PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Week 4 Power Rankings/Pick 'Em.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 15th, 2019, 09:36 AM
I was 4-3 this past week. The Citadel surprised yesterday as well as VMI. Mercer not so much. Without further ado, here's is where everybody is at this point.

1) VMI - What can I say, they deserve to be in this spot.
2) The Citadel - This is what happens when you beat an ACC team
3) Furman - STILL gave a valiant effort
4) East Tennessee State - was unable to seal the deal
5) Mercer - got pistol whipped at home
6) Chattanooga - laid an egg against Big Brother
7) Samford - came away with a close win on the road
8) Western Carolina - damn near screwed up last night
9) Wofford - oh how the mighty have fallen

Week 4 Games
Mercer @ Furman - Paladins win convincingly in the Lamb Bowl
Robert Morris @ VMI - Keydets defend this house
James Madison @ Chattanooga - Dukes derail the Mocs
Charleston Southern @ The Citadel - Bulldogs win the Battle of Charleston
Gardner-Webb @ Wofford - Bulldogs find a way to win
Alabama A&M @ Samford - Samford loses this Battle of the Bulldogs
Austin Peay @ ETSU - Please let there not be any lightning delays, this will be a close one

ElCid
September 15th, 2019, 09:53 AM
Predictions

- Mercer at Furman (Game of the Week) – Mercer is 2-3 against Furman since returning; neither team has won by more than 7 in that time; both teams are smarting after frustrating losses, but Furman will be loaded for Bear (get it?), and Mercer D is not up to the task – 38-24
- Robert Morris at VMI – VMI is on a roll, it has to begin somewhere; Keydets continue their winning ways at home – 41-26
- JMU at Chattanooga – Oh my; this would be a great win for the Mocs obviously, but I just don't think they have it in them; their O is wanting big time - 34-10
- Gardner-Webb at Wofford – G-W has given Wofford fits occasionally over the last few years; I think the Terriers have to come out of their funk at some point though; will the real Wofford Offense please stand up – 38-13
- Charleston Southern at The Citadel – Dogs are riding high after getting their ACC scalp; CSU did well against NC A&T before losing late this past week; a perfect trap game for the Dogs if they are not ready; The Citadel crushed them last year allowing them only 75 total yards all game; but CSU was demoralized and it was a post thanksgiving game that was meaningless; CSU is probably better this year, but still not up to the task - 31-17
- Austin Peay at ETSU – Can the Bucs bounce back? The Peay is for real; I was not jumping on the ETSU bandwagon this year; I knew they would have issues in graduating their “1st class”; Bucs slide again – 37-21
- Alabama A&M at Samford – Samford has the talent and is way better than most folks think; they will open a can of whoopass after their confidence boost – 49-24

It was a week of the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

Week 3 Power Ranking

1. The Citadel – (the Good) Dogs move up for the ACC scalp, and, the close Towson loss looks even better now, not to mention the close Elon loss
2. Furman – (the Good) looked real good even in loss to Va Tech
3. Samford – (the Good) Moves up a lot because it looks like they might be back on track, unless Wofford is that bad????
4. Chattanooga – (the Bad) Not very impressive, but it was UT, and they were out for blood
5. Mercer – (the Ugly...2 pick 6s...really?) Yeek, got Peayed on…at home
6. Wofford – (the Bad) Will they be back? Probably, but it will be painful
7. VMI – (the Good) Great victory!
8. ETSU – (the Bad) Ouch
9. WCU – (the Ugly...Div II drama) They look real bad without their stud QB

SU DOG
September 15th, 2019, 10:00 AM
Black & Gold, no predictions are wrong until the games are played, BUT are you serious? That power ranking is also indicative of your lack of coffee this morning - tongue-in-cheek I know.:D Other than Furman and The Citadel, I have no idea where the SoCon teams stand at this point. Maybe I will post something later on.

chattownmocs
September 15th, 2019, 10:10 AM
You can tell Tom Arth made this schedule when he still thought he was a good coach. He's just not. I wonder if the folks up at Akron are going to figure it out faster than he and I did.

FUGameBreaker
September 15th, 2019, 11:31 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3pO_fIHhHc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3IJV_h6EFU

FUGameBreaker
September 15th, 2019, 12:48 PM
Excellent win Citadel! That game in Paladin Stadium later this season could shape up to be a good one!

Fun Fact: (Pretty sure this is correct)

Last FCS team to beat USC and GA Tech before the Citadel was........ Furman

ElCid
September 15th, 2019, 01:01 PM
Excellent win Citadel! That game in Paladin Stadium could shape up to be a good one!

Fun Fact: (Pretty sure this is correct)

Last FCS team to beat USC and GA Tech before the Citadel was........ Furman

Clever.

Funner fact: (I know it is correct)

Last FCS team to beat GA Tech, USC (Twice), and Arkansas was......just us.xthumbsupx

I actually forgot you guys beat the Cocks back in the 80s as well.

FUGameBreaker
September 15th, 2019, 01:41 PM
Clever.

Last FCS team to beat GA Tech, USC (Twice), and Arkansas was......just us.xthumbsupx

xthumbsupxxbowxxthumbsupx

ElCid, please win your next 4 games and yall bring a top 25 ranking and the cadets up Oct. 19
We will try to win our next 3 games and bring a top 15 ranking into Oct. 19, where it will be homecoming in Greenville
Fingers crossed for great weather and a packed stadium, let's do this rivalry proper justice again xnodx

Ok, now back to the present and the regularly scheduled Sept. 21 prognostications xthumbsupx

ElCid
September 15th, 2019, 01:47 PM
xthumbsupxxbowxxthumbsupx

ElCid, please win your next 4 games and yall bring a top 25 ranking and the cadets up Oct. 19
We will try to win our next 3 games and bring a top 15 ranking into Oct. 19, where it will be homecoming in Greenville
Fingers crossed for great weather and a pack stadium, let's do this rivalry proper justice again xnodx

Ok, now back to the present and regularly scheduled Sept. 21 prognostications xthumbsupx

I have to fly out of town O'Dark Ugly on the 20th. I wasn't going to go to the game, but I may very well have to go if we make a run the next few games. It is only 33 miles down the mountain from me to Paladin Stadium.xnodx

FUBeAR
September 15th, 2019, 02:37 PM
Clever.

Forgot October 16, 1982...FU 28 - South Carolina 23?

Forgot USC’s fans booing them off the field at halftime after Ernest Gibson’s blocked punt, scoop, score gave the Paladins a comfortable 14-3 lead just before the half.

Forgot Furman’s final game-clinching 4th Quarter 6 play, 80 yard drive, all on the ground, to go up 28 - 16 with only 2 minutes to play?

yeah...me too...almost xsmiley_wix

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1982/10/16/David-Charpia-threw-two-touchdown-passes-and-cornerback-Ernest/8086403588800/

SU DOG
September 15th, 2019, 03:31 PM
Clever.

ElCid, I want to offer a sincere congratulations. What you guys did was a statement for The Citadel and for the SoCon. Your team looks really scary. May I offer congrats without making any kind of Furman reference or connection?

gofurman
September 15th, 2019, 05:18 PM
I too will offer congrats w no Furman reference.

ElCid
September 15th, 2019, 07:00 PM
Thanks guys. It really is a good feeling. Always proud, I am also very happy for my team right now.

rtzlunar
September 15th, 2019, 07:12 PM
1) Furman - By far the class of the SoCon
2) The Citadel - Only other team in the league that hasn’t sucked at some point this year.
3-8) 💩💩💩💩💩💩
9) WCU - Even worse than the 6 piles of ****e in the 3-8 slot.

JSUSoutherner
September 15th, 2019, 07:13 PM
2) The Citadel - Only other team in the league that hasn’t sucked at some point this year.
3-8) 💩💩💩💩💩💩

Saying Furman is 'by far' ahead of The Citadel is just plain dumb.

rtzlunar
September 15th, 2019, 07:15 PM
3-8) 💩💩💩💩💩💩

We’ll see

gofurman
September 15th, 2019, 07:29 PM

We will beat The citadel. Trust me. We beat em last year w a backup Qb in his only game he EVER played for us on road. He was gonna be made a safety and we won w him at QB. We have so many option guys on staff. It’s just a coaching matchup thing as I am not one to smack. Hendrix is 2-0 v citadel winning something like 56-20 his very first year. citadel beat GT but is 0-2 vs FCS.

bonarae
September 15th, 2019, 07:51 PM
Mercer @ Furman
Robert Morris @ VMI
James Madison @ Chattanooga
Charleston Southern @ The Citadel
Gardner-Webb @ Wofford - Wofford trending downwards, akin to the UNI of several years ago
Alabama A&M @ Samford
Austin Peay @ ETSU

ElCid
September 15th, 2019, 08:26 PM
Alabama A&M @ Samford
Austin Peay @ ETSU

I really think you got these backwards, big time.

