PDA

View Full Version : Lafayette at Temple in 2022

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 30th, 2019, 02:57 PM
Will the Leopards post a winning season before Temple meets them in Philly. Will the game be at the Linc?

This is the third PL team the Owls will have played in a relatively short period of time. Temple continues to play almost exclusively regional FCS programs which is cool. We're not bringing in random schools just for a game. Lehigh has to be coming next imo.

First and foremost, we need to announce another 3-4 game series with Villanova. Best and only truly FBS-FCS rivalry...

https://fbschedules.com/lafayette-releases-2022-football-schedule-includes-game-at-temple/

ngineer
August 30th, 2019, 03:01 PM
Will the Leopards post a winning season until Temple meets them in Philly. Will the game be at the Linc?

This is the third PL team the Owls will have played in a relatively short period of time. Temple continues to play almost exclusively regional FCS programs which is cool. We're not bringing in random schools just for a game. Lehigh has to be coming next imo.

First and foremost, we need to announce another 3-4 game series with Villanova. Best and only truly FBS-FCS rivalry...

https://fbschedules.com/lafayette-releases-2022-football-schedule-includes-game-at-temple/

I think they are being "Garrotted"...

RichH2
August 30th, 2019, 03:15 PM
Nice matchup. Wish Joe would be more proactive. Temple a local FBS. No reason not to get a game.

CHIP72
August 30th, 2019, 03:41 PM
Like GoLehighTUOwl, I have to think Lehigh will play at Temple within the next 10 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PAllen
August 30th, 2019, 06:31 PM
Will the Leopards post a winning season before Temple meets them in Philly. Will the game be at the Linc?

One can only hope, but I doubt our current AD has the stomach for it.

Gangtackle11
August 30th, 2019, 06:42 PM
I hope Bucknell is dramatically improved. Temple will dismantle them very early if they haven’t. Bucknell & Lafayette have no business playing FBS programs currently.

Nova was a mediocre CAA team the past 2 seasons and had both Lafayette & Bucknell down 40+ by half.

The Christians had a better chance against the Lions than these 2 teams. xpeacex

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 30th, 2019, 07:39 PM
One can only hope, but I doubt our current AD has the stomach for it.

I'm not sure I have the stomach for it. The Temple-ND game in 2015 was painful enough.

Any PL that schedules FBS games need to know their place. Irrational ambition can get you in a world of trouble. PL school are at an even bigger disadvantage relative to the majority of FCS when playing up. It's been proven that a legitimately good FCS team can battle and beat Temple. Even when the Owls are pretty good (vs 'Nova '08 and '18) Right now Bucknell and Lafayette have no where near the rosters capable of so much competing with Temple. Tomorrow is going to be a train wreck.

A legit Lehigh team should definitely hang with us most years. They just have to show they can get back to being "consistently good" again.

CHIP72
August 30th, 2019, 09:36 PM
I hope Bucknell is dramatically improved. Temple will dismantle them very early if they haven’t. Bucknell & Lafayette have no business playing FBS programs currently.

Nova was a mediocre CAA team the past 2 seasons and had both Lafayette & Bucknell down 40+ by half.

The Christians had a better chance against the Lions than these 2 teams. xpeacex

In all honesty, based on last year, Lehigh doesn’t have business playing DI-A/FBS teams either. I was at the Lehigh/Navy game, and the Mountain Hawks were totally outclassed by the worst team Navy has had in many years. It was embarrassing how uncompetitive Lehigh was in that game for long stretches of the game.

If Lehigh, and Patriot League teams in general, want to be competitive against DI-A teams, they need to step up their game significantly.

Incidentally, with regard to Bucknell/Temple, the question to me is whether the Bison will be more competitive than the MEAC’s Delaware State was against the Owls in 2014. Temple won that game 59-0, and they called off the dogs in the 2nd half; it was 49-0 at halftime.

P.S. I was also at the Lafayette/Delaware game last year, and the Leopards were beaten as badly as the 37-0 final score would indicate.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 30th, 2019, 10:45 PM
In all honesty, based on last year, Lehigh doesn’t have business playing DI-A/FBS teams either. I was at the Lehigh/Navy game, and the Mountain Hawks were totally outclassed by the worst team Navy has had in many years. It was embarrassing how uncompetitive Lehigh was in that game for long stretches of the game.

If Lehigh, and Patriot League teams in general, want to be competitive against DI-A teams, they need to step up their game significantly.

Incidentally, with regard to Bucknell/Temple, the question to me is whether the Bison will be more competitive than the MEAC’s Delaware State was against the Owls in 2014. Temple won that game 59-0, and they called off the dogs in the 2nd half; it was 49-0 at halftime.

P.S. I was also at the Lafayette/Delaware game last year, and the Leopards were beaten as badly as the 37-0 final score would indicate.

The results in the PL vs FBS games have generally been awful. They're far worse than other conferences when you factor in the PL is mostly playing G5 programs. The added handicaps make it that much more difficult to compete/win. I personally don't see the valor/point in scheduling games against opponents everyone knows is going to kick your butt.

The PL teams that won, came close iirc all shared similar traits, good team/awful FBS team. Lehigh was ranked #2 when they beat Buffalo in 2002, Holy Cross was 7-4 that year when they took out 1-11 Army, Colgate finished #2 when they beat the brutally bad Bulls in '03, Fordham was Top 15 in 2013 when they beat 2-10 Temple. A meh Bucknell hung in against Army a few years ago, likewise with HC and UConn recently.

If Lehigh's going to lose by 50 I rather it be to UC-Davis than Syracuse. At least I know where Lehigh stacks up relative to their peers by the UC-Davis loss.