PDA

View Full Version : Univ. of New Haven exploring Division I /FCS

aceinthehole
September 4th, 2019, 05:54 PM
Per the Hartford Courant:

The University of New Haven has hired Sheahon Zenger as athletic director and the school will explore the possibility of moving to Division I, according to a source.

Zenger, who was the athletic director at Kansas in 2011-18, will be introduced during a press conference Thursday morning.

New Haven is currently a Division II program. A move would require major facilities upgrades and various other investments and expenses. The football program would participate at the Division I FCS level.
https://www.courant.com/sports/college/hc-sp-university-new-haven-sheahon-zenger-20190904-20190904-gtansaqirvh43nj4wveqg327vu-story.html

And from the New Haven Register:

WEST HAVEN — The University of New Haven has found its new athletic director, hiring former University of Kansas AD Sheahon Zenger.

The school will introduce Zenger at a 10 a.m. press conference Thursday. The hiring of a former Division I administrator is a sign the school is upgrading athletics, which could include a move to Division I from Division II.

He will replace former NFL coach Chris Palmer, who retired in June.

“I came to interview about two and a half weeks ago. I came for two days and stayed for seven. I fell in love with the place,” Zenger told Hearst Connecticut Media Wednesday. “I was attracted to President (Steven) Kaplan, his leadership, the trajectory of the institution — all the stuff you know about. It’s easy to get excited about.”

Zenger led the Kansas athletic department from 2011 to 2018. He was fired in May 2018, as school chancellor Douglas Girod said in a letter to school staff that “progress in key areas has been elusive.”

Since then, he has worked as a consult at TCU and has coached high school football in Kansas.
https://www.nhregister.com/sports/article/New-Haven-hiring-former-Kansas-AD-Sheahon-Zenger-14413923.php

aceinthehole
September 4th, 2019, 06:00 PM
New Haven has had a very successful D-II program over the years and has knocked off some I-AA/FCS teams, including UConn, Lafayette, Monmouth, Robert Morris, and Villanova

In 1997, New Haven had four freshmen starters, only seven offensive linemen on the roster and a transfer quarterback, Cazzie Kosciolek, who had been benched at Boston University for a younger player. Still, New Haven, which lost in the national semifinals in 1992, advanced to NCAA Division II championship game for the first time since the program's founding in 1973.

With head coach Tony Sparano, a future NFL head coach and current offensive coordinator of the New York Jets, putting more of an emphasis on defense, the Chargers surrendered an average of 11.6 points per game.

Meanwhile an electric offense averaged 42.8 points per game behind the passing of Kosciolek, who would finish third in voting for the Harlon Hill Trophy, given to the best Division II player.
"He was a tough guy from Pennsylvania who, no matter what happened to him, was going to be resilient," said Pete Rossomando, the Chargers' current head coach and special teams' coordinator and defensive line coach in 1997.
The Chargers opponent in the title game, played at Florence, Ala., was defending champion Northern Colorado. The Bears defense was led by defensive end Aaron Smith, a future Pro Bowl selection and member of Sports Illustrated's 2000s all-decade team who later helped the Pittsburgh Steelers to a pair of Super Bowl titles.

It wasn't much of a contest. Northern Colorado's 51-0 victory was the most lopsided victory in the history of the game and the first time New Haven was shut out in 14 years.
Six years later, UNH dropped football due to budgetary issues. It returned in 2009, last season making a return to the Division II tournament.
https://www.nhregister.com/news/article/NEW-HAVEN-200-UNH-football-team-reaches-1997-11467551.php

TheKingpin28
September 4th, 2019, 06:53 PM
So New Haven would most likely go NEC, which would then go to 12 teams and 10 for football (which is not ideal). I guess the question is this, would they tell Duquesne they need to find a new home (PL would be ideal for geographic fit, but is not on academic par with the rest of the schools) or would they be willing to play the skip game where 2 teams could finish 8-0 or go the Southland route and play a 9 conference season where schools get 4 or 5 home games in the conference and then go catch a payday at 2 other schools and potentially 3 during 12 game seasons.

CenMEBlackBearFan
September 4th, 2019, 07:46 PM
What would happen when UNH played UNHxlolx

KPSUL
September 4th, 2019, 07:55 PM

UNH would win!

