PDA

View Full Version : GSU football team just got better

bobbythekidd
May 1st, 2007, 01:28 PM
By dropping three theives.

Four Georgia Southern football players were arrested Friday night during the Brad Paisley concert after one suspect was caught breaking into a vehicle.

“With the information we have pertaining to Friday night’s incident, Matt Duke, Kevin Van Kirk and Ben Granitz forfeited the privilege to be a part of the Georgia Southern football team,” he (Hatcher) said in a statement released Monday.
“But naturally, we are going to help them become great citizens in their future endeavors,” he said.

http://www.statesboroherald.com/news/article/3485/

citdog
May 1st, 2007, 01:36 PM
By dropping three theives.

http://www.statesboroherald.com/news/article/3485/

new coach....................... same thugs

henfan
May 1st, 2007, 01:38 PM
These type of incidents and worse are happening all over, even in 'clean' programs like GSU. Sadly, there appears to be no end in sight to the numbskullery. Kids pxssing away their futures (and free educations) for no apparent reason. I really don't get it.

appfan2008
May 1st, 2007, 01:40 PM
xsmhx thats too bad... being an atlanta native and having many friends going to southern i can say its not a school for the brightest out there xsmhx

Mountaineer
May 1st, 2007, 01:44 PM
xsmhx thats too bad... being an atlanta native and having many friends going to southern i can say its not a school for the brightest out there xsmhx

xrolleyesx xrolleyesx :( xrolleyesx xsmhx

Sorry..

SoCon48
May 1st, 2007, 01:47 PM

So you're saying that your friends aren't bright?xthumbsupx

AppGuy04
May 1st, 2007, 01:51 PM
Bravo to GSU!

HensRock
May 1st, 2007, 01:51 PM
“With the information we have pertaining to Friday night’s incident, Matt Duke, Kevin Van Kirk and Ben Granitz forfeited the privilege to be a part of the Georgia Southern football team,” he (Hatcher) said in a statement released Monday.
“But naturally, we are going to help them become great citizens in their future endeavors,” he said.

I applaud the coach's position on this matter. If someone had taken a hard line with these kids earlier in life, it may not have come to this. Hopefully they will learn from this and straighten out fast.

forfeited the privilege
I LOVE IT!

bobbythekidd
May 1st, 2007, 01:55 PM
i can say its not a school for the brightest out there
Jerk

Mountaineer
May 1st, 2007, 01:57 PM
Jerk

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

ITEagle
May 1st, 2007, 02:14 PM

actually they came from the recruiting skills of van crapper

Hansel
May 1st, 2007, 02:15 PM
i thought they were bringing back the option :p

MYTAPPY
May 1st, 2007, 02:21 PM
What is the over/under on how long it takes before this thread is sent over to the smack board.:D

phillyAPP
May 1st, 2007, 02:33 PM
Bravo to GSU!

I agree - Way to go Coach Hatcher - and I wish GSU good luck !!!

GSU will get over this and it will be better for their future getting rid of the knuckleheads.xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

GaSouthern
May 1st, 2007, 02:36 PM
Hatcher is a class act!

blueballs
May 1st, 2007, 03:25 PM

...as opposed to Appalachian State???????????????????????????????????????

Nothing against App ( despite your ignorance there are several cool App folks here) but even if it is better than GSU academically the difference is miniscule and doesn't mean a hill of beans when it comes to being successful in the real world.

To make a statement like that reeks of ignorance and a person who is capable of putting something like that in writing and demonstrating that level of ignorance can't be very successful in life.

Best mind your own back yard...

phillyAPP
May 1st, 2007, 03:39 PM
...as opposed to Appalachian State???????????????????????????????????????

Nothing against App ( despite your ignorance there are several cool App folks here) but even if it is better than GSU academically the difference is miniscule and doesn't mean a hill of beans when it comes to being successful in the real world.

I'll compare my W-2 with yours anytime you want and spot you the first $100k.

To make a statement like that reeks of ignorance and a person who is capable of putting something like that in writing and demonstrating that level of ignorance can't be very successful in life.

Best mind your own back yard...

