View Full Version : AGS Top 25 - How They Fared Week 2 2019

superman7515
September 7th, 2019, 11:57 PM
There's still one team from the poll in play at this moment, but it's 1 am and Arizona is beating the brakes off Northern Arizona at halftime, so I'll update that one in the morning.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14_nZfivgQGhxjK-RteS4adzjDOMiOMw_1njaUAq_KOY/edit?usp=sharing

A few of the games don't have recaps yet, some because they just finished, and some because apparently everyone who operates a non-cancerous website was too busy crying about the Volunteers to bother writing about East Tennessee State vs Shorter yet.

Someone mentioned that I usually include the SOS in the recap; I don't add that until after Week 4 due to the number of teams that play a lower level opponent, and/or an FBS opponent, or don't bother playing at all (the Ivies). There's really no connectivity in the first few weeks, and even Week 4 is tenuous at best since quite a few teams have only played 1 FCS opponent by that point.

centennial
September 8th, 2019, 12:53 AM
SIU beat UMass 45-20 and should be looked at a borderline top 25 rating.

Catatonic
September 8th, 2019, 06:15 AM

It was a quality win for sure. UMass is a terrible FBS team but any win against FBS is a quality W. I’m not sure about borderline top 25 though. I look at it about like NAU’s W over UTEP last year.

And SiU’s W has to be balanced against last week’s loss to SEMO, which didn’t look very good against Montana State this week.

For Now SIU is on my watch list.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 8th, 2019, 06:58 AM

SIU is jeckle/hyde. Good win but they have proven before they fall apart eventually.

superman7515
September 8th, 2019, 07:21 AM
Sagarin and Massey ratings have been updated as well as recaps for those remaining games that needed them.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2019, 07:48 AM
UC Davis will not be in my Top 5 this week. I'm obviously interested to see how they fair against Lehigh next week.

WestCoastAggie
September 8th, 2019, 10:54 AM
There was a bunch of shuffling in my poll this week with Furman making the biggest jump.

ElCid
September 8th, 2019, 11:05 AM
Sagarin and Massey ratings have been updated as well as recaps for those remaining games that needed them.

Sag looks updated, but I am pretty sure Massey is not done yet online. Unless I am in a time warp. FBS is done, but not FCS.

centennial
September 8th, 2019, 11:22 AM
It was a quality win for sure. UMass is a terrible FBS team but any win against FBS is a quality W. I’m not sure about borderline top 25 though. I look at it about like NAU’s W over UTEP last year.

And SiU’s W has to be balanced against last week’s loss to SEMO, which didn’t look very good against Montana State this week.

You might be right, that SEMO loss doesn't look too good.

SIU is jeckle/hyde. Good win but they have proven before they fall apart eventually.

Haha, it's their thing. They almost beat a borderline top 25 Memphis 2 years ago. Last year they were in a game with Ole Miss till the 3rd quarter.

TheKingpin28
September 8th, 2019, 11:40 AM
Week 2 was way easier with a poll than week 1, which hasn't always been the case. This is one of those years where I believe the parity from #1-10 is going to be there. I believe the musical chairs game will be played this year more frequently.

FUGameBreaker
September 8th, 2019, 11:59 AM
There was a bunch of shuffling in my poll this week with Furman making the biggest jump.

Thank you!

JSUSoutherner
September 8th, 2019, 12:29 PM

So is SEMO bad or Montana State good?

Cause SEMO pounded SIU.

Personally I see it as more of a plus for the Bobcats more than a knock against SEMO.

SEMO had a horrendous 3rd quarter, but hey, **** happens.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 8th, 2019, 12:48 PM

Cause SEMO pounded SIU.

Personally I see it as more of a plus for the Bobcats more than a knock against SEMO.

I think you are on the track and I agree with you on this.

centennial
September 8th, 2019, 12:54 PM

Cause SEMO pounded SIU.

Both SIU and SEMO are inconsistent. The big surprise for me this year has been WIU. They are the lowest ranked MVFC team on Sagarin. I know it's early in the season but I can't see them making the playoffs.

ST_Lawson
September 8th, 2019, 01:12 PM
The big surprise for me this year has been WIU. They are the lowest ranked MVFC team on Sagarin. I know it's early in the season but I can't see them making the playoffs.

Lost a few really good players to graduation. Lost a handful of decent offensive guys to injury (our #1 WR and #1 true RB...I haven't heard anything, but neither have seen the field this season). I don't see us winning more than maybe 2 games this year...thinking Tennessee Tech, Missouri State...maybe SIU if we catch them on a bad day. I'll still be at all the home games, but it's going to be a long season in Macomb.

JSUSoutherner
September 8th, 2019, 04:01 PM
Both SIU and SEMO are inconsistent. The big surprise for me this year has been WIU. They are the lowest ranked MVFC team on Sagarin. I know it's early in the season but I can't see them making the playoffs.

Well fortunately for SEMO they'll have a chance to show they belong when they get into the conference schedule this season. If SIU continues to trend up that could bode well for SEMO come selection time.

