PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Week #3 Pick 'em and Power Poll

ElCid
September 8th, 2019, 07:33 AM
Predictions

- Furman at Va Tech – Va Tech has been fading lately, but they will handle Furman with not too much drama – 44-17
- Chattanooga at Tennessee – The Vols are 0-2 and ripe for the Mocs…just kidding, they are pissed and will take it out on them – 48-9
- The Citadel at Ga Tech – Of the 3 FBS games this week, I think the Dogs have the best shot, not a good one, but the best; Ga Tech is still trying to find their new offensive scheme…but then again, the Dogs are still trying to find their legs as well; They had a good O the first game, them a bad outing, but I will point to some hurricane hangover for that, at least a little bit; The Dogs special teams was lights out against Elon (two blocked punts deep in Elon territory and an onsides kick recovery) … all three resulted in TDs for the Dogs, so they know how to fight hard as a team; GaTech knows how to defend against the option, they have been beaten down by Clemson and barely squeaked by a bad South Florida team, they will be hungry; if the Dogs can put it all together, and improve their D a little bit, they have a shot, but I fear GaTech will finally put their new scheme together first – 42-17
- North Greenville at WCU – The Cats may be reeling if the whole player suspension thing gets worse; I am going to assume it plays itself out and the players involved are disciplined, repentant and playing on Saturday – 41-21
- Samford at Wofford – Will Samford stick to their air raid or try to run a little more? Will Wofford go full hog option again? Interesting to see what will happen. I am going to go with Wofford as it returns to its old ways including a stout D that "finally" handles Samford… Wofford hasn’t beaten Samford the last 4 times up – 31-28
- Austin Peay at Mercer – The Peay had Central Arkansas on the ropes only to lose late last week. Mercer has handled them so far, (3-0 the last few years) but the Peay is better…but so is Mercer, Bears win home comfortably – 41-24
- VMI at ETSU – VMI had lots of close games last year; if this was in Lexington I would pick the Keydets, but on the road…gotta go with the Bucs – 37-28

Week 1 Power Ranking

1. Furman – Looked real good and almost got a scalp
2. Mercer – Easily handled the Hose
3. ETSU – did what they were supposed to
4. The Citadel – Two one score losses to CAA playoff teams; in position to win both, but defense couldn’t get late stops
5. Chattanooga – Knew their O was still wanting
6. Wofford – Hope they used their extra week wisely
7. Samford – I moved them up even though they didn’t play because they just have too much talent to not be taken seriously
8. VMI – searching hard for that elusive Div I victory; took care of business with the planet school
9. WCU – about how I expected it

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 8th, 2019, 08:25 AM
I was 7-0 this past week. Furman and The Citadel had nothing to be ashamed of while a surprise development at WCU put a damper on things. Using the same three groups from last week, here's where I have it:

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER
Mercer - look at you killing it on the road
Furman - look at you giving a valiant effort
Chattanooga - wound up in a bad place vs. Jacksonville State

THEY WERE WHO I THOUGHT THEY WERE
The Citadel - STILL had nothing to be ashamed of
East Tennessee State - look at you kicking off your home slate with a beatdown
VMI - look at you killing it at home as well

WOW, JUST WOW
Wofford - still in the doghouse from last week
Western Carolina - could this be the season for them?
Samford - also still in the doghouse from the last couple of weeks

Week 3 Games
Furman @ Virginia Tech - Hokies whoop up on the Paladins
The Citadel @ Georgia Tech - Jackets sting the Bulldogs
North Greenville @ Western Carolina - Please don't screw this up
Samford @ Wofford - Bulldogs have all the answers
Austin Peay @ Mercer - Bears show up and show out
VMI @ ETSU - Bucs will be too much for the Keydets

Chattanooga @ Tennessee - I never thought I would be writing this. I grew up watching Tennessee football in East Tennessee as a progeny of a Clemson alumnus. The last time I saw Tennessee have that poor of a start was 1988. I never saw Tennessee play that poorly again until 2005. Tennessee had one of those seasons again in 2008 which saw Fulmer get canned a few days before the Wyoming game (Tennessee lost that one, thank you Mike Hamilton). Since then, we have a carousel of coaches until Butch Jones who I thought was the second coming of Robert Neyland but in reality he turned out to be well, I will defer to Jauan Jennings. When the 2017 season ended, Tennessee attempted to hire Greg Schiano (someone the Oregon fanbase did not want a year earlier) which led to John Currie get canned as AD. Fulmer becomes AD who in turn hires Jeremy Pruitt. I was expecting Tennessee to get much better this season but it appears Pruitt has put too much faith in Jarrett Guarantano who is to Tennessee was Skyler Morninwheg was to Florida (who eventually wound up at Columbia where he s*** the bed there). I know Randy Sanders would not have allowed this to happen (see ETSU from last year). UPDATED: Bryce Thompson's return helps key Big Brother to their first win.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 8th, 2019, 08:29 AM
I did not see your thread when I did my post.

ElCid
September 8th, 2019, 09:39 AM
I did not see your thread when I did my post.

I asked Ursus to combine.

JSUSoutherner
September 8th, 2019, 09:42 AM
Give me all the home teams.

Except Mercer.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 8th, 2019, 09:55 AM

thanks

ursus arctos horribilis
September 8th, 2019, 10:24 AM
Done.

PaladinFan
September 8th, 2019, 10:42 AM
I was really impressed by what I saw from Furman Saturday night.

Darren Grainger looks every bit the real deal. I said in the preseason that QB was Furman's big question mark, and after two games, he has answered every question I had about him.

Defense didn't have a great night, but I think that was more to do with the opponent than massive holes on that side of the ball. I imagine they will look a lot better in FCS play. Of course, we don't get that luxury until next week.

FUGameBreaker
September 8th, 2019, 11:20 AM
I was really impressed by what I saw from Furman Saturday night.

Darren Grainger looks every bit the real deal. I said in the preseason that QB was Furman's big question mark, and after two games, he has answered every question I had about him.

Defense didn't have a great night, but I think that was more to do with the opponent than massive holes on that side of the ball. I imagine they will look a lot better in FCS play. Of course, we don't get that luxury until next week.

Do you know why our starting CB Weems did not play? Is he injured?

PaladinNation
September 8th, 2019, 11:44 AM
Weems and Maples both didn't play - Cally Chizik played most if not all of the second half for Trapp. So, Furman played most of the game with two freshmen corners.

Looks like we will continue to see the heavy offensive line rotation. The GSU announcers seemed confused by Furman's strategy - basically considering it a negative - not sure based on how productive the O was that's true. Furman's rotating at center, guard and tackle.

Lost in the shuffle of Furman's three- headed running back monster is the play of RSFR fullback Devin Abrams - two game totals - 50 yards rushing 1 td, 52 yards receiving 1 td. I'd love to know his block rating?

gofurman
September 8th, 2019, 12:09 PM
Any idea if Weems or Trapp or Maples are back soon?

SU DOG
September 8th, 2019, 02:05 PM
Wait, is ElCid's thread going to turn into another Furman Roster and personnel discussion? I will agree that the Paladins are playing really good, and have nothing to be ashamed of concerning the game last night. But to the topic:

Va Tech
Vols
Ga Tech
WCU
Wofford(Ouch that hurts, but if our defense doesn't show a miraculous improvement things could get ugly).
Mercer
ETSU
I invoke the 5th for now on a Power Rating.

FUBeAR
September 8th, 2019, 02:39 PM
Give me all the home teams.

Except Mercer.
OVC Homer pick.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 8th, 2019, 02:42 PM
The Citadel at Tech could potentially get interesting. Tech's offense is terrible and it's not going to be an offense that is going to make the Citadel uncomfortable.

I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see Furman beat Virginia Tech, though I don't expect them to. ODU competed with Tech and ODU could've easily lost to Norfolk State.

Tennessee is bad, but I don't think they'll have trouble with UTC.

I think Samford will beat Wofford. Didn't see any of Wofford versus SCSU so I didn't get to see their offense, but I've got a hunch Conklin is trying to fix what isn't broken. Big mistake.

The Cats
September 8th, 2019, 03:43 PM
Furman at Va Tech
Chattanooga at Tennessee
The Citadel at Georgia Tech
North Greenville at Western Carolina
Samford at Wofford
Austin Peay at Mercer
VMI at ETSU

1. Furman
2. Mercer
3. ETSU
4. The Citadel
5. Wofford
6. VMI (this is the year)
7. Chattanooga
8. Samford
9. WCU

Mocs123
September 8th, 2019, 03:56 PM
@The Cats - I'd give you crap about ranking Chattanooga 7th but I saw you put your own team 9th. I certainly hope you aren't right about Chattanooga but there isn't a SoCon team out there I don't worry about this year.

What's the word on Tyrie? Is he expected to be back next week or is this rumored to be a rest of the year type thing? How is your backup/future QB situation?

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 8th, 2019, 04:50 PM

Tennessee was not supposed to be 0-2, but they are. If Pruitt is still the coach for the Chattanooga game and if by some sense, semblance, miracle or God's grace Chattanooga shows up Big Brother, Pruitt's as good as fired.

kdinva
September 8th, 2019, 05:17 PM
Furman 27 at Va Tech 40
UTC 20 at Tennessee 31
The Citadel 24 at Georgia Tech 31
North Greenville 14 at Western Carolina 24
Samford 28 at Wofford 30
Austin Peay 20 at Mercer 34
VMI 27 at ETSU 35

bonarae
September 8th, 2019, 05:33 PM
Furman at Va Tech
Chattanooga at Tennessee
The Citadel at Georgia Tech
North Greenville at Western Carolina
Samford at Wofford
Austin Peay at Mercer
VMI at ETSU

gofurman
September 8th, 2019, 07:16 PM
The Citadel at Tech could potentially get interesting. Tech's offense is terrible and it's not going to be an offense that is going to make the Citadel uncomfortable.

