In-League records.
OOC records.
Player(s) of the Year.
Rookie of the Year.
Biggest turnaround.
Biggest bust.
Biggest surprises.
Best single game.
The game you wouldn't watch, even with free tickets and a knock out date.

ANYTHING!! The waiting is killing me.xwhistlex xcoffeex

Honest opinions only.xthumbsupx

Homers will get kicked between the legs.xnonox

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 5th, 2007, 11:53 PM
1. Lehigh 8-3 (5-1)
2 Lafayette 7-4 (4-2)
3 Holy Cross 6-5 (3-3)
4 Colgate 6-5 (3-3)
5 Bucknell 5-6 ( 2-4)
6 Fordham 4-7 (1-5)
7 Georgetown 3-8 (1-5)

Players of the Year
Offense- Sedale Threatt
Defense- ??
Coach- Andy Coen
Rookie- someone from Fordham or Georgetown

Biggest Turnaround- Lehigh's Defense
Biggest Bust- Jordan Scott
Biggest Suprise- Colgate being stuck in neutral
Best Single Game- Lehigh-Lafayette OOC Lehigh-Villanova Colgate-Umass, Honorable Mention- Lafayette-Penn, Lehigh-Harvard
Worst Game- Georgetown @ Marist

Lehigh Football Nation
May 6th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Whaddya think, guys? Anything that comes to mind:

Order of finish.
Overall records.
In-League records.
OOC records.
Player(s) of the Year.
Rookie of the Year.
Biggest turnaround.
Biggest bust.
Biggest surprises.
Best single game.
The game you wouldn't watch, even with free tickets and a knock out date.

ANYTHING!! The waiting is killing me.xwhistlex xcoffeex

Honest opinions only.xthumbsupx

Homers will get kicked between the legs.xnonox

I think carney's trying to goad me into another blog posting... xsmiley_wix

Since G-Town has (finally) submitted their incoming class, pretty soon I'm going to work on my annual "Spring Review" piece. But I'd like to finish my piece on the state of the Patriot League, one I hope that starts a talk on that... with some sort of luck... I'll get that out next week.

carney2
May 6th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Wow, GLTUo swallowed the whole enchilada in one bite. Nicely done.

Here's one - worst nightmares. (Note: NOT predictions; nightmares.)

Bucknell: Liliputians can run, but they can't hide.

Colgate: 2006 was not just a bump in the road.

Fordham: Last year's freshmen continue to play like freshmen.

Georgetown: No signs of progress. None.

Holy Cross: Randolph really is all there is.

Lafayette: November and still no quarterback.

Lehigh: Defense continues to leak, and leak, and...

Patriot League: Another embarrassing playoff one and done.

DFW HOYA
May 6th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Georgetown: No signs of progress. None.

I guess it's all about how you define progress.

At least his "nightmare" scenario is not a call to the editorial staffs of the Express-News and Morning Call to revoke Georgetown's PL membership. xlolx

TheValleyRaider
May 6th, 2007, 11:42 AM
My first impression is that Lehigh will take the league. Colgate will be challenging at the top again, but more gearing up for a 2008 run. Holy Cross will be back again to really make things interesting this year at the top, and maybe even really challenge for the title.

Just some early impressions/guesses xtwocentsx

NYHOYA
May 6th, 2007, 04:31 PM
I think Colgate is gonna do better than most people think, maybe even give Lehigh/ Lafayette a run for their money. For Offensive POY Il have to agree with GLTO and go with Threatt, Defensive POY Il put my money on Colgate LB Mike Gallihugh (spelling?), kid only weighs like 200lbs but had an absolutely insane number of tackles last year.

carney2
May 6th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Like noses, everyone has opinions. Early prediction for order of finish:

1. LEHIGH Even with only 5 starters returning, most of the pieces seem to be in place. It is now up to carpenter Coen to put them together. Expect a disappointing OOC and postseason, however.

2. LAFAYETTE Too many questions to expect a consistently strong season. Will be a force in November however. Could still be in the hunt on November 17th.

3. COLGATE Last year's line problems appear to be continuing. Still, will be in contention early; fading by the end of October.

4. BUCKNELL Intriguing. Where will this "little guys with speed" thing take them? Middle of the pack is about it for now.

5. FORDHAM On the rise, but not good enough yet to abandon the second division. Wait til next year.

6. HOLY CROSS Defenses will stack against the pass. The pass is all there is. Could be the year that the bottom falls out.

7. GEORGETOWN Could be some pleasant surprises along the way, but not enough horses to pull this wagon for three tough months.

Go...gate
May 6th, 2007, 07:00 PM
I believe Colgate will be better than last season. Too early to get into specifics regarding any conference team, though.

DFW HOYA
May 6th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Some more thoughts (PL record in parentheses)

COLGATE RED RAIDERS (4-2, wins on tiebreaker): A little underrated in the PL media corridor (Allentown to Easton), I think Jordan Scott has an All-American year. Biddle will not be outcoached this season.

LEHIGH ENGINEERS (4-2): I give Colgate the edge because of changes to Lehigh's offensive line. If Threatt doesn't get time he will be considerably less effective. The running game has question marks.

LAFAYETTE LEOPARDS (3-3): Defense will be solid, but the offense will not get the breaks it did in PL games last year, where the Leopards caught fire late.

GEORGETOWN HOYAS (3-3): Let the arguments commence! First, let me say that if the 2006 Hoyas show up again this season, an 0-11 season is wholly within reach. Stony Brook returns with 45-50 scholarships, Penn and Yale are not Columbia and Brown, and Marist has defeated Georgetown in Poughkeepsie before. But it's not a guarantee that the same old names from 2006 make it to opening day, and the result could be a wheels-off, high velocity offense that can give the G-men more than the 12 points a game they've averaged over the last two seasons in losing 12 straight in league play. Two stats to watch: 1) Georgetown went 13 consecutive games without a single point in the first quarter; when leading or tied after one, they're above .500. 2) This was a team with 26 fumbles last year. Fix both of these stats, and they are going to make some PL coaches nervous explaining to their Tuesday aftternoon luncheons, "You lost to WHO?"