The OVC is wide open this year. Out of SEMO, APSU, EKU, and JSU no one looks head and shoulders above anyone else.

Mike296
September 8th, 2019, 06:55 PM
Lots of movement this week. My 15-25 is brutal trying to sort out. I’m half considering Dayton and that’s not something I’d ever thought I’d ever say. APSU showed well against UCA even after losing their Starting QB and a CB. The scoreline doesn’t really indicate how close that game really was. The scalp this week I’m really taking lightly because it was against a pretty bad UMASS team.

BEAR
September 8th, 2019, 07:13 PM
Lots of movement this week. My 15-25 is brutal trying to sort out. I’m half considering Dayton and that’s not something I’d ever thought I’d ever say. APSU showed well against UCA even after losing their Starting QB and a CB. The scoreline doesn’t really indicate how close that game really was. The scalp this week I’m really taking lightly because it was against a pretty bad UMASS team.

APSU has a good run defense. We have an OC that won't change plays to adjust. Two games in and still no changes. I just wish he would open up the offense instead of run it for 32 yards on 30 attempts. :D

RootinFerDukes
September 8th, 2019, 07:16 PM

Bingo. Thank you for not overreacting at a bad FBS win. Most voters don’t seem to get that though.

It’s the full body of work, not one game.

caribbeanhen
September 8th, 2019, 08:45 PM

The UMASS QB looked kind of smallish, almost like a Freddie Patek out there

Preferred Walk-On
September 8th, 2019, 08:53 PM
Bingo. Thank you for not overreacting at a bad FBS win. Most voters don’t seem to get that though.

It’s the full body of work, not one game.

I respectfully disagree, as I think most voters DO get it.

The "full body of work" after week 2 IS no more than two games. Therefore, more movement can be justified. If this lack of consideration occurs after week 6, then flame away, but after week 2 is probably a bit too early to get on this high horse.

Also, an FBS win is an FBS win, so let's give it a little credit. Especially if we are excluding North Alabama from polling, not because of number of scholarships (an advantage that an FBS team has over FCS), but due to easier academic standards players may have entered with on a D2-FCS transition team.

ngineer
September 8th, 2019, 09:28 PM
I know there is supposedly no "good losses", but Kennesaw's 2OT loss to Kent State was impressive.

JSUSoutherner
September 8th, 2019, 09:32 PM
I know there is supposedly no "good losses", but Kennesaw's 2OT loss to Kent State was impressive.

An impressive choke.

There's no reason Kennesaw should have lost that game other than they choked. They were the better team and pissed it away.

Outsider1
September 8th, 2019, 09:58 PM
An impressive choke.

There's no reason Kennesaw should have lost that game other than they choked. They were the better team and pissed it away.

FWIW, that was a nice rebound game against Chatty. I know you are tired of losing season openers, but what is worse is losing the first two games...

JSUSoutherner
September 8th, 2019, 10:14 PM
FWIW, that was a nice rebound game against Chatty. I know you are tired of losing season openers, but what is worse is losing the first two games...

I just hope we don't regress this week. If we keep making strides we will match our preseason hype eventually. But this team still has a lot of growing to do.

skinny_uncle
September 8th, 2019, 10:43 PM

Let's don't get carried away by a win over a bottom 10 FBS. I'll be more impressed when SIU beats a Valley team.

Catatonic
September 9th, 2019, 06:06 AM
APSU has a good run defense. We have an OC that won't change plays to adjust. Two games in and still no changes. I just wish he would open up the offense instead of run it for 32 yards on 30 attempts. :D

Hmmm. Your OC was at ACU as both OC and HC. His specialty was QB development and we were largely a pass happy team during his tenure, including back to back QB’s who threw for more than 12,000 career yards. I’m scratching my head wondering why he doesn’t turn a quality QB like Breylin Smith loose and let him do his thing.

PaladinFan
September 9th, 2019, 06:35 AM

Here's the problem with Kennesaw. There aren't really any good teams on their schedule. Kent State isn't a good FBS team, but it was one of the few (maybe only) opportunities the Owls had to beat a team that might be the equivalent of a decent FCS program.

I don't have a problem ranking KSU, but I disagree with rewarding them for playing a soft schedule because there's no real way to objectively evaluate whether they are any good (much less a top 10 team).

BEAR
September 9th, 2019, 07:04 AM
Hmmm. Your OC was at ACU as both OC and HC. His specialty was QB development and we were largely a pass happy team during his tenure, including back to back QB’s who threw for more than 12,000 career yards. I’m scratching my head wondering why he doesn’t turn a quality QB like Breylin Smith loose and let him do his thing.

I understand wanting to control the clock thus limiting their offensive chances of scoring but come on! Breylin is completing a very high percent of his passes and his receivers are wide open. Resting his defense maybe? Who knows. xlolx

bwbear
September 9th, 2019, 08:51 AM
I understand wanting to control the clock thus limiting their offensive chances of scoring but come on! Breylin is completing a very high percent of his passes and his receivers are wide open. Resting his defense maybe? Who knows. xlolx

He was OC and HC and got canned.

