PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Predictions 8-31

JALMOND
August 26th, 2019, 09:07 PM
Opening weekend for football and everyone in the Big Sky plays at some point. Some good games on the docket highlighted by Montana and Northern Arizona meeting up with teams from the Missouri Valley Conference. As it is the start of season, I am at 0-0. Those who don't know, the Big Sky schools will be represented by their scoreboard abbreviations while those teams outside of the conference will be spelled out. For example, WSU will be Weber State, and Washington State will be spelled out. Here is my attempt at perfection right out of the gate. Have at it.

San Diego at CP---The Mustangs welcome the Toreros to their home for a tussle. Quite an ambitious attempt to get a good season off and running, welcoming a good Pioneer League team to your house. Can the Mustangs get this one...San Diego 28, CP 25.

EWU at Washington---The Eagles are hoping for great things this year and they have drawn one of the big hitters of the Pac-12 right off the bat. The Eagles have been giant killers before, but this may be a tall order to fill, even if it turns into a shootout...Washington 41, EWU 31.

UI at Penn State---Fulfilling an obligation from when the Vandals were FBS, they head in to Happy Valley. Can they break through and get a big win at the start of the year? It would be something, but Penn State does not lose these games often...Penn State 35, UI 14.

Western Colorado at ISU---The Bengals just need to find an important cog to fill and they could be dangerous. What a better way than to schedule a lower division school and get a good practice in. At least that is how it should go, anyway...ISU 38, Western Colorado 7.

UM at South Dakota---The Grizzlies make a trip into hostile Missouri Valley country as they meet up with a good South Dakota team. We should know early on if they are trending up or down. This will be a good win for them...UM 29, South Dakota 27.

MSU at Texas Tech---The Bobcats venture into Big 12 country as they step up a level. They have a great team back and only need a good reliable quarterback. The defense is strong, but strong enough to hold off a Big 12 team?...Texas Tech 35, MSU 17.

Missouri State at NAU---New coaching staff, new philosophy but an old face at quarterback to lead the Lumberjacks. Whether that leads to good things this year remains to be seen but for now a good game against the Missouri Valley squad...NAU 38, Missouri State 14.

UNC at San Jose State---Not much is expected out the Bears this season as they look to get back on track. Not much is expected out of their first opponent either. Can the Bears get an upset out of the gate? Can they keep it close?...San Jose State 38, UNC 7.

PSU at Arkansas---The Vikings are game enough to go into hallowed SEC country and try their luck. No Big Sky team has beaten an SEC team. Could this be the time? Actually, the Vikings may just hope to get out of there alive...Arkansas 48, PSU 10.

Southern Oregon at SAC---The Hornets would like to turn the ship around from last season and join those at the top, but that means not stubbing their toes against a lower division foe. Still, they should have enough for a win...SAC 27, Southern Oregon 17.

SUU at Nevada-Las Vegas---The Thunderbirds usually follow up a down year with a good year so this year should be a good one. So they should get this game against a bottom feeder, even if it is from the FBS. Or they shouldn't...Nevada-Las Vegas 38, SUU 10.

UCD at California---Was last year a fluke or do the Aggies have enough to stay at the top? if they do, they should be able to stay with a bottom tier Pac-12 school. Especially if that school is looking forward to Washington...California 27, UCD 22.

WSU at San Diego State---Are the Wildcats legit enough to stay near the top of the standings? Can they throw a bit of a scare into a good Mountain West team? They can win this game, but it will be a tough one...San Diego State 31, WSU 14.

bonarae
August 26th, 2019, 09:34 PM
Toreros - CP has fallen off the radar literally since the Yale loss at home. And that was 6 seasons ago!
Seattle Huskies
Nittany Lions
ISU orange
Griz
Texas Tech
NAU
SJSU
Arkansas
Sacramento State
UNLV
UC Davis - Sorry, Cal will be scalped. Who will UC Davis replace besides Doss to counter my predictions?
Aztecs

Iridebikes
August 27th, 2019, 07:59 AM
Agree with JALMOND on every game except for Cal Poly. The Griz and NAU are the only teams playing FCS. Everyone else is either stepping up or down.

