PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 10-7

JALMOND
October 7th, 2019, 09:18 PM
It is still early but it looks like the race for the Big Sky conference title is coming down to four teams (and no, UC Davis and Eastern Washington are not included). Still a lot of football left to play of course until Thanksgiving weekend and the start of the playoffs. Still a lot left to decide. Here are this week's Big Sky conference power rankings (last week's ranking in parenthesis). All are my opinion as usual. Is it truly a four team race or will there be more surprises?

1. Montana (1)---Last week beat Idaho State at home 59-20, this week bye---It took about one quarter for the Grizzlies to get going last week but when they did, the Bengals did not know what hit them. They get an extra week to prepare for Sacramento State.

2. Weber State (2)---Last week won at Idaho 41-35, this week Southern Utah at home---The score looked closer than it was last week but the Wildcats kept the Vandals at arms length from the start. They now get their in-state brethren from the south at home.

3. Montana State (3)---Last week won at Cal Poly in overtime 34-28, this week Sacramento State at home---The Bobcats had it pretty tough on the road last week, having to go to overtime to eke out a win. They return home this week to face a strong Sacramento State team.

4. Sacramento State (6)---Last week beat Eastern Washington at home 48-27, this week at Montana State---Are the Hornets for real? Last week they took down a conference heavy at home, looking very impressive. Now they have an interesting stretch coming up. A good test.

5. UC Davis (4)---Last week lost at North Dakota 38-36, this week Cal Poly at home---The Aggies have not seemed to be the same team since they lost at North Dakota State. Last week's loss was a major blow to their playoff hopes. Another loss this week could speak doom.

6. Northern Arizona (8)---Last week beat Northern Colorado at home 41-23, this week bye---Speaking of starting slowly, the Lumberjacks found themselves down at halftime last week, but they rallied for a much needed win. They get an off week this week.

7. Eastern Washington (5)---Last week lost at Sacramento State 48-27, this week Northern Colorado at home---To say the season has not gone as expected for the Eagles would be an understatement. They lost for the first time at Sacramento State. Now they should win this week, but will they?

8. Cal Poly (9)---Last week lost to Montana State at home in overtime 34-28, this week at UC Davis---The Mustangs have been staying competitive in games so far, taking one of the conference heavies to overtime last week. They get a reeling UC Davis squad this week. Can they get the win?

9. Idaho State (7)---Last week lost at Montana 59-20, this week North Dakota at home---The Bengals looked really good last week at Montana for one quarter, then wilted away after that. Their defense needs to get back up to speed this weekend for them to have any shot.

10. Idaho (10)---Last week lost to Weber State at home 41-35, this week at Portland State---The Vandals defense had a rough go last week in trying to stop a tough Weber State team. They will need the defense to show up this weekend for a shot at a win.

11. Portland State (12)---Last week beat Southern Utah at home 52-31, this week Idaho at home---The Vikings broke through and got a conference win last week in their friendly confines in the Portland suburbs. The trick for them is to sustain it and another strong opponent comes to town.

12. Northern Colorado (11)---Last week lost at Northern Arizona 41-23, this week at Eastern Washington---Surprisingly, the Bears hung with Northern Arizona for the first half and kept things interesting, but still lost. Another trip on the road to the reeling Eastern Washington team.

13. Southern Utah (13)---Last week lost at Portland State 52-31, this week at Weber State---The Thunderbirds let their best shot at a conference win fall by the wayside last week. Now they can only hope for a surprise somewhere as a tough stretch of games loom for them.

RECAP: 1-2 out front, 3-4 just behind them, 5-9 a ways back, 10-12 falling, 13 off the pace.

wapiti
October 7th, 2019, 10:02 PM
I agree with your rankings.

My Tiers are
Tier 1: 1-4
Tier 2: 5-8
Tier 3: 9-13

SactoHornetFan
October 8th, 2019, 09:55 AM
1) Montana: They are a good team, but the question still remains are they a great team? They get a week to rest to prepare for the Hornets.
2) Montana State: Defensively, they took a step back this past week and nearly reversed the game they had against NAU when Poly roared back to force OT. This week, they host a Hornet team out to prove they belong in the upper echelon.
3) Weber State: They jumped out to big lead against Idaho and held on for the one-score win. This week, they play little brother for Homecoming in Ogden.
4) Sacramento State: Finally beat the Eagles at home and with a defensive performance that has everyone talking throughout the conference. The Hornets continue to get better and better. Up to Bozeman this Saturday for the GOTW against the Bobcats.
5) Northern Arizona: The Jacks reversed their fortunes they had against MSU and had an explosive second half against UNC. A bye week to rest, recover and prepare to go to Ogden in two weeks.
6) Eastern Washington: What a fall from grace the Eagles have been.
7) UC Davis: What a fall from grace the Aggies have been.
8) Portland State: Nice win at home for PSU against SUU. Can the Viks sustain that kind of effort against teams higher up in the standings/rankings is the question...
9) Cal Poly: Poly roared back from a 28-7 4th quarter deficit only to have heartbreak in OT at home against MSU. This week, a rivalry game at the UC ag school. Will the Mustangs win back the Golden Horseshoe against a depleted ag defense?
10) Idaho State: Jumped out to a 17-0 in Missoula and then completely fell apart. And the same in my weekly rankings.
11) Idaho: Well, they competed against Weber at home, but the Vandals are a disaster still and the natives have pretty much given up on Petrino and crew.
12) Northern Colorado: Blew a 20-10 lead in the 3rd quarter at NAU. This week gets even worse going to EWU and facing a mad Eagle bunch. Doesn't look pretty for Collins and Co.
13) Southern Utah: The T-Birds follow up a blowout loss at PSU to go to Weber this weekend. I predict an even bigger loss.

BadlandsGrizFan
October 8th, 2019, 10:52 AM
1. Montana....I hate saying this due to my PTSD from the Stitt years...but this team is looking more every week that they can beat anyone. Theres just more talent on offense than almost any team you will see in FCS..they have an amazingly gritty leader in Sneed, and the defense continues to play better and at a high level. Special teams are the best across the board probably in the nation. Theyre looking like contenders and should be in the BSC Championship convo.

2.Weber. Defense is as good as it gets, and because of it they will be in every single game they play. If the offense can continue to improve, they are national title contenders.

3. Montana State.....it goes against everything we know about football. The Cats are winning weekly without a QB. The rest of the roster is just so good across the board, specifically their offensive line and defensive lines, they are bullying out victories. I do think the lack of a QB has to cost them a game somewhere down the line, either in the Brawl or the playoffs.

4. Sac State......they are a team that will beat you if you dont play your top game. Strong QB play will have them in every game.

5.UC Davis....I refuse to beleive this isnt a good football team. Theyre just completely down on themselves and may not recover from it. No Confidence.

6. Idaho State...ISU has flashed talent to play with anyone in the BSC. If they can play 4 full quarters to match their talent they have at QB..RB..and WR they can be dangerous.

7. EWU...what the hell happened to these guys. This years team has me questioning the new coach. I still wouldnty be surprised if they did something like knock off Montana in Missoula coming out of the bye week. They have enough talent.

Everyone else.....non relevant.