PDA

View Full Version : JMU - Could Break Tix Sales Record

TexasTerror
May 5th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Love to read articles like this, only means people are loving their FCS football! James Madison fans are buying up tickets and for the fourth straight year, looks like JMU is going to break the record they have for football season-ticket sales.

Keep it up Dukes!
-----------------
JMU Football Tickets Still Hot
Posted 2007-05-05
By Mike Barber

HARRISONBURG – For the fourth straight year, James Madison is on pace to set a record for football season-ticket sales.

"I think what’s happened in our football program, because of the scoreboard and the new building, the new speaker system we have there, I think when people come to one of our games, what we’re having is a lot of return business," JMU coach Mickey Matthews said Friday. "When they come one time to a game, they’re coming back."

Winning – obviously – hasn’t hurt, either.

The Dukes have gone 29-9 the last three seasons. Ticket sales were already on the rise when Madison – fueled by Louisville transfer quarterback Justin Rascati – went 13-2 and won the 2004 Division I-AA national championship.

That year, JMU drew a then-record average of 12,790 fans over six home games. In 2005, that number went up to 13,525, also over six dates at Bridgeforth Stadium.

http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=10140&CHID=3

May 5th, 2007, 09:36 PM
yeah, Louisville transfer quarterback Justin Rascati was sooooooo hot at Louisville that explains it..... xrolleyesx He was hot at JMU folks, it had nothing to do with him being a transfer. Stupid FBS-loving press needs that to keep it's sponsorship of FBS-loving advertisers. Makes me sick. JMU rocked because JMU ROCKED! louisville had nothing to do with it. They won nothing, JMU WON THE D-I NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP.

FlyYtown
May 5th, 2007, 11:40 PM
yeah, Louisville transfer quarterback Justin Rascati was sooooooo hot at Louisville that explains it..... xrolleyesx He was hot at JMU folks, it had nothing to do with him being a transfer. Stupid FBS-loving press needs that to keep it's sponsorship of FBS-loving advertisers. Makes me sick. JMU rocked because JMU ROCKED! louisville had nothing to do with it. They won nothing, JMU WON THE D-I NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP.

Ralph.. What are you trying to prove by poking fun at the bigger and the better schools and players out there? When JMU won the National Title; it was known as the Division 1-AA National Title..

-That is what it says on the trophy.
-I don't understand why you get so damn worked up over the dumbest ****!
Rascati had the makings of a DIVISION 1 QB; that is an FBS one.

BTW: Believe it or not I do really enjoy FCS Football. I love the playoffs, the rivalries, the atmospheres, and the hometown pride... But comments like Ralph's are the reasons why the FCS gets no respect from the media and from FBS fans. Remember Ralph, 'Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you.'

jmuroller
May 6th, 2007, 12:15 AM
They are called transfers because that is exactly what they are...

If we want the press to keep commenting on every transfer then I have a simple solution...STOP LETTING THEM TRANSFER.

Drop the rule that says they don't have to sit out a year if they transfer down. Simple solution.

May 6th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Ralph.. What are you trying to prove by poking fun at the bigger and the better schools and players out there? When JMU won the National Title; it was known as the Division 1-AA National Title..
-That is what it says on the trophy.Obviously you can't see the trophy... "1-AA" has never appeared on ANY NCAA trophy. xrolleyesx JMU won the highest level NCAA football championship, the Division I title.
Rascati had the makings of a DIVISION 1 QBRascati played nothing but Division I (again 1 never existed). Remember flyytown that ignorance is not bliss and that comments of ignorance are noted by their originator. Good luck with that... and your FBS-loving dreams. xrolleyesx xsmhx xcoffeex xrulesx xnonono2x xpeacex xwhistlex xoopsx xeekx xsmhx

FlyYtown
May 6th, 2007, 07:02 AM
and your FBS-loving dreams. xrolleyesx xsmhx xcoffeex xrulesx xnonono2x xpeacex xwhistlex xoopsx xeekx xsmhx

You and I both know Ralph that MOST fans on this site would LOVE to see their teams move up to I-A. That is the case with YSU, JMU, APPY, MONTANA, and others. Moving up gets the school more publicity and allows them to play the best competition week in and week out.

What I say is not ignorance Ralph, you post that; everything I say is a belief shared by many FCS fans.

TexasTerror
May 6th, 2007, 07:28 AM
You and I both know Ralph that MOST fans on this site would LOVE to see their teams move up to I-A. That is the case with YSU, JMU, APPY, MONTANA, and others. Moving up gets the school more publicity and allows them to play the best competition week in and week out.

What are you talking about? Are you new to this board? I don't think most of the fans on this board would love to "move up". Moving to FBS is actually a move down for all it's worth -- atleast, when you can't compete for a nationally recognized championship -- what's the point?

FYI...just so I can catch you up on topics that continually come up, there was a horse named Any Given Saturday in the Derby yesterday and Appalachian State has a video entitled, 'HOT HOT HOT'.

FlyYtown
May 6th, 2007, 09:38 AM
TexasTerror.. If you don't think these FCS schools wouldn't want to move up you are smoking something. You know the PLAYERS would love to play in the bigger and better FBS; and that is shared by MOST fans.

I don't understand why so many of you are so damn close-minded when it comes to this stuff. You all know FBS football gets schools far more attention than FCS football; and you know schools which move up can make immediate impacts..... Hence: Boise, Marshall, Nevada, etc.

