PDA

View Full Version : Tarleton State to WAC/FCS Independent

dbackjon
September 30th, 2019, 06:46 PM
https://twitter.com/RPRTalks/status/1178807962283974657

BREAKING: Tarleton State is making the jump to Division I and will join the WAC next season. Tarleton Football will play in the FCS as an independent, per @asuradiovoice (https://twitter.com/asuradiovoice)
later confirmed by @LoneStarConf (https://twitter.com/LoneStarConf)

- - - Updated - - -

I would think 2020 is a bit aggressive.

DFW HOYA
September 30th, 2019, 06:58 PM
"Tarleton State is making the jump to Division I and will join the WAC next season"

Read: "They will eventually be in the Southland."

dbackjon
September 30th, 2019, 07:13 PM
"Tarleton State is making the jump to Division I and will join the WAC next season"

Read: "They will eventually be in the Southland."

They may WANT the Southland, but does the Southland want more members?

WAC could work, especially if a few others in TX do the same - TAMU-Commerce, Angelo State and West Texas A&M come to mind. Those four are the only schools with enrollments above 10K in the LSC.

Schism55
September 30th, 2019, 07:26 PM
Fresh fish! Fresh fish! xlolx

Laker
September 30th, 2019, 07:57 PM
Let's see. Dixie State is coming into the WAC next year. UMKC and Cal State Bakersfield will be leaving for the Summit and Big West, respectively. How long Chicago State can hang on is anyone's guess. Looks like wholesale changes.

Remember when the WAC had 16 members? Remember when the WAC had Arizona, Arizona State and Utah?

lionsrking2
September 30th, 2019, 08:02 PM
They may WANT the Southland, but does the Southland want more members?

WAC could work, especially if a few others in TX do the same - TAMU-Commerce, Angelo State and West Texas A&M come to mind. Those four are the only schools with enrollments above 10K in the LSC.

No. We have more than enough Texas schools.

Laker
September 30th, 2019, 08:05 PM
No. We have more than enough Texas schools.

When is UNO (the Privateers, not the Mavericks) starting football? I thought that was coming years ago.

lionsrking2
September 30th, 2019, 08:07 PM
When is UNO (the Privateers, not the Mavericks) starting football? I thought that was coming years ago.

They aren't. They're focused on being the next Florida Gulf Coast in basketball.

Outsider1
September 30th, 2019, 08:21 PM
I think the WAC could hold if enough quality programs come in. Tarleton was consistently a tough battle in the LSC. They had already updated their facility in anticipation.

Laker
September 30th, 2019, 08:29 PM
https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2019/09/30/tarleton-state-set-to-move-to-division-i-in-2020?ref=article_preview_img

Lion1983
September 30th, 2019, 09:15 PM
Would be nice if the Big South could replace Presbyterian with Tarleton in football. Hell, we got Monmouth soooo.

cx500d
September 30th, 2019, 09:49 PM
Would be nice if the Big South could replace Presbyterian with Tarleton in football. Hell, we got Monmouth soooo.

You’d be better off with the Louisiana schools than tarleton.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DFW HOYA
September 30th, 2019, 10:24 PM
Next Texas schools to upgrade? Candidates:

West Texas A&M (fka West Texas State)
Texas A&M-Kingsville (fka Texas A&I)
Midwestern State
Texas-Rio Grande Valley (needs to add football)

Longshots:
Hardin Simmons
Mary Hardin-Baylor (they certainly have the stadium for it....)

https://go.umhb.edu/img/police/stadium-wide.jpg

chrisattsu
September 30th, 2019, 11:54 PM
Next Texas schools to upgrade? Candidates:

West Texas A&M (fka West Texas State)
Texas A&M-Kingsville (fka Texas A&I)
Midwestern State
Texas-Rio Grande Valley (needs to add football)

Longshots:
Hardin Simmons
Mary Hardin-Baylor (they certainly have the stadium for it....)

https://go.umhb.edu/img/police/stadium-wide.jpgWT is updating their stadium. I could see them moving up even though their staff has been adamant that they wont.

Commerce recently won the D2 football national championship and their located just outside of Dallas but their facilities need to be improved.

Kingsville has history but their currently in free fall athletically and their location doesnt do any favors.