Samford will cruise and ETSU will struggle. But hey, we'll see.

ElCid
September 15th, 2019, 08:42 PM

I do have my Dogs higher in my power ranking this week only because of "trending consideration." I have Furman obviously much higher in my poll. Today I think they might be a bit better, but the game is in weeks away. Right now the two teams I am most anxious about are Furman and Mercer. Then Samford and Wofford. They all know how to defend the run, well except maybe Samford, but their O is always bothersome. But I like our chances against anyone if we can shorten the game. We beat Tech because we held the ball almost 42 minutes. They only had 9 possessions all game. Only one in the 2nd quarter. Our D made some stops, but not letting them have the ball is the best D. If we can do that against Furman and the rest of the SOCON, I like our chances.

ElCid
September 15th, 2019, 09:00 PM
In all the hoopla of the victory, it is also important to point out that our QB did go down at the very beginning of the 4th quarter. The back up did a better than average job, but that might be of concern. Still waiting on news, but Rainey was walking the sidelines, with a gimp, but that could have been merely his adrenaline. He may have to sit next week. As I said, Murdaugh did ok and I have no big worries, but he isn't quite Rainey. I was actually impressed with Murdaugh. Coming in with the game on the line, in an P5 FBS venue, and we basically didn't miss a beat. A lot to ask of someone.

Milktruck74
September 15th, 2019, 11:14 PM
I still can't do a power ranking for the SoCon....I know the Furple are good and Citadel plays hard....but I just don't know beyond that. Take my Mocs... They looked decent (not great) against EIU, but it turns out they are horrible...then the next week they barley OK against a really bad JSU squad, that lost to SELA....but were they? Maybe they looked OK against a really good JSU team that spotted EWU 21 points just to make it interesting???? Then they went to FBS UTk, which is a dumpster fire and got HOUSED!!!! But next week they play an FCS squad, JMU, that might be better that UTk????? I guess I'll be able to hash something out around week 7 or 8!!!

gofurman
September 16th, 2019, 02:41 AM
I still can't do a power ranking for the SoCon....I know the Furple are good and Citadel plays hard....but I just don't know beyond that. Take my Mocs... They looked decent (not great) against EIU, but it turns out they are horrible...then the next week they barley OK against a really bad JSU squad, that lost to SELA....but were they? Maybe they looked OK against a really good JSU team that spotted EWU 21 points just to make it interesting???? Then they went to FBS UTk, which is a dumpster fire and got HOUSED!!!! But next week they play an FCS squad, JMU, that might be better that UTk????? I guess I'll be able to hash something out around week 7 or 8!!!

the tough thing for all of us w FCS (and FBS too) is all these FBS games and D2 games at beginning of year. And even the FCS OOC you aren't exactly sure what to think. It gives data points but I don't think we really know enough until early October

gofurman
September 16th, 2019, 02:45 AM
I do have my Dogs higher in my power ranking this week only because of "trending consideration." I have Furman obviously much higher in my poll. Today I think they might be a bit better, but the game is in weeks away. Right now the two teams I am most anxious about are Furman and Mercer. Then Samford and Wofford. They all know how to defend the run, well except maybe Samford, but their O is always bothersome. But I like our chances against anyone if we can shorten the game. We beat Tech because we held the ball almost 42 minutes. They only had 9 possessions all game. Only one in the 2nd quarter. Our D made some stops, but not letting them have the ball is the best D. If we can do that against Furman and the rest of the SOCON, I like our chances.

can't deny that. i like your objectivity. you note that Furman defends the run well and 2018 FU beat Woff and Cit allowing 14 and 17 points respectively.

PaladinNation
September 16th, 2019, 07:40 AM
If I'm a Furman player I'm itching to play an equal foe… the CSU game seems so long ago.
This week will tells a lot about the Dins and how they stack up against a good SoCon team.

Right now I'd put the SoCon in three groups.

Furman
The Citadel
Samford

The Citadel like Furman has played a pretty tough OOC - I believe both squads are battle tested, and will come into SoCon play with a pretty good idea of what they've got. Samford played better against Wofford - I have no idea what that means though. The Terriers have a lot of work to do.

Mercer
Chatty
Wofford
ETSU
VMI

This is a cluster… VMI played surprisingly well against the Bucs, and I agree with others they will get another win or two. I expect Chatty to get better as the season moves along. Wofford and ETSU should get better also. We will know more about Mercer after this weekend.

Lastly WCU. Struggling to beat North Greenville without Adams is not good. Let's hope Adams makes it back to play his senior season.

PaladinFan
September 16th, 2019, 07:47 AM
Where I am on this Mercer game is this - if Furman wants to be taken seriously on a national stage, they need to go out and play like it.

The last thing the SoCon needs is more insular parity and mediocrity. The Paladins are really the only remaining team that can keep the SoCon from looking like an also-ran this season.

gofurman
September 16th, 2019, 08:31 AM
If I'm a Furman player I'm itching to play an equal foe… the CSU game seems so long ago.
This week will tells a lot about the Dins and how they stack up against a good SoCon team.

Right now I'd put the SoCon in three groups.

Furman
The Citadel
Samford

The Citadel like Furman has played a pretty tough OOC - I believe both squads are battle tested, and will come into SoCon play with a pretty good idea of what they've got. Samford played better against Wofford - I have no idea what that means though. The Terriers have a lot of work to do.

Mercer
Chatty
Wofford
ETSU
VMI

This is a cluster… VMI played surprisingly well against the Bucs, and I agree with others they will get another win or two. I expect Chatty to get better as the season moves along. Wofford and ETSU should get better also. We will know more about Mercer after this weekend.

Lastly WCU. Struggling to beat North Greenville without Adams is not good. Let's hope Adams makes it back to play his senior season.

PaladinNation, I put SoCon like this:

Furman 2 close FBS loss and a killing of CSU who I thought wasn’t good but almost beat NC AT
Citadel two FCS losses close but honestly the second FCS they got SHELLACKED. The score was way closer than stats. They were doubled up in yardage. GT win is strong.
Mercer - BL w good QB
Samford - QB play looked good but Woff DL?
——
Chatt - do they have much offense ? Not sure
etsu - need more data but that loss at home to vmi is odd
Woff - May improve as they figure out what they want to do. Talent is there and they looked better v Samford w 270 rushing yards or so as opposed to 170 rushg v SC St. wish we played them now. Lol
vmi - still don’t think they can stop strong run teams
western - QB?

Mocs123
September 16th, 2019, 08:37 AM
Mercer 24
Furman 42 – The Paladins continue to roll

Robert Morris 27
VMI 41 – VMI goes on a winning streak

James Madison 21
Chattanooga 24 Upset of the Week – Homer pick here, but you have to have faith

Gardner-Webb 13
Wofford 17 – GWU has given Wofford problems in the past, but this seems like do or die for the Terriers and I think they pull it out at home.

Charleston Southern 17
The Citadel 28 – This could be a letdown game for the Bulldogs, but I think they will be ready to beat their cross town rival.

Alabama A&M 28
Samford 49 – Samford will be looking to let out some frustration this week, and the Hatch-Attack demolishes subpar competition.

Austin Peay 27 – I hope I’m wrong here, as I want ETSU to win, but Peay beat Mercer, who I think is pretty good, and ETSU just dropped one to VMI.
ETSU 24

1. Furman – looking like the only Elite team in the SoCon this year.
2. The Citadel – A team that’s 1-2 at #2? Yes, when that win is over an ACC school, and the two losses are to ranked FCS schools.
BIG GAP HERE
3. Mercer – Is Peay that good, or do I have Mercer ranked too high?
4. Chattanooga – Did not look good against UTK and have a real possibility to go into SoCon play 1-3
5. Samford – Samford started off a dumpster fire, but they have talent, are they starting to pull it together?
6.Wofford - Starting off 0-2 isn’t what any of us expected
7. VMI – Huge win for VMI last week, and I think they get another this week.
8. ETSU – I think ETSU is a middle of the pack SoCon team, but you lose to VMI, and this is where you end up.
9. Western Carolina – This is not looking like a good year in Cullowhee

Possible D1 Wins (FCS only –except The Citadel, which includes their win over GT)
Chattanooga – 10
The Citadel -10
Mercer – 10
Furman – 9
Samford – 9
VMI – 9
Western Carolina – 9
Wofford – 8
ETSU - 8

LarryBoy
September 16th, 2019, 11:13 AM
I expect there to be a lot of movement in these power rankings as the season goes on. So many teams in flux (What is Wofford, anyway?), and the weirdness of the early season schedule. I expect a lot of surprises, including some teams currently in the bottom half of knocking off some in the top half.

In other words, I expect chaos.

