PDA

View Full Version : JSU vs FU

OL FU
August 8th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Since we have started previewing one inter-conference day one game, let's take a look at, in my un-biased opinion :) , the most interesting one.

Thursday September 1 Jacksonville State versus Furman

1. Two rated teams
2. FU ended JSU's season in the playoffs in 2004.

Furman will be the favorite but a lot of the emotional aspects of the game play in JSU's favor.

New field, improvements to the stadium. revenge factor ( not only for last year against FU but also, strange as it may sound, for the year before against WKU (OVC against the other I-AA conferences)), JSU assuming the role of proving the OVC can play against the top teams, home advantage. Add to that, Furman has had many slow starts over the years. Also, will Furman be a little over confident?

On Furman's side - I think the boys believe that JMU ended what should have been Furman's championship year (not making that argument here so let's don't debate that one), so there is something to prove from the start. That may offset some of the other factors in JSU's favor.

So what do you think?

blueballs
August 8th, 2005, 09:43 AM
I don't think a whole lot has changed since Thanksgiving weekend. Furman rolls.

FU97
August 8th, 2005, 10:32 AM
I don't think a whole lot has changed since Thanksgiving weekend. Furman rolls.

Totally agree. I think the score is comparable to the playoff game.

Furman 45-10

Cocky
August 8th, 2005, 11:01 AM
It will be closer than the playoffs but FU will be the large favorite. If we stay with the running game longer it could be a close game if we throw the ball it could get out of hand in a hurry.

Our defense will be greatly improved over last year with some solid additions to the LBs and DBs. We will not be able to let Martin stay in the pocket forever and pick us apart.

Anyway it will be a chance for us to gauge ourselves against the Nation's best team.

A question for all:
Which win would give us more respect from the I-AA nation Furman or UAB?

OSRacer
August 8th, 2005, 11:27 AM
From an OVC member here is hoping that JSU gets after Furman. I think it is close for 3 quarters before Furman pulls away late 38-21.

OL FU
August 8th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Totally agree. I think the score is comparable to the playoff game.

Furman 45-10

FU 97, I appreciate your optimism, but I see it much closer. Last year we jumped all over them quickly and I think it de-moralized JSU. After that it was all down hill. I think 10 to 14 points is max and it will probably be closer.

jsualum97
August 8th, 2005, 03:47 PM
I am going to have to agree. Last year in the playoffs, Furman was clearly the better team, and deservedly the winners. However, I do not think that they are 49-7 better than we were. They were a 28-7 better than we were. The last 3-4 touchdowns were junk TD's after we just gave up. Please understand, I am not making excuses, Furman was and is possibly the better team. Just not 49-7 better.
I think that most Furman fans who were at the game will tell you the same. I also know that Ingle Martin was clearly the difference in the game. He is a dual threat. He impressed me throwing the ball, but even more so running the ball. He is much faster than he appears. Furman is cleary the better team coming into this game. But I hope the old saying comes true. "It isn't the better team, but the team that plays better."

AndrewFU21
August 8th, 2005, 05:52 PM
This game scares me. I say FU wins, but in a tightly contested game. We may pull away at the end, but I'd be surprised if JSU is out of it by halftime.

JaxSinfonian
August 8th, 2005, 11:55 PM
For those predicting a Furman cakewalk, consider this:

Last year, JSU had six days to prepare for the Paladins, and it rained three of those.

The Gamecocks now have been thinking about Furman for nine months.

Oh, and it's at our house.

See ya there.

OL FU
August 9th, 2005, 07:12 AM
For those predicting a Furman cakewalk, consider this:

Last year, JSU had six days to prepare for the Paladins, and it rained three of those.

The Gamecocks now have been thinking about Furman for nine months.

Oh, and it's at our house.

See ya there.

I think you would find most FU fans cautiously optimistic. I think you would find only a few that think this will be a cakewalk.

Eagle_77
August 9th, 2005, 09:28 AM
I see only one way that JSU wins this game and that is if Furman does not play up to their game. I believe that the emotions that JSU has coming in will keep it close in the first half but I believe that by the time the 4th quarter rolls around Furman will be in cruise control.

