PDA

View Full Version : Ivy League Week 1 2019

bonarae
September 14th, 2019, 10:47 PM
... the 2019 Ivy football season has just begun!

Games:
Cornell at Marist
Penn at Delaware
Columbia at St. Francis (PA)
Holy Cross at Yale
Dartmouth at Jacksonville
Brown at Bryant
Harvard at San Diego
Butler at Princeton

My picks:
Cornell - Marist was able to sneak by Stetson.
Delaware - NDSU is the toughest opponent on the Blue Hens' schedule. Quackers are no NDSU but can still compete.
Columbia
Yale - toss-up
Dartmouth
Brown - Bryant is a shell of its old self?
Harvard - San Diego lost themselves in the second halves of their Big Sky games.
Princeton - Butler totally regressed since the Minneapolis showdown by getting a NAIA into OT and then losing into another NAIA. xsmhx

Ivytalk
September 15th, 2019, 07:12 AM
Cornell
Delaware
Columbia
San Diego (mild upset maybe)
Yale
Brown (maybe their only win all year)
Dartmouth
Princeton

I really don’t care much about Ivy League FB anymore. Is the screen name “IvyBison” taken?:D

Son of Eli
September 15th, 2019, 08:45 AM
Cornell
Delaware
Columbia
Yale
Dartmouth
Brown
Harvard
Princeton

bulldog10jw
September 15th, 2019, 11:04 AM
It's about time

Go Green
September 16th, 2019, 07:59 AM
All Ivies except Penn.

bulldog10jw
September 16th, 2019, 12:54 PM
Cornell
Delaware
Columbia
Yale
Dartmouth
Brown
Harvard
Princeton

Agree

Model Citizen
September 16th, 2019, 01:21 PM
PETA will file a protest after the Toreros leave Harvard bleeding in the stadium.

Sitting Bull
September 16th, 2019, 02:22 PM
Nice to see the Ivy starting though that's a weak OOC schedule launch. The only games of moderate interest and tradition would be HC/Yale and Penn/Delaware.

Go Green
September 16th, 2019, 02:31 PM
Nice to see the Ivy starting though that's a weak OOC schedule launch. The only games of moderate interest and tradition would be HC/Yale and Penn/Delaware.

Most of the Ivy's traditional opponents are off to unimpressive starts this season. So I doubt scheduling the usual PL teams or UNH would be any more impressive...

caribbeanhen
September 16th, 2019, 02:51 PM
All Ivies except Penn.

I don't remember any Penn fans on here... are they really Ivy League? anyone know anything about Penn?

Sitting Bull
September 16th, 2019, 04:02 PM
Most of the Ivy's traditional opponents are off to unimpressive starts this season. So I doubt scheduling the usual PL teams or UNH would be any more impressive...

Agree the PL is off to a very slow start - though it seems many there are actually playing up, teams the Ivy should be playing: Navy, Air Force, W&M, Villanova, Richmond, Army, etc.

It looks like the Ivy has substituted the Pioneer for the Patriot. No way I would see that as the same, regardless of the Patriot's poor start. And most of these games are on the road in stadiums that more resemble high school stadiums, not to mention the travel (Jacksonville, San Diego, etc). That's a steep fall. There's nothing below the Pioneer except D2.

crusader11
September 16th, 2019, 04:53 PM
I suspect that HC v. Yale will be the most competitive game of the weekend. I like Yale to win by one or two scores though as our offense won’t be able to score enough to keep up.

One offensive touchdown in eight quarters of football. Not good!

bulldog10jw
September 16th, 2019, 05:22 PM
I suspect that HC v. Yale will be the most competitive game of the weekend. I like Yale to win by one or two scores though as our offense won’t be able to score enough to keep up.

One offensive touchdown in eight quarters of football. Not good!

I think you're correct. This should be a competitive game. While Yale's offense should be very good the defense, at this point, is an unknown.

Go Green
September 16th, 2019, 05:37 PM
Agree the PL is off to a very slow start - though it seems many there are actually playing up, teams the Ivy should be playing: Navy, Air Force, W&M, Villanova, Richmond, Army, etc.

It looks like the Ivy has substituted the Pioneer for the Patriot. No way I would see that as the same, regardless of the Patriot's poor start. And most of these games are on the road in stadiums that more resemble high school stadiums, not to mention the travel (Jacksonville, San Diego, etc). That's a steep fall. There's nothing below the Pioneer except D2.

Dartmouth, Yale, and Princeton (and maybe Penn) all have games that are expected to be against tougher competition on future schedules.

At present, Dartmouth's slate of Jacksonville, Marist, and Colgate could be our weakest OOC schedule since the days of playing Norwich, Bates, and Amherst. All three teams are weaker than expected this season.

caribbeanhen
September 16th, 2019, 06:21 PM
Dartmouth, Yale, and Princeton (and maybe Penn) all have games that are expected to be against tougher competition on future schedules.