I'm very ready for Furman to play its SoCon schedule. I think they have the pieces to win the SoCon, but I'm not as confident as some other posters here. We have one lopsided victory that was supposed to be lopsided, and we hung tough with two bottom-half FBS teams. It's really hard to know what to take from those games. Clay's first two seasons were slow starts (tough schedules, QB injuries notwithstanding) followed by furious rallies once SoCon play started. This is the first season that we've looked strong-ish coming out of the gate. Hopefully they can keep the momentum.

The Citadel is my #1 until we see how Furman does with Mercer Saturday. If Furman performs well and wins, I'll feel really good about their chances going forward. Otherwise, Citadel's 1-2 record is a little bit more impressive than Furman's 1-2 record at the moment.

FUGameBreaker
September 16th, 2019, 11:49 AM
Shaping up to be another fun Saturday! Hopefully if Citadel keeps winning they will get a top 25 ranking in all polls soon enough

PaladinFan
September 16th, 2019, 12:14 PM
Listening to Hendrix's presser this morning.

I tend to forget that while Furman feels like a team ready for that next level, they are still quite young. The Paladins started three freshman on defense Saturday against VT. I think there are only 10 seniors on the entire team.

You look at a guy like Grainger. He's a freshman that has now played a total 7 games, and three of those have come in hostile FBS venues (Clemson, VT, and Ga. State). That sort of trial-by-fire will pay dividends down the road.

Mocs123
September 16th, 2019, 12:26 PM
The fact that Furman is young hasn't been lost on me, and that's a scary proposition to most SoCon fans. I do believe however that the SoCon is better, when Furman is good, as Furman is the biggest "Name" in the SoCon nowadays. No disrespect to Wofford, who along with Chattanooga have been the flag bearers of the SoCon much of the last decade, or The Citadel who's been in the conference 90 years, but Furman has more history on a national stage then any of us.

That being said, I hope Furman isn't that good come November 2nd.

PaladinFan
September 16th, 2019, 01:13 PM
The fact that Furman is young hasn't been lost on me, and that's a scary proposition to most SoCon fans. I do believe however that the SoCon is better, when Furman is good, as Furman is the biggest "Name" in the SoCon nowadays. No disrespect to Wofford, who along with Chattanooga have been the flag bearers of the SoCon much of the last decade, or The Citadel who's been in the conference 90 years, but Furman has more history on a national stage then any of us.

I think there's a lot to be optimistic about. Hendrix always comes off as a "straight shooter" and doesn't pull many punches about where he thinks the team is and what they need to do better. While the team has youth, youth really isn't an excuse anymore for not meeting expectations.

BearDownMU
September 16th, 2019, 01:57 PM
Where I am on this Mercer game is this - if Furman wants to be taken seriously on a national stage, they need to go out and play like it.

The last thing the SoCon needs is more insular parity and mediocrity. The Paladins are really the only remaining team that can keep the SoCon from looking like an also-ran this season.

I couldn't care less what it makes the SoCon looks like. I want the Bears to come back home with a win on Saturday.

SCPALADIN
September 16th, 2019, 02:02 PM

Yeah...both TDs against V-Tech were scored by Redshirt Freshman. There's definitely a lot to be excited about...
I'm really hoping some others in the Socon start getting hot...we need more representation, as a conference, in the polls. Otherwise, we'll remain a two bid conference, at best.

PaladinFan
September 16th, 2019, 02:31 PM
Yeah...both TDs against V-Tech were scored by Redshirt Freshman. There's definitely a lot to be excited about...
I'm really hoping some others in the Socon start getting hot...we need more representation, as a conference, in the polls. Otherwise, we'll remain a two bid conference, at best.

Against VT, Furman's leading rusher, leading passer, and leading tackler were all freshmen. The two turnovers were also forced by freshmen.

PaladinFan
September 16th, 2019, 02:36 PM
I couldn't care less what it makes the SoCon looks like. I want the Bears to come back home with a win on Saturday.

I think it'll be a good scrap.

CitadelGrad
September 16th, 2019, 02:40 PM
1. Furman
2. The Citadel
3. Mercer
4. Samford
5. Chattanooga
6. Wofford
7. VMI
8. ETSU
9. Western Carolina

Week 4 Games
Mercer @ Furman
Robert Morris @ VMI
Gardner-Webb @ Wofford
Alabama A&M @ Samford
Austin Peay @ ETSU

Catamount87
September 16th, 2019, 03:07 PM
All I have to say is, 3 games in and we need to dump the "co-offensive play calling duties" experiment. Good grief the offensive play calling has been unbelievably horrible. Who in their right mind continually calls for bubble/screen passes 3 yards behind the line or sweep runs when you are looking at 3 and less than a yard? Who in their right mind goes for it on 4th and 3 from the opponents 24 really early in a game when you just got stuffed on 3rd and 3? Who in their right mind wouldn't utilize an all conference TE who catches everything, is fairly quick, can run well after the catch and has a knack for being a big down performer?

Mocs123
September 16th, 2019, 03:14 PM
We've had a few OC's that fit that criteria!!!!

BearDownMU
September 16th, 2019, 03:21 PM
I think it'll be a good scrap.

If we play like we did last week it won't be. lol

walliver
September 16th, 2019, 03:40 PM
Power rankings:
1) The Citadel - probably mostly symbolic, but they did win a game.
2) Furman - Probably the best performing team on the list
3) Mercer - could this be the year they make the playoffs
Everybody else in alphabetical order:
Chattanooga - I don't really have a feel lfor them yet
ETSU - probably a middle-of-the-pack team
Samford - Their new QB ain't Devlin Hodge's but he is mobile and can run
VMI - good win, but I still have them in the lower half of the conference
WCU - With Tyrie they are in the upper half, without him they are lower third.
Wofford - Our last three playoff appearances have involved regular season losses to Samford. For some reason we just don't match up with them. The offense was improved this week and should improve as the season progresses

Predictions:
Mercer at Furman - Game of the week - It's close for three quarters, but pukes pull away in 4th for a 38-28 Furman win
Robert Morris at VMI - I'm sure Bob must have been someone famous to get both his names used, but I doubt he was a football guy. Kangaroos win 31-17
James Madison at Chattanooga - The Dukes are just too strong for the Mocassins and JMU wins 35-17
Charleston Southern at The Citadel - Chuck South ain't as horrible as they used to be, but aren't as good as the latter Chadwell years. The option rolls and The Citadel wins 42-24
Gardner Webb at Wofford - The Terriers's new "forget the option, run it up the middle every down" offense keeps the score low and the Terriers win 21-7
Alabama A&M at Samford - The Aggies beat the transitional TUNAfish and a sub-D1 in close games, but this one could get out of hand. Sammy wins 35-20
Austin Peay at ETSU - A bounce-back by the Mountain Pirates would make the conference look good, but I thing the Governators win 29-28
WCU at BYE - The entire team is suspended, but BYE fails to capitalize.

Milktruck74
September 16th, 2019, 05:04 PM
All I have to say is, 3 games in and we need to dump the "co-offensive play calling duties" experiment. Good grief the offensive play calling has been unbelievably horrible. Who in their right mind continually calls for bubble/screen passes 3 yards behind the line or sweep runs when you are looking at 3 and less than a yard? Who in their right mind goes for it on 4th and 3 from the opponents 24 really early in a game when you just got stuffed on 3rd and 3? Who in their right mind wouldn't utilize an all conference TE who catches everything, is fairly quick, can run well after the catch and has a knack for being a big down performer?

I get it. Been there!!!! But the 4th down call is on Spier...The OC picks the play to get 3 yards, but Mark makes the call to go for it.

PaladinNation
September 16th, 2019, 05:05 PM
Against VT, Furman's leading rusher, leading passer, and leading tackler were all freshmen. The two turnovers were also forced by freshmen.

and that leading tackler is SoCon Defensive Player of the Week - congrats Braden Gilby.
https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1172979642950705152

Just my take — CCH and Staff have raised the bar on recruiting, as evidence by the freshmen pushing veterans for PT. It's kinda a big deal IMO that Gilby beats out McKoy for a start.

Got a feeling Kendall Thomas will make noise next season:
http://www.hudl.com/v/2BkAY8

ElCid
September 16th, 2019, 05:15 PM
Citadel two FCS losses close but honestly the second FCS they got SHELLACKED. The score was way closer than stats. They were doubled up in yardage. GT win is strong.

Yeah, I wasn't happy with our O performance at Elon. However, the fact that we kept it close despite the lack of Offense is a plus that I will take. It wasn't all Elon miscues that got us close. It was two outstanding punt blocks and a flawless onsides kick recovery. They were worth three long drives that our O couldn't produce. As a result, it was tied up late in the fourth. How we got there is not as important as, "we got there" and we could have won if only our D stood up one last time. I look at yardage as well, but it does not trump the score.

SU DOG
September 16th, 2019, 05:31 PM
Since Devlin Hodges was mentioned in this thread, I will use this opportunity to say here that Duck was officially added to the 53 man roster of the Steelers today. As good as he was, he made this roster against all odds. CONGRATS!

