PDA

View Full Version : Villanova @ Towson

Gangtackle11
September 15th, 2019, 07:22 AM
#17 Villanova @ # 9 Towson - Saturday, September 21st 6:00pm

Gangtackle11
September 15th, 2019, 07:28 AM
My Wildcats are in the driver’s seat to win the Patriot League with wins over Colgate, Lehigh, & Bucknell. The combined records of those teams are 0-9 to date.

Time to put the big boy pants on & take the short trip south to Towson. Tigers are looking good after beating Maine 45-23 in Orono. Tigers are also 3-0 with wins over The Citadel & NC Central.

CHIP72
September 15th, 2019, 07:54 AM
Assuming I don’t have any travel issues (I’ll be in the greater Los Angeles area for a work-related trip the entire week and be flying back Friday night) or I’m not too worn out from my travel, I plan to attend this game as the back half of a doubleheader (with Penn/Delaware at 1 PM being the front end of the doubleheader).

The Towson game should be a good test for the Wildcats. With as bad as the Patriot League is right now, those games don’t really prepare Villanova for CAA play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 15th, 2019, 09:49 AM
Despite any CAA bias I may have, I really think this is the FCS Game of the Week this week. Villanova had a lot of injuries last year. They are still good and a serious darkhorse in the CAA this year at full strength. Meanwhile, is Towson for real or not? Certainly they are building a good resume, but taking on a healthy Villanova defense is a true measuring stick. I like the Tigers at home in a tightly contested battle. Towson leads early, Villanova toughens up, closes the gap, but Towson wins it late in the 4th Q.

I actually have Villanova rated higher in my AGS poll, but I am rooting for the Tigers to prove me wrong (I think).

Good luck to both teams!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 15th, 2019, 09:53 AM
Villanova has played one of the weakest schedules in FCS. To be fair, they've dominated the patsies which is all you can ask. A more battle tested Towson team at home seems like the better bet. Granted, I still don't trust Ambrose's teams completely. Even after a dominating road win over Top 10 Maine...

ElCid
September 15th, 2019, 10:22 AM
I actually have Villanova rated higher in my AGS poll, but I am rooting for the Tigers to prove me wrong (I think).

Me thinks you need to change your glasses. It isn't that big of a thing, but what is prompting it? Gut feeling? In week one I get, but we have history now.

Villanova 3-0 - Colgate (A+20), Lehigh (H+28), Bucknell (A+35) - Massey SOS FCS rank - 95 ... SOS rating is 17.95
Towson 3-0 - The Citadel (A+7), NC Cent (H+39), Maine (A+22) - Massey SOS FCS rank - 56 ... SOS rating is 27.75

I haven't seen all the other match ups yet, but it will be one of the better games in any event.

Gangtackle11
September 15th, 2019, 10:48 AM
I’m the 1st to admit that Nova definitely didn’t challenge their football program with this out of conference schedule. They ran roughshod over the Patsies outscoring Colgate, Lehigh, & Bucknell 117-34.

I have no idea if Nova is up to the stiff test of Towson on the road. I have been saying all along that they don’t deserved to be ranked until they start winning in the CAA. Does it start at Towson? Doubtful, but if they do somehow then it’s a clear signal to the CAA that they will be around for awhile. xpeacex

caribbeanhen
September 15th, 2019, 12:04 PM
So What did Towson do to improve after that crushing defeat to Duquense last year where the D looked soft?

Ivytalk
September 15th, 2019, 02:55 PM
Towson by 10+.

vutomcat
September 18th, 2019, 06:53 AM
Towson star Shane Simpson is out for the year with a torn ACL/MCL. Last year's Special Team Player of the year and led the offense so far this year with 162 yards and two touchdowns and 5 pass catches. He left the game against Maine early so it didn't hurt Towson last week, but it certainly doesn't help their depth at running back.

CenMEBlackBearFan
September 18th, 2019, 07:41 AM
So What did Towson do to improve after that crushing defeat to Duquense last year where the D looked soft?

