PDA

View Full Version : We now play high school ball!

bobbythekidd
May 6th, 2007, 05:25 PM
From an independent newspaper in my area. Not much circulation, so don't get your panties in too much of twist. I should add this guy writes a blog and not for any major publication.

The Bad
After such a strong day 1, I again eagerly awaited our 4th round pick in day 2. When they announced that we drafted a Wide Receiver, I was surprised, but with an open mind began my research via the scouting reports online. I read, I read some more, then I watched some video that I found of our new wide receiver, Laurent Robinson. The video looked like Mr. Robinson taped it on his handycam from the sideline.
The teams in the video looked like High School football teams. Then I remembered seeing where he was from a division AA schoolxeekx . I guess that's college talk for small time. I had to ask myself, did we really need a WR? Was this guy really better than our current corps of unimpressive receivers? I'm not against upgrading our wide receivers, but upgrading indicates getting someone better.
He did throw in this disclaimer...

I don't watch much NCAA football, so I don't know much about most… okay, any of the college players in the draft.
And the editors note...

Editor’s Note: Actually, Laurent Robinson was the Falcon’s 3rd round draft choice, not the 4th round pick.:D And hopefully he was drafted because he’s able to catch a football!xthumbsupx

Email for the author:
[email protected]

http://www.thespiritnewspaper.com/2007/May/3rd/Sports.html

Second article/column down

NDSUFREAK
May 6th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Sent him an email just now.

PantherRob82
May 6th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Anyone get any responses from him?

bobbythekidd
May 6th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Anyone get any responses from him?
Crap Rob, I just posted it 10 minutes ago. Give the man some time.

bobbythekidd
May 6th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Always well known in Normal, Illinois, Robinson burst onto the national scene in 2006, and is considered by many to be the premier offensive prospect in the NCAA Division 1-AA ranks.

During his time at Rockledge High School, Robinson led the team to consecutive state championships (team posted consecutive 14-1 records, 2001-02). He earned all-state honorable mention, All-Space Coast first-team and all-conference accolades as a senior, coming up with 55 receptions for 903 yards and 11 touchdowns as a senior.

Robinson started every game at split end for the Redbirds in 2004. He led the team with 44 receptions for 564 yards (12.0 avg.) and seven touchdowns, adding three solo tackles.

He was a consensus All-American and All-Gateway Conference first-team selection, as he led the NCAA Division 1-AA ranks in yards receiving per game (133.18) and was second nationally with an average of 7.82 receptions per game. Robinson shattered school single-season records with 86 catches for 1,465 yards (17.0 avg.), and his 12 touchdown catches rank second on ISU's annual record chart.

Robinson was a major problem for Kansas State in the 2006 season opener, catching nine passes for 77 yards and two touchdowns before an illegal block by a KSU player on a fourth quarter kickoff return would sideline the All-American receiver with an ankle sprain.

However, in the next game against Southern Illinois, he re-injured his ankle and was forced to sit out the next two games. He returned to start the final five contests, finishing second on the team with 40 receptions for 718 yards (18.0 avg.) and seven touchdowns.

All from:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/robinson_laurent

bisonguy
May 6th, 2007, 06:29 PM
All from:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/robinson_laurent

That link looks like a nomination for a DIVVY award! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Seawolf97
May 6th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Sent him an e mail -he must hang out with our friend from LI Newsday.

Cobblestone
May 6th, 2007, 08:33 PM
he's just a douchebag, not worthy of an e-mail from Cobblestone. xnonox

paytonlives
May 6th, 2007, 09:49 PM
I wish FCS fans would stop getting thier panties in a wad.

The former I-AA will never get any respect from the big conferences no matter what the FCS is called.

ONLY the top 10 FCS schools should ever be talked about in the same sentence as the 1A schools.

And before you all start throwing punches at me, look at revenue, attendence, fan base, stadiums and competition.

I wish I could be nicer about this, but the reality is this division is small fish. Respect is earned and MOST FCS schools have not earned the respect that they feel that they deserve.

Go out and earn it and then start complaining.

Mr. C
May 6th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Illinois State WAS one of the top 10 teams in the FCS last year. They played in the NCAA Division I Football Championship quarterfinals last year. Laurent Robinson EARNED respect by being one of the top receivers in the country in the past two years. Have you ever seen this guy play? If you had, you would know that the Atlanta Falcons picked a good receiver with the third-round draft choice.

Just because Robinson didn't play at Notre Dame doesn't mean that we should excuse such poor work as this fellow schlocked out there.

paytonlives
May 6th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Illinois State WAS one of the top 10 teams in the FCS last year. They played in the NCAA Division I Football Championship quarterfinals last year. Laurent Robinson EARNED respect by being one of the top receivers in the country in the past two years. Have you ever seen this guy play? If you had, you would know that the Atlanta Falcons picked a good receiver with the third-round draft choice.

Just because Robinson didn't play at Notre Dame doesn't mean that we should excuse such poor work as this fellow schlocked out there.

And the BEST reciever did not get picked AT ALL. He did sign with the Bears later as a free agent.

YOU MISSED THE BOAT. He NEVER faced anything close to what he will IN PRACTICE in the NFL. I hope he makes it but the odd are much against him.

My point is he has his chance- now go out and earn your respect. IF not then get off the pot.

CopperCat
May 6th, 2007, 11:29 PM
I wish FCS fans would stop getting thier panties in a wad.

The former I-AA will never get any respect from the big conferences no matter what the FCS is called.
ONLY the top 10 FCS schools should ever be talked about in the same sentence as the 1A schools.
And before you all start throwing punches at me, look at revenue, attendence, fan base, stadiums and competition.
I wish I could be nicer about this, but the reality is this division is small fish. Respect is earned and MOST FCS schools have not earned the respect that they feel that they deserve.

Go out and earn it and then start complaining.
xnonox xnonox No faith at all.

lucchesicourt
May 7th, 2007, 04:48 AM
Payton lives, do you realizes there were a whole bunch of D1A QB's who could not have started for UCD over the past 30 years? Yes, that is a school that was mostly a D2 non schollie team for most of those 30 years. Maybe you have heard of a few of them KEN O"BRIEN (NYJ), MARK GRIEB (SABERCATS- AFL MVP), KHARI JONES (CFL OUTSTANDING PLAYER), and there are many others who have worn pro Jerseys. So, before you think that small schools don't have FBS (1A) talent, and NFL talent, look around and see what the small schools have produce. How about last year"s ROOKIE of the YEAR (A 7th round pick I believe)?