PDA

View Full Version : Duquesne @ Youngstown State.

Paladin1aa
September 9th, 2019, 12:15 PM
Next up , the Dukes roll into Youngstown to take on the Penguins. Dukes are lead by a solid RB Hines, 5’11, 225. The problem for them is they only return one OL starter and have an average QB. Their D will face a heavy run game from YSU that features 4 solid RBs and a QB who runs. YSUs D is solid and should smother the Dukes run game.

Feel free to discuss.

Paladin1aa
September 9th, 2019, 01:48 PM
This match up has some interesting sidelines. Duquesne has won or shared 5 of the last 8 NEC titles. YSU has not won an MVFC title the last 8 years. Overall record between the two is in favor of YSU, 3-0 with last win over Dukes coming in 2016. Each team has made use of transfers with Dukes having 22 this season and YSU 21.

However with the teams only an hour apart, many area athletes are recruited by both. In most cases, the area players recruited by the Dukes turn them down to play at YSU, perceived to be step up in competition and a far stronger league. There are very few players from metro Youngstown on Dukes roster. On the other hand, YSU recruits heavy in Western Pa. and gets some decent players there, out recruiting Duquesne.

YSU appears to be on a roll, infused with good transfers/Jucos and good numbers of returning starters, including two injured last year who are both stars. With ISUb’s early demise, YSU now appears to be on track to win 8 games and make the playoffs. Dukes would appear to make playoffs only by winning the NEC, which they are projected to do in preseason polling, as an auto qualifier.

My guess is YSU will whip the Dukes , and maybe quite handily, on their way to finishing 4-0 in OOC games.

Paladin1aa
September 9th, 2019, 06:46 PM
Duquesne has won or shared 5 NEC titles in the last 8 years. During that time, all 3 games vs YSU has been played.

2013 - YSU wins 59-17

2014 - YSU wins 34-23

2016 - YSU wins 45-10

I don’t see this year’s game being much different. Projected NEC champ vs the projected 7th place MVFC team.

YSU wins big.

aceinthehole
September 9th, 2019, 07:09 PM
Duquesne has won or shared 5 NEC titles in the last 8 years. During that time, all 3 games vs YSU has been played.

2013 - YSU wins 59-17

2014 - YSU wins 34-23

2016 - YSU wins 45-10

I don’t see this year’s game being much different. Projected NEC champ vs the projected 7th place MVFC team.

YSU wins big.

Yes. Very possible, maybe even likely.

YSU finished the 2013 season ranked #18. YSU was ranked #23 for the 2014 game vs. Duquesne and finished the season at #20. In 2016, the 'Guins were unranked in week 1, but finished #2 in the polls.

Let's not sandbag here. YSU is a very good program in the toughest conference at this level. This is a tall drink of water for Duquesne and they are probably a 21-point underdog.

QUESTION - when was the last time Princeton, Dartmouth, Yale, or Harvard has played a team of the caliber of YSU?

During the period that Duquesne will have played YSU 4 times (all on the road), I'm certain that the Ivy-4 combined have not played a single opponent that strong.

NEC teams go on the ROAD and play some powerhouse teams from the MVFC and CAA while the Ivy league dines almost exclusively on the Patriot League, NEC, and Pioneer teams. They don't play ranked, scholarship programs so we have no idea how they would fare in this game.

Paladin1aa
September 9th, 2019, 07:38 PM
No sandbagging here. I didn’t expect much from YSU this year until they added some late transfers and Jucos....... all starters. Then they got a 6th year for an injured starter and another starter came back from injury. Their fortunes for this year are altered considerably. While I expected them to win 3 or 4 of the OOC games, they are doing so in dominating fashion. I expect them to win all the OOC games now, gaining some player depth and looking to do much better in the MVFC than others projected, including myself. QB and special teams remain a problem, but things are looking up. The Duquesne game should show if they continue their improvements.