BUCKNELL BISON (2-4): Rushing was huge for the Bison last year, but the offensive line changes figure to impact that. The defense was spotty and that is an area for concern. Bison need to play better on the road but must go to Lafayette and Colgate, and catch a Fordham team at season's end who always pulls out an upset late.

HOLY CROSS CRUSADERS (2-4): I think the schedule really hurts this team: open with UMass and Harvard, one of four Ivies in the first six weeks, then three straight weeks on the road in PL play, then finish at home against Lafayette and Colgate. That's a bad mix for a young team that really needs a running game and lost some key defensive contributors.

FORDHAM RAMS (1-5): Fordham's three wins last season came against Albany, Marist, and the season finale with Georgetown. Like HC, they play an unbalanced schedule with one home game between Sept. 29 and Nov. 3. Assuming Dortsch is back, replacing the defensive losses will be key.

On a more encouraging note, Fordham holds the PL mark for most recruits from Dallas (6), edging out Georgetown with 5.

ngineer
May 6th, 2007, 08:45 PM
My current take is as follows:

Lehigh's defense will be better than most anticipate with a entire year for everyone to have gotten comfortable with the new DC and his philosophy.On offense the running game should be very solid with two strong slashers in McGowan and Pastore. I think the OL will be okay with three starters of five now returning. The key will be the receivers coming up in the clutch. Yansane is very good and nice target, but Threatt will need other reliable options to open things up. My call 8-3, 5-1, with the most likely league trip up coming on the tundra at Colgate.

Lafayette will struggle at times on offense as they try several QB's. They have some good runners back and I expect teams to try and rattle the inexperienced QB's. 'pards also seem to have a 'lull' in their schedule every year (unfortunately it hasn't happened at the end of late). So I expect a 6-5, 4-2 season

Colgate is very solid on offense with Mr. Scott pounding away, but I expect a lot of D's will make him priority number one, so it will be incumbent upon Biddle to find other means of moving the ball. 'gate has a good numbers returning, so there should be a uptick from last year. 7-4, 4-2

Holy Cross will be scary with an "Air Crusader" offense, but will they be able to score enough? Running game is very suspect right now, and numerous probems on defense last year. Still enough weapons to cause problems. 5-6, 3-3.

Bucknell will be the attack of the Smurphs. I don't see long term success over the course of a long season. I see them 'hanging close' in a lot of games, but unless they get some lucky bounces, I don't see much in the win column. 4-7, 2-4.

Fordham still has a lot of building to do. Lot's of new bodies with a lot of athleticsm on paper, but not enough proven quality to place them higher. Plus the continuing acclimation with the new HC. Improving, but the record may not reflect. 3-8, 1-5.

Georgetown is much in the same boat as the Rams. Defense was stout last year but played way too much due to inability of offense. I would expect more of the same until we see some 'producers' on the offensive side of the ball. Kelly will need more time with his system and getting the players to make it go. 2-9, 1-5.

Who will surprise and bite someone? I don't see any of the 'leaders' being so good that they could not be upset on 'ags'. Weather and turnovers are keys to any season and despite the paper reviews, these two factors can really change a game's complexion. Add in any key injuries where depth is a problem and a fine tuned engine will start missing.

MVOP--Sedale Threatt. The complete package in his senior year will not be denied. I have met this young man and he is focused and driven on having a good year. I believe his intensity will pull those inexperienced along to a higher level.

MVDP--Not sure, though I'd be inclined to think it could be either of Colgate's or Lafayette's linebackers, who in recent years have been stellar.

Coach of the Year--under the above scenario will be Andy Coen.

Special Teams Player--Jason Leo of Lehigh appears to be prepped for a fantastic year based upon his performance in the Spring Game. He's bulked up and leg strength obviously improved.

The potential surprise could be Holy Cross with Randolph throwing for over 3000 yards. He has the arm, but will he have the time and the receivers? I think they will be too one-dimensional, but I played on a team in high school that overall was mediocre, but we had stud at QB--Don Strock of Va. Tech, and Miami Dolphin fame. We went from perennial league dormat to tie for first place on Thanksgiving Day--wherein it rained like hell and we turned into pumpkins. That scenario could happen here.

ngineer
May 6th, 2007, 08:48 PM

COLGATE RED RAIDERS (4-2, wins on tiebreaker): A little underrated in the PL media corridor (Allentown to Easton), I think Jordan Scott has an All-American year. Biddle will not be outcoached this season.

LEHIGH ENGINEERS (4-2): I give Colgate the edge because of changes to Lehigh's offensive line. If Threatt doesn't get time he will be considerably less effective. The running game has question marks.

LAFAYETTE LEOPARDS (3-3): Defense will be solid, but the offense will not get the breaks it did in PL games last year, where the Leopards caught fire late.

GEORGETOWN HOYAS (3-3): Let the arguments commence! First, let me say that if the 2006 Hoyas show up again this season, an 0-11 season is wholly within reach. Stony Brook returns with 45-50 scholarships, Penn and Yale are not Columbia and Brown, and Marist has defeated Georgetown in Poughkeepsie before. But it's not a guarantee that the same old names from 2006 make it to opening day, and the result could be a wheels-off, high velocity offense that can give the G-men more than the 12 points a game they've averaged over the last two seasons in losing 12 straight in league play. Two stats to watch: 1) Georgetown went 13 consecutive games without a single point in the first quarter; when leading or tied after one, they're above .500. 2) This was a team with 26 fumbles last year. Fix both of these stats, and they are going to make some PL coaches nervous explaining to their Tuesday aftternoon luncheons, "You lost to WHO?"

BUCKNELL BISON (2-4): Rushing was huge for the Bison last year, but the offensive line changes figure to impact that. The defense was spotty and that is an area for concern. Bison need to play better on the road but must go to Lafayette and Colgate, and catch a Fordham team at season's end who always pulls out an upset late.

