PDA

View Full Version : IT'S GAMEDAY!!!!!!!!!!!

BEAR
August 29th, 2019, 06:58 AM
Schedule from ESPN: NOTE- These times are EASTERN.

https://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31065&d=1567079903

I can't wait to watch some FOOTBALL!

http://www.espn.com/college-football/conferences/schedule/_/id/81/fcs-aa-conference

Bisonator
August 29th, 2019, 07:30 AM
https://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/My_a8654d_5453340.gif

ysubigred
August 29th, 2019, 07:32 AM
https://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/My_a8654d_5453340.gif

Game day? That was last Saturday xtroublex :D

Redbird 4th & short
August 29th, 2019, 07:47 AM
serious question ... why would teams purposely schedule their opener on a thursday night ??

ST_Lawson
August 29th, 2019, 08:03 AM
serious question ... why would teams purposely schedule their opener on a thursday night ??

I don't really know, but we almost always do that when we're playing a home game to open the season.

BEAR
August 29th, 2019, 08:05 AM

Great question. I had planned to drive to Kentucky to watch our game that was originally scheduled for this Saturday but the FBS team rescheduled it for Thursday. Sux. I can't miss work this time of year. Maybe they think since its a 3 day weekend that fans wouldn't show up Saturday and maybe they can get more there on a Thursday. xdontknowx

rtzlunar
August 29th, 2019, 08:10 AM

In the southeast everyone is a bandwagon SEC fan. 90% of these “fans” couldn’t find the campus of “their team” on a map, didn’t attend college, etc.

In Chattanooga we seem to have better crowds for Thursday night games than Saturday games when we don’t bump up against the orange idiots on TV. Of course our crowds suck, but even more on Saturday.

Outsider1
August 29th, 2019, 08:27 AM
Does an open ESPN+ slot help dictate it? xdontknowx

ST_Lawson
August 29th, 2019, 09:23 AM
Does an open ESPN+ slot help dictate it? xdontknowx

I don't think that would make a difference. Since ESPN+ is a streaming-only channel, there's not really "slots" in the traditional sense. They could have 100 games going on simultaneously if they wanted to (depending on server and bandwidth constraints), although spacing them out a bit allows people to watch more games. We've also done the Thursday night thing well before online streaming was a thing, so I don't think it has much to do with the broadcast situation.

JSUSoutherner
August 29th, 2019, 09:26 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190829/be760d517e6eebc4ad52094a4bac195c.gif

Sent from my Galaxy S9+ using Tapatalk

Bisonator
August 29th, 2019, 09:45 AM
I suppose it depends on who they are competing against for fans. I don't remember the last time NDSU scheduled a Thursday night game.

JSUSoutherner
August 29th, 2019, 09:54 AM

Because they suck.

Our game with SLU was originally on Saturday. And would have allowed me to make a weekend out of it and spend some time in NOLA.

Then they moved it to Thursday and screwed over most of the Jax State fans who wanted to make the trip.

Outsider1
August 29th, 2019, 10:20 AM
I don't think that would make a difference. Since ESPN+ is a streaming-only channel, there's not really "slots" in the traditional sense. They could have 100 games going on simultaneously if they wanted to (depending on server and bandwidth constraints), although spacing them out a bit allows people to watch more games. We've also done the Thursday night thing well before online streaming was a thing, so I don't think it has much to do with the broadcast situation.

That would make sense, but what doesn't is if really does drop attendance because of everyone who can't travel on a weekday. If it is to spread games out so more can be seen by fans then most fans would prefer to travel to the game if possible. The only thing that makes sense is to spread games out so that more games are forced to be streamed through ESPN+ and then watched by the same fans who couldn't travel on the weekday to begin with; ie. more money revenew for ESPN.

Stating the obvious to the choir?? xshakefistxxchinscratchx

ST_Lawson
August 29th, 2019, 10:30 AM
oh hey....football

https://media3.giphy.com/media/CzRweuWHtbRn2/source.gif

Time to get up...get excited...get rowdy...

https://media0.giphy.com/media/qxrubqaBpx3eE/giphy.gif

Wait...maybe not that rowdy.

https://i.giphy.com/media/5YemdwVkE443m/giphy.gif

There we go...that's a good level of rowdy.

So kick up your heels...it's GAMEDAY!!!

https://media.giphy.com/media/LpGm0JXrNtqDdwseKw/giphy.gif

CenMEBlackBearFan
August 29th, 2019, 10:37 AM
That would make sense, but what doesn't is if really does drop attendance because of everyone who can't travel on a weekday. If it is to spread games out so more can be seen by fans then most fans would prefer to travel to the game if possible. The only thing that makes sense is to spread games out so that more games are forced to be streamed through ESPN+ and then watched by the same fans who couldn't travel on the weekday to begin with; ie. more money revenew for ESPN.

