PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 9-16

JALMOND
September 16th, 2019, 08:31 PM
Week 3 is in the books and still many Big Sky teams are trying to figure out what exactly they have. Some are looking great, some not so well, and most are unsure. One more week for most before we can see some conference play and possibly some separation. Cal Poly and Weber State are sitting this week out but the other 11 are in action. Here are this week's Big Sky power rankings (last week in parenthesis). All are my opinion. Here we go.

1. UC-Davis (2)---Last week, beat Lehigh (Patriot) at home 41-13, this week at North Dakota State (Mo Valley)---The Aggies took care of business at home last week, taking down a strong team from the Patriot League. They now get the team everyone in the nation is gunning for. Should be a good battle.

2. Eastern Washington (1)---Last week, lost at Jacksonville State (Ohio Valley) 49-45, this week at Idaho---The Eagles had things pretty much in hand heading in to the fourth quarter but their maligned defense let them down. Their defense needs some confidence as this week's game is no pushover.

3. Weber State (3)---Last week, lost at Nevada (FBS Mtn West) 19-13, this week bye---The Wildcats went toe to toe, playing the Mountain West for a second time, and like the first, they had a chance to win the game but came up short. They will take this week off to recover.

4. Montana (4)---Last week, lost at Oregon (FBS Pac-12) 35-3, this week Monmouth (Big South) at home---The Grizzlies put up a game effort against one of the top programs in the country but soon was apparent that they were not going to pull the upset. They get a top contender from the Big South this week.

5. Montana State (5)---Last week, won at Western Illinois (Mo Valley) 23-14, this week Norfolk State (MEAC) at home---The Bobcats got a big win in the heart of Missouri Valley country last week. They now come back and face an unusual foe from the MEAC conference.

6. Northern Arizona (6)---Last week, beat Western New Mexico (DII) at home 55-21, this week at Illinois State (Mo Valley)---The Lumberjacks took care of business in beating up a DII team. Their reward now is going into the Missouri Valley and trying to get a win.

7. Sacramento State (9)---Last week, beat Northern Colorado at home 50-0, this week at Fresno State (FBS Mtn West)---The Hornets are quietly fielding a good team all around and are moving up the standings. Interesting game this week as they head down I-5 to one of the big boys.

8. Idaho State (7)---Last week, lost at Utah (FBS Pac-12) 31-0, this week at Northern Iowa (Mo Valley)---As soon as the Bengals can figure out a quarterback they will be fine. But finding that quarterback has been a bit difficult, and going on the road into hostile country may not help.

9. Portland State (8)---Last week, lost at Boise State (FBS Mtn West) 45-10, this week Eastern Oregon (NAIA) at home---Any hope for the Vikings to spring an upset were dashed when Boise State returned their first kickoff for a touchdown. Hopefully, easier times this week.

10. Idaho (11)---Last week, lost at Wyoming (FBS Mtn West) 21-16, this week Eastern Washington at home---The Vandals looked lost in their first game, still looked a little lost in their second game, but almost got the win in their third game. Things looking up? They get a powerhouse this week.

11. Cal Poly (10)---Last week lost at Oregon State (FBS Pac-12) 45-7, this week bye---The Mustangs thought they had a shot against one of the weaker Pac-12 teams out there. But that Pac-12 team came in with something to prove and the Mustangs were quickly put away. They take this week off.

12. Southern Utah (13)---Last week, beat Stephen F Austin (Southland) in OT 45-38, this week at South Dakota State (Mo Valley)---The Thunderbirds broke through last week and got a good hard fought win. They needed it as they now head into one of the nation's heavy hitters.

13. Northern Colorado (12)---Last week, lost at Sacramento State 50-0, this week South Dakota (Mo Valley) at home---The Bears looked very inept everywhere last week losing to another Big Sky team. They welcome another good team that is searching for their first win.

RECAP: 1-5 out front, 6 on an island, 7-11 just behind, 12-13 bringing up the rear.

bobcathpdevil56
September 17th, 2019, 01:56 PM
I like how you redid the tiers this week J. I think that is more accurate then the week before.

wapiti
September 17th, 2019, 02:06 PM
Here is my take on it. I agree with your top 9.
I am attempting to keep a 3 tier system. Top, Middle and bottom. The number of teams in each tier could change from week to week.

Tier 1:

1. UC-Davis

2. Eastern Washington

3. Weber State

4. Montana

5. Montana State

Tier 2:

6. Northern Arizona

7. Sacramento State

8. Idaho State

9. Portland State

Tier 3

10. Southern Utah won this past weekend so that puts SUU at the top of Tier 3

11. Cal Poly

12. Idaho

13. Northern Colorado

nevadagriz
September 18th, 2019, 12:24 PM
1. ucd not as impressed this year but they have taken care of business
2. weber st will be number one next week
3. ewu let one slip away. can defense improve??
4. msu i would have them at two if they had a qb. like their defense and running game. watched parts of two game and saw at least six passes thrown at receivers feet.
5. um too early to tell
6. sac st can they keep up the good play?

dbackjon
September 18th, 2019, 01:09 PM
Here is my take on it. I agree with your top 9.
I am attempting to keep a 3 tier system. Top, Middle and bottom. The number of teams in each tier could change from week to week.

Tier 1:

1. UC-Davis

2. Eastern Washington

3. Weber State

4. Montana

5. Montana State

Tier 2:

6. Northern Arizona

7. Sacramento State

8. Idaho State

9. Portland State

Tier 3

10. Southern Utah won this past weekend so that puts SUU at the top of Tier 3

11. Cal Poly

12. Idaho

13. Northern Colorado

What are you basing your tiers on? Because season to date results show it a little different

UC-D, EWU, UO, MSU, and NAU all lost handily to a P5 team. Sac State played better against a now ranked ASU.
UC-D, Montana, MSU, NAU and Sac State are all 2-1, with only losses to FBS teams, but MSU probably has the best win (although early to make that judgement)

Not seeing any real way to separate top 5 from the next two.

After this weekend there might be the data, but as of now, Sac State and to a degree NAU has shown as much or more than the ones you have listed.

WSU and SSU might have the best overall body of work to date.

wapiti
September 18th, 2019, 03:20 PM
What are you basing your tiers on? Because season to date results show it a little different

UC-D, EWU, UO, MSU, and NAU all lost handily to a P5 team. Sac State played better against a now ranked ASU.
UC-D, Montana, MSU, NAU and Sac State are all 2-1, with only losses to FBS teams, but MSU probably has the best win (although early to make that judgement)

Not seeing any real way to separate top 5 from the next two.

After this weekend there might be the data, but as of now, Sac State and to a degree NAU has shown as much or more than the ones you have listed.

WSU and SSU might have the best overall body of work to date.

How a team ended last season does have an affect of which tier I put them in. As the season progress last season has a less of an affect.
Example: I had Sac state in Tier 3 to start the season and they are now in Tier 2 and on the verge of moving into Tier 1.
Sac State has been impressive this season thus far. NAU has played well too and is on the verge of Tier 1. If EWU loses this weekend they may drop to Tier 2.

Hopefully as the season progress it become easier as to where to put each team, but like last year PSU beat UM in Missoula and games like that muddy it up. Hopefully PSU will beat UM again this year.