PDA

View Full Version : AGS Top 25 - How They Fared Week 4 2019

superman7515
September 22nd, 2019, 07:54 AM
Sorry for the delay everyone, there was a lot going on this week. I decided to make a switch and got hired as a career firefighter in a different state this past winter. I've spent the last 7 months in the academy and we graduated Friday night, and one of my classmates decided that the day after graduation was a great day for a wedding 3 hours away. In short, there was a lot going on this week.

If you notice any errors, please let me know. I actually fell asleep working on it during that late as hell Fresno State/Sacramento State game, so there's an above average chance that I fat-fingered something, somewhere. I'm going to get some breakfast and I'll come check back in afterwards. Massey has already updated, so I cleaned that up while I was messing with things. Just need Sagarin.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GQiorSZyvP3ey5DtztF-yxdA5A2fNocLT2sdpFhzZAs/edit?usp=sharing

Serpentor
September 22nd, 2019, 08:00 AM
Congrats on your new job!

RootinFerDukes
September 22nd, 2019, 08:01 AM
Thank you Superman. BTW, it looks like Massey has updated FBS but not FCS as of 9am EST.

McCowboys
September 22nd, 2019, 08:05 AM
Sorry for the delay everyone, there was a lot going on this week. I decided to make a switch and got hired as a career firefighter in a different state this past winter. I've spent the last 7 months in the academy and we graduated Friday night, and one of my classmates decided that the day after graduation was a great day for a wedding 3 hours away. In short, there was a lot going on this week.

If you notice any errors, please let me know. I actually fell asleep working on it during that late as hell Fresno State/Sacramento State game, so there's an above average chance that I fat-fingered something, somewhere. I'm going to get some breakfast and I'll come check back in afterwards. Massey has already updated, so I cleaned that up while I was messing with things. Just need Sagarin.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GQiorSZyvP3ey5DtztF-yxdA5A2fNocLT2sdpFhzZAs/edit?usp=sharing

Congratulations on your graduation! What is wrong with these people scheduling a wedding during football season??? THANK YOU for your "How They Fared" each week!!!

TheKingpin28
September 22nd, 2019, 08:05 AM
You are a good man indeed.

jmu007
September 22nd, 2019, 08:07 AM
Thank you Sir for putting this together every week.

dewey
September 22nd, 2019, 08:11 AM
Congratulations on the graduation!

Also thank you for doing this every week. It makes voting immensely easier.

Dewey

BEAR
September 22nd, 2019, 08:21 AM
Proud of how tough my Bears played at 2 a.m. It was within reach starting in the fourth but as usual fcs teams wear down. Too bad we failed to show up in the first. Onto Nicholls.

smilo
September 22nd, 2019, 08:26 AM
Not even a thought of pushing it to someone else?! What a good fan!

I can't make heads or tails of half the Big Sky at this point, and I may be ranking fewer teams than deserve it. Idaho looked fantastic against Wyoming, and I have to give them credit for a much bigger win this week, but struggling against CWU? I had concerns about EWU for awhile now but had no reason to put anyone in front of them just yet. Clearly a lot in front now!

Sac State finally convinced me to put them under soft consideration, and Idaho State is a little further down. A lot who suddenly have a real chance to break out now.

RootinFerDukes
September 22nd, 2019, 09:11 AM
Can someone convince me that a team deserves to move ahead of UC Davis this week? They may have lost but no one else is really claiming they should be as high as #4.

TheKingpin28
September 22nd, 2019, 10:02 AM
Can someone convince me that a team deserves to move ahead of UC Davis this week? They may have lost but no one else is really claiming they should be as high as #4.

UCD is for sure in the top 4. If that game is played in Davis, I believe Davis wins. Throwing that pick on the goalline (having 3 total hurts) crushed them. Considering Davis has a "friendly schedule" with Montana, Montana St, Weber St, CP at home and only Sac St on the road (missing ID, ISUo, and EWU helps), they should be a T4 seed if they win out. I would not want to see them come back to the Dome this year.

bwbear
September 22nd, 2019, 10:11 AM
Proud of how tough my Bears played at 2 a.m. It was within reach starting in the fourth but as usual fcs teams wear down. Too bad we failed to show up in the first. Onto Nicholls.