TexasTerror
May 6th, 2007, 09:47 AM
TexasTerror.. If you don't think these FCS schools wouldn't want to move up you are smoking something. You know the PLAYERS would love to play in the bigger and better FBS; and that is shared by MOST fans.

So, do the schools want to move up as you noted in sentence number one? Or is it the fans? The schools are having enough problems. Even the school that seems closest to moving up to FBS, Texas State, has their fair share of problems starting with building a baseball/softball complex. Little old Sam Houston St just built one and SFA isn't too far behind.

Perhaps those smoking something are the ones with illusions of false grandeur of going to FBS...

I don't understand why so many of you are so damn close-minded when it comes to this stuff. You all know FBS football gets schools far more attention than FCS football; and you know schools which move up can make immediate impacts..... Hence: Boise, Marshall, Nevada, etc.

Yep, Florida Atlantic, Louisiana-Monroe and Arkansas State can make quite the impact too... xnodx

th0m
May 6th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Great news! I was expecting another record-breaking year, but expecting it and making it happen are two different things! Duke Club membership has gone up exponentially as well. Good things on all levels.

rufus
May 6th, 2007, 10:00 AM
You and I both know Ralph that MOST fans on this site would LOVE to see their teams move up to I-A. That is the case with YSU, JMU, APPY, MONTANA, and others.
I would agree that most JMU fans support a move to FBS, but there is definitely a vocal minority that doesn't. Even among the majority that would prefer FBS, I think most still really enjoy coming out and seeing us play FCS. I also think most of our fans recognize the potential downside of moving to FBS. We'll know a lot more about our future (FCS or FBS) by the end of this week. If the plan is 25k seats or less, and new press box, and then nothing else, I would say that FCS is the plan for the forseable future. If we annouce a plan to go to 30k+, then we're not doing it for FCS.

Either way, it's good to hear that we're continuing to grow our season ticket base. Considering the lackluster marketing efforts of our athletic department, it's surprising.

jmuroller
May 6th, 2007, 03:16 PM
I would agree that most JMU fans support a move to FBS, but there is definitely a vocal minority that doesn't. Even among the majority that would prefer FBS, I think most still really enjoy coming out and seeing us play FCS. I also think most of our fans recognize the potential downside of moving to FBS. We'll know a lot more about our future (FCS or FBS) by the end of this week. If the plan is 25k seats or less, and new press box, and then nothing else, I would say that FCS is the plan for the forseable future. If we annouce a plan to go to 30k+, then we're not doing it for FCS.

Either way, it's good to hear that we're continuing to grow our season ticket base. Considering the lackluster marketing efforts of our athletic department, it's surprising.

We must be doing something right in the marketing department when our marketing director just took another bigger job. Someone thinks he was doing a good job.

The FCS schools that did the right thing when moving up to FBS are the models to look at. Marshall, NEvada, Boise, etc are the ones I want to see JMU act like.

FBS is a step up, whatever way you look at it. You can hang your hat on the National Championship flight all you want, but the Bowl System is way bigger in money, fan support, publicity, attendance, talent, and any other way you look at it.

I was all about FCS untill the screw job they gave JMU and YSU this year. There is no way that the #4 and #5 team in the Nation should have met in the first round. If the you want the respect of the nation, then you have to earn it, not lose it. They lost mine this year.

AppGuy04
May 6th, 2007, 04:57 PM
You guys are dumb, its like fighting over whether to call your grandmother grandma or grandmother, its ****ing nitpicky and makes all of you look dumb

Ralph, we know its DI, not D1, but you know what he meant, so give it a rest

Fly, we know you love FBS, just don't shove it in Ralph's face cause we know he hates it, its only provocation

LegacyDuke08
May 6th, 2007, 06:53 PM
I am interning at the JMU ticket office this summer and the deadline to renew season tickets is May 15th. Its gonna be a busy week at work. I also talked to my boss and they cut people off. They could have more season tickets but have to cut it off at a certain point because they need tickets for Homecoming and Family weekend. Just and interesting tidbit.

aggie6thman
May 6th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Congrats on the increased attendance and season ticket sales! Would be nice if we had some articles about the same subject out here in Davis!

FlyYtown
May 6th, 2007, 07:43 PM
YSU's season ticket sales are up as well; which is a good thing!! With a 7 game home tilt, and 4 of the first 7 home games in September; I expect some big turnouts early on with the mild fall temperatures.

BTW: JMU Fans, what is up with caazone.com???? Is it down for good or just temporary. I like to read up on you guys. And another thing, your fight song has been stuck in my head since that game. The main reason is because your band was so loud and played your fight song at least 10 times during the game.... My head: "Madison, James Madison, show your colors..."

Listen to This!
Audio Highlights from JMU @ YSU! (http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/1h/cchannel.download.akamai.com/18227/podcast/YOUNGSTOWN-OH/WKBN-AM/YSU%20I-AA%20Playoffs%2011-25-06%20Leibert%20Package.mp3?CPROG=PCAST&MARKET=YOUNGSTOWN-OH&NG_FORMAT=newstalk&SITE_ID=1188&STATION_ID=WKBN-AM&PCAST_AUTHOR=Thomas_John&PCAST_CAT=talk_radio&PCAST_TITLE=WKBN_Sports)

LegacyDuke08
May 6th, 2007, 09:14 PM
YSU's season ticket sales are up as well; which is a good thing!! With a 7 game home tilt, and 4 of the first 7 home games in September; I expect some big turnouts early on with the mild fall temperatures.

