PDA

View Full Version : Towson's Black and Gold Game

andy7171
May 7th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Well, much like EVERY Sunday at church, my afternoon spent at Unitas Stadium was mostly spent supressing my three young daughters rather than paying attention to the task at hand. The task Saturday was watching the Black and Gold game.
I'll link the official write up due to my lack of specifics I gleened for the scrimmage.

Basically, Sean Shaefer, JR QB, looked like a magician throwing the ball around the field when he played. He tossed 3 TD to 3 different players.(I'm SSSOOOOOO glad he'll be leading the team in '08 vs Navy) The RB situation looked highly contested. Not to take away anything from the other two upper class RBs, but the freshman Jaslee Rouson reminds me of Emmitt Smith, short, low to the ground and big lower body power. Nick Williams, one of the starting RBs from '06 did not play because he is a starting middie on the Lax team. Both RTs played well, not sure who will be the starter replacing Bushrod. Not much to say about the defense, as I watched the ball mostly. It's hard to tell how the defense is playing in scrimmages like this. Couple of big hits and 2 interceptions on the younger QBs, but not much else.
Sorry for the vague details fellas, I often wonder sometimes why we even take the girls outta the house into public sometimes. xoopsx

TowsonTigers Article (http://towsontigers.com/sports/football/release.asp?release_id=3752)

JMU2K_DukeDawg
May 7th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Towson definitely has one of the best QBs in the league now. Good luck on the season, I expect many wins from Towson this year, just not against JMU. :p

May 7th, 2007, 10:38 AM
pictures here:
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/stats/2007/road/20070505Towsonspringgame/index.htm

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/stats/2007/road/20070505Towsonspringgame/images/IMG_6378.jpg

andy7171
May 7th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Great pictures Ralph.

Sad sad showing, mostly alumni. I think the nice weather and combination of Towsonfest, local spring festival, going on uptown and the CAA Lacrosse Championship later that night really negated a good crowd from showing.

Who am I kidding? xnonono2x xnonono2x xmadx

GannonFan
May 7th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Great pictures Ralph.

Sad sad showing, mostly alumni. I think the nice weather and combination of Towsonfest, local spring festival, going on uptown and the CAA Lacrosse Championship later that night really negated a good crowd from showing.

Who am I kidding? xnonono2x xnonono2x xmadx

On that note, what does actually cause the weak support that Towson gets for football? Even before they dropped schollies in the 90's they were a decent program (beat UD in the early 90's) and the past few years they've started to come of age as most honest observers in the CAA knew they would. But they just don't get much of a following. Why is that and is there any chance of it realistically turning around???

andy7171
May 7th, 2007, 01:40 PM
On that note, what does actually cause the weak support that Towson gets for football? Even before they dropped schollies in the 90's they were a decent program (beat UD in the early 90's) and the past few years they've started to come of age as most honest observers in the CAA knew they would. But they just don't get much of a following. Why is that and is there any chance of it realistically turning around???
Towson is largely commuter school. So of the 16-17,000 students I would venture only 6-7,000 actually live on campus. Proximity to the Towson uptown are which is packed with bars, restaurants, shops and everything within 2 blocks from campus. Baltimore City being a short 10 minute drive south. Orioles and Ravens hype. And counting that about half the sports fans in the student body are rooting for Maryland over Towson because they really wanted to go there and couldn't get in. All that comes into play.
The new president is focusing on bring more on campus students. And I have noticed an increase of students coming to the games in the last 2-3 years. I would say they have the same fan support as Hofstra and Northeastern. They have packed the new stadium a handful of times. I think it is just going to take a really good year to bring the fans and students back. I think we are getting there.

Look at it like when MLB went on strike, only if the following wasn't as strong.
Sean Shaefer HAS to be our Cal Ripken! :D