PDA

View Full Version : 2019-08/31 AGS GOTW Week 1

Preferred Walk-On
August 26th, 2019, 10:40 AM
This week, almost half of the AGS Top 25 teams (including 4 of the top 5 teams) take on FBS opponents, and there is only one game where both teams are ranked in the AGS Top 25. That said, there are some interesting matchups to consider.

#39 Western Illinois (MVFC) @ North Alabama (Big South) - Discussion about whether North Alabama should be eligible for AGS poll consideration could be stoked with a win over the Leathernecks. A loss, and the discussion is likely put even further to rest.

#13 Towson (CAA) @ The Citadel (SoCon) - The Bulldogs seemed to give everyone a pretty good game last year. Towson was up-and-coming until falling flat in the playoffs. This is a rematch from last year, which the Tigers won 44-27.

Charleston Southern (Big South) @ #17 Furman (SoCon) - Furman finished strong last season, but could not overcome their early season setbacks. The Paladins are looking to fix that.

#25 Montana (Big Sky) @ South Dakota (MVFC) - Upper-middle Big Sky (predicted) @ Middle MVFC (predicted). The Grizzlies need this win to prove they belong in the AGS Top 25; the Coyotes are looking to start their season on a positive note at home.

#18 Elon (CAA) @ #24 North Carolina A&T (MEAC) - Two ranked teams with question marks coming into the season. Can the Phoenix compete in the CAA this year under a new head coach, but with a returning QB? Can the Aggies continue their winning ways with key losses at QB and RB? Would have been a nice FCS Kickoff Weekend game.

Southern (SWAC) @ McNeese State (Southland) - The Jaguars are predicted to win the SWAC-West this year, and their only FCS losses last year were twice to Alcorn State (who is getting at least a few votes in the AGS poll). By all indications on AGS, the Cowboys are a bit of a mystery. This game is a nice gauge for both teams.

gofurman
August 26th, 2019, 10:49 AM
"Charleston Southern (SoCon) @ #17 Furman (SoCon) - Furman finished strong last season, but could not overcome their early season setbacks. The Paladins are looking to fix that and must do so against a conference opponent early."

Preferred, Your write up is a good one but there is one miss... Just fyi - charleston Southern is not a conference opponent. Chars Southern is Big South. Furman is SoCon

no problem. Though you you might want to change the CSU conference affiliation in the voting part where it lists them as a SoCon team... just a note

other than that, I try to be objective, huge Furman fan but I think the two ranked opponents (NC A&T) is a 'better' game. at least I hope so.. LOL

Preferred Walk-On
August 26th, 2019, 12:10 PM
"Charleston Southern (SoCon) @ #17 Furman (SoCon) - Furman finished strong last season, but could not overcome their early season setbacks. The Paladins are looking to fix that and must do so against a conference opponent early."

Preferred, Your write up is a good one but there is one miss... Just fyi - charleston Southern is not a conference opponent. Chars Southern is Big South. Furman is SoCon

no problem. Though you you might want to change the CSU conference affiliation in the voting part where it lists them as a SoCon team... just a note

other than that, I try to be objective, huge Furman fan but I think the two ranked opponents (NC A&T) is a 'better' game. at least I hope so.. LOL

My bad, thanks.

Preferred Walk-On
August 26th, 2019, 12:19 PM
Could not figure out how to change text in the poll, so this week, Charleston Southern will be playing as a SoCon representative...just for this week. xembarrassedx xoopsx

BEAR
August 26th, 2019, 12:27 PM
JSU at SLU

Preferred Walk-On
August 26th, 2019, 12:37 PM
JSU at SLU

Appreciate the choice for "Other". I will definitely keep an eye on this one.

TheValleyRaider
August 26th, 2019, 06:00 PM
Give me ranked vs ranked. Good be a good test to see how A&T compares with a CAA team (pending Elon's performance, of course).

Honorable mention to Montana-South Dakota, which could be a nice piece of someone's playoff resume come November.

JSUSoutherner
August 26th, 2019, 06:04 PM
JSU at SLU

Y tho.

Of our first four games, SLU is arguably our least interesting.

EWU is a lock for GOTW and UTC and UNA are both rivalry games.

TheKingpin28
August 26th, 2019, 06:16 PM
Y tho.

Towson vs Maine
Samford vs Wofford
Montana St vs WIU
NDSU vs Delaware
ACU vs UCA (sleeper pick for the week)

Each one of these has solid potential for GoTW

JSUSoutherner
August 26th, 2019, 06:24 PM
Towson vs Maine
Samford vs Wofford
Montana St vs WIU
NDSU vs Delaware

Towson and Maine: solid

Samford vs Wofford: Samford is bad

MSU vs WIU: the team that got beat by Incarnate Word and will be coming off a loss to SEMO? Pass.

NDSU at Delaware: complete slaughter, but in Newark this time.

ACU vs UCA: U SRS?

TheKingpin28
August 26th, 2019, 06:35 PM

MSU vs WIU: the team that got beat by Incarnate Word and will be coming off a loss to SEMO? Pass.

Samford may be bad, but there will be some points put up and Wofford should be the favorite to win the SoCon again.

A Montana St that has a competent QB is a Top 15 team in the nation and Troy Anderson at RB is nothing to mess with plus depending on where WIU is at going into week 3 will make or break this game.

With NDSU being on the road (something they supposedly never do), they should be favored, but I expect it to be a 10-17pt win.