HOLY CROSS CRUSADERS (2-4): I think the schedule really hurts this team: open with UMass and Harvard, one of four Ivies in the first six weeks, then three straight weeks on the road in PL play, then finish at home against Lafayette and Colgate. That's a bad mix for a young team that really needs a running game and lost some key defensive contributors.

FORDHAM RAMS (1-5): Fordham's three wins last season came against Albany, Marist, and the season finale with Georgetown. Like HC, they play an unbalanced schedule with one home game between Sept. 29 and Nov. 3. Assuming Dortsch is back, replacing the defensive losses will be key.

On a more encouraging note, Fordham holds the PL mark for most recruits from Dallas (6), edging out Georgetown with 5.

After my own heart are ya? ;) :D

NYHOYA
May 6th, 2007, 09:29 PM

Gotta say overall I like these picks alot and if I were to lean to what my heart wants me to say Id put exactly the same, but my brains telling the final standings will look like this.

1. Lehigh
2. Colgate
3. Lafayette
4. Bucknell
5. Georgetown
6. Holy Cross
7. Fordham

carney2
May 6th, 2007, 10:49 PM
DFW, old buddy, you should be ashamed of yourself. It's OK for you to go out on that long limb. You're a big kid and are entitiled to make your own decisions. But dragging that new kid from New York out there with you... Shame. Shame.

On a more serious - even frightening - note, the Hoyas have given my Pards all they can handle over the years. This year's matchup occurs in week 2 - long before, I expect, Tavani gets his QB and other serious problems straightened away. This, in my opinion, is Kelly's best shot at that eye popping upset that LB has been predicting.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 7th, 2007, 09:04 AM
DFW, old buddy, you should be ashamed of yourself. It's OK for you to go out on that long limb. You're a big kid and are entitiled to make your own decisions. But dragging that new kid from New York out there with you... Shame. Shame.

On a more serious - even frightening - note, the Hoyas have given my Pards all they can handle over the years. This year's matchup occurs in week 2 - long before, I expect, Tavani gets his QB and other serious problems straightened away. This, in my opinion, is Kelly's best shot at that eye popping upset that LB has been predicting.

xnodx xnodx xnodx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

andy7171
May 7th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Colgate is returning the entire o-line and Scott returning. That alone, should prove a handful more wins.

LBPop
May 7th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Well, I finally have a moment to add my xtwocentsx . While this is not a revelation to anyone, after three years of avid PL and Hoya watching, I am more convinced than ever that it's all about the line of scrimmage. I love Jordan Scott, but when he has nowhere to run, he goes down (like every other mortal). Threatt is fun to watch, but if he has people in his face, he becomes ordinary (like every other mortal). And Gallihugh cannot possibly make all those tackles with a 290 lb. guard in his grill. I'll bet each of these fine players would echo this. Sometime the obvious isn't always so obvious.

Here's how it is in DC. The Hoyas have talent behind the line of scrimmage...both sides. Houghton gives them a "home run hitter" on offense, and I can tell you that the back 7 on defense can play just fine if their undersized teammates aren't overwhelmed up front. Two years ago they had bookend all league DEs. Now both are gone and will be missed terribly. If the Hoyas can just play close to even on the line, they will surprise a few people. If they do not, I echo DFW's assessment--it's hard to find a 'W' on this year's schedule.

PLLB
May 7th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Colgate is returning the entire o-line and Scott returning. That alone, should prove a handful more wins.

in the allentown/easton media corrider that fact has been overlooked..imo that is a mistake, but we will see.

Fordham
May 7th, 2007, 02:50 PM
1. Fordham - because a) it's May ... and b) screw it, that's why .

2. Colgate - because Biddle ain't never gonna let that happen again.

3. Holy Cross - last year was supposed to be their down year and the upside of having a QB like Randolph is just tremendous. Plus, this is yet another year of the same system under Gilmore and, thus far, he's exceeded expectations in every one of them as far as I'm concerned. Should be a heckuva'n offense.

4. Lehigh - I see great things in Coen's future but too many starters combined with a team still adjusting to last year's new systems give 'Gate and HC the edge imo.

5. Laffy - just too much change, although any Tavani coached team will be bear on Any Given Saturday (TM). I think the QB position may prove much harder to replace than many on here think.

6. Georgetown - I see improvement. Nothing dramatic, but certainly forward progress being made.

7. Bucknell - Hell, they're as likely to win this league as finish last but the truth is that I just don't get these guys. Given their losses and the little but quick group they brought in, I think Landis just doubled down on a position that may not be worth holding and this may be his last in Lewisburg.

Now, gun to my head, I'll admit that I'd put Fordham in the # 5 spot and everyone from Laffy on up moves up a spot. As much as the Hoya faithful are higher on this preseason than last, I think that we were able to beat them last year and I think we outrecruited them this year as well, so I see no reason why we shouldn't be picked to beat them this year as well (although I clearly admit it should be close), thus locking up the top of the PL bottom award at next year's AGS banquet.

I think under the biggest bust category is the overall impression I have that the conference is yet again headed for tough overall season. I just don't have much confidence in any teams in our conference this year and think we could be heading for some add'l OOC beatings. I do, however, think that the new coaches last year have gotten off to strong starts in rebuilding Lehigh, Fordham & G-town. I also think it's easier to come in and get things moving in the right direction fairly easily but much tougher to do as time goes on. Combine that with what Biddle & Tavani have already done w/LC & CU ... and with what I think Gilmore is starting to do at HC ... and I think the league is poised for a nice comeback in '08 & '09, when these lean years will hopefully be considered part of (somewhat) natural cycle instead of part of an overall trend.

