PDA

View Full Version : Howard vs. Youngstown St.YSU hosts Howard

Paladin1aa
September 2nd, 2019, 10:17 AM
YSU hosts Howard this week. Howard was humbled by Maryland 79-0. YSU dominated Samford in the Guardian FCS game opener in Montgomery, AL. , 45-22. YSU came out of the game fairly healthy and should be a load for Howard.

YSU’s D was lead by 6th year Senior DE Reed, a Florida transfer ,with 2.5 sacks and Vandy transfer S Jones with 2 INTs. On O, WVU grad transfer C Jones and new Juco OG Velez solidified the OL leading to a solid run game. However, the QB situation still has questions.

Howard is expected to throw the ball a lot and face a tough YSU D which should limit their run game as well. The Howard D is seen as non-existant.

The pick is YSU , comfortably, and should see more play time with backups to try to build some depth. Some redshirts should see the field as well.

Feel free to discuss and make your pick for the winner.

HIUguy08
September 2nd, 2019, 11:55 AM
Howard is about to get molly whooped! No way your program should be best that bad even though it’s an FBS; YSU 53- HOWu 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BisonBacker
September 2nd, 2019, 11:59 AM
Just what the doctor ordered for YSU LOL.

Professor
September 2nd, 2019, 12:38 PM
Yea i think this is gonna be over by the half

Paladin1aa
September 2nd, 2019, 02:37 PM
5dimes has Youngstown State as a 23.5 point favorite over Howard in their opening line.

bonarae
September 2nd, 2019, 07:24 PM
I'll take the Penguins by 17.

Panther88
September 2nd, 2019, 11:17 PM
The humility provided by univ of md was truly needed to quell the arrogance we can sometimes offer. All talk, no a$$.

I think coach will have us ready for battle.

ysubigred
September 3rd, 2019, 08:32 AM
Say what you want about coach Bo but he'd never pin 79 on someone even "if" his team could.

YSU should roll but it may not be as bad as one would think.

Hats of to Howard for stepping up to the plate and playing the tough schedule xbowx

Professor
September 3rd, 2019, 08:48 AM
Say what you want about coach Bo but he'd never pin 79 on someone even "if" his team could.

YSU should roll but it may not be as bad as one would think.

Hats of to Howard for stepping up to the plate and playing the tough schedule xbowx

tough schedules don't keep you in a coaching job

ysubigred
September 3rd, 2019, 09:25 AM
tough schedules don't keep you in a coaching job

Agree with ^^ Once Howard gets to the meat of their schedule/conference Maryland and YSU will have them ready for it.

Paladin1aa
September 4th, 2019, 10:21 AM
The Howard - YSU match up will pit the YSU D against the 2018 MEAC Player of the Year, QB Newton. He has also been selected as the Pre-season Player of the Year in the MEAC. He threw for over 2600 yds last year and 22 TDs while running for over 500 yds and 4 TDs. Yet my expectation is he will be sacked numerous times, YSU will get INTs and Bison will not score much. The game reminds me when Air McNair brought his passing game to YSU in a playoff appearance and got spanked by the YSU D in a blowout Guin win . As in the opener with Samford, the YSU D may score again.

Penguin Nation
September 4th, 2019, 12:53 PM
I guess the strategy is to forego P5 revenue in hopes that the playoff selection committee will ignore your absurdly weak OOC, hope to go 0.500 in conference, and get in with an 8-4 record. Samford lost to a team that barely won a game last year. RMU is ranked by Massey at 119/126 lol. I mean seriously. 4 OOC games and you can't at least play a MAC team. Who are other MVFC teams playing OOC? Oklahoma, Kansas, Iowa State, MN, and competitive FCS teams like the Griz or UND. When Rapist U goes to the Unidome, they'll have 1/3 of their season behind them and not have faced anything to prep them for the MVFC. Not sure I see 4 MVFC wins for them, and even if it works, and it might, I don't see them going deep with no depth.

