PDA

View Full Version : Guardian Kickoff Classic TV Ratings - Really Good

SU DOG
August 27th, 2019, 09:40 AM
I wish the Bulldogs had been a little more competitive, but evidently the exposure for this game was terrific. According to ESPN, the game registered a 50% hike in viewers from over the one last year at the same venue. No, it didn't say how many folks turned the game off before it was over.:( The leading city for viewers watching was Birmingham Alabama.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/miami-florida-game-set-record-ratings-162226796.html

Laker
August 27th, 2019, 09:54 AM
I watched Villanova-Colgate until that became a blowout. Then I watched YSU-Sanford until that became a blowout. Then I watched Florida-Miami until I walked to my neighbors farm to feed the cats. Saw most of the 4th quarter. Watched the first half of the Hawaii-Arizona game but went to bed. Missed out on that last play of the game.

JSUSoutherner
August 27th, 2019, 10:06 AM
I'm curious how much having the Miami-Florida game right after affected the numbers. This is the first year we've had a major P5 game follow the kickoff.

Maybe they'll let Samford keep the kickoff game and quit bothering us about it. Hopefully.

SU DOG
August 27th, 2019, 10:26 AM
I'm curious how much having the Miami-Florida game right after affected the numbers. This is the first year we've had a major P5 game follow the kickoff.

Maybe they'll let Samford keep the kickoff game and quit bothering us about it. Hopefully.

That is a good point, and I'm sure the P5 game had lots to do with it. I seriously doubt Samford will be back playing this game anytime soon.

JSUSoutherner
August 27th, 2019, 10:33 AM
That is a good point, and I'm sure the P5 game had lots to do with it. I seriously doubt Samford will be back playing this game anytime soon.

I've heard rumor it's supposed to be us and UTC again next year but I really hope our AD tells ESPN no.

Even Grass was talking in his presser yesterday about how nice it is to start the season normally.

You guys don't have the issue this year because of the 12 game year but we had 2 bye weeks in our first 2 weeks last season because of the kickoff game. It sucked.

Mocs123
August 27th, 2019, 11:48 AM
I don't think Chattanooga currently has an opening for an OCC game in '20, though things could change if we had the opportunity to play in the game. If indeed we were to play each other in the kickoff, I'd love to do it in Jacksonville rather than Montgomery - though I know that won't happen. It would be a sellout, which is better then the turnout further south.

September 5 - at WKU
September 20 - at James Madison
TBA - UNA at Chattanooga

JSUSoutherner
August 27th, 2019, 11:50 AM
I don't think Chattanooga currently has an opening for an OCC game in '20, though things could change if we had the opportunity to play in the game. If indeed we were to play each other in the kickoff, I'd love to do it in Jacksonville rather than Montgomery - though I know that won't happen. It would be a sellout, which is better then the turnout further south.

September 5 - at WKU
September 20 - at James Madison
TBA - UNA at Chattanooga

Yeah this game will always be in Montgomery because the ESPN contract is with the city.

Heck, I'd rather play in Finley than in Montgomery.

Mocs123
August 27th, 2019, 11:53 AM
Maybe someday you can come back to Finley :)

I think we play at your place again in '21 but it's not been confirmed by our AD. After that I'd love to sign a contract to continue the series home and home at least every few years.

JSUSoutherner
August 27th, 2019, 11:55 AM
Maybe someday you can come back to Finley :)

I think we play at your place again in '21 but it's not been confirmed by our AD. After that I'd love to sign a contract to continue the series home and home at least every few years.

I'm down as long as you guys can get back to 2014-15 caliber.

We play in the OVC, OOC cupcakes are the last thing we need.

TheKingpin28
August 27th, 2019, 02:47 PM
This kickoff was fun when it was the only game in town and it moved around to feature some of the best potential matchups. Now with every team trying to get a game in early, it is no longer what it was.

JSUSoutherner
August 27th, 2019, 03:12 PM
This kickoff was fun when it was the only game in town and it moved around to feature some of the best potential matchups. Now with every team trying to get a game in early, it is no longer what it was.

You can blame the city of Montgomery for that.

TheKingpin28
August 27th, 2019, 03:58 PM
You can blame the city of Montgomery for that.

ESPN is all about the $$$ so I blame both.

caribbeanhen
August 27th, 2019, 05:49 PM
The game was even on at the Food Court at a mall in Puerto Rico But I must admit Out of the hundreds of people there I was the only one watching the game.

clenz
August 27th, 2019, 06:46 PM
Glad TV ratings were up because in person attendance looked about zero

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

JSUSoutherner
August 27th, 2019, 06:57 PM
Glad TV ratings were up because in person attendance looked about zero

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Supposedly the official number is about 12500. But having been there the past 2 years and seeing what I saw Saturday that number is COMPLETELY horse****.

I doubt it was even a third of that.

TheKingpin28
August 27th, 2019, 08:03 PM
Supposedly the official number is about 12500. But having been there the past 2 years and seeing what I saw Saturday that number is COMPLETELY horse****.

I doubt it was even a third of that.

I would have guessed around 3000 max and that includes the players, coaches, staff, officials, and vendors.

ysubigred
August 27th, 2019, 09:34 PM

I doubt it was even a third of that.12.5 k was just the YSU fans. I think it was higher [emoji57]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk