PDA

View Full Version : AAMU's Coach Says "We Will Never Play UNA Again."

SU DOG
September 18th, 2019, 08:53 AM
In his press conference, Coach Maynor was asked a question about playing Samford. He mistakenly thought it was about North Alabama, and went into a rant as seen in this 2 minute video. He says that Alabama A&M will never play UNA again as long as he is the coach. I have no details as to what his concerns were, but he sure seems agitated. Maybe somebody on here can help with info. BTW, his AAMU team won the game in Florence, and looked pretty good to me. They play at Samford this week.

https://www.waff.com/video/2019/09/17/alabama-am-head-coach-connell-maynor-says-team-will-not-play-una-again/

Milktruck74
September 18th, 2019, 09:10 AM
Wow. That says quite a bit for him to even say anything beyond, “no comment”. I think he does handle it carefully, but still just mentioning it means it was probably a lot tougher than just a few outlier fans saying stupid things. It’s just sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mocs123
September 18th, 2019, 09:16 AM
UNA was a good DII program, and seem to be competing at a fair level already at the FCS level.

Laker
September 18th, 2019, 09:34 AM
Does anyone know what prompted this?

IBleedYellow
September 18th, 2019, 10:10 AM
CONTEXT.

WE. NEED. MORE CONTEXT.

JSUSoutherner
September 18th, 2019, 10:19 AM
If anyone wants more context read this thread on GJS.

http://gojaxstate.boards.net/thread/4788/alabama-coach-won-play-again

This isn't the first time AAMU has pulled something like this.

Quote from Lion1983

I'm going to try to answer as much as possible, at least what I know for sure. Have patience with me, I may accidentally leave something out or be redundant.

When the two games were scheduled, UNA wanted a long term contract, A&M only 2 years. This was year 2, if that tells us anything...

The police officer in question, like a lot of police officers, always keeps his hand covering his weapon when in close proximity of other peaple. It's a safety issue, but the coach in the issue, forgot his credentials to get in the press box, and when he was told to get them, he lashed out at the police officer. It did not escalate past words saying you have to have the credentials to enter.

Their coach is mad about only having 2 hrs before the game to use the football field... that's not just for A&M, but all visiting teams. But all of the sudden it's a race thing.

They said we did not allot enough tickets for their fans, but they didnt even sell what was allotted...

They also said that they treated UNA like royalty last year at their place, I was there, they forced us, over 7k UNA fans, into 1 line to enter, one at a time, so they could wand us for weapons and other "contraband". Almost half of us missed the first quarter. And they only had one concession area going with very limited options to eat and drink. Royalty my ass...

Before the game this year, during warmups, their team and coaches stood in the middle of the field chanting "F*@# UNA".

Dont care if we ever play those assholes again...

Read more: http://gojaxstate.boards.net/thread/4788/alabama-coach-won-play-again#ixzz5ztFMGxps

They've done similar to us in the past so we don't play them anymore.

IBleedYellow
September 18th, 2019, 10:26 AM

Quote from Lion1983

Sounds like we don't need to ever travel down South to play them. Bad news all around.

Professor Chaos
September 18th, 2019, 10:39 AM

Quote from Lion1983

Was just watching the new season of Last Chance U and seems like the coach at least would fit right into what they do in JUCO hot shot ball.

Milktruck74
September 18th, 2019, 10:42 AM
Two sides to every story. I guess. No winners on any side of this. None of this is FOOTBALL. I hate it if it happened like he said, but if it didn’t, it’s just as bad!!!!

kdinva
September 18th, 2019, 11:27 AM
Virginia Univ @ Lynchburg will travel....

SU DOG
September 18th, 2019, 11:47 AM
Thanks for posting the needed info JSU Southerner. I sure hope this is a short term deal with Samford if that school acts like this. As for their team, I was somewhat surprised and impressed with the way they came back to beat the Lions. Hope we can handle them Saturday.

JSUSoutherner
September 18th, 2019, 11:50 AM
Thanks for posting the needed info JSU Southerner. I sure hope this is a short term deal with Samford if that school acts like this. As for their team, I was somewhat surprised and impressed with the way they came back to beat the Lions. Hope we can handle them Saturday.

We're 22-2 against them.

I think them beating UNA was a fluke.

Please don't lose.

