PDA

View Full Version : Robert Morris Releases Official Schedule

rmutv
May 1st, 2007, 01:55 PM
No changes from the tenative schedule that has long been up on AGS. Just good to see an official announcement from the athletic department:

http://www.rmucolonials.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=59580&SPID=6527&DB_OEM_ID=13900&KEY=&Q_SEASON=2007

appfan2008
May 1st, 2007, 01:57 PM
damn i dont see asu on there...

nice schedule by the way...

GannonFan
May 1st, 2007, 02:08 PM
Decent schedule. xthumbsupx

rmutv
May 1st, 2007, 03:39 PM
damn i dont see asu on there...

nice schedule by the way...

I don't think RMU is quite ready for the monster that is App. State.

I think Dayton stays on the schedule from here on out as a non-conference rivalry, especially with Duquesne coming into the NEC.

That would leave three non-conference slots open in an 11 game schedule, which will probably be the norm now that the NEC is back to scheduling eight conference games.

The Morehead State and VMI series' are home-and-home. Maybe another home-and-home can be signed next year with someone from the CAA or Patriot League.

I think the goal within the next five to seven years would be to get premier regional competition like Youngstown State.

Seawolf97
May 1st, 2007, 06:40 PM
Good schedule and good luck in 2007!

seahawkfan2007
May 1st, 2007, 09:38 PM
Nice schedule. An 11th game would make it better.

BobbyMo
May 1st, 2007, 10:13 PM
I wish Walton would support the 11th game, but he does not. I am just happy that it is all FCS, no lower level teams. Should be an interesting year for the Colonials.

rmutv
May 1st, 2007, 10:27 PM
I wish Walton would support the 11th game, but he does not. I am just happy that it is all FCS, no lower level teams. Should be an interesting year for the Colonials.

Apparently, the 11th game should be on next year's schedule.

Walton really wanted to have a 10 gamer because of the reduced conference game, as well as the fact that there is a stretch where Robert Morris is on the road for three straight games. Walton wanted another bye week in there to give his team a chance to recuperate, especially considering that the games are against the "Big Three" of the NEC: CCSU, Monmouth, and Albany.

Fresno St. Alum
May 1st, 2007, 11:02 PM
I think it e should be manditory for an FCS school to play 11 games That goes for the Ivy too. If you're not gonna be in the playoffs (IVY) then at least play 11

rmutv
May 1st, 2007, 11:13 PM
I think it e should be manditory for an FCS school to play 11 games That goes for the Ivy too. If you're not gonna be in the playoffs (IVY) then at least play 11

What if that mandate forced a FCS team to schedule a non-FCS/FBS school? Would you still support such a rule?

More than likely, a requirement like that would force Robert Morris to try and schedule a D-3 school at home, as the team certainly would not want to travel on any of its open dates.

I know Robert Morris officials would much rather have a ten-game all FCS schedule.

Fresno St. Alum
May 1st, 2007, 11:19 PM
Yes, I'd hope you guys could get a PSAC school to play you from D-II. I don't think that the NCAA would make a mandate that you couldn't play another school from the FCS

rmutv
May 1st, 2007, 11:30 PM
Yes, I'd hope you guys could get a PSAC school to play you from D-II. I don't think that the NCAA would make a mandate that you couldn't play another school from the FCS

But then you have a weaker schedule. Robert Morris has been trying to upgrade their program over the past few years so that non-Division I schools DON'T appear on their schedule anymore.

The ten-game schedule really appears to be a case of Joe Walton winning out for one year over the athletic department. I don't want to guarantee it, but I'm very confident RMU will be back to an 11-game schedule next year.

The Ivies are another issue. xlolx

BobbyMo
May 1st, 2007, 11:31 PM
There are a few PSAC teams near that would work well. But as RMUTV said, I think the school is behind (FINALLY) playing all FCS schools. And to be 100% honest, most of the local PSAC schools would be very very tough games to win. IUP, Cal, Slippery Rock, Edinboro are all good teams. Clairon is really the only "local" PSAC team I would feel very confident in beating.