My understanding is that Tarleton wanted the Southland but the Southland wasnt interested in expanding. Given the leagues size, I wonder if Abilene and/or UIW would consider moving over to the WAC

Puddin Tane
September 30th, 2019, 11:55 PM
SLC doesn’t need any more teams, unless we drop down to d3 or intramural

Catatonic
October 1st, 2019, 04:38 AM
Let's see. Dixie State is coming into the WAC next year. UMKC and Cal State Bakersfield will be leaving for the Summit and Big West, respectively. How long Chicago State can hang on is anyone's guess. Looks like wholesale changes.

Remember when the WAC had 16 members? Remember when the WAC had Arizona, Arizona State and Utah?

When I was in high school in Arizona both Wyoming and BYU were also in the WAC.

Catatonic
October 1st, 2019, 06:17 AM
WT is updating their stadium. I could see them moving up even though their staff has been adamant that they wont.

Commerce recently won the D2 football national championship and their located just outside of Dallas but their facilities need to be improved.

Kingsville has history but their currently in free fall athletically and their location doesnt do any favors.

My understanding is that Tarleton wanted the Southland but the Southland wasnt interested in expanding. Given the leagues size, I wonder if Abilene and/or UIW would consider moving over to the WAC

I spoke with an ACU administrator who said ACU has no interest in a move at this time.

chrisattsu
October 1st, 2019, 07:09 AM
I spoke with an ACU administrator who said ACU has no interest in a move at this time.Well hopefully we can schedule an OOC series and renew our rivalry

Catatonic
October 1st, 2019, 08:21 AM
Well hopefully we can schedule an OOC series and renew our rivalry

That would be great. The SLC is switching from a 9 game to an 8 game conference schedule in 2020 do we have room to add a series.

Professor Chaos
October 1st, 2019, 08:34 AM
SLC doesn’t need any more teams, unless we drop down to d3 or intramural
Maybe Tarleton isn't a good fit for political reasons but I'd say the SLC could use one more team (or could do with a team leaving) at least until/unless they go back to an 8 game conference schedule. Having an odd number of teams is bad enough because that means at least one team has to be on a bye each week of the conference season but playing an odd number of conference games means that one team in the conference can only play 8 conference games which really makes a mess when that team, like Incarnate Word was last year, is in contention. I'm pretty sure there were some vocal SLC fans on here frustrated with the fact that UIW has basically given a free win in terms of determining the conference autobid because the SLC bylaws said that they will use losses to determine standings/autobid at the end of the season so 6-2 UIW was essentially tied with 7-2 Nicholls as conference champs.

That would be great. The SLC is switching from a 9 game to an 8 game conference schedule in 2020 do we have room to add a series.
Really? I missed that memo. That's great! I've always disliked the 9 game conference schedule with FCS leagues that typically can only play 11 games total. Since the SLC switched to it I'm pretty sure they've played more OOC games against FBS teams than FCS teams.

lionsrking2
October 1st, 2019, 09:31 AM

Catatonic
October 1st, 2019, 09:49 AM

My mistake. Thanks

Daytripper
October 1st, 2019, 10:44 AM
If the Southland wasn't already too big, I would be happy to have Tarleton and TSU in conference. But there are too many as it is.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 1st, 2019, 11:19 AM
In related news, when is Sam heading to the Sun Belt?

Daytripper
October 1st, 2019, 11:57 AM
In related news, when is Sam heading to the Sun Belt?

Never.

Lion1983
October 1st, 2019, 12:50 PM
You’d be better off with the Louisiana schools than tarleton.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is that an option?

Panther88
October 1st, 2019, 02:29 PM
It's no accident that Tarleton St has now leap-frogged into the FCS fray. The Texas A&M System has made it very clear that it wants another system school represented in the D-I FBS world.

mvfcfan
October 1st, 2019, 04:59 PM
The Southland Conference has 13 members. I doubt 14 would hurt anything. It might make scheduling easier with an even amount of schools and they'd make a good travel partner for Abilene Christian. My guess is that if Tarleton State has any kind of success they will eventually be in the Southland. Does anyone know if the WAC has an exit fee?

taper
October 1st, 2019, 07:14 PM
I'm all for as many Texas teams as possible to join FCS. And for some of them to either join the OVC or push other teams into the OVC. Which then pushes either EIU or SEMO into the Summit with their precious, precious baseball programs to keep us alive.
Well, one can dream. At least EIU was once a full member of the Summit.

chrisattsu
October 1st, 2019, 07:38 PM
It's no accident that Tarleton St has now leap-frogged into the FCS fray. The Texas A&M System has made it very clear that it wants another system school represented in the D-I FBS world.Where did you hear that the TAMUS want more FBS schools?

chrisattsu
October 1st, 2019, 07:43 PM
The Southland Conference has 13 members. I doubt 14 would hurt anything. It might make scheduling easier with an even amount of schools and they'd make a good travel partner for Abilene Christian. My guess is that if Tarleton State has any kind of success they will eventually be in the Southland. Does anyone know if the WAC has an exit fee?I would imagine so. I would think that Tarleton would be a good bridge between Abilene and the rest of the league.

