PDA

View Full Version : Kennesaw State University officially looking at football

CCU97
May 8th, 2007, 05:56 PM
As reported on the local Fox TV station in Atlanta....

KSU launches a study to see if football is viable at Kennesaw State. Maybe yet another FCS football team being added in Atlanta. Good luck to Kennesaw State and hopefully they will join the ranks of FCS football in the near future!

What does everyone else think?

Eyes of Old Main
May 8th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Adding Kennesaw State would be good from a location perspective. I don't really know much about the school so I can't speak for it from a culture standpoint.

Seems like my impression is that they are a commuter school, but I don't know what I base that off of. How well do they support their other sports programs?

bobbythekidd
May 8th, 2007, 06:17 PM
http://www.mdjonline.com/articles/2007/03/11/268/10250755.txt

CCU97
May 8th, 2007, 08:10 PM
They are a commuter school but have plenty of housing near campus as well that has many of their students....The school has possibility...as one student stated on the Fox interview....they go to UGA and Tech games since KSU doesn't have a team....if KSU gets a team that can change....

Ronbo
May 8th, 2007, 08:22 PM
They are talking FBS football in that article.

TexasTerror
May 8th, 2007, 08:37 PM
They are talking FBS football in that article.

No chance they go to FBS...though if they did, they'd be attractive for the Sun Belt...they'll start in FCS and may end up sticking around for awhile...

Eyes of Old Main
May 8th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Leading conference candidate? Big South?

Tod
May 8th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Leading conference candidate? Big South?

How about Great West, we could use them out here. xsmiley_wix :D

catamount man
May 8th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Kennesaw State and Georgia State, welcome to the SoCon.xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

PantherRob82
May 8th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Would be great to add some new blood. Can't imagine them going FBS.

Fresno St. Alum
May 8th, 2007, 11:11 PM

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!
Georgia St. would have to go to the CAA since it's their all sports conference.

There is an article that has been up on the helmet project website under future football teams about kennesaw St. adding for a year now.

Fresno St. Alum
May 8th, 2007, 11:12 PM
here it is

Kennesaw State (Kennesaw, GA) - "'We have an extraordinary interest in football, especially by our students,' said Kennesaw State president Betty Siegel. 'We will explore the possibility of football. ... There is strong community and trustee support.'"..."'Obviously that concept was resounding through this room,' said Kennesaw State trustee Stan Dysart after Wednesday's press conference. 'The community wants football. Students want it. Trustees want it. The faculty support it. The president wants it.' Dysart is heading the school's feasibility study for adding football." (source: article by Charles Odum, Associated Press, January 2005)

rufus
May 9th, 2007, 05:54 AM
Georgia St. would have to go to the CAA since it's their all sports conference.
But if the SoCon wanted to take Georgia State, I'm pretty sure most of the CAA wouldn't object. xrolleyesx

JaxSinfonian
May 9th, 2007, 07:18 AM
KSU could be a replacement for Samford in the OVC. Jacksonville to Kennesaw is just an 80-mile drive. We have played them in other sports since their D-I move.

89Hen
May 9th, 2007, 08:34 AM
But if the SoCon wanted to take Georgia State, I'm pretty sure most of the CAA wouldn't object. xrolleyesx
Agreed. xnodx

89Hen
May 9th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Don't know a thing about Kennesaw State, but somebody should tell them that Kennesaw is not a state. Can anyone share some general info on them?

walliver
May 9th, 2007, 09:03 AM
I heard rumors several years ago that Danny Morrison (former SoCon commissioner) had expressed interest in Kennessaw State as a potential SoCon member. It would add Atlanta to the geographic distribution of the conference. Unfortunately, in Atlanta it will alway be UGA and GT, and then everybody else a distant third.

A map of Georgia's State Universities (http://www.usg.edu/inst/map.phtml).

andy7171
May 9th, 2007, 09:14 AM

Agreed. xnodx
I second this!

henfan
May 9th, 2007, 09:27 AM
I second this!

We'll see. The jury is still out on GSU. If the CAA adds another school from the Carolinas or GA, GSU will make perfect sense.

KSU could potentially be a SoCon target before GSU, in any case.

MplsBison
May 9th, 2007, 09:28 AM
First of all, why in the Georgia university system are Valdosta and GA Southern singled out as being merely "regional universities" while Kennesaw and many others have the title "state universities"?

As far as KSU football goes, it's a no brainer if they can raise the money.

Big South bound for sure.

They have plenty of room for on campus facilities as well.

Right next to interstate highway too.

Seems natural.

DetroitFlyer
May 9th, 2007, 09:36 AM
I thought I read somewhere that they would start out as an FCS non-scholarship program.... I wonder if they will be attending the Patty V. fantasy conference this summer? They would be a convenient opponent for Davidson, Jacksonville and Campbell.... At this rate, the PFL could end up as a 16 team league, LOL!

dbackjon
May 9th, 2007, 09:37 AM
REgional implies MORE than the state. Georgia Southern is ranked AHEAD of KSU in the hierarchy.

tsutiger
May 9th, 2007, 09:44 AM
As someone who has lived in the Metro Atlanta Area since 2000 and having taken classes at Georgia State. IMO, KSU has a better shot at 1AA then Georgia State. Mainly location. KSU has land to build a stadium that could create a good college atmosphere. GSU is looking to play in the Georgia Dome. KSU is away from the city and could build a decent following from the Kennessaw/Cobb/Gwinette County community. Where GSU is downtown, where you compete directly with the Falcons and GT.