BTW: JMU Fans, what is up with caazone.com???? Is it down for good or just temporary. I like to read up on you guys. And another thing, your fight song has been stuck in my head since that game. The main reason is because your band was so loud and played your fight song at least 10 times during the game.... My head: "Madison, James Madison, show your colors..."

Listen to This!
Audio Highlights from JMU @ YSU! (http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/1h/cchannel.download.akamai.com/18227/podcast/YOUNGSTOWN-OH/WKBN-AM/YSU%20I-AA%20Playoffs%2011-25-06%20Leibert%20Package.mp3?CPROG=PCAST&MARKET=YOUNGSTOWN-OH&NG_FORMAT=newstalk&SITE_ID=1188&STATION_ID=WKBN-AM&PCAST_AUTHOR=Thomas_John&PCAST_CAT=talk_radio&PCAST_TITLE=WKBN_Sports)

The CAAZONE is moving right now to a better server. It should be up within the week. Damn straight our song is stuck in your head as it should be. With one of the best bands in the nation they play the fight song as many times as they want.

grayghost06
May 7th, 2007, 12:54 AM
The CAAZONE is moving right now to a better server. It should be up within the week. Damn straight our song is stuck in your head as it should be. With one of the best bands in the nation they play the fight song as many times as they want.
...Damn, I hope our site is up before another week...It's already been down 4 days or so. How long does something like this take???

JMU2K_DukeDawg
May 7th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Yeah, I am going to renew my tickets later this week when I'll be on the next month's credit card bill. Gotta budget for these expenses!

One point from the article - it mentions prices going up. Yes and No. $100 = 6 games in 2007, $85 = 5 games in 2006. Technically, games are 33 cents cheaper per game.

What the article should have mentioned was the hike in minimum donations for certain parking privileges. P-lot - up to $300 from $100 min.; G-lot - up to $750 from $500 min.; Parking Deck 2-5 up from $100 to $150 min.; and I'm sure Godwin field, the prime real estate for tailgating, is way up as well, but I'm not near that "club" yet, so I can't recall the exact figures. These numbers are sure to rise every couple of years or so as we expand the stadium.

Consider that what JMU fans pay for $1000 in parking, UVA alumni pay over $25,000 in donations each year. xeekx This will be the true "growing pain" if we choose to move to FBS level football.

I know we typically haven't traveled well, but I think we'll sell out those 4,000 tickets. I know I myself could buy 10 easily for friends and family interested in going. Tons of alumni in Richmond, and they're just about 2-3 hours away from Chapel Hill, just a little farther than Harrisonburg from Richmond.

th0m
May 7th, 2007, 11:08 AM

Listen to This!

Argh I can't listen to that audio :p

Yeah the CAAzone has been down since some time last week. Really bugs me, but I guess once it gets back it will be for the better.

DunkandDukin
May 7th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Yea, the darn Zone beens down so long I started to think it was just me. xconfusedx

We have about two more days before we find out what the intended direction is for JMU football for a loooooong time to come. Tickets sales are way up since just about 5 yrs ago, but would that translate to people dropping 2,500 for a parking pass, much less 25k? Not a chance IMO without a move to FBS and I'm not sure of my own thoughts on the subject.

And BTW, I too have an extremely difficult time figuring out why ANY mention of Rascati has to be prefaced by "Louisville Transfer". How much friggin time did he actually spend at Louisville verse JMU? Where did he actually receive his degree? Where did he actually PLAY football? Get over this idea there needs to be some sort of stigma attached to a victory/season/program because a player transfered in. If he had transfered from a school like, say Gettysburg as I did, would THAT be continuously pointed out? It's friggin ridiculous and after 3+ years, WE GET IT!!!

GannonFan
May 7th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Hey, Delaware had David Boler and Joey Bleymeir from USC and Arizona St respectively - both spent a redshirt year at those schools before transferring to UD and being eligible for 4 years at UD. And both were called transfers the entire time they were at UD, despite the 4 years they could play at UD being the same amount of playing time that a high school recruit could play. It's just how it goes.

Dukie95
May 7th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Yea, the darn Zone beens down so long I started to think it was just me. xconfusedx

We have about two more days before we find out what the intended direction is for JMU football for a loooooong time to come. Tickets sales are way up since just about 5 yrs ago, but would that translate to people dropping 2,500 for a parking pass, much less 25k? Not a chance IMO without a move to FBS and I'm not sure of my own thoughts on the subject.

And BTW, I too have an extremely difficult time figuring out why ANY mention of Rascati has to be prefaced by "Louisville Transfer". How much friggin time did he actually spend at Louisville verse JMU? Where did he actually receive his degree? Where did he actually PLAY football? Get over this idea there needs to be some sort of stigma attached to a victory/season/program because a player transfered in. If he had transfered from a school like, say Gettysburg as I did, would THAT be continuously pointed out? It's friggin ridiculous and after 3+ years, WE GET IT!!!

Says the CAAZone transfer poster. :D

DunkandDukin
May 7th, 2007, 02:47 PM
xlolx

"DunkandDukin' an all CAA Zone poster his senior year and second team junior year transfered to AGS after an extended period of down time from the Zone". Seems the withdrawals had become unbearable and work productivity had increased substantially, raising suspicions of wasted time and unfairly raising expectations. Season tickets sales have not been afected...xwhistlex

89Hen
May 7th, 2007, 03:35 PM
You and I both know Ralph that MOST fans on this site would LOVE to see their teams move up to I-A.
xcoffeex

89Hen
May 7th, 2007, 04:22 PM
BTW, CONGRATS to the Dukes. xthumbsupx xbowx I'd like nothing more than to see ALL I-AA's set records in sales and attendance.