Paladin1aa
September 4th, 2019, 03:45 PM
You have a point, PN. My preseason prediction was to go 7-5 because of the late additions of transfers/Jucos and getting back 6th year DE Reed and S Hegedus from injuries. OOC is too easy and the MVFC is tough. My predictions of losses include NDSU, SDSU, UNI and ISUr. Also expected them to split toss up games with USD and ISUb while winning SIU and WIU. Presto 7-5. But if they win both toss ups or edge a power team who may have injuries that week, 8-4 might happen. If so, YSU is normally paired with a weak East or Southern team who they demolish before hitting a tough game. A deep playoff run needs a good QB and a healthy or deep team. YSU has QB problems and limited depth.

Penguin Nation
September 4th, 2019, 04:28 PM
I'd agree that WIU gets flipped from a loss in '18 to a win in '19, and other wins include SIU, and USD. If a fourth win occurs, it'd likely be ISUr. Possibly ISUb, but I think ISUb beats them again. UNI, and -DSUs are losses.

ytownchief22
September 4th, 2019, 08:48 PM
Easy win. East side press box is done and looks good! Welcome addition to the stadium.

Paladin1aa
September 4th, 2019, 09:39 PM
Post some pics, Chief.

ysubigred
September 5th, 2019, 08:07 AM
I'll wait till UNI to be a believer or non. "IF" YSU get's by UNI in the big gym the Guins should do no worse that 9-3 but more like 10-2. xtwocentsx

Paladin1aa
September 5th, 2019, 10:09 AM
More Howard info - Cailyn Newton, the Howard QB, is the younger brother of Carolina Panther QB Cam Newton. He won MEAC player of the year as a Soph. last year. The down side is he is protected by an OL who starts 2 Frosh. They also have a Frosh PK.

The only way the score stays down is if YSU plays everyone early and rests the starters for the long grind ahead.

I will say YSU 49 - 17. They score more than against Samford and give up fewer points vs Samford.

Paladin1aa
September 7th, 2019, 02:47 PM
Halftime

Howard 14

YSU. 27

Howard QB Newton is best athlete on field and YSU struggling to contain him. YSU QB troubles continues struggles. Looking for halftime adjustments.

ysubigred
September 7th, 2019, 03:41 PM
Halftime

Howard 14

YSU. 27

Howard QB Newton is best athlete on field and YSU struggling to contain him. YSU QB troubles continues struggles. Looking for halftime adjustments.YSUs so undisciplined on defense.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

penguinpower
September 7th, 2019, 04:11 PM
54-21 Penguins 7 min left in q4

Paladin1aa
September 7th, 2019, 04:39 PM
Final

YSU. 54

Howard 28

YSU played a lot of kids the second half and making some decent adjustments at halftime. The D is as advertised. QBs still shakey but the run game by committee was dominant. Bozo has some explaining to do about not playing Waid. It’s obvious that both Mays and Craycraft are not the answer.

Next up - Duquesne.

ytownchief22
September 7th, 2019, 04:40 PM
Sloppy early on. Passing game still a little shaky... Howard's offense should do well in the MEAC. Couple talented players on that side of the ball.

Paladin1aa
September 7th, 2019, 05:31 PM
Heres an insight - of the YSU QBs, none in game situations looks very good. We all know about Mays - runs a lot and gets hurt. Lacks a pass game. Craycraft is a step down both running and passing. Question - why haven’t we seen Waid ? He can play 4 games and not lose his redshirt.

Answer - Mays is a Senior. Craycraft an underclassmen. If they play Waid and he wins the job, Mays graduates, Craycraft transfers and YSU is left with a Frosh starting QB that scares off other QB recruits and gives you 2 walk ons backing him up. Bozo is shaking in his boots.

ysubigred
September 7th, 2019, 05:44 PM
Heres an insight - of the YSU QBs, none in game situations looks very good. We all know about Mays - runs a lot and gets hurt. Lacks a pass game. Craycraft is a step down both running and passing. Question - why haven’t we seen Waid ? He can play 4 games and not lose his redshirt.

