PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Pick 'em - Week 3

carney2
September 10th, 2019, 01:22 PM
I didn't want to get involved in this, but it's getting late.

Week 3 Games

Saturday, Sept. 14 Time (all times ET)

Catholic at Georgetown (PLN/WDCW) Noon
Sacred Heart at Lafayette (PLN/LSN) 12:30 p.m.
Fordham at Bryant (NEC) 1 p.m.
Villanova at Bucknell (PLN) 6 p.m.
Colgate at William & Mary (Flo) 6 p.m.
Lehigh at UC Davis (Pluto) 10 p.m.

RichH2
September 10th, 2019, 02:15 PM
Thanks.
FWIW. Massey picks
Hoyas. 49-0
SHU. 24-17
Rams. 33-31
Gate. 21-14
Nova. 36-7
UCD. 45-10
Hoping for a better week for the PL

Fordham
September 10th, 2019, 02:31 PM
Gtown
Sacred Heart
Fordham
'Nova
W&M
UC Davis

Sader87
September 10th, 2019, 03:45 PM
Missed ya Carney.....welcome back

TheValleyRaider
September 10th, 2019, 04:24 PM
Welcome back carney, even under the adverse circumstances provided by following the Pards. Went 5-1 last week, good performance to build on. 9-5 so far, so plenty of room to improve.

Catholic at Georgetown Georgetown I'm not going to belabor the point too much. I know Hoya fans don't want this game, but here it is. Positive view says this represents a chance for the Hoyas to build off last week's win and maybe generate some positive momentum going forward. Rosy? Probably, but just win.

Sacred Heart at Lafayette Sacred Heart I don't like making this pick, but why pick against the Pioneers right now? SHU was last seen beating up Bucknell, and I haven't seen anything yet to suggest the Leopards are better. Being in Easton might help, but I've got to see to believe.

Fordham at Bryant Fordham Taking a bit of a risk here, but the Bulldogs have put up just one touchdown through two games so far. The Rams can at least score, and nearly took out an NEC contender in Central Connecticut. Bryant won this one in the Bronx last year, but I think this is a game the Rams really need if you want to feel they're moving in the right direction.

Villanova at Bucknell Villanova The Wildcats go for the PL sweep, and this is likely the softest of the stretch. The Bison have to this point looked punchless on offense, and not good enough defensively to get into a slugfest. Nova is probably better than Sacred Heart, and might be as good as Temple.

Colgate at William & Mary Colgate Raiders have had an extra week to think about their start so far. Beyond the fact, that is, that it hasn't been good at all. The Tribe may be a CAA team, but are a step down in quality from Villanova and Air Force. Mike London may well turn this program around, and they'll certainly be looking at this game as a potential benchmark, but I like the 'Gate in the Win column against the team that let Lafayette hang around.

Lehigh at UC Davis UC Davis Speaking of ramping up schedule intensity (this is really a follow-on from the Bucknell paragraph), Lehigh goes from hanging-around-the-rankings Villanova to Top-10 UC Davis. Aggies might be showing some cracks compared to preseason expectations, but even a step back from this quarterfinalist still leaves a too-large gap for the Hawks to close this year.

van
September 10th, 2019, 04:53 PM
Georgetown, should not be close
Lafayette, Pards showing some life and at home they may just squeak out a win
Fordham, rams getting their act together in the Bronx
Villanova, Buffs not getting their act together
Colgate, bye week to fix a few things
UC Davis, really big challenge for a young squad to go the the left coast and face a quality team

bonarae
September 10th, 2019, 05:17 PM
Georgetown
Sacred Heart
Bryant
Villanova
W&M
UC Davis

DFW HOYA
September 10th, 2019, 06:21 PM
Catholic at Georgetown Georgetown I'm not going to belabor the point too much. I know Hoya fans don't want this game, but here it is. Positive view says this represents a chance for the Hoyas to build off last week's win and maybe generate some positive momentum going forward. Rosy? Probably, but just win.

I wonder if the view would have been around here had Tom Gilmore scheduled Moravian this week after UC-Davis cut the contract.

Bill
September 10th, 2019, 08:31 PM
I wonder if the view would have been around here had Tom Gilmore scheduled Moravian this week after UC-Davis cut the contract.

SUPharmacist
September 10th, 2019, 09:40 PM
Georgetown
Sacred Heart
Fordham
Villanova
William & Mary
UC Davis

carney2
September 11th, 2019, 08:10 AM
Catholic at Georgetown – The Hoyas in a mismatch. Whoda ever thunk?!

Sacred Heart at Lafayette – I don’t think that SHUis quite as good as Monmouth, so maybe the PL has a chance here. Still, a team with a negative running game isa threat to lose on Any Given Saturday.

Fordham at Bryant – I never like Bryant. And I shouldn’t like the Rams.

Villanova at Bucknell - Cecchini will not walk on water this year.

Colgate at William & Mary – If ‘gate is ever going to move forward this is the time. Butit’s the Patsies against the CAA.

Lehigh at UC Davis – Orders for tar and feathers are beginning to pile up on South Mountain. When Cecchini finally beats his alma mater (not this year), the lid will blow off this powder keg.