OMVP - Randolph (Mantooth)

DMVP - Gallipoli (Colgate)

Fordham
May 7th, 2007, 03:07 PM
I forgot to add one more. PL Rookie of the Year ... that's easy ;)... either Jon Arnold (WR) or Nick Mageira (LB), both hailing from your Fordham Rams.

bison137
May 7th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Bucknell - Hell, they're as likely to win this league as finish last but the truth is that I just don't get these guys. Given their losses and the little but quick group they brought in, I think Landis just doubled down on a position that may not be worth holding and this may be his last in Lewisburg.

1. Landis recently signed a new multi-year contract. I'd say the chance of this being his last in Lewisburg in about 1%. Given that he has less money/financial aid than most PL competitors, he's done a reasonable job.

2. I'm not sure what "given their losses" means, but the Bison return 16 of their 22 starters with only the offensive line having suffered much in the way of losses. While I would have loved to have signed a couple huge offensive linemen who could start immediately, I don't think that was ever a realistic possibility. The returnees who backed up the three graduated OL starters need to step up for that position to hold its own. On the positive side, the defense should be significantly improved, and there should be a real passing game this year.

3. On paper, the team looks to be better than last year. I'd be surprised if they don't go at least 3-3 in league.

PLLB
May 8th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Given that he has less money/financial aid than most PL competitors, he's done a reasonable job.

someone want to explain this statement?? i have seen it in reference to georgetown also?

Pard94
May 8th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Man, I don't get it. Lafayette has too much change? Too many holes? What?? We have one hole in QB. Granted that's a big hole but if ever a team was structured to minimize the role of a young QB this is it! We have a couple of excellent running back's returning. I believe we are still the class of the league as far as O-line is concerned. All we need to do is pull a 2001 NE Patriot type of season. Give the ball to our QB and say "manage the game". You don't have to win it but don't lose it for us either and ram the ball down some PL throats. Our defense has some legitimate studs returning.

I think Colgate will continue to improve and be right in the mix. I think Lehigh has way too many questions outstanding. I've never been a big Sedale fan, particulalry when it comes to playing Lafayette. In fact given last year's lopsided affair, I think Lehigh clearly has to prove that Lafayette doesn't live in their collective head. At least the unsusbstantiated pregame smack talk should be at a minimum this year.

My prediction:

Lafayette
Colgate
Lehigh
Holy Cross
Fordham
Bucknell
Georgetown

Let the games begin!

carney2
May 8th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Given that he has less money/financial aid than most PL competitors, he's done a reasonable job.

someone want to explain this statement?? i have seen it in reference to georgetown also?

Elsewhere on this site is a thread entitled "Football Expenditures, 2006." It details expenditures in the northeast and shows Bucknell as number 6 (ahead of only Georgetown) in the PL. These numbers are published under the EADA, Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act and intuitively they don't make much sense to me. This is, however, some of the best information that we have available.

Looking at it from a different perspective we should consider scholarship equivalencies. (I am doing this from memory based on info supplied by Colgate13, so you know how old and therefore hazy this is.) Colgate, Lafayette and Lehigh have apparently been supporting their football ventures with equivalencies in the mid to upper 50s range. (Note that no one appears to be at the legislated max of 63.) No one else has been above 50, but rumor has it that Fordham and Bucknell have taken steps to close the gap.

I don't recognize your handle and your number of posts tells me that you are relatively new to this site. At the risk of boring you with what you may already know, I will again say that Landis and Bucknell have apparently embarked on a grand experiment to see if Smurfs with speed can compete and win in a league that is traditionally dominated by leviathans engaging in sumo matches down in the trenches. This will take time to play out and I agree with the poster who repudiates the notion that Landis is on borrowed time in Lewisburg.

EDITORIAL: My mind comes up with a zillion reasons why the Smurfs with speed thing can't possibly work. My heart, however, tells me to keep my fingers crossed and pray for its success. The way things stand right now some lucky "big kid" out there gets to eat turkey on the Thursday of Thanksgiving weekend and then follow that up by devouring the outmanned Patriot League champion on Saturday. Point being that the Patriot League is currently unable to match up with the large state universities of CFS and beat them at their own game. Perhaps something new and unusual is necessary to take things to a new level. I'm giving Landis an A+ for effort here.

LUHawker
May 8th, 2007, 10:24 AM
I think Lehigh has way too many questions outstanding. I've never been a big Sedale fan, particulalry when it comes to playing Lafayette. In fact given last year's lopsided affair, I think Lehigh clearly has to prove that Lafayette doesn't live in their collective head. At least the unsusbstantiated pregame smack talk should be at a minimum this year.

My prediction:

Lafayette
Colgate
Lehigh
Holy Cross
Fordham
Bucknell
Georgetown

Let the games begin!

I don't ever expect a Pard to give Lehigh props, but where are all of these question marks that you are talking about? And Sedale didn't perform poorly against LC last year, LU's defense did. When a team has a QB question, like LC does, it seems difficult to pick them to win the league. Very few teams can get by with just having a manager for a QB and I'm not sure LC is one of those this year. Mauer and Hurt are gone, so you've got inexperience at your key offensive positions. Me thinks that LC has more questions than LU.

PeacockRaider
May 8th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Call it a homer pick, but i think 'gate will rebound with a vengeance this year. The offensive line is only graduating 1, albeit a very good one, and Scott and Burke are big time weapons. The biggest question will be who emerges as the qb. Definsively, a lot of kids got time before you normally do at Colgate and this will work to their advantage. The front 4 is back, and so is my pick for DPOY, LB Mike Gallihugh who had a huge year last year and is the latest in the lineage of great lb's @ Colgate. Biggest question on D is who steps up in the Secondary. I would not be surprised if either Colgate, Lehigh, or Lafayette wins the PL title, but im going with Colgate, they get Lehigh home, and i believe still have a mental edge against Lafayette, plus that's where my heart is :) Side note, this senior class with the first class recruited after 'gate made it to the national championship game. Here's my guess at the rest
1 Colgate
2 Lafayette
3 Lehigh
4 Bucknell
5 Georgetown
6 HC
7 Fordham
OPOY QB Sedalle Threat Lehigh
DPOY LB Mike Gallihugh Colgate

Lehigh Football Nation
May 8th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Again, I'm hoping to talk about all these things at some point in the offseason, but I wanted to add something to the discussion.

