PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Week 8 Power Rankings/Pick 'Em.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 13th, 2019, 11:19 AM
I was 2-0 last week. Apparently an unprecedented number of SoCon teams took the day off. Here's where I have at it after yesterday's games.

1) Furman - Had a great season so far, odds on favorite to clinch autobid
2) Chattanooga - here because they beat two of the SoCon's worst teams
3) Wofford - should send VMI a thank you note for their move up
4) VMI - is undoubtedly this season what ETSU was last season
5) Samford - lost in overtime to an improved VMI squad
6) The Citadel - Bulldogs pick up their first conference win
7) ETSU - Maybe 0-3 in conference play, but all of their losses were against three of the best conference teams
8) Mercer - Great start but has since flatlined
9) Western Carolina - lost yet another game again

Week 8 Games
ETSU @ Chattanooga (Upset Special of the Week) - Swap ETSU's conference slate with Chattanooga's conference slate and you would likely get a similar result. ETSU has the defense that can hang with Chattanooga's offense. The matchup to watch here is ETSU's offense vs. Chattanooga's defense. Believe ETSU can offensively get it done on the road.
The Citadel @ Furman - If it was not for injuries on the part of The Citadel's players, this had all the makings of it being the Game of the Week. Furman is clicking on all cylinders, The Citadel not so much. Expect Furman to make short work of The Citadel.
Western Carolina @ Wofford - Western is a team that fell on hard times. Wofford had a bad start to their season but has recovered quite nicely. I also fully expect Wofford to make short work of Western as well.
VMI @ Mercer - A lot has been said about both teams. VMI has trended upward while Mercer has trended downward. While Wachenheim is assured of an extension (presuming VMI takes care of business in the games they're supposed to win), not much has been said for Lamb. Keydets pick up their second win against a Mercer team on the verge of collapse.

Mocs123
October 13th, 2019, 11:26 AM
ETSU 17
Chattanooga 20 – I’m expecting to get the Bucs best game, but I think the Mocs squeak out a win at home.

The Citadel 14
Furman 35 – Furman continues to roll in the conference.

Western Carolina 14
Wofford 41 – Western’s D can’t stop the Terriers running attack.

VMI 41 – VMI wins a shootout in Macon.
Mercer 35

1.) Furman – Class of the ’19 SoCon
2.) Chattanooga – Most consistent of the next group.
3.) Wofford – The Terriers are still in the SoCon hunt.
4.) VMI – Keydets continue to impress. Robert Morris is a head scratcher.
5.) Samford – There’s talent in Birmingham. Could hatchers seat be getting warm?
6.) ETSU – Sophomore slump in Randy Sanders coaching career? Henrik was the heart and soul of the offense.
7.) The Citadel – Injuries keeping the Bulldogs from getting wins.
8.) Mercer – Bobby Lamb’s seat has to be getting pretty hot.
9.) Western Carolina – Even Tyrie can’t help the Catamounts.

Maximum # of D1 wins available (not counting $ games except The Citadel’s win over GT)
9 – Furman
9- Chattanooga
8- Wofford
8- The Citadel
7- Samford
7- VMI
7-Mercer
6- ETSU (out)
6- Western Carolina (out)

gofurman
October 13th, 2019, 12:44 PM
What injuries do the Citadel doggs have? Rainey looks better and has another week now... the Bback is back and healthy. Is a starter missing???

ElCid
October 13th, 2019, 01:43 PM
What injuries do the Citadel doggs have? Rainey looks better and has another week now... the Bback is back and healthy. Is a starter missing???

The only one still out now is the punter, but the backup had been doing ok to good. Don't know any others. With Rainey out or limited and the starting BBack out for a three games, it was a bit tough. Hopefully on the upswing.

PaladinFan
October 13th, 2019, 01:48 PM
Just watched some the VMI-Samford contest.

Samford has a huge problem on defense. They might be the worst tackling team I've seen in years. Guys just run wide open through that defense.

gofurman
October 13th, 2019, 02:41 PM
The only one still out now is the punter, but the backup had been doing ok to good. Don't know any others. With Rainey out or limited and the starting BBack out for a three games, it was a bit tough. Hopefully on the upswing.

Right. Thanks so No real injuries. Heck we are missing a key LB starter Vann

kdinva
October 13th, 2019, 03:31 PM

Samford has a huge problem on defense. They might be the worst tackling team I've seen in years.

VMI's traditionally has not been good, either. From my seat at the game yesterday, samford's runners/pass catchers had more yards after first contact than did VMI's...

SU DOG
October 13th, 2019, 03:34 PM

Samford has a huge problem on defense. They might be the worst tackling team I've seen in years. Guys just run wide open through that defense.

That true - sadly, we may be in a tight situation with Western as to whose defense is the worst.

bonarae
October 13th, 2019, 05:33 PM
Chattanooga - what's left of ETSU now? xchinscratchx
Furman
Wofford
VMI

gofurman
October 13th, 2019, 09:05 PM
congrats to mr Devlin Hodges so far tonight from Samford. on the road .. keep it up ! Glad hes with the steelers and not Samford now :D

BearDownMU
October 14th, 2019, 08:48 AM
That true - sadly, we may be in a tight situation with Western as to whose defense is the worst.

Mercer: "Hold my soft zone."

walliver
October 14th, 2019, 09:28 AM
Power Rankings:
Most teams took the week off so there isn't a lot to talk about here.
1) Furman - did not play
2-3) Wofford and Chatty both got off to bad starts, so it is hard to distinguish between the two, so I will do the honorable thing
2) Chattanooga - did not play
3) Wofford - did not play
4) VMI - a very under-rated team, but not a great team. No-one should overlook them.
5) ETSU - did not play
6) The Citadel - beat a bad team, but they didn't lose.
7) Samford - What has happened?
8) Mercer - did not play
9) Western Carolina - what else is there to say

This week:
ETSU at Chattanooga - Chatty has been sailing under the radar. ETSU has struggled. The home team wins 28-20
The Citadel at the Furman - Even in rivalry games, the better team usually wins. The Bullpups slow down the horsie offense for one half, but the Pukes pull away 42-10
WCU at Wofford - Could this be the week Tyrie gets hot? Does the Cant defense get a stop. This will end up closer than it should be, but T-Dogs win 49-38
VMI at Mercer - VMI wins this on paper, but the Cubbies have their backs to the wall and win one for the lamb. Mercer in an upset 31-28
Samford struggles against BYE, but survives without a loss.