KSU could be a replacement for Samford in the OVC. Jacksonville to Kennesaw is just an 80-mile drive. We have played them in other sports since their D-I move.

Why are you so quick to add an upstart? The OVC needs a team to improve comference strength, not decrease it.

JDC325
May 9th, 2007, 10:33 AM
First of all, why in the Georgia university system are Valdosta and GA Southern singled out as being merely "regional universities" while Kennesaw and many others have the title "state universities"?

As far as KSU football goes, it's a no brainer if they can raise the money.

Big South bound for sure.

They have plenty of room for on campus facilities as well.

Right next to interstate highway too.

Seems natural.

Regional is a higher classification.

MplsBison
May 9th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Hmm...so a university that serves a region of a state is higher than a university that serves the whole state.

I guess.

Anyway, speaking of the regional schools in GA, any chance that Valdosta would move up?

dbackjon
May 9th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Hmm...so a university that serves a region of a state is higher than a university that serves the whole state.

I guess.

Anyway, speaking of the regional schools in GA, any chance that Valdosta would move up?

Region refers to the SOUTHERN region...i.e. beyond the state. This is the classification that accrediting bodies use. So no, it DOES NOT imply that GSU is only serving a region of the state, but a region of the COUNTRY. Learn the terminology before you criticize/make snide comments.

JDC325
May 9th, 2007, 12:24 PM

I guess.

Hmmm... did it say state regional or just regional....Hmmm

xcoffeex

MplsBison
May 9th, 2007, 02:36 PM
So the Georgia system is pompous enough to label two of its undergraduate teaching schools as "serving students outside our state", yet labels their flagship research universities for a statewide mission.

Nice try.

It's state regional.

dbackjon
May 9th, 2007, 02:41 PM
So the Georgia system is pompous enough to label two of its undergraduate teaching schools as "serving students outside our state", yet labels their flagship research universities for a statewide mission.

Nice try.

It's state regional.

you are the most ignorant person I have ever had the misfortune of coming across on a message board.

Officially on ignore.

MplsBison
May 9th, 2007, 03:54 PM
My logical arguments are so devastating that you have no choice left but to stick your head in the sand.

Fresno St. Alum
May 9th, 2007, 04:00 PM

I guess.

Valdosta St. says it's not ready to move up right now and it would be more likely for W.Georgia to move up first when they hit 15k in enrollment. Something that could fast track a move up is if the Arkansas schools in the GSC split with the eastern schools. There have been rumors of that too. Thats what I heard on the D-II board, back in the day when it actually was up and running.xsmhx

Fresno St. Alum
May 9th, 2007, 04:05 PM
89hen & Rufus, are you thinking that if Ga. St. adds football they will leave for all sports in the Big South? Or is this wishful think for the both of you? I don't think they could be a football only, most conferences have a rule that if it sponsors that sport the school in the conference has to play in it if they have a team for it. Morehead St.,Davidson are exceptions because of being non scholly.

g-webb1994
May 9th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Georgia State or Kennesaw State becoming full 100% members in the Big South helps tremendously, even if they are just beginning football.

Fresno St. Alum
May 9th, 2007, 04:25 PM
CAA is a better conference than the Big South so the only reason I could see Ga. St. leave is if they don't like traveling up and down the east coast to play conference games.

MplsBison
May 9th, 2007, 04:45 PM
No doubt Ga State would be CAA, assuming the CAA would let them in.

rufus
May 9th, 2007, 06:35 PM
89hen & Rufus, are you thinking that if Ga. St. adds football they will leave for all sports in the Big South? Or is this wishful think for the both of you? I don't think they could be a football only, most conferences have a rule that if it sponsors that sport the school in the conference has to play in it if they have a team for it. Morehead St.,Davidson are exceptions because of being non scholly.
Wishful thinking only. Unless travel costs became a huge issue, I couldn't see Georgia State leaving the CAA for the Big South. It doesn't make sense to leave an autobid football conference and multi-bid basketball conference. With that said, I would happily accept the idea of giving Gerogia State the boot if a more desirable candidate becomes available.

Fresno St. Alum
May 9th, 2007, 06:37 PM
plus Ga. St. would make a 14th football member for balance

PantherRob82
May 9th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Wishful thinking only. Unless travel costs became a huge issue, I couldn't see Georgia State leaving the CAA for the Big South. It doesn't make sense to leave an autobid football conference and multi-bid basketball conference. With that said, I would happily accept the idea of giving Gerogia State the boot if a more desirable candidate becomes available.

CAA is a multi bid basketball conference?

Fresno St. Alum
May 9th, 2007, 07:00 PM
ODU & VCU

last year George Mason & UNCW

they seem to be the new A-10 top to bottom the CAA is better right now

PantherRob82
May 9th, 2007, 08:00 PM
ODU & VCU

Ok, I just figured those two years were the exception and not the rule.

Fresno St. Alum
May 9th, 2007, 08:03 PM
we will find out over time.

rufus
May 9th, 2007, 08:11 PM
ODU & VCU

In addition to the two bids, it's generally accepted that the CAA had the last team out in 2006 (Hofstra) and 2007 (Drexel). I know "last out" isn't a bid, but it shows that we've been on the border of 2-3 teams for the past couple years. In any event, the CAA has certainly had better all around performance than the Big South. A football autobid doesn't hurt our cause either.