1) The entire league has a lot to prove after getting creamed by OOC by pretty much everybody. The only "marquee" win in 2006 was Lehigh over Villanova, and after that you need to reach for Fordham over Albany. In past years, OOC games were largely seen as formalities to get warmed up for the "real season" of the PL. This year the CAA games are huge as always, but those H-Y-P games with Georgetown, HC, Lafayette and Lehigh will be damned interesting as well, not to mention Albany playing Fordham and Colgate. Never before have the OOC's been so challenging for so many teams.

2) Colgate was a maddening team last year, and that is reflecting in the predictions this year. They had serious problems scoring, with Saraceno being erratic and Scott frequently running behind makeshift lines. They only scored more than 28 points twice all last year. Will 2007 see major change? Is Relph really the answer due to QB? Was Jordan Scott's falloff solely due to the makeshift "O" line? Are they a championship team, or will they have problems scoring again?

3) Have we really lost our competitiveness on the national stage this quickly, or was last year just an aberration across the board? There were three brand-new head coaches breaking themselves in. Going into last year, the only starter as a senior had any sort of consistency in production was Brad Maurer on offense. Defensively, the best player going into the year was the monster LB from Fordham, but they were recovering from the collapse of the Foley era and needed to do some serious rebuilding.

2007 should be very different. I don't know how our OOC record will look going into October, but I'm going to guess that it will be better than last year. And with the entire league playing brutal schedules (save Bucknell), a .500 OOC record for the league would be a major accomplishment. I think they will accomplish this.

RichH2
May 8th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Oh, goody they let me out of my padded room( not allowed out much until football camps start).

1. Lehigh 9-2 (6-0) senior star QB does the trick with coach K's D coming on.
2. LC 7-4 (4-2) lack of QB kills them early
3. Gate 7-4 (3-3) Scott not enuf
4. HC 6-5 (2-4) Randolph scares the hell out of everyone
5. BC 5-6 (2-4) Speed kills but lack of an Oline kills speed,lots of walking wounded and 2nd stringers playing come Nov.
6.GU 4-7 (2-4) see above
7. FU 3-8 ( 1-5) Rebuilding. dortch back helps but lack of quality depth wears them out and down.

POY Threatt

D POY Gallihugh

ROY Who knows? Brallier

Bust LC O unless they find a qb

Surprise Bucknell early But LU D dominates once PL sced starts

G oY LU-LC

Pard94
May 8th, 2007, 11:57 AM
I don't ever expect a Pard to give Lehigh props, but where are all of these question marks that you are talking about? And Sedale didn't perform poorly against LC last year, LU's defense did. When a team has a QB question, like LC does, it seems difficult to pick them to win the league. Very few teams can get by with just having a manager for a QB and I'm not sure LC is one of those this year. Mauer and Hurt are gone, so you've got inexperience at your key offensive positions. Me thinks that LC has more questions than LU.

I think most of LU's questions still reside under the Head Coach. Understandably, Coen didn't quiet many of the nay sayers going into last year and the questions were only compounded by the ass kicking that occurred in the final game. He hasn't had an opportunity to build his style of team yet and I don't think everything is going to fully click for Lehigh until he has that chance. And I think Sedale is a big fat question mark under center. He was inconsistant at best last year. He doesn't scare me...he never has.

While there is no denying our ? at QB, I would contend that Hurt is all but replaced. Mo White showed flashes of brilliance as a junior and I think he is poised for great things this year as he lines up behind our massive OL. I'm not saying our QB, whoever it might be, can be a bump on a log in the backfield. But if he can hit Adair on some 10-15 yard patterns and hand off to White...I think we will be more than fine. Course, I'm just a fan so what the hell do I know...but I like our chances.

carney2
May 8th, 2007, 12:29 PM
We seem determined to talk about - and - dismiss the questions as unimportant (if they are about our team). A summary of the questions for some of the perceived contenders:

LEHIGH: Only 5 returning starters, but the Chickeneer faithful would have us believe that all is well. That's 17 questions from the get-go.

LAFAYETTE: QB: It doesn't get any bigger than that - and I don't have any warm fuzzies after spring practice. RB: Mo White looks like all-league potential. After that there is some inexperience and some unknowns. WR: Those freshman wunderkind might as well try out for the soccer team if a QB doesn't surface. OL: Can Hef put it together before November this year? And, those are only the offensive ?s.

'GATE: Last year's OL was undersized and ineffective but "they're back and that's a big plus." Huh?! The same QB problem as Lafayette. Just how much defense can Gallihugh play all by himself? (An overstatement, but you get my point.) This is an entire team, and after last year, an entire program of question marks.

HOLY CROSS: Is there anything - ANYTHING - in Woo-town besides Randolph and those two wideouts?

If you see a clear favorite in this group, then I want to borrow your rose colored glasses.

Lafalumni29
May 8th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Man, I don't get it. Lafayette has too much change? Too many holes? What?? We have one hole in QB. Granted that's a big hole but if ever a team was structured to minimize the role of a young QB this is it! We have a couple of excellent running back's returning. I believe we are still the class of the league as far as O-line is concerned. All we need to do is pull a 2001 NE Patriot type of season. Give the ball to our QB and say "manage the game". You don't have to win it but don't lose it for us either and ram the ball down some PL throats. Our defense has some legitimate studs returning.

I think Colgate will continue to improve and be right in the mix. I think Lehigh has way too many questions outstanding. I've never been a big Sedale fan, particulalry when it comes to playing Lafayette. In fact given last year's lopsided affair, I think Lehigh clearly has to prove that Lafayette doesn't live in their collective head. At least the unsusbstantiated pregame smack talk should be at a minimum this year.