None of the teams likely to make the playoffs played last week:
Basically Chatty, Furman and Wofford can take the autobid by winning out.
FU is in a good spot for an at-large.

SU DOG
October 14th, 2019, 10:29 AM
congrats to mr Devlin Hodges so far tonight from Samford. on the road .. keep it up ! Glad hes with the steelers and not Samford now :D

Thank you - yes, we are very proud of him. He was somewhat restrained from throwing downfield, but understandably, that was the game plan. Only 2 Steelers QBs have ever won their first starting game. Devlin and Big Ben!

PaladinFan
October 14th, 2019, 10:46 AM
Wofford has had a nice ease into the 2019 season. Once they're past WCU, the schedule is going to amp up.

I don't want to undersell VMI, but I think playoff positioning right now is going to be Furman and whichever team survives UTC/Wofford next weekend.

ElCid
October 14th, 2019, 08:53 PM
Power Ranking

1) Furman - Team to beat
2) Wofford - They have had a weird season, but I think they are finally on the right track and have their head in the game again
3) Chattanooga - I am not sold on them but they appear to be stabilized
4) VMI - They seem to be remembering how to win again
5) The Citadel - Yeah I know, how can we be above Samford, but this ain't a standing, its a power, trend poll and my Dogs are settling down again
6) ETSU - Not convinced they are consistently decent yet; this week may tell a lot
7) Samford - They are as unpredictable as the other Bulldogs, probably more so
8) Mercer - Something smells in Macon
9) Western Carolina - Hmmmm...Adams is good...that's about it

Predictions

ETSU at Chattanooga - Chattanooga's O has not been great even if they are picking up a bit, ETSU can keep it close maybe - 20-13
The Citadel at Furman - Furman has got it together, but the Dogs can play keep away with the ball; still, unless the Dogs can gain 1st downs, win the turnovers, and get some special team plays, Furman may be a bit too much - 34-21
WCU at Wofford - Wofford will roll - 52-20
VMI at Mercer - VMI has been putting up points with regularity and appears to be in the zone; but have they really learned how to win again? A third consecutive conf road victory may be a bridge too far. The Bears may have just enough for a mild upset on their home turf, especially if they snag an interception - 34-26

I still think it is a bit early for playoff predictions, but if I was a betting man I would say Furman will probably win out. You never know, but at 10-2, they will get a seed. If Wofford ends up at 7-4 with upcoming losses to Furman and Clemson, then maybe. They beat Furman to be 8-3, no doubt, but Furman may lose seed.

gofurman
October 14th, 2019, 11:02 PM
Wofford has had a nice ease into the 2019 season. Once they're past WCU, the schedule is going to amp up.

I don't want to undersell VMI, but I think playoff positioning right now is going to be Furman and whichever team survives UTC/Wofford next weekend.

PaladinFan, do see that game like you but with a note.. If Woff loses they are out of running w 2 conf losses. Chatt could lose v Woff (I think that pro likely) and still theoretically win out and get in playoffs w autobid - as they would have one loss (to Woff) and be 7-1 conf if they won every game includin' Furman and thus have the tiebreaker on Furman. Though they would probably need Woff to lose one other game somewhere in conf. But a 7-1 conference Chatt team could win conference even w a loss to Woff.

PaladinFan
October 15th, 2019, 04:45 AM
PaladinFan, do see that game like you but with a note.. If Woff loses they are out of running w 2 conf losses. Chatt could lose v Woff (I think that pro likely) and still theoretically win out and get in playoffs w autobid - as they would have one loss (to Woff) and be 7-1 conf if they won every game includin' Furman and thus have the tiebreaker on Furman. Though they would probably need Woff to lose one other game somewhere in conf. But a 7-1 conference Chatt team could win conference even w a loss to Woff.

I'm not talking about the autobid. There are always a number of scenarios and tiebreakers for the autobid.

I'm saying that if the SoCon is going to be a two bid league, it will likely be Furman and the winner of that game.

Of course, there aren't that many great teams in the FCS this year, so it may open a door.

PaladinFan
October 15th, 2019, 07:01 AM
A few musings:

There's been a notable, I think, drop in defensive quality this year. Last year, there were 5 teams that surrendered fewer than 30 points per game on average. This year, there are only 3 (Furman, ETSU, and Wofford).

Interestingly, the worst defenses this year are not as bad as they were last year. There were two defenses last season (WCU and VMI) surrendering over 40 ppg. There's only one this season (Samford).

The four teams that spread it out and throw it the most (WCU, Samford, VMI, and Mercer) have statistically the four worst defenses. Of those four, only VMI isn't upside down on scoring differential (and only slightly).

Clay Hendrix made an interesting point in his press conference yesterday about Furman not having to "card" the Citadel's offense. That is, Furman already has personnel and plays that can simulate the Citadel's offense without having to reinvent the wheel. In a league full of unique offenses, Furman seems to have an advantage in being as "multiple" offensively as they are. The Paladins can recreate just about every team's offense and give their defense a solid look in practice.

For those teams that are mostly one-dimensional on offense (and traditionally are weaker defensively), I'm not sure how you prepare to defense a team running a completely different offensive set. How does Samford even being to recreate a split veer option attack? How does an option team recreate an air raid look? Do we see less defense in the conference because of the wide variety of offensive systems and numerous teams that are so heavily one dimensional that they will struggle to prepare their defenses?

Mocs123
October 15th, 2019, 08:42 AM
I know the first couple of years Huesman was in Chattanooga when BJ Coleman was QB (pro style), he had a Running Back play the QB of the option team on the Scout Team. In fact after a big win against (The Citadel???) he gave that Running Back (Chris Awah) the game ball after the game.