I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see Furman beat Virginia Tech, though I don't expect them to. ODU competed with Tech and ODU could've easily lost to Norfolk State.

I think Samford will beat Wofford. Didn't see any of Wofford versus SCSU so I didn't get to see their offense, but I've got a hunch Conklin is trying to fix what isn't broken. Big mistake.

yeah, if they go back to option I think WOff will be fine. If they stay w air raid' they are in trouble for now

The Cats
September 8th, 2019, 08:36 PM
@The Cats - I'd give you crap about ranking Chattanooga 7th but I saw you put your own team 9th. I certainly hope you aren't right about Chattanooga but there isn't a SoCon team out there I don't worry about this year.

What's the word on Tyrie? Is he expected to be back next week or is this rumored to be a rest of the year type thing? How is your backup/future QB situation?

We don't know the situation right now, if it was a one game or multi game suspension. We've got a pretty good back up, he just needs the reps and playing time. I'm sure he learned a lot in the State game.

The folks are Western aren't know for being transparent in putting out information, unless it reflects positively.

PaladinFan
September 8th, 2019, 08:54 PM
We don't know the situation right now, if it was a one game or multi game suspension. We've got a pretty good back up, he just needs the reps and playing time. I'm sure he learned a lot in the State game.

The folks are Western aren't know for being transparent in putting out information, unless it reflects positively.

Which, itself, may tell you it isn't great news.

PaladinFan
September 8th, 2019, 10:01 PM
Tennessee was not supposed to be 0-2, but they are. If Pruitt is still the coach for the Chattanooga game and if by some sense, semblance, miracle or God's grace Chattanooga shows up Big Brother, Pruitt's as good as fired.

Unfortunately, I think UTC is probably going to face a team ready for any sort of momentum swing.

gofurman
September 8th, 2019, 10:04 PM
PaladinFan, I sent you a PM - check it out. would be interested in your thoughts. thanks much !

Mocs123
September 9th, 2019, 06:14 AM
Unfortunately, I think UTC is probably going to face a team ready for any sort of momentum swing.

Unfortunately I think you are right. UTK will be itching to take out their frustrations on Chattanooga. I know there are those that think Chattanooga has a shot at beating them, and I hope they are right, but I think it's a blowout.

walliver
September 9th, 2019, 08:40 AM
Predictions:
Furman at Virginia Tech - The Hokies may not have a GSU offense, but they do have an actual defense. Non Duke/Wake Forest ACC teams are hard to beat and VT prevails 28-14
Chattanooga at Tennessee - I'm old enough to remember when Tennessee was a perennial national power. They may be bad, but they are SEC bad and win 35-10.
The Citadel at Georgia Tech - This would have been a great game to watch if Paul Johnson hadn't stepped down. Nate Woody is gone as DC, so the Citadel may have some success moving the ball. An upset is possible, but not likely. GT wins 31-23
North Greenville at WCU - If Tyrie plays, the Cats win be 28, if not the Cants win 21-17
Samford at Wofford - likely a low scoring affair and Terriers defense needs to come ready to play, because I have my doubts on offense. I always pick the T-Dogs (even against the Tiggers later this year), and predict a 20-13 Wofford win.
Austin Peay at Mercer - The Bears are playing well and win 35-20
VMI at ETSU - The Mountain Pirates are tough at home and win 31-17

Power Rankings:
1) Furman - despite their loss, no-one in the SoCon has a signature win yet, so they are here until they lose a FCS game
2) Mercer - Beating PC doesn't count for much but they did win
3-9) No one really stands out here

gofurman
September 9th, 2019, 09:32 AM
for informational purposes FU is a 21 point underdog to VT.. Chatt is a 28 point underdog to UT ... and the Citadel is 36 point underdog at GTech (that might be a little much in my opinion)

use link here.. click college at top left / search Furman or Chattanooga etc

https://www.5dimes.eu/livelines/livelines.aspx

(https://www.5dimes.eu/livelines/livelines.aspx)

Mocs123
September 9th, 2019, 09:54 AM
Chattanooga 14
Tennessee 35 – The Vols are not playing good football, but they are talented and they take out their frustrations on the Mocs this week.

Furman 21
Virginia Tech 41 – ACC foe is just too much for a talented Furman team

The Citadel 17
Georgia Tech 35 – Maybe the best chance for a P5 scalp this week, but Tech pulls away late

North Greenville 28
Western Carolina 35 – I reserve the right to change this pick later in the week if more comes out about the suspensions at WCU. If the suspension situation gets ugly, it could be a bad week for WCU and their fans.

Samford 31
Wofford 34 – Samford has had Wofford’s number the past few years, and both teams have had disappointing seasons so far, but my guess is the Terriers have been dusting off the option this week and the Samford D runs out of gas late in the game.

Austin Peay 27
Mercer 45 – The Bears have looked impressive thus far this season, and I think they roll over a pretty good OVC team.

VMI 27
ETSU 31 – VMI is going to knock off a SoCon team this year, but it won’t be this week. The Bucs win at home.

Power Ranking
Furman – Appear to be the best team in the SoCon
Mercer – Look really good vs subpar competition
Wofford – Contender for the SoCon if they return to the option
Chattanooga – It may be a couple of weeks before we know more about this team
The Citadel – Not sure where to put them yet – middle of the pack for now
ETSU – Still waiting to see how good the offense is, the defense is legit.
Samford- Offense looks good again, D not so much.
Western Carolina – Are the wheels coming off in Cullowhee
VMI – Here until they win a D1 game

BearDownMU
September 9th, 2019, 09:57 AM
for informational purposes FU is a 21 point underdog to VT.. Chatt is a 28 point underdog to UT ... and the Citadel is 36 point underdog at GTech (that might be a little much in my opinion)

In a day or two, Live Lines should add a box called "College Xtra" that will have all FCS lines. Not there now, so you are only seeing FBS games.

ElCid
September 9th, 2019, 12:59 PM

Yeah, I thought our spread was a bit too high. It may we'll come down because I would take us and the points all day long...if I gambled. Even with the highest spread, I still think we have the best shot. Not a great shot, but who the heck knows what is going on in Atlanta right now.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 9th, 2019, 04:45 PM
Update from Knoxville: It appears Guarantano will start per KNS. This is the definition of insanity.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 9th, 2019, 04:47 PM
Unfortunately I think you are right. UTK will be itching to take out their frustrations on Chattanooga. I know there are those that think Chattanooga has a shot at beating them, and I hope they are right, but I think it's a blowout.

And I was the only one out there who thought Florida was going to lose to Georgia Southern a few years back and (along with the late catamount man) believed that The Citadel would beat USC and we all know how that went.

ElCid
September 9th, 2019, 05:22 PM
And I was the only one out there who thought Florida was going to lose to Georgia Southern a few years back and (along with the late catamount man) believed that The Citadel would beat USC and we all know how that went.

Well I hope you get that kind of feeling again. We need a W something bad. If we can get our O into gear and special teams keeps it going, the way Tech's O has played, our D might look half way decent...maybe we can win this one. Hopefully they are overconfident and we can sneak by them before they realize what is going on.

FUBeAR
September 9th, 2019, 08:03 PM
Ruh....roh...more bad news out of SparkleBurg - https://www.goupstate.com/sports/20190909/injuries-hit-wofford-defensive-line

Feel really bad for the young men; particularly for Mangum & his family - sux big ol’ donkey reproductive organs to have your career ended by injury so early in your ‘last ride.’

woffy football - nope...not an ounce of sympathy. Well, actually, FUBeAR has exactly as much sympathy for Woffy football and their fans as they had for Mercer last year when the Bears backup QB had to play from the 2nd series on as long as he could on, essentially, 1 leg & the Bears starting All SoCon RB was knocked out with a severe (pretty much career ending) shoulder injury in that same series. FUBeAR’s reciprocal sympathy is perfectly efficient.

PaladinFan
September 9th, 2019, 08:20 PM
Ruh....roh...more bad news out of SparkleBurg - https://www.goupstate.com/sports/20190909/injuries-hit-wofford-defensive-line

Feel really bad for the young men; particularly for Mangum & his family - sux big ol’ donkey reproductive organs to have your career ended by injury so early in your ‘last ride.’

woffy football - nope...not an ounce of sympathy. Well, actually, FUBeAR has exactly as much sympathy for Woffy football and their fans as they had for Mercer last year when the Bears backup QB had to play from the 2nd series on as long as he could on, essentially, 1 leg & the Bears starting All SoCon RB was knocked out with a severe (pretty much career ending) shoulder injury in that same series. FUBeAR’s reciprocal sympathy is clearly efficient.

That's not good.

gofurman
September 10th, 2019, 12:26 AM
That's not good.

Ooh. Safety Strawter and LB Brown - out indefinite.. were they starters ? Big losses in all conf DE Mangum (slight chance he is back late year) and Horton out for year as all conf DL NG.

Mocs123
September 10th, 2019, 05:19 AM
Big losses on D and a (ill advised) transition to an air raid offense. This was supposed to be a big year for Wofford, it will be interesting to see what they salvage out of the season.

PaladinFan
September 10th, 2019, 06:25 AM
Big losses on D and a (ill advised) transition to an air raid offense. This was supposed to be a big year for Wofford, it will be interesting to see what they salvage out of the season.

