:42 PM
I don't think I would consider them elite either.

Edit: The only team that they have beaten that was decent was UCA and I think UCA had a bad day against them.

Doc

Yeah that was the last game coaches stuck with the former game plan. Plus Hawaii two weeks before and a bye week. Nicholls outplayed and outcoached us. Simple. They are decent this year but not elite.

katss07
October 19th, 2019, 03:27 PM
Anyone know how to kick a football?

BEAR
October 19th, 2019, 03:37 PM
How many points do you want to leave on the field against the #9 team in the country Bearkats?

F'N Hawks
October 19th, 2019, 03:59 PM
How many points do you want to leave on the field against the #9 team in the country Bearkats?
Probably have to question that whole #9 team in the country part. They look very average.

katss07
October 19th, 2019, 04:15 PM
Probably have to question that whole #9 team in the country part. They look very average.
Agree. Nicholls is good. But I think 9 might be pushing it. They’re finally in the redzone with 6 left in the third quarter. That says something about the SHSU defense, but it also says something about Nicholls.

katss07
October 19th, 2019, 04:32 PM
I’ll tell you what, Sam has some serious athleticism at receiver. If the Kats can pull this one out, that would be a huge win, especially after the Lamar debacle. I have to give some credit to KC and Carty for getting creative this week. That trick play was nice.

The defense has been all we could’ve hoped for and more today.

BEAR
October 19th, 2019, 04:58 PM
I’ll tell you what, Sam has some serious athleticism at receiver. If the Kats can pull this one out, that would be a huge win, especially after the Lamar debacle. I have to give some credit to KC and Carty for getting creative this week. That trick play was nice.

The defense has been all we could’ve hoped for and more today.

Cant wait to see the SHSU v UCA matchup next week. Will be a good game in Conway.

Katfan
October 19th, 2019, 06:35 PM
Cant wait to see the SHSU v UCA matchup next week. Will be a good game in Conway.
Not for UCA

BEAR
October 19th, 2019, 06:58 PM
Not for UCA

xlolx
Yeah. We've kinda disappeared tonight. xbawlingx

Derby City Duke
October 19th, 2019, 07:01 PM
Congrats to the Bearkats. Thought Nicholls would put out a better effort. I thought wrong.

katss07
October 19th, 2019, 07:24 PM
Congrats to the Bearkats. Thought Nicholls would put out a better effort. I thought wrong.
I think most of us would agree, we all expected more out of Nicholls.

Did anyone else think Fourcade’s body language was bad?

Daytripper
October 19th, 2019, 07:28 PM

I was at the game and Fourcade was getting hammered by blitzes. He was frustrated and whined a lot to the refs. By the third quarter we were in his head. All of this talk about Nicholls effort is interesting. Typical when Sam wins a game it's never a great effort by the Bearkats (their defense!) but always a poor effort by the opponent.

caribbeanhen
October 19th, 2019, 08:19 PM
Sammy playing some D!

Daytripper
October 19th, 2019, 08:22 PM
Sammy playing some D!

I think this defense is better than the 2011 defense, which is considered the best we've had.

Outsider1
October 19th, 2019, 08:25 PM
Congrats Bearkats. Good win.

katss07
October 19th, 2019, 08:30 PM
Congrats Bearkats. Good win.
Thanks, and congrats to you guys on the close win over the Lumberjacks!

Daytripper
October 19th, 2019, 08:39 PM
Thanks, and congrats to you guys on the close win over the Lumberjacks!

Yes. Congrats ACU on beating SFA. I'm calling my shot now...SFA will have a winning record next year and compete for an SLC championship in two years..

Outsider1
October 19th, 2019, 08:45 PM
Yes. Congrats ACU on beating SFA. I'm calling my shot now...SFA will have a winning record next year and compete for an SLC championship in two years..

They are MUCH better than their record indicates. As disappointed as I am with some of our play, I give them A LOT of credit.

Serpentor
October 19th, 2019, 08:47 PM
I see our offense on the field and I want to cry when I know how hard the defense is working.

Still, a great effort by the Bearkats today.

Katfan
October 19th, 2019, 08:49 PM
They did our D is just that good!

Katfan
October 19th, 2019, 08:51 PM

Fourcade is a crybaby. I have never seen a qb go to the ref as much as him. If you don’t want to get hit don’t run the ball!

Serpentor
October 19th, 2019, 08:52 PM
Fourcade is a crybaby. I have never seen a qb go to the ref as much as him. If you don’t want to get hit don’t run the ball!

I agree he's a bit of a prima donna, didn't want to see him get knocked out of the game though.

Katfan
October 19th, 2019, 08:53 PM
Sammy playing some D!
Our D is legit unfortunately without Schmid at qb out offense is an adventure each week

Outsider1
October 19th, 2019, 08:59 PM
We found out last year that the key to beating Nicholls is pressuring Fourcade. I am hoping we can do it again on their field this year like we did in Abilene last year. Strange things just happen in the swamp.

McCowboys
October 20th, 2019, 07:01 AM
I expected the Bearkats to win because I just had a feeling KC would not let his team lose two in a row and especially not two in a row at home. Still, I was expecting a score like 33-30 or the like. Sam pitching a shut out? Against Nicholls and Fourcade? The SLC world has gone crazy! The "new" Bearkats remind me of some of the Sam defensive teams back in the '80's and 90's and some of McNeese's stalwart defensive teams of the past.

POD Knows
October 20th, 2019, 09:36 AM
They did our D is just that good!You lost to UND and now you beat a top 10 team, now what am I supposed to do with you. You were dead to me a few weeks back and now I might have to put you back in the top 25. xrotatehx

Daytripper
October 20th, 2019, 09:59 AM
You lost to UND and now you beat a top 10 team, now what am I supposed to do with you. You were dead to me a few weeks back and now I might have to put you back in the top 25. xrotatehx

https://media.giphy.com/media/5XqGhjDB48YqA/giphy.gif

Daytripper
October 20th, 2019, 10:00 AM
You lost to UND and now you beat a top 10 team, now what am I supposed to do with you. You were dead to me a few weeks back and now I might have to put you back in the top 25. xrotatehx

We are 15 total points away from being undefeated. If we had consistent QB play, I think we would be 8-0.

POD Knows
October 20th, 2019, 11:10 AM
We are 15 total points away from being undefeated. If we had consistent QB play, I think we would be 8-0.You still lost to UND and the only thing I hate worse than UND is the teams that lose to UND. Anyway, I had you in my top 30 last week and I had Nichols at 9 (more by default than anything else) so now what does a guy do. I generally don't drop a team 16 spots in week but I might now. This is the toughest week for the poll in my opinion.

Katfan
October 20th, 2019, 11:22 AM
Depends on how the qb play goes week to week. Realistically we’re probably in the 20 - 30 range but if I was a team ranked in the 6 to 20 range I would not want to play us! Actually we were favored in this game by 5 dimes and Massey

Daytripper
October 20th, 2019, 11:35 AM
Depends on how the qb play goes week to week. Realistically we’re probably in the 20 - 30 range but if I was a team ranked in the 6 to 20 range I would not want to play us! Actually we were favored in this game by 5 dimes and Massey

The wise guys know.

Schism55
October 20th, 2019, 01:04 PM
Well played Bearkats! Congrats on the win xthumbsupx