9. W. Carolina

FURMAN vs SAMFORD
VMI vs The CITADEL
WOFFORD vs ETSU
GARDNER-WEBB vs W. CAROLINA
CHATTANOOGA vs MERCER

PaladinFan
September 29th, 2019, 01:21 PM
Big matchup in Homewood with a 3-0 SoCon start on the line.

Furman would love to be undefeated in conference play with Samford and ETSU already behind them.

FUGameBreaker
September 29th, 2019, 04:11 PM
Someone from the Samford board has about the worst hot take I think I have ever read considering its context.
Yes both teams are 3-2, but does this idiot realize Samford has played 5 FCS teams and Furman has played 2 FBS teams and 3 FCS teams, come on man don't say dumb crap like this lol:

"No kidding. Their opponents so far are a combined 8-14, and they have yet to play anyone who currently has a record of above .500"

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 29th, 2019, 04:16 PM
I was 1-4 this past week. ETSU vs. Furman was what I thought was. Wofford and Samford shocked me yet again whilst Mercer is falling apart. Without further ado, my rankings are as follows:

1) Furman - did not have the offense, but just enough defense
2) Samford - won in a marathon
3) Wofford - did not have the defense but had plenty of offense
4) The Citadel - tough road loss
5) ETSU - nothing to be ashamed of
6) VMI - slowly but surely confirming to me that the ETSU was a bizarro fluke
7) Chattanooga - brought the pain train against WCU
8) Mercer - bless their hearts
9) Western Carolina - got the daylights kicked out of

Week 6 Games
VMI @ The Citadel - Bulldogs retain the Silver Shako for another year
Furman @ Samford (Game of the Week) - Paladins keep it going
Wofford @ ETSU - Bucs capture their first win vs. Wofford since their return
Gardner-Webb @ Western Carolina - Catamounts find a way to lose at home
Chattanooga @ Mercer - Mocs bring the pain train to Macon

Sir William
September 29th, 2019, 04:19 PM
1. Furman
2. ETSU
3. Samford
4. The Citadel
5. Wofford
6. UTC
7. VMI
8. Mercer
9. W Carolina

The Citadel over VMI
Furman over Samford
ETSU over Wofford
W Carolina over GW
UTC over Mercer

sudog03
September 29th, 2019, 04:38 PM
Someone from the Samford board has about the worst hot take I think I have ever read considering its context.
Yes both teams are 3-2, but does this idiot realize Samford has played 5 FCS teams and Furman has played 2 FBS teams and 3 FCS teams, come on man don't say dumb crap like this lol:

"No kidding. Their opponents so far are a combined 8-14, and they have yet to play anyone who currently has a record of above .500"

Yes, this idiot also thinks the FBS teams you have played aren't very good. His opinion would also be the FCS teams you've played aren't very good either.

FUGameBreaker
September 29th, 2019, 04:46 PM
Yes, this idiot also thinks the FBS teams you have played aren't very good. His opinion would also be the FCS teams you've played aren't very good either.

I am sorry did I miss something, where Samford now feels privileged to give themselves credit for LOSING FCS games while bashing Furman for barely losing to ACC Virginia Tech xlolxxlolx
You can't be serious lol

Yes you played Youngstown and Tenn. Tech, two potentially decent FCS teams, but you loooooossssssttttt

sudog03
September 29th, 2019, 04:54 PM
I don't think I credited Samford for losing anything. Point was Furman schedule so far has consisted of 2 bad FBS teams and 3 below average FCS teams. The Massey rating average of Samford FCS opponents is 51. Average of Furmans FCS opponents so far is 86. Looking forward to a great game. Ya'll certainly are due for a win against us.

youwouldno
September 29th, 2019, 04:57 PM
1. Furman
2. Samford
3. The Citadel
4. Wofford
5. ETSU
6. UTC
7. Mercer
8. VMI
9. W Carolina

VMI @ The Citadel - Should be an easy win for El Cid.
Furman @ Samford - Likely a close contest.
Wofford @ ETSU - I'm not sold on ETSU despite the close Furman game, and think ETSU's defensive strengths (e.g., edge rush, DB coverage) don't play as well against option teams.
Gardner-Webb @ Western Carolina - Two horrible teams, going with home field advantage.
Chattanooga @ Mercer- Two bad teams, going with home field advantage.

gofurman
September 29th, 2019, 05:33 PM
I don't think I credited Samford for losing anything. Point was Furman schedule so far has consisted of 2 bad FBS teams and 3 below average FCS teams. The Massey rating average of Samford FCS opponents is 51. Average of Furmans FCS opponents so far is 86. Looking forward to a great game. Ya'll certainly are due for a win against us.

sudog, you are pretty objective. I think it's fair to say that BAD FBS is still better than "ok to good FCS" - VTech would easily be top 5 FCS. believe me. GSU easily top 10/15 FCS. we are 3-0 vs 2 (yes, bad) FCS in CSU and Mercer though even CSU almost beat top 20 NC&T ! win over one decent FCS. Recall ETSU beat a good Austin Peay team (AP beat JSU yesterday) by a score of 20-14. They have a great D.

My take, ETSU could maybe beat Wofford if they can find an offense. they can stop the run some. Also, ETSU just got back two of their 4 best players on D. they are much better vs us than in prior 2 weeks.

Samford can certainly beat Furman. no doubt about it. but you better be ready to stop the run

bonarae
September 29th, 2019, 05:44 PM
The Citadel
Furman
Wofford
WCU
Mercer

sudog03
September 29th, 2019, 05:57 PM
but you better be ready to stop the run

Was really pleased with our effort against the run yesterday. Held Citadel to 2.8 per carry on 95 attempts. They gashed us with the throw game, had a couple of drives aided by penalty, and a couple of scoring drives aided by short field turnovers.

ElCid
September 29th, 2019, 05:59 PM
VMI@ The Citadel - Should be an easy win for El Cid.

Yeah, it rarely is an easy game. Keydets usually step up for our game. I will be totally honest, and really not sandbagging, but we could lose this and I wouldn't be surprised. On paper, we should win by 2-3 scores. But that is usually irrelevant.

I am a bit concerned about our QB as well. If he is not good, I feel ok with backup, but I really hope we don't start alternating in game.

PaladinFan
September 29th, 2019, 06:13 PM
Was really pleased with our effort against the run yesterday. Held Citadel to 2.8 per carry on 95 attempts. They gashed us with the throw game, had a couple of drives aided by penalty, and a couple of scoring drives aided by short field turnovers.

I wouldn't read too much into that. The Citadel's QB was basically Long John Silver out there. True gamer, but it's hard to run an option offense without a QB that can cut or run. Rainey essentially could pitch it quickly or just follow a block up the middle.

Late in the second half, Samford was stacking 9 men in the box. They knew Rainey couldn't scramble or get outside the tackles.

sudog03
September 29th, 2019, 06:20 PM
We held Wofford almost a full 2 yards below their current yard per rush average for the season in our matchup with them. I feel pretty good about rushing defense. Furman certainly presents a good challenge in that regard.

You could tell Rainey was banged up, but I think citadel watched us get pushed around by YSU and had the mindset they were going to do the same thing. Citadel not YSU and our front 7 has improved markedly since that contest.

The Cats
September 29th, 2019, 07:27 PM
FURMAN vs SAMFORD
VMI vs The CITADEL
WOFFORD vs ETSU
GARDNER-WEBB vs WESTERN CAROLINA
CHATTANOOGA vs MERCER

SU DOG
September 29th, 2019, 07:37 PM
What is posted on what I will call "local message boards" should never be quoted on AGS. That is just my feeling, and others can disagree. Yes, it is public domain and is there for the viewing, but it can open up a can of worms that doesn't need to be opened. For example, I could go and quote from The UFFP and then you could counter, I could counter counter, and the spiral goes on and on. If it is posted here, then it is open game of course. Again, just my opinion, but think about it, and I believe you will understand my point.

SU DOG
September 29th, 2019, 08:18 PM
sudog, you are pretty objective. I think it's fair to say that BAD FBS is still better than "ok to good FCS" - VTech would easily be top 5 FCS. believe me. GSU easily top 10/15 FCS. we are 3-0 vs 2 (yes, bad) FCS in CSU and Mercer though even CSU almost beat top 20 NC&T ! win over one decent FCS. Recall ETSU beat a good Austin Peay team (AP beat JSU yesterday) by a score of 20-14. They have a great D.

My take, ETSU could maybe beat Wofford if they can find an offense. they can stop the run some. Also, ETSU just got back two of their 4 best players on D. they are much better vs us than in prior 2 weeks.

Samford can certainly beat Furman. no doubt about it. but you better be ready to stop the run

I don't know much about ETSU, since that game is still 2 weeks away, but I did watch the game vs Furman. I'm not knocking the Bucs, BUT I will say that I saw many many missed tackles by ETSU in that game. Maybe FU RBs are just that good? I honestly don't know, but seeing those missed tackles sure made me wonder about all this high praise for the Bucs' defense.

Also, I could be completely wrong(have been countless times) but I am more concerned with Furman's passing. Our run defense is not what it was at the seasons beginning. New starters have caught on, and these are very talented athletes. I thought that your QB had maybe his worse outing of the year, and that contributed to the ETSU ability to stop drives. Maybe I'm looking at it backwards and the ETSU defense caused that, again I don't know - would like your opinion. I am certain, however, that Granger will be sharp and give us fits with his rollouts AND pocket passing.

gofurman
September 29th, 2019, 08:37 PM
I think both Furman v Samford (Furman please win!) and the Woff ETSU game are interesting - strength on strength there though I think Woff is catching there mojo and while not an option team they figured out how to at least stick w more running ... they are playin' way better nowthan the team that lost to SC State. that was a huge coaching error v SC State in my opinion that could hurt them for playoffs

PaladinFan
September 29th, 2019, 08:41 PM
I don't know much about ETSU, since that game is still 2 weeks away, but I did watch the game vs Furman. I'm not knocking the Bucs, BUT I will say that I saw many many missed tackles by ETSU in that game. Maybe FU RBs are just that good? I honestly don't know, but seeing those missed tackles sure made me wonder about all this high praise for the Bucs' defense.