SUPharmacist
September 4th, 2019, 08:03 PM
Tried to post an image, realized I am an idiot.

Anyways, would they be a good FCS addition for the Northeast?

Laker
September 4th, 2019, 08:11 PM
https://newhavenchargers.com/images/2013/6/13/newhaven_adrotator_full_bottom_dellacamera.jpg

aceinthehole
September 4th, 2019, 09:02 PM
So New Haven would most likely go NEC, which would then go to 12 teams and 10 for football (which is not ideal). I guess the question is this, would they tell Duquesne they need to find a new home (PL would be ideal for geographic fit, but is not on academic par with the rest of the schools) or would they be willing to play the skip game where 2 teams could finish 8-0 or go the Southland route and play a 9 conference season where schools get 4 or 5 home games in the conference and then go catch a payday at 2 other schools and potentially 3 during 12 game seasons.

Yes, the NEC is the most likely landing spot if New Haven was to upgrade - and NCAA rules require a team to find a conference before they can reclassify to D-I.

That being said, this is likely a few years away, if it happens at all. Merrimack, which accepted the NEC's invitation to become the league's 11th full time member last September, began it's four-year NCAA reclassification this season and is on its way to becoming an official member of the conference in 2023-24.

Also, the NEC is not sending Duquesne away - they will be welcome for as long as they want to be an affiliate member.

OhioHen
September 5th, 2019, 06:05 AM
UNH would lose every time!

FYP

UNHWildcat18
September 5th, 2019, 06:49 AM

IMO No. Just another tiny school with a tiny football stadium, not going to bring any relevance to the FCS name brand. The real UNH won't have them as a conference mate so whatever though.

DFW HOYA
September 5th, 2019, 07:23 AM
IMO No. Just another tiny school with a tiny football stadium, not going to bring any relevance to the FCS name brand. The real UNH won't have them as a conference mate so whatever though.

DellaCamera Stadium in New Haven currently has three times the capacity of Georgetown's 15 year construction project.

https://newhavenchargers.com/images/2018/9/21/SlipperyRock_vs_NewHaven_Football_20150905_GB7_260 2.jpg?width=600&height=201&mode=crop

NHwildEcat
September 5th, 2019, 07:57 AM
So while I am a supporter of UNH, I am also an alum of DII institution SNHU (who plays New Haven in the NE10 currently). Merrimack was a former conference mate, as was Lowell. What I continue to not be able to wrap my head around is what advantage does New Have have moving up to DI? They don't have the facilities yet - so it will be a huge financial undertaking not to mention they will never be competitive again nationally. The NE10 in DII is one of the better conferences and boosts many national champions and is multi bid for a great number of NCAA tournaments across most sports. I guess these schools prefer to take the step up so they can get their name on the scroll of ESPN? I cannot fathom the justification of spending more to be a punching bag to the DI elites.

Maybe they are looking far into the future and see a world where DI splits into two sub groups based on financial positions and they want to just be sure they remain at the second highest level in the NCAA? I'm not sure.

It makes even less sense to me that New Haven would move up with the large number of DI programs already in CT. I wish them well, but I cannot wrap my head around the move...or potential move I should say.

CenMEBlackBearFan
September 5th, 2019, 10:13 AM
UNH would win!

Yes, But UNH will lose this one as wellxrotatehx

In all seriousness not sure that Connecticut needs another FCS program but after what is going on with UConn who knows what the future will bring to football in the nutmeg state.
Didn't I have fun with my Connecticut family discussing the potential rivalry game of UConn and CCSUxthumbsupx
Not to mention that Maine could be favored when we play UConn next yearxdrunkyx

Laker
September 5th, 2019, 10:24 AM
Yes, But UNH will lose this one as wellxrotatehx

In all seriousness not sure that Connecticut needs another FCS program but after what is going on with UConn who knows what the future will bring to football in the nutmeg state.
Didn't I have fun with my Connecticut family discussing the potential rivalry game of UConn and CCSUxthumbsupx
Not to mention that Maine could be favored when we play UConn next yearxdrunkyx

Bring back the Yankee Conference- UConn, Maine, UMass, New Hampshire, Rhode Island- get Vermont to restart, add some other New England schools and things would be better off than the failed FBS experiment.

clenz
September 5th, 2019, 10:37 AM
Same thing that happens when Idaho State, Indiana State and Illinois State play

or Montana State, Murray State and Missouri State

Hell, this year UNI plays the ISU Grand Slam
@ Iowa State
v Idaho State
@ Illinois State
v Indiana State

UNHWildcat18
September 5th, 2019, 10:49 AM
Bring back the Yankee Conference- UConn, Maine, UMass, New Hampshire, Rhode Island- get Vermont to restart, add some other New England schools and things would be better off than the failed FBS experiment.