TheBisonator
May 7th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Here's what I think is pretty odd - JMU will sell probably over 4,000 season tickets this year, and the actual people in their athletic department and university are talking about an FBS move. Meanwhile, NDSU has sold over 6,500 season tickets so far (That number may break 7,000 in the end according to a source of mine), and nobody in our university is seriously talking about an FBS move.

And Montana has what, over 17,000 season tix, and only their fans are talking FBS.

PLEASE JMU, don't become another Western Kentucky!!

jmufootball2
May 7th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Its all about building for the futur, you have to realize our football program is young. The past 5 years we have really positioned ourself for a move to FBS and also to be at the top of FCS.

rufus
May 7th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Here's what I think is pretty odd - JMU will sell probably over 4,000 season tickets this year, and the actual people in their athletic department and university are talking about an FBS move. Meanwhile, NDSU has sold over 6,500 season tickets so far (That number may break 7,000 in the end according to a source of mine), and nobody in our university is seriously talking about an FBS move.

And Montana has what, over 17,000 season tix, and only their fans are talking FBS.

Nobody in JMU's adminstration is talking about an imminent move to FBS, and neither are most fans. What our administration is seriously considering is an FBS-quality stadium, which would allow us to move to FBS easily if the opportunity later presents itself. This has been the stance of the administration since our current president took office in 1998. You have to keep in mind that JMU first announced its plan to expand the stadium to 40,000 seats back in 2001 (the long-term goal was later revised to 50,000 seats in 2006). These are only long-term goals. The current plan only calls for 25-30k and a new press box with luxury suites.

Moving to FBS also involves more than just season ticket sales. The biggest issue is money.

Football Budget:
NDSU - $2.3 million
JMU - $4.2 million

Total Athletic Budget:
NDSU - $8.8 million
JMU - $23.0 million

With the largest football budget in FCS and the second largest overall budget behind Georgetown, JMU is better positioned for FBS than most schools in our subdivision. Even so, JMU isn't going anywhere for at least the next couple years.

TheBisonator
May 7th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Nobody in JMU's adminstration is talking about an imminent move to FBS, and neither are most fans. What our administration is seriously considering is an FBS-quality stadium, which would allow us to move to FBS easily if the opportunity later presents itself. This has been the stance of the administration since our current president took office in 1998. You have to keep in mind that JMU first announced its plan to expand the stadium to 40,000 seats back in 2001 (the long-term goal was later revised to 50,000 seats in 2006). These are only long-term goals. The current plan only calls for 25-30k and a new press box with luxury suites.

Moving to FBS also involves more than just season ticket sales. The biggest issue is money.

Football Budget:
NDSU - $2.3 million
JMU - $4.2 million

Total Athletic Budget:
NDSU - $8.8 million
JMU - $23.0 million

With the largest football budget in FCS and the second largest overall budget behind Georgetown, JMU is better positioned for FBS than most schools in our subdivision. Even so, JMU isn't going anywhere for at least the next couple years.

Those numbers are just a tad old. For this year (06-07) our football budget is about $2.5 million, and our athletic budget is $9.5 million. But I understand anyway.

And $23 million for JMU's athletic budget?? DAYUM!!!!!xeekx xeekx xeekx Hell, we're expected to top off at about $12 million or so by 2010. But we only have about 13,000 students compared to JMU's 19,000 or so...

TheBisonator
May 7th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Its all about building for the futur, you have to realize our football program is young. The past 5 years we have really positioned ourself for a move to FBS and also to be at the top of FCS.

We're building for the future here too (We may be able to feasibly expand the Fargodome to 25,000), but we still realize we won't be able to make it work for a while.

I'm just afraid once NDSU gets entrenched into the FCS, all the teams that make it great (JMU, Montana, UMass, App St. Delaware, etc.) will be gone to the FBS, and the FCS replaced by the Presbyterians and the Delta States and the North Carolina Centrals, and NDSU will be right back in the same position we were in in 1995...

BDKJMU
May 7th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Those numbers are just a tad old. For this year (06-07) our football budget is about $2.5 million, and our athletic budget is $9.5 million. But I understand anyway.

And $23 million for JMU's athletic budget?? DAYUM!!!!!xeekx xeekx xeekx Hell, we're expected to top off at about $12 million or so by 2010. But we only have about 13,000 students compared to JMU's 19,000 or so...

Actually JMU's official enrollment count for 06'-07' is 16,428. By 2011-2012 they're projecting about 17,400.

http://www.jmu.edu/instresrch/project.shtml

th0m
May 8th, 2007, 02:01 AM

What you should realize about our athletic budget is that we have relatively high student-fees that allow for a larger athletic budget.

rufus
May 8th, 2007, 05:57 AM
I'm just afraid once NDSU gets entrenched into the FCS, all the teams that make it great (JMU, Montana, UMass, App St. Delaware, etc.) will be gone to the FBS, and the FCS replaced by the Presbyterians and the Delta States and the North Carolina Centrals, and NDSU will be right back in the same position we were in in 1995...
I just can't see any of those schools you mention moving to FBS in the next few years. The only school seriously considering a move to FBS right now is Texas State.

NoSpinZone
May 8th, 2007, 08:37 AM
What you should realize about our athletic budget is that we have relatively high student-fees that allow for a larger athletic budget.

I just took a look. That's a nice way of putting it.