Fresno St. Alum
May 9th, 2007, 08:23 PM
yes, all true. hopefully the CAA can stay neck & neck with the A-10 for good, in b-ball. Football has always been solid.

I do hope KSU would have schollys, they would be a no-brainer for the Big South if they did.

ChooChoo
May 9th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Georgia State will not be joining the Big South, nor will we be going to the Southern Conference. We will start as an independent in football, join the CAA in league play a couple of years after that, and in due time will jump to FBS.
This will never be discussed publicly but that's the plan. It will all depend on the level of early success, money, and fan support we experience. The Sunbelt, C-USA, and the Big East have all expressed interest in Georgia State in recent years. Membership was always predicated on having football. Georgia State is taking huge measures to reshape its campus, its image, and its profile in the state and region. Now I'm not suggesting that the Big East and C-USA is ready to accept us, but as we have all seen nothing lasts forever and conference affiliations are due to change again. With the help of Dan Reeves, I feel confident that GSU will be prepared to position itself into one of those spots when the opportunity arises. I know thats lofty talk by me about a school with no football team and little fan support, but huge changes are on the horizon.
So for my CAA brothers who so eagerly want to keep your affiliates with schools that will never reach a football fanbase of 10k, be careful what you wish for. We may not be much now, but within 6 years Georgia State will have options.

Husky Alum
May 10th, 2007, 05:13 AM
The Big East expressed interest in Georgia State?

For what? Practice facilities for the NCAA Tournament when it was held in the Georgia Dome?

Come on, get real.

Please provide some legitimate references for that claim.

henfan
May 10th, 2007, 07:56 AM
No doubt Ga State would be CAA, assuming the CAA would let them in.

It's not a matter of 'letting' GSU in. The CAA has already guaranteed FB conference membership to any of its core members who start FB programs. This includes ODU (done deal), GSU and George Mason. FB is not on the radar for UNC-Wilmington, Virginia Commonwealth or Drexel and may never be.

MplsBison
May 10th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Drexel for sure never. But I don't see why UNCW or VCU couldn't.

They easily could if they had some vision.

ChooChoo
May 10th, 2007, 09:25 AM
The Big East expressed interest in Georgia State?

For what? Practice facilities for the NCAA Tournament when it was held in the Georgia Dome?

Come on, get real.

Please provide some legitimate references for that claim.

Lefty Driesell was the source. That is my claim. These conversations took place while he coached at State. It has subsequently been discussed many times amongst people "in the know". They are aware that the potential to move up is there if we have the right resources and fan support. Since it's not in an article written by an outside reporter I suppose you won't consider it a "legitimate" source, but it occurred. Otherwise, Lefty was lying.

SoccerSmells
May 10th, 2007, 11:13 AM
I can tell you from a first hand source WITHIN the gates of Kennesaw State ... They have NO interest in the FCS. It's FBS or bust for them as a football program. Don't think they can sell FCS football in metro Atlanta, whereas they'd be just the third FBS program in the state.

Strange, but true.

MplsBison
May 10th, 2007, 11:43 AM
I don't think so.

Atlanta supports UGA and Tech and that's it.

henfan
May 10th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Drexel for sure never. But I don't see why UNCW or VCU couldn't.

They easily could if they had some vision.

Aside from the interest and will of the respective communities (admin, alum & students) to want to fund FB, it also takes millions of ducats. In the case of UNCW & VCU, they'd need to construct entirely new facilities in addition to funding the FB start-ups. It just seems so incredibly unlikely in both cases. UNC-at-the-Beach would seem more capable of a FB start-up than either Drexel or VCU, but nobody in the CAA has even a remote hope of any of that happening anytime soon. George Mason is the next realistic target, I think.

Ol Blue
May 10th, 2007, 12:15 PM
I must assume it takes time, money, fan support, facilities, coaches, scholarships, etc. etc. etc. to have an FBS program.

Doesn't that take a few years to assemble (10-15), or is there a jump start program somewhere I'm not aware of?

UAalum72
May 10th, 2007, 01:09 PM
I must assume it takes time, money, fan support, facilities, coaches, scholarships, etc. etc. etc. to have an FBS program.

Doesn't that take a few years to assemble (10-15), or is there a jump start program somewhere I'm not aware of?
Florida Atlantic hired Howard Schnellenberger in May, 1998 to start fundraising, kicked off I-AA football in 2001, and opened their first full I-A season in September, 2005. You can debate if KSU has the resources of FAU, or if FAU is successful, or if the reality matched the expectations and the hype, but their trip took 7 years.

SoccerSmells
May 10th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Trust me. They aren't even considering FCS football. IF they decide on football, they'll go about building it as an FBS program. Whether that's feasible or not is part of the ongoing study. This isn't even an FCS discussion really. Not sure where anyone got the idea that they were considering FCS football from on here. They're not.

SoccerSmells
May 10th, 2007, 01:59 PM
To simplify: If the findings reveal that FBS football isn't a possibility, Kennesaw State won't be playing football at all.

dbackjon
May 10th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Trust me. They aren't even considering FCS football. IF they decide on football, they'll go about building it as an FBS program. Whether that's feasible or not is part of the ongoing study. This isn't even an FCS discussion really. Not sure where anyone got the idea that they were considering FCS football from on here. They're not.

They'd jump straight to FBS, or go the FAU route with a few years in FCS to get their feet wet, then onto FBS?

bobbythekidd
May 10th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Adding a football team to Kennesaw State University’s athletic program may sound like a good idea‚ but according to presidential hopeful Dan Papp‚ it’s just not economically feasible.