APPfan 2008 doesn't make money yet. He is still in school. And APPfan2008 that was a DUMB post and not needed. It has nothing to do with football !!!!!! xnonox xnonox xnonox xnonox

blueballs
May 1st, 2007, 03:41 PM
i thought they were bringing back the option :p

Classic...:D

ButlerGSU
May 1st, 2007, 03:46 PM

What's that say about App then? The schools are basically identical in terms of academics. Look at the avg SAT, selectivity rating, etc. The two schools are almost identical.

PaladinFan
May 1st, 2007, 03:49 PM

Stupid post. Grow up.

Were these kids freshman recruits? I didn't recognize the names and figured they weren't big role players for the '07 season.

ButlerGSU
May 1st, 2007, 03:54 PM
Stupid post. Grow up.

Were these kids freshman recruits? I didn't recognize the names and figured they weren't big role players for the '07 season.

All freshmen recruited by BVG except one redshirt. None of them have ever played a down for GSU and never will now.

PaladinFan
May 1st, 2007, 03:59 PM
All freshmen recruited by BVG except one redshirt. None of them have ever played a down for GSU and never will now.

Where they from? (if that takes too much time to look up, don't bother with it)

rokamortis
May 1st, 2007, 04:38 PM

The next time ASU athletes make negative news I hope you say the same things about your school.

Mountaineer
May 1st, 2007, 04:39 PM
The next time ASU athletes make negative news I hope you say the same things about your school.

xlolx

He can't help himself.. ;) xrolleyesx

NoCoDanny
May 1st, 2007, 04:47 PM
I like the way the coach worded it "they forfeited the privilege." I agree with putting this on the kids like that instead of the usual bit about it being the coach who has to make the choice on how to discipline. The kids made the choice to not be a part of the program when they behaved in such a manner.

rokamortis
May 1st, 2007, 05:18 PM
Much respect. Hatcher definitely sent a clear message to his team ...

DON'T F--K UP!!!

phillyAPP
May 1st, 2007, 05:23 PM

$H!T - Mortis, he is so young - He needs a mulligan on that posting.

His Bad - xbangx

Can we have a beer and forget the immature posting?

xbeerchugx xbeerchugx

rokamortis
May 1st, 2007, 05:26 PM

I'm here to help shape the minds of our young xeyebrowx :D

bobbythekidd
May 1st, 2007, 05:27 PM

His Bad - xbangx

Can we have a beer and forget the immature posting?

xbeerchugx xbeerchugx
NDSUFREAK10 is 15 or 16, I don't see him talking crap about the quality of the student body at other schools.

Edit: I would like to thank the above posters who have seen the positives of an unfortunate situation. Even more impressive is the support offered by the defending National Champions and hated rivals. Thanks to you.xthumbsupx

phillyAPP
May 1st, 2007, 05:34 PM
I'm here to help shape the minds of our young xeyebrowx :D

Rok - Have you seen some of the pic's from the FCS brothers from NDSU and Montana under their names?

Unless there is a beauty under that costume, I gotta tell you it aint pretty.lol

BigApp
May 1st, 2007, 06:12 PM

'08, it makes no sense to post a statement like that. Completely uncalled for.

T-Dog
May 1st, 2007, 06:18 PM
This is unbelievable...I mean one pushed to do criminal acts after a BRAD PAISLEY concert? What's the world coming to?

BTW, forfeiting their privilege is true in every regard. That's a GREAT way to say it.

Seawolf97
May 1st, 2007, 07:14 PM
The coach handled it well. Any school or any program can have a knuckle head pop up academics has nothing to do with it.

ButlerGSU
May 1st, 2007, 07:17 PM
I want to convey my appreciation to everyone who condemned 08's statements about Georgia Southern as a university.

This is unfortunate but the entire Eagle nation is behind Coach Hatcher’s swift punishment and his willingness to offer these young men help in straightening out their lives.

Mountaineer
May 1st, 2007, 07:18 PM
I want to convey my appreciation to everyone who condemned 08's statements about Georgia Southern as a university.

This is unfortunate but the entire Eagle nation is behind Coach Hatcher’s swift punishment and his willingness to offer these young men help in straightening out their lives.

You got it man. Hate to start policing our own, but sheesh, some stuff is really unnecessary. xthumbsupx xbowx

Laserlips
May 1st, 2007, 07:23 PM
Hopefully the quick way Coach Hatcher responded FIRMLY to this situation will be a wake up call for any of the athletes in the GSU family considering such activity..

