PDA

View Full Version : Week 7 playoff prediction

Gangtackle11
October 13th, 2019, 06:08 PM
http://nobowls.com/

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/fcs-football/bracketology

katss07
October 13th, 2019, 06:12 PM
I get nobowls is an “if the season ended today” kind of bracket, but San Diego has been much more impressive than Drake.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 13th, 2019, 06:41 PM
UNH and Holy Cross played. HC won 13-10....

Round 2 would be interesting now that Santos has had time as a head coach. I picked the Crusaders the first time. I'd go with UNH this time around....

BEAR
October 13th, 2019, 06:41 PM
That second one has UCA and APSU playing in the first round. I don't think that will happen since they played during the regular season right? xeyebrowx

Professor Chaos
October 13th, 2019, 07:06 PM
That second one has UCA and APSU playing in the first round. I don't think that will happen since they played during the regular season right? xeyebrowx
I'm pretty sure the only restricted rematches are first round games with teams who played other in a regular season conference game. So if they want to they could match up UCA with APSU or Holy Cross with UNH in the first round (along with any other OOC rematch). I believe this exact scenario happened to Furman and Elon in the 2017 playoffs.

Professor Chaos
October 13th, 2019, 07:27 PM
Yea I'm pretty sure you are right. Look at how often the Rabbits get fed into NDSU. I see the No Bowls one has Montana State at Montana and Stoney Brook at JMU, assuming they win the first round.
Anything is fair game the 2nd round and beyond. I'm pretty sure a couple years back we had the potential for 6 of the 8 2nd round matchups to be rematches from the regular season either conference or otherwise.

grizband
October 13th, 2019, 11:04 PM
If Illinois State and Montana State are matched up against each other, I can't imagine the Cats being outbid to host the game.

that guy
October 14th, 2019, 06:19 AM
I like this no bowls bracket for one reason only- it sends furman to fargoxthumbsupx

PaladinNation
October 14th, 2019, 06:33 AM
I like this no bowls bracket for one reason only- it sends furman to fargoxthumbsupx

I do too… probably not for the same reasonsxeyebrowx

PaladinFan
October 14th, 2019, 06:48 AM

I dislike that bracket not so much for playing NDSU (to be the man, you gotta beat the man), but that if Furman were to survive the Bison they'd have to travel to Utah or Montana for round two. It's not a great benefit of being seeded if you have to potentially play a rival (whom you just played), then go to Fargo, and then go to the Mountain west. I'd rather just be unseeded.

The College Sports Madness bracket is a good deal more palatable. It would potentially give Furman shots at a "redemption tour" against James Madison and Kennesaw State.

cx500d
October 14th, 2019, 06:56 AM
It’s good to see New Hampshire back in the fight

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PaladinFan
October 14th, 2019, 06:58 AM
Interesting, too, that neither bracket seeds Kennesaw.

cx500d
October 14th, 2019, 06:59 AM

I know, you want to experience the entire Fargo tailgating scene, because the beat down won’t be fun for you. You can’t duck out in case of weather / blizzard either,, like Furman is prone to do.

PaladinFan
October 14th, 2019, 07:27 AM
I know, you want to experience the entire Fargo tailgating scene, because the beat down won’t be fun for you. You can’t duck out in case of weather / blizzard either,, like Furman is prone to do.

If you are going to troll, don't be so obvious about it.

Bison56
October 14th, 2019, 07:40 AM

I don't know if you were trying to be funny, but I cant stop laughing.xlolx

cx500d
October 14th, 2019, 07:45 AM

Was that obvious?

PaladinFan
October 14th, 2019, 07:46 AM
I don't know if you were trying to be funny, but I cant stop laughing.xlolx

I can be baited, but not that easily.

cx500d
October 14th, 2019, 07:57 AM
I can be baited, but not that easily.

I didn’t think it was that hard

Redbird 4th & short
October 14th, 2019, 08:02 AM
Nobowls has us hosting Montana St. I doubt we outbid Montana St. They draw 18.6k per game, we draw about 10k per game. Curious how Nobowls picks who hosts play in games.

Professor Chaos
October 14th, 2019, 08:24 AM
I didn’t think it was that hard

https://media.giphy.com/media/I9c0UVPXG0Pba/giphy.gif

Derby City Duke
October 14th, 2019, 08:33 AM
The nobowls bracket seems too unbalanced. 3 of 6 teams in the 3/6 seed pod are MVFC (60% of the MVFC teams) and 4 of 6 in the 2/7 seed pod are CAA (all the CAA teams in the bracket).

And I, too, think it would be a beatdown of Furman in the Fargodome in the quarters.