PAllen
September 11th, 2019, 10:44 AM

Moravian would draw more local interest than Central Connecticut State University or even UC Davis

ngineer
September 11th, 2019, 12:03 PM
Moravian would draw more local interest than Central Connecticut State University or even UC Davis

Tru dat!

ngineer
September 11th, 2019, 12:21 PM
Hoyas will not need any "hail Marys" this week...56-7

Leotards might, could, squeak one out, but they've been constipated so long they may have forgotten how. SHU-nuf, 31-24

Fordham digs Anita who takes no offense. Payback for Rams, 24-14.

Things get tougher for Bison with no chips to cash in. Not a super nova, but Wildcats' star is rising. Villanova, 42-10.

Big game for 'gate to see how they bounce back from two solid losses. The mediocrity of the CAA versus the elite of the Patsies...Should be close. At home I go with 'gate; but down in Williamsburg I give the Tribe the "3 point" home field advantage, 20-17.

Mountain Hawks take a 2,500 mile flight to replay their 1977 NCAA semi-final victory over UCD. A different era with Lehigh in the unfamiliar territory of 'rebuilding'. Aggies showed great potential in last fall's playoffs and played Cal-Berkley tough, in their opener, but what happened with USD? Are they "looking ahead" to next week's big visit to North Dakota State? I am sure their coaches are getting them focused and Lehigh could be hyped about the trip. Hawks might keep it interesting for a half, but depth and experience will take their toll. UCD 35-14.

jayhawkdaddy
September 11th, 2019, 01:46 PM
Week 3 Games
Saturday, Sept. 14

Georgetown
Sacred Heart
Fordham
Villanova .
William & Mary
UC Davis

https://www.anygivensaturday.com/clear.gif Reply (https://www.anygivensaturday.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2797980&noquote=1) https://www.anygivensaturday.com/clear.gif Reply With Quote (https://www.anygivensaturday.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2797980) https://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/buttons/multiquote_40b.png (https://www.anygivensaturday.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2797980) (https://www.anygivensaturday.com/reputation.php?do=addreputation&p=2797980) (https://www.anygivensaturday.com/report.php?p=2797980)

The Boogie Down
September 11th, 2019, 05:12 PM
Glad you're back! But...

Fordham at Bryant – I never like Bryant. And I shouldn’t like the Rams.

"Shouldn't like the Rams?" Huh? Ya know Carney1 was an Irish Catholic born and raised in Mount Vernon. Raised his own kids in Yonkers. That's more than half his life within a 15 minute drive of Rose Hill. Bet that Carney not only liked, but probably loved, the Rams! xthumbsupx

RichH2
September 11th, 2019, 06:36 PM
Hoyas in a walk.
Rams will outscore Bryant.
Gate will shake off the Bye rust.
Nova will get a game for a while but Bison not guite ready for a ranked team.
Speaking of not quite ready for a ranked team. Lehigh will put up a fight but depth will do them in.
My mini upset. Pards get a W on Saturday. O will score if Garrett lets them.

Gangtackle11
September 12th, 2019, 06:01 PM
GT
Fordham
W&M
Villanova
Lehigh umm I meant UC - Davis
Sacred Heart

van
September 12th, 2019, 06:39 PM
GT
Fordham
W&M
Villanova
Lehigh
Sacred Heart
OK Gang, you know something we don't?

RichH2
September 12th, 2019, 08:51 PM

Yeah, what he said.xconfusedxxnodx:)

BucBisonAtLarge
September 12th, 2019, 11:26 PM
Gtown
Sacred Heart
Fordham
'Nova
Colgate
UC Davis

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 12th, 2019, 11:42 PM
Yeah, what he said.xconfusedxxnodx:)

This is groundbreaking from Gang! I too would like to know he came to such a conclusion.

I do think Lehigh's offense has a chance for some success. The OL has been reshuffled again for better or worse. I thought they pass protected well against a nationally good front seven from Nova. I still like what I've seen from the skill guys overall. The WRs have been good and the TE (#87) is turning into a force. 'Nova had no answers for him.

I just don't see Lehigh being able to generate pressure on Maier or stop Gilliam. Their undersized DL is going to get worked again....

Gangtackle11
September 13th, 2019, 06:17 AM

Lol. It’s a typo. Sorry fellas.

I thought you you guys played hard vs. the Cats. GL the rest of the way. xpeacex

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 13th, 2019, 09:14 AM
Colgate @ W&M the GOTW IMO. Colgate desperately needs a win coming out of the bye. Hunt needs to get better production out of the offense.

Georgetown 51 Catholic 17
Sacred Heart 27 Lafayette 21
Fordham 34 Bryant 16
Villanova 45 Bucknell 13
Colgate 23 W&M 20
UC Davis 42 Lehigh 27

Go Green
September 13th, 2019, 10:44 AM
Colgate desperately needs a win coming out of the bye.

Yep.

If they don't get it tomorrow, then they might as well just start printing "0-5" on the programs for the Lehigh game.

Bill
September 13th, 2019, 07:50 PM
Georgetown
Sacred Heart
Fordham
Villanova
William & Mary
UC Davis

DFW HOYA
September 13th, 2019, 08:16 PM
Pardon me while I lose my lunch.

https://georgetownfootball.blogspot.com (https://georgetownfootball.blogspot.com/)

RichH2
September 13th, 2019, 09:15 PM
Pardon me while I lose my lunch.

https://georgetownfootball.blogspot.com (https://georgetownfootball.blogspot.com/)

That is disheartening. Catholic a choice not a last minute solution. Your Admin cares even less about football than I thought. Sucks.