I applaud the way the situation was handled, and I'll bet you that somewhere in these young athletes past they have stumbled but been given a pass simply because of their athletic skills....

Hopefully this will be a signal to all of the GSU football players that Coach Hatcher will not tolerate such things, and if you want to play football at GSU under the tuteledge of Coach Chris Hatcher and his Asst. Coaching staff you had better, as ERK was fond of saying: "just do right"..

"Doing right" won't get you in trouble, and to my knowledge no athlete ever lost a scholarship doing right..

JMOFO

J. Pomeroy

Kill'em
May 1st, 2007, 07:55 PM
WTF! You've got to be kidding. I understand Citdog and his ignorance but come on. By the way, Coach Hatcher handled this wonderfully. Remember about throwing stones in glass houses.

BigApp
May 1st, 2007, 07:59 PM
keep reading kill'em, we took care of him...

http://planetsmilies.net/angry-smiley-184.gif

phillyAPP
May 1st, 2007, 08:05 PM
WTF! You've got to be kidding. I understand Citdog and his ignorance but come on. By the way, Coach Hatcher handled this wonderfully. Remember about throwing stones in glass houses.

I hope you've read the whole thread and you can see 08 was chastized by all APP fans -- Nobody wants to hear stories like this from any school --and we have ALL ACKNOWLEDED Coach Hatcher's professional response.

WE ALL APPLAUD GSU for their response.

xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx

Kill'em
May 1st, 2007, 08:12 PM
I appreciate the positive responses from everyone. It is an embarassment to the University when this happens because it is so public. I guess these guys forgot about having to earn the privelege of being an Eagle after spring practice. I hope they learn from this.

CopperCat
May 1st, 2007, 08:43 PM

At least it wasn't the cheerleaders who felt like they had to start some s***.

The Gadfly
May 1st, 2007, 09:21 PM
How does this hurt the team if at all?

Your coach is A1 for doing what he had to do.

There are some couuuuuuuutry MFers down in the 'Boro, but that doesn't make them dumb. xsmhx

The Gadfly
May 1st, 2007, 09:23 PM
At least it wasn't the cheerleaders who felt like they had to start some s***.

I think it was the VMI cheerleaders who beat the crap out of the pound puppies of La Cid. How pitiful that was. . .xwhistlex

Mr. C
May 1st, 2007, 09:27 PM
Glad to see Chris Hatcher do the right thing. That is a great way to establish some leadership in the program. Somehow I don't think we would have seen a similar action from BVG.

chattanoogamocs
May 2nd, 2007, 01:44 AM
I definitely never crack wise on something like this because, sadly, almost no team/school is immune.

It is always good to see a coach take quick, decisive, and proper action.

I like R.A., but Hatcher was who I campaigned for for the Mocs job 5 years ago...this once again proves why I was so high on the guy.

BTW...I was just as impressed with the 2nd line in Hatcher's statement as the first...I like that while they have been thrown off the team, they have not completely turned their backs on them (though some of this is probably because it is in their best interest, APR wise, to make sure they stay on track academically)

“With the information we have pertaining to Friday night’s incident, Matt Duke, Kevin Van Kirk and Ben Granitz forfeited the privilege to be a part of the Georgia Southern football team,” he said in a statement released Monday.

appfan2008
May 2nd, 2007, 07:45 AM
i would like to apologize for this post... it was uncalled for, unecessary and wrong...

i would like to change my meanness towards other schools including gsu and i would like to first ask for gsu fans forgiveness...

i am sorry...

this post was not brought on by anyone i just wanted to do it on my own as i felt bad for what i had said...

i also know that most people on this website dont care for me/dont like my attitude/dont think i care for my school as much as others ect... i do not want to offer excuses but i want to say something for my actions... i am young, immature and stupid... i say things to get under peoples skin and get them going... it obviously has worked to well in certain situations by getting people really mad at me... i am sorry... i love my university, i want people to know i am a good guy and really am a good person in the real world and i would like to change my attitude in the future... this site means so much to me and i dont want to keep making people upset... i am sorry and would once again ask for forgiveness from everyone but most of all the gsu fans i have offended and the asu fans i have embarrased... thank you

Saint3333
May 2nd, 2007, 08:09 AM
What's that say about App then? The schools are basically identical in terms of academics. Look at the avg SAT, selectivity rating, etc. The two schools are almost identical.