FU_Paladin08
October 15th, 2019, 09:44 PM
Looking for a championship

1. Furman:
2. Wofford: interesting move going with the Furman technique of lose early and claw toward the playoffs. We’ll see if it pays off for them.
3. Chattanooga: maybe the same level as Wofford but less impressive wins.
4. VMI: Curious where this goes. Can they get some top 25 votes this year?

Hoping to play upset

5. ETSU: Maybe last year was a fluke. Sure were a bunch of close games that went their way.
6. Samford: I feel sorry the offense has to be on the same team as that defense.
7. The Citadel: Might finally be healthy. Could make things interesting down the stretch.

Bottom feeders

8. Mercer: At least they still get to play Samford.
9. W. Carolina: Also still have Samford to play.

Citadel v Furman: We’ll see if Furman continues to roll or show some growing pains.
ETSU v UTC: Thursday night football!
WCU v Wofford: Wofford finding their identity they decided to throw away this past offseason. If it ain’t broke, fix it?
VMI v Mercer: Can VMI win consistently or is just winning a few games good enough this year?

kdinva
October 16th, 2019, 05:17 AM
https://www.goupstate.com/sports/20191015/vmi-earning-votes-in-fcs-rankings

gofurman
October 16th, 2019, 05:21 AM
congratsto VMI !

PaladinFan
October 16th, 2019, 06:51 AM
https://www.goupstate.com/sports/20191015/vmi-earning-votes-in-fcs-rankings

Bully for VMI.

I appreciate Conklin "politikin" Wofford's win over VMI.

The SoCon schedule this year just doesn't present a lot of opportunities for advancement in the polls. A lot of teams got off to weak starts and eliminated opportunities to notch wins over ranked opponents.

That said, I can guarantee you that Wofford, VMI, and UTC all have their games against Furman circled twice on their schedule. It represents about the only shot any of those teams have for notching a significant FCS win for the rest of the season.

gofurman
October 16th, 2019, 07:06 AM
Bully for VMI.

I appreciate Conklin "politikin" Wofford's win over VMI.

The SoCon schedule this year just doesn't present a lot of opportunities for advancement in the polls. A lot of teams got off to weak starts and eliminated opportunities to notch wins over ranked opponents.

That said, I can guarantee you that Wofford, VMI, and UTC all have their games against Furman circled twice on their schedule. It represents about the only shot any of those teams have for notching a significant FCS win for the rest of the season.

sure - I was just congratulating VMI. Not Conklin doing his coach speak. VMI deserves coach of the year I think

ElCid
October 16th, 2019, 07:29 AM
I was just looking at Chatty's schedule...they 2-0 in conf, but they have no break in competition. I think how they do against ETSU is going to say a lot about how the rest of their season goes. At least they are alternating H and A. After ETSU, playing Wof, Fur, Sam, Cit, and now a revitalized VMI to close is daunting.

One thing I noticed is that, in general, the conf games so far are not as close this year as they have been the last few years. Some close ones, but we have had "a lot" of games in recent years within 1-4 points.

ElCid
October 16th, 2019, 07:31 AM
sure - I was just congratulating VMI. Not Conklin doing his coach speak. VMI deserves coach of the year I think

I agree, so far, and probably even if they lose a lot more, but I think we need to still see just a bit more.

gofurman
October 16th, 2019, 04:19 PM
I agree, so far, and probably even if they lose a lot more, but I think we need to still see just a bit more.

Though VMI and Citadel are in OT a lot...

PaladinFan
October 17th, 2019, 05:20 AM
This surprised me - the 2019 Paladins trail only the 2000 Paladins (led by Louis Ivory) in terms of per game rushing output.

FUBeAR
October 17th, 2019, 05:33 AM
Power Rankings

1. Furman - a #2 seed is possible, but FUBeAR will settle for anything in the Top 4.

2. Wofford’s New (old) Offense - friendly scheduling has the tinypups LOOKING good.

3. ETSU’s Defense - gotta carry the Bucs because they seem to fail to realize, unless they have some extremely positive (as yet unknown) personnel changes, that they have no chance of establishing a passing attack & need to adapt to a anklebiter & bellhop way of life on O.

4. VMI - can the Kangas live with their newfound prosperity? Hopefully not...for this week & 1 other down the road.

5. Samford’s Offense - Is half a Team better or worse to have than half a stadium?

6. Chattanooga - Mocs fans are all starting to sound like Chatttttttown again; making a game where they led by 3 @ half against a so-so Team, playing without most of their best players, sound like an epic beatdown & coming out party for their nascent dominance of the SoCon. Hardly on both counts.

7. Mercer - Playing & Coaching for pride & to be spoilers. Massey now says these Bears lose the rest, finish @ 2-10 / 1-7 on a 10 game losing streak. FUBeAR sez Massey can nuzzle his furry hindquarters. That shiite ain’t happenin’!

8. The Citadel - Amazing how playing WCU makes all seem so right in the world. It’s not. It’s still a broken world & a heavily flawed Team. I do like how they did return to running an actual Offense against the Cantamounts’ soft-as-tub-butter-in-a-microwave defense though. Let’s see what they trot out THIS week.

9. Wofford’s Defense - 1 more week of LOOKING like they are a pretty good TEAM; then 5 weeks for reality to set in.

10. ETSU’s Offense - See #3 above.

11. Western Carolina - gotta give ‘em FULL credit. They do keep appearing for their games, as scheduled & because of that consistency of presence (only), they, as a Team, have surpassed Samford’s Defense in FUBeAR’s Power Rankings.

12. Samford’s Defense - I said it before (just last week...right here), but I’ll say it again...heard they had improved; heard they were really good. They haven’t. They aren’t.

Picks

ETSU’s D contains Chatt’s fair-to-middlin’ O, gets 2 or 3 turnovers on short fields & their O takes advantage of the ‘gifts,’ putting up enough points to win this one 24-21

Furman romps again 56-20. bellhop’s O scores 2 late 2nd half TD’s against the Furman Chamber Orchestra

Wofford dominates WCU (as all SoCon Teams have & will) 77-14 & continues to make themselves & their fans BELIEVE they are on track for the Playoffs and have a chance to even win the SoCon. They aren’t. They don’t.