I would love to see a YSU game with Harvard, Princeton or Yale. Ivy League would be interesting for local fans.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 9th, 2019, 07:56 PM
YSU 42-13

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2019, 09:04 PM

YSU finished the 2013 season ranked #18. YSU was ranked #23 for the 2014 game vs. Duquesne and finished the season at #20. In 2016, the 'Guins were unranked in week 1, but finished #2 in the polls.

Let's not sandbag here. YSU is a very good program in the toughest conference at this level. This is a tall drink of water for Duquesne and they are probably a 21-point underdog.

QUESTION - when was the last time Princeton, Dartmouth, Yale, or Harvard has played a team of the caliber of YSU?

During the period that Duquesne will have played YSU 4 times (all on the road), I'm certain that the Ivy-4 combined have not played a single opponent that strong.

NEC teams go on the ROAD and play some powerhouse teams from the MVFC and CAA while the Ivy league dines almost exclusively on the Patriot League, NEC, and Pioneer teams. They don't play ranked, scholarship programs so we have no idea how they would fare in this game.

Yale beat semifinalist Maine last year. They also beat Cal Poly, Mercer and Army recently.
Dartmouth beat UNH (#17 playoff team) and Towson in the same year
Princeton I'm not sure.

ytownchief22
September 10th, 2019, 07:11 AM
Duquesne is a team not bare of talent. They have 16 D1 transfers on their team. Syracuse, Penn State 2x, Ohio State, Illinois 2x, Rutgers, Eastern Michigan, Duke, NC State, UCF, FAU, BG, Maryland, Boise St, Pitt.

If YSU takes this team lightly, it could be a loss.

Paladin1aa
September 10th, 2019, 09:49 AM
Agree, Chief. Yet I see a different attitude this year compared to last year. I would also note the difference between each teams transfers. Duquesne’s transfers played little or not at all with their former schools. YSU, However, got transfers who were former starters at their prior schools or played significantly. Jones a 2 year C starter at WVU, Jones a S starter at Vanderbilt, our OG starter at Tenn Tech for several years, etc.

I also note that D-II Walsh, who the Dukes beat, is currently a very weak program. Saw nothing there that’s impressive. YSU has a road win over Samford who is as good or probably better than the Dukes and handled Howard who may have the Best QB that YSU will face this year.

YSU needs to improve at QB and special teams, but Duquesne is the type of team that the Guins should have a chance to improve the current areas of weaknesses.

ngineer
September 10th, 2019, 12:19 PM
Certainly, he Dukes are underdogs, but they are capable of biting if taken lightly. Wouldn't be surprised to see them keep it close for a half. YSU, 38-17.

Paladin1aa
September 10th, 2019, 01:54 PM
I’ll go with the average of previous games -

Youngstown State. 42- 17

ASU33
September 10th, 2019, 03:25 PM
YSU 38-17

Derby City Duke
September 11th, 2019, 07:39 AM
YSU 35-13

Paladin1aa
September 11th, 2019, 11:45 AM
As is typical with the YSU athletic dept., went to the site to read YSU game notes for the Duquesne game with lineups, etc and found they posted “Duquesne’s History” there instead of YSU notes. You would think some of the morons they employ there would be fired, but no, the good ol boy club rolls on. Disgusting.

ysubigred
September 12th, 2019, 10:10 AM
As is typical with the YSU athletic dept., went to the site to read YSU game notes for the Duquesne game with lineups, etc and found they posted “Duquesne’s History” there instead of YSU notes. You would think some of the morons they employ there would be fired, but no, the good ol boy club rolls on. Disgusting.

Damn them below is DU's xthumbsupx

https://s3.amazonaws.com/goduquesne.com/documents/2019/9/10/19_GameNotes_02_Youngstown_State.pdf

Paladin1aa
September 12th, 2019, 11:01 AM
YSU leads the FCS nation in rushing and run TDs. After 2 games they average 365.5 yds per game rushing and run for 9 TDs, tops in FCS.