SU DOG
September 16th, 2019, 05:35 PM
For those that have written Wofford off because of their loss to Samford, you best beware. That O-Line is really good, and the Terriers will get some things going on their offensive schemes that will produce. Take them lightly at your own risk.

Mocs123
September 16th, 2019, 05:58 PM
I'm sure the demise of both Wofford and Samford are both over-rated. Samford has good athletes, and have struggled replacing all world Hodges, but they have the talent to beat anyone if they are clicking. Wofford has experience and is a strong physical team. Im sure if they would just go back to being Wofford they will be fine. I think moving away from an option style attack will be a mistake for the Terriers. They are a small school with high academic standards, which can make recruiting elite athletes difficult, the option as The Citadel can attest tends to be the great equalizer for teams that don't have the most elite of athletes.

CID1990
September 16th, 2019, 07:04 PM
Clever.

You forgot Army (twice) and Navy (twice) during the same stretch.

Between 1988 and 1992 we were 6-1 versus FBS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElCid
September 16th, 2019, 07:08 PM
You forgot Army (twice) and Navy (twice) during the same stretch.

Between 1988 and 1992 we were 6-1 versus FBS.

I know, I was trying to clever as well. We had a good run back then. I am trying to think who else had as good a run against FBS and probably only Delaware or NDSU. I may have to go look.

CID1990
September 16th, 2019, 07:17 PM
I know, I was trying to clever as well. We had a good run back then. I am trying to think who else had as good a run against FBS and probably only Delaware or NDSU. I may have to go look.

Remember the team that beat us?

Air Force - by 3 points in a game where we had 2 FGs called back. That was a heartbreaking game

gofurman
September 16th, 2019, 07:18 PM

From 82-85 Furman beat Goergia Tech, USC and NC State twice ! thus they hired Dick Sheridan away from us at NC State

gofurman
September 16th, 2019, 07:20 PM
Listening to Coach Hendrix Furman - said Mercer has numerous new D coaches. Help me - How is the defense different at Mercer this year? FUBeAR? BearDownMU ?

also, what are your thoughts on strengths and weaknesses at Mercer? I mean, maybe APeay is awesome... It looked like your OL was struggling. Durden especially is a FREAK WR and scares me

CitadelGrad
September 16th, 2019, 07:49 PM
Remember the team that beat us?

Air Force - by 3 points in a game where we had 2 FGs called back. That was a heartbreaking game

I was at that game. It was clear from the beginning that the WAC refs were not going to let us win it. Gen.Watts was there and he was absolutely livid, as were the rest of us. Air Force got beat that day and they knew it, but Fisher DeBerry rubbed our noses in it in his post-game comments.

kdinva
September 16th, 2019, 07:59 PM
Mercer 21 @ Furman 42
Robert Morris 13 @ VMI 41
James Madison 42 @ UTC 16
Charleston Southern 23 @ The Citadel 38
Gardner-Webb 17 @ Wofford 27
Alabama A&M 31 @ Samford 35
Austin Peay 24 @ ETSU 22

ElCid
September 16th, 2019, 08:05 PM
From 82-85 Furman beat Goergia Tech, USC and NC State twice ! thus they hired Dick Sheridan away from us at NC State

Yup, not only beat NC State twice, but destroyed them one year as I recall.

gofurman
September 16th, 2019, 08:07 PM
Yup, not only beat NC State twice, but destroyed them one year as I recall.

yep we beat NC State by 5 or so in the first year... and then 42-20 in the second year. Thus they said hey Dick Sheridan, please come coach us

hoping I can get some Mercer thoughts from Mercer peeps:
Listening to Coach Hendrix Furman - said Mercer has numerous new D coaches. Help me - How is the defense different at Mercer this year? FUBeAR? BearDownMU ?

also, what are your thoughts on strengths and weaknesses at Mercer? I mean, maybe APeay is awesome... It looked like your OL was struggling. Durden especially is a FREAK WR and scares me

(this game scares me a ton as a Furman fan as you play right into our weakness of pass D ; as Citadel fan said.. Furman is a strong run D.. but passing teams scare me)

ElCid
September 16th, 2019, 08:08 PM
Man people are just not up on Samford. Many picking against them or thinking it will be close. I don't see it. The Tenn Tech game was an aberration. I still see them destroying Alabama A&M at home.

The Cats
September 16th, 2019, 08:47 PM
Furman
VMI
James Madison
Wofford
Citadel
Samford
Austin Peay

1. The Citadel (1-2, 0-0 SoCon)
2. Furman (1-2, 0-0 SoCon)
3. VMI (2-1, 1-0 SoCon)
4. Mercer (2-1, 1-0 SoCon)
5. ETSU (1-2, 0-1 SoCon)
6. Samford (1-2, 1-0 SoCon)
7. Wofford (0-2, 0-1 SoCon)
8. Chattanooga (1-2, 0-0 SoCon)
9. Western Carolina (1-2, 0-1 SoCon)

SU DOG
September 16th, 2019, 09:16 PM
I think it was 2004 that I watched Furman play Pittsburgh. The Paladins were absolutely robbed by the refs. I don't know that I've ever seen a college game where the calls were so obviously slanted towards the home team. I was actually yelling at the officials and I was furious, although I doubt they heard me through the TV screen. To me, Furman DID WIN that game in actuality, but were unbelievably cheated to something like a 3 point loss.

ElCid
September 16th, 2019, 09:34 PM
I think it was 2004 that I watched Furman play Pittsburgh. The Paladins were absolutely robbed by the refs. I don't know that I've ever seen a college game where the calls were so obviously slanted towards the home team. I was actually yelling at the officials and I was furious, although I doubt they heard me through the TV screen. To me, Furman DID WIN that game in actuality, but were unbelievably cheated to something like a 3 point loss.

I must say that our game in 2015 and our game this past week, the refs were pretty good. Sure there are always calls made or not made that are arguable, but on the whole I did not see too many blatant home cooking. If anything they were being generous to us in calling Ga Tech on multiple unsportsmanlike penalties. But I watched it on TV and was not up close and didn't hear the actually taunting. If you go to the Ga Tech message board, they were ready to run those refs out of town this past week. They insist they were robbed in the final minute or so by the refs. Despite the clear evidence of the replay. The refs were spot on. You never know. But when you do play an OOC or an FBS you better not give them any opportunity for interpretation. Don't give them a chance to call something.

gofurman
September 16th, 2019, 10:29 PM

Good memory you have there SU. Better than mine! We took a good Pitt team to double OT or something that year. We shoulda won the FCS title. Ingle Martin Jerome Felton 8 year NFL FB. Ike west and Brian Bratton - long CFL career. Best recvr duo we have ever had. Beat Jax State in playoffs like 49-7. Just cruising. Lost to champ JMU at Furman be of a fumble walking in end zone and loss of a key linebacker (Killian?) mid game and on and on. Lost 13-14 to JMU who won title by 14 or so. It was PAINFUL. Probably our most talented team ever. The Pitt coach said 8 or so those guys would take our starting spots

gofurman
September 16th, 2019, 10:35 PM
Keeps falling to back of thread-

FUBeAR
September 16th, 2019, 11:06 PM
Keeps falling to back of thread-

https://watch.espnplus.com/sports/sign-up-now/?ex_cid=DSS-Search-Bing-71700000045301936&s_kwcid=AL!%208468!10!79371093404901!7937123461229 8&msclkid=fd2c2f0c79f315f2407b728c228260fb&gclid=CO3Q05v91uQCFQPwgQodIrUBbA&gclsrc=ds

gofurman
September 16th, 2019, 11:23 PM
https://watch.espnplus.com/sports/sign-up-now/?ex_cid=DSS-Search-Bing-71700000045301936&s_kwcid=AL!%208468!10!79371093404901!7937123461229 8&msclkid=fd2c2f0c79f315f2407b728c228260fb&gclid=CO3Q05v91uQCFQPwgQodIrUBbA&gclsrc=ds

FUBeAR - thanks. But I watched vs APeay. I wanted YOUR (more knowledgeable) takeaway - You really know your stuff.. you played for FU.. you know Mercer (a lot) etc. I saw an OL that got beat and thus pressure on Riddle and only one good run by a great back in Devezin (he killed us last year). I saw a recvr who is awesome in Durden and was catching everything ! scary. I mean he would catch a tough ball and then politley help the DB he just beat up from the ground... it was amazing. KOR were awesome - I can only hope our man kicks them out of endzone! Mercer can KOR best in SoCon in my opinion.

Just asking for things like that. Nothing coaches aren't going to know.

What defensive changes are going on there with the new D coaches? other strengths? weaknesses? the only real weakness I saw was OL which was odd considering 4 of 5 OL return.