The freak interception on our first possession hurt. Took us a bit to adjust, but when we did, we looked pretty solid against a pretty darn good UH team.

I just hate losing to a team named "Rainbow Warriors".

Redbird 4th & short
September 22nd, 2019, 10:17 AM

No way UCD should move down for that loss. In fact, you could argue they should inch up if anything. EWU on other hand should fall a lot. And MVFC vs Big Sky challenge was a good week for MVFC ... 5-0 I think, though couple close games.

kdinva
September 22nd, 2019, 11:26 AM
Congrats on your new job, we all appreciate First Responders....and thanks for the spreadsheets.

BEAR
September 22nd, 2019, 11:28 AM
The freak interception on our first possession hurt. Took us a bit to adjust, but when we did, we looked pretty solid against a pretty darn good UH team.

I just hate losing to a team named "Rainbow Warriors".

Yeah after that horrible start we held Hawaii scoreless from 8 minutes in the second quarter all the way to 3 minutes left in the fourth. A couple of times we got into the red zone and gave it up. Very frustrating. Hawaii may have won anyway but it really should have been much closer.

We held them scoreless for nearly 3 quarters.

RabidRabbit
September 22nd, 2019, 01:18 PM
Congrats on your new job, we all appreciate First Responders....and thanks for the spreadsheets.
Agree! Supe - You do a super job, and congrates on the job shift.

UC-Davis played well vs. NDSU. That 4th quarter interception for what would have been the go-ahead touchdown was daggers to the upset.
Other teams to celebrate - Nova - Now with two top 25 AGS wins. Kennesaw St continues march.
Teams to question - EWU, Austin Peay. Is In St or SIU capable of a winning record vs the MVFC?

Preferred Walk-On
September 22nd, 2019, 01:41 PM
First, congratulations Supe on the graduation and new gig. Best of luck. Second, thank you for putting this go-to spreadsheet together every week.

Third, if you are ranking Eastern Washington this week, does this require you to rank Idaho as well? It is early, and their bodies of work are not too dissimilar (both destroyed by Top 25 FBS, both fairly unimpressive wins over D2, and each with a close loss - one to a ranked FCS team, and the other to a G5 FBS team). Will be curious to see where EWU falls to and if Idaho gets significant consideration.

Fourth, probably should keep an eye on Abilene Christian and Houston Baptist, who thus far have been more impressive than Nicholls State.

Finally, Incarnate Word...done.

Catbooster
September 22nd, 2019, 02:08 PM
Just a couple quick points for those who don't follow the 'Cats closely. You decide whether any of this is significant. On the scoreboard, it looks like a typical game where the ranked team took care of business and convincingly beat a weaker opponent - and it is.

But Ifanse and Troy Andersen didn't suit up for this game. They've both had some dings and the coaches wanted to let them rest before conference starts. We had 3 back-up RB's with over 100 yards in this game.

We changed QB's for this game. Our RS Freshman wasn't hitting any of the short/intermediate passes, <50% completion, etc. Rovig (RS Soph who started a couple games last year) started this week and went 21-27, 221 yards, 4 TD's, 0 Int. Hopefully, we're getting that position figured out, but it was against a weaker opponent so it remains to be seen.

Schism55
September 22nd, 2019, 09:08 PM
Thanks for your hard work on this Supe, much appreciated!

MR. CHICKEN
September 22nd, 2019, 11:12 PM
Just a couple quick points for those who don't follow the 'Cats closely. You decide whether any of this is significant. On the scoreboard, it looks like a typical game where the ranked team took care of business and convincingly beat a weaker opponent - and it is.

But Ifanse and Troy Andersen didn't suit up for this game. They've both had some dings and the coaches wanted to let them rest before conference starts. We had 3 back-up RB's with over 100 yards in this game.