Mercer, much healthier (but still without game-changer Durden), finds some of what they had on O to start the season & does enough on D to slow down the marsupial marauders. In fact, they pick QB “U” for the 1st time this season; heck, I think they even get 2 off of him. Bears win 45-35.

Mocs123
October 17th, 2019, 06:27 AM
6. Chattanooga - Mocs fans are all starting to sound like Chatttttttown again; making a game where they led by 3 @ half against a so-so Team, playing without most of their best players, sound like an epic beatdown & coming out party for their nascent dominance of the SoCon. Hardly on both counts.

I'm not sure what Moc fans are saying that. We could be the second best team in the SoCon or we could be the seventh best, it's really hard to tell at this point due to our schedule. To be honest, I'm concerned as injuries are starting to mount for the Mocs. We played Mercer without four starters on offense, and a fifth that played a lot. We are currently down our two pre-season starting running backs (one an all American and one all conference), our starting right tackle (and leader of the OL), and our two leading pass catchers (including an all American). Our best returning defensive player is playing with not one, but two clubs (to be honest, I'm not sure how he tackles anyone). Three of our five significant injured players are done for the year. My guess is we won't see either of the other two against ETSU either, but might see Wofford.

Massey shows us winning 3 more games - I'm hoping for 4, but I could see us going either way. The games get tougher every week from here, but we should know a lot more after tonight.

Ailym Ford a true freshman who has filled in a running back has been fantastic, but he's had 62 carries the past two games. That's not sustainable.

PaladinFan
October 17th, 2019, 09:07 AM
1. Furman - a #2 seed is possible, but FUBeAR will settle for anything in the Top 4.

Furman romps again 56-20. bellhop’s O scores 2 late 2nd half TD’s against the Furman Chamber Orchestra

You are going to trigger the Wofford folks.

They needed a chance to stop patting themselves on the back for beating Gardner Webb and VMI to talk about how unreasonable Furman fans are.

Judgment cometh, and that right soon.

FUBeAR
October 17th, 2019, 09:37 AM
You are going to trigger the Wofford folks.

They needed a chance to stop patting themselves on the back for beating Gardner Webb and VMI to talk about how unreasonable Furman fans are.

Judgment cometh, and that right soon.Hey now - don’t sell the minipups short.

They also clinched their ‘dominant’ win over 2-4 / 0-3 ETSU with 3 minutes left in the game during their ‘return to DOMINANCE’ after losing to a barely-above-.500 MEAC team & scoring 14 in a home loss to a Samford Team that can barely hold any other Teams under half a hundred. AND...they tangle, this week, with everyone’s Auto-W, WCU.

HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN in SparkleBurg!!

Scrappy94
October 17th, 2019, 09:44 AM
1. Furman
2. Chattanooga
3. Wofford
4. VMI
5. The Citadel
6. Samford
7. Mercer
8. ETSU
9. Western Carolina

ETSU @ Chattanooga
The Citadel @ Furman
Western Carolina @ Wofford
VMI @ Mercer

Sir William
October 17th, 2019, 10:48 AM
Easy picks:
Furman over Knobs
Wofford over Western

Tighter calls:
Chatty’s at home, but ETSU playing with backs against wall and something to prove. ETSU over Chatty in a low-scoring close one.

VMI on offensive roll, but like ETSU, Mercer with backs against wall. At home, Mercer over VMI in a high-scoring close one.

Milktruck74
October 17th, 2019, 10:59 AM
With the exception of FuBear-ierrerMounts (since he roots for about 5 teams in the SoCon, Ha), I think we are all pulling for VMI in 7 or the 8 conference games. VMI has been so bad for So long, even the Hops, being their most heated conference rival are pulling for them. OfCourse as it gets closer to the end and they have some bearing on the tie breaker situation or playing for that second playoff spot (assuming the conference pulls off an at large), things might be a little different.

kdinva
October 17th, 2019, 11:18 AM
ETSU 20 @ UTC 27
The Citadel 20 @ Furman 42
Western Carolina 13 @ Wofford 45
VMI 37 @ Mercer 28

PaladinFan
October 17th, 2019, 11:53 AM
Hey now - don’t sell the minipups short.

They also clinched their ‘dominant’ win over 2-4 / 0-3 ETSU with 3 minutes left in the game during their ‘return to DOMINANCE’ after losing to a barely-above-.500 MEAC team & scoring 14 in a home loss to a Samford Team that can barely hold any other Teams under half a hundred. AND...they tangle, this week, with everyone’s Auto-W, WCU.

HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN in SparkleBurg!!

Wofford's new passing attack is somewhere having a beer with Samford's defense.

FUBeAR
October 17th, 2019, 12:52 PM
Easy picks:
Furman over Knobs
Wofford over Western

Tighter calls:
Chatty’s at home, but ETSU playing with backs against wall and something to prove. ETSU over Chatty in a low-scoring close one.

VMI on offensive roll, but like ETSU, Mercer with backs against wall. At home, Mercer over VMI in a high-scoring close one.
Great minds...and all that...

youwouldno
October 17th, 2019, 01:04 PM
I initially saw VMI - Mercer as a toss-up, maybe slight edge to Mercer . . . there's no question that the latter has the more talented and athletic team, top to bottom. But Mercer has not gotten consistent QB play, while VMI has had excellent QB play . . . that position can make up for a lot of things elsewhere. Plus, VMI's morale must be at a high point, whereas Mercer is underachieving and has a coaching staff almost certain to be let go at the end of the year. It's an interesting contest despite the lack of realistic SoCon impact (minimal chance VMI takes the auto).

PaladinFan
October 17th, 2019, 01:13 PM
Listening to Lamb, Tyray Devezin will be back in the lineup.

Mercer's at their best when he's running the ball a bunch.

SU DOG
October 17th, 2019, 01:46 PM
Since I have very little to be happy about this week, I can only come up with one bragging point, in particular, for Furman and Samford. It is academia, but still...

http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4000&ATCLID=211814437

PaladinFan
October 17th, 2019, 02:44 PM
Since I have very little to be happy about this week, I can only come up with one bragging point, in particular, for Furman and Samford. It is academia, but still...

http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4000&ATCLID=211814437

Never understood what these scores mean, but like most alumni (I would assume), we are interested to know whether our school is upholding academic standards in efforts to excel on the field.