FUBeAR
September 17th, 2019, 04:27 AM
FUBeAR - thanks. But I watched vs APeay. I wanted YOUR (more knowledgeable) takeaway - You really know your stuff.. you played for FU.. you know Mercer (a lot) etc. I saw an OL that got beat and thus pressure on Riddle and only one good run by a great back in Devezin (he killed us last year). I saw a recvr who is awesome in Durden and was catching everything ! scary. I mean he would catch a tough ball and then politley help the DB he just beat up from the ground... it was amazing. KOR were awesome - I can only hope our man kicks them out of endzone! Mercer can KOR best in SoCon in my opinion.

Just asking for things like that. Nothing coaches aren't going to know.

What defensive changes are going on there with the new D coaches? other strengths? weaknesses? the only real weakness I saw was OL which was odd considering 4 of 5 OL return.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/mercer.sidearmsports.com/documents/2019/7/9/2019_Mercer_Football_Prospectus.pdf

https://mercerbears.com/cumestats.aspx?path=football

PaladinFan
September 17th, 2019, 04:53 AM
For those that have written Wofford off because of their loss to Samford, you best beware. That O-Line is really good, and the Terriers will get some things going on their offensive schemes that will produce. Take them lightly at your own risk.

While Wofford has not looked good, I do not think anyone has written them off. For me, I said early on that I expected them to take a step back this season and didn't really see them as a top 10 team. I still think they are a plenty dangerous opponent.

I'm a little reluctant to buy that Wofford can just morph offensive schemes mid-season. Running a competent offense is tough, and probably increasingly so when you can't seem to make up your mind about what sort of team you want to be.

Wofford is starting the softest part of its schedule - none of their next four opponents (GWU, VMI, ETSU, and WCU) have been particularly strong this season. I think they'll get back on the horse the next few weeks. I don't think the second half of the season (UTC, Clemson, Mercer, Furman, Citadel) will be as kind to them.

PaladinFan
September 17th, 2019, 04:56 AM
Man people are just not up on Samford. Many picking against them or thinking it will be close. I don't see it. The Tenn Tech game was an aberration. I still see them destroying Alabama A&M at home.

Samford is hard to predict. I do think they'll beat the brakes off A&M, though.

SCPALADIN
September 17th, 2019, 07:33 AM

I was at that game in Pittsburgh. We must've had 20 Pitt fans come up to us on the way into Heinz Field and ask where our school was...they had no idea who we were. They sure as Hell knew who we were by the end of the game.
That game had a lot of iffy calls, some cheap shots, a few injuries, and one painful missed 37 yard FG in OT. People forget how good a RBs Daric Carter and Cedrick Gipson were. Jerome Felton wasn't much of a factor in 2004 as he was just a Freshman and only carried the ball about 5 times a game.

gofurman
September 17th, 2019, 07:51 AM
While Wofford has not looked good, I do not think anyone has written them off. For me, I said early on that I expected them to take a step back this season and didn't really see them as a top 10 team. I still think they are a plenty dangerous opponent.

I'm a little reluctant to buy that Wofford can just morph offensive schemes mid-season. Running a competent offense is tough, and probably increasingly so when you can't seem to make up your mind about what sort of team you want to be.

Wofford is starting the softest part of its schedule - none of their next four opponents (GWU, VMI, ETSU, and WCU) have been particularly strong this season. I think they'll get back on the horse the next few weeks. I don't think the second half of the season (UTC, Clemson, Mercer, Furman, Citadel) will be as kind to them.

PaladinFan, I agree Wofrd has been given a chance to make all right for themselves. they had a bye and looked better vs a Samford team that always gives Wof trouble. now gwu, vmi, etsu etc as you noted - teams that can't stop the run and I think they could easily be 3-3. The thing to watch will be what system do they employ on O. The D struggles are understood - injuris and not much help from the O. D did well holding a Samford team to 21 (put 22 on YSU who had strong O)

walliver
September 17th, 2019, 09:11 AM
Samford is hard to predict. I do think they'll beat the brakes off A&M, though.
Samford has always been hard to predict during the Hatcher era. They look like world-beaters some weeks, and then struggle with, and sometimes lose to, the weaker teams on their schedule.

SU DOG
September 17th, 2019, 09:13 AM
Samford has always been hard to predict during the Hatcher era. They look like world-beaters some weeks, and then struggle with, and sometimes lose to, the weaker teams on their schedule.

Painfully TRUE.

BearDownMU
September 17th, 2019, 09:44 AM

We've applied for a waiver from the NCAA to allow us to play 12 on defense. I'll let you know when we hear back. Pretty innovative solution from our new coaches, if I do say so myself.

Mocs123
September 17th, 2019, 09:48 AM
We've applied for a waiver from the NCAA to allow us to play 12 on defense. I'll let you know when we hear back. Pretty innovative solution from our new coaches, if I do say so myself.

If that gets approved, I would like to change my prediction for Saturdays game :)

PaladinNation
September 17th, 2019, 10:02 AM
Curious about Furman's Game Note's for the Mercer game. Still not posted, and based on the VaTech game not reliable.
I think defensively Furman (Duane Vaughn) is adjusting the depth cart based on practice performance. Based on Gilby's performance I just don't see him a bystander anymore.

I know GoFurman has an issue with Furan playing freshmen but I also think we will see a lot of Blackshear and Chizick the rest of the season, especially against Mercer, VMI, Samford, WCU, and ETSU. Not sure about Chatty and how Furman will scheme the Mocs.

FUGameBreaker
September 17th, 2019, 01:41 PM

Brilliant lol xsmileyclapx

PaladinFan
September 17th, 2019, 02:21 PM
Curious about Furman's Game Note's for the Mercer game. Still not posted, and based on the VaTech game not reliable.
I think defensively Furman (Duane Vaughn) is adjusting the depth cart based on practice performance. Based on Gilby's performance I just don't see him a bystander anymore.

I know GoFurman has an issue with Furan playing freshmen but I also think we will see a lot of Blackshear and Chizick the rest of the season, especially against Mercer, VMI, Samford, WCU, and ETSU. Not sure about Chatty and how Furman will scheme the Mocs.

There's no issue - at some positions the learning curve is steeper than at other positions. When a guy is ready, he should play.

Hendrix has mentioned a number of times that there's not much drop off at certain positions between the 1s and 2s. If that's the case, he's going to keep rotating them.

gofurman
September 17th, 2019, 03:22 PM
There's no issue - at some positions the learning curve is steeper than at other positions. When a guy is ready, he should play.

Hendrix has mentioned a number of times that there's not much drop off at certain positions between the 1s and 2s. If that's the case, he's going to keep rotating them.

Right. What I allude to is redshirting everyone possible. Which CH even said he wanted to do more of in his recent presser this week. Not that a coach saying it makes it correct but cÂ’mon. ItÂ’s easy to see a bunch of 21-22 year olds are better than the same guys one year younger and less experienced and less weight lifting. CH just said on Monday he was trying to redshirt more and more as we can.

Now I do hear that we are possibly playing a little less aggressive on D because of some youth. If thatÂ’s the case I wonder shouldnÂ’t we be playing the older guy even if slightly less talented. We need to win NOW. ItÂ’s conference time! Win now. The younger guys can play in the spring and fall camp. That said it appears we havenÂ’t had Weems available for a few weeks.

To PaladinNations point of the two deep I hope they try to keep that pretty honest as fans like to see who is going to start etc.
it appears they are going w whomever practices better that week and, so as PaladinNaton said, the two deep is a little off. It listed McKoy as starter but Gilby started. It listed Okeh starting but I think the Ryan started. ?

Again, no issue w young guys at all ! None. Just hope to redshirt all we can and CH said the very same recently. He noted that some of the 2017 Freshman might have redshirted had they come this year. thats great to hear bc what is implied there is that we now have more depth. We aren't 100% but much much better! (100% would have a Junior or Senior QB w Grainger having one more year of prep I would suspect) And CHH also pointed out after GSU we are missing our Senior CB (Weems) implying he would play Weems if we can

ElCid
September 17th, 2019, 08:48 PM
Looks like our QB, Rainey, is day to day. He got his leg bent backwards being tackled after a scary face mask. As I mentioned earlier, our back up did ok. I would rather have a close game and have him continue recovery than risk him too early. Looks like QB#3 is a true freshman per the press conference yesterday.

gofurman
September 17th, 2019, 09:16 PM
Looks like our QB, Rainey, is day to day. He got his leg bent backwards being tackled after a scary face mask. As I mentioned earlier, our back up did ok. I would rather have a close game and have him continue recovery than risk him too early. Looks like QB#3 is a true freshman per the press conference yesterday.

glad to hear he will be ok. you wont need him v Charleston Southrn in my opinion

FUBeAR
September 17th, 2019, 10:57 PM
Just watched sammy @ woffy. 2 observations...