Can't comment on their Defense as we moved the ball well but threw 4 interceptions and have not really established a run game as our offense seems to content to throw the ball all over the place, not an ideal offense.
What impressed me about Towson was their O-line very big and protected Flacco well. We had very little rush and when secondary had people covered Flacco burnt us by running. I am thinking Towson by 10 or so and if wrong Maine could have their hands full against Nova the following week. Thinking this week and the next will start to see who is a contender and who is a pretender.

Gangtackle11
September 18th, 2019, 11:27 AM
Line is Towson -3.5 (51 o/u)

Gangtackle11
September 19th, 2019, 05:59 PM
Villanova Game Notes:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/villanova.com/documents/2019/9/19/G4_Towson.pdf

Towson Game Notes:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/towsontigers.com/documents/2019/9/18/2019_Towson_FB_Game_Notes_Villanova_.pdf

Anthony215
September 20th, 2019, 07:42 AM
Towson will definitely miss Simpson but they do have some veterans in the waiting who should be able to step up and collectively hold it down. Flacco is probably their best rushing option but Thaerenet was named to the OVC All Newcomer team as a true freshman back in 2016 rushing for 700+ yards & 6 TDs. Just last week he ran it in for 4 TDs in the Tigers win over Maine. Kobe Young can't be forgotten either.

MR. CHICKEN
September 20th, 2019, 07:44 AM
....AH HEAR YA....TONY......GO TAGGERS.......AWK!

Gangtackle11
September 20th, 2019, 07:54 AM
Can't comment on their Defense as we moved the ball well but threw 4 interceptions and have not really established a run game as our offense seems to content to throw the ball all over the place, not an ideal offense.
What impressed me about Towson was their O-line very big and protected Flacco well. We had very little rush and when secondary had people covered Flacco burnt us by running. I am thinking Towson by 10 or so and if wrong Maine could have their hands full against Nova the following week. Thinking this week and the next will start to see who is a contender and who is a pretender.

Yes. Nova plays @Towson, Maine, @W&M, & @JMU next 4 Saturdays. I’d be happy with a split given the stiff competition. 1-3 we would have to run the table & 0-4 means another season where our annual last game victory will be our only highlight. Strap’em up boys it’s CAA time. xpeacex

Henny
September 20th, 2019, 08:28 AM
Cant wait to watch this game after I get back from the UD-Penn game. Great matchup of two dynamic QB's !

Gangtackle11
September 20th, 2019, 08:41 AM
Cant wait to watch this game after I get back from the UD-Penn game. Great matchup of two dynamic QB's !

Flacco is the king, but Daniel Smith is pretty good. Step up in competition from PL teams. This could be a crazy game if Smith can hang with Flacco on the scoreboard. I don’t see Nova defense stopping Flacco. Just hope he doesn’t go crazy. Nova defensive strength is in their DBs. Both corners are All-CAA quality. Big test here. xpeacex

CenMEBlackBearFan
September 20th, 2019, 09:23 AM
Flacco is the king, but Daniel Smith is pretty good. Step up in competition from PL teams. This could be a crazy game if Smith can hang with Flacco on the scoreboard. I don’t see Nova defense stopping Flacco. Just hope he doesn’t go crazy. Nova defensive strength is in their DBs. Both corners are All-CAA quality. Big test here. xpeacex

If you guys can keep Flacco from running, which Maine could not in the first half, and don't turn the ball over like Maine you have a chance. Maine threw 4 interceptions that all led to Towson scores. Saw interview with the Maine HC and he said Maine needs to establish the run game against Colgate. He thought Maine could just throw against Towson but when we needed short yardage with a run we didn't get it and settled for FG's. Maine's QB is #1 in the nation in yardage but that doesn't necessarily translate to W'sxrotatehx

Gangtackle11
September 20th, 2019, 09:42 AM
If you guys can keep Flacco from running, which Maine could not in the first half, and don't turn the ball over like Maine you have a chance. Maine threw 4 interceptions that all led to Towson scores. Saw interview with the Maine HC and he said Maine needs to establish the run game against Colgate. He thought Maine could just throw against Towson but when we needed short yardage with a run we didn't get it and settled for FG's. Maine's QB is #1 in the nation in yardage but that doesn't necessarily translate to W'sxrotatehx