“I wouldn’t be opposed to it‚ but where’s the $10 to $15 million coming from to fund it?” Papp asked rhetorically during a campus open forum Jan. 12. “You’d need an endowment – a large one – and then there’s the question of a stadium that could seat 25‚000 or more people; Cobb County doesn’t have one.”

http://acsdevl.kennesaw.edu/access/story.asp?sto=227

MplsBison
May 10th, 2007, 02:59 PM
they'd need to construct entirely new facilities

They both have soccer stadiums, right?

Fresno St. Alum
May 10th, 2007, 06:04 PM
I thought that Kennesaw St. was looking at non-scholly if anything when I saw the article on the helmet project last year. Then you guys made it sound like they were gonna have schollys. Sounds like no football for now.

dback, they can't jump straight to FBS they would have to play a couple years in FCS first.

SoccerSmells, The FBS findings. If Texas St. goes to the Sun belt, KSU will find that the conference is full and they would be an FBS Indy.

JaxSinfonian
May 10th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Why are you so quick to add an upstart? The OVC needs a team to improve comference strength, not decrease it.

That's not my preference, but I don't see many other options. Do you? UTC said no, and Samford's bolted. To keep this JSU fan happy, candidates for expansion will need to be south of Nashville and west of the Mississippi. My first choice would be North Alabama on a move up from D-II. They're no upstart, and would be an immediate contender in football. Sadly, they seem to have no interest in D-I. Kennesaw would be OK, though it sounds as if they're more likely to be thinking Sun Belt ... Georgia's FAU/FIU. If Georgia State can pull together a program, they'll have an automatic home in the CAA. West Georgia's even closer to JSU than KSU, but I just don't know about that institution. They've been playing D-II ball in a high school stadium for decades. They'd really have to show me they've got a vision.

That's about all I see ... unless maybe you think Alabama A&M could be talked into leaving the SWAC. I know ... it'd never happen, but they'd be a great fit.

Fresno St. Alum
May 10th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Jaxsinfonian, N.Alabama is the home of the D-II Hall of Fame or the D-II football HOF, so I guess they're stuck there. The people from W.Georgia on the D-II board said that once the school hits 15k students which they think is in 5-7 years they will move to D-I.

OVC only options would be a new FCS team in the area or adding SIUE with no football, but they want schools with football. I don't know why, they have 9 that play in the OVC plus Morehead St. who doesn't. Getting non-football schools could still work. N.Kentucky & Bellarmine(KY) are also looking to move to D-I (no FB) 9 FB 12 B-Ball would look good to me. Take 2 of the 3 newbies.

JaxSinfonian
May 10th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Jaxsinfonian, N.Alabama is the home of the D-II Hall of Fame or the D-II football HOF, so I guess they're stuck there.
Jax State fans are familiar with Florence, I assure you. But your logic is ... interesting. I'd be darned if my school let the presence of some collection of NCAA memorabilia determine the future of its athletic programs. If the Lions ever move up, I think the HoF will muddle through somehow.

OVC only options would be a new FCS team in the area or adding SIUE with no football, but they want schools with football. I don't know why, they have 9 that play in the OVC plus Morehead St. who doesn't. Getting non-football schools could still work. N.Kentucky & Bellarmine(KY) are also looking to move to D-I (no FB) 9 FB 12 B-Ball would look good to me. Take 2 of the 3 newbies.
For JSU (or at least this fan), the OVC got a bit less comfortable with Safmord's exit, and if you're not growing in FCS, you're shrinking. Not that JSU's happiness should drive all of the conference's decisions, but if it matters at all then they'll need another school serious about football down here in our neighborhood, not one that moves the center of gravity farther north or west.

Fresno St. Alum
May 11th, 2007, 01:43 AM
When I was talking about N.Alabama and if they would move up on the D-II board last year. The UNA fans just said it wasn't an option because they were the home of the D-II hof. What I notice on here and in D-II is that the fans are very protective of their level of football ripping anyone who leaves to move up. So maybe UNA can look passed being the D-II hof and move to the FCS where they belong but who knows.

JaxSinfonian
May 11th, 2007, 07:21 AM
The UNA fans just said it wasn't an option because they were the home of the D-II hof.

Fair enough. It's their logic, not yours. Interesting nonetheless. If that view is widespread, then UNA is just as you said: stuck.

g-webb1994
May 11th, 2007, 09:29 AM
UNA and Carson-Newman are two programs that could move up a level tomorrow and be competitive immediately, but won't because they know they have a good thing in D-2.

JDC325
May 11th, 2007, 02:51 PM

Nice try.

It's state regional.

Actually GSU is a Carnegie Doctoral Research Institution. SEE HERE http://www.georgiasouthern.edu/majors/grad.php You can get your masters and doctorate degrees in multiple programs. You might want to actually educate yourself first before wasting keystrokes or other peoples time. Regional is one step below UGA's classification of the STATE classification of RESEARCH institution. Our next step which will be happening probably in the near future is move up ONE level to be recognized officially by the board of regents as a research institution.