This Saturday's game is huge for them. Samford might be the SoCon team least likely to really expose weakness in the defensive line.

Incidentally, I don't think Wofford is trying to move to an air-raid offense. I think they are trying to copy what Furman is doing - multiple offense with elements of the option game, strong emphasis on the run, and a QB that can sling it when necessary.

PaladinNation
September 10th, 2019, 06:46 AM
This Saturday's game is huge for them. Samford might be the SoCon team least likely to really expose weakness in the defensive line.

Incidentally, I don't think Wofford is trying to move to an air-raid offense. I think they are trying to copy what Furman is doing - multiple offense with elements of the option game, strong emphasis on the run, and a QB that can sling it when necessary.

I've got a feeling your right. Still, I think that's easier said than done.
I don't think Wofford has the personnel. It could take years to develop.
That leaves us with coaching, you've got an OC that I wonder can scheme this?

FUBeAR
September 10th, 2019, 06:54 AM

https://media.giphy.com/media/VLj9Djl4DzR6w/giphy.gif

PaladinFan
September 10th, 2019, 07:56 AM

I think the whole thing is strangely executed.

I also do not think they are going to just "shift" back into an option-based offense. While that fits their personnel better, they haven't spent as much time on that offense this off season and are in a league where every team has a game plan for the option.

SCPALADIN
September 10th, 2019, 08:24 AM
I'm not sure which fan base it is more difficult to be right now, Wofford or WCU. This whole fiasco in Cullowhee with the suspensions and the administration's ineptitude isn't fair to the WCU fanbase.

SU DOG
September 10th, 2019, 08:43 AM
Sorry to hear of Wofford's young men having those injuries. As for Saturday, however, I'm not sure this is a big factor. If Oladokun plays like he has. then Samford will score their points with or without first line defenders. On the other hand, if our defense plays like they have thus far, we will not even slow the Terriers down, regardless of their offensive scheme. Wofford is still a 7.5 point favorite.

walliver
September 10th, 2019, 09:10 AM
Injuries are part of the game. We made the playoffs 3 years ago playing our 4th string quarterback and burned a redshirt in the process - too bad the new redshirt rules weren't retroactive. With the defensive injuries, however, the offense will need to step up.

I think the plan for the offense was to add new wrinkles, not eliminate what was working. To do this however, we need passing QBs (few of whom want to come to a program that doesn't pass much). Against SC State, there were a number of open receivers but the throws were off target. Our OC has long called plays like he is playing a video game and fails to acknowledge the strengths and weaknesses of the players on the field. Although I am a big fans of the triple option - I'm old enough to remember Wofford running the wishbone in 1969, I also realize that it has been a very long time since a true option team ran a 1-A/FBS "championship" and has also been a long time since Georgia Southern last won a FCS championship. Despite some of his beginner mistakes, I believe Josh Conklin has the goal of competing for a National Championship and changes need to be made. I also believe you can run the option and pass the ball effectively, too. With most of our shotgun/pistol formations, we could easily pass the ball if we get players with the right skill set on the field. I suspect it will be another year of two before we can effectively execute the offense Conklin wants to run.

PaladinFan
September 10th, 2019, 09:48 AM
Sorry to hear of Wofford's young men having those injuries. As for Saturday, however, I'm not sure this is a big factor. If Oladokun plays like he has. then Samford will score their points with or without first line defenders. On the other hand, if our defense plays like they have thus far, we will not even slow the Terriers down, regardless of their offensive scheme. Wofford is still a 7.5 point favorite.

This game will come down to Wofford's offense/Samford's defense I think.

If Wofford struggles to move the ball like they did last week, I think Samford wins in a runaway. If they can stay on the field and play Wofford football, Samford's defense has shown a tendency to fade in the second half.

PaladinFan
September 10th, 2019, 09:50 AM
Injuries are part of the game. We made the playoffs 3 years ago playing our 4th string quarterback and burned a redshirt in the process - too bad the new redshirt rules weren't retroactive. With the defensive injuries, however, the offense will need to step up.

I think the plan for the offense was to add new wrinkles, not eliminate what was working. To do this however, we need passing QBs (few of whom want to come to a program that doesn't pass much). Against SC State, there were a number of open receivers but the throws were off target. Our OC has long called plays like he is playing a video game and fails to acknowledge the strengths and weaknesses of the players on the field. Although I am a big fans of the triple option - I'm old enough to remember Wofford running the wishbone in 1969, I also realize that it has been a very long time since a true option team ran a 1-A/FBS "championship" and has also been a long time since Georgia Southern last won a FCS championship. Despite some of his beginner mistakes, I believe Josh Conklin has the goal of competing for a National Championship and changes need to be made. I also believe you can run the option and pass the ball effectively, too. With most of our shotgun/pistol formations, we could easily pass the ball if we get players with the right skill set on the field. I suspect it will be another year of two before we can effectively execute the offense Conklin wants to run.

This is more or less the point I am trying to make about Wofford wanting to shift into an offense that looks like what Furman is doing right now.

The Paladins run the ball a lot. They run option out of the gun and under center. They play with a fullback. They also have a mobile QB with a big arm and receivers that can go get it.

FUBeAR
September 10th, 2019, 10:00 AM
FUBeAR is sure that Coach Conklin wants to win a National Championship as the Head Coach at Wofford, but PossiblyCynicalFUBeAR thinks the changes he is making to Wofford’s Offense are more about Career Management. In order to land a G5 Head Coaching gig from an FCS school these days, being tagged as an “option” Head Coach seriously limits the number of programs that will consider hiring such. Not necessarily a bad thing - but I think he saw how Mike Houston fled ‘the option’ when he landed a springboard gig at JMU. I don’t know if Woffy is a springboard, but Coach Conklin has been a 2-4 year guy at each rung of the Coaching ladder. I don’t think he felt he could wait to shed the ‘option’ label from Woffy if he’s going to be in a position to grab that next rung for 2020 or 2021.

Mocs123
September 10th, 2019, 10:06 AM
That's a good point. There aren't many places to go in FBS if your an option coach.

FUGameBreaker
September 10th, 2019, 10:22 AM
Sam @ Woff this Saturday feels like a must win game for both programs this season

PaladinFan
September 10th, 2019, 11:19 AM
Sam @ Woff this Saturday feels like a must win game for both programs this season

No doubt, though particularly for Samford.

If Samford loses, and with Auburn still on the schedule, I think they'll have to win out in FCS play to have a shot at the post season. That's a tall order.

Mocs123
September 10th, 2019, 11:46 AM
Right now assuming no FBS scalps, both Wofford and Samford have 9 potential D1 wins this year, as do all the teams in the SoCon except for Chattanooga who has 10, and Mercer that has 11.

All in all I think Mercer has provided themselves the easiest road to the playoffs especially after adding PC. They may not win the SoCon autobid, but if they beat Austin Peay this week could finish 5-3 in conference play and still have 8 wins, they could go 4-4 and have 7 wins and be on the bubble.

Chattanooga and The Citadel have put up or shut up schedules that are difficult and will force us to be really successful in the SoCon to get a playoff bid.

Furman, VMI, WCU, and ETSU didn't do themselves any favors scheduling for getting a playoff invite. I don't think it matters to Furman as I think they are good enough to get in despite their schedule, and it doesn't matter for VMI or WCU either as I don't think they would have gone either way, but it might end up biting ETSU. Wofford didn't help themselves either by only scheduling 11 games this year.

Chattanooga - 10 potential (SoCon Slate, JMU)
The Citadel - 9 Potential (SoCon Slate, CSU)
Furman - 9 Potential (SoCon Slate)
Mercer - 11 potential (SoCon Slate, Austin Peay, Campblell)
Samford - 9 Potential (SoCon Slate, Alabama A&M)
VMI - 9 Potential (SoCon Slate, Robert Morris)
Western Carolina 9 potential (SoCon Slate minus Mercer, Gardner Webb)
Wofford - 9 potential (SoCon Slate, Gardner Webb)
ETSU, - 9 potential (SoCon Slate, Austin Peay)

PaladinFan
September 10th, 2019, 11:53 AM
Right now assuming no FBS scalps, both Wofford and Samford have 9 potential D1 wins this year, as do all the teams in the SoCon except for Chattanooga who has 10, and Mercer that has 11.

All in all I think Mercer has provided themselves the easiest road to the playoffs especially after adding PC. They may not win the SoCon autobid, but if they beat Austin Peay this week could finish 5-3 in conference play and still have 8 wins, they could go 4-4 and have 7 wins and be on the bubble.

Chattanooga and The Citadel have put up or shut up schedules that are difficult and will force us to be really successful in the SoCon to get a playoff bid.

Furman, VMI, WCU, and ETSU didn't do themselves any favors scheduling for getting a playoff invite. I don't think it matters to Furman as I think they are good enough to get in despite their schedule, and it doesn't matter for VMI or WCU either as I don't think they would have gone either way, but it might end up biting ETSU. Wofford didn't help themselves either by only scheduling 11 games this year.

Chattanooga - 10 potential (SoCon Slate, JMU)
The Citadel - 9 Potential (SoCon Slate, CSU)
Furman - 9 Potential (SoCon Slate)
Mercer - 11 potential (SoCon Slate, Austin Peay, Campblell)
Samford - 9 Potential (SoCon Slate, Alabama A&M)
VMI - 9 Potential (SoCon Slate, Robert Morris)
Western Carolina 9 potential (SoCon Slate minus Mercer, Gardner Webb)
Wofford - 9 potential (SoCon Slate, Gardner Webb)
ETSU, - 9 potential (SoCon Slate, Austin Peay)

I think Furman will go at least 6-2 in SoCon play. That would put them at 8-4 assuming a loss to VT and win over Point. I think Furman is in the playoffs at 8-4.

