PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 9-9

JALMOND
September 9th, 2019, 08:58 PM
Roughly two weeks in to the season and everyone in the Big Sky is still sort of seeing what they got. One more week to go before the conference season begins for most so one more week to get some questions answered that haven't been yet. Here are this week's Big Sky power rankings (last week in parenthesis). For the most part, not much movement, but that may change. All are my opinion. All are open for discussion.

1. Eastern Washington (1)---Last week, beat Lindenwood, Mo (DII) at home 59-31, this week at Jacksonville State (Ohio Valley)---The defense has been a little suspect for the Eagles but the offense seems to be in gear. All that will be tested with a trip across the country this week.

2. UC-Davis (2)---Last week, won at San Diego (Pioneer) 38-35, this week Lehigh (Patriot) at home---After a strong showing at a tough Cal team, the Aggies hit the road and got a strong test from the defending Pioneer League champs. They come home for a game with the Patriot League.

3. Weber State (3)---Last week, beat Cal Poly at home 41-24, this week at Nevada (FBS Mtn West)---The Wildcats had a little bit more trouble against the Mustangs but thankfully found some offense and got the win. They play another game at the Mountain West this week.

4. Montana (4)---Last week, beat North Alabama (Big South) at home 61-17, this week at Oregon (FBS Pac-12)---The Grizzlies toyed with their opponent for a half, then woke up and socked it to them. Their reward is their money game, a challenge at Oregon.

5. Montana State (6)---Last week, beat SE Missouri (Ohio Valley) at home 38-17, this week at Western Illinois (Mo Valley)---The Bobcats came out of their halftime speech on fire and put their game away against a 2018 playoff team. They will venture into Missouri Valley territory this week.

6 Northern Arizona (5)---Last week, lost at Arizona (FBS Pac-12) 65-41, this week Western New Mexico (DII) at home---The Lumberjacks found an inhospitable foe in their instate brethren seeking to make a statement. They will try to return the favor against a DII opponent this week.

7. Idaho State (7)---Last week, beat Western Colorado (DII) at home 38-13, this week at Utah (FBS Pac-12)---The Bengals started slow in their season opener but regained their footing for a good win. They will now head south into Pac-12 country for a tough test.

8. Portland State (8)---Last week, beat Simon Fraser (DII) at home 70-7, this week at Boise State (FBS Mtn West)---The Vikings slept through most of the first quarter before waking up and doing what they should have done. They better not try that strategy this week or it could get ugly.

9. Sacramento State (11)---Last week lost at Arizona State (FBS Pac-12) 19-7, this week Northern Colorado at home---It was surprising to wake up and see the Hornets defense kept the team in the game Friday night. Two good showings give the team hope. They get the Bears this week in a nonconference tussle.

10. Cal Poly (9)---Last week, lost at Weber State 41-24, this week at Oregon State (FBS Pac-12)---The Mustangs defense looked great the first week but did not play well the second week. The offense may need to outscore them. A good time to face a struggling Pac-12 team.

11. Idaho (10)---Last week, beat Central Washington (DII) 41-31, this week at Wyoming (FBS Mtn West)---Things are not coming easy for the Vandals since they stepped down from FBS. They got a win but could never breathe easy. Now they move on to the Mountain West area.

12. Northern Colorado (12)---Last week lost at Washington State (FBS Pac-12) 59-17, this week at Sacramento State---After looking pretty good the first week, the Bears ran into a buzzsaw the second week where nothing went right. A Big Sky nonconference game may be what they need.

13. Southern Utah (13)---Last week lost at Northern Iowa (Mo Valley) 34-14, this week Stephen F Austin (Southland) at home---The Thunderbirds came back home from their trip through the Missouri Valley with a loss to show. They now welcome a struggling Southland team to town.

RECAP: 1-3 out front, 4-8 staying close, 9-10 just behind, 11-13 beginning to fade.

Iridebikes
September 9th, 2019, 09:57 PM
Thanks JALMOND. Appreciate your recap!!!

slostang
September 10th, 2019, 08:18 AM
First off thanks Jalmond. I always enjoy your take each week.

I know the final score does not show it, but the Weber State/Cal Poly was a close game until a couple of turnovers opened it up. Weber was the better team, but Cal Poly is better than most think this year. Cal Poly took San Diego to the wood shed and if not for a fumble at the goal line San Diego would have beat your #2 team.

wapiti
September 10th, 2019, 09:48 AM
1. Eastern Washington --Took care of a Div 2 team, but allowed them to score 31. EWU's defense may be suspect and that may cost them before the end of the regular season.

2. Weber State -- Took care of CP at home with a nice win. and with that nice win and UC-Davis's game the BBQ gets to move up one spot.

3. UC-Davis ---I expected UC-Davis to win by a larger margin and not to have to make a stop in the closing seconds. Yes, they won, but due to the way they won Davis moves down one position.

4. Montana ---Won big over North Alabama. The Griz are looking good this year.

5. Montana State --The Cats and Griz are in a virtual tie. The Bobcat's beat a good SEMO team.

6 Northern Arizona---Scored 41 against a P5 FBS team. With Cookus, NAU could win any game on their schedule this year.

7. Idaho State ---It was a nice win over a Div 2 foe, but it really did not tell us too much other than ISU is not a bad team.

8. Portland State ---PSU and Sac are in a virtual tie. I did not expect the extra large win margin they earned over a Div 2 opponent. PSU has the potential to sneak up on some teams this year. (Hopefully it will be the Griz again.)

9. Sacramento State ---Only lost by 12 to a P5 FBS team. Sac state may have a defense and that may keep them in games this year.

10. Cal Poly ---Not quite ready to win against the top of the Big Sky on the road. Now on to a weak P5 team in Oregon State.

11. Southern Utah --- Lost on the road to what appears to be a pretty good Northern Iowa team, but it's still a L.

12. Northern Colorado-- Lost to a good Wazzu team that is ranked in the top 20. Still managed to score 17 on them.

13. Idaho ---Idaho did win, but it appeared to be ugly against a good Div 2 team. I expected a bigger win then what they got.

RECAP: Tier 1: 1-5
Tier 2: 6-9
Tier 3: 10-13

JALMOND
September 10th, 2019, 10:40 AM
NAU may look good scoring 41 points on a Pac-12 team, but Arizona pretty much called off the dogs at the half when the score was 51-13. I wasn't really impressed with them. Still, I could move MSU ahead of them pretty easily, but ISU, PSU and SAC did not do anything to warrant moving them ahead of NAU. PSU played a P5 team close and blew out a bad DII team. SAC played a P5 team close and blew out a bad NAIA team.

cpalum
September 10th, 2019, 12:50 PM
First off thanks Jalmond. I always enjoy your take each week.

I know the final score does not show it, but the Weber State/Cal Poly was a close game until a couple of turnovers opened it up. Weber was the better team, but Cal Poly is better than most think this year. Cal Poly took San Diego to the wood shed and if not for a fumble at the goal line San Diego would have beat your #2 team.

Ha! like minds...you and I made nearly the same comment on the two different boards (check mine on championshipsubdivision)