The numbers:

Appalachian - Average SAT 1122 (two years ago, I think it close to 1150 now), average GPA 3.73

GSU - Average SAT 1100 (up 110 over last year and making improvements), average GPA 3.12. (I was surprised by this number)

Both schools are improving, but ASU is still more selective.

AppGuy04
May 2nd, 2007, 08:11 AM
who cares, this thread never was and is not about academics, you guys just can't stop smacking at times, its childish

I commend Hatcher for doing what he did, it sends a message that should be headed by the rest of the team and the GSU community

phillyAPP
May 2nd, 2007, 08:12 AM
i would like to apologize for this post... it was uncalled for, unecessary and wrong...

i would like to change my meanness towards other schools including gsu and i would like to first ask for gsu fans forgiveness...

i am sorry...

this post was not brought on by anyone i just wanted to do it on my own as i felt bad for what i had said...

i also know that most people on this website dont care for me/dont like my attitude/dont think i care for my school as much as others ect... i do not want to offer excuses but i want to say something for my actions... i am young, immature and stupid... i say things to get under peoples skin and get them going... it obviously has worked to well in certain situations by getting people really mad at me... i am sorry... i love my university, i want people to know i am a good guy and really am a good person in the real world and i would like to change my attitude in the future... this site means so much to me and i dont want to keep making people upset... i am sorry and would once again ask for forgiveness from everyone but most of all the gsu fans i have offended and the asu fans i have embarrased... thank you

You are being a man. Its takes a man to say what you just said. I appreciate the words and intention. I hope everyone else see's your remorse and we can all move on. I give you all the credit for standing up.
Now that is a true APP fan.

xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx

Eaglesrus
May 2nd, 2007, 09:04 AM

i am sorry...

08, I'm a GSU fan who will accept your apology and move on. I'm thinking that every one of us has said and written things that we really wish we hadn't at times, and I assume you will think about the appropriateness a second or two longer before you say something "to get under peoples skin" in the future.

appfan2008
May 2nd, 2007, 09:11 AM
thank you phillyapp and eaglesrus i really do mean what i said and eagle i will think twice before i say such things!

OL FU
May 2nd, 2007, 09:28 AM

i am sorry...

kudos to you. Occasionally we all type before we thinkxnodx

Laserlips
May 2nd, 2007, 10:17 AM

i am sorry...

FWIW:

A sincere apology always works for me. I'm no virgin when it comes to inserting my foot in my mouth, so don't feel like the "Lone Ranger"..

As a GSU fan I do appreciate, and for me personally, accept your apology, and as far as I'm concerned it's ancient history and we can let it go.

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

AppGuy04
May 2nd, 2007, 10:41 AM
FWIW:

A sincere apology always works for me. I'm no virgin when it comes to inserting my foot in my mouth, so don't feel like the "Lone Ranger"..

As a GSU fan I do appreciate, and for me personally, accept your apology, and as far as I'm concerned it's ancient history and we can let it go.

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

I think everyone on this site has opened mouth and inserted foot atleast once, if not many more

Jiggs
May 2nd, 2007, 10:57 AM
Still some other problems, though, sounds like fewer scholarships this year? Am I reading that right?

http://www.savannahnow.com/node/276461

AppGuy04
May 2nd, 2007, 10:59 AM
Still some other problems, though, sounds like fewer scholarships this year? Am I reading that right?

looks like they lose 6 scholarships

blueballs
May 2nd, 2007, 11:17 AM
looks like they lose 6 scholarships

...for the second consecutive year.

AppGuy04
May 2nd, 2007, 11:25 AM
...for the second consecutive year.

I think Hatcher can turn that around, but its an average, so the past will hurt for a couple more years

Laserlips
May 2nd, 2007, 11:30 AM
i do not want to offer excuses but i want to say something for my actions... i am young, immature and stupid...

FWIW:

At least you are "young, immature and stupid".. Could be worse.. You could be OLD, immature and stupid.. :D

Wait! That sounds like me!