Also, I could be completely wrong(have been countless times) but I am more concerned with Furman's passing. Our run defense is not what it was at the seasons beginning. New starters have caught on, and these are very talented athletes. I thought that your QB had maybe his worse outing of the year, and that contributed to the ETSU ability to stop drives. Maybe I'm looking at it backwards and the ETSU defense caused that, again I don't know - would like your opinion. I am certain, however, that Granger will be sharp and give us fits with his rollouts AND pocket passing.

These are just a few of my attempts at objective observations.

I think Furman's less than banner day offensively was partially ETSU's strong defensive play and partially Furman missing on some execution. Grainger is still a freshman and ETSU was doing some things he probably had not seen before. They deserve a lot of credit for slowing down a Furman attack that really no one had been able to limit through the first four games.

I agree, the complexity that Furman brings that Wofford and the Citadel do not is the air game, and not in a "catch you napping chunk down field" way. Furman's offense, though, has a lot of working parts with shifts, motions, personnel changes, etc. that I think sometimes there's a lot of potential for breakdown. When working, its hard to defense, but there's also a lot of opportunites for things to go amiss.

Grainger has all the pieces. He's got a huge arm, can make every throw, and also is dangerous with his feet. His decision making is improving. Like any young QB, he's prone to a bad game. Even then, he made plays late when he needed to.

Saturday was probably a game Furman loses last year.

SU DOG
September 29th, 2019, 08:52 PM

I think Furman's less than banner day offensively was partially ETSU's strong defensive play and partially Furman missing on some execution. Grainger is still a freshman and ETSU was doing some things he probably had not seen before. They deserve a lot of credit for slowing down a Furman attack that really no one had been able to limit through the first four games.

I agree, the complexity that Furman brings that Wofford and the Citadel do not is the air game, and not in a "catch you napping chunk down field" way. Furman's offense, though, has a lot of working parts with shifts, motions, personnel changes, etc. that I think sometimes there's a lot of potential for breakdown. When working, its hard to defense, but there's also a lot of opportunites for things to go amiss.

Grainger has all the pieces. He's got a huge arm, can make every throw, and also is dangerous with his feet. His decision making is improving. Like any young QB, he's prone to a bad game. Even then, he made plays late when he needed to.

Good analysis IMO. It should be a real barn-burner Saturday.

PaladinFan
September 29th, 2019, 09:16 PM
Good analysis IMO. It should be a real barn-burner Saturday.

Both teams won a gut check game Saturday, so that'll prepare them, I think. This is a big one for both teams.

gofurman
September 29th, 2019, 09:29 PM

PaladinFan, agree 100% ! ETSU d deserves big credit - esp w 45/49/13/16 all back now they are a great D. Also, our O did mess up some as caoch alluded to - we had guys not in the right position. That is a losing proposition against a good team. We can't make those same mistakes much longer (Tbs not in position for pitches) or it will bite us. Also agree w what you are saying about the complexity of our shifts etc. its great when working but we can mess it up too...

FUGameBreaker
September 29th, 2019, 10:27 PM

That's my point, you point out the FCS opponent average, but guess what you lost 2 of your FCS games so what difference does it make, I am not really sure what point you were trying to make really
If your discussing which team has played a tougher schedule its Furman with 2 FBS games that were both razor close, if its to say who has the best win its Samford by a very slight margin as Wofford has really proved nothing to this point, but Samford also has the 2 worst loses to a low rated Tenn Tech and a blowout to YSU

Sagarin:
http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

FUGameBreaker
September 30th, 2019, 12:54 AM
Vote for the FU @ SU SoCon first place battle this weekend as the AGS FCS game of the week:
https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?235454-2019-10-05-AGS-GOTW-Week-6

SU DOG
September 30th, 2019, 09:16 AM
That's my point, you point out the FCS opponent average, but guess what you lost 2 of your FCS games so what difference does it make, I am not really sure what point you were trying to make really
If your discussing which team has played a tougher schedule its Furman with 2 FBS games that were both razor close, if its to say who has the best win its Samford by a very slight margin as Wofford has really proved nothing to this point, but Samford also has the 2 worst loses to a low rated Tenn Tech and a blowout to YSU

Sagarin:
http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

I think the real point here is that these are 2 great schools with good football teams playing an important game with lots on the line. Your 2 close FBS losses don't really mean jack for this game. We just beat a team who had a WIN over a ACC team, and Furman will not intimidate us. Will Furman be intimidated coming into this game realizing that in the last 5 years Samford is 4-1 against the Paladins? Of course NOT.

Take comfort, if you like, in the fact that we looked bad in dropping those first 2 games. I can promise you, however, that the team you will see Saturday will bear little resemblance to that team. I'm not boasting that we will dominate this game, or that I don't respect the Paladins. You can check back and see I have posted many compliments about Grainger, the FU offense, and Furman's team. On the other hand, there have been many references that Samford doesn't have a run defense - based mainly on stats from the first two games. Opinion also seems to be that we beat Wofford there because of their offensive scheme changes. The Citadel win was only because their QB was injured. I think IF we can get a win Saturday, hopefully, that might finally garner Samford a little respect. Getting that win won't be easy but it is NOT out of the realm of possibility.

Mocs123
September 30th, 2019, 09:34 AM
VMI - 24
The Citadel – 35 – Just how healthy is Rainey? – I get the feeling that 1.) VMI will be up for this game, and 2.) The Citadel will be tired after a 4OT slugfest with Safmford last week. This could be closer than most of us think.

Furman – 42 – How healthy is Oladokun? I think Furman wins either way, but the game will be close if he’s healthy. Edit to appease Furman fans: The #1 Scoring Defense going against the #1 Scoring Offense.
Samford - 35

Wofford – 21 – Edit to appease the Furman fans: Two of the better defenses in the conference facing off. I could really see this one going either way, but I’m going to say the Terriers win a close one here.
ETSU - 17

Gardner-Webb - 41
Western Carolina – 49 – Western’s D isn’t good, but Tyrie is a game changer and should be enough to get the win against the Bulldogs.

Chattanooga – 31 – Chattanooga limps away into the bye week after a hard fought game in Macon.
Mercer - 28

1. Furman – The Clear class of the SoCon.
2. Samford – Have they righted the ship? Wins over Wofford and The Citadel put them here.
3. The Citadel – 3 hard fought losses – all too good teams.
4. Chattanooga – Ranked above Wofford, ETSU, and Mercer because they are yet to lose a game they were supposed to win.
5. Wofford – Wofford looks to have found their groove, but haven’t beat a quality team yet.
6. ETSU – Played hard against Furman. Best defense in the SoCon.
7. Mercer – Campbell may not be as bad as we think, but after 2 early wins have lost 3 straight, hopefully 4 straight after Saturday.
8. VMI – Didn’t roll over against Wofford. Lost to Robert Morris.
9. Western Carolina – Defense is bad, but the offense may be better with Tyrie back.

Possible D1 Wins (FBS games not counted, except the Bulldogs win over GT)
Chattanooga – 9
The Citadel – 9
Furman – 9 – Best chance at a autobid, but a big game this week.
Samford – 9
Mercer – 8
Western Carolina – 8
Wofford – 8
ETSU – 7 - need to win out remaining SoCon games to make the playoffs. Scheduling 2 FBS games and a D2 hurt their playoff hopes. Austin Peay is the best quality FCS win by the SoCon this year. (who ever thought I would say that).

FUGameBreaker
September 30th, 2019, 09:51 AM
I think the real point here is that these are 2 great schools with good football teams playing an important game with lots on the line. Your 2 close FBS losses don't really mean jack for this game. We just beat a team who had a WIN over a ACC team, and Furman will not intimidate us. Will Furman be intimidated coming into this game realizing that in the last 5 years Samford is 4-1 against the Paladins? Of course NOT.

Take comfort, if you like, in the fact that we looked bad in dropping those first 2 games. I can promise you, however, that the team you will see Saturday will bear little resemblance to that team. I'm not boasting that we will dominate this game, or that I don't respect the Paladins. You can check back and see I have posted many compliments about Grainger, the FU offense, and Furman's team. On the other hand, there have been many references that Samford doesn't have a run defense - based mainly on stats from the first two games. Opinion also seems to be that we beat Wofford there because of their offensive scheme changes. The Citadel win was only because their QB was injured. I think IF we can get a win Saturday, hopefully, that might finally garner Samford a little respect. Getting that win won't be easy but it is NOT out of the realm of possibility.

Your post does not mean Jack, it was your Samford buddy that tried to point out flaws in Furman's schedule when the irony of the whole thing is Furman has played a better schedule with 2 FBS games to your none and been a better football team so far as you have lost 2 FCS games, one of which was a BLOWOUT
So don't come at us for our schedule, which has been tougher than your own, thanks

SU DOG
September 30th, 2019, 10:18 AM
Your post does not mean Jack, it was your Samford buddy that tried to point out flaws in Furman's schedule when the irony of the whole thing is Furman has played a better schedule with 2 FBS games to your none and been a better football team so far as you have lost 2 FCS games, one of which was a BLOWOUT
So don't come at us for our schedule, which has been tougher than your own, thanks

Actually, neither team's schedule means anything right now. And you are more than welcome.