To me, this sched shows a big step forward. Although VMI and Morehead are not FCS powers, they are FCS and I would much rather RMU play them than Rowan, Buff State, etc.

Is it a great sched? No, but it is probably the best RMU/RMC has ever had. I am really happy to see them moving in this direction.

Fresno St. Alum
May 1st, 2007, 11:41 PM
You guys do have a good schedule, but I think you could get an 11th FCS game. How bout Valpo they don't have many FCS games. I said the PSAC because those would be tough games. Don't knock Rowan they are near the top of D-III every year.

rmutv
May 1st, 2007, 11:51 PM
You guys do have a good schedule, but I think you could get an 11th FCS game. How bout Valpo they don't have many FCS games. I said the PSAC because those would be tough games. Don't knock Rowan they are near the top of D-III every year.

Not knocking Rowan, because they actually beat RMU two years ago, but the university wants to move away from D-II/D-III's.

As far as Valpo...could play the 17th, but who knows. Maybe the two schools tried to work things out and Valpo didn't want to travel. It would have had to be a home game for RMU.

Maybe Walton refused to budge. xlolx

BobbyMo
May 1st, 2007, 11:53 PM
No knock, I know they beat us a year ago. We beat them pretty easily this year, but its the ole damned if you do, damned if you dont with D3. I am a fan of D3 football, and watch at least a couple games a year, but that does not change the fact that I hope RMU does not play them.

yeah, the PSAC games would be really tough. I understand why UD plays West Chester with them being local and i think they have played them many times. RMU football is fairly new and I do not think we ever played any of the local PSACs and there is no rivalry there. As I said before, I would rather they keep this all FCS plan going.

I know back when it was RMC they played Valpo, in the late 90's. I really wish they could have kept playing SBU, at least this year. Other than them, LaSalle would have been nice or really any of the MAAC schools.

RMUTV probably knows more than I do with regards to schedules, but I am about 99% sure we are not going to be adding anymore games for this year.

BobbyMo
May 1st, 2007, 11:54 PM
LOL,
The RMU guys are tag-teaming it tonight :)

Fresno St. Alum
May 1st, 2007, 11:55 PM
On the D-II board there are always rumors about IUP going D-I. Their fans already think they are. You can play them, I'll count it as D-I enoughxthumbsupx

BobbyMo
May 1st, 2007, 11:57 PM
I heard "rumors" that Cal(PA) wanted to step up to D1, but I dont know if it was anything other just rumors.

Fresno St. Alum
May 2nd, 2007, 12:02 AM
I haven't heard anything about California(PA) but I the Indiana(PA) rumor is so popular that Brandon the head of the D-II board deleted all the other threads and posted "the only rumors of IUP moving to D-I" thread.

DetroitFlyer
May 2nd, 2007, 07:11 AM
How about the rumor of both schools attending Patty V's fantasy, non-scholarship conference this summer? It could be that one or both would go non-scholly, at least to start, and rebuild the MAAC....

andy7171
May 2nd, 2007, 07:28 AM
I dont know much about Cal(PA) but Towson used to mix it up with IUP alot back when TSU was D.II and when we made the jump up to I-AA. They are a damned fine football team. I don't see them going non scholarship. If they move up, I see them jumping in full bore.

aceinthehole
May 2nd, 2007, 08:56 AM
Doesn't IUP and most of the PSAC teams currently offer more FB schollys than MAAC programs? Right now, I'd say any PSAC team would be the hands down favorite of St. Peters, Iona, and LaSalla.

If they (IUP, et al) can't bring ALL their sports to the D-I level, this is a non-starter. So again, why would non-scholarship football in the MAAC be appealing to them?

(BTW - A good schedule for RMU. Its nice to see VMI on the schedule, especially in a home/home. Good luck this year.)

Fresno St. Alum
May 2nd, 2007, 03:48 PM
The PSAC has 24 schollys as far as I know. The max for D-II is 36. I don't like any team that moves to D-I and drops schollys to do it.