DFW HOYA
September 13th, 2019, 10:08 PM
That is disheartening. Catholic a choice not a last minute solution. Your Admin cares even less about football than I thought. Sucks.

The Admin doesn't set schedules, only the budget. This one's on Sgarlata.

The larger issues still applies, however: "But as Northeast schools continue to realign their early season schedules to major opponents, it reduces the pool of available games to which Georgetown is a candidate for." If NEC schools are busy playing Syracuse, Ball State, or Hawaii in the first three weeks, the Ivy is on bye, the Pioneer schools are not coming east, and no one else returns Georgetown's calls, what is the staff to do, start the season in week 4? Yes, the fan in me would say to get on the bus to Incarnate Word or Nicholls State and tough it out, but a long trip might sap the budget out of an assistant's salary or two. Georgetown has taken just one plane trip since 2002, and I think they've all but ruled out any opponent beyond eight hours of DC.

I don't see Howard, Towson, or Morgan State looking to add a game with Georgetown in the second week of September when they can play Hampton (at Soldier Field), Maine, and James Madison, which are their three opponents tomorrow.

It could be worse, I suppose. George Mason needed a game this weekend before opening at UNC-Greensboro.

https://scontent-dfw5-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/35628685_1690421491066805_383064594077188096_o.jpg
https://recreation.gmu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Club-Football-2-resize-723x264.jpg

Leopard Loyalist
September 13th, 2019, 10:41 PM
Catholic at Georgetown
Sacred Heart at Lafayette .
Fordham at Bryant
Villanova at Bucknell
Colgate at William & Mary
Lehigh at UC Davis

Lehigh Football Nation
September 14th, 2019, 10:23 AM
Here are my picks. Spoiler alert: I pick UC Davis to win!

https://www.college-sports-journal.com/college-sports-journal-patriot-league-previews-week-of-9-14-2019/

DFW HOYA
September 14th, 2019, 11:30 AM
Catholic 0
Georgetown 18
3:35 1st

RichH2
September 14th, 2019, 11:55 AM
32-0 Early 2nd period for Hoyas.

DFW HOYA
September 14th, 2019, 12:15 PM
Catholic 0
Georgetown 53
Halftime

RichH2
September 14th, 2019, 12:16 PM
DFW
Is there a mercy rule anywhere to be found. :)

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 14th, 2019, 12:21 PM
Catholic 0
Georgetown 53
Halftime

This has to be close to a PL record?!? I'm pretty sure Lehigh had CCSU down 51-0 or so at half back in the early 2000's.

DFW HOYA
September 14th, 2019, 12:34 PM
True story. Catholic had a first down with :32 left. They took a knee and sprinted to what passes as a locker room, with time still on the clock. Georgetown was standing there with the clock running down.

Leopard Loyalist
September 14th, 2019, 01:02 PM
Lafayette up over Sacred Heart 24-14. We have a quarterback!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 14th, 2019, 01:05 PM
Lafayette up over Sacred Heart 24-14. We have a quarterback!

Why Garrett stuck with O'Malley so long is one of the great mysteries in PL history....

Sader87
September 14th, 2019, 01:27 PM
The Catholic U game is an embarrassment....GTown would do well to drop this series moving forward

DFW HOYA
September 14th, 2019, 01:28 PM
Hoyas take a knee with their 4th string QB at the Catholic 10 yard line to close it out.

Catholic 0
Georgetown 69
Final

RichH2
September 14th, 2019, 01:42 PM
A very quick game. Running clock??

DFW HOYA
September 14th, 2019, 01:44 PM
Catholic crossed the 50 once. Four first downs, one after halftime.

van
September 14th, 2019, 02:19 PM
how can we get Catholic on our schedule?

just kidding

Sader87
September 14th, 2019, 02:21 PM
how can we get Catholic on our schedule?

just kidding

Half your league schedule is :)

RichH2
September 14th, 2019, 02:25 PM
SHU 42 -27 late 3rd.
Pards found a QB but lost their 2ndary. 5 TD passes so far for SHU.

RichH2
September 14th, 2019, 02:31 PM
SHU 49-27. That was quick.

Fordham with some D but very little O surprisingly.

RichH2
September 14th, 2019, 02:34 PM
Rams up 15-14. A TD finally.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 14th, 2019, 02:37 PM
Rams up 15-14. A TD finally.

Rams need this one Bhaaaaad....

BNiche
September 14th, 2019, 02:48 PM

You don't say? (I kid, I kid)

Zach Davis with a 48-yard TD run and Fordham's up 22 to 14.

RichH2
September 14th, 2019, 02:48 PM
Rams woke up now 22-14

Pards down 56-27. Absolute collapse. Ugh.

BNiche
September 14th, 2019, 02:52 PM
Demorat not even touched on his TD run and Fordham's up 29-14.

