May 3rd, 2007, 08:12 AM
albany is not d3 its 1aa scolly

Dane96
May 3rd, 2007, 08:23 AM
Well, ye' of all of 5 posts must know that Albany was/is:

1. DIII 8 years ago;
2. Played in a non-scholarship conference until last year;
3. Has only 30 players on scholarship;
4. Had its first scholarship player (note not players) hit the field last year;and
5. Barksdale, Campbell, Hobbs, and Coleman are all NON-SCHOLARSHIP ATHLETES.

Other than those facts, thanks for reminding this board about Albany's status as a FCS (not I-AA...cue Ralph) school.

Ruler 79
May 3rd, 2007, 08:26 AM
Guys I was joking. Albany is now a scholarship school. I am aware they are not DIII

DetroitFlyer
May 3rd, 2007, 10:00 AM
According to many here, there is no way a "non-scholarship" player could amount to a hill of beans.... We all know that all the "real" FCS players are on scholarship somewhere and the "non-scholarship" players are equivalent to Division III walk-ons. This must be a mistake....xrolleyesx

On a serious note: Hat's off to Albany. Four players, two drafted, in NFL camps is great! Talk about a big recruiting advantage.

MplsBison
May 3rd, 2007, 10:41 AM
I'm sure there are plenty of good non scholarship players out there.

If it weren't for damned title IX, we all know Dayton would've added scholarships by now.

UAalum72
May 3rd, 2007, 11:07 AM
If it weren't for damned title IX, we all know Dayton would've added scholarships by now.
We know no such thing. Dayton was Division I-A for several years after Title IX went into effect.

Title IX has been around for over 30 years. There are more football teams with more players now than there were ten years ago. (673 in 1996, 706 last year). More schools dropped football from 1945-1960 than have since Title IX. Get over it.

MplsBison
May 3rd, 2007, 11:13 AM
The number of football scholarships isn't going up.

Put plainly: title IX has accomplished its mission and then some.

Women's athletics are well established at the college level.

It's obsolete now. The only thing it does is shut down men's programs.

UAalum72
May 3rd, 2007, 11:19 AM
The number of football teams has gone up in EVERY division. Title IX is used as an easy excuse by colleges to shut down non-revenue programs that they'd want to close anyway, because of the money.

MplsBison
May 3rd, 2007, 11:28 AM
Again, the number of football scholarships isn't going up.

Apparently you're not seeing the difference between teams and scholarships.

laxVik
May 3rd, 2007, 11:39 AM
...Albany's status as a FCS (not I-AA...cue Ralph) school.
Man I long for the days of D-1AA. This FCS vs 1AA label is completely ridiculous.

UAalum72
May 3rd, 2007, 11:57 AM
Again, the number of football scholarships isn't going up.

Apparently you're not seeing the difference between teams and scholarships.
Since the number of FBS teams is up, and the number of FCS teams is at least steady while several 'non-scholarship' schools dropped football (so there are more scholarship programs, and the NEC has added schollies), you'll have to show me some numbers.

Scholarships seem to be going up at North Dakota State, at least. I guess Title IX doesn't bother them.

We don't always know 'what we all know'.

henfan
May 3rd, 2007, 02:01 PM
Man I long for the days of D-1AA. This FCS vs 1AA label is completely ridiculous.

And I long for the days of the Small College Division. So what if the division was populated by a lot of universities who weren't all that small. We were Small College and we liked it!
(I even kept it in the division Missoula native Dana Carvey reference.)

MplsBison
May 3rd, 2007, 03:08 PM
Scholarships seem to be going up at North Dakota State, at least. I guess Title IX doesn't bother them.

Because NDSU has a higher percentage of men enrolled than women.

Schools like Drake, Dayton, San Diego, etc. have enough money or could get enough to add scholarships for football.

But they can't afford to do that and stay title IX compliant.

It's BS to the highest degree. No women's programs would be hurt if they added scholarships for football.

phillyAPP
May 3rd, 2007, 04:49 PM

I AGREE................. IT IS STUPID
xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

May 3rd, 2007, 04:59 PM
Man I long for the days of D-1AA. This FCS vs 1AA label is completely ridiculous.What is "D-1AA" and "1AA"??? Get the point? xnodx I-AA was always spelled

I-AA

yet you spelled it two different ways in one post. FCS is easier to spell at least!!!

BTW, there is no vs.... FCS is here to stay.

UAalum72
May 3rd, 2007, 09:09 PM
Because NDSU has a higher percentage of men enrolled than women.
Albany doesn't but they're still adding football scholarships. Florida Atlantic and Florida International have gone from no football to 85 scholarships.

I guess you still haven't found actual numbers to show what 'we all know'

laxVik
May 3rd, 2007, 10:10 PM
What is "D-1AA" and "1AA"??? Get the point? xnodx I-AA was always spelled

I-AA

yet you spelled it two different ways in one post. FCS is easier to spell at least!!!

BTW, there is no vs.... FCS is here to stay.
Well it's the internet and all. Now that I know you'll be watching cloesly, I mean closely, I'll be more careful.

May 3rd, 2007, 10:35 PM
Well it's the internet and all. Now that I know you'll be watching cloesly, I mean closely, I'll be more careful.No offense meant. Won't have to worry about it anymore now that it is FCS.

xpeacex xpeacex xpeacex xpeacex xpeacex xpeacex xpeacex

DetroitFlyer
May 4th, 2007, 07:33 AM
I think that you could make that argument.... By not offering "athletic scholarships" for football a non-scholly school would seem to have an easier time meeting the Title IX requirements. It would seem to me that lumping "football aid" in with "need based / academic aid", would provide more flexibility in how a school accounts for Title IX concerns. At Dayton, from what I can tell, football is "offset" for Title IX purposes by a very large, non-scholarship, women's rowing team. Since Dayton does not offer "athletic aid" in either program, I doubt that any questions would come up if students that happened to play football received more "need based/academic aid" than students that happened to be on the women's rowing team. On the other hand, if both programs were "athletic scholarship" a differential would almost certainly be pointed out and harped on by the Title IX crowd. While it is true that many schools deal with Title IX, to say it is not a problem for football is naive at best. If it were not a problem for football, MANY more schools would have programs. The truth is that not many female sports exist that have rosters of 100+ players. Having a baseball team and a softball team is pretty easy. Having a football team and a "bowling team, indoor and outdoor track team, swimming team, etc." for women is not so easy....

MplsBison
May 4th, 2007, 07:43 AM
The thing that's BS is that if a school is already T9 compliant, has a non scholarship football team and wants to add scholarships, they can't do it unless they add female scholarships as well.

T9 has to be modified.

bluehenbillk
May 4th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Congrats on 4 guys in camp...maybe the reason you embarassed us this year.

Seahawks Fan
May 4th, 2007, 12:52 PM

Thank you. I thought it was just me.

:D

Seawolf97
May 4th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Who knows maybe someday it will just be Division I football like all the sports. Keep it simple.

Seawolf97
May 4th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Congratualtions by the way to Albany and their 4 NFL rookies!

WyomingGrizFan
May 5th, 2007, 12:08 AM
Congrats to Albany; also to Eastern Wash for their four players signed FA: K Brett Bergstrom with New Orleans, DE Keith Grennan with San Diego, OL H. Nikolao with Cincinnati & S Brandon Keeler with Arizona.

UAalum72
May 6th, 2007, 09:36 PM
The thing that's BS is that if a school is already T9 compliant, has a non scholarship football team and wants to add scholarships, they can't do it unless they add female scholarships as well.

All of the schools in the NEC have found a way to add football scholarships