I wonder if SLC holding out because they dont want to take the hit for another D2 move up on SoS. Having us make our bones as an independent allows the league to see what tarleton can be without getting their hands dirty.

If we transition well then move to the SLC for "financial reasons" they are bringing in a D1 transfer from another league rather than a move up

Panther88
October 1st, 2019, 10:35 PM
Where did you hear that the TAMUS want more FBS schools?

During the pre-approval and then approval meetings (recorded) immediately granting the $$$ to erect several distinct athletic venues and the athletic admin venue on the campus of Prairie View A&M University.

I saw a rendering that expanded the current setup w/ a larger upper deck on the east side stands coupled w/ a 2-level bowl enclosure where the current scoreboard is located bringing anticipated seating capacity to 32K. (Phase III)

Phase II incorporates erecting an indoor practice facility.

mvfcfan
October 2nd, 2019, 05:34 AM
I'm all for as many Texas teams as possible to join FCS. And for some of them to either join the OVC or push other teams into the OVC. Which then pushes either EIU or SEMO into the Summit with their precious, precious baseball programs to keep us alive.
Well, one can dream. At least EIU was once a full member of the Summit.

I'm a big EIU fan and we want no part of the Summit League. The OVC is the perfect home for our programs. The travel is better and it's an all-sports conference that is very stable. We have 12 in basketball, 9 in football, and 11 in baseball.

Catatonic
October 2nd, 2019, 06:02 AM
The Southland Conference has 13 members. I doubt 14 would hurt anything. It might make scheduling easier with an even amount of schools and they'd make a good travel partner for Abilene Christian. My guess is that if Tarleton State has any kind of success they will eventually be in the Southland. Does anyone know if the WAC has an exit fee?

My guess is the WAC will offer football sooner rather than later. Tarleton, Dixie State, another couple of D2 move ups and several FCS teams from the Big Sky or possibly the Southland will launch the new conference.

Daytripper
October 2nd, 2019, 06:08 AM
My guess is the WAC will offer football sooner rather than later. Tarleton, Dixie State, another couple of D2 move ups and several FCS teams from the Big Sky or possibly the Southland will launch the new conference.

New Mexico and New Mexico State might drop down to join such a conference. If UTEP was smart, it would too.

DFW HOYA
October 2nd, 2019, 06:13 AM
New Mexico and New Mexico State might drop down to join such a conference. If UTEP was smart, it would too.

UTEP has nearly 25,000 students and plays in a 50,000 seat stadium. They're definitely a I-A program which has underperformed.

Catatonic
October 2nd, 2019, 06:17 AM

Pride and money stand in the way. NMSU fans are pointing out that guarantee games against a SEC team is worth 1.8 million to them as a FBS independent and 500k as a FCS team.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 2nd, 2019, 11:22 AM

New Mexico State has zero to lose, but New Mexico is in the Mountain West and would have quite a bit to lose if they joined FCS, especially because they'd leap to the single-bid WAC for the NCAA Tournament. Same with UTEP.

uni88
October 2nd, 2019, 12:03 PM
New Mexico State has zero to lose, but New Mexico is in the Mountain West and would have quite a bit to lose if they joined FCS, especially because they'd leap to the single-bid WAC for the NCAA Tournament. Same with UTEP.

xthumbsupx No way any school leaves the MWC for the WAC or any FCS conference. MWC is one of the 2 best G5 conferences and a multi-bid basketball conference.

taper
October 2nd, 2019, 06:39 PM
I'm a big EIU fan and we want no part of the Summit League. The OVC is the perfect home for our programs. The travel is better and it's an all-sports conference that is very stable. We have 12 in basketball, 9 in football, and 11 in baseball.

No doubt EIU has no reason to leave right now, that's why it's only a dream to me. Though it's funny you call it an all-sport conference. If EIU did join the Summit, we'd have enough for a football auto-bid, and you're already an associate Summit member for swimming and diving. In that scenario the Summit offers all your sports, where the OVC currently misses one. It would take a pretty big nationwide conference shakeup for that to happen though.