JMUfan2008
May 8th, 2007, 09:12 AM

also, we only have what...12,000 seats...so that's 1/3 for season tickets...at least 1/3 for students...and then 1/3 for per game sales...at least that's what I'm assuming...if we had a larger stadium we could sell more tickets. The worst is for homecoming and family weekend where the games sell out immediately and to get tickets some parents have to join the Duke Club just to have a chance to get a ticket. We need at least some sort of seat upgrade ASAP

th0m
May 8th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Bridgeforth has 13,559 permanent seats, and with the endzone temporary stands the number amounts to 14,513. According to the article on page 1, there are also 800 SRO tickets sold to students on game day (students having to buy tickets? this is something I haven't heard before).

BDKJMU
May 8th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Bridgeforth has 13,559 permanent seats, and with the endzone temporary stands the number amounts to 14,513. According to the article on page 1, there are also 800 SRO tickets sold to students on game day (students having to buy tickets? this is something I haven't heard before).

That would knock the crowd up to about 15,300. The UD game last yr had an attendance listed at 16,144. So I was assuming overflow means JMU can have about 16k, which is what I'm sure the UNH night game, homecoming, and parents weekend will have. Parent's (oops, "family" fu%cking PC) weekend and homecoming I bet could fill 18-20 k if there was the capacity for it. xcoffeex

th0m
May 8th, 2007, 11:20 AM
That would knock the crowd up to about 15,300. The UD game last yr had an attendance listed at 16,144. So I was assuming overflow means JMU can have about 16k, which is what I'm sure the UNH night game, homecoming, and parents weekend will have. Parent's (oops, "family" fu%cking PC) weekend and homecoming I bet could fill 18-20 k if there was the capacity for it. xcoffeex

Yes Family and Homecoming weekends could definitely fill that much.

I am interning at the JMU ticket office this summer and the deadline to renew season tickets is May 15th. Its gonna be a busy week at work. I also talked to my boss and they cut people off. They could have more season tickets but have to cut it off at a certain point because they need tickets for Homecoming and Family weekend. Just and interesting tidbit.

This is exactly the reason we need to expand, as well as not having to turn away students who have come out more and more.

BDKJMU
May 8th, 2007, 12:15 PM
That makes no sense to me, to cut off the opportunity to sell a few hundred or 1 k more season tickets for 6 games in order to have more tickets available for non season ticket holders & students for 2 games (parent's weekend & homecoming). If JMU could sell 5k, 6k, 7k season tickets, heck, 10k, 2/3 the stadium (I'm exxagerating here) they should do it. The more season tickets sold, the more $ made. Anyway, there's always some unused single game tickets that season ticket holders turn in every week that JMU can then re-sell and make even more $. Lots of season ticket holders will only make 3, 4 or 5 of 6 games. I bet majority/most don't make all 6. xcoffeex

rufus
May 8th, 2007, 01:28 PM
That makes no sense to me, to cut off the opportunity to sell a few hundred or 1 k more season tickets for 6 games in order to have more tickets available for non season ticket holders & students for 2 games (parent's weekend & homecoming).
Considering the amount that our students (or usually their parents) pay in student athletic fees, I think it's best that we reserve some seating for them. The last thing the university wants to do is rock the boat by locking out the people who pay their bills.

JMUfan2008
May 8th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Considering the amount that our students (or usually their parents) pay in student athletic fees, I think it's best that we reserve some seating for them. The last thing the university wants to do is rock the boat by locking out the people who pay their bills.

yup, we pay over $1000/year in athletics fees so we better have at least a decent chance at getting seats...

GannonFan
May 8th, 2007, 02:27 PM
yup, we pay over $1000/year in athletics fees so we better have at least a decent chance at getting seats...

You're kidding??? You guys have over $1000/year built into the tuition as athletic fees???? Yikes. That's like 10 times more than what UD students pay, and that has to be pretty high compared to anywhere - I've never heard of an athletic fee that high. xeekx

jmufootball2
May 8th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Thats why we are going to have 10x better facilities than you in the next 5+ years.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
May 8th, 2007, 04:35 PM
You're kidding??? You guys have over $1000/year built into the tuition as athletic fees???? Yikes. That's like 10 times more than what UD students pay, and that has to be pretty high compared to anywhere - I've never heard of an athletic fee that high. xeekx

It's a lose/lose situation. Luckily, in-state tuition is relatively cheap for public universities in VA. As a result, the $1000 added doesn't hurt and can be hidden fairly.

It sucks to have that high of a cost built in, but without alumni funding, nothing would get done. Since JMU is slowly building its wealthier alumni base (as the "teaching only" generations move on), one day hopefully this can be reduced. Sadly, many students know about this and I think it takes away from the incentive to give back as young alumni. But without it, would we get any higher donations? I dunno. It's a tough situation, but I think the school is generally doing a good job managing with what they have.

Henny
May 8th, 2007, 06:26 PM
JMU agreed has more sq. feet in thier weight room than DE. but that is as far as it goes. Delaware has every recruiting advantage over JMU otherwise. Delaware geographically meets the needs of families in the east Pa./ NJ region (our hot bed for recruiting) and UD consistantly sells out a 22k seat stadium. JMU has years to go before it can compete with UD on a CONSISTANT basis. We even grab recruits from Md and VA. based on tradition and sell outs. Kide love to come to DE. and see 22k in the stands every week.

The gohens network is meeting with our new president (a former Penn. Football player that was recruited by Tubby) in July. The consensus is he is fully aware of the need for upgrades to our football stadium. By that time UD will be aware of the need to upgrade, address it and continue to be well ahead of JMU in football facilities.