Ignorant : destitute of knowledge or education <an ignorant society>; also : lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified <parents ignorant of modern mathematics> b : resulting from or showing lack of knowledge or intelligence

MplsBison
May 11th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Actually GSU is a Carnegie Doctoral Research Institution.

http://www.carnegiefoundation.org/classifications/sub.asp?key=748&subkey=13953&start=782

the number of doctoral degrees is within 5 of the Master's/Doctoral boundary

http://www.carnegiefoundation.org/classifications/index.asp?key=791

Doctorate-granting Universities. Includes institutions that award at least 20 doctoral degrees per year

Congrats on granting 25 PhD! You are the bastion of higher learning in the nation!

JDC325
May 11th, 2007, 04:34 PM
http://www.carnegiefoundation.org/classifications/sub.asp?key=748&subkey=13953&start=782

http://www.carnegiefoundation.org/classifications/index.asp?key=791

Congrats on granting 25 PhD! You are the bastion of higher learning in the nation!

Considering we have only been a University for less than twenty years I would say it is not to bad going from a small College to what we are today but I am sure you knew how fast GSU grown in such a short period of time. Dont be jealous just because your school is getting passed by, by what was once just a small local college in less than 20 years. BTW you were and are still wrong which is evidenced by your weak attempt at a cheap shot a sure sign of losing an arguement or debate. Can someone confirm, did this guy win most annoying poster last year?

bobbythekidd
May 11th, 2007, 04:37 PM
West Georgia's even closer to JSU than KSU, but I just don't know about that institution. They've been playing D-II ball in a high school stadium for decades. They'd really have to show me they've got a vision.

I remember reading that they were building one, a link to the article was on the DivII board. Sorry I can't post it.

bobbythekidd
May 11th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Can someone confirm, did this guy win most annoying poster last year?
confirmed.

JDC325
May 11th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Nevermind this explains it....

ANNOYING POSTER OF THE YEAR
18.87% MplsBison
9.43% detroitflyer
7.55% umassfan
5.66% mainejeff
5.66% DaveK
5.66% D1B
5.66% 89Hen
3.77% CatfishCCU
3.77% Ronbo
3.77% HLecter
3.77% citdog
3.77% Cap'n Cat

PantherRob82
May 11th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Nevermind this explains it....

ANNOYING POSTER OF THE YEAR
18.87% MplsBison
9.43% detroitflyer
7.55% umassfan
5.66% mainejeff
5.66% DaveK
5.66% D1B
5.66% 89Hen
3.77% CatfishCCU
3.77% Ronbo
3.77% HLecter
3.77% citdog
3.77% Cap'n Cat

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Fresno St. Alum
May 11th, 2007, 06:56 PM
UNA and Carson-Newman are two programs that could move up a level tomorrow and be competitive immediately, but won't because they know they have a good thing in D-2.
From what I hear on the D-II board Wingate would be the next to leave the SAC for D-I and try for the Big South. All rumors though no proof.

mathman
September 8th, 2007, 06:29 PM
If they release Georgia State with no pecuniary penalties they might be willing to jump ship. The SoCon is a much better fit geographically and the travel costs in the CAA are killing them.

mathman
September 8th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Don't know a thing about Kennesaw State, but somebody should tell them that Kennesaw is not a state. Can anyone share some general info on them?
The 'State' label just means it is a state supported school. Kennesaw State is in the University System of Georgia. Troy used to be Troy State as they are supported by the state of Alabama but for some reason they decided to drop the 'State'. I guess they thought Troy University sounded better. KSU used to be Kennesaw College then they added State because they thought it sounded better. And later they changed 'College' to 'University'. A lot of Georgia's state supported schools did that because it made them sound more important. Kids apparently like the word 'University' rather than 'College' and the University System of Georgia was trying to convince kids to go to other system schools rather beg to get into the University of Georgia. Naturally UGA would take the best students and still does (except for Georgia Tech).

brownbear
September 8th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Where's the state of Appalachian? There's a good example.

Actually, I think Kennesaw is now the 2nd largest school in Georgia now behind UGA. The weirdest one in terms of college/university nomenclature is Georgia College & State University in Milledgeville. Georgia University was already taken, so they call it that. I've always thought they should call the schools UGA-Atlanta (Georgia State), UGA-Kennesaw (Kennesaw State), UGA-Statesboro (Georgia Southern), etc. like they do in a lot of states. Instead, schools like Kennesaw are unknown outside of Georgia.

mathman
September 8th, 2007, 06:51 PM
As someone who has lived in the Metro Atlanta Area since 2000 and having taken classes at Georgia State. IMO, KSU has a better shot at 1AA then Georgia State. Mainly location. KSU has land to build a stadium that could create a good college atmosphere. GSU is looking to play in the Georgia Dome. KSU is away from the city and could build a decent following from the Kennessaw/Cobb/Gwinette County community. Where GSU is downtown, where you compete directly with the Falcons and GT.
I agree with this except the land part. KSU is pretty much maxed out for land unless of course if it wants to sacrifice some of its 'greenspace' and apparently they don't. KSU is seeking out more land for growth. Their president thinks KSU at present can grow to 25,000 students and with more land they think they can grow to 35,000.

Georgia State doesn't have a campus to speak of in the traditional sense so tailgating on campus just can't be done. If Pitt is struggling to fill Heinz Field in Pittsburgh just imagine GSU in the Georgia Dome. Won't be a pretty sight with all those empty seats.

mathman
September 8th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Region refers to the SOUTHERN region...i.e. beyond the state. This is the classification that accrediting bodies use. So no, it DOES NOT imply that GSU is only serving a region of the state, but a region of the COUNTRY. Learn the terminology before you criticize/make snide comments.
No, not really. It's a long story so I'll try to keep it brief.