1) Woffy has selected an Offense. They are running EXACTLY the same O that Mercer ran from 2013-2016...with a wee bit of Furman I for a change of pace. They are running Mercer’s O pretty well. Not so much with the FU I. Very smart of them to run the (old) MU O because a) it’s a good Offense b) relies on good O-Line play - Woffy’s OL is doing well with the Power/Power Read/PowerO schemes, but will need more reps on combo blocks to run their zone stuff effectively. c) relies on good backs who will run hard, carry out fakes, and block from time-to-time. They have those. d) relies on a QB who can run & make good decisions. They have those. e) it’s a good O to build from / transition to the “NCAA standard (vanilla) O” (the one Head Coaches, particularly Defensive-minded Head Coaches, want to run in FCS, so they can land a G5 job). They have one of those, IMO.

What they don’t have though...John Russ. Russ was never going to make anyone forget Tom Brady, but he could throw it OK to good & his accuracy improved every year. Woffy caint throw it a lick. They need to find just 2 or 3 pass plays (MAX) that their QB’s might be able to hit 1/3rd of the time & run them a bajillion times each day in practice. And just run the dang ball...until they have a QB that can throw it...maybe next year...still run the Mercer O, but up the passing to maybe 33% of the time, then they can move to NCAA Vanilla in 2021 & Coach Conklin can take the Eastern Michigan job in 2022.

On D...I’m not sure Woffy can stop the run this year & they had very little pass rush. Seems strange watching them & not seeing 2 or 3 excellent & agile 300+ pounders on that D-Line. They are going to have to put 8+ in the box against Teams that can run the ball, of course leaving themselves susceptible to the pass. Going to be an interesting year in SparkleCity, but FUBeAR does like the decision they have made on O. Best thing they could do after that poop-show they rolled out in Orangeburg.

2) I see now why Coach Hatcher was reluctant to start the QB that FUBeAR will refer to as “O” until FUBeAR learns to spell his name properly. That passing game has to grate on CCH’s Pure Passing Game Artistic sensibilities. But, I’m impressed with his decision. He’s proven (now) that winning is more important to him than a ‘beautiful’ symphony of near-7-on-7. And “O” is a winner...”O”bviously. If he can avoid getting himself killed with all of his (excellent) work extending plays & taking off for big gains, his ability to execute the HatchAttack in a manner that is pleasing to CCH’s eyes, will improve.

He, Grainger, Riddle, Adams (if he returns next game, as is rumored...interesting that he played against Mercer then sat for 2 meaningless games, huh?), Tiano, “U” (the VMI guy), and even Rainey & Newman (the RUNNERS) are going to be fun to watch this year.

Also, watched 1st half of VMI @ ETSU...only 1 observation...UGHly!!

kdinva
September 18th, 2019, 11:35 AM
, watched 1st half of VMI @ ETSU...only 1 observation...UGHly!!

that is why they play 60 minutes.....

FUBeAR
September 18th, 2019, 12:01 PM
that is why they play 60 minutes.....I’ll try to watch the 2nd half tonight. I liked the outcome a lot, but what I saw on the field from both Teams in the 1st half was Double Bag U-GLY. 2nd half better make me think of Jennifer Garner (FUBeAR likes that one) or it’s gonna be hard to overcome that Phyllis Diller vs. Granny Clampett nude jello rasslin’ spectacle I witnessed in the 1st.

ElCid
September 18th, 2019, 02:53 PM
I just re-watched our game at GA Tech, again. Love it. The scoring drives in the second and third quarters were epic. About 70-80 yards each and chewing up about 5 minutes each. The frustration by the Ga Tech players in allowing us to keep marching down the field just oozes from them after each play.

I will say this, Rainey run right and Rainey run left was good for a bunch of first downs, but Rainey up the middle, untouched, for the 22 yard TD was even sweeter. I still can't understand how GaTech was not tighter on defense against the run. Hmm. I think we executed better than we had against both Towson and Elon, but still. Our D was better as well, but the they had a few failures and we got burned on a couple long runs and passes. Generally though, they seem to be improving.

FUBeAR
September 18th, 2019, 04:10 PM
I just re-watched our game at GA Tech, again. Love it. The scoring drives in the second and third quarters were epic. About 70-80 yards each and chewing up about 5 minutes each. The frustration by the Ga Tech players in allowing us to keep marching down the field just oozes from them after each play.

I will say this, Rainey run right and Rainey run left was good for a bunch of first downs, but Rainey up the middle, untouched, for the 22 yard TD was even sweeter. I still can't understand how GaTech was not tighter on defense against the run. Hmm. I think we executed better than we had against both Towson and Elon, but still. Our D was better as well, but the they had a few failures and we got burned on a couple long runs and passes. Generally though, they seem to be improving.
Y’know...no matter how many times you re-watch that game, it still only counts as 1 win.

RaineyUpTheMiddle is the misdirection play in the bellhop’s O. Tricked ‘em - that’s cheatin’

ElCid
September 18th, 2019, 05:06 PM
Y’know...no matter how many times you re-watch that game, it still only counts as 1 win.xbawlingx

RaineyUpTheMiddle is the misdirection play in the bellhop’s O. Tricked ‘em - that’s cheatin’

Say it isn't so. You know what it feels like. The USC game is on You Tube, but I was smart enough to record this one myself.

Did you see that run though? He was doing a little bobbing and weaving, but generally it was North South.

Scrappy94
September 18th, 2019, 05:28 PM
1. Furman
2. The Citadel
3. Chattanooga
4. Mercer
5. Samford
6. Wofford
7. VMI
8. ETSU
9. Western Carolina

Mercer @ Furman
Robert Morris @ VMI
Gardner-Webb @ Wofford
Alabama A&M @ Samford
Austin Peay @ ETSU

gofurman
September 19th, 2019, 05:17 AM
Woff schedule to start year... I think the doublebye may have missed - they have time to really improve and I think they did comparing SC State vs Samford...
SC State
Bye
Samford
Gwb
VMI
ETSU (away) that might be tough
Bye
Western (may have Adams)

then Chatt, Clemson, Furman, Mercer Citadel

FUBeAR
September 19th, 2019, 05:21 AM
that is why they play 60 minutes.....

I’ll try to watch the 2nd half tonight. I liked the outcome a lot, but what I saw on the field from both Teams in the 1st half was Double Bag U-GLY. 2nd half better make me think of Jennifer Garner (FUBeAR likes that one) or it’s gonna be hard to overcome that Phyllis Diller vs. Granny Clampett nude jello rasslin’ spectacle I witnessed in the 1st.

2nd half was much better to watch, but still only Jan-not-Marsha-Brady-like. Impressed with certain aspects of each Team, but unimpressed with other pieces. VMI showed marked improvement in all areas over prior years. They will not ‘roll over’ in (m)any SoCon games this year. They definitely out-coached the ETSU Coaches. ETSU’s O seems a bit like Woffy at this point - trying to figure out what they can/should do/be & I saw some effort issues in their D Front. Bucs DB’s are certainly formidable though - reminded me of APSU’s back end. I think Herink wins that game if he were still pulling the trigger in JC. Did all of the Bucs’ ‘magic’ leave when he finished? Maybe so. Looked that way last Sa...um, Sunday morning.

SUPharmacist
September 19th, 2019, 08:00 AM
Mercer
VMI
James Madison
Citadel
Wofford
Samford
Austin Peay

jayhawkdaddy
September 19th, 2019, 10:32 AM
1) Furman
2) The Citadel
3) Mercer
4) VMI
5) Chattanooga
6) ETSU
7) Samford
8) Western Carolina
9) Wofford

Week 4 Games
Furman
VMI
James Madison
The Citadel
Wofford
Samford
Austin Peay

FUGameBreaker
September 19th, 2019, 12:19 PM
TBT

https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1174706020817547264

FUBeAR
September 20th, 2019, 03:12 AM
I think I like the way the App/ETSU fan did it - Power Rankings before picks...

Power Rankings

1) Furman - Sure wish they were 3-0 instead of 1-2, but they look like the strongest SoCon Team at this point regardless of their record. Y’know, the Paladins were clearly the strongest SoCon Team heading into the Playoffs last year too. I’m thinking their theme song this year just might be that 1979 classic from The Who, “Won’t Get Screwed Again,” These Kids (in purple) Are Alright.

2) Mercer - Sorry, bellhops, I’m just not that into you. And I don’t think GT is a very good Football Team, at any level of D1. I do think APSU is pretty good though, so the Bears are still in 1st place in the SoCon & stay put at #2 in the more important FUBeAR Power Rankings. If they poop the bed, um, woods around beautiful Paladin Stadium on Sat., playing a as a 10 point underdog on the road, they’ll probably take a tumble. But FUBeAR has Furman ranked #4 in his FCS poll, so...maybe not.

3) The Citadel - “This is what happens when you beat an ACC team.” When do they play one? JK - nice job getting an FBS scalp & completely embarrassing them in the process using ‘that HS Offense’ to do it. FUBeAR did pick CIT to win last week, BTW...so, this thinking that GT is not a very good Football Team is not a recent epiphany...but an FBS W is still an FBS W. Your reward, the #3 spot & an injured starting QB...the backbone, skeletal system, nervous system, and ‘big toe’ (just like Sgt. Hulka) of your Offense. We’ll see how that plays out.