My prediction:

Lafayette
Colgate
Lehigh
Holy Cross
Fordham
Bucknell
Georgetown

Let the games begin!
I totally agree with you 94 although I'm sure Tavani would love to assume the underdog role again this year. But when will everyone get it? We have had holes to fill since the 2004 championshp season. No one thought Hurt could ever fill Joe McCourt's shoes. Everyone thought the loss of Bennett, Costanzo, and Spoon would be devastating. All it's done is get us 2 more championships. Tavani has said for the last few years that his recruiting classes just keep getting better and better. I would be bit more inclined to believe him after 3 in a row.
How about that new Varsity Football House?? Phew!!!

http://www.lafayette.edu/press/construction/index_camera.html

RichH2
May 8th, 2007, 12:38 PM
i do think that last years OOC disaster was an anomaly BUT it is not clear that PL has improved enuf to gt over .500 OOC. Key will be Ivies For LU particularly, must play all 4 periods.

RichH2
May 8th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Carney, Ithink your math is a bit off on LU returning starters 5 on Offense and 5 on D with 12 ??? which Coen willhave to fill. OL 2 deep, DL are main Qs both return lots of bodies. Hopefully with enuf talent to support my prediction. OL s/b solid adding Evanko and casey. DL has 14 bodies for 3 spots. Lots of size and talent but is it enuf to stabilize D. Last yr a vg DL but D kept self destucting. This yr DL probably not as good but D has a yr with Coach K's D. Is that enuf?

carney2
May 8th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Carney, Ithink your math is a bit off on LU returning starters 5 on Offense and 5 on D with 12 ??? which Coen willhave to fill. OL 2 deep, DL are main Qs both return lots of bodies. Hopefully with enuf talent to support my prediction. OL s/b solid adding Evanko and casey. DL has 14 bodies for 3 spots. Lots of size and talent but is it enuf to stabilize D. Last yr a vg DL but D kept self destucting. This yr DL probably not as good but D has a yr with Coach K's D. Is that enuf?

RichH, it must be your day with the rose colored glasses. Dibs. Me next. Anyway, my program tells me that these are the returning Lehigh starters:

Offensive Starters Returning (3)
QB Sedale Threatt (6-3, 210, Sr.)
OL Jimmy Kehs (6-4, 310, Sr.)
OL John Reese (6-1, 270, Sr.)

Defensive Starters Returning (2)
DB Ernest Moore (6-0, 195, Sr.)
DB Julian Ahye (5-6, 155, Sr.)

PeacockRaider
May 8th, 2007, 12:58 PM
We seem determined to talk about - and - dismiss the questions as unimportant (if they are about our team). A summary of the questions for some of the perceived contenders:

'GATE: Last year's OL was undersized and ineffective but "they're back and that's a big plus." Huh?! The same QB problem as Lafayette. Just how much defense can Gallihugh play all by himself? (An overstatement, but you get my point.) This is an entire team, and after last year, an entire program of question marks.

If you see a clear favorite in this group, then I want to borrow your rose colored glasses.

You are correct, we all look to the positive because we believe in our team, which is human nature. My optimism in the offensive line is the fact that being undersized can be easily corrected with a year of maturity and in the weight room. I expect a major improvement in this area. However, like you said Colgate will only go as far as their QB. If one doen't step up, it won't matter how improved the o-line is when your attack is one dimensional. It's no secret 'gate got beat in the trenches on both sides of the ball last year, my optimism lies in the fact they are back, bigger, stronger, more experienced, and ready to take it to people. Oh yeah and our qb, whoever he may be, plays well

RichH2
May 8th, 2007, 01:01 PM
On O Bayani started at the end of the year. Also mcGovern at rb

On D thomas, Campion Gillard all started

carney2
May 8th, 2007, 01:15 PM
i do think that last years OOC disaster was an anomaly BUT it is not clear that PL has improved enuf to gt over .500 OOC. Key will be Ivies For LU particularly, must play all 4 periods.

PL OOC: Too much Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Penn; not enough Dartmouth, Brown, Cornell, Columbia. Anyway, I took a look at the OOC schedules and my crystal ball has the League going something like 13-22 against the rest of the world. If that's better than last year, it isn't by much.

carney2
May 8th, 2007, 01:34 PM
A reminder that last year at this time we were focused on Colgate as the clear, but not overwhelming favorite. Might I suggest that we choose our win, place and show selections, discard them and bet on the field.

Pard94
May 8th, 2007, 01:56 PM

LEHIGH: Only 5 returning starters, but the Chickeneer faithful would have us believe that all is well. That's 17 questions from the get-go.

LAFAYETTE: QB: It doesn't get any bigger than that - and I don't have any warm fuzzies after spring practice. RB: Mo White looks like all-league potential. After that there is some inexperience and some unknowns. WR: Those freshman wunderkind might as well try out for the soccer team if a QB doesn't surface. OL: Can Hef put it together before November this year? And, those are only the offensive ?s.

HOLY CROSS: Is there anything - ANYTHING - in Woo-town besides Randolph and those two wideouts?

Carney, you are nothing if not consistent. Have you kicked your dog today while you're at it? You don't think Tavani can get a serviceable QB to hand the ball off to his potentially all league running back and complete short to mid range passes to the wunderkind receivers and allow them to rack up the YAC (yards after catch)? Look I am not expecting anyone to annoint Lafayette the champs (least of all you). I would just like people to realize that the questions that loom for Lafayette are few and potentially manageable. Lehigh somehow gets the preseason nod despite losing 17!!! That's crap in my humble estimation.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 8th, 2007, 02:00 PM
On O Bayani started at the end of the year. Also mcGovern at rb

On D thomas, Campion Gillard all started

Didn't WR Donchez also start one or two games? For sure Donchez and Yansane all saw time on the field. We lose WR Lee Thomas and Frank "Al Del Greco" Trovato, but the #3 receiver I thought was Donchez.