The University System of Georgia had a plan in the early 1990's of reorganizing the university system. The idea was to make Georgia Tech, the University of Georgia, and the Medical College of Georgia the state supported Research Universities, and other schools would be Regional Universities with other schools "under" that regional university. The first selected school was Georgia Southern and I think Savannah State and Armstrong Atlantic would be under Georgia Southern. Next was Valdosta State but I don't recall what schools would be under them. Georgia State was going to be the regional university of the Atlanta region with Kennesaw, Southern Poly, Clayton, Georgia Perimeter, and Atlanta Metro under them.

Well it sort of fell through as alumni were playing politics to get their school named a Regional University. The Chancellor of the University System retired and a new Chancellor was brought in and the whole thing was quietly scrapped but the name Regional University for Georgia Southern and Valdosta stuck. Georgia State was already sort of a research university and it was later made official.

The Research Universities have their funding formula, and Regional Universities have their funding formula, State Universities have their forumla, etc. But lately, Kennesaw and West Georgia have the same funding formulas as Georgia Southern and Valdosta but why the state of Georgia hasn't named them as Regional Universities, I don't know. The Research Universities support full research with many doctoral programs while the Regional Universities are supposed to have 'limited' research. I don't see Georgia Southern becoming a research university any time soon because the state of Georgia is not flush with money plus they have a new school to support, Georgia Gwinnett, not to mention Kennesaw's continued growth.

mathman
September 8th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Ok, I just figured those two years were the exception and not the rule.
That year UNCW won the conference but George Mason was highly ranked so they got in. Ironically, Georgia State almost killed GMU's chances of making the Dance but lost just barely in the conference tournament to GMU. GSU came so close to winning and probably would have knocked GMU off the bubble.

mathman
September 8th, 2007, 07:40 PM
I can tell you from a first hand source WITHIN the gates of Kennesaw State ... They have NO interest in the FCS. It's FBS or bust for them as a football program. Don't think they can sell FCS football in metro Atlanta, whereas they'd be just the third FBS program in the state.

Strange, but true.
I've never heard of a startup program going straight to FBS (DI-A). Would they even be allowed at that level with no track record? For example, could they make the case that they could have sufficient attendance? Georgia Southern could justify moving up.

mathman
September 8th, 2007, 07:58 PM
I don't think so.

Atlanta supports UGA and Tech and that's it.
Even then, it's more weighted toward UGA. But true, I think any new FBS team let alone FCS would discover support hard to find in Georgia. Because of distance, Georgia Southern might have better luck but its market is somewhat small.

mathman
September 8th, 2007, 08:04 PM
To simplify: If the findings reveal that FBS football isn't a possibility, Kennesaw State won't be playing football at all.
Honestly, if true then Kennesaw should save the time and just kiss football goodbye. It would be insane to launch from nothing straight to FBS. The school's entire endowment is only about $30 million. They would need that much in their Athletic Department alone.

mathman
September 8th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Actually GSU is a Carnegie Doctoral Research Institution. SEE HERE http://www.georgiasouthern.edu/majors/grad.php You can get your masters and doctorate degrees in multiple programs. You might want to actually educate yourself first before wasting keystrokes or other peoples time. Regional is one step below UGA's classification of the STATE classification of RESEARCH institution. Our next step which will be happening probably in the near future is move up ONE level to be recognized officially by the board of regents as a research institution.
In terms of Carnegie Classification, UGA and Georgia Tech are Research Universities with very high research activity, Georgia State is a Research University with high research activity, and Georgia Southern is a Doctoral/Research University, Kennesaw State is a Master's Colleges and Universities level but they have started Doctoral programs of their own and will probably rise to Doctoral/Research University in the near future.

The state of Georgia arguably has a full plate so I don't know if they will fund Georgia Southern at the level of a Research University. UGA is pressuring to have Engineering and a Med school which will be expensive and they are the darling school of the state.

mathman
September 8th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Considering we have only been a University for less than twenty years I would say it is not to bad going from a small College to what we are today but I am sure you knew how fast GSU grown in such a short period of time. Dont be jealous just because your school is getting passed by, by what was once just a small local college in less than 20 years. BTW you were and are still wrong which is evidenced by your weak attempt at a cheap shot a sure sign of losing an arguement or debate. Can someone confirm, did this guy win most annoying poster last year?
The Board of Regents of Georgia pretty much handed out the 'University' name to any school with Masters or better programs so it's now not such a big deal. But I think Kennesaw might "pass" Georgia Southern. Their enrollment is almost 21,000 and like I said before, they are adding Doctoral programs.

mathman
September 8th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Where's the state of Appalachian? There's a good example.

Actually, I think Kennesaw is now the 2nd largest school in Georgia now behind UGA. The weirdest one in terms of college/university nomenclature is Georgia College & State University in Milledgeville. Georgia University was already taken, so they call it that. I've always thought they should call the schools UGA-Atlanta (Georgia State), UGA-Kennesaw (Kennesaw State), UGA-Statesboro (Georgia Southern), etc. like they do in a lot of states. Instead, schools like Kennesaw are unknown outside of Georgia.
No, Georgia State is still #2 but Kennesaw State is breathing down Georgia State's neck so to speak. Georgia State has around 26,000 and KSU is close to 21,000. Although at it's peak Georgia State had 28,000.