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

gsugt1
May 2nd, 2007, 11:50 AM

Yes we did but our APR for the past year was much better and met NCAA requirements. When averaging the two previous years though we are still losing scholarships.

james_lawfirm
May 2nd, 2007, 11:56 AM
Any one know how check any other school's APR?

CID1990
May 2nd, 2007, 12:05 PM

i am sorry...

Come on, you've been reading your "Chicken Soup for the Soul" book again, haven't you, Appfan?

SoCon48
May 2nd, 2007, 12:31 PM

Oh we've had it in the past and got chastised by every other schools' fans. It's not a new thing on this board or any other.

SoCon48
May 2nd, 2007, 12:33 PM

i am sorry...

Does this mean you won't have to be on Al Sharpton's radio show?:)

AppGuy04
May 2nd, 2007, 12:40 PM

this would require school records and i doubt anyone other than coaches and admin have access to it

hell, my mother couldn't even check my grades if she wanted to

GtFllsGriz
May 2nd, 2007, 01:52 PM
Congrats to GSU on selecting what appears to be a top notch coach and molder of young men. His statement of their release from the team is one of the cleverst and well said statements I have ever heard from a coach. It is unfortunate that it happened but save for the grace of God go we. No school has a monopoly on kids that will make bad decisions.

GSU will be stronger for it and all schools should recognize how it was handled and step up to the plate when their turn comes!

Jiggs
May 2nd, 2007, 01:55 PM
Check these out

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/!ut/p/kcxml/04_Sj9SPykssy0xPLMnMz0vM0Y_QjzKLN4g3NPUGSYGYxqb6kW hCjhgihqYeCDFfj_zcVH1v_QD9gtzQ0IhyR0UAA4M5xQ!!/delta/base64xml/L3dJdyEvUUd3QndNQSEvNElVRS82XzBfTFU!?CONTENT_URL=h ttp://www2.ncaa.org/portal/academics_and_athletes/education_and_research/academic_reform/apr/2005-06/school_data.html

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/!ut/p/kcxml/04_Sj9SPykssy0xPLMnMz0vM0Y_QjzKLN4j3CQXJgFjGpvqRqC KO6AKGph4QIUNTb31fj_zcVH1v_QD9gtzQ0IhyR0UA8vsL0A!!/delta/base64xml/L3dJdyEvUUd3QndNQSEvNElVRS82XzBfTFU!?CONTENT_URL=h ttp://www2.ncaa.org/portal/academics_and_athletes/education_and_research/academic_reform/apr/2005-06/teams_subject_to_penalties.html

Jiggs
May 2nd, 2007, 01:57 PM

try www.ncaa.org

chattanoogamocs
May 2nd, 2007, 02:10 PM
this would require school records and i doubt anyone other than coaches and admin have access to it

hell, my mother couldn't even check my grades if she wanted to

You are talking about individual grades, which, of course, are private.

APR is not private...they release a list on the NCAA website each year (to answer the original question).

Like GSU, Chattanooga will also get the full penalty for a 2nd consecutive year from the APR (though they, like GSU, have improved). Once you get stung by this...it takes a couple of years to get off it.

You can see how serious it is taken in the Mocs newest recruiting class...we have 5 or 6 guys that are all from academically minded private schools in the region (still good players...but equally sound academically). The sad thing is, you have have 50 guys be perfectly fine academically...and have 6-10 guys not pull their weight and blow it for the whole team.

The biggest problem with APR are the guys that drop out or get kicked off (or transfer)...the onus is now on the original school to make sure the stay on track academically before they leave (which is why I mentioned in the my early post about Hatcher not turning his back completely on these guys...he can't afford to have them drop out or flunk out).

All in all though, I like the rule because it forces schools to treat the athletes like students again...and makes them really work to graduated these kids as opposed to "just keeping them eligible".

Here is a link to the Times-Free Press from yesterday concerning APR and the Mocs...