My gut says they'll finish better than that. I think by week three Furman will have played its toughest opponents and will likely be favored in every game until the end of the season. That and a nickel doesn't buy you anything, though.

Mocs123
September 10th, 2019, 12:41 PM
I think 6-2 will win the SoCon this year. Furman looks tough, Mercer looks tough, Samford is still going to score points, Wofford could still be very very good, ETSU's D is for real, and I think Chattanooga will be a factor. Add in to that that The Citadel is 0-2 but has two close losses to good teams and they always play tough, WCU still has Tyrie (maybe), and VMI looks to have improved, and I don't think anyone gets through the SoCon without a scar or two.

PaladinFan
September 10th, 2019, 12:54 PM
I think 6-2 will win the SoCon this year. Furman looks tough, Mercer looks tough, Samford is still going to score points, Wofford could still be very very good, ETSU's D is for real, and I think Chattanooga will be a factor. Add in to that that The Citadel is 0-2 but has two close losses to good teams and they always play tough, WCU still has Tyrie (maybe), and VMI looks to have improved, and I don't think anyone gets through the SoCon without a scar or two.

Saying this will bite me, but after two weeks, Furman looks like the strongest SoCon front runner I have seen since UTC's team with Huesman/Cain/Bagley, etc.

There's a long way to go, but the Furman/Mercer contest next week will tell us a great deal about where those two teams are.

walliver
September 10th, 2019, 01:44 PM
That's a good point. There aren't many places to go in FBS if your an option coach.

Basically you can go to Army or Navy. I doubt Georgia Tech tries the option again anytime soon. Air Force tends to hire from within.

Although generally labelled as an option team, Wofford has long run a hodge-podge offense with options of various sorts from multiple formations as well as more standard run plays. What we haven't had, with a few exceptions, is a viable passing option.

I doubt are any young head coaches in FCS who don't plan to move up. Despite many fans' insistence that "our coach loves it here and will never move", they almost all do. Coaches like Mike Ayers or Jerry Moore are rare.

Mocs123
September 10th, 2019, 01:54 PM
I'm sure there isn't a coach in the SoCon that wouldn't move up if shown the $$. Even Rusty Wright, who played for Chattanooga, wife went to Chattanooga, and really wants to live here would head to a G5 for enough $$. My guess is Randy Sanders will go in a year or two if ETSU continues to be sucessful.

PaladinFan
September 10th, 2019, 02:31 PM
Basically you can go to Army or Navy. I doubt Georgia Tech tries the option again anytime soon. Air Force tends to hire from within.

Although generally labelled as an option team, Wofford has long run a hodge-podge offense with options of various sorts from multiple formations as well as more standard run plays. What we haven't had, with a few exceptions, is a viable passing option.

I doubt are any young head coaches in FCS who don't plan to move up. Despite many fans' insistence that "our coach loves it here and will never move", they almost all do. Coaches like Mike Ayers or Jerry Moore are rare.

Furman gets labeled an "option team" by most folks.

Even a Georgia State podcaster called us a "flex option" team in the week leading up to Saturday's game where Furman threw the ball for 311 yards.

Sometimes people just see what they want to see.

gofurman
September 10th, 2019, 06:45 PM
Saying this will bite me, but after two weeks, Furman looks like the strongest SoCon front runner I have seen since UTC's team with Huesman/Cain/Bagley, etc.

There's a long way to go, but the Furman/Mercer contest next week will tell us a great deal about where those two teams are.

don't say that stuff man.. no jinxes xnodx

gofurman
September 10th, 2019, 06:48 PM
Probably the Furman in me but I suspect Wofford does ok. They have the schedule to figure it out. bye week, weak Samford, G Webb, VMI before finally playing ETSU... that's as easy as you can get - not an insult just a real set up to help them correct what they had wrong

FUBeAR
September 10th, 2019, 07:41 PM

You may be right...

# 3 CHATTANOOGA -VS- MERCER

Team
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
Total

Chattanooga

Mercer

DATE:11/7/2015

SUPharmacist
September 10th, 2019, 09:52 PM
Virginia Tech
Tennessee
Georgia Tech
Western Carolina
Wofford
Mercer
East Tennessee State

PaladinFan
September 11th, 2019, 05:11 AM
Pretty nice compliments from VT's head coach in his press conference.

https://hokiesports.com/news/2019/9/9/football-hokies-still-a-work-in-progress-heading-into-furman-game.aspx

"I watched the film last night and their quarterback is playing at an incredible level," Fuente said. "He runs it, throws it, and then the triple option spreads you out. They do a little bit of everything. I was even more shocked to learn he's a redshirt freshman today. A really a talented team that went toe-to-toe with Georgia State, who beat Tennessee at Tennessee. They've got skilled players and a great team. Defensively, they're mixing up fronts and going back and forth, so that's going to be a challenge for us. We've got to have a great week of preparation this week [and] continue to build."

SU DOG
September 11th, 2019, 09:33 AM
According to info released today from STATS: Samford QB Chris Oladokun leads all of FCS in Passing Efficiency, Yds/Completion, Yds/Pass Attempt, and is tied for #1 in TDs. With numbers like this, I wonder if he might eventually work his way into a starting role with the Bulldogs - ya think? xcoffeex

FUBeAR
September 11th, 2019, 11:01 AM
According to info released today from STATS: Samford QB Chris Oladokun leads all of FCS in Passing Efficiency, Yds/Completion, Yds/Pass Attempt, and is tied for #1 in TDs. With numbers like this, I wonder if he might eventually work his way into a starting role with the Bulldogs - ya think? xcoffeexBearDownMU told me 3 of the Top 4 are SoCon - Riddle (Mercer) & Grainger (Furman) are the other 2. Hard to believe the Walter Payton Award Winning (now a Steeler) SoCon (Samford) QB graduates & QB play in the SoCon goes UP!

PASSING EFFICIENCY - Last updated September 8, 2019 - Through games September 7, 2019

RANK
NAME
TEAM
CL
POSITION
G
PASS ATT
PASS COM
INT
PASS YDS
PASS TD
PASS EFF

Chris Oladokun
Samford (https://www.ncaa.com/schools/samford)
Jr.
QB

Breylin Smith
Central Ark. (https://www.ncaa.com/schools/central-ark)
So.
QB

Darren Grainger
Furman (https://www.ncaa.com/schools/furman)
Fr.
QB

Robert Riddle
Mercer (https://www.ncaa.com/schools/mercer)
So.
QB

jayhawkdaddy
September 11th, 2019, 01:59 PM
SoCon Week #3 Pick 'em and Power Poll
Va Tech
Tennessee
Ga Tech
WCU
Wofford
Mercer
ETSU

Week 3 Power Ranking
1. Furman
2. Mercer
3. UTC
4. ETSU
5. The Citadel
6. Wofford
7. Samford
8. VMI
9. WCU

Scrappy94
September 11th, 2019, 03:21 PM
1. Furman
2. Mercer
3. Chattanooga
4. The Citadel
5. ETSU
6. Wofford
7. Samford
8. Western Carolina
9. VMI

Chattanooga @ Tennessee
Furman @ Virginia Tech
The Citadel @ Georgia Tech
North Greenville @ Western Carolina
Samford @ Wofford
Austin Peay @ Mercer
VMI @ ETSU (Call me crazy, but I think VMI wins 1 or 2 SoCon games that they shouldn't. My gut tells me this will be one of them.)

PaladinFan
September 11th, 2019, 03:39 PM
BearDownMU told me 3 of the Top 4 are SoCon - Riddle (Mercer) & Grainger (Furman) are the other 2. Hard to believe the Walter Payton Award Winning (now a Steeler) SoCon (Samford) QB graduates & QB play in the SoCon goes UP!

PASSING EFFICIENCY - Last updatedSeptember 8, 2019 - Through gamesSeptember 7, 2019

RANK
NAME
TEAM
CL
POSITION
G
PASS ATT
PASS COM
INT
PASS YDS
PASS TD
PASS EFF

Chris Oladokun
Jr.
QB

Breylin Smith
So.
QB

Darren Grainger
Fr.
QB

Robert Riddle
So.
QB

Who, at the beginning of the season, would have guessed that after two games Furman's QB would have more pass attempts and more completions than Samford's top passer?

SU DOG
September 11th, 2019, 05:40 PM
Who, at the beginning of the season, would have guessed that after two games Furman's QB would have more pass attempts and more completions than Samford's top passer?

You do understand that the Samford QB has not played the equivalence of 2 games, right? Maybe he will get to start this week.

The Cats
September 11th, 2019, 06:16 PM
The suspense is over......

For the second consecutive game, redshirt sophomore Will Jones (http://www.catamountsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=211734203&DB_OEM_ID=12100) is expected to start at quarterback for the Catamounts as redshirt senior QB Tyrie Adams (http://www.catamountsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=211734096&DB_OEM_ID=12100) will remain on team suspension for a violation of team rules first set prior to the NC State game last Saturday in Raleigh.

UpstateBison
September 11th, 2019, 06:56 PM
BearDownMU told me 3 of the Top 4 are SoCon - Riddle (Mercer) & Grainger (Furman) are the other 2. Hard to believe the Walter Payton Award Winning (now a Steeler) SoCon (Samford) QB graduates & QB play in the SoCon goes UP!