ASU33
September 18th, 2019, 12:02 PM
Hopefullu cooler heads will prevail and the two schools can come to some sort of agreement. They're too close and have kids from the same area to not play each other.

- - - Updated - - -

We're 22-2 against them.

I think them beating UNA was a fluke.

Please don't lose.

Them beating UNA was no fluke, quite honestly they should've beaten UNA last year also.

JSUSoutherner
September 18th, 2019, 12:13 PM
Hopefullu cooler heads will prevail and the two schools can come to some sort of agreement. They're too close and have kids from the same area to not play each other.

- - - Updated - - -

Them beating UNA was no fluke, quite honestly they should've beaten UNA last year also.

22-4 against A&M.

Fluke.

Also we're not much further from Huntsville than Florence is and we manage just fine without them.

UNA, UTC, JSU, and Kennesaw are all going to be seeing a lot of each other.

ASU33
September 18th, 2019, 01:07 PM
I personally feel that all of the in-state FCS schools should play regularly. I think that would be good for each program.

JSUSoutherner
September 18th, 2019, 01:10 PM
I personally feel that all of the in-state FCS schools should play regularly. I think that would be good for each program.

Well Samford hates us for some reason. We rebooted the rivalry series with UNA.

What do we have to gain from playing anyone else? I'm not trying to be a jerk when I say this, but Bama State hasn't exactly played good football as of late.

Heck if anyone needs a lecture on playing in-state schools here it's Alabama.

ASU33
September 18th, 2019, 01:26 PM
Well Samford hates us for some reason. We rebooted the rivalry series with UNA.

What do we have to gain from playing anyone else? I'm not trying to be a jerk when I say this, but Bama State hasn't exactly played good football as of late.

Heck if anyone needs a lecture on playing in-state schools here it's Alabama.

We weren't exactly playing good ball in 2008 when we beat you or in 2013 when you skated out of Hornet Stadium with a 2-point win. Fact of the matter I personally would like to see more in-state matchups. I think we have both Samford and UNA rolling on the schedule soon.

JSUSoutherner
September 18th, 2019, 01:30 PM
We weren't exactly playing good ball in 2008 when we beat you or in 2013 when you skated out of Hornet Stadium with a 2-point win. Fact of the matter I personally would like to see more in-state matchups. I think we have both Samford and UNA rolling on the schedule soon.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190918/7fecd8e57700b8b13963c1996ba3d0ef.gif

We weren't exactly hot stuff either in 08. Nor were we at the front half of 2013. We lost to Murray after playing you guys IIRC.

Sent from my Galaxy S9+ using Tapatalk

Tuna85
September 18th, 2019, 03:28 PM
I agree with ASU33. I would like to see all FCS teams in the state play each other.
Was at the game and was not aware of any problems until I read about the A&M coaches comments the next day. I was hoping to read about what he told his team at halftime to get them fired up enough to overcome an 18 point deficit. They sure were a different team after the half. Anyway, I sat on the home side (season ticket holder) by two elderly ladies in Maroon and White (well maybe I was the elderly one). I think they had a good time and everyone was there to have a good time and watch some football. I shared my program with them and the one to the right of me caught one of the free Subway sandwiches thrown to the crowd. The A&M band really showed out and got a standing "O" from both sides of the stadium. Really like how their band works to support their team with not only music from the stands but cheers. It's almost as if they are part of the football team...impressive.
My thought is somewhere along the way there was a misunderstanding and I hope this all gets resolved by cooler heads of the two schools admins. Hate to see stuff get adjudicated by social media where most everyone knows everything by knowing nothing.
My hope is everyone chooses to not pick up their toys and go home but work together to make this a healthy rivalry. Thoughts of an old feller who thinks we all have the capacity to overcome and play together.

Professor
September 18th, 2019, 03:43 PM
Maynor at A&M is a firey guy and don't take no S&%$ from no one. Something happened with his coaches and security and he isn't happy about it. Can cancel this series for awhile.

But i also like in state FCS games. ( i'm in NC )

unknown3
September 18th, 2019, 06:31 PM
Pretty sure what he's talking about has nothing to do with anything that's been posted in this thread.

ASU33
September 18th, 2019, 06:52 PM

Quote from Lion1983

90% of this is BS. And this is coming from someone who has no love for A&M

Panther88
September 18th, 2019, 07:30 PM
Not sure what occurred w/ AAMU and UNA but hopefully the truth prevails.