At present, Dartmouth's slate of Jacksonville, Marist, and Colgate could be our weakest OOC schedule since the days of playing Norwich, Bates, and Amherst. All three teams are weaker than expected this season.

Jacksonville has gone to the Triple Option and looked real bad in the few minutes I saw them

bulldog10jw
September 16th, 2019, 07:43 PM

Yale's OOC games are Holy Cross, Fordham, and Richmond. Not terrible.

Son of Eli
September 16th, 2019, 07:52 PM

You are correct that the Ivy League looked to replace the Patriot League with the Pioneer League as opponents once the Patriot League announced it was going to Athletic Scholarships. I think that was around 2013.

The subsequent years have proven that the Ivy League had nothing to fear from the Patriot League’s move. In fact, the opposite has happened, as the Ivy League is now well above the Patriot League. These Pioneer League opponents were scheduled around five or more years ago. I doubt there will be many more such games after a few years pass, save for maybe San Diego.

I have long argued against the Ivy League playing Pioneer League teams. I prefer to stick with the Patriot and the CAA as our primary OOC opponents. I have also been a staunch proponent of returning FBS competition to the Ivy League schedule. I was delighted to see Yale beat Army in 2014 and I’m looking forward to seeing Princeton play Army next year and Dartmouth play Army in 2024.

Go Green
September 16th, 2019, 08:03 PM
Jacksonville has gone to the Triple Option and looked real bad in the few minutes I saw them

They were losing most of the game to Presbyterian this past Saturday before avoiding disaster and pulling out the victory.

caribbeanhen
September 16th, 2019, 08:08 PM
They were losing most of the game to Presbyterian this past Saturday before avoiding disaster and pulling out the victory.

all underwater for the Dolphin since Kerwin Bell departed

DFW HOYA
September 16th, 2019, 08:11 PM

Patriot League is 3-16 vs. Div. I opposition this season, 1-11 on the road.

Go Green
September 17th, 2019, 05:34 AM
Patriot League is 3-16 vs. Div. I opposition this season, 1-11 on the road.

Ah, but many PL alums (at least Holy Cross alums) are totally fine with getting their asses handed to them by the likes of BC and Navy. Drives up excitement among the alumni base, fattens the athletic budget, helps with recruiting, etc. etc.

And no -- I don't buy it either. :)

Son of Eli
September 17th, 2019, 05:38 AM
Ah, but many PL alums (at least Holy Cross alums) are totally fine with getting their asses handed to them by the likes of BC and Navy. Drives up excitement among the alumni base, fattens the athletic budget, helps with recruiting, etc. etc.

I would love be to see those familiar foes return to Yale’s schedule. I watched Yale beat a strong Navy team 23-19 in 1981 on ABC. Al Michaels was calling the game. Game was at the Yale Bowl and attendance was 38,000 on a cloudy day. The Ivy League has returned to that strength. It might even be better today.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HTLbckCetN4

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SjvTxQAXqiE

Go Green
September 17th, 2019, 07:07 AM
I would love be to see those familiar foes return to Yale’s schedule. I watched Yale beat a strong Navy team 23-19 in 1981 on ABC. Al Michaels was calling the game. Game was at the Yale Bowl and attendance was 38,000 on a cloudy day. The Ivy League has returned to that strength. It might even be better today.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HTLbckCetN4

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SjvTxQAXqiE

Beat Holy Cross convincingly, and we can probably agree that Yale can hold their own against Navy.

If the game is close or Yale loses, not so much.

Sitting Bull
September 17th, 2019, 10:55 AM

Not really a fair analogy. You could just as easily get your ass handed to you by the Jacksonville Dolphins in front of 2,000 fans in a high school level stadium. HC on the other hand played in tradition rich Annapolis in front of 30,000, a great venue, and played a more competitive game with Navy than conference foe, East Carolina. It's the company you keep.

Sorry, but I can't see any HC fan that would rather have your schedule.

Go Green
September 17th, 2019, 11:25 AM
Not really a fair analogy. You could just as easily get your ass handed to you by the Jacksonville Dolphins in front of 2,000 fans in a high school level stadium. HC on the other hand played in tradition rich Annapolis in front of 30,000, a great venue, and played a more competitive game with Navy than conference foe, East Carolina. It's the company you keep.

Sorry, but I can't see any HC fan that would rather have your schedule.

Some think it's wins and losses. As DFW astutely pointed out a page earlier, the PL has a LOT more of the latter than the former. And if the PL is fine with that, then who am I to discourage them from continuing with the status quo?

We will see how HC does against Yale on Saturday. I read this morning on Big Green Alert that the offshore bookies have Yale by 12.