PASSING EFFICIENCY - Last updated September 8, 2019 - Through games September 7, 2019

RANK
NAME
TEAM
CL
POSITION
G
PASS ATT
PASS COM
INT
PASS YDS
PASS TD
PASS EFF

Chris Oladokun
Jr.
QB

Breylin Smith
So.
QB

Darren Grainger
Fr.
QB

Robert Riddle
So.
QB

I agree. If you can’t run up a bunch of meaningless stats against WCU, Presbyterian, TTU and CSU, who can you? GA State and YSU are ok. I think we will learn just how bad the Vols are by the end of the season.

In fairness, NDSU’s RS freshmen QB has put up the same stats against similar competition. Butler and UND are comparable to CSU and WCU. They are not good FCS teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FUBeAR
September 11th, 2019, 07:38 PM
I agree. If you can’t run up a bunch of meaningless stats against WCU, Presbyterian, TTU and CSU, who can you? GA State and YSU are ok. I think we will learn just how bad the Vols are by the end of the season.

In fairness, NDSU’s RS freshmen QB has put up the same stats against similar competition. Butler and UND are comparable to CSU and WCU. They are not good FCS teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhmmm....reckon why he’s not on the list? Seems to have ‘minimums’ in all categories above others on the list who have played 2 games & would be #2, according to NDSU stats.

PASSING
GP-GS
Effic
Cmp-Att-Int
Pct
Yards
TD
Long
Avg/G

Trey Lance (https://stats.gobison.com/custompages/fb/2019/plyr_5.htm)
2-2
21-26-0

I think the bizuns are quietly seceding from FCS.

UpstateBison
September 11th, 2019, 09:01 PM
hmmm....reckon why he’s not on the list? Seems to have ‘minimums’ in all categories above others on the list who have played 2 games & would be #2, according to NDSU stats.

PASSING
GP-GS
Effic
Cmp-Att-Int
Pct
Yards
TD
Long
Avg/G

Trey Lance (https://stats.gobison.com/custompages/fb/2019/plyr_5.htm)
2-2
21-26-0

I think the bizuns are quietly seceding from FCS.

He might not have enough passing attempts. I thought I saw a requirement of 15 attempts per game. I am ok with more passing TD’s than incompletions.

PaladinFan
September 11th, 2019, 09:05 PM

You may not have noticed, but Darren Grainers monster day came against Georgia State, not Charleston Southern (where he didn’t play much of the second half).

Spin it how you want - kid played a pretty good GSU team on the road and lit them up.

FUBeAR
September 11th, 2019, 09:05 PM
He might not have enough passing attempts. I thought I saw a requirement of 15 attempts per game. I am ok with more passing TD’s than incompletions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkyep - that’s it. news of secession MAY have been premature.

UpstateBison
September 11th, 2019, 09:22 PM
You may not have noticed, but Darren Grainers monster day came against Georgia State, not Charleston Southern (where he didn’t play much of the second half).

Spin it how you want - kid played a pretty good GSU team on the road and lit them up.

We will see if “pretty good” GSU holds up over the course of the season. I agree he played well.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 11th, 2019, 09:34 PM
This just in: Bryce Thompson has been reinstated to the team. Looks like Big Brother might be able to pull this off.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/tennessee-db-bryce-thompson-returns-to-team-activities-following-arrest-on-domestic-assault-charge/

FUGameBreaker
September 11th, 2019, 10:21 PM
We will see if “pretty good” GSU holds up over the course of the season. I agree he played well.

Let's see how your kid does outside of the friendly confines this Saturday, will be interesting

FUBeAR
September 11th, 2019, 10:46 PM
We will see if “pretty good” GSU holds up over the course of the season. I agree he played well.Western Michigan, who lost 51-17 (and it wasn’t that close) last week @ Michigan State, is favored over GaSt by 8-1/2. If FUBeAR were a betting Bear-riding-a-white-armor-clad-stallion, he would go in big for the Panthers with that line. GaSt wins outright, 41-27. They’re pretty good.

gofurman
September 12th, 2019, 12:47 AM

GSU would be top ten FCS easy. And I am not one to push for my Paladins. But their QB, OL, and WRs are nasty. They would push for the FCS top 5 easy

gofurman
September 12th, 2019, 12:50 AM
The suspense is over......

the question still remains how long is he out... these games probably have the same result regardless. Loss at NC State. win at North Greenvile.

*Are the other kids still out? the OL and DL?

PaladinFan
September 12th, 2019, 05:04 AM
GSU would be top ten FCS easy. And I am not one to push for my Paladins. But their QB, OL, and WRs are nasty. They would push for the FCS top 5 easy

GSU isn’t going to play for a National title, but I agree, they’d easily be a top FCS team.

UpstateBison
September 12th, 2019, 05:11 AM
Let's see how your kid does outside of the friendly confines this Saturday, will be interesting

I agree. We will find out as our next four games are against Top 25 teams. The cupcake games are good for young players but the fantastic stat lines don’t mean too much to me. I am not saying that they are not very good just need to see more games. Our QB included as I will see him in person at Delaware. Good luck to all this weekend.

SU DOG
September 12th, 2019, 09:45 AM
Biggest surprise for me has been how comfortable Grainger has been in the pocket. The eye test for right now has to be that Furman is the best the SoCon has to offer. Crazy things do happen, however, when conference play starts, and upsets occur. It is still too early to accurately evaluate Mercer, another team that looks impressive. Hey wait...didn't FUBeAR predict those two meeting in Frisco? xlolx

PaladinFan
September 12th, 2019, 10:28 AM
Biggest surprise for me has been how comfortable Grainger has been in the pocket. The eye test for right now has to be that Furman is the best the SoCon has to offer. Crazy things do happen, however, when conference play starts, and upsets occur. It is still too early to accurately evaluate Mercer, another team that looks impressive. Hey wait...didn't FUBeAR predict those two meeting in Frisco? xlolx

Furman really hasn't had a QB with Grainger's skill set in a long time (maybe ever).

I noted in the preseason that QB was Furman's biggest question mark. I thought that if Grainger could be good-not-great, Furman would have a successful season with a deep offensive backfield and talented offensive line.

Need the defense to play a bit better, but I think we'll be alright.

ETSUfan1
September 12th, 2019, 11:39 AM
1. Furman
2. Mercer
3. Chattanooga
4. The Citadel
5. ETSU
6. Wofford
7. Samford
8. Western Carolina
9. VMI

Chattanooga @ Tennessee
Furman @ Virginia Tech
The Citadel @ Georgia Tech
North Greenville @ Western Carolina
Samford @ Wofford
Austin Peay @ Mercer
VMI @ ETSU (Call me crazy, but I think VMI wins 1 or 2 SoCon games that they shouldn't. My gut tells me this will be one of them.)

You’ve been so right with all of your ETSU predictions over the past year, I’m sure you nailed this one too. [emoji23][emoji482]

PaladinFan
September 13th, 2019, 02:28 PM
This game Saturday is really interesting between Samford and Wofford. Two teams licking their wounds a bit - both had an extra week to prepare.

I did watch the Terriervision* highlights of the SCSU game (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTSFptr4uws). A couple of things jump off the video as we lead into the Samford game.

It obviously wasn't a pretty game. Wofford certainly looked like they had some gaps in pass coverage and really didn't get much pressure on the QB (0 sacks, 1 QBH). I imagine that's an area Samford will try to exploit.

Offensively, I just have a hard time understanding what the Terriers are trying to do. Newman and Mosely are liabilities throwing the ball. Like most option QBs, they can launch a 50/50 ball downfield against a defense biting on the run. The interceptions, though, were ghastly - QBs locking onto receivers, looking jumpy in the pocket, poorly throwing balls.

I don't think Samford changes its offensive game plan - they are going to throw and perhaps try to establish the run with the QB. Wofford, I think, has to go back to basics. The option game looked good when they went to it and will likely be effective against a Samford defense that has been underwhelming.

* I have long appreciated Wofford's ability to broadcast the highlights from the game, not just their team.

gofurman
September 13th, 2019, 02:39 PM
This game Saturday is really interesting between Samford and Wofford. Two teams licking their wounds a bit - both had an extra week to prepare.

I did watch the Terriervision* highlights of the SCSU game (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTSFptr4uws). A couple of things jump off the video as we lead into the Samford game.

It obviously wasn't a pretty game. Wofford certainly looked like they had some gaps in pass coverage and really didn't get much pressure on the QB (0 sacks, 1 QBH). I imagine that's an area Samford will try to exploit.

Offensively, I just have a hard time understanding what the Terriers are trying to do. Newman and Mosely are liabilities throwing the ball. Like most option QBs, they can launch a 50/50 ball downfield against a defense biting on the run. The interceptions, though, were ghastly - QBs locking onto receivers, looking jumpy in the pocket, poorly throwing balls.

I don't think Samford changes its offensive game plan - they are going to throw and perhaps try to establish the run with the QB. Wofford, I think, has to go back to basics. The option game looked good when they went to it and will likely be effective against a Samford defense that has been underwhelming.

* I have long appreciated Wofford's ability to broadcast the highlights from the game, not just their team.