Pipe dream for the Dukes

UD is the Mecca of FCS football in the east. Always was and always will be. Other teams will have their moments including JMU.

rufus
May 8th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Whenever I read a post by Henny, I always wonder why he seems to have such a deep hatred of all things JMU. It's like a JMU grad ran over his dog or something. :D

jmufootball2
May 8th, 2007, 07:55 PM
JMU agreed has more sq. feet in thier weight room than DE. but that is as far as it goes. Delaware has every recruiting advantage over JMU otherwise. Delaware geographically meets the needs of families in the east Pa./ NJ region (our hot bed for recruiting) and UD consistantly sells out a 22k seat stadium. JMU has years to go before it can compete with UD on a CONSISTANT basis. We even grab recruits from Md and VA. based on tradition and sell outs. Kide love to come to DE. and see 22k in the stands every week.

The gohens network is meeting with our new president (a former Penn. Football player that was recruited by Tubby) in July. The consensus is he is fully aware of the need for upgrades to our football stadium. By that time UD will be aware of the need to upgrade, address it and continue to be well ahead of JMU in football facilities.

Pipe dream for the Dukes

UD is the Mecca of FCS football in the east. Always was and always will be. Other teams will have their moments including JMU.
anybody with common sense should know what football uprgrades you need. All UD has anymore is its old big stdium and previous tradition. I do think you guys will turn it around this year, but as you have been saying since we beat you in 04, we cant hold a candle to you. Yes you beat us in 05 but your program is not what it once was. Times change and new dynastys are born, JMU is an up and coming program in the FCS world.

I would rank the EAST FCS Schools:
1. APP
2. JMU
3. Delaware/Furman

DunkandDukin
May 8th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Whenever I read a post by Henny, I always wonder why he seems to have such a deep hatred of all things JMU. It's like a JMU grad ran over his dog or something. :D

Really? Whenever I read a post by Henny I figure it's ABH in disguise. Or maybe it's just his poor cousin carryin' on the family tradition.

Delaware is a fine program and a fine school, nothing worth attacking. That said, JMU is a fine school with a fine program, nothing worth attacking. Now if it's the Ticks or Bill and Harry...;)

FlyYtown
May 8th, 2007, 08:27 PM
anybody with common sense should know what football uprgrades you need. All UD has anymore is its old big stdium and previous tradition. I do think you guys will turn it around this year, but as you have been saying since we beat you in 04, we cant hold a candle to you. Yes you beat us in 05 but your program is not what it once was. Times change and new dynastys are born, JMU is an up and coming program in the FCS world.

1. APP
2. JMU
3. Delaware/Furman

As I was told earlier this year, YSU is East of Appy; not sure if that would change your Top 3; but I'd change it a little bit with the avg. tickets and the facilities.

LegacyDuke08
May 8th, 2007, 09:09 PM

Pipe dream for the Dukes

You do realize that JMU recruits heavily in the Hampton Roads area which is one of the top 5 regions for high school football. JMU has established itself as a powerhouse in the (now CAA). We aren't going anywhere anytime soon. I'm pretty sure the last 4 years have been a good example of the rivalry that come of the JMU-UD games. Don't get me wrong Henny, UD has a LONGSTANDING tradition and I know that but with the push JMU has made in the last 4 years we are here for good.

Henny
May 8th, 2007, 09:36 PM
By east I mean teams in the CAA, Ivy, Patrioit, etc... It dosent mean Gateway or Southern conference. They are considered teams in other regions. I certainly dont mean to include teams in those conferences.

As for JMU its time they faced the reality that they won a title in 04 and havent won a playoff game since.

Dont confuse me with ABH or someone who is bitter with JMU. Its just that there have been other schools in our conference that from time to time have elevated to great teams but, lets face it, DELAWARE is the main stay when it comes to the sport of football in our region. Yes we have had success in the past. But UD is not being surpassed by anyone. For god sakes Im glad someone else cares about football in the CAA.

JMU fans take this stance as if their football program will emerge and become the king of FCS in the CAA. You have had success in 04 and a very competitive team the past few years but like other teams. When you talk UD football we have only had eight losing seasons since the 40s. Come and start the smack talk after you have had 10 straight winning seasons.

Obviously UD isnt the best team every year. and again I dont hate JMU.

I encourage any JMU fan to try to attend the game on 11/3. You will get a better understanding of DELAWARE football.

Right now, all us in the CAA should be talking about UMASS.

mcveyrl
May 9th, 2007, 07:50 AM
It wasn't that long ago that JMU was consistently 2-9 or 3-8. That obviously changed in '04. Before I declare us a consistent power, I need to see how we do without Rascati. AND, we need to make sure Mickey's in it for the long haul...ask UD how a coaching change can halt progress (and they had YEARS of it!). Facilities are great (and anyone that says that square footage is the only difference clearly has not seen the JMU digs), but a long tradition of winning is better. But, we don't consistently recruit in the same area, so I'm not going to get into a peeing match over that.

UD's going to turn it around this year and probably make the playoffs. I've got them in my pre-season Top 25.

rufus
May 9th, 2007, 08:02 AM
It wasn't that long ago that JMU was consistently 2-9 or 3-8.
When was this? It's true that in the past 20 years we did finish 2-9 once and 3-8 once, but under Mickey Matthews we've had a total of two losing seasons. Even before Matthews, losing seasons weren't the norm. I'm not saying that we have Delaware's tradition of success, but I think it's a bit of a stretch to claim that we we consistently terrible.