I’d be surprised if Colgate gave you much of a test. Ferguson should have a field day unless he’s just a gunslinger prone to interceptions. Colgate doesn’t have the team speed to stay with your receivers. They aren’t close to the level of last year’s team. Imho. xpeacex

Gangtackle11
September 20th, 2019, 09:45 AM
26 out of 28 pick Towson yet the line is only 3.5 pts. Interesting very interesting. xpeacex

RootinFerDukes
September 20th, 2019, 11:09 AM
26 out of 28 pick Towson yet the line is only 3.5 pts. Interesting very interesting. xpeacex

Losing to Duquesne and blaming the rain is a powerful thing.

ngineer
September 20th, 2019, 07:34 PM
Towson star Shane Simpson is out for the year with a torn ACL/MCL. Last year's Special Team Player of the year and led the offense so far this year with 162 yards and two touchdowns and 5 pass catches. He left the game against Maine early so it didn't hurt Towson last week, but it certainly doesn't help their depth at running back.

Shame to hear that. Shane is from the Lehigh Valley--Easton Area High School Red Rovers. Had a great career for the Red, White and Black. Hope he gets back to 100%.

Meanwhile, I'm picking the Tigers based solely on quality of wins versus 'nova's . Towson, 28-24.

caribbeanhen
September 20th, 2019, 11:17 PM

I would say the only reason for that is Flacco, hard to pick against a playmaker like that, would not be shocked to see Nova pull it off though

CHIP72
September 21st, 2019, 05:27 PM
This game has already seen a 75 yard TD drive (VU), an 80 yard TD drive (TU), and a 78 yard TD drive (VU), and we’re only a little more than 7 minutes into the game!

CHIP72
September 21st, 2019, 06:12 PM
One note - I’m not a fan of Villanova’s all-white (including helmet) look. IMO, the Wildcats’ best road uniforms pair blue pants and the regular blue helmet with a white jersey.

CHIP72
September 21st, 2019, 08:37 PM
This game has been nuts.

VUCats02
September 21st, 2019, 08:38 PM
What an absolute insane game. The most impressive thing about this game for Nova is with all these TDs not one single missed XP. Not sure a kicker in Villanova history has made 7 XPs in a row.

MTfan4life
September 21st, 2019, 08:42 PM
3rd and 1 on the 8 yard line and they throw it twice?

VUCats02
September 21st, 2019, 08:46 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Nova football officially back?? Game of the year.

CenMEBlackBearFan
September 21st, 2019, 09:21 PM
Might be one of the best games ever,so many twists and turns. Nova with a 42-28 lead only to have Towson come back and take a 45-42 lead and a 4th and 10 from it's own 7 yd line and get the first down and get Nova to the 28 yd line and kicker for Nova hits a 45 yder to send it to OT. Nova wins it in OT 52-45 only after a review on a completion is ruled in complete and NOva wins a classic for sure.
Can only hope NOva is worn out or Maine could be in trouble next Saturday, really impressed with Dan Smith.

Schism55
September 21st, 2019, 09:44 PM
Towsons Offense is all world, their Defense is all toilet bowl.
Congrats Nova on a huge win xthumbsupx

VUCats02
September 21st, 2019, 09:46 PM
There’s definitely going to be emotional letdown factor at play next weekend. Great to have 3 road wins already this early in the season.

CHIP72
September 21st, 2019, 10:59 PM
What an absolute insane game. The most impressive thing about this game for Nova is with all these TDs not one single missed XP. Not sure a kicker in Villanova history has made 7 XPs in a row.

And a 45 YARD FIELD GOAL in the last 15 seconds of regulation to tie the game.

I couldn’t believe that Villanova actually had good kicking for once.

Gangtackle11
September 22nd, 2019, 01:04 AM
I haven’t voted Nova into the Top 25 all season, but I will this week. xpeacex