For us @ PV, we have SLC'ers McNeese St, Lamar, SFA, SHSU, HBU, ACU, and IWU all < ~ 5HR drive from PV's front door. Surely some type of home-and-home agreements should be evident... It makes sense and it makes cents (budget).

JSUSoutherner
September 18th, 2019, 07:43 PM

Do tell.

dgtw
September 18th, 2019, 08:26 PM
Alabama doesn’t play anyone in state other than Auburn, so they aren’t just boycotting someone in particular out of spite.

Samford won’t play Jax State for some reason related to Jack Crowe. I wouldn’t mind playing them because it is a short drive but Chattanooga and Kennesaw are close as well.

I would be fine with a home/home with the HBCUs. But there seems to be bad blood in the past with A&M. We played State in the first game in their new stadium but that seems to be a one off deal.

We start a four year deal with UNA Saturday. It is nice to revive an old rivalry but I don’t want it to be every year forever.

ASU33
September 18th, 2019, 09:15 PM

Nobody from A&M chanted F UNA at any point during pregame last year that's false. A&M does a chant that they've done for YEARS near the 50 yard line like they do for EVERY game and the the chant doesn't contain F*** in it anywhere!

On the gate situation I agree. A&M can do a better job there. It takes you forever to get into the game regardless of home side or visitors.

WestCoastAggie
September 19th, 2019, 06:25 AM
Was just watching the new season of Last Chance U and seems like the coach at least would fit right into what they do in JUCO hot shot ball.

That's Connell Maynor for you, who was also one of the best A&T Quarterbacks in the early 1990s. Coach Maynor definitely has a temper on the sideline.

Cocky
September 19th, 2019, 07:39 AM
Ive had to wait my turn to ride an elevator should I quit going to games? Never saw a sign stating Coaches ride first? Is it the same asst coach involved in most the situations? UNA wasnt allowed on the field until two hours before the game, should their coach refuse to play at home? Comp tickets? needs to talk to his AD. UNA didnt get comp tickets last year from A&M. Appears the police confrontation was a security guard who normally do not have weapons. Coach should make sure his credentials are visible.

Sounds like a rivalry game against two schools 70-80 miles apart and a few people are snowflakes.

ASU33
September 19th, 2019, 08:10 AM
Ive had to wait my turn to ride an elevator should I quit going to games? Never saw a sign stating Coaches ride first? Is it the same asst coach involved in most the situations? UNA wasnt allowed on the field until two hours before the game, should their coach refuse to play at home? Comp tickets? needs to talk to his AD. UNA didnt get comp tickets last year from A&M. Appears the police confrontation was a security guard who normally do not have weapons. Coach should make sure his credentials are visible.

Sounds like a rivalry game against two schools 70-80 miles apart and a few people are snowflakes.

Maynor never said anything about comp tickets that was reported by the media which is why EVERYTHING is funneled through the president and AD now. What Maynor was upset about was that there were injured players who were not dresses out who were told that that needed to purchase a ticket. Obviously something happened at UNA that got a lot of A&M folks a little upset. I had heard about all of this via social media Saturday night prior to Maynor saying anything on Monday.

PAllen
September 19th, 2019, 09:15 AM
Maynor never said anything about comp tickets that was reported by the media which is why EVERYTHING is funneled through the president and AD now. What Maynor was upset about was that there were injured players who were not dresses out who were told that that needed to purchase a ticket. Obviously something happened at UNA that got a lot of A&M folks a little upset. I had heard about all of this via social media Saturday night prior to Maynor saying anything on Monday.

Don't injured players usually wear their jerseys and walk into the locker room with the rest of the team?

Cocky
September 19th, 2019, 09:20 AM

https://www.al.com/sports/2019/09/alabama-am-una-pledge-to-work-together.html

Guess this fake news? Would not be the first fake news.