Red - today’s Trib carries YSU starting & two deeps with some surprises . The transfers and Jucos are making a HUGE difference. I’m looking at a blow out win.

ysubigred
September 12th, 2019, 01:22 PM
YSU leads the FCS nation in rushing and run TDs. After 2 games they average 365.5 yds per game rushing and run for 9 TDs, tops in FCS.

Red - today’s Trib carries YSU starting & two deeps with some surprises . The transfers and Jucos are making a HUGE difference. I’m looking at a blow out win.

What about the punter? I'd just like a complete and solid game from the Guins for the first time since late 2016

Paladin1aa
September 12th, 2019, 03:32 PM
Red - imagine , if you will, that the Head Coach has a LS that is using up his eligibility and will graduate. You’d recruit a LS. They did. Never mind that they had no other. Then , imagine that your punter has another year of eligibility but COULD graduate. And, imagine that you have no other. Then, factor in that you berate said punter, trash him at every turn, make scapegoat of him and then act shocked when he forgoes his eligibility and graduates. Also note, no punter was recruited.

Now the emergency punter had a good first game. Yet had problems that don’t make sense unless he had injury. Of course they didn’t have another.

Now, I’ll say nothing about the kid trying. Instead , I’m pointing the finger at an inept HC who is getting a pass because he is a local boy who formerly was HC at a National program who didn’t beat his serious competition while steamrolling the lessers that he outspent in recruiting.

Otherwise.......

Go Guins

Paladin1aa
September 13th, 2019, 04:38 PM
5dimes has YSU as a 14.5 favorite. Expect that margin only if YSU subs a lot. It’s going to be ugly in the trenches.

KPSUL
September 13th, 2019, 06:59 PM

Dartmouth played UNH 9 times during the Wildcats' 14 year playoff run, 2004-2017. Yale played Maine last season, and frequently plays tougher OOC opponents. Harvard has played no one worthy of mention as of recent except for URI who surprised the S_ _ _ out of them and everyone else they played last year. I don't pay much attention to Princeton's OOC schedule.

penguinpower
September 13th, 2019, 07:11 PM

Well that's how many people feel but not necessarily what the poll voters think

Paladin1aa
September 14th, 2019, 02:34 PM
YSU 21-7 at the half. Playing lots of guys - 3 QBs, two teams on O and D, getting some experience.

ysubigred
September 14th, 2019, 02:37 PM
YSU 21-7 at the half. Playing lots of guys - 3 QBs, two teams on O and D, getting some experience.****ing dumb penalties good lord[emoji35]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Paladin1aa
September 14th, 2019, 02:47 PM
Yep, too many dumb penalties, Red. Punting is bad again.

ysubigred
September 14th, 2019, 03:25 PM
Yep, too many dumb penalties, Red. Punting is bad again.I'm hoping this is playing down to their competitors. Special teams is special needs.

ytownchief22
September 14th, 2019, 04:09 PM
Special teams stink. Plain and simple. Punt units are awful.

Paladin1aa
September 14th, 2019, 04:11 PM
Another game of 100+ yds in penalties. Kicking game has weak spots.

But YSU toys with the Dukes winning 34-14. Played a lot of guys trying to build some depth.

ysubigred
September 14th, 2019, 04:15 PM
Another game of 100+ yds in penalties. Kicking game has weak spots.