SU DOG
September 30th, 2019, 10:20 AM
Vote for the FU @ SU SoCon first place battle this weekend as the AGS FCS game of the week:
https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?235454-2019-10-05-AGS-GOTW-Week-6

I have done so - hey, common grounds for us to be in agreement. LOL

FUGameBreaker
September 30th, 2019, 10:31 AM
I have done so - hey, common grounds for us to be in agreement. LOL

True that xthumbsupx

FUGameBreaker
September 30th, 2019, 10:34 AM
Latest FCS coaches poll:

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fcs/fcs-coaches-poll

https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1178699192765734912

walliver
September 30th, 2019, 10:50 AM
Power Rankings:
1) Furman - came away with a win
2) Samford - better than most give them credit for
3-5 are a toss-up
3.1) Chattanooga - finally scoring some points
3.2) Wofford - offense finally starting to click, but don't quite have the personnel to make it work completely. Defensive line hurt be injuries and freshmen need to step it up as the season progresses.
3.3) ETSU - Played FU close, and VMI is better than usual/
6) The Citadel - 1-0 in the ACC, now 1-3 in FCS. Close losses are still losses.
7) VMI - expect a lot of scores by both teams this week
8) Mercer - Campbell's transition from Pioneer to scholarship may not be as dramatic as Mercer's, but longer term they will do well. There was still no excuse for the Bears losing to them. I was tempted to rate them last just for that, but then there's ...
9) WCU - Is the campus built on sacred Indian burial grounds? Has someone put a Hogwart's curse on the school?

This week:
Furman at Samford - The Purple Pukes should win, but you never know with the Hatch Attack. They could get hot and score a lot. Sammy keeps it close, but Furman wins 31-27
VMI at the Citadel - both teams come ready to play, but the Keydets are healthier and pull off a 38-35 upset in 2 OT's.
Wofford at ETSU - Which Buc team shows up for this one? I see a low scoring ground it out game with a 17-14 Terrier victory
Gardner Webb at Western Carolina - This could be an ugly game. GWU has a win over NC Central. WCU has a close win over North Greenville, but they did score more points against UNC than Clemson did. The Cants somehow win 77-70.
Chattanooga at Mercer - A must win game for Bobby Lamb. He rallies the troops for a 30-27 Mercer win.

FUGameBreaker
September 30th, 2019, 12:21 PM
Stats media poll:
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20190930125050771222204

FUGameBreaker
September 30th, 2019, 12:23 PM
https://twitter.com/SamfordFootball/status/1178716269228515328

apaladin
September 30th, 2019, 01:16 PM
I agree with SU dog. I put no importance on Samford's first 2 games a month ago. Remember Furman had an 0-3 start last year and was a much better team by week 6. Same holds true for Samford this year. I think it will be a good game. I'll take a one point FU win right now.

FUGameBreaker
September 30th, 2019, 01:29 PM
I agree with SU dog. I put no importance on Samford's first 2 games a month ago. Remember Furman had an 0-3 start last year and was a much better team by week 6. Same holds true for Samford this year. I think it will be a good game. I'll take a one point FU win right now.

You do realize Samford barely beat Wofford and Citadel, its not like they are all the sudden world beaters, its a very fine line for them from being anywhere from 4-1 to 1-4 against 5 FCS opponents

Matter of fact the 2 best passing teams they played beat them, FU is much better in the air than Wofford and Citadel, that will matter on Saturday xnodx

SCPALADIN
September 30th, 2019, 01:30 PM
VMI - 24
The Citadel – 35 – Just how healthy is Rainey? – I get the feeling that 1.) VMI will be up for this game, and 2.) The Citadel will be tired after a 4OT slugfest with Safmford last week. This could be closer than most of us think.

Furman – 42 – How healthy is Oladokun? I think Furman wins either way, but the game will be close if he’s healthy.
Samford - 35

Wofford – 21 – The two best defenses in the conference facing off. I could really see this one going either way, but I’m going to say the Terriers win a close one here.
ETSU - 17

Gardner-Webb - 41
Western Carolina – 49 – Western’s D isn’t good, but Tyrie is a game changer and should be enough to get the win against the Bulldogs.

Chattanooga – 31 – Chattanooga limps away into the bye week after a hard fought game in Macon.
Mercer - 28

1. Furman – The Clear class of the SoCon.
2. Samford – Have they righted the ship? Wins over Wofford and The Citadel put them here.
3. The Citadel – 3 hard fought losses – all too good teams.
4. Chattanooga – Ranked above Wofford, ETSU, and Mercer because they are yet to lose a game they were supposed to win.
5. Wofford – Wofford looks to have found their groove, but haven’t beat a quality team yet.
6. ETSU – Played hard against Furman. Best defense in the SoCon.
7. Mercer – Campbell may not be as bad as we think, but after 2 early wins have lost 3 straight, hopefully 4 straight after Saturday.
8. VMI – Didn’t roll over against Wofford. Lost to Robert Morris.
9. Western Carolina – Defense is bad, but the offense may be better with Tyrie back.

Possible D1 Wins (FBS games not counted, except the Bulldogs win over GT)
Chattanooga – 9
The Citadel – 9
Furman – 9 – Best chance at a autobid, but a big game this week.
Samford – 9
Mercer – 8
Western Carolina – 8
Wofford – 8
ETSU – 7 - need to win out remaining SoCon games to make the playoffs. Scheduling 2 FBS games and a D2 hurt their playoff hopes. Austin Peay is the best quality FCS win by the SoCon this year. (who ever thought I would say that).

Care to elaborate?

Mocs123
September 30th, 2019, 02:22 PM
Care to elaborate?

Furman fans getting all on their purple high horse :). I'm well aware that Furman holds a slight edge on scoring defense and has probably played a tougher schedule than either ETSU or Wofford, but it features the top two defenses in Total Defense. Anything said now is like a pre-season conference ranking - it doesn't mean crap until the season is over. And I'm also painfully aware of a team that for the first time in a long time isn't near the top in either Total Defense or Scoring Defense - Chattanooga, which is sixth in both.

TOTAL DEFENSE
G
Rush
Pass
Plays
Yards
Avg/P
TD
Avg/G

ETSU

Wofford

FUGameBreaker
September 30th, 2019, 03:06 PM
Furman fans getting all on their purple high horse :). I'm well aware that Furman holds a slight edge on scoring defense and has probably played a tougher schedule than either ETSU or Wofford, but it features the top two defenses in Total Defense. Anything said now is like a pre-season conference ranking - it doesn't mean crap until the season is over. And I'm also painfully aware of a team that for the first time in a long time isn't near the top in either Total Defense or Scoring Defense - Chattanooga, which is sixth in both.

TOTAL DEFENSE
G
Rush
Pass
Plays
Yards
Avg/P
TD
Avg/G

ETSU

Wofford

Give me less points as opposed to less yards 365 days a year

ElCid
September 30th, 2019, 03:16 PM
Give me less points as opposed to less yards 365 days a year

Yeah, yards are a general indicator, not an absolute one. Always need to look at the dirty details.

Mocs123
September 30th, 2019, 03:35 PM
Care to elaborate?

See if it is now fixed to your satisfaction, Mr. SCPALADIN Sir.

SU DOG
September 30th, 2019, 04:57 PM
You do realize Samford barely beat Wofford and Citadel, its not like they are all the sudden world beaters, its a very fine line for them from being anywhere from 4-1 to 1-4 against 5 FCS opponents

Matter of fact the 2 best passing teams they played beat them, FU is much better in the air than Wofford and Citadel, that will matter on Saturday xnodx

You know you just might want to consider the possibility that when your team(Furman) plays these 2 good teams, The Citadel and Wofford, that a "barely" win might be welcomed. Furman is a terrific team I agree, and it might happen that Saturday they will blow us away. Also, NOBODY said anything about Samford being world beaters, but do you realize that the Paladins might NOT be world beaters either? If they are, then the remaining season will prove it. There is a lot of football left in the SoCon, and there are MANY unexpected things that can happen. I like your enthusiasm, but I, in a friendly way, caution you to sorta temper your comments at least at this point in the season.

gofurman
September 30th, 2019, 06:37 PM
You know you just might want to consider the possibility that when your team(Furman) plays these 2 good teams, The Citadel and Wofford, that a "barely" win might be welcomed. Furman is a terrific team I agree, and it might happen that Saturday they will blow us away. Also, NOBODY said anything about Samford being world beaters, but do you realize that the Paladins might NOT be world beaters either? If they are, then the remaining season will prove it. There is a lot of football left in the SoCon, and there are MANY unexpected things that can happen. I like your enthusiasm, but I, in a friendly way, caution you to sorta temper your comments at least at this point in the season.

agree that ALL posters should temper comments. no one other than NDSU can claim world-beater status. Samford is very good and can easily win this game.

gofurman
September 30th, 2019, 06:46 PM

TOTAL DEFENSE
G
Rush
Pass
Plays
Yards
Avg/P
TD
Avg/G

ETSU

Wofford

i am known for being objective... let's be honest. Furman has played TWO FBS in Georgia State and Virginia Tech. Wofford has not played an FBS (yet.. they will!) and ETSU has played ONE FBS - App State. ETSU I will give has a great defense- Furman has scored 43 CSU, 42 GSU!, 17 VTech, 45 Mercer and 17 ETSU. ETSU matched V TEch !! But to compare Wofford - who is improving - and has played GWU, SC State and VMI and no FBS? yeah, that's just not fair.

THat said, I think Woff wins as both have good D but ETSU really needs to find something on O.

Mocs123
September 30th, 2019, 08:02 PM
Henrick(sp) was the heart and soul of that team. We saw it last year when they started off terribly without him and started winning when he came off the bench. I'm not saying ETSU isn't a good team without him, but they aren't what they were last season. The other issue with ETSU is by playing 2 FBS games and a D2 this year, they severily impacted their ability to make the playoffs unless they win the autobid (which is not impossible, but they would need help after Saturday).

rtzlunar
September 30th, 2019, 08:14 PM
Can FUBear or someone from Mercer point me to the Mercer tailgating rules? I’m planning my first trip to Macon for a game. Thanks.

ElCid
September 30th, 2019, 08:25 PM
Can FUBear or someone from Mercer point me to the Mercer tailgating rules? I’m planning my first trip to Macon for a game. Thanks.

At the two games I went to while I lived in middle Georgia, it was pretty nice. They had a section pretty much reserved for us. Our local club had a tent even. Not sure they do that any more.

