PDA

View Full Version : border battle? what border? UNH vs UMAINE

UNHWildcat18
September 23rd, 2019, 11:47 AM
UNH and UMAINE

bitter rivals in almost all sports, very similar schools in the great northeast

Best D1 football rivalry game in New England (que angry yale and harvard fans)

"Battle for the Brice Cowell musket" UNH and UMaine have been playing since 1903
The musket started as a trophy in the 1940s
Was brought back as an official trophy like make schools have in 1999 by alumni groups of both schools

yet both of their schedules show the game as "border battle" sponsored by buffalo wild wings

not sure if this is some "PC" move by the schools or some "PC" move by the sponsor
but I plan on emailing UNH about this. UMAINE fans that see this I hope you do the same. I don't care that the trophy is probably still there but the fact they removed it from the name of the game is absolutely ridiculous.

https://goblackbears.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=1210
https://unhwildcats.com/schedule.aspx?path=football

Also tried to make this not political, sorry admins if you deem it so

maine612
September 23rd, 2019, 09:32 PM
This is ridiculous... agreed.

smilo
September 23rd, 2019, 09:50 PM
Insanity! How long until "Border Battle" is deemed insensitive by those triggered by having a border defining our country. I can't believe that's not worse than musket!

Mattymc727
September 24th, 2019, 06:33 AM
Its a corporate sponsor. The schools make some extra money. If the musket is still awarded, who cares?

CenMEBlackBearFan
September 25th, 2019, 08:41 AM
Had my picture taken with Musket and the CAA trophy, would hate to think we just keep the musket in Oronoxsmiley_wix
In all seriousness don't know we can't call it the Battle Border for the right to obtain the The Brice Cowell Musket or something similar.

mainejeff
September 25th, 2019, 09:21 AM
Its a corporate sponsor. The schools make some extra money. If the musket is still awarded, who cares?

Exactly. is anything more PC than someone being up in arms about something so meaningless?xrolleyesx

dunbar
September 25th, 2019, 11:37 AM
It's a marketing tactic used across all sports. The musket isn't going away.

NHwildEcat
September 25th, 2019, 12:23 PM
I don't see the fuss...

ccd494
September 25th, 2019, 12:49 PM
You can spend dollars from Buffalo Wild Wings. You can't spend a 19th century musket. Just be happy they didn't engrave a BWW logo on the musket itself.

JayJ79
September 25th, 2019, 12:59 PM
"What border?"
wouldn't that be the border between the state of Maine and the state of New Hampshire?
I'm confused what you are upset about