PDA

View Full Version : Towson #8 @ Maine #7

CenMEBlackBearFan
September 12th, 2019, 11:42 AM
After last year's great finnish at Towson where Maine won 35-28 and Sterling Sheffield made a game saving tackle on at 2 yard line this one seems to have everything to make it a repeat of that game. Maine's QB Ferguson can hopefully match Tom Flacco and these two teams could be throwing the ball all over the place. Weather is calling for a chance of a shower so that should not slow this one down. So far Maine's running game is not where it was last year not that have tried to use it that much but that might change Saturday nite. Here is the overview from UMaines sports department.
https://goblackbears.com/news/2019/9/11/preview-7-8-maine-hosts-8-8-towson-in-caa-opener.aspx?path=football

TheKingpin28
September 12th, 2019, 02:52 PM
Poll?

jmufan999
September 12th, 2019, 06:34 PM
the winning QB will be the frontrunner for CAA POY, assuming they play to their abilities.

CenMEBlackBearFan
September 12th, 2019, 07:09 PM
Very good article from hero sports about this game. Have to agree that this year is crucial to Maine being a top contender by having good back to back years and not just a one hit wonder and relying on defense for wins. This could be the year that both offense and defense are very good.xnodx
https://herosports.com/fcs/football-2019-caa-football-maine-towson-charlton-preview-cici?fbclid=IwAR0QxAQFVsfOt_f2e7Dib1CGOe3KvlJI5yxo FW-3kq0wBZYiqZYYhyJd5-c

Redbird 4th & short
September 13th, 2019, 12:22 PM
Still can't figure out what Towson has done to warrant so much love this early in season. The finished 7-5 last year against #28 SOS, losing by 3 TDs to Duquense team in playin round .. same Duquense that next lost 51-6 to SDSU in round of 16.

Yet Towson gets top 10 to start the season ????

smilo
September 13th, 2019, 12:55 PM
Still can't figure out what Towson has done to warrant so much love this early in season. The finished 7-5 last year against #28 SOS, losing by 3 TDs to Duquense team in playin round .. same Duquense that next lost 51-6 to SDSU in round of 16.

If you throw the Duquesne game out due to "weather", it makes a little more sense. That's the benefit of the doubt that every voter is giving them, and if you refuse the accept that premise, you aren't going to get an answer you like - 11 other solid games to judge them on. I don't think this is a top 10 team at year-end, but I think there is a gap after the top 7 and you have to fill in spots. Probably around 15 and undoubtedly going to be a 7-5/8-4 type team again with potentially better playoff opportunities.

They defeated top 10 Villanova on the road, 2 weeks removed from Temple and before all the injuries hit eliminating all offensive threats. Towson absolutely killed a ranked playoff team in Stony Brook. They decimated Elon on the road with the caveat that Elon was severely shorthanded, but a 31 point victory against #5 is somewhat impressive nonetheless. Further, they only lost to elite teams in the regular season plus a bubble in team on the road on the last drive.

There is just no one in the 10-15 range I can seriously put them behind just yet, except Furman, which my poll is much higher on than AGS. I think the Montana schools could catch up, but the results have been just as mixed. As it is your team, do you think you can put Illinois State ahead of them? That love seems just as far-fetched based on PY results, and any slip up may cause them to fall out completely.

I'm going for the home team to pull out this one.

CenMEBlackBearFan
September 13th, 2019, 01:09 PM

I believe when they played the Dukes their line was heavy on injuries. Let's admit it until we get into league games it is hard to tell who is a contender and who is a pretender. Maine who lost their best defenseman Deshaun Stevens for the season with an achilles tear and another LB Jason Grayer is a game time decision so Maine looks a little vulnerable on D. Looking forward to Manny Patterson try to stop Towson's best receiver which I guess is Shane Simpson?

Gangtackle11
September 13th, 2019, 04:32 PM
I believe when they played the Dukes their line was heavy on injuries. Let's admit it until we get into league games it is hard to tell who is a contender and who is a pretender. Maine who lost their best defenseman Deshaun Stevens for the season with an achilles tear and another LB Jason Grayer is a game time decision so Maine looks a little vulnerable on D. Looking forward to Manny Patterson try to stop Towson's best receiver which I guess is Shane Simpson?