FUBeAR
September 30th, 2019, 08:37 PM
Can FUBear or someone from Mercer point me to the Mercer tailgating rules? I’m planning my first trip to Macon for a game. Thanks.Rules? You pays yer money & you drinks yer beer. We don’t need no stinkin’ rules!

Maybe this is what you’re seeking - https://www.mercergameday.com/

gofurman
September 30th, 2019, 09:21 PM
Mercer does seem to do a great job w crowd - Furman has way more tradition and averages about 6K per crowd.. I think I saw Mercer had about 10K per game. kudos on that - now about that D...

FUGameBreaker
September 30th, 2019, 10:23 PM

I have only spoken to what has happened for Furman and Samford for the first 5 games of the season, nothing but facts from me, not sure where you're missing the boat but that's on you, I have made no predictions and I am well aware that anything can happen on Saturday xthumbsupx

PaladinFan
October 1st, 2019, 06:46 AM
Interesting game between ETSU and Wofford. It's a critical game for both teams. A loss here probably scuttles ETSU, as I don't see a three loss SoCon team in the post season. If they Bucs can finish 6-2 in the SoCon, their win against APSU will probably look pretty good.

ETSU will be the best team Wofford's played this year and by far the best defense.

SCPALADIN
October 1st, 2019, 07:17 AM
See if it is now fixed to your satisfaction, Mr. SCPALADIN Sir.

Nope...yards don't win games.

PaladinFan
October 1st, 2019, 07:42 AM
Nope...yards don't win games.

I make this argument routinely. Football is decided on points scored (or not scored), not on total yardage.

SU DOG
October 1st, 2019, 08:02 AM
Interesting to see what the bookies say about Saturday's games. I post this for entertainment purposes ONLY. Current Lines:

VMI @ The Citadel - The Citadel by 17 points.

GWU @ Western - Catamounts by 6 points.

Wofford @ ETSU - Terriers by 1 point.

UTC @ Mercer - Mocs by 1.5 points.

Furman @ SAMFORD - Paladins by 3.5 points(2.5 yesterday).

Great SoCon schedule for this Saturday for sure. Lots of questions will be answered.

Mocs123
October 1st, 2019, 08:07 AM
4 of the 5 games are predicted to be one score games, and in one score games anything can happen.

SU DOG
October 1st, 2019, 08:19 AM
4 of the 5 games are predicted to be one score games, and in one score games anything can happen.

So true, and that lopsided line may be way too high for the military classic. BTW, I meant to add that UNCG has an off date.

FUGameBreaker
October 1st, 2019, 09:42 AM
So true, and that lopsided line may be way too high for the military classic. BTW, I meant to add that UNCG has an off date.

Lol, love this xlolxxthumbsupx

BearDownMU
October 1st, 2019, 09:43 AM
Furman @ SAMFORD - Paladins by 3.5 points(2.5 yesterday)..

When all the BearDownMU money comes in on Purple, this line will move again. ;)

FUGameBreaker
October 1st, 2019, 09:50 AM

xbeerchugx

SU DOG
October 1st, 2019, 09:52 AM

I will try to remember to send you a link late Saturday for 'Go Fund Me.' xlolx

gofurman
October 1st, 2019, 02:48 PM
I make this argument routinely. Football is decided on points scored (or not scored), not on total yardage.

sure, but the 600 yards vs Mercer sure worked out better than the 270 yeards vs ETSU. Yards and turnovers matter a lot. There is a huge coorelation between teams that outgain the opponent by over 100 yards and winning. same as turnover ratio goes straight to winning. Of course, as you note, points and winning is a 100% coorelation xnodx

PaladinFan
October 1st, 2019, 03:19 PM
sure, but the 600 yards vs Mercer sure worked out better than the 270 yeards vs ETSU. Yards and turnovers matter a lot. There is a huge coorelation between teams that outgain the opponent by over 100 yards and winning. same as turnover ratio goes straight to winning. Of course, as you note, points and winning is a 100% coorelation xnodx

How so? They worked out the same - Furman won both games. Yes, the Mercer margin was more comfortable, but the result was the same.

Every game is different. Outside of one drive where Furman turned the ball over in the own zone, ETSU never really threatened. Furman had a lead and was content to keep punting the Bucs offense deep.

Would 600 yards have been nice? Sure. But the object of the game is to have more points than the other team, not more yards.

gofurman
October 1st, 2019, 04:46 PM
. How so? They worked out the same - Furman won both games. Yes, the Mercer margin was more comfortable, but the result was the same.

Every game is different. Outside of one drive where Furman turned the ball over in the own zone, ETSU never really threatened. Furman had a lead and was content to keep punting the Bucs offense deep.

Would 600 yards have been nice? Sure. But the object of the game is to have more points than the other team, not more yards.

How so??? C’mon man. Yes Furman won both games. LOOK at long term. . ONE more turnover in ETSU AND we may be headed to OT. two more turnovers and ETSU may win. Give Mercer two turnovers and so what we still win. That’s why Clemson or Bama and UGA wins every freakin week. They are so far above the others in yards and execution that a bad week on turnovers can’t often get them. It’s called CUSHION. That’s part of the goal. Winning and cushion. NDSU has cushion. A bad week of execution and they still win. Or they will in playoffs.

put it this way. We lost to FBS Pitt in 04 in a close game. LONG TERM I was so excited after watching that game ... and we turned out to be awesome that year. Awesome!!! I didn’t really even care about the loss because our stats were so phenomenal you could see what was coming. And come it did ! We made a push to win it all that year losing a heartbreaker to JMU. Compare that loss to an FBS WIN over UCF in 15. We sucked. Fired our coach soon within a year as a matter of fact. . It ain’t just wins and losses. The loss to Pittsburgh indicated better things than the win over UCF. How you play and yards matter too in THE LONG TERM.

The NE Patriots lose reg season games. No one cares. Because it’s the process etc too. And that process leads to wins later. In the games that really count.

gofurman
October 1st, 2019, 05:02 PM
I will try to remember to send you a link late Saturday for 'Go Fund Me.' xlolx

SU DOG. I saw your other post about Oladokun etc. is anyone else out for this game that starts for Samford? What do you see as your strengths. Weaknesses?

No secret we are missing our starting LB Vann. Maybe our TB (quick guy number 3) but I think he is playing.

Man you you jammed up a ton a guys in the bid vs Citadel to stop run. Basically sold out v run and it worked though 22 (recvr May play on Sunday) burnt you. But I guess your coaches were ok w that. As long as Cit couldn’t run. And they couldn’t. All those rushes for only less than 3 per carry. That scares me as Furman runs more than we pass

thoughts?

SU DOG
October 1st, 2019, 05:50 PM
SU DOG. I saw your other post about Oladokun etc. is anyone else out for this game that starts for Samford? What do you see as your strengths. Weaknesses?

No secret we are missing our starting LB Vann. Maybe our TB (quick guy number 3) but I think he is playing.

Man you you jammed up a ton a guys in the bid vs Citadel to stop run. Basically sold out v run and it worked though 22 (recvr May play on Sunday) burnt you. But I guess your coaches were ok w that. As long as Cit couldn’t run. And they couldn’t. All those rushes for only less than 3 per carry. That scares me as Furman runs more than we pass

thoughts?

First I know I'm repeating myself, but I don't even count that 04 game at Pitt as a Furman loss. Talk about FBS bias, that was pure highway robbery by those officials.
As for our injuries, I have NO idea about Oladokun or any others. I know that out coaches were NOT OK with our pass defense. Some of the number of defensive players in the box was due to what The Citadel lined up in offensively. They sometimes had every player in really tight.

As for Saturday, I am very concerned about Grainger. If he has the game he did against ETSU, then we have a very good chance, however, I don't expect that will be the case. I have seen him be SO good that he looked like a seasoned veteran. I actually fear his passing probably more than anything else I've seen from FU. As for us on defense, we had a bunch of new, but not young, starters. I have been thrilled at their progress. Our big interior tackles are not only close to 300 pounds, but they are also extremely mobile. Against The Citadel they had 27 tackles between them. Our MLB has been a huge pleasant surprise, and currently leads the SoCon in tackles.
On offense, we hopefully now have a decent running game. Again, without Oladokun it will be less effective. Our passing game has not been sharp recently for some reason. I know that Adrian Hope is gearing up to try to pad his sack record, and that is a big concern to me. Miss a tackle though, and we have several receivers who will make you pay.
Hey, we can't play this game before Saturday - LOL.

FU_Paladin08
October 1st, 2019, 07:23 PM
1. Furman: Winning the games they should. No shame in the two losses to FBS.

These next 5 could probably go in any order based on their inconsistent play up to this point.

2. Samford: Slow start but turning it around. Can they find the defense needed to win the conference?
3. ETSU: Convinced VMI was just a bad game. That defense will carry the team until the offense comes around.
4. UTC: Toughest schedule by far.
5. Citadel: I want them to be better, they know they can be better. Just need to finish. No glory in close losses.
6. Wofford: Have they finally found their identity, or are the wins a product of the competition? Watch for a late-season run if they want to move up this list.
7. VMI: Putting up points in chunks. Every team’s trap game (just ask ETSU).
8. Mercer: Such promise to start the season...I don’t even recognize this team anymore.
9. WCU: Poor Western.

Furman v Samford: Time for Furman to turn the tide on this series and stop the bleeding.
UTC v Mercer: Score-fest
Wofford v ETSU: close game but home field adv to Bucs
VMI v Citadel: see above. Close but home field wins
WCU v GWU: please help the SoCon with OOC games

kdinva
October 1st, 2019, 08:15 PM
FURMAN 35 @ SAMFORD 20
VMI 35 @ The CITADEL 33
WOFFORD 34 @ ETSU 24
GARDNER-WEBB 17 @ WCU 27
UTC 27 @ MERCER 20

PaladinFan
October 2nd, 2019, 04:55 AM
First I know I'm repeating myself, but I don't even count that 04 game at Pitt as a Furman loss. Talk about FBS bias, that was pure highway robbery by those officials.
As for our injuries, I have NO idea about Oladokun or any others. I know that out coaches were NOT OK with our pass defense. Some of the number of defensive players in the box was due to what The Citadel lined up in offensively. They sometimes had every player in really tight.