By no means is this meant as smack against JSU because I think they are very deserving of their ranking coming into the season and feel that they will repeat in the OVC. I just think that Furman has that much talent. It’s a shame that Furman doesn’t have one of their I-A games this year because I think they would have another great shot of winning.

I think the biggest test Furman will have coming into the GSU game will be Hofstra. Their style of play is a better fit for giving the Paladins trouble. Then two weeks after that they host App St which can give them trouble but I will give Furman the nod because of home field. I think that coming into the GSU game Furman will be unbeaten and who knows what will happen that day. If they get past us then I say they finish with a perfect record are the #1 seed going into the playoffs. JMO

OL FU
August 9th, 2005, 09:41 AM
I see only one way that JSU wins this game and that is if Furman does not play up to their game. I believe that the emotions that JSU has coming in will keep it close in the first half but I believe that by the time the 4th quarter rolls around Furman will be in cruise control.

By no means is this meant as smack against JSU because I think they are very deserving of their ranking coming into the season and feel that they will repeat in the OVC. I just think that Furman has that much talent. It’s a shame that Furman doesn’t have one of their I-A games this year because I think they would have another great shot of winning.

I think the biggest test Furman will have coming into the GSU game will be Hofstra. Their style of play is a better fit for giving the Paladins trouble. Then two weeks after that they host App St which can give them trouble but I will give Furman the nod because of home field. I think that coming into the GSU game Furman will be unbeaten and who knows what will happen that day. If they get past us then I say they finish with a perfect record are the #1 seed going into the playoffs. JMO

I agree on Hostra and ASU, Talented passing offenses can give us fits.

youwouldno
August 9th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Hopefully Lamb and team will keep in mind our struggles against the pass last year (primarily App and Pitt) and be more prepared this time around for App and Hofstra-- but those are both home games, which will help a lot.

As far as the JSU-FU game... I think the Paladins are a huge favorite to win, but the point spread won't be nearly so large as last year's game. The main obstacle for JSU is not so much Furman's offense-- though I doubt they can shut us down-- but our defense, which held them last year and is looking very good coming into this year.

JSU is a running team, and I don't see how exactly they can run on Willie Free and Co. no matter how much time they have to prepare. Nothing against JSU but this is a tough matchup for them.

Paladin05
August 9th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Hopefully Lamb and team will keep in mind our struggles against the pass last year (primarily App and Pitt) and be more prepared this time around for App and Hofstra-- but those are both home games, which will help a lot.

As far as the JSU-FU game... I think the Paladins are a huge favorite to win, but the point spread won't be nearly so large as last year's game. The main obstacle for JSU is not so much Furman's offense-- though I doubt they can shut us down-- but our defense, which held them last year and is looking very good coming into this year.

JSU is a running team, and I don't see how exactly they can run on Willie Free and Co. no matter how much time they have to prepare. Nothing against JSU but this is a tough matchup for them.

Coach Lamb and the Paladins would have been helped in the pass defense department last year had they not been missing 3-4 starters who were injured at Pitt. It is hard to defend a good passing offense with 2nd and 3rd stringers.

I'm a little surprised at the respect being shown to Furman despite the loss of some KEY players. Furman has to fill two DL spots, replace Ritter and Killian at LB and replace Cam Newton(ATL Falcons) and T.J. Wilson in the secondary. Luckily a lot of youngsters saw action last year because of injury and performed well.

Cocky
August 9th, 2005, 02:55 PM

Running wasn't our problem last year it is our passing game and pass defense.
Our starting TB avg about 10 yards per carry and Martin completed about 95% of his passes. I still say if we stay with the running game we might pull off the upset. If we throw the ball we will be back at the motor homes drinking beer by the 3rd quarter.

Black and Gold Express
August 9th, 2005, 03:00 PM
No offense to JSU, but there's a reason Furman is the preseason #2. The SoCon has for quite a while been much better at the top than the OVC has been as well. I'm sure home field and it being the first game of the year will keep the game closer, but Furman should win by at least 17 points when all is said and done.

Even if JSU can keep it under 10 points, I would consider that a good omen for the rest of their season. But Furman is the better team, no matter where it is played.