RichH2
September 14th, 2019, 02:53 PM
Pards get a TD pass 56-33. Gave up 6 TD passes.

van
September 14th, 2019, 03:04 PM
SHU 42 -27 late 3rd.
Pards found a QB but lost their 2ndary. 5 TD passes so far for SHU.

FR QB looks to be the real deal

The Boogie Down
September 14th, 2019, 03:11 PM

You don't say? (I kid, I kid)

I see what you both did there! And yeah, Fordham got the W! 3 TD's and 4 sacks for Fordham and all came in the 4th to turn a 14-6 deficit into a 29-14 win!

RichH2
September 14th, 2019, 03:16 PM
A couple of meaningless TDs and final is SHU 56-40. Shoemaker was Pard O today passing and running. Awesome display.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 14th, 2019, 03:41 PM
Nice win for Fordham!

Lafayette might have found an offense but they sadly lost their D. It doesnt get any easier for the pards. Got to win.

St Francis smoked Merrimack..

crusader11
September 14th, 2019, 03:48 PM
We will learn a lot about Colgate today, I think.

RichH2
September 14th, 2019, 04:00 PM
Nice win for Fordham!

Lafayette might have found an offense but they sadly lost their D. It doesnt get any easier for the pards. Got to win.

St Francis smoked Merrimack..

Hamm got DQ'd today. Hurt their D. Still 2dary looked clueless vs SHU QB.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 14th, 2019, 04:19 PM
We will learn a lot about Colgate today, I think.

I agree! They got to get the offense going. They had a bye to get prepared. Hunt has full control of the offense. Need to get it rolling...

crusader11
September 14th, 2019, 04:23 PM
I agree! They got to get the offense going. They had a bye to get prepared. Hunt has full control of the offense. Need to get it rolling...

I’m surprised they’re favored on the road by nearly a touchdown. I would have thought this would be a pick ‘em game.

Sader87
September 14th, 2019, 04:56 PM
Navy up 42-3 on East Carolina in 3rd.....HC game looks a little bit bettah.

Be interesting to see how UNH makes out at FIU tonight.

RichH2
September 14th, 2019, 05:39 PM
Gate down 10-0 in 1st.
Bison down 7-0

Gater
September 14th, 2019, 05:40 PM
Colgate just got absolutely robbed on a INT that was ruled a TD. Colgate DB jumps in front of receiver. Has ball against body. Ends up with ball. Called the other way.

RichH2
September 14th, 2019, 05:52 PM
Now 17-0 for Bill after 1st.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 14th, 2019, 05:57 PM
Now 17-0 for Bill after 1st.

ugh...ugly...Colgate sinking like a rock.

RichH2
September 14th, 2019, 05:57 PM
What happened to Brenneman??Froschauer in at QB.

Gater
September 14th, 2019, 06:02 PM
Breneman on crutches. Ankle. Second series of game.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 14th, 2019, 06:06 PM
What happened to Brenneman??Froschauer in at QB.

They knew what it was like without him last year. Tough break but he was struggling to start the year. Next man up. Team should have too many veterans to wilt.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 14th, 2019, 06:08 PM
Villanova up 21-0 10:41 1Q

Im at the Carrier Dome for Cuse-Clemson. I'll do some scouting for HC...

RichH2
September 14th, 2019, 06:19 PM
Tough breaker Gater. Could be a very rough year.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 14th, 2019, 06:25 PM
Gate score!

17-7 late in the 2nd

Gater
September 14th, 2019, 06:29 PM
Colgate had so few things go wrong last year. So few blown coverages or bad snaps or boneheaded plays--you forget that they can happen to your team. Think they are going to be OK--just a lot of new guys. Starting DE and safety now out. Down 17-7 and getting the ball to start the second. The plan is to score on the first drive and then get an INT on Bill and Mary's first possession to go up 21-17. (Currently trying to get this plan to Coach Hunt.)

Tough breaker Gater. Could be a very rough year.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 14th, 2019, 06:31 PM
Colgate had so few things go wrong last year. So few blown coverages or bad snaps or boneheaded plays--you forget that they can happen to your team. Think they are going to be OK--just a lot of new guys. Starting DE and safety now out. Down 17-7 and getting the ball to start the second. The plan is to score on the first drive and then get an INT on Bill and Mary's first possession to go up 21-17. (Currently trying to get this plan to Coach Hunt.)

The level of competition has also increased significantly this year. Colgate had a great team last seasom They should be better than they've shown in 2019...

Gater
September 14th, 2019, 06:56 PM
'Nova can be a monster (especially early). Air Force beat Colorado today so they are good. Colgate not having starting center against Air Force really showed. Starting center out to start second half. Three snaps where ball hits the ground on Colgate's opening drive but Colgate gets a FG.

The level of competition has also increased significantly this year. Colgate had a great team last seasom They should be better than they've shown in 2019...

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 14th, 2019, 07:01 PM
Colgate is battling! The slow start is the difference right now...

Gater
September 14th, 2019, 07:19 PM
Colgate down 24-10 after KO return for TD. Daramy-Swaray (Colgate's All American CB) out after getting head slammed to turf on punt return. Four bad snaps in a quarter has Colgate on to third string center. 2nd string center a very good guard. Colgate with three freshmen playing on D now.