Stating the obvious to the choir?? xshakefistxxchinscratchx

So if what is the revenue that ESPN + generates for the host school, one would think it is pretty significant to warrant a Thursday nite game?

Schism55
August 29th, 2019, 10:59 AM

Outsider1
August 29th, 2019, 11:15 AM
So if what is the revenue that ESPN + generates for the host school, one would think it is pretty significant to warrant a Thursday nite game?

I am thinking revenue for ESPN, not the school. I guess the only thing the school would like about it is the bigger exposure that may come with a streamed broadcast. I think I am like you in that I am not sure that overrides the reduced attendance by the fans that really care about that particular game. I don't really know if ESPN+ says we will stream you on Thursday, but not Saturday though. That is the slot idea I was originally thinking.

Outsider1
August 29th, 2019, 11:17 AM
LOVE your Gifs ST_Lawson!!!!!!!! xbowxxbowxxbowxxdrunkyxxsalutexxhurrayx

Redbird 4th & short
August 29th, 2019, 11:29 AM
oh, duh ... just realized it is labor day weekend and most of campus empties out.

KPSUL
August 29th, 2019, 11:39 AM
Bear, thanks for pulling this together and posting!

Mocs123
August 29th, 2019, 11:49 AM
We do Thursday night games to get better attendance, or at least that's the thought behind it. We often have our opener on a Thursday night, and this year we have a second game on Thursday vs ETSU on October 17th.

There are 15K people from Chattanooga that drive up to Knoxville for every home game, but we're lucky to get 10K. Being in the middle of SEC country sucks, though I'll admit JSU seems to have overcome that issue. Being in the middle of nowhere in Fargo does have it's issues (with travel costs, recruiting costs, etc) but you are the only team around and don't have to compete with the droves of UTK fans, UGA fans, UA fans, AU fans, etc. Montana is similar, you're either a Montana Fan or a Montana State Fan.

BEAR
August 29th, 2019, 12:06 PM
Bear, thanks for pulling this together and posting!

ESPN makes it easy! xlolx Which reminds me I forgot to post where I got that info from. Original post now edited to give credit where credit is due!

Sycamore62
August 29th, 2019, 12:06 PM

Labor day and you get a couple days rest for your next opponent

JSUSoutherner
August 29th, 2019, 12:07 PM
We do Thursday night games to get better attendance, or at least that's the thought behind it. We often have our opener on a Thursday night, and this year we have a second game on Thursday vs ETSU on October 17th.

There are 15K people from Chattanooga that drive up to Knoxville for every home game, but we're lucky to get 10K. Being in the middle of SEC country sucks, though I'll admit JSU seems to have overcome that issue. Being in the middle of nowhere in Fargo does have it's issues (with travel costs, recruiting costs, etc) but you are the only team around and don't have to compete with the droves of UTK fans, UGA fans, UA fans, AU fans, etc. Montana is similar, you're either a Montana Fan or a Montana State Fan.

Tbh our Thursday games pull better.

But when you pull 20k+ regardless it's not a big deal.

We had Liberty on a Thursday night and that was our record game.

Our openers also pull significantly better.

So do night games.

UTC+ Night Game+ opener= BSF Gon be lit

Outsider1
August 29th, 2019, 12:20 PM
I have to admit that I finally just decided to get ESPN+ this year. The UCA game against WKU was one I didn't want to miss this year. The ability to watch theo ther SLC games also helped me decide. I am stoked that the season is finally here.

Redbird 4th & short
August 29th, 2019, 12:58 PM
oh hey....football

https://media0.giphy.com/media/qxrubqaBpx3eE/giphy.gif

somebody didn't get the Red Out memo

p.s. hilarious how the "staff" guy in yellow shirt is trying to get him to stop hanging onto the poll

BEAR
August 29th, 2019, 01:37 PM
I have to admit that I finally just decided to get ESPN+ this year. The UCA game against WKU was one I didn't want to miss this year. The ability to watch theo ther SLC games also helped me decide. I am stoked that the season is finally here.

ESPN+ is pretty cool. I get to watch the other SLC games that I don't get to attend. Helps me in trying to figure out who will likely do what in the conference. I just have to keep in mind that the first few weeks of SLC play are against FBS and there is a difference in those levels and that isn't necessarily a predictor of how a team will do in our conference. Plus early games are where teams are getting their chemistry together...or not.