OL FU
August 9th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Our starting TB avg about 10 yards per carry and Martin completed about 95% of his passes. I still say if we stay with the running game we might pull off the upset. If we throw the ball we will be back at the motor homes drinking beer by the 3rd quarter.

JSU
Rushing 31 - 134 yards
Passing 16-28-2 141 yard
Third down conversions 0-12

The real problem was the game got out of hand early. I am not sure running would have helped. Keep it close this year and it might.

youwouldno
August 9th, 2005, 03:09 PM
All I'm saying is, nobody ran us over last year, and rarely has it happened in the past. GSU got some good yards on the ground, but they also had a lot of attempts.

Sometimes, the more talented team loses. So it could happen. But I don't think there is any question that FU has a lot more firepower on both sides of the ball. If JSU makes it a good game that will probably bode well for their season.

Gamecocks99
August 9th, 2005, 05:52 PM
JSU
Rushing 31 - 134 yards
Passing 16-28-2 141 yard

The real problem was the game got out of hand early. I am not sure running would have helped. Keep it close this year and it might.

True that! But,

The last one on your list is what killed us.

3rd Down Conversions : 0-12

No move the Ball !! No Score !!

Plus Your QB Ingle Martin - WOW!! his size, speed and arm is unreal

and our secondary or lack of one.

Defense wins!! But,

Rome wasn't built in one season.

I hope we continue the JSU vs FU Meeting for many years to come. We need to play teams of your caliber along with others to strenghten our program.

Without a doubt I think you will see a full house for the game in Jacksonville. Especially with it being a Thursday night TV Game. It also sounds like ya'll will be bring a good crowd as-well. I can't wait and neither can everyone else in these parts.

We hope you truly enjoy your visit to the Friendliest Campus in the South.

Cheers to a Great Season!!!

Cocky
August 9th, 2005, 06:27 PM
JSU
Rushing 31 - 134 yards
Passing 16-28-2 141 yard

If you when to the game last year, you can tell in a hurry we are not a throwing team. Our scoring drive was the only series we ran more than passed. I'm not saying we would have won if we had ran more but the game would have been closer.

Of those 31 attempts the TB only got 10-15 carries all in the first half and had around 120 yards rushing. The other yards, or lack of, came with the QB picking grass from between his shoulder blades.

IMO our only chance of winning is to establish a running game if not FU can name the score again.

FU97
August 10th, 2005, 07:31 AM

Isn't Bonds gone this year? Take away his 55 yard run and JSU averages a paltry 2.5 ypc.

Our running game is back with no losses in the backfield. We lost some players on the OL, but they are replaced by experienced players. I see no reason why we can't put up 500 yards of offense while surrendering less than 300.

It won't be close.

Cocky
August 10th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Isn't Bonds gone this year? Take away his 55 yard run and JSU averages a paltry 2.5 ypc.

Our running game is back with no losses in the backfield. We lost some players on the OL, but they are replaced by experienced players. I see no reason why we can't put up 500 yards of offense while surrendering less than 300.

It won't be close.

Take away his run and the QB's losses and attempts and it wll be close to 5 per carry.

You loss your two receivers and your best defensive player. Freeman is good but he has a ways to go to be Killian. I'm not sure our TB isn't better than Bonds. Your running game isn't our problem it is your passing game. We have to slow Martin down.

I will say again if we are going to have a chance to win we must establish a running game. If we stay with the run I see no reason we can't have over 300 yards rushing alone.

OL FU
August 10th, 2005, 08:20 AM
I agree on the Martin Statements. I feel comfortable with the D. You may be able to run, but if you don't pass with some success, the running game will not last through the entire game. If we start slow, it will be on offense. If Martin completes 75 to 80% of his passes like last year, it might be ugly. However, considering every thing including this being the first game, I think it will be closer, two touchdowns max, maybe less. I will be happy going to Cullowee 1-0 regardless of the margin.

OL FU
August 10th, 2005, 08:40 AM
Take away his run and the QB's losses and attempts and it wll be close to 5 per carry.