Home field advantage allows Cal Poly to defeat San Diego.
Washington over EWU. This has the chance to be an entertaining game.
Penn State will beat Idaho. I think this one could get real ugly. Maybe 5 touchdown win for Penn State.4
Idaho State beat Western Colorado.
Montana beats South Dakota. Should be a good game.
Montana State will get beat by Texas Tech. Tough game for the new Bobcat QB to get his first start.
NAU never fails to disappoint. However I'll step out on a limb and say that they'll win this one. 7,000 feet and Missouri needing to travel to Flagstaff is the advantage.
San Jose State is bad but will beat UNC
Arkansas over Portland State
Sac State beats Southern Oregon. Should be an easy first win for the new coach.
UNLV defeats Southern Utah
Cal will beat UC Davis but this should be a competitive game.
San Diego State beats Weber. This should also be a competitive game.

EdubAlum
August 27th, 2019, 09:03 AM
Opening weekend for football and everyone in the Big Sky plays at some point. Some good games on the docket highlighted by Montana and Northern Arizona meeting up with teams from the Missouri Valley Conference. As it is the start of season, I am at 0-0. Those who don't know, the Big Sky schools will be represented by their scoreboard abbreviations while those teams outside of the conference will be spelled out. For example, WSU will be Weber State, and Washington State will be spelled out. Here is my attempt at perfection right out of the gate. Have at it.

San Diego at CP---The Mustangs welcome the Toreros to their home for a tussle. Quite an ambitious attempt to get a good season off and running, welcoming a good Pioneer League team to your house. Can the Mustangs get this one...San Diego 28, CP 25.

EWU at Washington---The Eagles are hoping for great things this year and they have drawn one of the big hitters of the Pac-12 right off the bat. The Eagles have been giant killers before, but this may be a tall order to fill, even if it turns into a shootout...Washington 41, EWU 31.

UI at Penn State---Fulfilling an obligation from when the Vandals were FBS, they head in to Happy Valley. Can they break through and get a big win at the start of the year? It would be something, but Penn State does not lose these games often...Penn State 35, UI 14.

Western Colorado at ISU---The Bengals just need to find an important cog to fill and they could be dangerous. What a better way than to schedule a lower division school and get a good practice in. At least that is how it should go, anyway...ISU 38, Western Colorado 7.

UM at South Dakota---The Grizzlies make a trip into hostile Missouri Valley country as they meet up with a good South Dakota team. We should know early on if they are trending up or down. This will be a good win for them...UM 29, South Dakota 27.

MSU at Texas Tech---The Bobcats venture into Big 12 country as they step up a level. They have a great team back and only need a good reliable quarterback. The defense is strong, but strong enough to hold off a Big 12 team?...Texas Tech 35, MSU 17.

Missouri State at NAU---New coaching staff, new philosophy but an old face at quarterback to lead the Lumberjacks. Whether that leads to good things this year remains to be seen but for now a good game against the Missouri Valley squad...NAU 38, Missouri State 14.

UNC at San Jose State---Not much is expected out the Bears this season as they look to get back on track. Not much is expected out of their first opponent either. Can the Bears get an upset out of the gate? Can they keep it close?...San Jose State 38, UNC 7.

PSU at Arkansas---The Vikings are game enough to go into hallowed SEC country and try their luck. No Big Sky team has beaten an SEC team. Could this be the time? Actually, the Vikings may just hope to get out of there alive...Arkansas 48, PSU 10.

Southern Oregon at SAC---The Hornets would like to turn the ship around from last season and join those at the top, but that means not stubbing their toes against a lower division foe. Still, they should have enough for a win...SAC 27, Southern Oregon 17.