As for Saturday, I am very concerned about Grainger. If he has the game he did against ETSU, then we have a very good chance, however, I don't expect that will be the case. I have seen him be SO good that he looked like a seasoned veteran. I actually fear his passing probably more than anything else I've seen from FU. As for us on defense, we had a bunch of new, but not young, starters. I have been thrilled at their progress. Our big interior tackles are not only close to 300 pounds, but they are also extremely mobile. Against The Citadel they had 27 tackles between them. Our MLB has been a huge pleasant surprise, and currently leads the SoCon in tackles.
On offense, we hopefully now have a decent running game. Again, without Oladokun it will be less effective. Our passing game has not been sharp recently for some reason. I know that Adrian Hope is gearing up to try to pad his sack record, and that is a big concern to me. Miss a tackle though, and we have several receivers who will make you pay.
Hey, we can't play this game before Saturday - LOL.

Furman, oddly enough, will often lineup in similar “tight” formations with two wing backs.

The difference is that one of the wing backs is often a wide receiver. Defenses have to sort out their coverage on that - they may feel comfortable with their linebacker covering a running back out of the backfield, but not a wideout.

PaladinFan
October 2nd, 2019, 06:53 AM
How so??? C’mon man. Yes Furman won both games. LOOK at long term. . ONE more turnover in ETSU AND we may be headed to OT. two more turnovers and ETSU may win. Give Mercer two turnovers and so what we still win. That’s why Clemson or Bama and UGA wins every freakin week. They are so far above the others in yards and execution that a bad week on turnovers can’t often get them. It’s called CUSHION. That’s part of the goal. Winning and cushion. NDSU has cushion. A bad week of execution and they still win. Or they will in playoffs.

put it this way. We lost to FBS Pitt in 04 in a close game. LONG TERM I was so excited after watching that game ... and we turned out to be awesome that year. Awesome!!! I didn’t really even care about the loss because our stats were so phenomenal you could see what was coming. And come it did ! We made a push to win it all that year losing a heartbreaker to JMU. Compare that loss to an FBS WIN over UCF in 15. We sucked. Fired our coach soon within a year as a matter of fact. . It ain’t just wins and losses. The loss to Pittsburgh indicated better things than the win over UCF. How you play and yards matter too in THE LONG TERM.

The NE Patriots lose reg season games. No one cares. Because it’s the process etc too. And that process leads to wins later. In the games that really count.

I am not arguing yards don't matter. I am just arguing that folks get really wrapped up in a statistic that really doesn't have a direct correlation between winning and losing.

In 2013, Furman won a SoCon title and a playoff game. Know where they finished in the SoCon in yards per game? Dead last.

In fact, Furman's yards per game total that season (318.5 ypg) was significantly behind even the team that finished second to last (Wofford had 355.3 ypg). Furman won a title, Wofford finished with a losing record.

Furman led the conference in virtually no statistic that year except for red zone defense and turnover margin (+12).

Mocs123
October 2nd, 2019, 07:26 AM
That 2013 Furman team was like the 2018 ETSU team - they certainly didn't look dominant and at the end of the season it was hard to believe they won the title.

FUGameBreaker
October 2nd, 2019, 09:31 AM
That 2013 Furman team was like the 2018 ETSU team - they certainly didn't look dominant and at the end of the season it was hard to believe they won the title.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3hbUzV8xCM

SU DOG
October 2nd, 2019, 10:16 AM
Maybe I'm missing something here, but I truly regret spending 4 minutes of my life watching THAT thing.

FUGameBreaker
October 2nd, 2019, 10:19 AM
Maybe I'm missing something here, but I truly regret spending 4 minutes of my life watching THAT thing.

Homage to the 2013 FU references homie xlolx I am surprised you made it through it at all

SU DOG
October 2nd, 2019, 10:25 AM
Homage to the 2013 FU references homie xlolx I am surprised you made it through it at all

Yeah, I was thinking I would see some good game action shots, but instead all I saw was...… I don't know what the heck it was that I saw.

FUGameBreaker
October 2nd, 2019, 10:50 AM
Yeah, I was thinking I would see some good game action shots, but instead all I saw was...… I don't know what the heck it was that I saw.

I mean, we got that too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAa-4fSn054

bigred
October 2nd, 2019, 11:30 AM
That's HOT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAxn48gtHoA

SCPALADIN
October 2nd, 2019, 12:01 PM
That's HOT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAxn48gtHoA

Ah memories. Posting this video would inevitably be followed up by a Youtube video of The Miracle on the Mountain....or the Ingle "Slip"...those were the two longest drives home from Boone I've ever had.

PaladinFan
October 2nd, 2019, 01:16 PM

+12 turnover margin and 80% on FGs helps.

ElCid
October 2nd, 2019, 02:32 PM
1. Furman - still on top
2. Samford - turn around complete?
3. The Citadel - still strong even with gimpy QB, he actually passes better with a limp:D
4. Wofford - coming on strong, but still waiting on test
5. ETSU - solid but average
6. Chattanooga - this week will tell
7. Mercer - ditto
8. VMI - looking better overall
9. W Carolina - ugh

VMI @ The Citadel - With the Silver Shako on the line, anything can happenxsalutex but Dogs should win - 36-24
Gardner-Webb @ Western Carolina - WCU probably wants it more - 42-38
Wofford @ ETSU - Rat dogs win after grinding them down - 24-13
Furman @ Samford (easily the Game of the Week)- Will probably be pretty close; I am not sure Samford D is up to it - 38-31, with no OTs
Chattanooga @ Mercer - pretty evenly matched game; both teams looking to get back to .500; got to go with Bears at home - 34-27

gofurman
October 2nd, 2019, 03:36 PM
I am not arguing yards don't matter. I am just arguing that folks get really wrapped up in a statistic that really doesn't have a direct correlation between winning and losing.

In 2013, Furman won a SoCon title and a playoff game. Know where they finished in the SoCon in yards per game? Dead last.

In fact, Furman's yards per game total that season (318.5 ypg) was significantly behind even the team that finished second to last (Wofford had 355.3 ypg). Furman won a title, Wofford finished with a losing record.

Furman led the conference in virtually no statistic that year except for red zone defense and turnover margin (+12).

PaladinFan, we agree that , Points are most important. Then turnovers and yards. as you have said in other threads, 2013 was unsustainable (just can’t keep runnin’ last in yards and winning much as we see how that played out in 14 and 15- it led to the end of the coach... long term must have more yards than 2013

gofurman
October 2nd, 2019, 07:50 PM
Not to change people's mind but here is what FU has done since CH arrived in 2017:

Furman could lose this and that would be our first FCS loss so we would still be ok for the moment. If Furman loses it would be a loss to a Sam team that (circular logic but it is correct) has now beaten Wofford, prior top 25 Citadel, and top 15 Furman and that would probly leave us top 20 or whatever and we would just need to win most of our games on way out. Citadel will be tough but we have won both years w our new coach vs Citadel - he can stop option.. and that game is at Furman while this one, of course is at Samford. We would be favored in all the remaining games though Wofford on road is tough. Look at the great job our new coach Hendrix is doing. I think is worth repeating. And the difference of how we do v Samford xrolleyesx as opposed to Citadel ;)

CH at Furman is
3-0 v Mercer.
2-1 vs ETSU.
2-0 vs Western
2-0 vs VMI
2-0 vs Chatt
2-0 vs Cit

---
1-2 vs Wofford bc of playoff loss there. (that's the only other team where Hendrix has a losing record)
0-2 vs Samford

And that is with him starting with players who went 3-8 the year before he arrived !

so prior to his arrival we went 3 - 8 ... Then CH arrives and look at the difference:

2017 8-5 (from 8 losses to 8 wins with same guys who aren't even the right guys for his system!) - and made playoffs
2018 6-4 and SoCon champions
2019 ...

Scrappy94
October 3rd, 2019, 09:40 AM
1. Furman
2. Samford
3. The Citadel
4. Chattanooga
5. Wofford
6. Mercer
7. VMI
8. ETSU
9. Western Carolina

VMI @ The Citadel
Furman @ Samford
Wofford @ ETSU
Gardner-Webb @ Western Carolina
Chattanooga @ Mercer

sudog03
October 3rd, 2019, 10:38 AM
I honestly hope my wife loves me one day as much as Furman folks love their HC.

Sir William
October 3rd, 2019, 10:59 AM
I honestly hope my wife loves me one day as much as Furman folks love their HC.

One can dream. 😄

FUBeAR
October 3rd, 2019, 11:32 AM
I honestly hope my wife loves me one day as much as Furman folks love their HC.Some folks in his hometown of Maconga love your Head Coach as much as we Furman Fans love Coach Hendrix, maybe more.

PaladinFan
October 3rd, 2019, 11:42 AM
Some folks in his hometown of Maconga love your Head Coach as much as we Furman Fans love Coach Hendrix, maybe more.

That will be one of the more interesting storylines of the offseason, in my opinion.

Mocs123
October 3rd, 2019, 12:51 PM
I can understand how Furman fans feel. Furman is a proud program that had gone a decade (for the most part) without beind nationaly relevant. Hendrix has brought them back to being a NC contender.

Chattanooga fans felt the same way about Russ Huesman. We were 1-11 the year before he arrived. There was at least some talk about shutting down the football program. Russ immediatly made us competitive and we had a winning season. We were in the top 10 and went to the playoffs in each of Huesmans last 3 years. I know there are some Moc fans that are a little bitter about Russ leaving, but I know we all loved him when he was here, and I think are all appreciative of what he did for the program.

Furman football looked dead under Fowler (at least the offense did). If I were a Furman fan, I'd love Hendrix too. I just hope he has a really bad day on November 2nd.

- - - Updated - - -

That will be one of the more interesting storylines of the offseason, in my opinion.