AGREE. " I have long appreciated Wofford's ability to broadcast the highlights from the game, not just their team" - you know I would appreciate that. It allows you to see what the other team found as gaps and issues with your defense. When all they show (most teams) is their own highlights all you see is some portions of what your offense did well.. well, that and maybe some sacks/turnovers.. but you can't analyze your own defensive liabilities to watch those issues the next week
and thanks for that link - I hadn't seen it. I would be shocked if Wofford doesn't go back to the option (or more option) this week. Esp vs a weak Samford run D. Egen if Woff wants to throw a little more I personally think they went pretty radical there , esp for the talent they have. great option guys - but those QBs were locked onto WRs

PaladinFan
September 13th, 2019, 03:52 PM
AGREE. " I have long appreciated Wofford's ability to broadcast the highlights from the game, not just their team" - you know I would appreciate that. It allows you to see what the other team found as gaps and issues with your defense. When all they show (most teams) is their own highlights all you see is some portions of what your offense did well.. well, that and maybe some sacks/turnovers.. but you can't analyze your own defensive liabilities to watch those issues the next week
and thanks for that link - I hadn't seen it. I would be shocked if Wofford doesn't go back to the option (or more option) this week. Esp vs a weak Samford run D. Egen if Woff wants to throw a little more I personally think they went pretty radical there , esp for the talent they have. great option guys - but those QBs were locked onto WRs

I think Samford's better defensively than they've shown. They've got athletes on that side of the ball, I just think they get too worn down late in the game because of the style of Hatcher's offense.

FUBeAR
September 13th, 2019, 09:35 PM
Oh my goodness...here we are at Week 3 & FUBeAR’s SoCon Teams are undefeated against FCS competition & sitting on top of the Conference. No other SoCon Team that has an FCS win doesn’t have an FCS loss with Samford & CIT having 2 FCS losses each. Despite the Paladins being upset by GaSt, FUBeAR is feelin’ pretty dang fat & happy right now. Things could change as soon as this week, but it’s been a nice, if brief, run.

Predictions

- Furman at Va Tech - The Paladins were shocked last week, but still played well. I expect them to have a bounce-back game this week & bring us home another ACC scalp. VPI is prepared for the vanilla, pedestrian offenses they see in the ACC, but they aren’t ready for the Tommy Hearns-like (he was a whip-thin & great boxer in the 70’s, for you youngsters, that was known to hit his opponents with powerful blows from all angles with both hands & seemed as if he had 4 or 5 hands doing it) Offense. Besides, they think they are playing GT this week. LOL! The FU D learned some lessons last week & they will shore up their game. Furman wins, 49-24.

- Chattanooga at Tennessee - The Mocs can do this. Really, they can. Look, the Team that squeaked by FU in an upset last week took these losers to the woodshed winning by 20 net points, using the FUBeAR scoring system. I ain’t countin’ the meaningless TD as the clock expired & they had a 3 point home field advantage, which GaSt also had last week. So 8 + 6 + 3 + 3 = 20. Savvy? We all know if FU was playing Chatt this week, the spread would be less than 20, so that means Chatt is favored to beat the Vols. Mocs get us an SEC scalp, 24-21.

- The Citadel at Ga Tech - Yep...you know it. The LAST thing those GT Players & Fans want to see on The Flats is CIT’s brand of option Football. Check that...seeing it is the 2nd to last thing. Losing to it is THE last thing. But, that’s what’s going to happen. It won’t be pretty, and I hate it for Former ‘Din, GT’s DC, Andrew by-God Thacker, but the bellhops pull out their sabers & get us the 2nd ACC scalp of the day, 31-28.

- North Greenville at WCU - Among other alarms & alerts, WCU has now been placed on “Double-Secret DEFCON1 VMI Warning.” Remember in 2017 when VMI lost to D2 Catawba? The score was 27-20 Indians (Yep, they are STILL the Indians). My friend, Jeff Farrington, takes his 2 Paladins on his Coaching Staff, Crusades up to Cullowhee, intent on cleaning up whatever unspoken transgressions are happening up in those hills & comes away with a win, 27-20.

- Samford at Wofford - Wofford opens the game in the Single Wang, tries the Wishbone (Terrier Fans go wild!) in the 2nd series, Mouse Davis’ FunGun in the 3rd, then goes to Jerry Claiborne’s Wide Tackle 6...ON OFFENSE! Once they settle into the Notre Dame Box for a couple of series, things get a little better; but then they start trying to play by All11 rules & things get completely out of hand. Meanwhile, Samford’s Backup QB demonstrates what a dual-threat QB really looks like & runs circles around the Terriers depleted D. BiggerDogs romp over littledogs 63-2.

- Austin Peay at Mercer - Tough one for the Bears, finally. This is NOT your older brothers’ APSU Team. They are big, fast, hyper-aggressive, and infinitely more well-coached than they were ‘14-‘16 when the Bears took 3 in a row from the Govs. They are stocked with SEC & JUCO Transfers & remind me a lot of the good JaxSt Teams in days gone by. They did (most likely) lose their starting QB last week, but the backup LIT UP Mercer in 2016, playing only sparingly ... because ... Coaching (or lack of it). He is really, really good. Still have questions about Mercer’s O-Line & am unsure if the Defense is that much better or the competition has just been THAT bad. Punting & Kicking is no better than my middle school Team in 2008, but that K/P is now the LA Chargers’ Starting Kicker & Punter, so...it’s OK...well, Punting has NOT been good. The Bears’ O & Return Teams are HIGHLY explosive though. So, shakily, I’m calling this one for the Bears, 28-27.

- VMI at ETSU - How has VMI’s PassPro been? If I knew that, I’d feel a lot better about picking this game. Since I don’t, I’ll go with the LandlockedJackSparrows, in 3 OT’s, 52-46.

Week 3 Power Ranking

1) Furman - CLEARLY, the head of the class. Depending on how bad they beat VPI, they could move into FUBeAR’s Top 3 in FCS this week.
2) Mercer - The Bears are in 2nd by default, really. They’ll solidify here with a good showing against the Gov’s & hopefully, play the SoCon Game of the Year in TR next week.
3) Chattanooga - I don’t know if the Mocs are good enough to stand alone at #3, they sure haven’t done enough to, but we’ll slot ‘em in here for now. I liked Coach Wright when he was at FU & Coaches Pizzo & Baker when they were at Mercer.
4) Samford - Things are starting to get yucky when we have a winless Team ranked 4th, but getting just a few more reps for their backup QB could change that win total PDQ. Man, you would think Coach Hatcher could hire someone to advise him on evaluating QB Talent. FUBeAR can be bought...just sayin’
5) ETSU - I don’t know if ETSU is better or CIT is better, but I was raised to hate bellhops, so the Bucs get the #5 nod.
6) CIT - This win over GT may help them, but I tried to tell y’all last week, RaineyRunRightRaineyRunLeft, as an Offensive Strategy, ain’t gonna fly in the SoCon (or the CAA). I haven’t seen the E*Loan game, but 150 total yards rushing, 9 rushing 1st downs, and 2.2 ypc for Rainey tell me all I need to know.
7) VMI - Beat ETSU & FUBeAR may have y’all in the top half of the SoCon next week. How ‘bout dat?
8) WCU - With Adams DEFINITELY on INDEFINITE suspension, the Cats are probably in the SoCon basement, but Woffy, with their OMG hideous heinous hilarious performance @ SCSt earned another week in a dark, damp, musty place.
9) Wofford (#7 in the MEAC) - Down 2 Starting & EXCELLENT DLmen, nothing good has happened for the yardbarkers during their off-week. Well, I did hear they had a couple of consultants in to help with their O. They brought in Pete Carril. Nope, not Pete Carroll, he’s a Defensive guy. Carril is Princeton’s legendary basketball Coach. Wofford’s back-door cuts to the basket against Samford this week will be things of beauty! And they brought in Jill Ellis, US Women’s World Cup wining Soccer Coach. If the PorchYapper midfielders can apply what she taught them about attacking in tandem with the forwards, Samford is in a heap of trouble & FUBear might change his prediction to 1-nil, anklebiters.

Read it & wipe it. The money am on the dresser.

(Hey old-Time UFFP’ers...Do I have that right?)

Mocs123
September 13th, 2019, 09:43 PM
Bold picks FUBeAR, but I like them.

ElCid
September 14th, 2019, 12:28 PM
6) CIT - This win over GT may help them, but I tried to tell y’all last week, RaineyRunRightRaineyRunLeft, as an Offensive Strategy, ain’t gonna fly in the SoCon (or the CAA). I haven’t seen the E*Loan game, but 150 total yards rushing, 9 rushing 1st downs, and 2.2 ypc for Rainey tell me all I need to know.

But it seems to working against Ga Tech.😁

FUBeAR
September 14th, 2019, 12:38 PM
But it seems to working against Ga Tech.You do know GT left the SoCon after the 1932 season; my Sophomore year...hated to see ‘em go.

ElCid
September 14th, 2019, 12:40 PM
You do know GT left the SoCon after the 1932 season; my Sophomore year...hated to see ‘em go.

😁

PaladinFan
September 14th, 2019, 02:07 PM
Furman had back to back FBS road losses by 1 score.

SoCon, you're up.

FUBeAR
September 14th, 2019, 03:02 PM
We are all bellhops today!!!

- The Citadel at Ga Tech - Yep...you know it. The LAST thing those GT Players & Fans want to see on The Flats is CIT’s brand of option Football. Check that...seeing it is the 2nd to last thing. Losing to it is THE last thing. But, that’s what’s going to happen. It won’t be pretty, and I hate it for Former ‘Din, GT’s DC, Andrew by-God Thacker, but the bellhops pull out their sabers & get us the 2nd ACC scalp of the day, 31-28.

rtzlunar
September 14th, 2019, 03:03 PM
Congrats to The Citadel on a huge win and to Furman for another strong showing While UTC looked like a 💩 in Knoxville.