UC to get maximum APR hit again (T-FP)
http://p197.ezboard.com/UTC-football-to-get-maximum-APR-hit-again-TFP/fmoctalkfrm3.showMessage?topicID=3878.topic

CopperCat
May 2nd, 2007, 02:56 PM
Oh we've had it in the past and got chastised by every other schools' fans. It's not a new thing on this board or any other.
Except that everyone else gets grilled by the ASU fans even moreso. I should know.xrolleyesx xrotatehx

PaladinFan
May 2nd, 2007, 02:59 PM
Can't pin the APR on Van Gorder. About the only thing that he improved with GSU football.

AppGuy04
May 2nd, 2007, 03:00 PM
You are talking about individual grades, which, of course, are private.

APR is not private...they release a list on the NCAA website each year (to answer the original question).

Like GSU, Chattanooga will also get the full penalty for a 2nd consecutive year from the APR (though they, like GSU, have improved). Once you get stung by this...it takes a couple of years to get off it.

You can see how serious it is taken in the Mocs newest recruiting class...we have 5 or 6 guys that are all from academically minded private schools in the region (still good players...but equally sound academically). The sad thing is, you have have 50 guys be perfectly fine academically...and have 6-10 guys not pull their weight and blow it for the whole team.

The biggest problem with APR are the guys that drop out or get kicked off (or transfer)...the onus is now on the original school to make sure the stay on track academically before they leave (which is why I mentioned in the my early post about Hatcher not turning his back completely on these guys...he can't afford to have them drop out or flunk out).

All in all though, I like the rule because it forces schools to treat the athletes like students again...and makes them really work to graduated these kids as opposed to "just keeping them eligible".

Here is a link to the Times-Free Press from yesterday concerning APR and the Mocs...

UC to get maximum APR hit again (T-FP)
http://p197.ezboard.com/UTC-football-to-get-maximum-APR-hit-again-TFP/fmoctalkfrm3.showMessage?topicID=3878.topic

thanks Chat!

Laserlips
May 2nd, 2007, 03:38 PM
Can't pin the APR on Van Gorder. About the only thing that he improved with GSU football.

Well, maybe not, logically...

But I think I'll blame him anyway. :D

J. Pomeroy

AppGuy04
May 2nd, 2007, 04:24 PM
Well, maybe not, logically...

But I think I'll blame him anyway. :D

J. Pomeroy

no surprisexrolleyesx

you guys need someone to blame

blukeys
May 2nd, 2007, 04:48 PM
as mentioned before these things are happenning more often throughout college and High school sports. I'm pleased the GSU coaching staff is taking the appropriate hard line and dealing with this forthrightly. xthumbsupx

Kill'em
May 2nd, 2007, 07:34 PM

i am sorry...

Don't worry about it. The purpose of this forum is to express one's self. Don't feel you need to be P.C. about every post you make, from now on. We all love our schools and when it is attacked, verbally, well, anyone will get defensive. It shows pride. Keep doing what you are doing. xpeacex

bobbythekidd
May 2nd, 2007, 07:35 PM
I blame him for it. That and the extinction of the dinosaurs, Global Warming, dust, gas prices, bugs, people that drive slow in the fast lane, spinach, and anything thing else I just don't like.

P.S. Appfan08, it's all better. Sorry for calling you a jerk.xnodx

Kill'em
May 2nd, 2007, 07:46 PM
This is true.

SoCon48
May 2nd, 2007, 09:01 PM
I blame him for it. That and the extinction of the dinosaurs, Global Warming, dust, gas prices, bugs, people that drive slow in the fast lane, spinach, and anything thing else I just don't like.

P.S. Appfan08, it's all better. Sorry for calling you a jerk.xnodx

Well, hell, it's about time someone took a little of the heat off Bush.

SoCon48
May 2nd, 2007, 09:03 PM
Except that everyone else gets grilled by the ASU fans even moreso. I should know.xrolleyesx xrotatehx

Only the ones who deserve it. And you should know. :D

SoCon48
May 2nd, 2007, 09:05 PM
as mentioned before these things are happenning more often throughout college and High school sports. I'm pleased the GSU coaching staff is taking the appropriate hard line and dealing with this forthrightly. xthumbsupx

It only takes a few bad eggs, the coach running off some players, etc to make a team's APR flop. Could happen to most any school. What puzzled me was the fact that all of GSU's sports are low on the APR list.