BearDownMU
October 17th, 2019, 06:26 PM
Listening to Lamb, Tyray Devezin will be back in the lineup.

Mercer's at their best when he's running the ball a bunch.

Mercer is at their best when #13 is on the field. Alas, he shan't be this weekend.

FUBeAR
October 17th, 2019, 07:35 PM
Wofford dominates WCU (as all SoCon Teams have & will) 77-14 & continues to make themselves & their fans BELIEVE they are on track for the Playoffs

See what I mean... https://www.goupstate.com/sports/20191016/woffords-offense-back-on-target - mentioned “Playoffs” 5x in this short article.

I know it’s a remote outpost trying to ride the coattails of Greenville, but have they never heard of Jim Mora in SparkleCity?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2R2sH2ScBM

Milktruck74
October 17th, 2019, 09:58 PM
Well, the Mocs special teams did everything they could help ETSu. But Lim Ford rushed for 203 and two touchdowns to post a victory over ETSU and his own special teams......16-13. What should have looked like 26-7 ended up being a much closer game.....but Lim made the difference.

FUBeAR
October 17th, 2019, 10:03 PM
I’ve read here words, from at least one ETSU fan, to the effect of ETSU’s HC being the 2nd coming of Knute Rockne, et al.

I wonder how ETSU fans feel about this decision not to kick a FG, in the 4th quarter of a tied game, after a 3 point Conference loss sinks them to 0-4 / 2-5 with only 1 D1 win?

4th Quarter

4th and 2 at UTC12
[Twins], Trey Mitchell middle pass complete to Jacob Saylors for loss of 3 yards to the UTC15 (Jerrell Lawson).

rtzlunar
October 17th, 2019, 10:24 PM
I’ve read here words, from at least one ETSU fan, to the effect of ETSU’s HC being the 2nd coming of Knute Rockne, et al.

I wonder how ETSU fans feel about this decision not to kick a FG, in the 4th quarter of a tied game, after a 3 point Conference loss sinks them to 0-4 / 2-5 with only 1 D1 win?

Their fans are bashing him on their message board. Chattanooga’s special teams tried their best to hand over a game to him that they otherwise dominated but he pissed it away. After the 3rd missed FG with under 3 to play and after Sanders called 3 straight timeouts to keep the Mocs from running the clock down he ran 3 straight runs from the 20 for negative yards and punted back to Chattanooga for the winning drive.

SUPharmacist
October 17th, 2019, 11:30 PM
Apparently I missed the the first game. So for the rest:
Furman
Wofford
Mercer

And congrats Mocs

gofurman
October 17th, 2019, 11:46 PM
Furman
Wofford
Mercer

And congrats Mocs

NOO please dont pick Furman. no jinx!!! - you have picked against us every game and we have won every SoCon and FCS game

SUPharmacist
October 18th, 2019, 12:10 AM
NOO please dont pick Furman. no jinx!!! - you have picked against us every game and we have won every SoCon and FCS game

I wish I had that kind of power. Instead I am just someone bad at pickems. I will tell you, I wanted to pick Citadel, but I cannot keep going with a streak like that.

Mocs123
October 18th, 2019, 06:24 AM

4th Quarter

4th and 2 at UTC12
[Twins], Trey Mitchell middle pass complete to Jacob Saylors for loss of 3 yards to the UTC15 (Jerrell Lawson).

To be honest, I liked the call. It was a gutsy move, and it was one of those calls where if they had gotten the first down and turned it into a TD, they might have won the game, and they'd be calling him a hero. Those type of calls you're either a smart coach that believes in their team, or a stupid coach that's holding their team back depending on if the play is successful or not.

That being said, I'm glad Lawson busted that play!

PaladinNation
October 18th, 2019, 06:24 AM
Watched the ETSU/CHATT game last night. I think the game plan for both teams was to put the other team asleep.

When ETSU came to Greenville, they played inspired, physical defense. Last night I'm not sure they wanted to be there.

I might be wrong but I think Wofford will roll against the Mocs.

FUBeAR
October 18th, 2019, 07:07 AM
To be honest, I liked the call. It was a gutsy move, and it was one of those calls where if they had gotten the first down and turned it into a TD, they might have won the game, and they'd be calling him a hero. Those type of calls you're either a smart coach that believes in their team, or a stupid coach that's holding their team back depending on if the play is successful or not.

That being said, I'm glad Lawson busted that play!Normally, I would agree, BUT you have a good D, your opponent’s K is obviously ‘challenged,’ it’s 4th & 2 (not 4th and 1 or less), and points are clearly not coming to either team rapidly in this game. Take the points there in the 4th quarter, Coach.

Oh...and if you do decide to risk it, don’t run sideways - power or QB reverse out belly-G in short yardage (or toss sweep if you run it like the Paladins of the 80’s). If you don’t get it running those plays, you didn’t deserve it.

PaladinFan
October 18th, 2019, 07:09 AM
See what I mean... https://www.goupstate.com/sports/20191016/woffords-offense-back-on-target - mentioned “Playoffs” 5x in this short article.

I know it’s a remote outpost trying to ride the coattails of Greenville, but have they never heard of Jim Mora in SparkleCity?

Wofford was in playoff mode the minute they lost to South Carolina State.

Wofford prefers 11 games and rarely stretches themselves in out of conference scheduling. The huge risk in that approach is that you fail to win those winnable out of conference games. It puts you squarely behind the 8 ball in terms of at large qualifying.

Bottom line, Wofford really cannot afford to lose to anyone not named Clemson.

I also am of the opinion that their game against Furman is a "must win" for Wofford. Outside of Clemson, Furman is Wofford's only opportunity to notch a notable win against a top team this season. Even if they take another loss, they could sneak in as an at large at 7-4 (6-2) with a win over a potentially top 10 Furman team.