89Hen
May 9th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Really? Whenever I read a post by Henny I figure it's ABH in disguise.
Shhhhhhhhh, don't you dare summon the devil. He comes here, I'm gone. xnonox

89Hen
May 9th, 2007, 08:30 AM
your program is not what it once was. Times change and new dynastys are born, JMU is an up and coming program in the FCS world.

1. APP
2. JMU
3. Delaware/Furman
xrolleyesx Oh ye of snapshot theories. xcoffeex

You are certainly improving your facilities but we will have to wait to see if that carries over to the on-field product. JMU has made the playoffs in consecutive years one time in their history (1994-95) and are 6-6 all time in the playoffs (that's all of 2 wins outside of the NC run). UMass has had the same success as JMU, maybe even slightly better given two trips to the NC in the last 9 years.

This is not to say you guys won't someday overtake UD or FU (I may put FU ahead of UD), but you need to string together year after year, decade after decade of winning tradition and keep selling out Bridgeforth for years to come. xtwocentsx

JMU2K_DukeDawg
May 9th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Right now, all us in the CAA should be talking about UMASS.

I definitely agree with this. I do not agree with the earlier JMU poster about East rankings. UMass is definitely atop the rankings. They again are the team to beat in '07. JMU and Delaware are the heavy favorites in the Southern division, although both teams have a lot to prove this year for different reasons. Can JMU be a conference power without Rascati? Can Delaware rise back to the team it used to be before injuries ruined their seasons? Still, UMass has got to be stopped and I'm not sure who is going to do it.

Same can be said about ASU in the SoCon. Same can be said about Montana in the BSC. Gateway and CAA at least seem to have enough other good teams in the conference to present a serious challenge to the preseason favorites.

Teams I'll be rooting for hard this season - Ill. St., Montana St., Furman, and UNH when they play UMass. xnodx

mcveyrl
May 9th, 2007, 09:55 AM
When was this? It's true that in the past 20 years we did finish 2-9 once and 3-8 once, but under Mickey Matthews we've had a total of two losing seasons. Even before Matthews, losing seasons weren't the norm. I'm not saying that we have Delaware's tradition of success, but I think it's a bit of a stretch to claim that we we consistently terrible.

The Alex Wood era was a complete travesty...

Ask almost anyone that played for Wood, he was not a good coach.

Ask anyone that watched a Wood game, he was not a good coach.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Duke, but we're not UD....yet.

SoCon48
May 9th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Season ticket sales are nice, but putting 25K in the stands would be better. That way you get full price for the individual tickets.

mcveyrl
May 9th, 2007, 11:02 AM
So, after looking at the media guide (yea, I'm busy today) I'll admit that "consistently" was not a good choice. It just felt like we were there with Alex Wood at the helm.

DunkandDukin
May 9th, 2007, 11:35 AM
So, after looking at the media guide (yea, I'm busy today) I'll admit that "consistently" was not a good choice. It just felt like we were there with Alex Wood at the helm.

Alex Wood was indeed a disaster, but we did still have some decent teams and did have a handful of outstanding players. Prior to Wood we had another solid era under Rip Sherer- he was a good one and it was a shame when he packed it up for the big "move up". Scherer could have been that guy that had JMU on top a decade earlier, it took a while longer before MM could come in, balance classes and start to build a program. That he has clearly done and while we do need guarded optimism with a new QB and new O system this season it's not like we are starting a bunch of freshman. Our recruiting classes continue to be strong each year and generally speaking success breeds success. The CAA will be as competitive as ever this year, but I think we'll be just fine. xtwocentsx

Longhorn
May 9th, 2007, 07:27 PM
UD's going to turn it around this year and probably make the playoffs. I've got them in my pre-season Top 25.

UD might...might have a winning season this year...if they find some lineman and a defense. But playoffs? Not a chance. Lookout for Towson this year...I wouldn't be surprised to see them leapfrog everyone in the division.

GannonFan
May 10th, 2007, 08:13 AM
UD might...might have a winning season this year...if they find some lineman and a defense. But playoffs? Not a chance. Lookout for Towson this year...I wouldn't be surprised to see them leapfrog everyone in the division.

Might have a winning season? Blimey (always wanted to say that) we were one half of football away from having a winning season last year, and that was with Omar missing more than half the year due to injury and our best defensive player (DE Marcorrelle) missing 9 games. We get 10 of 11 starters back on offense, including Cuff, plus we have a Cuff-clone in a transfer from Wisconsin, and then on defense we get Marcorrelle back plus transfer help in a DE from Notre Dame (he actually started last year for ND - he's no slouch), a LB from UConn who could start, plus a real up an comer at CB who's a Fr-r. The defense will be vastly improved. Plus we get JMU at home this year. I think a winning season is a mortal lock at this point. Playoffs, they should be likely, but something could go wrong. I agree that Towson could be very good, but they also have a habit of spitting the bit when it comes to big games. They'll have to get over that hump if they want to really be a force. But I wouldn't go making too many bets that UD won't have a winning season. xthumbsupx

JMU2K_DukeDawg
May 10th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Season ticket sales are nice, but putting 25K in the stands would be better. That way you get full price for the individual tickets.

Maybe I'm missing something. Even with a smaller stadium, season tickets are full price. Well, I guess there a slight discount on homecoming and family weekend games, but to be a season ticket holder means being a Duke Club member, which requires annual donations. So the greater the season ticket sales, the higher the donations to the Athletic Scholarship Fund, which is key for continued growth and prosperity in the football and other sports programs.