I realize he's a UCA guy, but let's be real: He's not cutting his. The play calling last year was predictable even up until Breylin got hurt. I get after that we were limited, but you knew what he was going to run. Run plays are telegraphed.

If we want to win the SLC:

1. O-line has to come alive. Yes, they are still fairly young, but most of them played last year. Get some push! Open up the holes for Blackmon. Give Breylin the extra 1-2 seconds to go through his progressions.

2. Blackmon misses some easy cuts. Sure, it is easy for us to see from the TV coverage, but great running backs evaluate the hole they are supposed to hit versus alternate routes. If the inside looks crowded, bounce. Also, both RB's need to quit dancing so much, lower the shoulders, and just get the extra 1-2 yards. Too many times they let their footwork get in the way of just advancing the ball. The play was busted, just run through the tackler and move the ball forward.

3. I have slight concern about our safety play on the deep routes. The only time AP really moved the ball is when they burned us deep. Both times they completed they long ball we were beat by a step. Maybe it was just a good move by the receiver. But, it needs to be looked at and see what can be improved.

4. Offense needs to sustain drives. We play better with tempo, but if we are not moving the ball, move off of tempo, but do not default to the run. Breylin/Winningham/all of our other talented receives make plays. We can keep the clock running. If we're not moving the ball on the ground via designed run plays, there are other ways to keep the clock moving and keep drives going.

The good news is, it is still early in the season. This staff is very good about adjusting, developing, and improving. This week versus ACU will be telling as far as how we make adjustments.

clenz
September 9th, 2019, 09:24 AM
I moved Dayton in my "watch list" this week. I was close to putting them in the top 25 but with how badly I punished Indiana State - someone I said I was real skeptical of coming into the season even with ranking them - for looking like the ISUb we all know to exist I couldn't quite justify "rewarding" Dayton with a "top 25" win then the "top 25" team they beat was dropped to below 40 for me.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 9th, 2019, 10:43 AM
15 minutes until poll closes so get your ballot in if you have not yet.

aceinthehole
September 9th, 2019, 11:43 AM
I moved Dayton in my "watch list" this week. I was close to putting them in the top 25 but with how badly I punished Indiana State - someone I said I was real skeptical of coming into the season even with ranking them - for looking like the ISUb we all know to exist I couldn't quite justify "rewarding" Dayton with a "top 25" win then the "top 25" team they beat was dropped to below 40 for me.

That is the circular thinking of overrated “power conference” teams and undervalued non-traditional teams.

Both Dayton and Duquesne should be Top 25 teams this week.

JSUSoutherner
September 9th, 2019, 11:44 AM
That is the circular thinking of overrated “power conference” teams and undervalued non-traditional teams.

I considered Dayton, they were my first 5 out.

Duquesne can play an NCAA team then come talk to me.

clenz
September 9th, 2019, 11:47 AM

It would be circular thinking if I kept ISU in, but i didn't.

I have "receipts" as the kids today say showing I didn't/don't think ISU is as good as preseason expectations.

Dayton beating them is a good win for Dayton, but I'm not convinced ISU is a top 25 team (thus not voting for them). Does beating a non top 25 team mean you should be voted top 25?

ksu_owls
September 9th, 2019, 11:52 AM
Here's the problem with Kennesaw. There aren't really any good teams on their schedule. Kent State isn't a good FBS team, but it was one of the few (maybe only) opportunities the Owls had to beat a team that might be the equivalent of a decent FCS program.

I don't have a problem ranking KSU, but I disagree with rewarding them for playing a soft schedule because there's no real way to objectively evaluate whether they are any good (much less a top 10 team).

We were suppose to play Furman this year but the game was rescheduled to 2023 by Furman. We filled the spot with Reinhart (sp?). Duquesne also cancelled, which put North Hampton on the schedule. My prospective is we are attempting to strengthen our schedule. I don't know the details of why either game was changed, but we didn't do it to play lower division cupcakes.

JSUSoutherner
September 9th, 2019, 12:11 PM
We were suppose to play Furman this year but the game was rescheduled to 2023 by Furman. We filled the spot with Reinhart (sp?). Duquesne also cancelled, which put North Hampton on the schedule. My prospective is we are attempting to strengthen our schedule. I don't know the details of why either game was changed, but we didn't do it to play lower division cupcakes.

Furman backing out of a game?!

Unheard of!

Sycamore62
September 9th, 2019, 02:17 PM

I moved ISUb down to 25. We were missing our #1rb and one of our solid receivers, they arent out for the season but I dont know when they will be back. Im not sure that made a difference since we gave up too much offense. Boyle all the sudden started passing to the other team. I think we still have potential and I think Dayton is a pretty good team. I dropped UC Davis to 10 because of the way they won vs San Diego. Ill entertain both of them again if they perform well in the next 2 weeks.