Also, as Rich said RB McGowan got significant time in the backfield as well. For that matter, RB Pastore also had some time back there too. LB Travis Stinson is returning, as well as LB Campion and CB Brannan Thomas. Gilliard is a rising senior, and he started too.

Even the rosiest of glasses has to see that Threatt's return is a plus, while Colgate and Lafayette's uncertainty at QB is a minus.

Fordham
May 8th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Pard94 glass is half full, carney's is half empty and my glass is twice the size it needs to be.

Seriously, I'm arm in arm with carney here on 2 points - a) it's wide open and just a complete guessing game (much moreso than most years imo) and b) the PL is heading for a struggle-mightily year this year again.

I believe these last 2 or so years have quickly turned me from a pretty strong optimist to an extremely strong "I'll believe it when I see it" guy ... particularly when it comes to my crazy but loveable Rams.

Pard94
May 8th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Didn't WR Donchez also start one or two games? For sure Donchez and Yansane all saw time on the field. We lose WR Lee Thomas and Frank "Al Del Greco" Trovato, but the #3 receiver I thought was Donchez.

Also, as Rich said RB McGowan got significant time in the backfield as well. For that matter, RB Pastore also had some time back there too. LB Travis Stinson is returning, as well as LB Campion and CB Brannan Thomas. Gilliard is a rising senior, and he started too.

Even the rosiest of glasses has to see that Threatt's return is a plus, while Colgate and Lafayette's uncertainty at QB is a minus.

I think Sedale's return is parsely...it just sits on the plate and neither offends or compliments. Take him or leave him...you can take him, I'll leave him.

PLLB
May 8th, 2007, 02:38 PM

LT Steve Jonas Jr.-2L 6-4 305 Webster, NY (Webster Schroeder
RG Rich Rosabella Jr.-2L 6-0 256 Naples, FL (Barron Collier)
RT Nick Hennessey Jr.-1L 6-5 295 Danvers, MA (Phillips Andover)
TE Brent Dillingham Jr.-2L 6-5 270 Naples, FL (Barron Collier)
C Ryan Gross (6-2, 265)
LG Sullivan, Matt * OG Sr. 6-4 294 Cockeysville, MD (Loyola Blakefield)

here is the oline and te with their heights and weights at the end of the spring. undersized?

d-line starters
DE Ryan Keller Sr.-2L 6-1 235 Colts Neck, NJ (Colts Neck)
DT Paul Mancuso So.-1L 6-2 280 Somers, NY (Trinity-Pawling)
DT Pat Nolan Sr.-2L 6-4 275 Exeter, NH (Exeter)
DT Walker, Carlton So. 6-0 265 Columbus, OH (Columbus Academy)

Andy
May 8th, 2007, 02:42 PM
I think most of LU's questions still reside under the Head Coach. Understandably, Coen didn't quiet many of the nay sayers going into last year and the questions were only compounded by the ass kicking that occurred in the final game. He hasn't had an opportunity to build his style of team yet and I don't think everything is going to fully click for Lehigh until he has that chance. And I think Sedale is a big fat question mark under center. He was inconsistant at best last year. He doesn't scare me...he never has.

While there is no denying our ? at QB, I would contend that Hurt is all but replaced. Mo White showed flashes of brilliance as a junior and I think he is poised for great things this year as he lines up behind our massive OL. I'm not saying our QB, whoever it might be, can be a bump on a log in the backfield. But if he can hit Adair on some 10-15 yard patterns and hand off to White...I think we will be more than fine. Course, I'm just a fan so what the hell do I know...but I like our chances.

I just can't pick a team for first with an unknown quantity at QB. So I'd have to go with Lehigh based on QB quality/experience and their fifth years on the O-line.

However, I'll say this about Lafayette without blushing:

1)TB/FB combo of White/Russo gives up very little, if anything at all, to any other pair in the league.

2)O-line of Moore, Lippert, Wojcik, Brown, Padilla will be the best in the league with a nod of respect to LU.

3)D-line of Bloom, Sprenkle, Babcock/Poulson, Mills will be as good as any in the league. Who's better?

4)LB unit of Romans, Leggiero, Plumby--let's go!

5)D-backs--a solid unit, as athletic a group as we've had, and--due to injuries at the safety positions last year--experienced. Quarterman, Bryant, Lawson, Clecidor. Would like more height at FS and Q'man not a classic big hitter at SS, but I like this group.

Could say this embarrassment of riches creates a cushy environment in which to break in a freshman QB. IMO it actually demands that the sr. former back-up, DiPaola (with at least the experience gained through time served) be given every chance to win, where normally, with less collective talent at risk to waste, he'd be moved aside for the younger guy. Receiver group a ????

Lehigh--QB and because the fifth years mitigate what looked to be a difficult transition from last year's senior dominated club.

LC--Gate pick 'em. Whose QB emerges?

HC--offensive skill positions, I don't know enough about their D.

FU--like what I saw from Skelton/Jordan, Syl Clark, Rayburn, Coven, et al on O with some linemen coming back from injury (I believe), but how do they replace Terzis, Boza, Edwards, Taylor on the D front seven?

Georgetown--I'm still trying to figure out what happened to the league's only 3* player, Cangelosi?

BU--gimmick offense always concerns.

(probably should've gone with "mega-dittos, 94")

RichH2
May 8th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Agree Andy Gate LC Qb please find me a QB? Is Babb as good as They claim? Saraceno too inconsistent. LC who is your pick for qb?

carney2
May 8th, 2007, 03:35 PM
LC who is your pick for qb?

There is no obvious candidate. Right now, DiPaola, the senior with no meaningful snaps on his resume, is the front runner. I look for him to start the first couple of games while things continue to sort themselves out.

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't, damned if I know situation. There will be 6 contenders, none with experience: 1 senior, 1 sophomore, 1 redshirt freshman, and 3 true freshmen. Here are the "problems:

If DiPaola, the senior, is the starter for 2007, the 3 true freshmen - all with resumes that rival Babb at Colgate who is getting some ink in this thread - will have an entire year to get their feet on the ground and prepare themselves to mount a real drive for the starting job next year.