When the Georgia Board of Regents was tagging schools with 'University', Georgia College was a problem because calling it Georgia University could confuse it with Georgia State University or University of Georgia. But the Georgia College and State University just sounds weird. xeyebrowx

I think today schools prefer not to have the flagship school named attached to them. Sure it gives some prestige but it also makes it sound as if the schools were branch campuses when in fact they are not. And it causes confusion as well. Took me awhile to realize that Alabama and UAB were separate schools. :D

mathman
September 10th, 2007, 09:19 PM

Nice try.

It's state regional.

you are the most ignorant person I have ever had the misfortune of coming across on a message board.

Officially on ignore.
Don't ignore MplsBison for that reason. He's absolutely right. Georgia Southern is a state regional. Kennesaw State ought to soon be a regional but maybe the University System of Georgia regrets ever creating the regional classification so maybe they'll never be named as such but right now they are receiving the same level of funding as Georgia Southern and Valdosta.

As for Georgia State and their football drive, they've passed the $1 million mark with a soft goal of $2 million. The need more but they've set $2 million as an initial goal. I have no idea how Kennesaw State's fundraising is going.

If anyone is interested, Georgia Trend did a story on both Georgia State's and Kennesaw State's plans for football.

http://www.georgiatrend.com/cover-story/08_07_football.shtml

appfan2008
September 10th, 2007, 10:28 PM
having grown up my entire life before i came to app just 10 minutes away from ksu it sure would be awesome to see them start up football and i do think it would work really well as there is quite a bit of talent in that area

bandit
September 10th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Don't ignore MplsBison for that reason. He's absolutely right. Georgia Southern is a state regional. Kennesaw State ought to soon be a regional but maybe the University System of Georgia regrets ever creating the regional classification so maybe they'll never be named as such but right now they are receiving the same level of funding as Georgia Southern and Valdosta.

As for Georgia State and their football drive, they've passed the $1 million mark with a soft goal of $2 million. The need more but they've set $2 million as an initial goal. I have no idea how Kennesaw State's fundraising is going.

If anyone is interested, Georgia Trend did a story on both Georgia State's and Kennesaw State's plans for football.

http://www.georgiatrend.com/cover-story/08_07_football.shtml

interesting article. Sounds like Dan Reeves sees himself as possibly the first head coach at Georgia State.

brownbear
September 11th, 2007, 01:00 PM
I think Kennesaw having football probably makes more sense than Georgia State having football. Georgia State is a lot of commuter students and students who root for UGA and Georgia Tech, but Kennesaw seems to be more in its own territory. Since there is no nearby competition (within 30 miles), Kennesaw could definately have its own football program with a stadium with about 10,000 seats.

mathman
September 11th, 2007, 02:52 PM
I think Kennesaw having football probably makes more sense than Georgia State having football. Georgia State is a lot of commuter students and students who root for UGA and Georgia Tech, but Kennesaw seems to be more in its own territory. Since there is no nearby competition (within 30 miles), Kennesaw could definately have its own football program with a stadium with about 10,000 seats.
Kennesaw State is every bit as much a commuter school as Georgia State in terms of who lives on campus and who commutes. But what Georgia State lacks is a traditional campus but even so, KSU needs to acquire more land for growth and a football stadium. And KSU students' loyalties are likewise split between Tech and Georgia but most root for Georgia. I agree though that KSU's location in the heavily populated northern Atlanta burbs makes them a good candidate for a team. But I suspect that KSU students will root for a FCS KSU and FBS UGA. I think it would be insane for KSU to try for FBS until they demonstrate strong fan support at the FCS level.

brownbear
September 11th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Is KSU thinking about going straight to FBS? No teams have done that before, they all go to FCS first, even if it's just for two or three years like Florida Atlantic and Florida International did.

You're right about the on-campus thing. A big problem for GSU is that most of their dorms (for now) are actually across the street from Bobby Dodd Stadium, so why would they go to an empty Georgia Dome for a game when they could go to Tech and see a bigger game.

ButlerGSU
September 11th, 2007, 04:07 PM

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Can we trade them for Samford? xsmiley_wix

seantaylor
September 11th, 2007, 06:48 PM
KSU and Georgia State are commuter schools where the average age of the students are like 30. They will never have the support to move to 1A, and I doubt they would ever become a decent FBS program.

mathman
September 11th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Is KSU thinking about going straight to FBS? No teams have done that before, they all go to FCS first, even if it's just for two or three years like Florida Atlantic and Florida International did.
In an earlier post on this thread
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23604&page=6
SoccerSmells (I guess a KSU fan) suggested that KSU wants to go for nothing less than FBS. Maybe he's got it wrong. Maybe KSU eventually wants to go FBS. But even then, KSU would have a tough time. I mean look at UAB and they don't have Alabama nor Auburn or even a professional football team in Birmingham. Even Georgia Tech's attendance is not what it could be (due to the Falcons).

You're right about the on-campus thing. A big problem for GSU is that most of their dorms (for now) are actually across the street from Bobby Dodd Stadium, so why would they go to an empty Georgia Dome for a game when they could go to Tech and see a bigger game.
That's no longer true. This year Georgia State sold those North Avenue dorms to Georgia Tech. GT now has moved in. Obviously a perfect fit for them locationwise. Georgia State built some dorms downtown on the old Beaudry Ford lot which is just a few blocks from its campus. I think it has slightly more beds than the North Avenue dorms. Georgia Tech did try to attract Georgia State students to GT games but I guess the students were not interested. Give some credit for students having some loyalty to their own school. I think they as most Georgians root for UGA. The state of Georgia is not a split down the middle as is Alabama between the Alabama Crimson Tide and Auburn.