We changed QB's for this game. Our RS Freshman wasn't hitting any of the short/intermediate passes, <50% completion, etc. Rovig (RS Soph who started a couple games last year) started this week and went 21-27, 221 yards, 4 TD's, 0 Int. Hopefully, we're getting that position figured out, but it was against a weaker opponent so it remains to be seen.

.....DON'T BEG.........BOBCAT..........VIRGINIA BAKED HAM........VMI....WOODAH SHUT 'EM...OUT...........BRAWK!

thebootfitter
September 22nd, 2019, 11:34 PM
... Idaho looked fantastic against Wyoming, and I have to give them credit for a much bigger win this week, but struggling against CWU?
CWU is no slouch of a D-II team. I don't think they are ranked, but they played #2 Ferris State pretty tough for a few quarters. They'd beat a good number of lowly FCS teams, and they were fired up for that Idaho game -- fully believing they could take home the win.

That being said... I wouldn't be very impressed with Idaho based on that game either.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 23rd, 2019, 09:13 AM
About an hour and 45 minutes left so get your vote in people.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 23rd, 2019, 09:14 AM
CWU is no slouch of a D-II team. I don't think they are ranked, but they played #2 Ferris State pretty tough for a few quarters. They'd beat a good number of lowly FCS teams, and they were fired up for that Idaho game -- fully believing they could take home the win.

That being said... I wouldn't be very impressed with Idaho based on that game either.

Back in week 1 or whenever this one was played I mentioned this too. One of the years we went to the chipper we beat them by 3 in the early going. They are no joke when they play up for sure.

F'N Hawks
September 23rd, 2019, 10:31 AM
The way poll voters see things is inherently biased, I think we all understand that. I love the polls cause it keeps me interested in who is where in the FCS landscape and who is trending which way. With that said - the SHSU beat writer Josh Criswell just voted Sam Houston State #21 and UND #24.

In what universe would that appear to make sense in Week 4 of the 2019 season? Stuff like that is great for talkers I guess but makes me shake my head at the same time. UND beat them with a true freshman QB who has never played a snap before and held them to 118 yards passing.

Some rationale should be involved, at least early in the season, when "who beat who" is all we have to go off of.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 23rd, 2019, 10:36 AM
Less than a 1/2 hr. to go so get the votes in. We are down a frew voters this week compared to last so get on it!

caribbeanhen
September 23rd, 2019, 10:40 AM
New job

New state

part of heart will always be on Dewey Ave!

nodak651
September 23rd, 2019, 10:51 AM
The way poll voters see things is inherently biased, I think we all understand that. I love the polls cause it keeps me interested in who is where in the FCS landscape and who is trending which way. With that said - the SHSU beat writer Josh Criswell just voted Sam Houston State #21 and UND #24.

In what universe would that appear to make sense in Week 4 of the 2019 season? Stuff like that is great for talkers I guess but makes me shake my head at the same time. UND beat them with a true freshman QB who has never played a snap before and held them to 118 yards passing.

Some rationale should be involved, at least early in the season, when "who beat who" is all we have to go off of.

I agree, but I thought that JMU guy was the only STATS voter with any bias? Kidding. UND as of now has a fringe top 25 resume, IMO. I think we need to play one more competitive FCS team to truley know where we stand. Same for SHSU. That said, UND's defense looks legit, and UND looks to have a top ten defense with great stats, even with NDSU away and SHSU account for two thirds of the games played.

UND is 12th in total defense with 279 ypg allowed.
tied for 3rd in team sacks with 4 per game
first in passing yards allowed per attempt at 4.72
first in passing yards allowed per game at 111.7
about average - 63rd - in yards allowed per rush at 3.59

This is after playing SHSU who is 6th in total offense with 505 ypg and NDSU who is 14th in total offense at 469.3 ypg
UND did also play Drake who is second to last in total offense at 219 ypg

UND is also #17 overall in Massey ratings.

The EWU game looks to be a lose/lose game after their Idaho loss.

coriander_seed
September 27th, 2019, 08:26 AM
NAIA does not have divisions in football.