SUU at Nevada-Las Vegas---The Thunderbirds usually follow up a down year with a good year so this year should be a good one. So they should get this game against a bottom feeder, even if it is from the FBS. Or they shouldn't...Nevada-Las Vegas 38, SUU 10.

UCD at California---Was last year a fluke or do the Aggies have enough to stay at the top? if they do, they should be able to stay with a bottom tier Pac-12 school. Especially if that school is looking forward to Washington...California 27, UCD 22.

WSU at San Diego State---Are the Wildcats legit enough to stay near the top of the standings? Can they throw a bit of a scare into a good Mountain West team? They can win this game, but it will be a tough one...San Diego State 31, WSU 14.

Good analysis. I expect the margins of victory will be slightly larger across the board, including UW over EWU.

wapiti
August 27th, 2019, 09:36 AM
San Diego 12 at CP 28 ---I figure that CP is making strides at being relevant again and will finish in the top half of the Big Sky.

EWU 20 at Washington 42---EWU is good, but not UW good

UI 13 at Penn State 48---Penn State gets a good warm up game for starters and 2nd strings get some playing time

Western Colorado 6 at ISU 38---ISU gets a good warm up game.

UM 27 at South Dakota 24---One of the better match-ups in all of FCS this weekend. This is a tough one to call. I will go with my Big Sky glasses and figure UM will overcome the home field advantage

MSU 25 at Texas Tech 45---MSU may keep a close for a quarter, but that is about it.

Missouri State 24 at NAU 28---Home field advantage wins this game.

UNC 13 at San Jose State 52--- Da Bears are not expected to do well this year and this is a FBS game

PSU 17 at Arkansas 48 ---One site has this as a possible upset game, but Arkansas is a SEC team. PSU is improving, as evident by last year's win in Missoula, but not enough to take down this SEC team.

Southern Oregon 12 at SAC 42---Sac State should get the win here and it should not be close.

SUU 27 at Nevada-Las Vegas 35---It is a Thunderbird rebound year. UNLV is a weaker FBS squad, so this game is a possible upset, but until SUU proves it I go with the home team.

UCD 32 at California 38---California is a traditionally decent FBS team. UCD was a good team last year and has a many returning starters. So there is a possible upset if California has a down year.

WSU 28 at San Diego State 26---Of the top teams in the Big Sky I see Weber as most likely to take a tumble, but then again they may not either. The Aztecs were a middle of the road MW team last year. So this game is a possible upset. I feel as though I should have at least one upset pick.

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 27th, 2019, 12:51 PM
Cal Polo
Washington BIG
Penn St
ISU
South Dakota by 10+
Texas Tech by 35+
NAU
San Jose St
Arkansas
Suck St
Southern Utah
UCD by 9
San Diego St

Screamin_Eagle174
August 27th, 2019, 02:32 PM
San Diego 30 at CP 24

EWU 42 at Washington 49

UI 10 at Penn State 34

Western Colorado 14 at ISU 42

UM 35 at South Dakota 29

MSU 20 at Texas Tech 42

Missouri State 28 at NAU 35

UNC 7 at San Jose State 45

PSU 13 at Arkansas 55

Southern Oregon 17 at SAC 41

SUU 31 at Nevada-Las Vegas 28

UCD 27 at California 35

WSU 21 at San Diego State 24

JALMOND
August 27th, 2019, 04:40 PM
The Griz and NAU are the only teams playing FCS.

Cal Poly is playing FCS. Non-scholly FCS, but still FCS.

Iridebikes
August 27th, 2019, 09:46 PM
Cal Poly is playing FCS. Non-scholly FCS, but still FCS.
Yep. you're right.

mvemjsunpx
August 28th, 2019, 11:19 PM
Thursday

Misery St. 24-38 NAU — The Big Sky notches their first MVFC win—there probably won't be many more

NoCo 17-38 SJSU — The Big Sky's worst takes on the Mountain West's worst

Saturday

EWU 21-48 UDub — Will this be EWU's only loss of the regular season?