You loss your two receivers and your best defensive player. Freeman is good but he has a ways to go to be Killian. I'm not sure our TB isn't better than Bonds. Your running game isn't our problem it is your passing game. We have to slow Martin down.

I will say again if we are going to have a chance to win we must establish a running game. If we stay with the run I see no reason we can't have over 300 yards rushing alone.

2004 one team rushed for more than 300 yards. It was 304 and it was Georgia Southern.Games of note.

Pitt 45-99yds
Citadel 37-163
Georgia Southern 71-304
Wofford 50-174
JSU 33-134
I don't have the number of carries but JMU 128 yard.

If you don't pass successfully you won't rush for 300 yards.

Eagle_77
August 10th, 2005, 10:29 AM
What station is this going to be on again?

OL FU
August 10th, 2005, 11:03 AM
What station is this going to be on again?

CSTV (I think)

FU97
August 10th, 2005, 11:10 AM

Wow. 300 yards? You are being totally delusional now. Only GSU ran for more than 200 on us last year (304 to be exact) and it took them over 70 attempts to get here. Wofford ran 50 times and didn't break 200 yards. I predict there is no way in Hades that JSU runs for anywhere near 300 yards.

As for our best defensive player, a healthy Freeman is much better than the just back from injury Killian that you saw last year. I also think you are shortchanging Freeman, the SoCon Defensive Player of the Year last year.

I'd say the running game that rang up 239 yards was a problem for you as well. Sure the passing game really hurt you, but its not like you slowed our running game either.

blueballs
August 10th, 2005, 04:12 PM
All you folks out there who aren't as familiar with Furman as we SoCon folks are, heed this.

Furman is first and foremost a ground team who will run the ball all day long out of the I formation if they can and will use the pass as a secondary, but very effective, weapon. Furman wants to run it 50 times and pass it 20, if they are able to run their offense at that ratio they are generally successful. The yardage will generally be balanced as they hit some large gains throwing but the play call mix will be about 5/2 run if they are clicking.

Don't undersell Furman's run defense either. They wouldn't be successful in the SoCon playing the likes of GSU, Wofford, Citadel if they weak against the run.

JaxSinfonian
August 10th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Isn't Bonds gone this year?

Yes, he is. But this time last year, no one but Jax State fans knew his name. All the preseason prognosticators in 2004 said JSU would have a tough time replacing Kory Chapmon's yards, and so picked sentimental favorite EKU to win the OVC instead. Three months later everybody had forgotten Chapmon, and EKU.

JSU will find someone to carry that sucker, don't worry. They'll also be strong at QB (not as strong as Furman, however.) Hopefully the passing games on both sides of the ball has strengthened over the offseason. If it has, and if our coaches were paying attention in November, the Gamecocks should be able to make a game of it. They'll still need to play the game of their lives to win, but I don't think they're going to let any steamrollers out on that new turf.

FU97
August 11th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Yes, he is. But this time last year, no one but Jax State fans knew his name. All the preseason prognosticators in 2004 said JSU would have a tough time replacing Kory Chapmon's yards, and so picked sentimental favorite EKU to win the OVC instead. Three months later everybody had forgotten Chapmon, and EKU.

JSU will find someone to carry that sucker, don't worry. They'll also be strong at QB (not as strong as Furman, however.) Hopefully the passing games on both sides of the ball has strengthened over the offseason. If it has, and if our coaches were paying attention in November, the Gamecocks should be able to make a game of it. They'll still need to play the game of their lives to win, but I don't think they're going to let any steamrollers out on that new turf.

You talk about the passing defense being key for JSU, but we are truely a running team at the core. Its what we have done best for the last decade. We run the ball much more than we throw it. In last year's game we ran for something like 230 yards and passed for 280. I predict we will be the team that is much closer to 300 yards rushing. I'll go out on a limb and say we'll have 500 yds of total offense. It won't be close.

Furman 45-10

Paladin05
August 11th, 2005, 08:26 AM
You talk about the passing defense being key for JSU, but we are truely a running team at the core. Its what we have done best for the last decade. We run the ball much more than we throw it. In last year's game we ran for something like 230 yards and passed for 280. I predict we will be the team that is much closer to 300 yards rushing. I'll go out on a limb and say we'll have 500 yds of total offense. It won't be close.