No one wants vermont to start football again lol

UNHWildcat18
September 5th, 2019, 10:51 AM
DellaCamera Stadium in New Haven currently has three times the capacity of Georgetown's 15 year construction project.

https://newhavenchargers.com/images/2018/9/21/SlipperyRock_vs_NewHaven_Football_20150905_GB7_260 2.jpg?width=600&height=201&mode=crop
Its a high school stadium IMO. Not going to be improved anytime soon, and when it comes to the hoyas, Georgetown should be ashamed of themselves. At least their new stadium will be done this year. They really should do an away side if they fill the place over a few seasons

ngineer
September 5th, 2019, 11:30 AM

Geographically,Duquesne is perfect for the PL. As for the academics, I don't know how they compare with some of the non-football schools,i.e. Loyola-MD, American and Boston U..I know their 'competiveness' index is not at the level of the football schools, but then, neither was Towson who we took on for time as they built their program. Since the PL in basketball is evenly balanced, I would see them only as an associate as is Fordham and Georgetown.

ColonialInsider
September 5th, 2019, 08:38 PM
Geographically,Duquesne is perfect for the PL. As for the academics, I don't know how they compare with some of the non-football schools,i.e. Loyola-MD, American and Boston U..I know their 'competiveness' index is not at the level of the football schools, but then, neither was Towson who we took on for time as they built their program. Since the PL in basketball is evenly balanced, I would see them only as an associate as is Fordham and Georgetown.Duquesne would never leave the A-10 for basketball, unless they were kicked out or the A-10 dissolved. And those two scenarios are unlikely.That said, there have been rumblings around the NEC for the past few years that Robert Morris, Bryant, and Wagner have explored other options (Wagner was believed to be vetted by the MAAC at the same time that Quinnipiac and Monmouth jumped to the MAAC from the NEC). CCSU has had financial issues and is still the only public school in the league. By the time New Haven makes the commitment to jump - if they even decide to do it - the league could look different. Or it could be the same, and New Haven simply becomes the 10th football team and 12th basketball team. A 9-game schedule in football could help the NEC avoid D2/D3 schools. A divisional schedule could work for basketball (other leagues make it work just fine with 12 or more teams).

caribbeanhen
September 5th, 2019, 09:22 PM

Young man showed up at work a few weeks ago, today he asked me.... Hey, I heard you were a big college football fan, I said well yes kind of, Iám actually a small college football fan........ He said I played college football..... where? Iona.......................... I told him jokingly .....Now I know why they dropped the sport...... actually he's a good kid and can take a joke and dish it out to

Moral of the story..... I wish I knew a little more about Iona foootball

ST_Lawson
September 5th, 2019, 09:53 PM

Gaels, right?

That's pretty much the limit of my knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sader87
September 5th, 2019, 10:04 PM
Iona had very good hoop in the late 70s/early 80s under Valvano....beat Louisville in 1980 who went on to win the NCAAS that year

Their football was D1 in name only for a brief period when the MAAC had football

Laker
September 5th, 2019, 10:08 PM

Not as bad as I'd thought the record would be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iona_Gaels_football

DFW HOYA
September 5th, 2019, 10:39 PM
Iona was part of the doomed MAAC Football League- three teams survived (Duquesne, Georgetown, Marist), seven did not (Canisius, Faifield, Iona, LaSalle, St. Peter's, St. John's, Siena) Was part of the first football game ever on ESPN2. At one point was good enough that there was rumors Fordham might join (this in the wake of a disastrous record into the early 1990's PL). Suffered through lots of inter-school squabbling and grumbling that associate members (Duquesne, Georgetown) were always better than everyone else. Soon the MAAC offices advised their schools to deemphasize the programs. Iona held out as long as they could.

The school that lost the most was Fairfield--a rising name in basketball with a good football team that could have easily migrated to the Pioneer or even Patriot had it hung on. Today, it's an afterthought--no NCAA basketball appearances since dropping football.