Gater
September 14th, 2019, 07:23 PM
Colgate loses safeties on back-to-back plays. Good news is that I'm going to get a chance to play.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 14th, 2019, 07:33 PM
Colgate loses safeties on back-to-back plays. Good news is that I'm going to get a chance to play.

Maine up next!

Colgate prides themselves on challenging themselves. Got to measure up. Hunt has his work cut out for him trying to compete. Injuries are part of the deal just like no redshirts and limited roster size.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 14th, 2019, 07:39 PM
Villanova 42 Bucknell 3 in the 3rd...

The PL is awful. HC and Georgetown look to be the only teams not in complete dumspter fire mode.

crusader11
September 14th, 2019, 07:54 PM
HC looks to be the front runner for the PL crown.

Tallest midget.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 14th, 2019, 07:54 PM
W&M 38 Colgate 10 Final

On to Maine for the Raiders.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 14th, 2019, 08:01 PM
HC looks to be the front runner for the PL crown.

Tallest midget.

Yup! Their win over UNH is clearly the high water mark for league this year.

Ivytalk
September 14th, 2019, 08:03 PM
W&M 38 Colgate 10 Final

On to Maine for the Raiders.
Howard Cosell’s ghost: “Da Raidahs!”

Sader87
September 14th, 2019, 08:51 PM
Gentlemen, as the kids today say, the League sucks right now.

RichH2
September 14th, 2019, 10:02 PM
Pluto stream is pathetic. No one get get it to work. Just keeps buffering and reloading.Surprisingly inept for a school like UCD and the Big Sky. Ugh.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 14th, 2019, 10:54 PM
Lehigh is getting let up. O cant do anything and Mairr is tourching the D.

21-0 to start the 3rd. Aggies inside LU 10

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 15th, 2019, 12:40 AM
UC Davis 41 Lehigh 13 Final, it really wasn't that close.

The PL is now 4-16 overall, 3-16 against D1 competition. More than half the league has yet to win a game. It's getting worse, not better....

Southsider
September 15th, 2019, 06:15 AM

The PL is now 4-16 overall, 3-16 against D1 competition. More than half the league has yet to win a game. It's getting worse, not better....

The PL is getting what is asked for! CHANGE THE RULES NOW!!! PL is the laughing stock of FCS FB.

Thanks Pete!

bonarae
September 15th, 2019, 06:18 AM

The worst OOC showing the PL has been in since scholarships took effect. xsmhx

Where is Week 4 picks thread? xchinscratchx

carney2
September 15th, 2019, 08:33 AM
Hamm got DQ'd today. Hurt their D. Still 2dary looked clueless vs SHU QB.

The SHU QB had a great day. A 5th year senior starting for his third - yes, 3rd! school: Temple, then East Tennessee, and now SHU. who knew that the NCAA has instituted free agency.

ColgateTD
September 15th, 2019, 09:58 AM
PL scholarships? Whaaaa?

DFW HOYA
September 15th, 2019, 04:38 PM
A view from the LSN drone above Fisher Stadium Saturday as seen on the broadcast. Even by PL standards, this isn't good.
http://www.hoyasaxa.com/sports/images/lafayette091419.jpg

Go Green
September 15th, 2019, 05:30 PM
A view from the LSN drone above Fisher Stadium Saturday as seen on the broadcast. Even by PL standards, this isn't good.

Lafayette reports attendance at 5,119.

Sader87
September 15th, 2019, 05:46 PM
Fisher Stadium is probably the perfect size for 1975.

Fittion Field is the perfect size for 1955.

Fordham
September 15th, 2019, 08:17 PM
Nice win for our young Rams. We desperately needed that as we head into the last 3 OOC games as decided underdogs. Still, our O is markedly improved. Our D is good and should improve although a few key injuries have hurt us here. If we can play well enough to get some positives from these next 3 weeks I think we'll be in the mix to challenge HC and Colgate for the title. Yes, I do think Colgate will be in the mix when all is said and done even though i have HC squarely as the favorites right now.

Finally, what is up with Gtown playing Catholic?!?!? I haven't gone through this whole thread so I assume it's likely been addressed if not beaten to death but that's really awful imo.

DFW HOYA
September 15th, 2019, 08:21 PM
Finally, what is up with Gtown playing Catholic?!?!? I haven't gone through this whole thread so I assume it's likely been addressed if not beaten to death but that's really awful imo.

Very short answer: Howard canceled its game vs. Georgetown to play Hampton in Chicago.

Doesn't excuse GU signing a three year deal to play Catholic, however, but Georgetown is having trouble finding teams willing to play them out of conference.

https://georgetownfootball.blogspot.com/2019/09/cua-wth.html

NY Crusader 2010
September 15th, 2019, 09:22 PM
DFW -- do you think GU will stick to the remaining two games in the series or look to re-schedule?

It's almost embarrassing to the point where you would rather play a 10-game schedule and diminish the injury threshold for the season. A D-II or even a decent D-III would be fine but sounds like Catholic is a pretty poor squad even for their level.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 15th, 2019, 09:24 PM
DFW -- do you think GU will stick to the remaining two games in the series or look to re-schedule?

It's almost embarrassing to the point where you would rather play a 10-game schedule and diminish the injury threshold for the season. A D-II or even a decent D-III would be fine but sounds like Catholic is a pretty poor squad even for their level.