BUT

We will be back here next year at this time asking this same question.

If the sophomore or redshirt freshman takes charge, at least one or two of the true freshmen will whither and die.

It is hard to visualize a true freshman stepping in and becoming "the man." It's happened; you can give me examples; but...

The coaches have a real problem. They need to focus on one or two individuals early and start prepping him/them for a tough season. There's not a lot of time for auditions and there's not much room for mistakes.

LBPop
May 8th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Georgetown--I'm still trying to figure out what happened to the league's only 3* player, Cangelosi?

FYI, Nick fell victim to some untimely injuries, a new offense that didn't suit his style, and the opportunity to graduate from Georgetown on time. Great kid, who earned a fine GPA at a pretty damn good school. He's moving on to graduate school in the fall.

Andy
May 8th, 2007, 05:00 PM
[QUOTE=LBPop]FYI, Nick fell victim to some untimely injuries, a new offense that didn't suit his style, and the opportunity to graduate from Georgetown on time. Great kid, who earned a fine GPA at a pretty damn good school. He's moving on to graduate school in the fall.[/QUOTE

Thanks, Pop, we caught a glimpse of him a few seasons back and I thought he looked pretty good, particularly mobile for a big kid. Best of luck to him.

PLLB
May 9th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Agree Andy Gate LC Qb please find me a QB? Is Babb as good as They claim? Saraceno too inconsistent. LC who is your pick for qb?

his inconsistency won a patriot league title in 2005..

carney2
May 9th, 2007, 11:19 AM
(1.) Carney, you are nothing if not consistent. Have you kicked your dog today while you're at it? (2.) You don't think Tavani can get a serviceable QB to hand the ball off to his potentially all league running back and complete short to mid range passes to the wunderkind receivers and allow them to rack up the YAC (yards after catch)? (3.) Look I am not expecting anyone to annoint Lafayette the champs (least of all you). (4.) I would just like people to realize that the questions that loom for Lafayette are few and potentially manageable. (5.) Lehigh somehow gets the preseason nod despite losing 17!!! That's crap in my humble estimation.

My, my, the venom - and it's only May. Responses, keyed to numbered items in the quote from 94:

1. This is not a prediction; merely a listing of the "questions" that every one of the "contenders" has. There is not even a hint that these are insoluble or mountains too big to climb. Not sure where you got that.

2. All of these are capable of solution and, given Frank's track record, will in all probability be solved. See 1.

3. Actually, in my demented mind, it's a two team race with our Pards being one of the two. No one else need apply.

4. See 1. and 2.

5. As best I can tell, Lehigh gets the nod from those who are nodding in that direction because they are the only true contender with a settled QB situation. I happen to be in your camp, by the way, in that I am also not a big Sedale Threatt fan. I stand by my original comment that, with only 5 returning starters*, that gives them 17 serious question marks. I wouldn't be pumping my chest out all that far just yet if I were a Chicken Squawk. It's not a done deal.

*NOTE TO RichH: The "5 returning starters" data comes from the PL website. I'm not sure how they arrived at it. I've assumed that, like most of their info, it came from the schools. I am sure, however, that every team has guys who started games here and there - perhaps even near the end of the season. My conclusion is that, based on the data used to compile this list, the people you mention are not "returning starters." Contributors maybe, but not starters.

Not being one to shy away from these wars of words and opinions, I will throw yet another t _ _ d in the punch bowl by saying that all things considered, I'd rather not be Holy Cross. They, in my opinion, have the one set of questions that may not be capable of resolution.

DFW HOYA
May 9th, 2007, 12:06 PM
3. Actually, in my demented mind, it's a two team race with our Pards being one of the two. No one else need apply.

In a roundabout way, isn't that what the PL leadership wants these days? Lehigh and Lafayette every year, maybe Colgate now and then. And you said it: "No one else need apply."

(See the upcoming thread "Patriot League: Conference of the Status Quo".)

carney2
May 9th, 2007, 12:41 PM
In a roundabout way, isn't that what the PL leadership wants these days? Lehigh and Lafayette every year, maybe Colgate now and then. And you said it: "No one else need apply."

(See the upcoming thread "Patriot League: Conference of the Status Quo".)

Not sure if the leadership wants it this way (although I'm sure that they enjoy that high profile sellout each Saturday before Thanksgiving and the fact that it's been "meaningful" of late), but you have ventured into a zone of truth here. Assuming that you are serious in mentioning it, I am looking forward to the "Status Quo" thread.

RichH2
May 9th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Having been around Lehigh football since the early 60's I find the current reference to status quo amusing. LU was for more years than I care to remember the doormat team until the mid 70s Some good years with John. Hank brought Air lehigh if not great records every year. Higgins for the 1st 4 year was barely at .500 Consistent mediocrity Since ,Kevin raised the bar and Lembo maintained the level even if unsuccessful in exceeding it, LU has been consistently good but not able to take the next step nationally. Coen 's 1st year cannot be called a success by any means losing to the ivies and LC. BUT given the changes it was not as bad as it could have been. The question is whether he can 1st return to the level of Higgins & lembo and then exceed it.

The shape of the PL over the next 3-4 year is critcal to its survival as a viable football conference. I think Coen, certainly Tavani and Biddle can do so BUT can the rest. FU should improve, can new GU coach work miracles with so few schollies,can Landis do the same with hi s funky offense??????
As noted by many our OOC must improve.

The 2nd half of the PL has to move up. Some progress has been made I hope with this yrs classes, other than HC.

$$$$$ LC,LU and gate I believe are all around the mid 50s . Everyone else is lower and for some substantially so.

I would like to see all of the schools get up to 60 or so equivalencies, which would make us a bit more consistent and competitive outside of conference.

I would also like to be 20 yrs younger. I'm hoping that PL football has more chance of success. Time for a gin & tonic.