Go Green
September 6th, 2019, 09:20 AM
Iona had very good hoop in the late 70s/early 80s under Valvano....beat Louisville in 1980 who went on to win the NCAAS that year

The Big East doomed Iona Basketball (and others) from relevance. Valvano knew he had to leave for a conference program when he started losing recruits to Seton Hall (a BE founding member). And the rest is history...

Go Green
September 6th, 2019, 09:23 AM
The school that lost the most was Fairfield--a rising name in basketball with a good football team that could have easily migrated to the Pioneer or even Patriot had it hung on. Today, it's an afterthought--no NCAA basketball appearances since dropping football.

I think its widely recognized that with the sole exception of St. Mary's, dropping football to concentrate on basketball has never worked.

DFW HOYA
September 6th, 2019, 12:24 PM
I think its widely recognized that with the sole exception of St. Mary's, dropping football to concentrate on basketball has never worked.

He never listened. Amazing that the school is still afraid to challenge his ghost.

https://www.whitingbooks.com/assets/images/product/00738_2.jpg

ngineer
September 6th, 2019, 02:42 PM
Young man showed up at work a few weeks ago, today he asked me.... Hey, I heard you were a big college football fan, I said well yes kind of, Iám actually a small college football fan........ He said I played college football..... where? Iona.......................... I told him jokingly .....Now I know why they dropped the sport...... actually he's a good kid and can take a joke and dish it out to

I own a number of footballs...xsmiley_wix

caribbeanhen
September 6th, 2019, 04:53 PM
thank you to all of you who educated me on Iona football, never to old to learn something

ngineer.... not sure what you are getting at with the I own a number of footballs comment.... please tell us

ok, back to New Haven, the home of the clam pizza

KPSUL
September 6th, 2019, 04:56 PM

In other words, one iota of Iona football!

KPSUL
September 6th, 2019, 05:02 PM

I was going to say yes until I saw that blue field. H_ll no!!

caribbeanhen
September 10th, 2019, 07:00 PM
Some of New Haven’s finest I was told

Don Pepe

OhioHen
September 11th, 2019, 06:26 AM
ngineer.... not sure what you are getting at with the I own a number of footballs comment.... please tell us

A play on words - Iona football = I own a football
ngineer owns more than one football

ngineer
September 11th, 2019, 12:33 PM
A play on words - Iona football = I own a football
ngineer owns more than one football

That. I feel like Mr. Chicken, but someone understands me!:)

caribbeanhen
September 11th, 2019, 12:51 PM
That. I feel like Mr. Chicken, but someone understands me!:)

duh, That one sailed right over my head, For a minute there I thought you were hinting about your old playing days and all your game balls

Laker
September 11th, 2019, 01:31 PM
duh, That one sailed right over my head, For a minute there I thought you were hinting about your old playing days and all your game balls

As long as we are talking about balls- what do you do with an elephant with three balls?

Walk him and pitch to the giraffe.

bonarae
September 11th, 2019, 05:36 PM
Meanwhile... I was trying to compare New Haven to ETSU. They both dropped football but added it back within 20 years of dropping it (New Haven was ahead of ETSU by 6 years.) What exactly happened in West Haven?

Original_RMC
September 14th, 2019, 07:52 PM
I could see in a few years RMU leaving the NEC with their new arena. The question is where would they land.
Basketball is the driver in terms of sports but hockey and lacrosse are great programs while football continues to struggle.

Could RMU be a fit for the PL? Not sure but I’m sure the PL fans will laugh and say no.

ST_Lawson
September 14th, 2019, 08:02 PM
I could see in a few years RMU leaving the NEC with their new arena. The question is where would they land.
Basketball is the driver in terms of sports but hockey and lacrosse are great programs while football continues to struggle.

Could RMU be a fit for the PL? Not sure but I’m sure the PL fans will laugh and say no.

The horizon league message board thinks RMU could be a possibility for expansion. I don't know enough about the situation to say if that's a realistic thing or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laker
September 14th, 2019, 11:21 PM
The horizon league message board thinks RMU could be a possibility for expansion. I don't know enough about the situation to say if that's a realistic thing or not.

I've heard the same thing. But do they want to expand?