Milktruck74
September 19th, 2019, 10:04 AM

I’ve been in the press box probably 50-60 times over the years. Mostly SEC stadiums. As a general rule, the elevator is held for the coaches at about one minute left in the half and visiting team coaches ride first. This is a courtesy, I’m sure there is no written rule on it, but I’ve never seen it not handled that way. I could see where this would be a little upsetting to the head coach. As far as not displaying credentials, that could’ve probably been handled a little better too if it was a group of coaches, and a single one forgot his credential, they should’ve said hey he’s with us, and the security guard should have just let him pass. Now, did the coach have an attitude? Did the security guard have an attitude? I don’t know, I wasn’t there. But I’m sure there are two very different accounts. As for the players not given comp tickets, if they arrived on the bus with the rest of the team, and walked onto the field at the same time, this would not be an issue. I don’t know how it was handled, but it sounds like it could have been handled better. No winners in the entire situation.

ASU33
September 19th, 2019, 10:28 AM
https://www.al.com/sports/2019/09/alabama-am-una-pledge-to-work-together.html

Guess this fake news? Would not be the first fake news.

The news simply grabbed the same information an A&M alum put out there. Coach Maynor never said exactly what he was upset about. We covered the press conference. There's a reason why everything is now funneled up to the school's President now.

lionsrking2
September 19th, 2019, 10:48 AM
Ive had to wait my turn to ride an elevator should I quit going to games? Never saw a sign stating Coaches ride first?

Holding the elevator for coaches at halftime and post game is standard procedure in every press box I've been in. Not sure I've ever not seen a sign.

blackbeard
September 19th, 2019, 10:56 AM
https://www.hbcusports.com/forums/threads/alabama-a-m-vs-north-alabama-game-updates-6-00pm-ct.137927/page-4

Pretty interest reading. Media member posting that the AAMU sports Information dept pleaded with the media, asking them not to post any of the comments of the AAMU coach. Makes it pretty evident where the fault lies.

Also this reporting by a local TV station: https://www.waaytv.com/content/news/Alabama-AM-coach-says-team-wont-play-UNA-due-to-treatment-of-staff-players-at-game--560629841.html

Professor
September 19th, 2019, 11:13 AM
https://www.hbcusports.com/forums/threads/alabama-a-m-vs-north-alabama-game-updates-6-00pm-ct.137927/page-4

Pretty interest reading. Media member posting that the AAMU sports Information dept pleaded with the media, asking them not to post any of the comments of the AAMU coach. Makes it pretty evident where the fault lies.

Also this reporting by a local TV station: https://www.waaytv.com/content/news/Alabama-AM-coach-says-team-wont-play-UNA-due-to-treatment-of-staff-players-at-game--560629841.html

Again ya'll don't know Maynor. He's not going to hold his tongue for anyone. And if that's how he feels than so be it. I bet you 20 bucks they won't be playing football lol

SU DOG
September 19th, 2019, 01:25 PM
Such an unfortunate thing. Athletic competition actually should be a very effective means to bring folks together, not tear relationships apart. I think that someone else would have started this thread, otherwise I would have strong regrets for doing so. Hopefully now, attention will be on the upcoming football game of Samford vs AAMU. This will be the first game ever between the two schools, and I hope for a good crowd, great atmosphere, and no drama off the field. A Samford win of course is my other hope.

Milktruck74
September 19th, 2019, 01:47 PM
Such an unfortunate thing. Athletic competition actually should be a very effective means to bring folks together, not tear relationships apart. I think that someone else would have started this thread, otherwise I would have strong regrets for doing so. Hopefully now, attention will be on the upcoming football game of Samford vs AAMU. This will be the first game ever between the two schools, and I hope for a good crowd, great atmosphere, and no drama off the field. A Samford win of course is my other hope.

It pains me to say, but Samford has always been a classy program. The alleged incidents that have been referred to at UNA would never happen at Samford. I don’t know what happened there, or even if anything happened there. I don’t know who is telling the more Accurate account of what happened. I do know if similar acquisitions are levied against SU, given past experiences, the person doing the accusations is full of crap.

Lion1983
September 19th, 2019, 08:01 PM
Nobody from A&M chanted F UNA at any point during pregame last year that's false. A&M does a chant that they've done for YEARS near the 50 yard line like they do for EVERY game and the the chant doesn't contain F*** in it anywhere!

On the gate situation I agree. A&M can do a better job there. It takes you forever to get into the game regardless of home side or visitors.
I didnt say last year, I was talking about this year... and yes they did do that this year. Even a couple that were fans of A&M were in disbelief. But hey, call me a liar if you want.