I have to think a D2 PSAC school would be willing to come down. Shippensburg or Millersville would be a good options. Pretty short bus rides for both schools.

NY Crusader 2010
September 15th, 2019, 09:39 PM
I have to think a D2 PSAC school would be willing to come down. Shippensburg or Millersville would be a good options. Pretty short bus rides for both schools.

I'm sure there is a drop-off towards the bottom of that league but a potential scary part about scheduling PSAC teams is that they could potentially beat us. If whoever wins the PSAC this year faced off against the PL champ, I'm not confident we'd win that one.

What about a Georgetown-VMI series? The Keydets typically play a D-II every year, presumably to ensure they get at least one win.

DFW HOYA
September 15th, 2019, 10:30 PM
What about a Georgetown-VMI series? The Keydets typically play a D-II every year, presumably to ensure they get at least one win.

VMI is a great example of this problem. They're already booked up in September through 2024 before conference play begins. A lot of teams are.

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/vmi/

PAllen
September 16th, 2019, 02:45 AM

Nothing says "Get your tickets now while you still can!" quite like the pic above.

PAllen
September 16th, 2019, 02:50 AM
VMI is a great example of this problem. They're already booked up in September through 2024 before conference play begins. A lot of teams are.

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/vmi/

Lots of VMI alums in the DC area as well. I'd expect you could move things around a bit with the league schedule to get a game later in the year. Your admin just needs to be proactive. I honestly don't mind Georgetown playing Catholic as a fill in. It's the playing AT Catholic that is a problem.

Go Green
September 16th, 2019, 07:30 AM
Very short answer: Howard canceled its game vs. Georgetown to play Hampton in Chicago.

Doesn't excuse GU signing a three year deal to play Catholic, however, but Georgetown is having trouble finding teams willing to play them out of conference.

https://georgetownfootball.blogspot.com/2019/09/cua-wth.html

Personally, I think trouncing a lower-division team is preferable to getting trounced by a FBS school like the rest of the PL has been experiencing this season.

But your mileage may vary...

Sader87
September 16th, 2019, 11:25 AM
Personally, I think trouncing a lower-division team is preferable to getting trounced by a FBS school like the rest of the PL has been experiencing this season.

But your mileage may vary...

Agree to disagree, see HC at Navy and then playing UNH. I just think a team gets more from being challenged like that than winning essentially a controlled scrimmage handily.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 16th, 2019, 11:32 AM
Agree to disagree, see HC at Navy and then playing UNH. I just think a team gets more from being challenged like that than winning essentially a controlled scrimmage handily.

I think there's a fine line. I think it's good to be challenged 1 or 2 times in the OOC. Otherwise the goal should be to win games and build momentum for the league games.

Colgate played one of the weakest schedules in FCS last year but was still prepared for Army and JMU when the time came.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 16th, 2019, 11:37 AM
There are merits to scheduling play-up games (even big ones like Navy, Army, AFA) and playing sub-D-I games at home (to honor regional rivalries, get a game that is a likely W for the home team, etc.) Ideally IMO you have both. I'm not sure I'd rather be Georgetown (scheduling two of the easiest home games in memory to get to 2-1) or Colgate (scheduling an impossible starting 5 games, especially if the injury bug hits), but a middle ground IMO is best.

If you look at, say, the OVC, they schedule pretty OOC well for the most part. One huge challenge FBS team, one local D-II like Cumberland or something, and a competitive somewhat local FCS team. Then a challenging league schedule. The problems arise when you schedule 2x FBS or FBS and NDSU or something. 3x FBS games have also been known to happen. That's just wrong.

Go Green
September 16th, 2019, 11:40 AM
I just think a team gets more from being challenged like that than winning essentially a controlled scrimmage handily.

Colgate says hi.

:)

DFW HOYA
September 16th, 2019, 12:22 PM
There are merits to scheduling play-up games (even big ones like Navy, Army, AFA) and playing sub-D-I games at home (to honor regional rivalries, get a game that is a likely W for the home team, etc.) Ideally IMO you have both. I'm not sure I'd rather be Georgetown (scheduling two of the easiest home games in memory to get to 2-1) or Colgate (scheduling an impossible starting 5 games, especially if the injury bug hits), but a middle ground IMO is best.

I'm all for a middle ground but the bottom has fallen out for Georgetown to schedule a middle ground. Where's the play-up opponent coming from?

A non-scholarship team can't get I-A games, can't get many CAA or even NEC teams who are chasing guarantee games (see LIU vs. West Virginia, 2021 (https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/liu/)), isn't getting MEAC teams who make their budget in "HBCU classic" games (which is where this whole mess with Catholic started), and is unable or unwilling to travel to Davis or Terre Haute or Cullowhee just for the means of filling out a schedule. Georgetown had a series with Campbell, but as soon as they moved to the Big South, Campbell was done. Instead of opening with Georgetown in 2019, they were at Troy (Trojans, 43-14). Campbell now has future games with North Carolina, NC State, East Carolina, and William & Mary. Anyone think they're coming back to Washington?

And that's for the first three weeks. Add the fact that Georgetown has only one Ivy game in 2020 and 2021 and none thereafter until 2024, the ability to schedule in September is becoming a problem.