ElCid
September 14th, 2019, 03:17 PM
Predictions

- Furman at Va Tech – Va Tech has been fading lately, but they will handle Furman with not too much drama – 44-17
- Chattanooga at Tennessee – The Vols are 0-2 and ripe for the Mocs…just kidding, they are pissed and will take it out on them – 48-9
- The Citadel at Ga Tech – Of the 3 FBS games this week, I think the Dogs have the best shot, not a good one, but the best; Ga Tech is still trying to find their new offensive scheme…but then again, the Dogs are still trying to find their legs as well

I love being right. At least about our chances. I was off big time on our score and Furman's score though.

FUBeAR
September 14th, 2019, 04:19 PM
I love being right. At least about our chances. I was off big time on our score and Furman's score though.LOLz!! Wut? You’re calling THIS being right?

“I fear GaTech will finally put their new scheme together first – 42-17”

I thought y’all had an Honor Code.

O ye of little faith! Takes a Paladin to LEAD you to the right answer AND the margin of victory

:D

ElCid
September 14th, 2019, 04:29 PM
LOLz!! Wut? You’re calling THIS being right?

“I fear GaTech will finally put their new scheme together first – 42-17”

I thought y’all had an Honor Code.

O ye of little faith! Takes a Paladin to LEAD you to the right answer AND the margin of victory

:D

No, I just knew we had the best chance even while having the biggest spread. If I had been a betting man, that original 36 point spread was ridiculous and I would have drop big money on it, but alas, I don't bet.

I did not get Ga Tech's new strategy of changing QBs sometimes twice in 3 downs though. Just weird. They obviously have problems on O. But our D did play its best game of the year. Our O did great in game one with STs ok. Our D was asleep. Our STs played lights out game two with our O and D being absent. And our O and D did good this game with our STs being absent at least on KO returns. Our Kickers obviously did pretty good. Need to put it all together.

But yes, you nailed the spread on our game big time.xthumbsupx

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 14th, 2019, 05:41 PM
First of all, congrats are in order to The Citadel for collecting the SoCon's first FBS scalp of the year. Furman had nothing to be ashamed of against Va. Tech. Chattanooga, all I can say is dayum they laid an egg against Big Brother.

Smitty
September 14th, 2019, 06:11 PM
Well we know what division we belong in....

PaladinFan
September 14th, 2019, 06:26 PM
Charleston Southern up two scores on NCAT late in 2nd Q. A win for the Bucs over a top 20 team would look really good for Furman.

ElCid
September 14th, 2019, 06:30 PM
Charleston Southern up two scores on NCAT late in 2nd Q. A win for the Bucs over a top 20 team would look really good for Furman.

Look good for us as well when we kick their arses next week.

PaladinFan
September 14th, 2019, 06:38 PM
Look good for us as well when we kick their arses next week.

They aren't awful.

ElCid
September 14th, 2019, 07:36 PM
Looks like Samford will extend its domination over Wofford. Wofford seems a bit lost offensively.

Crusaders are feasting on Catamounts. WTF? I guess they were a one man band offensively.

gofurman
September 14th, 2019, 07:47 PM
and Woff loses to Samford in a low scoring 21-14. Woff 0-2 (and that's FCS). ran more option this week than befor

gofurman
September 14th, 2019, 07:51 PM

this. if charleston Southern beats top 20 NC A&T and we beat CSU by 30.. its worth something though i don't go too far w transitive

ElCid
September 14th, 2019, 07:57 PM
this. if charleston Southern beats top 20 NC A&T and we beat CSU by 30.. its worth something though i don't go too far w transitive

Well, we killed CSU the last game last year and according to Redbird 4th & short, last year seems to matter when it comes to Furman's opponents. LOL. It would throw a mess into the ciphering if CSU won. Hope it happens.xlolx

PaladinFan
September 14th, 2019, 08:03 PM
Two weeks after managing 13 against SCSU, Wofford scores 14 against a defense that surrendered an average of 52 ppg the last two contests.

Wofford attempts 6 passes, completes 2 for -1 yard.

Smitty
September 14th, 2019, 08:23 PM
Looks like Samford will extend its domination over Wofford. Wofford seems a bit lost offensively.

Crusaders are feasting on Catamounts. WTF? I guess they were a one man band offensively.

Yeah that game was not fun...

walliver
September 14th, 2019, 09:04 PM
and Woff loses to Samford in a low scoring 21-14. Woff 0-2 (and that's FCS). ran more option this week than befor
We ran the triple option 3 times. I think the old TO is gone. The offense actually looked very good for the first 20 minutes of the game. Unfortunately, neither of our two main QB’s can throw the ball at all.

PaladinFan
September 14th, 2019, 09:07 PM
Riddle just threw his second pick six. That will probably put the game away for Austin Peay.

JSUSoutherner
September 14th, 2019, 09:28 PM
Riddle just threw his second pick six. That will probably put the game away for Austin Peay.

I've been telling y'all. That Peay D ain't no joke.

PaladinFan
September 14th, 2019, 09:34 PM
I've been telling y'all. That Peay D ain't no joke.

They are good and have some big bodies inside. Mercer's running game is non-existent.

This is a hot take, but if Tyray Devezin can't get room to run, Mercer's offense isn't going to do a whole lot. He's the bell cow.

gofurman
September 14th, 2019, 10:19 PM
They are good and have some big bodies inside. Mercer's running game is non-existent.

This is a hot take, but if Tyray Devezin can't get room to run, Mercer's offense isn't going to do a whole lot. He's the bell cow.

I think people inherently (even true fans like PaladinFan who knows a lot!) look too much at offense. Devezin couldn't run and Peay was all in the backfield and Mercer scored 34 !! When you lose 48-34 it's not your offense fault. Now I know there were two pick 6 and a punt block but Mercer O still scored THIRTY FOUR !!! But their D gave up about 30 (take away pick 6's etc and allow for punt block)

So O vs O was about 34-30 for Mercer. APU took away Devezin and Mercer scored (I know you like to say it's points that matter) 34 and you are saying the O didn't do a lot? I am not sure I can agree. 34 points scored is plenty . am i missing something? not arguing just asking if I am missing something !?!

PaladinFan
September 14th, 2019, 10:38 PM
I think people inherently (even true fans like PaladinFan who knows a lot!) look too much at offense. Devezin couldn't run and Peay was all in the backfield and Mercer scored 34 !! When you lose 48-34 it's not your offense fault. Now I know there were two pick 6 and a punt block but Mercer O still scored THIRTY FOUR !!! But their D gave up about 30 (take away pick 6's etc and allow for punt block)

So O vs O was about 34-30 for Mercer. APU took away Devezin and Mercer scored (I know you like to say it's points that matter) 34 and you are saying the O didn't do a lot? I am not sure I can agree. 34 points scored is plenty . am i missing something? not arguing just asking if I am missing something !?!

Yes and no. Austin Peay played very well for most of the game. They didn't finish particularly strong.

Mercer had 43 yards rushing on 31 carries (1.4 ypc). That's not great.

A large chunk of Mercer's offense was in the 4th quarter. They scored two late touchdowns and put up almost half of their entire offensive output in the 4th Q (152 of 330 yards).

Riddle was 17-20, 158 yards, and 2 TDs in the 4th quarter. He was 12-27 (44%) the three other quarters. They all count, obviously, but the Govs pretty well limited Mercer for most of the game.

Austin Peay also had a pretty astounding 15 penalties for 155 yards. Mercer had 8 first downs by APSU penalties. That bailed them out a number of times.

BearDownMU
September 14th, 2019, 11:05 PM
Yes and no. Austin Peay played very well for most of the game. They didn't finish particularly strong.

Mercer had 43 yards rushing on 31 carries (1.4 ypc). That's not great.

A large chunk of Mercer's offense was in the 4th quarter. They scored two late touchdowns and put up almost half of their entire offensive output in the 4th Q (152 of 330 yards).

Riddle was 17-20, 158 yards, and 2 TDs in the 4th quarter. He was 12-27 (44%) the three other quarters. They all count, obviously, but the Govs pretty well limited Mercer for most of the game.

Austin Peay also had a pretty astounding 15 penalties for 155 yards. Mercer had 8 first downs by APSU penalties. That bailed them out a number of times.

I was there. We just were not good in all phases. The only shining spot is David Durden and our kick return game. Everything else was basically poop. Thinking about going to Greenville now next weekend just gives me a headache.

BearDownMU
September 14th, 2019, 11:07 PM
Oh, and I don't want to be that guy either. While I thought we played very poorly, I think we played poorly because Austin Peay played really well. We had no answer in for their run D, and they covered well. And they made plays when they had to. The bad part is I can specifically think of 3 plays where AP guys were wide open and their QB just missed them. It could have been worse, unfortunately. But hat tip to them. They just whipped us.

FUBeAR
September 14th, 2019, 11:39 PM
Oh, and I don't want to be that guy either. While I thought we played very poorly, I think we played poorly because Austin Peay played really well. We had no answer in for their run D, and they covered well. And they made plays when they had to. The bad part is I can specifically think of 3 plays where AP guys were wide open and their QB just missed them. It could have been worse, unfortunately. But hat tip to them. They just whipped us.

http://66.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lyi67cX5nP1r4tlx4o2_250.gif

gofurman
September 14th, 2019, 11:51 PM

good man. Giving credit to,other team. Class

gofurman
September 14th, 2019, 11:52 PM
I was there. We just were not good in all phases. The only shining spot is David Durden and our kick return game. Everything else was basically poop. Thinking about going to Greenville now next weekend just gives me a headache.

And yes Durden is awesome. Could see him as slot guy on Sunday

ElCid
September 14th, 2019, 11:54 PM
As if the ETSU/VMI game wasn't long enough...now they are going to OT...at 1AM.

gofurman
September 14th, 2019, 11:55 PM
We ran the triple option 3 times. I think the old TO is gone. The offense actually looked very good for the first 20 minutes of the game. Unfortunately, neither of our two main QB’s can throw the ball at all.