GannonFan
May 10th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Maybe I'm missing something. Even with a smaller stadium, season tickets are full price. Well, I guess there a slight discount on homecoming and family weekend games, but to be a season ticket holder means being a Duke Club member, which requires annual donations. So the greater the season ticket sales, the higher the donations to the Athletic Scholarship Fund, which is key for continued growth and prosperity in the football and other sports programs.

You guys pay to be in the Duke Club and you need to be in that to buy season tickets??? Are you sure you guys aren't already a FBS school? How much do you pay to be in the Duke Club? What else comes along with membership in that? And did I read right that you can't buy seasons unless you are in the Duke Club? Serious questions, no smack intended, I was just unaware of JMU policies.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
May 10th, 2007, 10:02 AM
OOOOOPS!!!!!!! My bad!

Ok, only for Priority or Chairback Seats (center of the field, nicer seats) are donations required. So I stand corrected, and I understand the poster's earlier point.

Here's the link for JMU ticketing in 2007:

http://www.jmusports.com/Ticketing/Football.asp

GannonFan
May 10th, 2007, 10:09 AM
OOOOOPS!!!!!!! My bad!

Ok, only for Priority or Chairback Seats (center of the field, nicer seats) are donations required. So I stand corrected, and I understand the poster's earlier point.

Here's the link for JMU ticketing in 2007:

http://www.jmusports.com/Ticketing/Football.asp

Thanks, that does clear it up. xthumbsupx

LegacyDuke08
May 10th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Here come's the ticket expert.....

There have been a lot of renewal orders pouring in lately, internet, phone, and mail alike. People are becoming interested in the opening of SECT 6 which is right next to the students but better seats than before. To get Priority seating (SECT 11-14) you have to give at least $75 to the Duke club and the seats are $100 a piece. To get the Chairbacks you have to give at least $750 and the tickets are $125 a piece. General season tickets are $65 and require no gift. However if you want parking its $150 to get in floors 2-4 of the deck, $300 for P-lot, $750 for G-lot, and $1500-5000 for Godwin Field or parking deck floors 1 and 5. The best deal in the place is the Family Plan. Its $180 for 4 tickets (2 adults, 2 youth) and you get a concessions ticket good for 4 hot dogs, 4 drinks, and popcorn at every game.

PS. I just renewed 4 chairbacks ($505) and a Duke Club Donation of $11,000. I love our alumni.

th0m
May 10th, 2007, 11:22 AM
What do you mean by the opening of section 6? Isn't that the visitors' section?

JMU2K_DukeDawg
May 10th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Thom - Visitors are being moved to the end of the stadium, one section over towards the APC. This allows younger crazed alumni fans who want to make tons of noise to do so with fellow students sitting in the sections right next to them. It also separated the visitors from the students, which was a horrible seating arrangement the last couple years.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
May 10th, 2007, 11:53 AM
I wish I had an extra few thousand lying around to have bought that bronzed replica Duke Dog statue they auctioned off last night at the Duke Club Banquet. It went for $1,200 I believe. That thing was awesome!

http://www.jmusports.com/Images/ForArticles/27_3234.jpg

JMUfan2008
May 10th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Thom - Visitors are being moved to the end of the stadium, one section over towards the APC. This allows younger crazed alumni fans who want to make tons of noise to do so with fellow students sitting in the sections right next to them. It also separated the visitors from the students, which was a horrible seating arrangement the last couple years.

This was such a great decision! The new "cheering" alumni section will provide a good buffer between visitors and students and now they won't annoy all the alumni that barely even bother to clap for a touchdown...

And I'm glad to see people are making some pretty good donations Legacy, let's hope we get some more of those...I think some architectural renderings at the Duke Club presentations might have helped, but hopefully people will believe that Athletics is making progress and will donate towards that...

DunkandDukin
May 10th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Here come's the ticket expert.....

There have been a lot of renewal orders pouring in lately, internet, phone, and mail alike. People are becoming interested in the opening of SECT 6 which is right next to the students but better seats than before. To get Priority seating (SECT 11-14) you have to give at least $75 to the Duke club and the seats are $100 a piece. To get the Chairbacks you have to give at least $750 and the tickets are $125 a piece. General season tickets are $65 and require no gift. However if you want parking its $150 to get in floors 2-4 of the deck, $300 for P-lot, $750 for G-lot, and $1500-5000 for Godwin Field or parking deck floors 1 and 5. The best deal in the place is the Family Plan. Its $180 for 4 tickets (2 adults, 2 youth) and you get a concessions ticket good for 4 hot dogs, 4 drinks, and popcorn at every game.

PS. I just renewed 4 chairbacks ($505) and a Duke Club Donation of $11,000. I love our alumni.

Legacy, i need to call in, you working now? how about a first name to ask for?

LegacyDuke08
May 10th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Legacy, i need to call in, you working now? how about a first name to ask for?

I am working now. My name is Michael and I am the only one here besides Mike Carpenter so I will most likely pick up.

EDIT: The other girl Meg is here as well but if you ask for Mike Hughes I will help you out

th0m
May 10th, 2007, 12:59 PM

Ahh. Indeed a very good decision. Win-win for both visitors and the 'crazed' alumni :)

DunkandDukin
May 10th, 2007, 02:45 PM
I am working now. My name is Michael and I am the only one here besides Mike Carpenter so I will most likely pick up.

EDIT: The other girl Meg is here as well but if you ask for Mike Hughes I will help you out

thanks, got tied up with this work crap. (very overrated) I'll give you buzz in a fwe.
thx. Dunk!