A loss to Furman, and Wofford would be 7-4 (6-2) with, I guess, their best resume-building win coming over VMI or UTC. That isn't a strong resume for playoff consideration.

gofurman
October 18th, 2019, 08:14 AM
I'm not sure what Moc fans are saying that. We could be the second best team in the SoCon or we could be the seventh best, it's really hard to tell at this point due to our schedule. To be honest, I'm concerned as injuries are starting to mount for the Mocs. We played Mercer without four starters on offense, and a fifth that played a lot. We are currently down our two pre-season starting running backs (one an all American and one all conference), our starting right tackle (and leader of the OL), and our two leading pass catchers (including an all American). Our best returning defensive player is playing with not one, but two clubs (to be honest, I'm not sure how he tackles anyone). Three of our five significant injured players are done for the year. My guess is we won't see either of the other two against ETSU either, but might see Wofford.

Massey shows us winning 3 more games - I'm hoping for 4, but I could see us going either way. The games get tougher every week from here, but we should know a lot more after tonight.

Ailym Ford a true freshman who has filled in a running back has been fantastic, but he's had 62 carries the past two games. That's not sustainable.

Mocs, help me here - I see that Tyrel Price is indeed out. Shame but that Fr running back looked good! but what all-American pass catcher are you down? I thought you meant Nunnelly but he played as far as I can see? You said all american level ?
also, which OL is out?

Milktruck74
October 18th, 2019, 09:32 AM
Mocs, help me here - I see that Tyrel Price is indeed out. Shame but that Fr running back looked good! but what all-American pass catcher are you down? I thought you meant Nunnelly but he played as far as I can see? You said all american level ?
also, which OL is out?

Nunnley was a game time decision. He did play, but he wasn't the Bryce we are use to seeing. Far from an AA WR last night. We also lost Harrison Moon off the OL.

Mocs123
October 18th, 2019, 11:01 AM
Bryce wasn't expected to be back - he left the Mercer game with a dislocated shoulder (assumed) and wasn't really expected to be back. He did tough it out vs. ETSU but was basically a one armed wideout.

We're also out three running backs now Tyrell Price (ACL), Elijah Ibitokun-Hanks (hamstring), and Jeffery Wood II (knee??) Tyrell is gone for the year. Ibi (a 2016 All American) is week to week. Wood was an injury at ETSU and I have no idea what the extent of it is. He could be back vs. Wofford, or he could be done for the year.

gofurman
October 18th, 2019, 11:31 AM
thanks to the Mocs guys

The Cats
October 18th, 2019, 11:49 AM
Furman
Wofford
VMI

kdinva
October 18th, 2019, 05:22 PM

Jesus Christ;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvSto8V77Ao

xdeadhorsex xarguex

it is what it is..........3 years ago, VMI was the victim of a phantom late hit on a Mercer ball carrier late in the game, with under 10 seconds in regulation. The extra 15 yards allowed Mercer to kick the tying FG.....

FUBeAR
October 18th, 2019, 08:23 PM
Jesus Christ;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvSto8V77Ao

xdeadhorsex xarguex

it is what it is..........3 years ago, VMI was the victim of a phantom late hit on a Mercer ball carrier late in the game, with under 10 seconds in regulation. The extra 15 yards allowed Mercer to kick the tying FG.....

...preceded by a phantom OPI call on Mercer that brought a 70 yard TD pass back...a TD that would have pretty much put the game out of reach in the first place @ 31-20, Mercer up 11 with about 3 minutes to play...

3rd and 4 at MER31
John Russ pass complete to Avery Ward for 69 yards to the VMI0, clock 03:27, PENALTY MER pass interference 15 yards to the MER16, NO PLAY.

...it was what it was.

Is there a horse skeleton emoji we can beat?

kdinva
October 19th, 2019, 08:53 AM
...preceded by a phantom OPI call on Mercer that brought a 70 yard TD pass back...a TD that would have pretty much put the game out of reach in the first place @ 31-20, Mercer up 11 with about 3 minutes to play...

3rd and 4 at MER31
John Russ pass complete to Avery Ward for 69 yards to the VMI0, clock 03:27, PENALTY MER pass interference 15 yards to the MER16, NO PLAY.

...it was what it was.

Is there a horse skeleton emoji we can beat?

I remember that too....just sayin' maybe once per generation something goes VMI's way......is that OK? :D

FUBeAR
October 19th, 2019, 09:20 AM
I remember that too....just sayin' maybe once per generation something goes VMI's way......is that OK? :D
Not today, kdinva...not today!

Milktruck74
October 19th, 2019, 02:12 PM
Looks like a Doubly Bad Day for FuBear...Seriously, What's wrong with Furples QB...Not playing like he has....Balls all behind and low.

ElCid
October 19th, 2019, 02:16 PM
Looks like a Doubly Bad Day for FuBear...Seriously, What's wrong with Furples QB...Not playing like he has....Balls all behind and low.

Well according to the Furman announcer its because the ball is wet.xrotatehx

Milktruck74
October 19th, 2019, 02:18 PM

Grainger must have small hands....he and Trump!!! hahaha.

ElCid
October 19th, 2019, 02:21 PM
If we can stop them on this drive, it is going to be tough for the Paladins.

PaladinFan
October 19th, 2019, 02:25 PM

I mean, it's a little unexplainable. Furman receivers are open, Grainger is just spiking the ball in the ground in front of them.

My baseball experience suggests that maybe with a cold rainy day, his arm has tightened up and he can't find his release point. That's perhaps while you see him short arming everything.

Hats off to the Citadel's defense. They are doing what they need to do. It's still peculiar to see a player as good as Grainger look that bad throwing the ball.

As a Furman fan, I anticipated we'd have peaks and valleys with this offense. When they look good, they've looked really good. When things haven't been clicking, they seem to have a hard time getting back on track.

Milktruck74
October 19th, 2019, 02:27 PM
I mean, it's a little unexplainable. Furman receivers are open, Grainger is just spiking the ball in the ground in front of them.

My baseball experience suggests that maybe with a cold rainy day, his arm has tightened up and he can't find his release point. That's perhaps while you see him short arming everything.

Hats off to the Citadel's defense. They are doing what they need to do. It's still peculiar to see a player as good as Grainger look that bad throwing the ball.

Something is not right...you are probably right...He is not what he has been.

ElCid
October 19th, 2019, 02:30 PM
A nice 8 minute scoring drive would be nice by the Dogs.