Go Green
September 16th, 2019, 01:01 PM
I'm all for a middle ground but the bottom has fallen out for Georgetown to schedule a middle ground. Where's the play-up opponent coming from?

And that's for the first three weeks. Add the fact that Georgetown has only one Ivy game in 2020 and 2021 and none thereafter until 2024, the ability to schedule in September is becoming a problem.

Have you guys called up Merrimack yet? Georgetown may be a good OOC opponent for them as they make the transition to NEC competition.

Gater
September 16th, 2019, 02:01 PM
Colgate's schedule is that of a CAA team. That's exactly who they should be playing if they want to be relevant in FCS. They scheduled the same types of schools last year. Furman got cancelled because of a hurricane and UNH and Bill and Mary were down. They hung with a top 20 Army team. This year, Colgate is down but their scheduling is exactly where it should be.

van
September 16th, 2019, 02:08 PM
Hoyas scheduling problems are of their own making so they need to shut up and quit complaining or alternatively finish their stadium and get competitive

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 16th, 2019, 04:08 PM
Colgate's schedule is that of a CAA team. That's exactly who they should be playing if they want to be relevant in FCS. They scheduled the same types of schools last year. Furman got cancelled because of a hurricane and UNH and Bill and Mary were down. They hung with a top 20 Army team. This year, Colgate is down but their scheduling is exactly where it should be.

If they want to be relevant in FCS leave the Patriot League start issuing redshirts, 3 more scholarships and larger roster size. Scheduling tough and trotting out PL level nonsense isn't going to impress anyone. The CAA's should be happy to schedule 2-1 and 3-1 with Colgate knowing it's more than likely an easy win. Colgate's OOC record, and everyone else's in the PL, in recent years stinks. 2017 the Raiders went 7-4 but was awful in the OOC which is why they never seriously garnered at-large consideration. 2016 they entered the year with a Top 20 preseason ranking and flopped in the OOC. Thought they were too good (likely would have lost) to play Bryant and opted for a 10 game 5-5 record.

Sader87
September 16th, 2019, 04:25 PM
Not to speak for anyone but my assumption is that both Colgate and HC put more emphasis on "scheduling up" during the regular season than they do with regard to gaining an at-large berth in the playoffs.

I think I can say with near certainty that the vast majority of HC alums are pleased that we are playing Navy and Syracuse this year and not say CCSU and Bryant (no offense to those fine institutions).

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 16th, 2019, 04:30 PM
Not to speak for anyone but my assumption is that both Colgate and HC put more emphasis on "scheduling up" during the regular season than they do with regard to gaining an at-large berth in the playoffs.

I think I can say with near certainty that the vast majority of HC alums are pleased that we are playing Navy and Syracuse this year and not say CCSU and Bryant (no offense to those fine institutions).

No one in the league is backing down in terms of scheduling except Georgetown. Lehigh might not have played a FBS team this season but traveling to California to play a Top 10 UC Davis team is the equivalent of playing a middling FBS team. Adding to the difficulty was playing a Top 20 Villanova team the week before.

The problem is the PL is getting clowned in these games and are serving as nothing more than cupcakes to these teams. Villanova just eats 'em up. Holy Cross will serve as a perfect pinata for Dino Babers and the 'Cuse.

Sader87
September 16th, 2019, 04:39 PM
The vast majority of FCS teams get "clowned" in FBS games. A smattering are competitive and a rare few every year are FCS wins.

It's more and more the "cost of playing at this level." They are a net positive for alumni engagement, recruiting and helping out the athletic budget.

I still maintain that the Navy game was instrumental in our win ovah UNH.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 16th, 2019, 04:54 PM
The vast majority of FCS teams get "clowned" in FBS games. A smattering are competitive and a rare few every year are FCS wins.

It's more and more the "cost of playing at this level." They are a net positive for alumni engagement, recruiting and helping out the athletic budget.

I still maintain that the Navy game was instrumental in our win ovah UNH.

If you're a legit FCS team you can often hang in with decent to even good FBS teams. Colgate vs Army, Furman-Va Tech, UNI-Iowa State, UC-Davis vs Cal come to mind. However, in most cases the games are rather lopsided.

I think UNH having an interim-head coach, frosh QB, first game of the year and HC being at home played more of a role than HC getting beaten like a drum by Navy. I picked HC to win that game.

HC has a good test this week. I have Yale in my Top 25. A win there and the Crusaders will easily be the favorite heading into PL play. Might even garner some Top 25 consideration. Get blown out and HC falls back to with the rest of the dregs...

DFW HOYA
September 16th, 2019, 07:17 PM
Hoyas scheduling problems are of their own making so they need to shut up and quit complaining or alternatively finish their stadium and get competitive

They're not complaining, I am.

Finishing the stadium (2020) doesn't help if schedules are already booked up. Does anyone really think that Delaware is waiting for Cooper Field before they'll sign a deal?

aceinthehole
September 16th, 2019, 07:40 PM
Have you guys called up Merrimack yet? Georgetown may be a good OOC opponent for them as they make the transition to NEC competition.

I would think Merrimack, Robert Morris, and Saint Francis are 3 NEC teams right now willing to do home and home contracts with the Hoyas.

SHU has been getting a lot of Ivy games to go along with PL opponents, so that also seems like a willing partner if they have any openings.