Furman 45-10

While I agree with the comments about Furman being a run first team, and we do have an excellent rushing game returning with a veteran line in front of three returning tailbacks and a talented fullback, I highly doubt we will win 45-10. Jacksonville State will be a battle on the road. So will Western Carolina the week after.

I don't have many worries about the Furman offense, but there are questions yet to be answered on the defensive front.

OL FU
August 11th, 2005, 08:55 AM
All you folks out there who aren't as familiar with Furman as we SoCon folks are, heed this.

Furman is first and foremost a ground team who will run the ball all day long out of the I formation if they can and will use the pass as a secondary, but very effective, weapon. Furman wants to run it 50 times and pass it 20, if they are able to run their offense at that ratio they are generally successful. The yardage will generally be balanced as they hit some large gains throwing but the play call mix will be about 5/2 run if they are clicking.

Don't undersell Furman's run defense either. They wouldn't be successful in the SoCon playing the likes of GSU, Wofford, Citadel if they weak against the run.

You have been paying attention :)

OL FU
August 11th, 2005, 09:00 AM
Guys, the only team we beat by a bigger margin last year was Presbyterian. We jumped out to a big lead and JSU never recovered. They are a much better team than that. We beat JSU worse than we beat Samford and JSU demolished Samford. FU winning was no fluke, but a forty point advantage for this game is not typical. It will be much closer.

JaxSinfonian
August 11th, 2005, 12:53 PM
You talk about the passing defense being key for JSU, but we are truely a running team at the core.

I didn't say it was THE key. It's A key. Furman used short-yardage passes with lots of YAC to great effect last year. Rushing defense was a strength for the Gamecocks last year in the regular season -- they kept Charles Anthony from really becoming a factor in the Tennessee State game, for instance. If JSU can limit the Paladins' other options this time around, Furman will be playing our game. They'll be playing it very well mind you, but at least it's our game.

I'll keep 45-10 in mind. But I think it will be a much better game than that.

Gamecocks99
August 12th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Yawn!!! I'm ready to welcome our purple guest and get this grand party started! Has the Game started yet!

JaxStateManager
August 12th, 2005, 11:37 PM
Amen to that. I want to get this season off and rolling A.S.A.P. Bring on the Paladins!

OL FU
August 31st, 2005, 09:13 AM
http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050831/SPORTS/508310328/1027/SPORTS0103

Cocky
August 31st, 2005, 11:23 AM
http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050831/SPORTS/508310328/1027/SPORTS0103
Thanks for the link

citdog
August 31st, 2005, 05:03 PM
I am hoping that JSU can hang an early "L" on the paladins as nothing makes me happier than hearing about a furman loss.

ChiefGSU275
August 31st, 2005, 05:59 PM
I am hoping that JSU can hang an early "L" on the paladins as nothing makes me happier than hearing about a furman loss.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-MEN!

youwouldno
August 31st, 2005, 08:33 PM
Well I'll be rooting for all SoCon teams in their OOC games. If some GSU and Cit fans aren't classy/smart enough to do the same, that's their biz.

Maybe ChiefGSU is just hoping Furman doesn't make the playoffs, knock GSU out like in 2001.

Feathered Fury
August 31st, 2005, 08:37 PM
Well, I just hope the Cocks pop that purple ass tomorrow :cool: !!

ChiefGSU275
August 31st, 2005, 10:40 PM
Why would I pull for our #1 rival to win? That is dumb. That is like if Batman said, "well, i am not fighting Joker this week, so I will pull for him to kill those cops". Just insane.

eaglesrthe1
August 31st, 2005, 11:13 PM
Not insane at all. The relative strentgh of the conferences are in a large part set by the results of these top OC matchups early on. FU's and JSU's rankings will both be affected by the outcome of these early season contests. Their future opponents will be affected also no matter the outcome.

A loss or win by FU will have an effect upon their ranking. That ranking will have an effect on the GSU-FU contest, no matter the outcome of that game.

I want GSU to put a stomping on an udefeated, top-ranked, biggest dog in the country FU. Not an unranked, eight loss, can't do anything for GSU's playoff repertoire FU.