ChooChoo
September 11th, 2007, 11:40 PM
http://www2.gsu.edu/~wwwmsp/images/2006/masterplan.jpg
I know folks love to tag Georgia State with the commuter school label, because it was for decades. Truth be told, in the last decade it has taken major steps to become more of a traditional school to appeal to more traditional students, thanks in large part to the Hope Scholarship. As you can see in the link above, the 2015 Master Plan hopes to create even more campus housing to accommodate up to 20% of the students downtown. That along with a Greek Village (to break ground soon), a massive streetscape plan to distinguish a distinct campus, and plans for a new convocation center will help to completely reinvent State's image.
As for the question of whether Georgia State will get or should get football before Kennesaw St., it's no longer relevant. Georgia State is way ahead of our Cobb County neighbor in every facet of the campaign process. Barring a minor catastrophe, like a student revolt or a meteor strike, we will announce and start football in the near future.
Put it in the Bank. xthumbsupx

ButlerGSU
September 12th, 2007, 06:29 AM
http://www2.gsu.edu/~wwwmsp/images/2006/masterplan.jpg
I know folks love to tag Georgia State with the commuter school label, because it was for decades. Truth be told, in the last decade it has taken major steps to become more of a traditional school to appeal to more traditional students, thanks in large part to the Hope Scholarship. As you can see in the link above, the 2015 Master Plan hopes to create even more campus housing to accommodate up to 20% of the students downtown. That along with a Greek Village (to break ground soon), a massive streetscape plan to distinguish a distinct campus, and plans for a new convocation center will help to completely reinvent State's image.
As for the question of whether Georgia State will get or should get football before Kennesaw St., it's no longer relevant. Georgia State is way ahead of our Cobb County neighbor in every facet of the campaign process. Barring a minor catastrophe, like a student revolt or a meteor strike, we will announce and start football in the near future.
Put it in the Bank. xthumbsupx

That's great! Let's not kid ourselves though, GA State will never become a 'traditional' campus simply because of where it is located. I considered GA State for graduate school because your IS program is very strong and respected but the campus being in the heart of downtown turned me off.

ChooChoo
September 12th, 2007, 08:44 AM
Well as I said, it will be more traditional, but I agree that it will never be "traditional". That's fine though. Not every student is drawn to sleepy college towns with limited weekend options. Having lots of greenspace doesn't equal a good experience or education. Having football doesn't either but it goes a LONG way here in our state. Adding football and unifying the students and alumni will pay great dividends. Creating a better campus in which to enjoy it will only make it more appealing for many.

mathman
September 13th, 2007, 06:59 PM
KSU and Georgia State are commuter schools where the average age of the students are like 30. They will never have the support to move to 1A, and I doubt they would ever become a decent FBS program.
For undergraduates, the average age at Georgia State is around 24 and Kennesaw 25. For schools, like Georgia Tech, UGA, and Georgia Southern, it's around 21. Both KSU and Georgia State are getting increasingly more traditionally aged students. Plus Both are pursing more dorms so they are also becoming less of commuter schools.

I think KSU has a better chance since they are out in the burbs of Atlanta with a heavy residential population and in an area with a strong following in High School football. Georgia State's problem is being downtown and people are adverse to go there unless there is a compelling reason. They'll fight traffic and take the Marta train to get to the Georgia Dome for the Falcons but I don't know if they will feel the same desire to see a FCS team in Georgia State. So KSU is where the people are and it's relatively easy to get to but will people take the time to miss the big name FBS games to see an FCS team? To be blunt, these rural college towns like Statesboro have little else to do and the college football game is an event. Mercer used to have football but dropped it in 1942. I would have thought the city of Macon would have provided Mercer with adequate support.

mathman
September 13th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Well as I said, it will be more traditional, but I agree that it will never be "traditional". That's fine though. Not every student is drawn to sleepy college towns with limited weekend options. Having lots of greenspace doesn't equal a good experience or education. Having football doesn't either but it goes a LONG way here in our state. Adding football and unifying the students and alumni will pay great dividends. Creating a better campus in which to enjoy it will only make it more appealing for many.
Yeah, but greenspace is a desirable commodity. Georgia Tech is in the process of creating more greenspace on campus to improve its liveabilty. They've torn down the old Textile engineering building to create Yellow Jacket Park and the Electrical Engineering/Architecture parking lots have been also dug up for greenspace. An increasingly important selling point for schools in addition to academics and activities are the schools' environs. KSU has a nice looking campus and they've expressed interest in protecting its greenspace. Georgia State doesn't have much greenspace to speak of and nearby Hurt and especially Woodruff Park are filled with the homeless. That's one reason why I think Georgia State really should have a second big campus in the burbs. The one they have in Alpharetta at 14 acres is too small. Fort McPherson is closing and at 488 acres, that would be more than enough for Georgia State but I think Georgia State will pass up this opportunity to pursue its dream of an 'urban campus'. Atlanta city streets cutting through Georgia State's 'campus' plus the urban outdoorsmen just ruin the collegiate atmosphere no matter how much of downtown Georgia State buys. And a big part of the success of a college football program is tailgating on the school campus (just visit Georgia Tech this year before the Tech/Georgia game, it's madness but in a good way) and Georgia State doesn't have anywhere to tailgate.