Portland St. 17-42 Arkansaw — Oddsshark.com picked the Viks to win here… come on, Arkansas isn't that bad

San Diego 24-38 Cal Poly — The Toreros haven't fared well against the Big Sky in the regular season

Davis 26-34 Cal — This is winnable for the Aggies, but Cal's defense is really good

Sore-egon 21-45 Sac State — Oddly the only non-DI game this week

Idalol 10-63 Penn St. — 2019 will begin the exact same way 2018 ended for the Vandals

Suutah 27-42 UNLV — The T-Birds didn't even have a DC last year, so it couldn't possibly get worse… right?

Weber 13-27 San Diego St. — Sac actually put a scare into the Aztecs last year

Montana 37-34 SoDak — How many eGriz weirdos will pick UM to upset Oregon after this? xdrunkyx

Montana St. 27-44 Texas Tech — Will Matt Wells try to get fired so he can coach an NFL team, too? ;)

Drake 14-38 NoDak — Drake did nearly beat UND in 2015, but I don't think this one will be that close

mvemjsunpx
August 28th, 2019, 11:21 PM
Oh, and the ISU/Western Colorado game isn't until next week.

JALMOND
August 29th, 2019, 01:27 AM
Oh, and the ISU/Western Colorado game isn't until next week.

My fault. xembarrassedx

But it is on a Thursday next week. :D

jayhawkdaddy
August 29th, 2019, 03:16 PM
Big Sky Predictions 8-31
Cal Poly
Washington
Penn State
ISU
South Dakota
Texas Tech
NAU
San Jose State
Arkansas
Sacramento State
UNLV
California
San Diego State

SUPharmacist
August 29th, 2019, 07:17 PM
Cal Poly
Washington
Penn State
Idaho State
Montana
Texas Tech
Northern Arizona
San Jose State
Arkansas
Sacramento State
UNLV
California
San Diego State

JALMOND
September 1st, 2019, 01:29 AM

11-1 to start, although I should give myself a bad mark for putting the Western Colorado/ISU game a week early. The margins were off a bit as well, but I'll take 11-1.

wapiti
September 1st, 2019, 01:50 PM
San Diego 12 at CP 28 ---I figure that CP is making strides at being relevant again and will finish in the top half of the Big Sky.

EWU 20 at Washington 42---EWU is good, but not UW good

UI 13 at Penn State 48---Penn State gets a good warm up game for starters and 2nd strings get some playing time

Western Colorado 6 at ISU 38---ISU gets a good warm up game.

UM 27 at South Dakota 24---One of the better match-ups in all of FCS this weekend. This is a tough one to call. I will go with my Big Sky glasses and figure UM will overcome the home field advantage

MSU 25 at Texas Tech 45---MSU may keep a close for a quarter, but that is about it.

Missouri State 24 at NAU 28---Home field advantage wins this game.

UNC 13 at San Jose State 52--- Da Bears are not expected to do well this year and this is a FBS game

PSU 17 at Arkansas 48 ---One site has this as a possible upset game, but Arkansas is a SEC team. PSU is improving, as evident by last year's win in Missoula, but not enough to take down this SEC team.

Southern Oregon 12 at SAC 42---Sac State should get the win here and it should not be close.

SUU 27 at Nevada-Las Vegas 35---It is a Thunderbird rebound year. UNLV is a weaker FBS squad, so this game is a possible upset, but until SUU proves it I go with the home team.

UCD 32 at California 38---California is a traditionally decent FBS team. UCD was a good team last year and has a many returning starters. So there is a possible upset if California has a down year.

WSU 28 at San Diego State 26---Of the top teams in the Big Sky I see Weber as most likely to take a tumble, but then again they may not either. The Aztecs were a middle of the road MW team last year. So this game is a possible upset. I feel as though I should have at least one upset pick.

I too was 11-1 I missed on my upset of Weber over San Diego State, but they nearly did do it. Do I get partial credit for being close on my upset pick? NOT!!