Gangtackle11
October 14th, 2019, 08:36 AM
The nobowls bracket seems too unbalanced. 3 of 6 teams in the 3/6 seed pod are MVFC (60% of the MVFC teams) and 4 of 6 in the 2/7 seed pod are CAA (all the CAA teams in the bracket).

And I, too, think it would be a beatdown of Furman in the Fargodome in the quarters.

Definitely don’t see the FCS committee putting all 4 CAA teams in the same pod, no less the same side of the bracket. Isn’t there a rule to prevent that after they jammed 4-5 MVFC teams on one side a few years ago? xpeacex

caribbeanhen
October 14th, 2019, 08:42 AM
Definitely don’t see the FCS committee putting all 4 CAA teams in the same pod, no less the same side of the bracket. Isn’t there a rule to prevent that after they jammed 4-5 MVFC teams on one side a few years ago? xpeacex

are 4 CAA teams even worthy?

Professor Chaos
October 14th, 2019, 08:51 AM
I believe the rule they instituted a few years ago was that they could add an extra plane flight if it meant they broke up a conference with 5 or more bids having all their teams on the same side of the bracket.

EDIT: I dug it up and the rule is 4 or more teams from the same conference can't be on the same side of the bracket even if it means adding an extra flight (link (https://wcfcourier.com/sports/college/uni/football/uni-football-playoffs-face-altered-flight-plan/article_785651dc-c428-5a79-9d0e-6d3a527f41a4.html)).

Also from that article is a policy I had forgotten existed and that was they should avoid a rematch from a regular season non-conference game in the 1st round unless it adds an additional flight. So that may mean those Holy Cross/UNH and UCA/Austin Peay first round matchups may not happen if there's other unseeded playoffs teams within a 400 mile radius of those teams that they didn't play in the regular season.

FUBeAR
October 14th, 2019, 08:58 AM
Was that obvious?

https://media.tenor.com/images/4a82e40ee756760f2c95403f9accfaaf/tenor.gif

CHIP72
October 14th, 2019, 11:32 AM
Semi OT: I could have some major college sports decisions come December 7th if Villanova finishes as a top 8 seed (and/or Temple wins the AAC and hosts the AAC title game). I was already planning to go to Philadelphia that day to attend a pair of college basketball games, La Salle/Drexel (2 PM ET start) and Missouri/Temple (7:30 PM ET start), and I haven’t ruled out attending the Holy War (Villanova/St. Joseph’s, 3 PM ET start) in place of La Salle/Drexel, though 1) the non-Big Five City Series game is planned as my Drexel game to attend this season (I’ll probably also see La Salle on 2/22 against George Washington, and will also see SJU and VU in DC when they play GW and Georgetown respectively) and 2) the seating at SJU’s Hagan Arena is horrible if you are 6’2” and aren’t sitting on an aisle (and rough even if you are sitting on aisle).

If Temple and/or Villanova host football games on 12/7, I may have to adjust my plans. The AAC championship game has generally been played at 12 PM ET in past years, though the start time has not been set this year. With a possible Villanova playoff game, I would guess VU would try to work with the NCAA so it doesn’t overlap with Villanova’s basketball game, even though the VU/SJU game is at St. Joe’s. If my guess ends up being the case, that means the VU playoff football game would start at 12 PM ET or (IMO more likely) 6 PM ET or later. Having Temple and/or Villanova host football games would create a plethora of game attendance options, though I might need to go to backup plans with Drexel and/or Temple basketball games later in the season. (Heck, I didn’t even mention the Cavaliers/76ers NBA game at 7:30 PM ET, which is also an option, or the Flyers NHL home game at 1 PM ET, which I wouldn’t attend but some people who follow Villanova football or any of the other teams I mentioned above might.)

Possible “decisions, decisions”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaladinFan
October 14th, 2019, 11:42 AM

Because you've seen Furman play a bunch this year, right?

PaladinFan
October 14th, 2019, 11:43 AM
are 4 CAA teams even worthy?

This is one of those seasons that makes me want the 16 team playoff back.

MSUBobcat
October 14th, 2019, 11:57 AM
If Illinois State and Montana State are matched up against each other, I can't imagine the Cats being outbid to host the game.

Agree 100%. There's very few teams that would outbid us, ever, and one that could would never be paired against us due to being a rematch of the Brawl the week before. NDSU and JMU are others that may​ outbid MSU, but they'll be seeds, so it's a moot point.

If the Madness bracket became a thing and they're going to make a habit of sending UIW to Bozeman, we should probably start making acquaintances with those making the trek....

FU_Paladin08
October 14th, 2019, 01:49 PM

NDSU has earned the right to say this about any team coming into the Fargodome. The Furman team that went up there in 2013 and played one half of football would get beat down by this 2019 Furman team.

