PDA

View Full Version : Howard QB Newton looking to Redshirt the rest of the season and possibly transfer

WileECoyote06
September 27th, 2019, 03:06 PM
Howard football may be losing the face of its program (https://hbcugameday.com/2018/12/04/howard-caylin-newton-named-meac-offensive-player-of-the-year/) for good. According to sources, quarterback Caylin Newton (https://hubison.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5504) will be redshirting; thus sitting out the remainder of the season. With this, he’ll be weighing his options and maybe looking to transfer.
HBCU Gameday reached out to the sports information department at Howard University who was unaware of Newton’s intentions. A call was placed to head coach Ron Prince but he was not available.
Full Story:
https://hbcugameday.com/2019/09/27/newton-redshirt/ (https://hbcugameday.com/2019/09/27/newton-redshirt/)

ASU33
September 27th, 2019, 06:19 PM
I cant say that I'm shocked.

FUGameBreaker
September 27th, 2019, 06:32 PM
I cant say that I'm shocked.

My thoughts as well

bonarae
September 27th, 2019, 06:41 PM
Oh no. Howard will probably lose the rest of this season without him.

Harvard will definitely roll in the Bison's trip to Cambridge.

ysubigred
September 27th, 2019, 08:38 PM
Holly ****! I actually said he'd look great in a Penguins uniform. [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Redbird 4th & short
September 28th, 2019, 08:02 AM
I don't like the new 4 game rule, but this is a smart move for him if there is interest elsewhere. Would he follow his old head coach London to William & Mary ? London was the one who successfully recruited him.

ST_Lawson
October 3rd, 2019, 11:55 AM
And now this: https://footballscoop.com/news/howard-investigating-claims-verbal-abuse-ron-princes-football-program/
Also this: https://hbcugameday.com/2019/10/02/howard-university-football-ron-prince-accused-verbal-abuse-intimidation/

Some of the allegations just look like fairly standard "holding the players accountable", but there's still a lot there that's illegal, and in some cases, just plain odd.

Mocs123
October 3rd, 2019, 12:40 PM
I don't like the 4 game redshirt rule being used this way. If players want to transfer, they need to do it in the off-season. I feel that the Huston QB has started a trend of if the team has a few bad losses early, they will redshirt and take a mulligan on the year and come back next season. That's almost as bad as a certain NFL team doing everything in their power to be bad so they get the #1 draft pick.

That being said, maybe he'd like to come to Chattanooga and be closer to home :)

Baltimore Hen
October 3rd, 2019, 01:21 PM
I don't like the 4 game redshirt rule being used this way. If players want to transfer, they need to do it in the off-season. I feel that the Huston QB has started a trend of if the team has a few bad losses early, they will redshirt and take a mulligan on the year and come back next season. That's almost as bad as a certain NFL team doing everything in their power to be bad so they get the #1 draft pick.

That being said, maybe he'd like to come to Chattanooga and be closer to home :)

Agreed. While the letter of the rule is being followed, the spirit of the rule was not this. The spirit of the rule was meant to allow young players to get their feet wet at the college level without losing a whole year of eligibility.....or when they sit out an entire year and are forced into service at the end of the season after injuries and lose the year. It is now, along with the transfer portal, becoming a free agency pipeline.

Professor Chaos
October 3rd, 2019, 01:32 PM
Agreed. While the letter of the rule is being followed, the spirit of the rule was not this. The spirit of the rule was meant to allow young players to get their feet wet at the college level without losing a whole year of eligibility.....or when they sit out an entire year and are forced into service at the end of the season after injuries and lose the year. It is now, along with the transfer portal, becoming a free agency pipeline.
There's probably more to the story than we know but it certainly seems to show a lack of leadership for the starting QB to essentially quit on his team after 4 games.

ysubigred
October 3rd, 2019, 02:26 PM
There's probably more to the story than we know but it certainly seems to show a lack of leadership for the starting QB to essentially quit on his team after 4 games.

Not sure what happened here with him. Seemed a great QB he gave YSU fits till we sorted it out. I was surprised he was at a 1FCS school unless he was not as good as Scam to get shopped aroud to the big $$ programs by his pops.

Redbird 4th & short
October 3rd, 2019, 02:49 PM
I think it is stupid rule either way ... it's not enough players can redshirt, but now you can a play all your true FR one-third of the season, throughout the entire season, and not lose any eligibility on any of them. Everybody loved this idea, no matter how stupid it was .. that is until a player used it against the team ... I say, good for him and too bad for the team .... you should have thought of that when you supported the stupid rule to begin with.

I say they should go back to the way it was before. Redshirt means you do NOT play as true FR .. it was designed simply to allow true FR a year to acclimate physically and mentally from HS to college. Camp starts 2 months ater they graduiate HS, games start 3 months after ... it's a lot. So that is what the Redshirt was originally for ... it should have been left alone to begin with.

Paladin1aa
October 3rd, 2019, 03:01 PM
Not sure we are getting the complete story here. Went back and looked at his recruiting profile and he only had 4 offers at FCS or lower. Howard or Hampton would have been his best offers. No question he is an outstanding athlete. The question becomes is he a QB, or have higher upside at another position. I’m leaning that is the case for a FBS offer and he only wanted to be a QB. The complaints about the coach are troubling. Still the intent of the rule was to give more flexibility to the players. I just question whether he can transfer up as a QB.

Bisonoline
October 3rd, 2019, 10:36 PM
Wouldnt the coaching staff have to agree with this?

Anthony215
October 4th, 2019, 09:12 AM
If true regarding the allegations against the HC then he and the other Bison have every right to seek another school to attend/play for if the administration doesn't release him of his contract. I'm all for a hard nose, take no crap HC but there is a fine line between being stern and being a jerk and ignorant. Since when does one sexual preference have to do with ones ability to play football? And if players are scheduled for class at a time when practice is held obviously your administration isn't doing their job because there's at least one compliance officer and staffer who checks to make sure kids are taking classes to remain eligible and aligned with the team schedule for travel/practice. One thing I don't fault the coach with is mandatory class attendance, while harsh in saying he would revoke scholarships if they miss 1 single class, i think he could have said after 3 missed classes scholarships would be reduced or something to that nature but we all have a day where we just don't feel well and need extra rest. I think Caylin ends up at Hampton or maybe heads back home and gets KSU to give him a shot since he will have 2 years of eligibility remaining.

JSUSoutherner
October 4th, 2019, 09:20 AM

You mean like the Dolphins?

#TankForTua

Derby City Duke
October 4th, 2019, 11:45 AM

Wonder if the NCAA would amend the rule to restrict the 4-game participation to a student-athlete's <cough, cough> freshman year? Coaches can still use game reps to help freshman acclimate, but it would probably eliminate 98% of this misuse of the rule.