CCSU is booked for a while, but I would have liked to see Central play a game in D.C.

PAllen
September 16th, 2019, 10:03 PM
I would think Merrimack, Robert Morris, and Saint Francis are 3 NEC teams right now willing to do home and home contracts with the Hoyas.

SHU has been getting a lot of Ivy games to go along with PL opponents, so that also seems like a willing partner if they have any openings.

CCSU is booked for a while, but I would have liked to see Central play a game in D.C.

But the Hoyas want bus trips and "name" opponents to come to play in their parking lot. They could have the games if they wanted them. Just like they could have a dominant program if they wanted it. They don't. They don't even support their men's lacrosse team anymore to any meaningful degree. But they'll keep paying rent on the Capital One Arena for their BBall teams.

DFW HOYA
September 17th, 2019, 06:13 AM
But the Hoyas want bus trips and "name" opponents to come to play in their parking lot. They could have the games if they wanted them.

This is not grounded in reality. It's like saying Lehigh could play Alabama on the third Saturday in October if they wanted to.

The point was that as more I-AA teams grab guarantee games, the pool of available opponents in September is narrowing for those that do not, home or away.

PAllen
September 17th, 2019, 10:59 AM
This is not grounded in reality. It's like saying Lehigh could play Alabama on the third Saturday in October if they wanted to.

The point was that as more I-AA teams grab guarantee games, the pool of available opponents in September is narrowing for those that do not, home or away.

Again, you miss the point. You're not getting return games from anything close to a name opponent with your facilities. They are an embarrassment to the league, your institution, and anyone who has to play there. That said, there are FCS opponents who are looking for OOC games that would sign up for a home and home with you. Most people have never heard of them, and few have any idea where they are, but they are out there. Rather than complain about not being able to schedule who you want to, try doing something to improve your offering to potential opponents.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 17th, 2019, 11:02 AM

Additionally, some to make ends meet sometimes schedule 3 FBS teams in a year, which honestly is insane. The market is very crowded, and frankly a lot of schools need the $$$ more than Patriot League schools, who play these games for different reasons.

Patriot League schools that want an occasional FBS game should be able to do so without being a pinata for the home team. While acknowledging that it will be a probable loss, games like Colgate losing 28-14 to Army was a fine outcome and perhaps was a big reason why they beat JMU in the playoffs last year. I'm less sure what Bucknell got out of getting thrashed by Temple.

I think what's changed in the last three years is the giddy talk of "maybe we could beat Army/Navy/AFA!" The idea was that with scholarships, Patriot League schools would be able to stand toe-to-toe with CAA schools and maybe give a rebuilding Temple team a run for its money. That has not happened, and there's a lot of different reasons as to why.

In GTown's case, I'd see an OOC game as a chance to promote your athletics, and give your football players an experience they won't forget. If Georgetown played, say, Maryland, that would the the biggest audience they'd play in front of all season, and even though it's almost certainly a loss it would be a great experience for the families and players - as long as it's not just so noncompetitive that you're a pinata. I think schools, and PL schools too, are always weighing these factors.

DFW HOYA
September 17th, 2019, 11:56 AM
Again, you miss the point. You're not getting return games from anything close to a name opponent with your facilities. They are an embarrassment to the league, your institution, and anyone who has to play there. That said, there are FCS opponents who are looking for OOC games that would sign up for a home and home with you. Most people have never heard of them, and few have any idea where they are, but they are out there. Rather than complain about not being able to schedule who you want to, try doing something to improve your offering to potential opponents.

Facilities are getting better, albeit to the Marist/Monmouth level and not what was originally sold to alumni. But who are these opponents? Dixie State and Incarnate Word aren't coming to Washington if they don't have to. I do think GU needs to remove its 400 mile cap on travel but that takes money to do so.

The point remains: there are fewer teams in the Northeast willing to play "down" in September then there used to be. If they were out there, last week's mess could have been avoided.

In GTown's case, I'd see an OOC game as a chance to promote your athletics, and give your football players an experience they won't forget. If Georgetown played, say, Maryland, that would the the biggest audience they'd play in front of all season, and even though it's almost certainly a loss it would be a great experience for the families and players - as long as it's not just so noncompetitive that you're a pinata. I think schools, and PL schools too, are always weighing these factors.

Maryland won't play Georgetown for the most basic of reasons: the game would not count for bowl eligibility.

PAllen
September 17th, 2019, 12:35 PM
Facilities are getting better, albeit to the Marist/Monmouth level and not what was originally sold to alumni. But who are these opponents? Dixie State and Incarnate Word aren't coming to Washington if they don't have to. I do think GU needs to remove its 400 mile cap on travel but that takes money to do so.

The point remains: there are fewer teams in the Northeast willing to play "down" in September then there used to be. If they were out there, last week's mess could have been avoided.

Maryland won't play Georgetown for the most basic of reasons: the game would not count for bowl eligibility.

Maryland won't, but Army would. St. Francis, Merrimack, the Pioneer and even some of the Big South. No, Syracuse isn't coming, neither are Villanova, Harvard or Yale. Build a decent stadium, support the program, and all of the above would be on the table, but until then you aren't getting lobster and a filet every week on food stamps.