That said, I’d prefer an East coast tour through JMU before meeting up with the Bison.

HootyHoo
October 14th, 2019, 02:18 PM

too bad the Bison wouldn't make it that far. The Bison will finally meet their destiny. Defeat at the hands(wings) of the Owls.

MSUBobcat
October 14th, 2019, 02:37 PM
too bad the Bison wouldn't make it that far. The Bison will finally meet their destiny. Defeat at the hands(wings) of the Owls.

xlolx I wasn't sure if you were joking on the Coaches' Poll thread, but it's clear now that you are indeed one hell of a comedian.

Redbird 4th & short
October 14th, 2019, 02:45 PM

It was an unprecedented all 5 teams on one side in 2015, the year after the all MVFC final in 2014 ... not that I was counting or mad or anything ... xnodx

Redbird 4th & short
October 14th, 2019, 02:54 PM
I missed your post first time around and had same question on page 2 of this thread ... you guys average 18k per game, we average 10k ... I doubt we outbid you. Makes me wonder what NoBowls based their game sites on ... I doubt we outrank you at this point, nor would we likely outbid you with those numbers. We do fine financially, but our AD is a budget hawk .. word to wise, he won't win any bidding war. He'll put up a number he knows our expected attendance (and board of regents) would support ... nothing more.

caa51
October 14th, 2019, 03:15 PM
UNH and Holy Cross played. HC won 13-10....

Round 2 would be interesting now that Santos has had time as a head coach. I picked the Crusaders the first time. I'd go with UNH this time around....

UNH is a completely different team right now. The Defense is playing lights out and the change at QB and a reshuffle of the OL after the Holy Cross game has made a huge difference in the offense. True Freshman QB Max Brosmer is getting better every week and is going to be a great one in the future, named CAA offensive rookie of the week for the second time after Saturday’s victory over a ranked Stonybrook team.

Bison56
October 14th, 2019, 05:32 PM

You do realize that there isnt any D2 teams in the playoffs right?

Derby City Duke
October 14th, 2019, 09:43 PM

Bless your heart.

cx500d
October 14th, 2019, 09:48 PM
NDSU has earned the right to say this about any team coming into the Fargodome. The Furman team that went up there in 2013 and played one half of football would get beat down by this 2019 Furman team.

That said, I’d prefer an East coast tour through JMU before meeting up with the Bison.

Well, if that happens, there’s always next year.

Redbird 4th & short
October 14th, 2019, 10:27 PM
You do realize that there isnt any D2 teams in the playoffs right?

nor NAIA ... so 2 wins over non D-I teams (a D-II and NAIA). As for the 3 FCS teams they've beaten to this point .. not exactly quality wins, the teams are ranked 76th, 87th, and 91st by Massey. So the one team they've played with a pulse is FBS Kent St ...their record is 3-3, but they are ranked 108 by Massey and 87th according to Massey Composite, and KSU lost by 3 to them.

Jut some very questionable OOC scheduling by a team in playoff contention the last 2 years.

Date

Opponent

Result
PF
PA

Sat 09-14

at
Alabama St (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=103&s=308075)

87(3-3)

W (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=930998286)

Sat 09-21

at
Missouri St (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=4970&s=308075)

76(1-4)

W (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=931000633)

Sat 10-12

Charleston So (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=1457&s=308075)

91(1-5)

W (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=930074521)

Redbird 4th & short
October 14th, 2019, 10:31 PM
Bless your heart.

wait, youre not even from the south ... so not sure if you mean it or not ???

https://i.imgflip.com/oplh1.jpg
(https://imgflip.com/i/oplh1)

Derby City Duke
October 15th, 2019, 08:05 AM
wait, youre not even from the south ... so not sure if you mean it or not ???

https://i.imgflip.com/oplh1.jpg
(https://imgflip.com/i/oplh1)

Born and raised in Richmond, VA -- where they still are fighting the Civil War, 154 years later -- think that probably qualifies as south...

Derby City Duke
October 15th, 2019, 08:08 AM

Nobody is on par with NDSU at this point other than...NDSU's 2nd unit. I don't know that JMU would stay within 10 points of the Bizon right now.

Redbird 4th & short
October 15th, 2019, 08:34 AM
Born and raised in Richmond, VA -- where they still are fighting the Civil War, 154 years later -- think that probably qualifies as south...

Oh right .. damn swing states throw me off every time. xconfusedx Forgot my history for a second there .... probably need to bless my little heart too xrotatehx

that guy
October 15th, 2019, 03:51 PM
well if you fly into Fargo rent a car and head west on I94 till you hit Jamestown take the first exit into Jamestown then follow the signs to the state hospital. They can help you with your delusions. xcrazyx