4) Samford - up from the depths, the Bulldogs rise. Amazing what can happen when winning takes priority over running a ‘pure’ system. I liked Samford’s game against Woffy. I don’t have them much above #5 and a long way from #3, but they have a chance to improve as the season wears along...or not.

5) Chattanooga - Tough call here. They haven’t had much positive results on the field and I don’t think they will this week. Just know they have good athletes & a good Coaching Staff, so we’ll post ‘em up at #5...for now

6) VMI - Proud of the hoppers. They have definitely improved this season, but the D wore down badly in the 2nd half & I don’t think they have enough depth on either side of the ball to sustain / warrant a higher ranking than #6

7) ETSU - reminded me a lot Woffy last week. They just don’t seem to know what they want to be/do on Offense. Also, their D has some issues that I noted - lack of effort upfront & DAP-plagued in the back. FUBeAR predicted an OT game with VMI last week, but didn’t think VMI’s PassPro would be good enough to pull it out...didn’t anticipate ETSU’s D doggin’ it and picked the wrong side. FUBeAR’s recommendation to ETSU would be to do what Woffy (seems to be) is doing & run the Mercer 13-16 O, but I think their HC doesn’t want his resume to show he ran the ball 90% of the time...so we’ll see.

8) Western Carolina - HUGE comeback squeaker of a win for the Cats over a D2 squad last week. Nothing more than a finger in the dyke, or is it dike (always mess that up) when there is a tidal wave coming. I don’t see the Cats rising above this spot this season....possibly for the next 4.

9) Wofford - 0-2 & about to be placed on “WCU Alert” by the SoCon Office. I think that’s similar to “VMI Watch/Warning,” but updated to reflect current circumstances. LittleDogs continue to wallow in the basement, until they prove they don’t belong here. Beating Gardner-Webb might help some, but the D2 squad that WCU just squeaked would destroy G-W. Better job on O, if their Coaching Staff can be satisfied with throwing the ball, um, NEVER! They can’t...so with a decimated D, the yappers are facing a tough season.

Week 4 Games

Robert Morris @ VMI - Keydets are better than Bob AND Moe combined. Roos ROLL 49-14.

James Madison @ Chattanooga - JMU is better than Tennessee, but the Mocs Players, who grew up crooning Rocky Top, don’t realize that and keep this one closer. JMU wins 35-20

Charleston Southern @ The Citadel - Charleston Southern is not quite as good as Georgia Tech, so CIT wins again, 31-21

Gardner-Webb @ Wofford - G-W is a sad Football Team. Woffy is sadder. Runnin’ Bulldogs send Terrier Fans off to all-day Vineyard Vines shopping sprees on Sunday to assuage their sorrows. G-W with the non-upset 24-21

Alabama A&M @ Samford - Man, I hating picking this game. Not even gonna go into my reasons. A&M wins 34-17

Austin Peay @ ETSU - Govs arrest lawless MountainSeaOutlaws 42-7

Bye @ WCU - Starting QB serves another week of non-conference suspension & doesn’t suit up for the Bye game. Cats give their new Chancellor another highly meaningful game ball in a tearful, yet boisterous post-no-game locker room celebration...and she’s PROUD of it. Cat’s with back-to-back HUGE WINS, 1-0

Not exactly a banner week for the SoCon, huh. Hope most of these wrong!

PaladinFan
September 20th, 2019, 07:14 AM
I think Wofford rights the ship against GWU. If the Runnin Bulldogs take that one, though, it's full blown panic time in Spartanburg.

I say that not as an anti-Wofford guy, but as someone who sees a lot of similarities between what Wofford is going through and what Furman was doing before having 10 years of crappy football.

gofurman
September 20th, 2019, 07:19 AM
I agree that Woff wins. I watched them play Samford. They went back to some straight runs (not t option) and their OL should push GWb around. just too much talent on Woff to lose to gw. on OL esp.

PaladinFan
September 20th, 2019, 08:34 AM
I agree that Woff wins. I watched them play Samford. They went back to some straight runs (not t option) and their OL should push GWb around. just too much talent on Woff to lose to gw. on OL esp.

They did. The talent advantage does not always matter, though. Wofford was more talented than South Carolina State too. Gardner Webb has a long tradition of being a thorn in the side of SoCon teams.

While Wofford did run the ball a good bit against Samford, I don't think that is indicative of turning the ship around. Samford's defense was Charmin Ultra Soft through the first two games of the season. YSU rushed for 277 against them. Tennessee Tech rushed for 246 yards en route to putting up nearly 700 yards against Samford's defense. TTU managed just 301 yards against a D2 school last week, so less than half of what they managed against Samford.

So Wofford's new offense managed 14 points against a team that appears to play defense only because the rules require them to.

FUGameBreaker
September 20th, 2019, 09:24 AM
https://twitter.com/HEROSportsFCS/status/1174758635953635330

SU DOG
September 20th, 2019, 10:10 AM
Homer opinion I know, but the Samford defense has talent and is showing inprovement. The Wofford offense, I think will handle GW, and I expect the Terriers will blow out GW. I don't know what to think about AAMU vs SAMFORD, as for the score. I do think that Samford will win this game, but it may be a Dog Fight(get it - DOG fight?) That team looked pretty solid against UNA. I'm shocked at FUBeAR's 34-17 A&M wins prediction, and would love to know his reasoning there.

PaladinFan
September 20th, 2019, 10:32 AM
Homer opinion I know, but the Samford defense has talent and is showing inprovement. The Wofford offense, I think will handle GW, and I expect the Terriers will blow out GW. I don't know what to think about AAMU vs SAMFORD, as for the score. I do think that Samford will win this game, but it may be a Dog Fight(get it - DOG fight?) That team looked pretty solid against UNA. I'm shocked at FUBeAR's 34-17 A&M wins prediction, and would love to know his reasoning there.

I was impressed with the Bulldog's athleticism on defense, but they certainly faded late in the first two contests.

gofurman
September 20th, 2019, 10:49 AM
They did. The talent advantage does not always matter, though. Wofford was more talented than South Carolina State too. Gardner Webb has a long tradition of being a thorn in the side of SoCon teams.

While Wofford did run the ball a good bit against Samford, I don't think that is indicative of turning the ship around. Samford's defense was Charmin Ultra Soft through the first two games of the season. YSU rushed for 277 against them. Tennessee Tech rushed for 246 yards en route to putting up nearly 700 yards against Samford's defense. TTU managed just 301 yards against a D2 school last week, so less than half of what they managed against Samford.

So Wofford's new offense managed 14 points against a team that appears to play defense only because the rules require them to.

strong stats - i'll be interested in scores. please win Furman!

FUGameBreaker
September 20th, 2019, 01:03 PM
https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1175099874729168896

FUGameBreaker
September 20th, 2019, 04:29 PM
https://twitter.com/MercerFootball/status/1175130265351593986

FUBeAR
September 20th, 2019, 10:51 PM
I'm shocked at FUBeAR's 34-17 A&M wins prediction, and would love to know his reasoning there.
Well, it starts with a 1982 Playoff game and ends with last week’s UNA vs. ALA&M game and includes the number of players on Samford’s roster & where they attended HS. You really don’t want to know. Hope I’m BAD WRONG!

FUGameBreaker
September 21st, 2019, 08:59 AM
https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1175364048503889920

https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1175401793993371648

https://twitter.com/MercerFootball/status/1175394675315937287

chattownmocs
September 21st, 2019, 09:43 AM
Let's go mocs. I'll settle for a little fight today.

FUGameBreaker
September 21st, 2019, 01:36 PM
https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1175478746905817088

PaladinFan
September 21st, 2019, 01:37 PM
Mercer May put up some points, but the bear defense hasn’t done a thing to stop Furmans offense today. Paladins have over 300 yards in first half.

PaladinFan
September 21st, 2019, 02:39 PM
Furman's looked sloppy in the second half. Ugly third quarter. Still up four touchdowns.

FUGameBreaker
September 21st, 2019, 02:42 PM
https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1175495138006585345

FUGameBreaker
September 21st, 2019, 02:55 PM
Superman!!!!!

https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1175497064756547584

FUGameBreaker
September 21st, 2019, 03:21 PM
https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1175504902799450112

rtzlunar
September 21st, 2019, 03:31 PM
Let's go mocs. I'll settle for a little fight today.

No fight or pulse yet for Chattanooga. Another beat down underway.

rtzlunar
September 21st, 2019, 03:44 PM
Mocs with 2 quick TD’s. 14-14

ElCid
September 21st, 2019, 03:47 PM
Mocs with 2 quick TD’s. 14-14

That was nice but Mocs O still wanting a bit. Hope they hang around long enough to make a game of it.

rtzlunar
September 21st, 2019, 03:48 PM
JMU’s Stapleton is a big boy. Wouldn’t want to be stuck in a bathroom with him.