But YSU toys with the Dukes winning 34-14. Played a lot of guys trying to build some depth.Clean up the penalties find a punter and it might be good[emoji106]

penguinpower
September 14th, 2019, 05:47 PM
Complete bull**** targeting call in YSU. Football is no longer a manly sport. It has been pussified.

ysubigred
September 14th, 2019, 05:56 PM
Complete bull**** targeting call in YSU. Football is no longer a manly sport. It has been pussified.I didn't see it. Didn't hear to much push back from the outstanding radio personalities, but YSU has committed 245 yards worth of penalties against lesser competition in two games. I can't imagine how bad they'll be when the heat is turned up in the MVFC. The Defense needs to find some discipline because the Offense can't carry the team.

penguinpower
September 14th, 2019, 06:05 PM
I didn't see it. Didn't hear to much push back from the outstanding radio personalities, but YSU has committed 245 yards worth of penalties against lesser competition in two games. I can't imagine how bad they'll be when the heat is turned up in the MVFC. The Defense needs to find some discipline because the Offense can't carry the team.

It was a textbook sack by Reed and they didnt tho a flag. The replay official had looked at it anyway and then a flag came. You have to watch the play. It was a perfect hit to demoralize the QB. It was clearly not targeting.

penguinpower
September 14th, 2019, 06:08 PM
I didn't see it. Didn't hear to much push back from the outstanding radio personalities, but YSU has committed 245 yards worth of penalties against lesser competition in two games. I can't imagine how bad they'll be when the heat is turned up in the MVFC. The Defense needs to find some discipline because the Offense can't carry the team.

By the way, the radio personalities said is was a BS call in their lighthearted way saying that "the game of football as we know it has changed" because Ed Muransky texted Hannon while in the booth. Everyone thought it was ****ing bull****

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, the radio personalities said is was a BS call in their lighthearted way saying that "the game of football as we know it has changed" because Ed Muransky texted Hannon while in the booth. Everyone thought it was ****ing bull****

- - - Updated - - -

why does it post twice from my phone?

Paladin1aa
September 14th, 2019, 06:42 PM
The Guins are pretty tough in both trenches, but 245 yds in penalties in two games should raise major concerns. We will finish 4-0 easy in the OOC games, but they have to clean up their act AND fix the kicking games. You can’t just dominate the LOS on the OL and DL, cause penalties or poor kicking game will cost you in close games.

ysubigred
September 14th, 2019, 07:01 PM

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

why does it post twice from my phone?By the way what part of the radio personalities didn't give much push back equate to they didn't say it wasn't BS they didn't sound to distraught. Was entering UKs tailgate area didn't hear what Meatchicken Ed said. I just watched a UK Safety ejected for targeting. I think it's a bull **** call unless it's malicious in nature. [emoji2958]

ytownchief22
September 14th, 2019, 07:08 PM
Think the Reed ejection was BS too. If any flag should've been thrown, it should've been the white flag for the poor RT who was getting abused all game long.

penguinpower
September 14th, 2019, 09:01 PM
Why can't I just upload a video?

penguinpower
September 14th, 2019, 09:17 PM
His head went back from the impact. This was a total BS call. They should penalize the tackle for sucking so bad. This is the pussification of football millennial style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmUsnEyUsTk

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCbOxR5Mf3s

TheKingpin28
September 14th, 2019, 09:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmUsnEyUsTk

That's targeting?

Paladin1aa
September 14th, 2019, 09:26 PM
Reed hit him like a guided missle, head in his chest. No one on the field threw a flag. Play was stopped by an official upstairs, reviewed and then flagged. Very bad call and Reed will miss the first half of the Robert Morris game. Reed played a he11 of a game.

penguinpower
September 14th, 2019, 09:28 PM
That's targeting?

In today's world it is ......The best part.....wasn't called on the field. The replay booth called for targeting not the field officials. Never seen that before. Ever.

penguinpower
September 14th, 2019, 09:31 PM
Think the Reed ejection was BS too. If any flag should've been thrown, it should've been the white flag for the poor RT who was getting abused all game long.

Wow we are certainly thinking the same way. I hadn't read your post but we are certainly on the same page. The RT got blown up play after play. They couldn't stop Reed even when trying to double team him

TheKingpin28
September 14th, 2019, 09:33 PM
In today's world it is ......The best part.....wasn't called on the field. The replay booth called for targeting not the field officials. Never seen that before. Ever.