ST_Lawson
September 14th, 2019, 11:52 PM
I've heard the same thing. But do they want to expand?

They'll have 11 teams starting next year, which is from the sounds of it, not ideal. Probably looking to add one to make it an even 12 teams.
Horizon League likes schools in larger metro areas generally, even if they're lower down the "totem pole" for the area. RMU is just outside of Pittsburgh, practically next door to their primary airport, pretty close to the Horizon League footprint, building (maybe have built...idk if it's done yet) a new basketball arena, makes them a good travel partner with Youngstown State, etc. They'd be only the 2nd private school in the Horizon League (Detroit Mercy), but if everything else fits the bill...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Does RMU take their football down to the Pioneer League if they do that? Shift money to basketball? Try to be like Dayton or Butler?
IDK enough about RMU to be able to say on that front.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 18th, 2019, 12:34 PM
He never listened. Amazing that the school is still afraid to challenge his ghost.

https://www.whitingbooks.com/assets/images/product/00738_2.jpg

You must spread some reputation around before giving 1,000,000 rep points to DFW Hoya

Lehigh Football Nation
September 18th, 2019, 12:38 PM
Imagine a second a 14 team NEC with 12 football schools. Break the NEC into divisions, E/W.

East:
Bryant
New Haven
Merrimack
Sacred Heart
CCSU
LIU

West:
Duquesne
SFPA
Robert Morris
Wagner
Monmouth
West Chester

Or something like that.

ccd494
September 18th, 2019, 01:23 PM
Imagine a second a 14 team NEC with 12 football schools. Break the NEC into divisions, E/W.

East:
Bryant
New Haven
Merrimack
Sacred Heart
CCSU
LIU

West:
Duquesne
SFPA
Robert Morris
Wagner
Monmouth
West Chester

Or something like that.

If you are in a one bid conference, why would you want to add teams and make it harder for you to get that one bid? Particularly when there is no monetary incentive- there won't be some big new TV deal by adding schools. If anything, you are dividing a tiny pie even further.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 18th, 2019, 01:31 PM
If you are in a one bid conference, why would you want to add teams and make it harder for you to get that one bid? Particularly when there is no monetary incentive- there won't be some big new TV deal by adding schools. If anything, you are dividing a tiny pie even further.

If you were, say, CCSU, you could play 5x games against your divisionmates every year, 3x against the other division, and 3x OOC games, which could cut down on travel. Perhaps 1 long bus trip to Pittsburgh area instead of 2. Theoretically more attendance at games because there are more local fans of Merrimack, LIU, etc.

dbackjon
September 18th, 2019, 01:53 PM
If you were, say, CCSU, you could play 5x games against your divisionmates every year, 3x against the other division, and 3x OOC games, which could cut down on travel. Perhaps 1 long bus trip to Pittsburgh area instead of 2. Theoretically more attendance at games because there are more local fans of Merrimack, LIU, etc.

That would be the reason to expand/go to division - save on travel costs.

DFW HOYA
September 18th, 2019, 05:40 PM
Or something like that.

Question: Could those seven in the west form their own conference (and presumed autobid)? How long would that take?

aceinthehole
September 18th, 2019, 08:27 PM

No. That expansion scenario doesn't help CCSU or any NEC team. We head to Western PA twice in even years, and just once in odd year right now. Expanding for divisions don't really help the New England teams, only the Pennsylvania-3

The latest additions made sense to the NEC because we added 2 football programs, but just one basketball program.

The 11-team basketball schedule allows for a 18-game or potentially 20-game season. Sure, it means the league moves away from the even Thurs/Sat schedule and throws a weekly bye into the mix, but it isn't difficult to schedule for hoops. Only 8 teams qualify for our league tourney, so adding more schools isn't a move the league is looking at right now.

The 9-team football membership allows for a 8-game schedule - perfect. Teams now only need to find 3 non-conference games, instead of the 5 games recently. This has lead to the annual D-II opponent on football schedules. A typical schedule is a FBS opponent or $$$ FCS game, plus a home/away with regional FCS opponents from the PL, Ivy, Pioneer, Morgan State, Delaware State, Hampton, or Monmouth.

I don't envision the NEC expanding anytime soon. It is unlikely RMU joins the Horizon or CCSU moves to the AE. And if either school did, they football team would not be welcome in the NEC.