PaladinFan
October 19th, 2019, 02:32 PM
A nice 8 minute scoring drive would be nice by the Dogs.

Need one of those Citadel fumbles in their own redzone instead of Furman's. That'd up the pressure on everyone.

PaladinFan
October 19th, 2019, 02:38 PM
The Citadel is a different team with a healthy Rainey. Blowing the game at Samford is going to be one they are going to want to have back.

Milktruck74
October 19th, 2019, 02:38 PM
NAIL!

ElCid
October 19th, 2019, 02:41 PM
Wow, 7 minute drive so far. They get this 1st down, game is probably over.

PaladinFan
October 19th, 2019, 02:43 PM
Wow, 7 minute drive so far. They get this 1st down, game is probably over.

That fumble deep in Furman's redzone looks like it will be a backbreaker.

Milktruck74
October 19th, 2019, 02:47 PM
Why Kick it? Up 11 or up 14 doesn't really matter....I guess Thompson figures he is going to force Furple to hit both XPs in the rain???? Or takes the 6+2 and 3 out of play? Guess that's why I'm not an HC.

ElCid
October 19th, 2019, 02:47 PM
Wow drive lasted 7:11. Half the quarter. 24-10. I like the FG. It appears weird, but another FG would ice it. Good to get the points.

PaladinFan
October 19th, 2019, 02:48 PM
You know, I'm glad Clay Hendrix has left Grainger out there. This would have been a GREAT game to try and see if the backup had any better luck in the passing game.

This Paladin team is still relatively young. They are going to need Grainger to lead them the next few years. He's got to learn on the job and take his lumps. Maybe sticking with Grainger in a game like this helps Furman win a tough close games in the future.

Milktruck74
October 19th, 2019, 02:49 PM
kick OB is not as bad as it was....a Fair catch gets it on the 25...OB on the 35....10 yards not too big a deal.

ElCid
October 19th, 2019, 02:51 PM
Game

PaladinFan
October 19th, 2019, 02:53 PM
Surprisingly, UTC is about to be sitting alone atop the SoCon.

Milktruck74
October 19th, 2019, 02:55 PM
Surprisingly, UTC is about to be sitting alone atop the SoCon.

Funny thing is my Mocs haven't beaten anybody good....but.... I think (through 3 SoCon games) they are mirroring last years Bucs...just doing enough to get the W (and nothing more).

ElCid
October 19th, 2019, 02:55 PM
Why Kick it? Up 11 or up 14 doesn't really matter....I guess Thompson figures he is going to force Furple to hit both XPs in the rain???? Or takes the 6+2 and 3 out of play? Guess that's why I'm not an HC.

Wow drive lasted 7:11. Half the quarter. 24-10. I like the FG. It appears weird, but another FG would ice it. Good to get the points.

That's why. 27-10.:D

ElCid
October 19th, 2019, 02:59 PM
8. The Citadel - Amazing how playing Furman makes all seem so right in the world. It’s must be. It’s must not be a broken world & or a heavily flawed Team. I don't like how they returned to running an actual Offense against Furman...since the Paladins couldn't stop them with their soft-as-tub-butter-in-a-microwave defense. Let’s see what they trot out THIS week.

FIFYxlolxxlolxxlolx

Sorry, couldn't resist.

ElCid
October 19th, 2019, 03:10 PM
Wow, Dogs hold Furman to 216 total yards 172 rushing...while they rushed for 360. Amazing. Rainey healthy does make a difference...165 yards...running left, right, up the middle, basically wherever he pleased against Furman.

ETSUfan1
October 19th, 2019, 03:10 PM
U hate to see it. Good win dogs.

rtzlunar
October 19th, 2019, 03:19 PM
Grainger 5-25 passing. Hope in rains in Chattanooga in 2 weeks.

Milktruck74
October 19th, 2019, 03:21 PM
riddle just compound FX his leg....thiesman like. I thought his shoe came off....it did not!!!

kdinva
October 19th, 2019, 03:23 PM
riddle just compound FX his leg....thiesman like. I thought his shoe came off....it did not!!!

that was ugly, sorry to see a fine athlete hurt like that......totally un intentional.

gofurman
October 19th, 2019, 03:31 PM
The Citadel is a different team with a healthy Rainey. Blowing the game at Samford is going to be one they are going to want to have back.

I tried to say this but no one (FUBeAR) would listen. That’s the team that beat GT because Rainey and the Bback are healthy now. That said the CAA killed them w full health. A lot of Furman peeps said the. Citadel looked slow. Riiiigtt. On other hand it wasn’t just Citadel O. Our O SUCKED ASS TODAY. OL got No push for third and one. QB couldn’t hit ANYTHING. that last one has nothing to do w Citadel. He hasn’t looked like that all year. Is Grainger ok? 5/25? Just yesterday he led nation in votes for best freshman in country. He couldn’t hit a ten foot target today

Milktruck74
October 19th, 2019, 03:32 PM
that was ugly, sorry to see a fine athlete hurt like that......totally un intentional.

yes. Nothing Malicious....Just a bad twist. Hard to get your mind back in the game (for both sides of the ball) after seeing that. Prayers for him.

PaladinFan
October 19th, 2019, 03:57 PM
I tried to say this but no one (FUBeAR) would listen. That’s the team that beat GT because Rainey and the Bback are healthy now. That said the CAA killed them w full health. A lot of Furman peeps said the. Citadel looked slow. Riiiigtt. On other hand it wasn’t just Citadel O. Our O SUCKED ASS TODAY. OL got No push for third and one. QB couldn’t hit ANYTHING. that last one has nothing to do w Citadel. He hasn’t looked like that all year. Is Grainger ok? 5/25? Just yesterday he led nation in votes for best freshman in country. He couldn’t hit a ten foot target today

I assume that Grainger is physically ok, or else he wouldn't have been run out there all game. The only explanation I have is that he couldn't find a release point on the throws. Guys were open - he just couldn't hit them.

gofurman
October 19th, 2019, 06:33 PM
Furman
Wofford
Mercer

And congrats Mocs

CITADEL didn't beat Furman at all. SUPharmacist' did. he has picked against us EVERY WEEK!!! and we have been killing FCS teams - He finally picks us to win this week. Please dude.. don't ever pick us again.. really

ElCid
October 19th, 2019, 07:13 PM
So I will toot my horn. Pretty damn close on a couple of these. Only blew my Dogs winning. But got the scores pretty dang close.