Real question. First your D did well giving 21 to an improved Samford O. You say your old TO is gone. What were you running ? I saw some base handoffs an,d in fourth Quarter your OL did v well on that long drive just your coaches chose to throw on 4th... what would you say your offense is? I am really asking. Not piling on. I thought I saw some option and the QB did v well when he kept it !

gofurman
September 15th, 2019, 12:12 AM
2018 SoCon tri-champs were Furman Woff ETSu. Woff ETSu lost

FUBeAR
September 15th, 2019, 12:12 AM
VMI beats the defending (cough, cough) SoCon Champion, ETSU! (In OT, as FUBeAR projected)

Go Roos!

How ‘bout dat!

JSUSoutherner
September 15th, 2019, 12:23 AM
Did Wofford go back to the TO? I see they only threw like 4 times today.

I thought they had changed it up or something.

gofurman
September 15th, 2019, 12:43 AM

They certainly ran it some today from what I watched but I guess what the post above from Woff is saying is it wasn’t pure triple O. That’s why I am asking what they would call the O? That’s not a snide remark - I am really asking because I saw the QB take the edge several times but I didn’t see many pitch men w him?

in short. They threw it a lot less today than last week and went back to at least runnin’ the ball which their OL is built for. But I do want to gear Woff take on their offense as it wasn’t triple O

PaladinFan
September 15th, 2019, 06:05 AM

Not really. Lot of read option stuff out of the gun.

I really can't tell you what Wofford is trying to do on offense.

PaladinFan
September 15th, 2019, 06:29 AM

On the positive side, Greenville is nice this time of year and Furman/Mercer typically play a close game.

I think Mercer will do some stuff that will cause trouble for Furman.

Mocs123
September 15th, 2019, 07:46 AM
Congratulations to The Citadel for taking an ACC scalp (Do you think they regret firing Paul Johnson?) and to Furman for putting the scare in Virginia Tech.

I apologize to the SoCon for laying an egg against Tennessee - we should have at least been competitive.

walliver
September 15th, 2019, 07:55 AM
Real question. First your D did well giving 21 to an improved Samford O. You say your old TO is gone. What were you running ? I saw some base handoffs an,d in fourth Quarter your OL did v well on that long drive just your coaches chose to throw on 4th... what would you say your offense is? I am really asking. Not piling on. I thought I saw some option and the QB did v well when he kept it !
I really don’t know. I think the goal is an RPO base offense, but we don’t have the personnel to execute that offense (It requires throwing the ball). When you remove the passing option, there isn’t much left.

The pass on 4th down was a classic Wade Lang call. If everyone in the stadium feels like it is something that won’t work ... then that is the play you should call.

The most frustrating part part of this fiasco is that we signed 0 QB’s last year. We did get an App State transfer. If just seems rational that if you are going to switch to a more pass-friendly offense, you should recruit a passer. I think it is hard to recruit a passing QB when all you have to offer is a promise to pass in the future.

walliver
September 15th, 2019, 08:00 AM
Congratulations to The Citadel for taking an ACC scalp (Do you think they regret firing Paul Johnson?) and to Furman for putting the scare in Virginia Tech.

I apologize to the SoCon for laying an egg against Tennessee - we should have at least been competitive.
GT also got rid of their Wofford- centric defensive staff. GT’s problem is similar to Wofford’s current offense - they are trying to run an offense that doesn’t match their players’ skill sets.

ElCid
September 15th, 2019, 08:01 AM

Man I remember going to Atlanta in 1982 and seeing us play them. I remember thinking how nice it would be to beat them, but at least it wasn't a blow out back then. Only took a few more games ... and 37 more years for it to happen.

gofurman
September 15th, 2019, 08:23 AM
I really don’t know. I think the goal is an RPO base offense, but we don’t have the personnel to execute that offense (It requires throwing the ball). When you remove the passing option, there isn’t much left.

The pass on 4th down was a classic Wade Lang call. If everyone in the stadium feels like it is something that won’t work ... then that is the play you should call.

The most frustrating part part of this fiasco is that we signed 0 QB’s last year. We did get an App State transfer. If just seems rational that if you are going to switch to a more pass-friendly offense, you should recruit a passer. I think it is hard to recruit a passing QB when all you have to offer is a promise to pass in the future.

thanks for answer! yeah, RPO sounds about right now that I think back on it... though you can see why I struggled to figure it out with less than 10 pass attempts. Your D really did pretty well. That is Samford's lowest point total (3 FCS games). I mean, you kept them at same as YSU mostly. So I think your D is catching some flack for the frustration stemming from O.

SU DOG
September 15th, 2019, 09:42 AM
Some interesting(to me anyhow) facts about the Samford vs Wofford Game:xcoffeex

According to the box score, the attendance was 3,463. Wonder if there were factors involved to cause this low turnout? Weather didn't seem to be bad.

Samford had more running attempts than passing attempts, and had a better yds/carry average than the Terriers.xnodx
I know that was partly because of Oladokun's runs, but that will obviously be part of the Samford offense this year.

When Ware got hurt, true Fr. Jay Stanton looked good in averaging 5 yds/carry. Net rushing for the Bulldogs was 159 yards. A massive number for us, LOL.

The Samford defense did show marked improvement regardless of the Wofford O, but still has a long ways to go. Tackling still needs to be better, but at least positioning and gap coverage did improve.

IMO, the Wofford offense is in something of disarray. I just didn't see those bone crushing sweeps and TO pitches to a speeding runner that used to be Wofford. The interior runs were still effective and the backs run hard, but it seemed almost like the Terriers were reluctant to attack the perimeter like in the past. I haven't studies or even looked back at the game, but this is how I remember it.

apaladin
September 15th, 2019, 10:29 AM
Some interesting(to me anyhow) facts about the Samford vs Wofford Game:xcoffeex

According to the box score, the attendance was 3,463. Wonder if there were factors involved to cause this low turnout? Weather didn't seem to be bad.

Samford had more running attempts than passing attempts, and had a better yds/carry average than the Terriers.xnodx
I know that was partly because of Oladokun's runs, but that will obviously be part of the Samford offense this year.

When Ware got hurt, true Fr. Jay Stanton looked good in averaging 5 yds/carry. Net rushing for the Bulldogs was 159 yards. A massive number for us, LOL.

The Samford defense did show marked improvement regardless of the Wofford O, but still has a long ways to go. Tackling still needs to be better, but at least positioning and gap coverage did improve.

IMO, the Wofford offense is in something of disarray. I just didn't see those bone crushing sweeps and TO pitches to a speeding runner that used to be Wofford. The interior runs were still effective and the backs run hard, but it seemed almost like the Terriers were reluctant to attack the perimeter like in the past. I haven't studies or even looked back at the game, but this is how I remember it.

When you are Wofford and you lose to SC State in the opener and was never in the game, people are not excited. Knowing the way Wofford reports attendance there probably was not 2,500 butts in seats.

PaladinFan
September 15th, 2019, 11:44 AM
thanks for answer! yeah, RPO sounds about right now that I think back on it... though you can see why I struggled to figure it out with less than 10 pass attempts. Your D really did pretty well. That is Samford's lowest point total (3 FCS games). I mean, you kept them at same as YSU mostly. So I think your D is catching some flack for the frustration stemming from O.

Not really RPO considering Wofford only tried to pass it 6 times. To me, it looks like they are trying to run a good bit of what Furman does, but without the threat of the pass.

I noted this in the leadup, but Samford was a good matchup for Wofford's defense. The Bulldogs are not that physical up front, are usually in pass protection, and are looking to space teams out. I think it will be a little more complicated when Wofford plays a team like Furman or the Citadel - teams that are going to line it up and run it at you, not around you.

kdinva
September 15th, 2019, 12:54 PM
I really don’t know. I think the goal is an RPO base offense,

tried to read the game recap in goupstate.com, but that has turned into a 100% "pay to read" paper.....:( .....

....as apparently the Roanoke Times has.....xthumbsdownxxbangx

ElCid
September 15th, 2019, 01:04 PM
tried to read the game recap in goupstate.com, but that has turned into a 100% "pay to read" paper.....:( .....

....as apparently the Roanoke Times has.....xthumbsdownxxbangx

Yeah, they are trying to turn them into revenue streams and what they don't realize is most people aren't that stupid. Simple fact, if I have to pay for access to these news sites...I go elsewhere.

PaladinFan
September 15th, 2019, 02:22 PM
Yeah, they are trying to turn them into revenue streams and what they don't realize is most people aren't that stupid. Simple fact, if I have to pay for access to these news sites...I go elsewhere.

Yeah, its sad. I read Shannesy's writeups on Wofford, but don't live in the upstate and am not interested in having a subscription to the paper.

gofurman
September 15th, 2019, 05:36 PM
On the positive side, Greenville is nice this time of year and Furman/Mercer typically play a close game.

I think Mercer will do some stuff that will cause trouble for Furman.

That last sentence is my fear. Lol

Scrappy94
September 16th, 2019, 12:23 PM

Guess I wasn't crazy after all!

walliver
September 16th, 2019, 03:49 PM
Yeah, its sad. I read Shannesy's writeups on Wofford, but don't live in the upstate and am not interested in having a subscription to the paper.

I can get around the paywall with my phone. I think the way I do it is to access Todd's articles via his twitter links.

What I find frustrating is that newspapers don't realize that out-of-town people just want to read an occasional article now and then. They need to find a way that people can pay a small monthly fee and access a few articles on just about any website.