Interesting...……..I did not know Hatcher was from Macon.

gofurman
October 3rd, 2019, 10:09 PM

PaladinFan, I didn't know that either -thanks!

FUBeAR
October 3rd, 2019, 11:56 PM
POWER RANKINGS

1. Furman - y’all don’t need to read more words about Furman

2. Samford - I keep reading about their great Defense...45? 59? 55? Hope y’all enjoyed your stay in Room #2. It’s checkout time.

3a. Chattanooga - like what they are doing on Offense - simple, yet effective. Finally, someone figured out how to get the most from Tiano’s talents. Freshman RB is impressive, but can he carry the load by himself? Several nice Players on D, but WCU gashed ‘em, JMU crushed ‘em, UTK smothered ‘em, and JSU sizzled ‘em. Waffle House ‘bout to put the “Mocs D Special” on the menu if they keep playing this bad. We’ll go with #3a (alpha-ordered tie) for now, but...get filleted this Sat. in Maconga, where the Mocs haven’t won since the Teapot Dome Scandal was all they talked about on CNN, & anywhere from 6-8 will be your corner booth.

3b. ETSU - much better overall level of effort on D vs. the Paladins. Luckaneers O & D front lines are as good as any in the SoCon, but the O, overall, reminds me of the bread I leave out for a couple of nights before I use it to make my Grandmother’s famous dressing for Thanksgiving. If I’m Coaching the MountainPirates, I just let the kid, that finished HS in ‘06, played 3 years at Army & a couple of years at other schools, and has 3 years of eligibility remaining, play QB & run Wofford’s O. They don’t want it anymore, anyway...except they do like to not suck...so they’re back to running it 95% of the time anyway. Beat Wofford this week and you won’t drop...too far.

3c. THE Citadel - meh, meh, meh - that’s all I can think when I watch the bellhops slog around. I’ll leave you here for now, but after VMI takes home the stewpot with a dildo glued on the bottom this Sat, you will be a whole lot closer to WCU than you will be to the Paladins!

6. Mercer - Not as good as we all thought they might be & not nearly as bad as most of y’all think they are. Offense started figuring out life AD (after Durden) in the 2nd half last week & made, what I hope will be some permanent shuffles of OL peeps. D has to fix whatever is wrong with them - I see some effort issues, poor tackling technique, and youth/confusion in the DB group. When I look at the list above (and below, of course), I don’t see a Team that Mercer can’t beat...except 1. Of course, I don’t see a Team they couldn’t get beaten by either...except 1.

7a. VMI - Wow, VMI shredded Woffy’s D...on the ground. They should have thrown more though. Can anyone believe VMI should have thrown MORE? Anyway, VMI’s RB is a Player & their OL has improved, but not enough. They still belong here. Why are they tied with Woffy? Just watched the game - some interesting calls...and I’m not putting them below Woffy in protest of some dirty play I saw by the porchyappers and because 1 of their players needs to serve some time in the penalty box - which did not happen. I can’t affect that...but I can keep them @ #7b in my Power Rankings.

7b. Wofford - Congratulations on emerging from your 3 weeks in the dark, damp SoCon basement! Good to see that Wofford is now running an Offense that works for them...the same one they ran for years. I guess fixing what wasn’t broken wasn’t such a great idea & wasn’t that hard to ‘unfix.’ I still saw them paying some homage to Mercer’s 2013-2016 O & a wee doff of their cap to the FU I, but 95% Woffy-ized again. Defense is a big issue that their schedule has not exposed. I will be surprised if ETSU’s stale, dry O doesn’t choke-down the ankle-biters D this Sat & keep the ratdogs with only 1 foot out of that basement.

9. W. Carolina - y’all don’t need to read more words about WCU ... but if you want to, there are plenty of choice ones on their message boards.

PICKS

FURMAN vs SAMFORD - Paladins make bullpups see red...YSU red. FU rolls 45-22
VMI vs The CITADEL - VA militiamen run & pass over the SC hotel workers 35-21
WOFFORD vs ETSU - Bucs pound small dogs 31-13
GARDNER-WEBB vs W. CAROLINA - Runnin’ Bulldogs tree declawed Cats 28-23
CHATTANOOGA vs MERCER - Unlike last year, points-a-plenty in this one, Bears outshoot Snakes 45-38

Mocs123
October 4th, 2019, 07:53 AM
FUBeAR - what is Mercer's injury situation for the game?

The Mocs have quite a few starters out:
RB - Tyrel Price (ACL) out for the season
RB - Elijah Ibitokun-Hanks (Hamstring) out at least this week
RT - Harrinson Moon (ACL) out for the season
WR - Lameric Tucker (Lower Body Injury) out at least this week (my guess it's a knee and he's out for the year, but they haven't announced anything)
LB - Kam Jones, who started vs. EIU and has been injured since, may be back this week.

Tiano isn't playing as well as he did last year (IMO), but he did what he needed to do against WCU. 3 of his INT's were not his fault. We have to get another wideout to step up and take some the pressure of Nunnelly, but so far we haven't found that guy just yet. Ailym Ford has been very good. He runs hard and gets YAC. He reminds a lot of us of Derrick Craine and Keon Williams, both excellent former Moc running backs, but I share your concern, as we can't expect him to carry the rock 30 times a game very often. The biggest change on offense has been our offensive line, which is much improved over the last few years.

FUBeAR
October 4th, 2019, 08:20 AM
FUBeAR - what is Mercer's injury situation for the game?

The Mocs have quite a few starters out:
RB - Tyrel Price (ACL) out for the season
RB - Elijah Ibitokun-Hanks (Hamstring) out at least this week
RT - Harrinson Moon (ACL) out for the season
WR - Lameric Tucker (Lower Body Injury) out at least this week (my guess it's a knee and he's out for the year, but they haven't announced anything)
LB - Kam Jones, who started vs. EIU and has been injured since, may be back this week.

Tiano isn't playing as well as he did last year (IMO), but he did what he needed to do against WCU. 3 of his INT's were not his fault. We have to get another wideout to step up and take some the pressure of Nunnelly, but so far we haven't found that guy just yet. Ailym Ford has been very good. He runs hard and gets YAC. He reminds a lot of us of Derrick Craine and Keon Williams, both excellent former Moc running backs, but I share your concern, as we can't expect him to carry the rock 30 times a game very often. The biggest change on offense has been our offensive line, which is much improved over the last few years.
* Best Player on Offense (Durden) - OUT
* Best Special Teams Player (Durden) - OUT
* Best Player on Defense (LB/DB Hybrid, Fleming) - has not played in 3 weeks ... 3 bad D performances ... coincidental?... probably not ...Status this week? - UNKNOWN
* Best OLineman (Sanders) ... injured late in FU game ... Did not play vs. Campbell ... MU Offense struggled early vs. Campbell until some OL personnel shuffling at half ... coincidental? ... probably not ... Status this week? - UNKNOWN
* Best (pure) DB (CB BJ Bohler) ... has not played in 3 weeks ... 3 bad D performances ... coincidental? ... probably not ... Status this week? - UNKNOWN
* Best RB (Devezin) ... Playing on bad ankle for 3 weeks. Left Campbell game after a good run & did not return ... Status this week? - UNKNOWN

How dat sound?

Mocs123
October 4th, 2019, 08:44 AM
It sounds like we might see two teams on the field battling it out on crutches to me.

Mercer seems to have had injury problems the past couple of years, and I know Furman did for several years as well (was that under Fowler or Lamb).

gofurman
October 4th, 2019, 08:58 AM
I would love to get that info:

Samford fans who is out (other than maybe Oladokun) this game?

Furman has lost a starting LB for the year (Vann). We may be missing a CB (Kearse) who is good but we have several there.

PaladinFan
October 4th, 2019, 09:01 AM
It sounds like we might see two teams on the field battling it out on crutches to me.

Mercer seems to have had injury problems the past couple of years, and I know Furman did for several years as well (was that under Fowler or Lamb).

Most of Furman's injury issues were during the Fowler administration.

SU DOG
October 4th, 2019, 10:41 AM
I would love to get that info:

Samford fans who is out (other than maybe Oladokun) this game?

Furman has lost a starting LB for the year (Vann). We may be missing a CB (Kearse) who is good but we have several there.

Oladokun may play, but there is no way that he will be 100%. This is a HUGE blow for our chances. When you play The Citadel, with their blocking schemes, you are going to get probably more than usual bumps and bruises. I think, however, that we are pretty healthy overall.

I may be wrong, and FUBeAR's low esteem for our defense may be more accurate, but I truly think our front 7 is NOW on par with anybody's in the SoCon. Having said that, however, it is our secondary that I fear the Paladins will expose. That group needs to step it up if we are to have a chance against a very good, and maybe even great Furman Team. How you can prepare for that juggernaut multi-faceted offense, I have no clue. I just hope that Grainger might have a bit of an off-day.

PaladinFan
October 4th, 2019, 11:31 AM
Oladokun may play, but there is no way that he will be 100%. This is a HUGE blow for our chances. When you play The Citadel, with their blocking schemes, you are going to get probably more than usual bumps and bruises. I think, however, that we are pretty healthy overall.

I may be wrong, and FUBeAR's low esteem for our defense may be more accurate, but I truly think our front 7 is NOW on par with anybody's in the SoCon. Having said that, however, it is our secondary that I fear the Paladins will expose. That group needs to step it up if we are to have a chance against a very good, and maybe even great Furman Team. How you can prepare for that juggernaut multi-faceted offense, I have no clue. I just hope that Grainger might have a bit of an off-day.

I said this a few weeks ago, but I think you need really strong safety play against Furman. The safety has to be willing to come up against the run, but has to have the discipline not to be beaten in the passing game.

The Paladin offense has a lot of window dressing. Eye discipline is key.

If I had to guess, the best defense is to stop Furman's running game first. If you are going to get beat, get beat with Grainger throwing the ball. He can sling it, but the passing game has, at times, gotten off schedule. If Furman's able to run the ball and then start with the play action game, it can be a long afternoon for a defense.