****, that's one of the reasons as to why football is becoming tough to watch. When I was in school, that hit is what got the coach fired up and made sure you saw the field more frequently.

penguinpower
September 14th, 2019, 09:40 PM
By the way what part of the radio personalities didn't give much push back equate to they didn't say it wasn't BS they didn't sound to distraught. Was entering UKs tailgate area didn't hear what Meatchicken Ed said. I just watched a UK Safety ejected for targeting. I think it's a bull **** call unless it's malicious in nature. [emoji2958]

Check out the videos in the thread.

penguinpower
September 14th, 2019, 09:41 PM
****, that's one of the reasons as to why football is becoming tough to watch. When I was in school, that hit is what got the coach fired up and made sure you saw the field more frequently.

Someone needs to go the league office and complain. Otherwise they will soften the Valley with this kind of BS

ysubigred
September 14th, 2019, 09:58 PM
Check out the videos in the thread.Thanks. 3 kids from Ky got put out of the game for targeting and changed the whole game. I hate that call. Reed got railroaded. I've said for years the Guins get ****ed at home by the Refs especially MVFC refs.

clenz
September 14th, 2019, 10:45 PM
Crown of the helmet to the head of the QB

I mean that's pretty textbook

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190915/080cda0c0d1a115475f6ecce1eb301a3.jpg

Head to the side, which has been the standard technique to be taught for a while now, avoids a player getting called for it in cases like this

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Go Green
September 16th, 2019, 08:04 AM

And the Ivy wins most of those games.

ysubigred
September 16th, 2019, 08:22 AM
And the Ivy wins most of those games.

Take your Ivy's and shove them in you ass! Quit hijacking thread's with non-sense.

http://www.snarksquad.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/ohnoyoudidnt1.gif

clenz
September 16th, 2019, 08:56 AM
And get crushed by MVFC and CAA teams.

A few other thoughts

You can't claim the NEC is overlooked and on par with the Ivy but them claim the Ivy dines on the NEC.....

I'm interested in just how the NEC actually schedules. Given that the other Duquesne thread showed me the play more non D1s and PFL teams than anyone else. I think I have a project to work on this week

ysubigred
September 16th, 2019, 08:59 AM
And get crushed by MVFC and CAA teams.

A few other thoughts

You can't claim the NEC is overlooked and on par with the Ivy but them claim the Ivy dines on the NEC.....

I'm interested in just how the NEC actually schedules. Given that the other Duquesne thread showed me the play more non D1s and PFL teams than anyone else. I think I have a project to work on this week

Get em' Clenz!!

Bluefish845
September 17th, 2019, 03:28 PM
That's targeting?

He lead with his head down, will be targeting every time

clenz
September 20th, 2019, 04:30 PM
Hey Ace...I went back through the last 305 OOC games for the NEC.

How detailed you want me to get in the stats show just how bad your conference is

Overall record is 131-174 and you've been outscored by 1,057 points.

If we take sub D1 games out - which as a conference there have been 46 of those (FIFTEEN PERCENT OF YOUR CONFERENCES SCHEDULE IS NON D1 GAMES) the NEC is 85-171 and been outscored by over 2,200 points. YOU'RE WIN PERCENTAGE AGAINST DIVISION 1 TEAMS THAT AREN'T PART OF THE NEC IS 32 PERCENT

The Ivy feasts on the PFL PL and NEC?

The NEC has played 46 games against the PL and 42 against the PFL. 88 games is over 1/3 of your conferences OOC schedule.

If you add non D1s you get another 46 games.

HALF OF YOUR CONFERENCES SCHEDULE IS THE LEVEL THAT YOU COMPLAIN THE IVY FEASTS ON!!!!

How deep you want me to cut? I'll keep going and show you by conference and then by ranked.

Things get real ugly when I do numbers against ranked teams