The same goes for the other teams in the conference.

JaxSinfonian
August 31st, 2005, 11:32 PM
That is dumb.

Not really.

Eastern Kentucky fans may be incensed as hell at losing to JSU the last couple of years, but I imagine most are pulling for the Gamecocks to beat Furman, for the same reasons I'm pulling for them to beat App. State Saturday.

The conference's stock rises if everybody wins their OOC games. JSU gets more credit for beating Eastern Kentucky if they've beaten the Mountaineers. If JSU beats Furman, the Colonels won't look so bad losing to JSU. ;)

Assuming they sweep their OOC games, EKU theoretically has a better shot at an at-large bid if JSU is their only OVC loss, and JSU beats Furman.

I understand your sentiment, though. Though it might be the sensible thing to do, I'm not sure EKU fans would pull for Western in the same circumstances.

youwouldno
September 1st, 2005, 12:03 AM
This Chief guy is not bright at all. It's not just that Furman's ranking helps GSU when the teams play (whatever the outcome, btw, because losing to a #1 isn't as bad as losing to a #20 for the sake of the poll)-- it matters come playoff time both in terms of the poll and the selection committee due to conference strength. For a contending team's fan to want his team to be put at a disadvantage is really, really dumb.

In defense of GSU, most of their fans are smarter and have a better attitude-- they're confident they can get the job done themselves, and don't need to root for an OVC team to top the Paladins.

FU97
September 1st, 2005, 09:06 AM
In defense of GSU, most of their fans are smarter and have a better attitude-- they're confident they can get the job done themselves, and don't need to root for an OVC team to top the Paladins.

Conversely, as it relates to the Citadel fan, he knows his team has almost no shot at beating Furman and absolutey no shot at making the playoffs, so he has to hope/pray that some other school can do what his bull pups have no shot at doing.

ChiefGSU275
September 1st, 2005, 12:28 PM
This Chief guy is not bright at all. It's not just that Furman's ranking helps GSU when the teams play (whatever the outcome, btw, because losing to a #1 isn't as bad as losing to a #20 for the sake of the poll)-- it matters come playoff time both in terms of the poll and the selection committee due to conference strength. For a contending team's fan to want his team to be put at a disadvantage is really, really dumb.

I am glad you think i am dumb, but i will politely decline. I am not planning on having to rely on the selection committee's view of conference strength for us, I am planning on winning the conference outright and looking for a #1 ranking in the poll before the playoffs begin. I hate furman. I dont wish success on them ever. I am sorry if my GSU brethren are more "loving" than myself, but they are a rival, and as such, I dont like them.

youwouldno
September 1st, 2005, 12:34 PM
Your entitled to your opinion, I was just pointing out you're an idiot for holding it.

citdog
September 1st, 2005, 12:36 PM
Conversely, as it relates to the Citadel fan, he knows his team has almost no shot at beating Furman and absolutey no shot at making the playoffs, so he has to hope/pray that some other school can do what his bull pups have no shot at doing.

We have no shot at beating the Baptist College North? We are 1 for our last 2 against the Bible Thumpers. You also have to come to the BoneYard where we are 1 for the last 1.

ashram
September 1st, 2005, 01:49 PM
Why can't we have a discussion about FU vs. JSU without having to talk about FU vs. the Bellhops?

I pull for all SoCon teams vs. A-10 (because of their justifiable claims of superiority), just like I pull for all IAA teams vs. any IA team. A rival SoCon team vs. a team from another IAA division, I take game by game. In general, I'll pull for the team playing against Ga. Southern. It'd be nice to have another outright conference championship without having to share with them. But if GSU, or any other SoCon school, is representing my conference in a big game against a good team from another conference, I'm happy for anything to bring respect to the SoCon.

If the Citadel were playing JSU tonight, I'd be cheering for the Citadel. I don't mean to take this thread in the direction that I was just complaining about, but Citdog, I don't think you want to bring up the details of the last two FU-Citadel games.

citdog
September 1st, 2005, 01:58 PM
I loved the detail of the last game played in Charleston. El Cid 10 -FU 9