Answer - Mays is a Senior. Craycraft an underclassmen. If they play Waid and he wins the job, Mays graduates, Craycraft transfers and YSU is left with a Frosh starting QB that scares off other QB recruits and gives you 2 walk ons backing him up. Bozo is shaking in his boots.I'm not sure if the two walk on's aren't better than #1 and 2 QB?

ytownchief22
September 7th, 2019, 06:16 PM
Bo knows Nate and Joe need as many live reps as they can get, let's be honest. YSU D has one liability and opponents know it.

ysubigred
September 7th, 2019, 06:24 PM
Bo knows Nate and Joe need as many live reps as they can get, let's be honest. YSU D has one liability and opponents know it.YSUs D probably faced the biggest duel threat challenge they'll face all year. The MVFC plays power football except UNI, SDSU and Illinois St. We can't make DBs grow taller but we can clean up the bone head penalties. Nate and Joe are just flat out horrible QBs period!

Paladin1aa
September 7th, 2019, 06:36 PM
Bozo has said, repeatedly, that Waid is close to Nate and Joe. Really ? With the first 4 games easy and Waid able to play 4 games and not lose his redshirt, why haven’t we seen him ? Would it be in game time that he is actually the best QB ? And if so, then my above scenario is true.

ytownchief22
September 7th, 2019, 06:51 PM
Special teams concern me big time. Will cost them a game later in the year.

ysubigred
September 7th, 2019, 07:01 PM
Special teams concern me big time. Will cost them a game later in the year.McFadden has a nice kickoff. But an old woman in a hovaround can kick it straighter on xp's than him [emoji2962] plus the punter good god nothing I can say for that without getting banned from here.

penguinpower
September 7th, 2019, 08:05 PM
Bozo has said, repeatedly, that Waid is close to Nate and Joe. Really ? With the first 4 games easy and Waid able to play 4 games and not lose his redshirt, why haven’t we seen him ? Would it be in game time that he is actually the best QB ? And if so, then my above scenario is true.

I think he’s waiting until he wrecks one of the QBs

penguinpower
September 7th, 2019, 08:13 PM
Does anyone know how Cam Newton’s brother ended up at QB for Howard? That kid is special. He was clearly the best true athlete on the field today. I was very impressed by him. How was he not picked up by an FBS school or power 5 FCS?

The Yo Show
September 7th, 2019, 08:14 PM
I've heard pelini say waid, as a freshman, is not far behind craycroft and then Mays. I'm not sure if it's a locker room thing? Maybe the team is behind Mays? Idk. From my vantage point Mays did seem to act like a leader on the sidelines. Everyone talking to him. He went to talk to the defensive player (55 iirc?) after he threw that punch. Idk.

Honestly, I think waid is the future though if the stuff I've heard about his arm strength is true. Not sure though without seeing him in game. Until I do it is all speculation.

The Yo Show
September 7th, 2019, 08:16 PM
Does anyone know how Cam Newton’s brother ended up at QB for Howard? That kid is special. He was clearly the best true athlete on the field today. I was very impressed by him. How was he not picked up by an FBS school or power 5 FCS?

Great question! He's young yet too wait till he's a senior. Would have been a worse game today if his oline wasn't so young

Paladin1aa
September 7th, 2019, 08:38 PM
Next up is Duquesne who beat D-II Walsh, 44-3.

ysubigred
September 7th, 2019, 09:01 PM
Next up is Duquesne who beat D-II Walsh, 44-3.Can't wait for this one. Duquesne is more what the Guins will face in the MVFC. Got to clean up the penalties 1st off. Find a new punter and QB we'll be fine [emoji86][emoji85][emoji87]

Paladin1aa
September 7th, 2019, 09:15 PM
Dukes have a solid RB, Hines, that is 5’11, 225. He is their bread and butter.

ysubigred
September 7th, 2019, 09:38 PM
Just a thought here and I'll move onto next week. I think we need to give some credit to Howard! Losing 79-0 to Maryland probably isn't as bad as it sounds. MD pinned 63 on #21 Syracuse. I don't think the Guins would fare much better vs MD.