Simpson is their RB. Leatherbury is their talented WR named Shane. xpeacex

CenMEBlackBearFan
September 13th, 2019, 07:08 PM
Simpson is their RB. Leatherbury is their talented WR named Shane. xpeacex

They are both Shanes and you are right Leatherbury is the WR and Simpson is the RB, thanks for the clarification.
Anyone find it a little strange that Towson is getting to Orono, ME via a bus???
It's only 640 miles and 10 hours, must be a killer ride home especially in a loss. xnodx

KPSUL
September 13th, 2019, 07:15 PM
Maine plays particularly tough at home. Towson is not a particularly tough team. Maine by 14 points.

Redbird 4th & short
September 14th, 2019, 08:34 AM
If you throw the Duquesne game out due to "weather", it makes a little more sense. That's the benefit of the doubt that every voter is giving them, and if you refuse the accept that premise, you aren't going to get an answer you like - 11 other solid games to judge them on. I don't think this is a top 10 team at year-end, but I think there is a gap after the top 7 and you have to fill in spots. Probably around 15 and undoubtedly going to be a 7-5/8-4 type team again with potentially better playoff opportunities.

They defeated top 10 Villanova on the road, 2 weeks removed from Temple and before all the injuries hit eliminating all offensive threats. Towson absolutely killed a ranked playoff team in Stony Brook. They decimated Elon on the road with the caveat that Elon was severely shorthanded, but a 31 point victory against #5 is somewhat impressive nonetheless. Further, they only lost to elite teams in the regular season plus a bubble in team on the road on the last drive.

There is just no one in the 10-15 range I can seriously put them behind just yet, except Furman, which my poll is much higher on than AGS. I think the Montana schools could catch up, but the results have been just as mixed. As it is your team, do you think you can put Illinois State ahead of them? That love seems just as far-fetched based on PY results, and any slip up may cause them to fall out completely.

I'm going for the home team to pull out this one.

Duquense had to play in same weather, so maybe conditions favored their game over yours .. but it was same for both and it was a 31-10 convincing margin. As for the 11 other games, Massey puts their SOS at #28 and still only managed 7-4 record .... pretty good, but not top 10 .. that is a playoff bubble resume, not a top 10 resume.

Last thing ... combined with the very deserved early season top 10 love that JMU and Maine are getting, does Colonial really deserve 3 top 10 teams after last years playoff performance ? It's not the first time Colonial got too many playoff teams and laid an egg as a result. The we rinse, repeat all over again a year later. MVFC will take some of that unconditional love ... I think we've more than proved ourselves ini playoffs since 2011.

The unconditional love that Colonial gets year after year, regardless of being after years in which they clearly underperform, is getting old. I am on a mission this regular season to make this clear to anyone who will listen .. including AGS pollsters and the guy from STATS.

Maybe Towson is a top 10 team, but at this point, even moreso some of the preseason polls, it just makes no sense. So I'm not begrudging them or predicting they won't have a top 10 season ... just the unconditional love at this point. UNI has much better track record, but had to nearly beat a #21 FBS team (3 OTs no less) to get that early season love. Towson has beaten two 0-2 unranked FCS teams ... 1 by just 7 points.

CenMEBlackBearFan
September 14th, 2019, 09:36 AM
Dude, we have played 2 games. Let things shake out like they always do. But thanks for making me feel less concerned about Towsonxnodx.
Flacco and any QB who can run and throw always has the ability to give defenses fits. Hoping we take away his top threat WR w/all American Manny Patterson and not allow Flacco to beat us with his running ability. Weather called for light rain but looks like it should be over by 5pm.

CenMEBlackBearFan
September 14th, 2019, 09:40 AM
Nice article about players from both teams renewing their rivalry.
https://bangordailynews.com/2019/09/14/sports/umaine-sports/umaine-towson-players-renew-rivalry-in-battle-of-top-10-fcs-football-teams/

Redbird 4th & short
September 14th, 2019, 10:20 AM
Dude, we have played 2 games. Let things shake out like they always do. But thanks for making me feel less concerned about Towsonxnodx.
Flacco and any QB who can run and throw always has the ability to give defenses fits. Hoping we take away his top threat WR w/all American Manny Patterson and not allow Flacco to beat us with his running ability. Weather called for light rain but looks like it should be over by 5pm.
that's my point, they've only played 2 games, nothing special in either game at all .. beat 2 weak teams, their SOS ranks #92 so far. So how are they top 10 ?