I was always told ACU was dangerous plus UCA losing their top 2 QBs in about 3 minutes hurt them and they should be a top 15 team. (Again, hence why I said sleeper pick)

I just put a list of games together to make it clear that your game was not a lock for GoTW.

WestCoastAggie
August 26th, 2019, 06:48 PM
The last time we had a raked team in Aggie Stadium, #5 Coastal Carolina escaped with a win. The Starting QB at the time, Q. Quick, scored the go ahead TD but lost his helmet so he had to leave the game for a play. He was the placeholder at the time so the backup caused the FG to be missed. Coastal turned around and scored the go ahead TD on a kickoff return and won by a point.

Saturday Night will feature a heavyweight fight on the corner of Lindsay and Sullivan.

Preferred Walk-On
August 26th, 2019, 09:52 PM
Towson vs Maine
Samford vs Wofford
Montana St vs WIU
NDSU vs Delaware

I actually have 12 potentials (but only 9 poll choices with an "other") listed for week 3, depending on week 1 and 2 outcomes. All five you listed are on there, as well as Eastern Washington @ Jacksonville State. I agree that EWU @ JSU is not necessarily a lock, but should be a very good matchup.

Catbooster
August 27th, 2019, 03:56 AM

Correction (even though I wouldn't pick this over EWU@JSU as things look now):
MSU did not get beat by Incarnate Word (MSU 35-14) and I doubt they'll be coming off a loss to SEMO

BEAR
August 27th, 2019, 09:08 AM
Y tho.

Of the 6 other choices for game 1 OTW none of those looked too interesting to me. Well, as an SLC fan maybe the McNeese game since they are so secretive. xlolx Plus Strawberry is a tough place to win. Usually a vocal crowd and a disciplined team. Will JSU likely win....yes. That's ok. But I'm looking for the SLC to get some OOC FCS wins to improve our national perception. I think the SLC has improved greatly the past decade (and still has a ways to go) and now I want to see some improvement. Plus I get to see a regional matchup. I will be clicking back and forth with our game at WKU. If we are getting blown out I may just watch your game though with all the choices I may watch several available. ESPN+ is wonderful.

Mocs123
August 27th, 2019, 09:22 AM
I just put a list of games together to make it clear that your game was not a lock for GoTW.

Especially after JSU loses to Chattanooga the week before :) (It can't be too early for some friendly trash talk can it?)

JSUSoutherner
August 27th, 2019, 01:28 PM
Especially after JSU loses to Chattanooga the week before :) (It can't be too early for some friendly trash talk can it?)

You better worry about EIU before you try trash talking big brother

JSUSoutherner
August 27th, 2019, 01:32 PM
Correction (even though I wouldn't pick this over EWU@JSU as things look now):
MSU did not get beat by Incarnate Word (MSU 35-14) and I doubt they'll be coming off a loss to SEMO
You beat Incarnate Word?

Neat.

My bad.

Mocs123
August 27th, 2019, 01:43 PM
You better worry about EIU before you try trash talking big brother

Playing the first game with a new coach and staff always makes me nervous, and playing a team with a new coach and staff also makes me a little nervous, and obviously anything can happen, but we should be the better team on Thursday by at least two scores unless the coaching alone drove EIU into the dirt last year.

You go worry about SLU and We'll worry about EIU. The matchup next week will lose some luster if we're not both 1-0.

JSUSoutherner
August 27th, 2019, 01:50 PM
Playing the first game with a new coach and staff always makes me nervous, and playing a team with a new coach and staff also makes me a little nervous, and obviously anything can happen, but we should be the better team on Thursday by at least two scores unless the coaching alone drove EIU into the dirt last year.

You go worry about SLU and We'll worry about EIU. The matchup next week will lose some luster if we're not both 1-0.

Dameron was a baddddddddd coach.

wcugrad95
August 27th, 2019, 01:52 PM
I voted the ranked on ranked option of Elon @ A&T - the teams are very close to one another in both the rankings and physical proximity. But the game I am most interested in seeing from the list is Towson vs Citadel. The SoCon needs a better showing after the Week 0 game, and Citadel at home with the triple option and a guy at QB they are very high on could make it interesting.

JSUSoutherner
August 27th, 2019, 01:53 PM
I voted the ranked on ranked option of Elon @ A&T - the teams are very close to one another in both the rankings and physical proximity. But the game I am most interested in seeing from the list is Towson vs Citadel. The SoCon needs a better showing after the Week 0 game, and Citadel at home with the triple option and a guy at QB they are very high on could make it interesting.

But do they play defense?

Professor
August 27th, 2019, 03:01 PM
#18 Elon (CAA) @ #24 North Carolina A&T (MEAC)

Can't do better than 2 ranked opponents in a game. Game could have playoff implications as well

JSUSoutherner
August 27th, 2019, 03:12 PM
#18 Elon (CAA) @ #24 North Carolina A&T (MEAC)

Can't do better than 2 ranked opponents in a game. Game could have playoff implications as well

Yeah, for Elon.

Preferred Walk-On
August 27th, 2019, 10:31 PM
Not surprised that the ranked vs. ranked matchup is the clear leader, but I must say that I am a bit surprised by the vote differential between Montana @ South Dakota and the rest of the field. Feel like the allure here is simply Big Sky vs. MVFC, but I do realize that the slate of games is somewhat unremarkable as well. Just wondering if there is something I should be paying extra attention to with this matchup?

MSUBobcat
August 28th, 2019, 12:27 PM
You beat Incarnate Word?

Neat.

My bad.

You beat ETSU by 7 in the first round?

Also neat. xcoffeex