SUPharmacist
September 19th, 2019, 08:07 AM
Cornell
Delaware
Columbia
Yale
Dartmouth
Brown
Harvard
Princeton

jayhawkdaddy
September 19th, 2019, 10:24 AM
Games:
Cornell
Delaware
Columbia
Yale
Dartmouth
Brown
Harvard
Princeton

RichH2
September 19th, 2019, 10:52 AM
Cornell a cupcake start
UD over Penn. Quakers will give Hens a game but they are no NDSU
Columbia over SFU This will be closer than many think. First game rust will give SFU a shot
Dartmouth
Harvard
Brown
Princeton

Game of the week a toss up.
Crusaders are tough on D. Yale has a major edge in talent and should get the W.

Sader87
September 19th, 2019, 11:03 AM
Cornel
Delaware
Columbia
HC
Dartmouth
Bryant
San Diego
Princeton

Ivytalk
September 19th, 2019, 03:50 PM
Cornel
Delaware
Columbia
HC
Dartmouth
Bryant
San Diego
Princeton
Sadah the homah!:D

Lehigh Football Nation
September 19th, 2019, 05:08 PM
My picks:

https://www.college-sports-journal.com/college-sports-journal-ivy-league-previews-week-of-9-21-2019/

Two observations:

1) People seem to think Columbia is going to steamroll SFU. They won't, and I have SFU winning.
2) Yale is going to at least double up Holy Cross.

Sader87
September 19th, 2019, 06:04 PM
Yale won't score 40+ on HC.....I see a defensive battle

crusader11
September 19th, 2019, 08:44 PM
Yale won't score 40+ on HC.....I see a defensive battle

Agree. Feels like a 20-10 kind of game, in favor of Yale.

HC's defense is pretty legit this year.

97Torero
September 20th, 2019, 11:53 PM
Toreros get their first win over Harvard.

CHIP72
September 21st, 2019, 12:49 PM
Penn is tied with Delaware 7-7 early in the 2nd quarter. The Quakers have outplayed the Blue Hens since a slow start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crusader11
September 21st, 2019, 02:58 PM
And midway through the 4th the score is...

bulldog10jw
September 21st, 2019, 03:42 PM
And midway through the 4th the score is...

Good call

Son of Eli
September 21st, 2019, 06:01 PM

Good call.

- - - Updated - - -

Good call.

Lol. Just saw your post.

bonarae
September 21st, 2019, 08:55 PM
Apologies, I wasn't able to watch any game on my streaming subscription. xbawlingx

Final Scores:
Cornell 21, Marist 7
Delaware 28, Penn 27
Dartmouth 35, Jacksonville 6
Columbia 31, Red Flash 14
Yale 23, Holy Cross 10
Brown 35, Bryant 30
San Diego 31, Harvard 23
Princeton 49, Butler 7

Question: Could this be Murphy's final season in Allston?

Ivytalk
September 21st, 2019, 09:32 PM
Apologies, I wasn't able to watch any game on my streaming subscription. xbawlingx

Final Scores:
Cornell 21, Marist 7
Delaware 28, Penn 27
Dartmouth 35, Jacksonville 6
Columbia 31, Red Flash 14
Yale 23, Holy Cross 10
Brown 35, Bryant 30
San Diego 31, Harvard 23
Princeton 49, Butler 7

Murphy will coach as long as he likes. You’re probably too young to remember that Joe Restic had precisely one winning record in his last 8 seasons, including three 3-7 seasons and one 2-8 season, and nobody fired him.

bulldog10jw
September 21st, 2019, 09:42 PM
Murphy will coach as long as he likes. You’re probably too young to remember that Joe Restic had precisely one winning record in his last 8 seasons, including three 3-7 seasons and one 2-8 season, and nobody fired him.

How old is Murph

Go Green
September 21st, 2019, 09:43 PM

No.

Even setting aside past success... everyone agrees that his last two recruiting classes have been among his best.

And that's saying something.

Son of Eli
September 21st, 2019, 10:00 PM
No.

Even setting aside past success... everyone agrees that his last two recruiting classes have been among his best.

And that's saying something.

That may be so but I’m taking Brown next week.

Ivytalk
September 22nd, 2019, 05:50 AM
How old is Murph
Almost 63.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 22nd, 2019, 09:09 AM
7-1 this week but pretty proud of my picks. Picked USD beating Harvard, and Penn giving Delaware a game. Only blemish was taking SFPA over Columbia, where SFPA's special teams did them in and their starting QB getting hurt and coming out.

Go Green
September 22nd, 2019, 09:21 AM
That may be so but I’m taking Brown next week.

Ouch!

Then again, when Georgetown convincingly beat Brown in the 2014 opener people thought that was the beginning of the end of the Phil Estes era.

And they were right. It was.

Son of Eli
September 22nd, 2019, 10:23 AM
A severe injury like the paralysis case Harvard suffered two seasons ago can adversely effect a team for years.

Ivytalk
September 22nd, 2019, 10:27 AM
7-1 this week but pretty proud of my picks. Picked USD beating Harvard, and Penn giving Delaware a game. Only blemish was taking SFPA over Columbia, where SFPA's special teams did them in and their starting QB getting hurt and coming out.
8-0 out of the chute, Mr. Wizard!:D