So someone will win and someone will lose ... so winner can say, "look at us, we just beat a top 10 team, maybe we deserve top 5". Loser can say, "don't drop us in ranking, we just lost to top 10 team who might be top 5 team". Then next week Towson will play Villanova .... if Villanova wins, they can claim, "hey, we just beat a top 10, so we deserve top 10". Then by end of year, we'll have 5 or 6 Colonial teams in playoffs again.

Just trying to understand why Towson is getting so much love so early with 2 unimpressive wins. It just is not a top 10 resume ... much ess #8 meaning they would be a top 8 seed in theory. Just makes no sense at this point that Colonial would have 3 top 8 seeds based on where things stand today.

I get that things shake out eventually ... but if no one points out the flaws until selection committee makes their decisions, it's way too late at that point.

Gangtackle11
September 14th, 2019, 10:38 AM
Points are valid, but unfortunately none will be proved out until the playoffs. The CAA will most like get 3-4 teams in the playoffs and will need to repair last season’s 1st round debacles especially Towson’s home blow out loss to Duquesne.

You can keep writing your thesis here, but if Towson keeps winning it will fall on deaf ear.

I don’t think you will get your points satisfied during the regular season unless Towson stumbles in the CAA. xpeacex

Redbird 4th & short
September 14th, 2019, 11:00 AM
Points are valid, but unfortunately none will be proved out until the playoffs. The CAA will most like get 3-4 teams in the playoffs and will need to repair last season’s 1st round debacles especially Towson’s home blow out loss to Duquesne.

You can keep writing your thesis here, but if Towson keeps winning it will fall on deaf ear.

I don’t think you will get your points satisfied during the regular season unless Towson stumbles in the CAA. xpeacex

all very true .. but I'm not predicting Towson is not a top 10 team. I'm only saying they've done very little to earn a #8 ranking at this point. They are off to so so start, not a top 8 seed start.

Obviously, they've got a good QB but their run game looks pretty weak so far ... struggled both games to run the ball. Defensively, Citadel ran all over them, and a very weak NC Central (3-6 in D-I games) played them "ok" statistically ... 2 early picks (1 pick 6 and 1 in red zone) turned game into easy rout early, but statistically it was not a 42-3 game.

Hard to win consistently without a run game and lockdown defense. Although as I sau that, my ISUr does both well and still can't get over 6-5 hump.

Anyways, Towson might be a top 10 team ... but they should have to earn it first.

Gangtackle11
September 14th, 2019, 11:36 AM
all very true .. but I'm not predicting Towson is not a top 10 team. I'm only saying they've done very little to earn a #8 ranking at this point. They are off to so so start, not a top 8 seed start.

Obviously, they've got a good QB but their run game looks pretty weak so far ... struggled both games to run the ball. Defensively, Citadel ran all over them, and a very weak NC Central (3-6 in D-I games) played them "ok" statistically ... 2 early picks (1 pick 6 and 1 in red zone) turned game into easy rout early, but statistically it was not a 42-3 game.

Hard to win consistently without a run game and lockdown defense. Although as I sau that, my ISUr does both well and still can't get over 6-5 hump.

Anyways, Towson might be a top 10 team ... but they should have to earn it first.

If their jersey said Western Illinois would u think the same? Just asking... Stats are very misleading sometimes especially if the dominant team scores quickly or on defense. The losing team often has comparable stats because they win time of possession, etc. Could be why some say “Stats are for losers”.

I side with Al Davis philosophy of “Just Win Baby”

Bottomline 42-3 is an arse whooping. Stats or no stats. xpeacex

Gangtackle11
September 14th, 2019, 11:44 AM
This game is going to tell a lot. Away win against a top 10 team has to be a good thing as would it be bad if blown out. xpeacex

Redbird 4th & short
September 14th, 2019, 12:16 PM
If their jersey said Western Illinois would u think the same? Just asking... Stats are very misleading sometimes especially if the dominant team scores quickly or on defense. The losing team often has comparable stats because they win time of possession, etc. Could be why some say “Stats are for losers”.