SU DOG
October 4th, 2019, 11:54 AM
I said this a few weeks ago, but I think you need really strong safety play against Furman. The safety has to be willing to come up against the run, but has to have the discipline not to be beaten in the passing game.

If I had to guess, the best defense is to stop Furman's running game first. If you are going to get beat, get beat with Grainger throwing the ball. He can sling it, but the passing game has, at times, gotten off schedule. If Furman's able to run the ball and then start with the play action game, it can be a long afternoon for a defense.

Agree completely. BTW, Paladin Fan please check for a PM on our Board.

gofurman
October 4th, 2019, 07:13 PM

I think your D is playin' far better than the one that played vs YSU to start the year - I wish that were not the case!

gofurman
October 4th, 2019, 07:14 PM

100% agree that you take your chances w our passing as ETSU did. they came at our run game hard and just dared us to throw n held us to 17 points. The ETSU safeties played well and tough

FUBeAR
October 4th, 2019, 08:54 PM
I think your D is playin' far better than the one that played vs YSU to start the year - I wish that were not the case!Since the YSU game, Sammy’s D has given up...

19 TD’s (13 rushing & 6 Passing) & 4 FG’s in 4 FCS games...

That’s just about 3 Rushing TD’s, 2 Passing TD’s, and 1 FG / game.

That’s EXACTLY the scoring ‘mix’ that Samford’s D surrendered to YSU.

Paraphrasing the wise words of Coach Dennis Green, “They are who YSU showed us they were!”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHiXADtvzQU

Don’t let ‘em off the hook!

gofurman
October 4th, 2019, 09:06 PM
Since the YSU game, Sammy’s D has given up...

19 TD’s (13 rushing & 6 Passing) & 4 FG’s in 4 FCS games...

That’s just about 3 Rushing TD’s, 2 Passing TD’s, and 1 FG / game.

That’s EXACTLY the scoring ‘mix’ that Samford’s D surrendered to YSU.

Paraphrasing the wise words of Coach Dennis Green, “They are who YSU showed us they were!”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHiXADtvzQU

Don’t let ‘em off the hook!

but that is with SIX overtimes. thats probly the most OT in nation I bet... that skews numbers

gofurman
October 4th, 2019, 09:09 PM
NO JINX !!!

SUPharmacist
October 4th, 2019, 11:57 PM
Citadel
Samford
ETSU
WCU
Chattanooga

rtzlunar
October 5th, 2019, 12:49 PM
Just arrived in Macon. FUBear if you’re tailgating tell me where you are so I can stop by and drink a beer with you.

apaladin
October 5th, 2019, 02:54 PM
Furman up 28-7 late first. FU has almost 300 yds in the first quarter.

PaladinFan
October 5th, 2019, 03:49 PM
Furman has 433 yards of offense and over 300 rushing yards in the first half. Yikes.

MUfan
October 5th, 2019, 05:14 PM
Mercer seems to be done.

Smitty
October 5th, 2019, 05:33 PM
Western's legendary defense once again shows up

FUBeAR
October 5th, 2019, 05:42 PM
Just arrived in Macon. FUBear if you’re tailgating tell me where you are so I can stop by and drink a beer with you.Sorry - just saw this. Looks like I might be in a bad mood after...so you prolly don’t want to have a beer with me...unless you want to talk Furman Football

FUBeAR
October 5th, 2019, 05:45 PM
but that is with SIX overtimes. thats probly the most OT in nation I bet... that skews numbersskews me? Hardly!

kdinva
October 5th, 2019, 05:56 PM
UTC 34; Mercer 17; 9 minutes remaining.

gofurman
October 5th, 2019, 06:26 PM
Citadel
Samford
ETSU
WCU
Chattanooga

SU, you have picked against Furman all 3 weeks.. and we have won 45-10; 17-10 and today 58-14... LOL, will you ever pick us?

SCPALADIN
October 5th, 2019, 06:52 PM
SU, you have picked against Furman all 3 weeks.. and we have won 45-10; 17-10 and today 58-14... LOL, will you ever pick us?

Prefer he wouldn't.......xcoffeex

rtzlunar
October 5th, 2019, 08:27 PM
Sorry - just saw this. Looks like I might be in a bad mood after...so you prolly don’t want to have a beer with me...unless you want to talk Furman Football

I’ll drink one with you in November in Chattanooga.

rtzlunar
October 5th, 2019, 08:45 PM
Mercer announces official attendance as 8,972. I was there. There were not 2900 people there- much less 8900.

PaladinFan
October 5th, 2019, 09:05 PM
Chris Hatcher pretty direct in his post game presser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRjhE6Xqd28

walliver
October 6th, 2019, 07:44 AM
No real surprises in outcomes. Margins of victory were somewhat surprising at times.

After 6 weeks:
2 teams with winning records
3 teams at .500
4 teams with losing records

At this rate, we may struggle to get an at large berth.

PaladinFan
October 6th, 2019, 08:26 AM
No real surprises in outcomes. Margins of victory were somewhat surprising at times.

After 6 weeks:
2 teams with winning records
3 teams at .500
4 teams with losing records

At this rate, we may struggle to get an at large berth.

Playoff wise, these are my thoughts:

Furman seems like they'll have a good shot at 9-10 wins. Looking at the schedule, they should be heavy favorites over most of the remainder of the schedule.

UTC and Wofford still have good shots at an at large bid with one more loss. The hard part for those teams is that beyond Furman, they really don't have a great opportunity to move up by playing ranked teams.

Samford is a little more tenuous. Without the auto bid, they are looking at a 7-5 at large resume, though the win over Wofford looks better each week.

The biggest problem is that a lot of the SoCon teams stumbled out of the gate, so there's really just not a lot of chances to lodge wins over ranked opponents.

Mocs123
October 6th, 2019, 08:54 AM
The SoCon as a whole sucked OOC this year. I'd say the only two quality wins we have are ETSU's against APSU (and that may be pushing it - we'll see how they end up) and The Citadel's win over GT. The problem is ETSU is pretty much already out of the playoff picture by playing two money games and a non D1 - I don't think they can get to 8 D1 wins. The Citadel still has a chance, but it took a hit yesterday.

smilo
October 6th, 2019, 09:14 AM
Samford is a little more tenuous. Without the auto bid, they are looking at a 7-5 at large resume, though the win over Wofford looks better each week.

Samford still has a good (but slightly less than probable) shot at an 8-4 at-large case. Furman probably ain't losing two so they'll be defaulting to at-large. They are still favored in each of the next five, and the two toughest games are actually at home (no disrespect to 2019 VMI). The only thing I am worried about is the blowout losses in their home state to good/bubble teams indicating that they can't compete with playoff teams. (Less worried about 8-4 TTU)

Comparatively, Wofford and especially Chatty are deep longshots.

SU DOG
October 6th, 2019, 10:14 AM
Samford, even mentioned in a sentence with the word Playoffs, illustrates an oxymoron. FUBeAR was right-on with his assessment of our defense, and I was totally wrong in thinking we had made terrific strides in that area. Now, I'm not taking anything away from the fact that we were playing a Furman team that may even be top 5 in the nation. They certainly seem good enough to represent the SoCon very well in the Playoffs. Lots of games left, but this Paladin team is loaded - CONGRATS Furman!!! As for Samford, we may be favored in most of our remaining games, but I certainly think we could also lose ANY of them. To lose to a great team is understandable, but to be non-competitive and lifeless in a home game that means so much is an embarrassment, and my disappointment is off the chart.

PaladinNation
October 6th, 2019, 10:28 AM
The ETSU game was a wake up call for the DINS. Classic you can't believe the hype. CCH said after the ETSU game that Furman was its own worst enemy. Maybe the most positive takeaway from the Samford game is that Furman didn't let down after being up 42-14 at the half. Furman's now had two 600 plus offensive outputs this season, what is the potential of this offense? All it takes is an injury at a critical position and a "juggernaut" starts having hiccups. I'm cautiously optimistic - the DINS IMO have three tough matchups left - Citadel, Chatty, and Wofford. We've yet to see the DINS line up against another option team it's going to be interesting to see how Furman defends the option. So far very impressed with the physicality of the purple corners.

apaladin
October 6th, 2019, 10:49 AM
I may have to eat my words but I do not see Citadel as that tough of a matchup. Samford held them to 2.8 ypc and VMI held them to 78 yds on 39 attempts yesterday. They threw 34 times yesterday which is not their forte. Like I said I hope I don't have to eat these words. FU now has 2 weeks to prepare for the Citadel. I do see the UTC and Wofford as tough games and both are on the road. Don't see WC losing again so I think the FU/WC Nov. 16 could game be for a SoCon championship or at least a share. One final word on the SU/FU game, in all my years I do not think I have seen a team score on it's first nine possessions and 7 TD's in a row to start a game.

walliver
October 6th, 2019, 11:09 AM
Playoff wise, these are my thoughts:

Furman seems like they'll have a good shot at 9-10 wins. Looking at the schedule, they should be heavy favorites over most of the remainder of the schedule.

UTC and Wofford still have good shots at an at large bid with one more loss. The hard part for those teams is that beyond Furman, they really don't have a great opportunity to move up by playing ranked teams.

The biggest problem is that a lot of the SoCon teams stumbled out of the gate, so there's really just not a lot of chances to lodge wins over ranked opponents.

I think if we beat Clemson that will help.

Although it is more likely that Bigfoot, Elvis and Jennifer Lawrence will deliver a winning lottery ticket to my house.

PaladinFan
October 6th, 2019, 12:28 PM
Samford still has a good (but slightly less than probable) shot at an 8-4 at-large case. Furman probably ain't losing two so they'll be defaulting to at-large. They are still favored in each of the next five, and the two toughest games are actually at home (no disrespect to 2019 VMI). The only thing I am worried about is the blowout losses in their home state to good/bubble teams indicating that they can't compete with playoff teams. (Less worried about 8-4 TTU)

Comparatively, Wofford and especially Chatty are deep longshots.