PaladinFan
September 21st, 2019, 03:51 PM
Looking at the box score, Furman with 400+ plus rushing yards and 600 total yards.

I'm not sure how you stop Furman's offense.

ElCid
September 21st, 2019, 04:11 PM
VMI win streak comes to an end. Lost to Bob 31-21.

FUGameBreaker
September 21st, 2019, 04:23 PM
Looking at the box score, Furman with 400+ plus rushing yards and 600 total yards.

I'm not sure how you stop Furman's offense.

Doubt anyone in the SoCon has a good enough Defense to hold us down

kdinva
September 21st, 2019, 04:32 PM
VMI win streak comes to an end. Lost to Bob 31-21.

Keydets played like they were wearing 40-lb boots, no explosiveness like last week, receivers couldn't get open, red zone breakdowns (kicker clanked a 22 yarder), VMI O-line looked like 10th graders.

rtzlunar
September 21st, 2019, 04:38 PM
Mocs became really conservative on offense when they had 2 possessions down 17-14 with a chance to take the lead. Not sure you can beat #2 playing vanilla. Hope we’re saving something for the 2nd half down 20-14. JMU won’t beat themselves.

FUGameBreaker
September 21st, 2019, 06:27 PM
Citadel why are you screwing around with CSU?

ElCid
September 21st, 2019, 06:32 PM
Citadel why are you screwing around with CSU?

Hang over. Knew that was possible. Defensive struggle so far. CSU is playing pretty good as well. I knew they were getting better considering their A&T game. Using our back up QB as well. Starting is a bit different than coming in in the fourth. Timing is just not quite as good as with Rainey. Not bad, but a little off.

FUGameBreaker
September 21st, 2019, 06:39 PM
Hang over. Knew that was possible. Defensive struggle so far. CSU is playing pretty good as well. I knew they were getting better considering their A&T game. Using our back up QB as well. Starting is a bit different than coming in in the fourth. Timing is just not quite as good as with Rainey. Not bad, but a little off.

True, injuries forcing to play back-up QB can make a huge difference, we learned that one ourselves last year

gofurman
September 21st, 2019, 06:44 PM
I get it but we beat CSU by 30.. that's a little odd to be up 7-3 at half

Mocs123
September 21st, 2019, 08:45 PM
We had a slow start but made a game out of it for a while. We had a pass intercepted in the end zone that sort of took the wind out of our sails.

JMU had a big receiver that gave us problems (sort of like JSU) and JMU seemed to run the ball at will in the second half - not often I have said that about a team. Our D is missing some guys from last year.

Dropped passes continue to plague our offense.

ElCid
September 21st, 2019, 08:47 PM
I get it but we beat CSU by 30.. that's a little odd to be up 7-3 at half

Your game was the first game of the season for CSU under a new coach. They have settled down as evidenced last week as well. Not sure what happened but I was locked out of AGS for like 90 minutes. We had a killer goal line stand from the 1 foot line. Stuffed them 4 times to seal the deal. As I mentioned our backup QB is ok, probably a slightly better passer, but not nearly as crisp in making reads as our starter. That cost us more than one 3rd down attempt tonight. But he got some good work. I am certain Rainey should be back next week at Samford. I have no doubt that the boys pulled up a bit after last weeks game. Our D got a couple 4 down stuffs, but they got sucked in a few times by one of CSU's QBs scrambling. Almost cost us game. But a W is a W.

Mocs123
September 21st, 2019, 08:49 PM
JMU is a really good team. Their D is as good as I've seen in a while.

Mocs123
September 21st, 2019, 08:51 PM
I can't get a score on Samford/Alabama A&M.....Anyone have a score?

SCPALADIN
September 21st, 2019, 09:14 PM

41-14 in the 4th

ElCid
September 21st, 2019, 09:18 PM

55-21. I knew Samford would roll. Lots of time left as well.

gofurman
September 21st, 2019, 09:55 PM
FUBeAR was telling us Samford would lose - not sure I get that. Anyway, glad SoCon won - Furman (well, one of us had too) - Citadel, Woff, Samford and good one by ETSU over APeay

ElCid
September 21st, 2019, 10:11 PM
FUBeAR was telling us Samford would lose - not sure I get that. Anyway, glad SoCon won - Furman (well, one of us had too) - Citadel, Woff, Samford and good one by ETSU over APeay

In general, a good showing. Samford did not shock me at all. About what I called it. The ETSU one did shock me a bit. My biggest shocker was how bad you demolished Mercer. I figured Wofford had to wake up at some point. They are still an unknown quantity though.

FUGameBreaker
September 21st, 2019, 10:27 PM
VMI with the L and ETSU with the W, you truly gotta bring it every single week!

gofurman
September 21st, 2019, 10:49 PM
In general, a good showing. Samford did not shock me at all. About what I called it. The ETSU one did shock me a bit. My biggest shocker was how bad you demolished Mercer. I figured Wofford had to wake up at some point. They are still an unknown quantity though.

Thanks ElCid, I mean Furman and Citadel agreeing.. what's next? human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... hope the Ghostbusters quote isn't lost on those too young.

gofurman
September 21st, 2019, 10:51 PM
whatever this means but that was Mercer's worst conference loss... EVER IN THEIR PROGRAM HISTORY

BearDownMU
September 22nd, 2019, 01:35 AM
whatever this means but that was Mercer's worst conference loss... EVER IN THEIR PROGRAM HISTORY

By every possible, conceivable measure.

Ugh.

PaladinFan
September 22nd, 2019, 06:36 AM

I've watched Furman's offense four times this year, and the only team that came remotely close to slowing down the Paladin offense was Virginia Tech (who has superior size and athleticism). I'm really not sure how defenses are supposed to game plan for it.

The broadcast team noted during the game that Bobby Lamb had called Furman's offense four offenses rolled into one. I think that's probably accurate.

PaladinFan
September 22nd, 2019, 06:49 AM
By every possible, conceivable measure.

Ugh.

Watching Mercer a few times, I think they will probably be fine and still have a shot at a playoff bid.

They still struggled this week (like last week) to really get the running game going. Devezin, in my opinion, is Mercer's best player on offense and a guy that can carry the team. They have got to find ways to get him running.

Mocs123
September 22nd, 2019, 08:16 AM
Way to go ETSU for picking up a quality OOC win, and for The Citadel and Samford for picking up OOC wins as well. I wish we had a better showing agaisnt JMU, but like JSU, we were in the game and I thought the game was closer then the final score. VMI, what happened after the big win at ETSU last week?

ElCid
September 22nd, 2019, 04:27 PM
Not sure about the others, but our Linebacker Willie Eubanks better win SOCON Defensive Player of the Week this week.

- 9 Tackles, 2 TFL, 1 Sack
- Interception in 3rd with score at 14-6
- Broke up a 4th down pass attempt
- On 2nd and goal from 1/2 Yardline for CSU, Eubanks had tackle
- On 3rd and goal from 1/2 Yardline for CSU, Eubanks had Ast Tackle
- On 4th and goal form 1/2 yardline for CSU, Eubanks stuffed hole and pushed runner back for another assist

Most impressive goal line stand I had seen in a long while.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 28th, 2019, 09:41 AM
Went through this thread in its entirety and saw almost all of you picked Austin Peay to beat ETSU. Hope none of you lost your shirt or worse on that. It just goes to show you one thing: bet against Randy Sanders at your own peril.

PaladinFan
September 28th, 2019, 11:42 AM
Went through this thread in its entirety and saw almost all of you picked Austin Peay to beat ETSU. Hope none of you lost your shirt or worse on that. It just goes to show you one thing: bet against Randy Sanders at your own peril.

Same team that lost to VMI, right?

Scrappy94
September 28th, 2019, 12:30 PM
Went through this thread in its entirety and saw almost all of you picked Austin Peay to beat ETSU. Hope none of you lost your shirt or worse on that. It just goes to show you one thing: bet against Randy Sanders at your own peril.V [emoji122] M [emoji122] I [emoji122] (which by the way, I happened to pick to beat etsu)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

gofurman
September 28th, 2019, 07:42 PM
I've watched Furman's offense four times this year, and the only team that came remotely close to slowing down the Paladin offense was Virginia Tech (who has superior size and athleticism). I'm really not sure how defenses are supposed to game plan for it.

The broadcast team noted during the game that Bobby Lamb had called Furman's offense four offenses rolled into one. I think that's probably accurate.

Well ETSU held us to the same amount as VT so unfortunately that’s one FCS team that has figured us out. I held off saying this last week but your never as good as you think you are when you win and not as bad as you think when
you lose ... or win ugly. Really just a CREDIT to ETSU defense - they had players