Predictions

ETSU at Chattanooga - Chattanooga's O has not been great even if they are picking up a bit, ETSU can keep it close maybe - 20-13 Actual 16-13...Chatty should have scored a TD on that last possession.
The Citadel at Furman - Furman has got it together, but the Dogs can play keep away with the ball; still, unless the Dogs can gain 1st downs, win the turnovers, and get some special team plays, Furman may be a bit too much - 34-21 Oops...Actual 27-10 Dogs...my bad
WCU at Wofford - Wofford will roll - 52-20 Yup Actual 59-7...if only Adams hadn't gone out
VMI at Mercer - VMI has been putting up points with regularity and appears to be in the zone; but have they really learned how to win again? A third consecutive conf road victory may be a bridge too far. The Bears may have just enough for a mild upset on their home turf, especially if they snag an interception - 34-26 Actual 34-27..if only the Keydets missed an XP.I still think it is a bit early for playoff predictions, but if I was a betting man I would say Furman will probably win out. You never know, but at 10-2, they will get a seed. If Wofford ends up at 7-4 with upcoming losses to Furman and Clemson, then maybe. They beat Furman to be 8-3, no doubt, but Furman may lose seed.

I will update the playoff picture as well. Wofford looked good. If they keep winning and rising in the polls, then a Furman win could still get Furman a seed still, but it depends on rest of field. Paladins need to win out though. With only 11 games, Wofford really needs to be 8-3 for a sure shot. With Clemson looming, that means they can't lose a conf game again. They are a long shot at 7-4. UTC has an ugly closing schedule. Don't think they will survive unscathed, but they would be looking good at 9-3 if they win out. At 4-4 overall VMI would have to win out to have a shot and that doesn't seem likely. Also at 4-4 The Citadel would have to win out as well and that is more likely, and with a scalp glaring at the committee it would be hard to ignore them if they did for a possible at large. Everyone else is pretty much out unless Samford or Mercer win out conf play and win some weird tie breaker. It could be a fur ball before its over.

BearDownMU
October 19th, 2019, 07:37 PM
I haven't seen the official numbers, but just based on watching the broadcast, attendance at Five Star Stadium in Macon today was around 23,456.

FUBeAR
October 19th, 2019, 07:50 PM
I haven't seen the official numbers, but just based on watching the broadcast, attendance at Five Star Stadium in Macon today was around 23,456.I counted 23,457

Milktruck74
October 19th, 2019, 10:57 PM
FuBear may become an Elon fan...Because he is rising from the Ashes like a Phoenix.....Of course does Mercer beating VMI offset the Furple getting trounced by Citadel?

gofurman
October 20th, 2019, 08:28 AM
So I will toot my horn. Pretty damn close on a couple of these. Only blew my Dogs winning. But got the scores pretty dang close.

I will update the playoff picture as well. Wofford looked good. If they keep winning and rising in the polls, then a Furman win could still get Furman a seed still, but it depends on rest of field. Paladins need to win out though. With only 11 games, Wofford really needs to be 8-3 for a sure shot. With Clemson looming, that means they can't lose a conf game again. They are a long shot at 7-4. UTC has an ugly closing schedule. Don't think they will survive unscathed, but they would be looking good at 9-3 if they win out. At 4-4 overall VMI would have to win out to have a shot and that doesn't seem likely. Also at 4-4 The Citadel would have to win out as well and that is more likely, and with a scalp glaring at the committee it would be hard to ignore them if they did for a possible at large. Everyone else is pretty much out unless Samford or Mercer win out conf play and win some weird tie breaker. It could be a fur ball before its over.

because of our ranking I think if Furman loses one more they have a shot at an at large at 8-4. Not that the committee looks at anything in depth but you drop the two CLOSE FBS losses (which look better each week as Georgia State now beat Army and VTEch beat Miami and UNC) and an 8-4 Furman is really 8-2. Then you also drop the win on NAIA POINT and we would be 7-2 and top 20-25 FCS. I don't see how you don't invite a 7-2 top20 FCS team. especially when you drop the ivies and possibly HBCU team.

thoughts? 7-2? top 20? that's if we lose another. If we win out the autobid is ours as we would have H2H on Chatt

gofurman
October 20th, 2019, 08:34 AM
I assume that Grainger is physically ok, or else he wouldn't have been run out there all game. The only explanation I have is that he couldn't find a release point on the throws. Guys were open - he just couldn't hit them.

check your PM - thanks !!!

ElCid
October 20th, 2019, 11:44 AM
because of our ranking I think if Furman loses one more they have a shot at an at large at 8-4. Not that the committee looks at anything in depth but you drop the two CLOSE FBS losses (which look better each week as Georgia State now beat Army and VTEch beat Miami and UNC) and an 8-4 Furman is really 8-2. Then you also drop the win on NAIA POINT and we would be 7-2 and top 20-25 FCS. I don't see how you don't invite a 7-2 top20 FCS team. especially when you drop the ivies and possibly HBCU team.

thoughts? 7-2? top 20? that's if we lose another. If we win out the autobid is ours as we would have H2H on Chatt

As always, since it is not in a vacuum, it depends on the rest of the field. An 8-4 Bulldog team who has a P5 scalp and beat Furman looks even better😁. I hope you win out. Makes us look even better.

gofurman
October 20th, 2019, 01:32 PM
As always, since it is not in a vacuum, it depends on the rest of the field. An 8-4 Bulldog team who has a P5 scalp and beat Furman looks even better. I hope you win out. Makes us look even better.

you are right there is no vacuum, what you posit for Citadel didn't work for us last year as we tied ETSU and Woff for SoCon champ and had the best win beating top 10 Woff 34-14 and we were the team they left at home (to be fair we were 6-4 w the Colgate cancel so it was a weird scenario)

I hope you beat Woff and Chatt !