NY Crusader 2010
October 2nd, 2019, 09:29 PM
Between UTEP, New Mexico and New Mexico State, the only one of those three that would (and should) consider a drop-down would be NMSU. But IMO they would look to move to a stronger conference than a WAC start-up and go to the Southland, Big Sky or even The Valley.

Only way I see WAC rounding up enough horses to sponsor football is if some of the Big Sky splits off.

mvfcfan
October 3rd, 2019, 08:02 AM
I'm a little bit nervous that the Summit League could end up poaching Tarleton State and Dixie State (or just adding them as fb-only) to create SL football. If the SL got UNC to join for all-sports that would give them 8 for football. There's been rumors of Summit League football for a while, I guess it just depends on how bad they actually want it.

I think it is probably in the best interests of both the Summit League and the WAC to work together rather than against each other. If the WAC can add D2 moveups with FCS football and the Summit can sponsor it that seems like a win-win for both sides.

I always hoped that NDSU and SDSU would end up in the MVC for all-sports, but I don't see it ever happening now. In my opinion I think it is in the best interests of the Dakota schools to look at other options and try to build up their own league. Unfortunately a move like this would leave the MVFC with 6 members. In that case I think the MVC would have to add Murray State just to get their football numbers up.

Now I'll be honest. I have probably way overthought this, but it could end up being a possibility.

ST_Lawson
October 3rd, 2019, 09:38 AM
I'm a little bit nervous that the Summit League could end up poaching Tarleton State and Dixie State (or just adding them as fb-only) to create SL football. If the SL got UNC to join for all-sports that would give them 8 for football. There's been rumors of Summit League football for a while, I guess it just depends on how bad they actually want it.

I think it is probably in the best interests of both the Summit League and the WAC to work together rather than against each other. If the WAC can add D2 moveups with FCS football and the Summit can sponsor it that seems like a win-win for both sides.

I always hoped that NDSU and SDSU would end up in the MVC for all-sports, but I don't see it ever happening now. In my opinion I think it is in the best interests of the Dakota schools to look at other options and try to build up their own league. Unfortunately a move like this would leave the MVFC with 6 members. In that case I think the MVC would have to add Murray State just to get their football numbers up.

Now I'll be honest. I have probably way overthought this, but it could end up being a possibility.

I don't think WIU would be on board with Summit League Football. We've got too much history with Illinois State, SIU, and to a lesser extent, UNI and some of the other MVC schools. It'd also add even more travel to our situation.

As it currently stands, we can take a bus to both the ISU's, SIU, MSU, and UNI. We would likely fly to the Dakota schools and YSU (although we drove 10 hours to North Alabama, so who the f*** even knows anymore). Summit League Football with the 4 Dakota schools, Northern Colorado, maybe football-only for a few other of the schools moving up from D2...closest is USD at ~7 hours of driving to get to...so we'd be flying nearly everywhere. I'm not saying that they might not start up Summit League Football at some point, I'm just saying that I doubt WIU will be a part of it. I don't know what we would end up doing, maybe try to join the OVC or something and try to work out periodic OOC games against ILSU, SIU, UNI, etc. Maybe do whatever the MVC schools are doing for football, with everything else going with the Summit, Horizon League (unlikely), or MVC (beyond unlikely...like...infinitesimally small chance).

Or maybe we'll just say "screw it" and drop down to DII.

Laker
March 7th, 2020, 09:21 AM
Tarleton-TCU game delayed a year.

​https://fbschedules.com/tarleton-state-play-at-tcu-2022-one-season-later-than-desired/

chrisattsu
March 7th, 2020, 09:59 AM
Tarleton-TCU game delayed a year.

​https://fbschedules.com/tarleton-state-play-at-tcu-2022-one-season-later-than-desired/Bummer, but there are still games against Texas Tech and TAMU on the books.

I keep telling my friends, I am more interested in seeing the basketball, volleyball, baseball schedule.

Puddin Tane
March 10th, 2020, 05:15 PM
Between UTEP, New Mexico and New Mexico State, the only one of those three that would (and should) consider a drop-down would be NMSU. But IMO they would look to move to a stronger conference than a WAC start-up and go to the Southland, Big Sky or even The Valley.

Only way I see WAC rounding up enough horses to sponsor football is if some of the Big Sky splits off.

thats a long way from anywhere. Bout 900 miles from Lamar.