I side with Al Davis philosophy of “Just Win Baby”

Bottomline 42-3 is an arse whooping. Stats or no stats. xpeacex

well .. since much of my underlying point/argument is that MVFC deserves more love and Colonial deserves less ... so given WIU plays a top 5 schedule almost every year .. tough in conf and OOC .. so no, to be honest, I would not think the same of a team like WIU ... (putting aside they appear to be weak this year) as I do of a program like Towson, at this point in season. That said, this year, Towson looks to be better than WIU ... but not the prior 4 years or so .. so this year, I have not be defending WIU, even before their loss to UNA ... maybe a better comparison is team like YSU. So yes, I would be more inclined this year to give YSU the benefit of doubt over Towson 2 games into season ... and I could be wrong.

Good debate though.

CenMEBlackBearFan
September 14th, 2019, 12:30 PM
Ouch, I think I have a headache. If only there was a Towson fan to defend themselvesxeyebrowx. Anyways, truck is almost packed ready to hit the road, sausage peppers and onions tonite.xdrunkyx
GO MAINE !!!!!

ElCid
September 14th, 2019, 03:11 PM
Towson has beaten two 0-2 unranked FCS teams ... 1 by just 7 points.

We can modify this to "Towson has beaten one team who is 1-2, including a P5 scalp and loses to two ranked teams by one score, including one on the road where the Dogs were on the road for almost a week due to the hurricane evac" Towson is pretty good. They were on my top 10 fringe in preseason. And I know we are better than our record indicates so yeah, a one score victory over us was about right all the way around. I think it may be a close game tonight, but Maine will probably squeek it out.

caribbeanhen
September 14th, 2019, 07:36 PM
what is with the Winged Helmet...

ccd494
September 14th, 2019, 07:40 PM
what is with the Winged Helmet...

Maine is inducting the 1965 team into the athletic hall of fame this weekend. That team wore a winged helmet.

ccd494
September 14th, 2019, 07:42 PM
Also, fun fact, Maine's use of the winged helmet predates Delaware's:

Dave Nelson played for Crisler at Michigan and adopted the helmet logo when he became the coach at Hillsdale College in Michigan, then took it to Harvard University and finally to UMaine in 1949.Then, when Nelson was hired to coach at the University of Delaware in 1951, he again implemented the logo for the Blue Hens, which have used it ever since.

UMaine discontinued use of the winged helmet logo in the 1970s.

ElCid
September 14th, 2019, 08:37 PM

How about now?

mainejeff
September 14th, 2019, 08:58 PM
Fun fact: Maine will never use the winged helmet again.

Schism55
September 14th, 2019, 09:01 PM
Towson straight up puttin a clown suit on Maine in there own house...impressive

caribbeanhen
September 14th, 2019, 09:04 PM
Also, fun fact, Maine's use of the winged helmet predates Delaware's:

good stuff

UIWWildthing
September 14th, 2019, 09:20 PM
Not a top 10 team they said. Maine would win in a easy one they said...

TSU86
September 14th, 2019, 09:37 PM
Wow--great game Tigers. Hope Simpson isn't hurt too badly

Redbird 4th & short
October 19th, 2019, 10:24 AM
well these "I told you so's" after Towson pounded Maine in week 3 did not age very well ... xdrunkyx ... Towson now 3-3 and Maine is now 2-4. And according to Massey Composite of 42 polls as of today, Towson is #26 and Maine is #63.

Single data points 3 weeks into season mean very little.

Granted, it has been an up and down year for a lot of top 20 teams.

CenMEBlackBearFan
October 19th, 2019, 01:06 PM
well these "I told you so's" after Towson pounded Maine in week 3 did not age very well ... xdrunkyx ... Towson now 3-3 and Maine is now 2-4. And according to Massey Composite of 42 polls as of today, Towson is #26 and Maine is #63.

Single data points 3 weeks into season mean very little.

Granted, it has been an up and down year for a lot of top 20 teams.

NO _hit sherlock, that at week 3 rankings mean little. Last year Maine was not on anyone's radar at week #3 and finished #4 in the country, go figure. It all works out by end of the season.

Redbird 4th & short
October 30th, 2019, 02:29 PM
NO _hit sherlock, that at week 3 rankings mean little. Last year Maine was not on anyone's radar at week #3 and finished #4 in the country, go figure. It all works out by end of the season.
Missed this response .. did you just take MY exact point to other posters and beat me over the head with it ??

Like I needed a lesson on my point ?