I agree. I don't see Furman losing twice.

Even with 1 SoCon loss, though, Furman is not guaranteed the autobid.

UTC and Wofford could still win the autobid by beating Furman and likely winning the rest of their SoCon games (finish 7-1). They'd hold the tie breaker over Furman. I don't think 6-2 is going to win a SoCon title this year (it has in many years).

Furman would likely be an at large bid at 9-3 (7-1). SoCon isn't great this year, but I don't see how they could leave a 9 win SoCon co-champ home.

PaladinFan
October 6th, 2019, 12:39 PM
Samford, even mentioned in a sentence with the word Playoffs, illustrates an oxymoron. FUBeAR was right-on with his assessment of our defense, and I was totally wrong in thinking we had made terrific strides in that area. Now, I'm not taking anything away from the fact that we were playing a Furman team that may even be top 5 in the nation. They certainly seem good enough to represent the SoCon very well in the Playoffs. Lots of games left, but this Paladin team is loaded - CONGRATS Furman!!! As for Samford, we may be favored in most of our remaining games, but I certainly think we could also lose ANY of them. To lose to a great team is understandable, but to be non-competitive and lifeless in a home game that means so much is an embarrassment, and my disappointment is off the chart.

It was a strange game on a number of fronts.

I've seen Furman on both sides of blowouts. It was odd, though, to see that sort of effort against a team that really wasn't a big underdog (I think the spread was 4 pts). I believe that was the most lopsided SoCon loss in Samford's 12 years in the league.

Stranger still is that the margin really wasn't caused by a bunch of turnovers and non-offensive touchdowns. Just a pretty complete effort on both sides of the ball.

ElCid
October 6th, 2019, 12:52 PM
I may have to eat my words but I do not see Citadel as that tough of a matchup. Samford held them to 2.8 ypc and VMI held them to 78 yds on 39 attempts yesterday. They threw 34 times yesterday which is not their forte. Like I said I hope I don't have to eat these words. FU now has 2 weeks to prepare for the Citadel. I do see the UTC and Wofford as tough games and both are on the road. Don't see WC losing again so I think the FU/WC Nov. 16 could game be for a SoCon championship or at least a share. One final word on the SU/FU game, in all my years I do not think I have seen a team score on it's first nine possessions and 7 TD's in a row to start a game.

I hope you have to eat your words.xlolx I am not sure what the heck is going on with my Dogs. Our QB has been gimpy since the GaTech game. Our staring BBack has been out. Our punter has been out, but his back up is doing just as good. But we should have enough depth to handle that. Our secondary stinks to high heavens. Overall we just aren't gelling with any consistency. That said, we are still capable of winning any game remaining. But I don't think we will. Winning season seems to be the next goal. Not sure what is going on in regard to the whole passing thing. Are we doing it because the QB has a hurt wheel and the BBack was out or is the coach just trying to open up the game more. Almost seems we are in an experimental season now. The coach has also talked up his adherence to analytics in making game decisions. Don't know if I agree, but I am not the coach. Personally, I trust his judgement on calls more than the numbers dictating the calls, but if I trust him, then I will trust his using the data appropriately.

sudog03
October 6th, 2019, 01:07 PM
Kudos to Furman yesterday. A thorough rearend kicking. You could tell they were motivated to end the 3 game losing streak to SU and boy did they.

FU_Paladin08
October 6th, 2019, 03:42 PM

I certainly like a win against the Citadel more with a week of rest/preparation.

Milktruck74
October 6th, 2019, 03:53 PM
I think if we beat Clemson that will help.

Although it is more likely that Bigfoot, Elvis and Jennifer Lawrence will deliver a winning lottery ticket to my house.

They will probably ride up on a unicorn....but sadly it will only be a $10 scratch off...

Milktruck74
October 6th, 2019, 03:56 PM
Furman is good, obviously the class of the SoCon so far....I thing they slip up to somebody in the next 5 games. At 7-1 they still own the autobid. The real question is who goes 6-2? And a follow up...is 6-2 in the SoCon good enough for an at-large bid this year?

Mocs123
October 6th, 2019, 04:30 PM
It will probably depend on who the 6-2 team is. It probably shouldn't play a part in the selection committee's decision but I think Wofford or Chattanooga would have better shot than VMI or Mercer.

Milktruck74
October 6th, 2019, 04:45 PM
True. I will say, thereis plenty of football left to play, and the Mocs fans need to realize we still aren't that good. We are 2-0, but we beat a Western Carolina team that probably wont win another this season and a very bad Mercer team. We just beat #8 and #9. So, we have currently proven we are #7. That is all. I think we can win a few more, but we have 6 left, and going 4-2 in those is a stretch....I'd love to be wrong, but ......

Mocs123
October 6th, 2019, 04:48 PM
I agree. We haven't proven anything yet. Just take it one game at a time and go take care of business every day and well see how the cards line up in the end.

gofurman
October 6th, 2019, 08:15 PM
Furman is good, obviously the class of the SoCon so far....I thing they slip up to somebody in the next 5 games. At 7-1 they still own the autobid. The real question is who goes 6-2? And a follow up...is 6-2 in the SoCon good enough for an at-large bid this year?

actually at 7-1 we don't own the autobid if the loss is to Chatt or Woff depending on other outcomes - should Woff run table they would have autobid at 7-1 and we would be co-champs at 7-1. If you guys ran dropped one game but beat us you would own autobid as head to head on us and we would be co-champs

walliver
October 6th, 2019, 08:49 PM
actually at 7-1 we don't own the autobid if the loss is to Chatt or Woff depending on other outcomes - should Woff run table they would have autobid at 7-1 and we would be co-champs at 7-1. If you guys ran dropped one game but beat us you would own autobid as head to head on us and we would be co-champs
If Wofford and Samford win out, it could be determined by points allowed (which would obviously knock out Samford).

PaladinFan
October 6th, 2019, 08:58 PM

Not exactly. There are a number of other scenarios.

Samford's already beaten Wofford and could run the table and finish 7-1 as well.

gofurman
October 6th, 2019, 09:11 PM
Not exactly. There are a number of other scenarios.

Samford's already beaten Wofford and could run the table and finish 7-1 as well.

good point.. I missed on that one

PaladinFan
October 6th, 2019, 09:25 PM
good point.. I missed on that one

Realistically, we will have a muddled picture for a while now.

The SoCon has never had a champion with a 3 loss conference record, so about the only team you can eliminate from the discussion from this point is ETSU.

youwouldno
October 6th, 2019, 10:22 PM
Realistically, we will have a muddled picture for a while now.

The SoCon has never had a champion with a 3 loss conference record, so about the only team you can eliminate from the discussion from this point is ETSU.

Some possibilities are a lot more likely/relevant than others. Massey actually gives Samford a 20% chance of running the table in the SoCon . . . of course they would only get the autobid if Furman loses twice or more (20% chance per Massey). In that case, Samford would own all of the tie-breakers.

Massey gives Wofford an 11% chance to run the table, with the advantage that they wouldn't need Furman to lose any other games to get the autobid.

UTC has a 1% chance to run the table but another 7.5% to finish with 1 conference loss.

Overall, the auto-bid odds are difficult to fully flesh out, but it's roughly something like Furman with 75% chance, Wofford a 15% chance, and another 5% each for Samford and UTC. Massey does give VMI a 0.5% chance of winning out in conference.

PaladinFan
October 7th, 2019, 04:46 AM
Some possibilities are a lot more likely/relevant than others. Massey actually gives Samford a 20% chance of running the table in the SoCon . . . of course they would only get the autobid if Furman loses twice or more (20% chance per Massey). In that case, Samford would own all of the tie-breakers.

Massey gives Wofford an 11% chance to run the table, with the advantage that they wouldn't need Furman to lose any other games to get the autobid.

UTC has a 1% chance to run the table but another 7.5% to finish with 1 conference loss.

Overall, the auto-bid odds are difficult to fully flesh out, but it's roughly something like Furman with 75% chance, Wofford a 15% chance, and another 5% each for Samford and UTC. Massey does give VMI a 0.5% chance of winning out in conference.

As noted, there's a scenario where Samford gets the autobid and Furman doesn't lose twice - Samford wins out, Furman loses to UTC/Wofford/VMI, and there's a three way tie at 7-1.

Granted, after surrendering 58 points to Furman, the Bulldogs aren't in a great spot in terms of tie breakers, but it is still possible.

Milktruck74
October 7th, 2019, 06:40 AM

This assumes that are other teams that are 7-1. My assumptions were Furple is the only team strong enough to go 7-1. Woffy may be strong enough to get there, but I think they fall once more trying to force Conklins scheme. At this point I don't think the Mocs have shown anything that says they are strong enough to go 5-1 over the last six games. I'm happy being 2-0, but we beat the 8th and 9th team in the conference. Realistically, we finish out 3-3, 5-3 in conference.

PaladinFan
October 7th, 2019, 06:56 AM
This assumes that are other teams that are 7-1. My assumptions were Furple is the only team strong enough to go 7-1. Woffy may be strong enough to get there, but I think they fall once more trying to force Conklins scheme. At this point I don't think the Mocs have shown anything that says they are strong enough to go 5-1 over the last six games. I'm happy being 2-0, but we beat the 8th and 9th team in the conference. Realistically, we finish out 3-3, 5-3 in conference.

UTC can take some solace that the last two SoCon autobids were masters at just winning football games. Keep grinding.

Milktruck74
October 7th, 2019, 07:31 AM
UTC can take some solace that the last two SoCon autobids were masters at just winning football games. Keep grinding.

Very True. I do think we can play with and win any game left on our schedule...but I also think we could lose them all. Outside of Furple (and there are plenty of games left to change my mind) there is really no clear favorite in any SoCon game right now. I think we go 4-2 in the remaining 6.. that puts us at 7-5 and 6-2 in the SoCon....outside looking in, but much improved and poised for 2020.