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 2nd, 2007, 09:17 PM
actually they came from the recruiting skills of van crapper

Yeah, probably these are a few of the 'bigguns' BVG insisted that we needed.

BEAR
May 2nd, 2007, 09:18 PM
Hatcher is a class act!

After watching Coach Hatcher play against the Bears (back in the day) and now watching him coach too..and being lucky enough to talk to him on the sidelines each game I got to attend, I can tell you he is a class act all the way. Very very down to earth, intellegent and a concerned person for his teammates(back then) and now his players. He wants to win, he wants to win the right way, and he wants to win any way he can with what talent he has available to him. GSU picked up a real football player, coach and class act with the "Hatch". xbowx xthumbsupx

Eagle22
May 3rd, 2007, 12:52 AM

If you'll forgive the long post and a few tangents, I think I can debunk this about BVG ....

At first glance, one would think so. But delve a little deeper and .....

APR compilation gives a student athlete the opportunity to contribute four points per year ... one point per semester for remaining eligible, a second point for retention on the team. 2 semesters, 4 points max.

Under Mike Sewak, we had a higher proportion of students losing ground with their eligibility than we had in years past PLUS our retention wasn't real strong. A double whammy.

While scheme implementation was the chief culprit, poor retention of student athletes was a small but notable contributor to the friction with Mike Sewak and Rusty Russell, friction which ultimately led to Russell's departure. Rusty Russell's firing and subsequent fall-out led to the well documented and self-imposed separation of Erk Russell and the Eagle program.

Our APR situation at this point, was not good at all. While others here at AGS and my website railed against Sam Baker for firing Mike Sewak, several of us knew of the impending and looming hit that GSU football was about to take. Baker had no other course of action left, considering the results on the field, the APR manifestations, and the loss of control Sewak had on the team. As regrettable as it was to have to fire a nice guy and a great ambassador of our program, it was necessary.

Sam Baker's actions were correct, but given the environment I believe Baker deserved criticism, just not criticism for his termination of Mike Sewak. IMO, Baker's biggest failing at that time was to either not adequately monitor the football team's endeavors, or provide sufficient support to prevent such problems from persisting. To a degree, I feel Baker had little choice in supporting Sewak's move in dismissing Rusty Russell, because we had lost quite a few redshirt freshmen who simply couldn't stand the pressure cooker that Russell kept them in.

VanGorder came in knowing what a train wreck the academics were, and he knew immediate improvement was not only needed, it was mandated.

The positive moves he made was to cut some borderline student-athletes from the roster, in an effort to trim some of the deadwood. Of course, there was a negative impact associated with this, at least in the retention portion of APR. BVG did implement stricter study hall and monitoring groups, so in that end he did help the team improve.

After fall camp and even early in the season, we continued to experience players leaving the team. At the end of the day, the retention under BVG was no better ... and probably even worse, than with the problematic Sewak-Russell team. There was notable improvement under VanGorder in relation to grades, but marginal if non-existent improvement in retention.

This thread is a perfect opportunity to tie it all together.

One of the kids that was arrested, is from my sleepy town of 5000 folks. VanGorder got him because he was a solid kid, made great grades and came from a decent hard working blue collar family. He had it all waiting for him because to this point, he had made the right decisions. This was the kind of kid that would come into the program, probably make a major contribution by his JR/SR year, then leave and graduate on time. But now, due to his poor decision, our program will feel the brunt on several fronts. Affects our long term depth at OL, especially given the fact that all these guys arrested were OL, plus it affects our running APR tally as they will not be retained.

Lose, lose, lose situation .... anyway you want to dice it up.

Lose isn't a word Georgia Southern fans like to hear, but the past two years we've been getting a face full of it. Better days are ahead, no doubt and the tide is turning ... but it will take a while for us to completely pull out of this and in no way did BVG 'save' us.

mlbowl
May 3rd, 2007, 07:35 AM
I think everyone on this site has opened mouth and inserted foot atleast once, if not many more

not me...i'm an angelxlolx :D xlolx

T-Dog
May 8th, 2007, 01:31 PM

I now have the inspiration for a smack forum topic called "All the things we can blame BVG for"
xsmiley_wix

PaladinFan
May 8th, 2007, 02:49 PM
I now have the inspiration for a smack forum topic called "All the things we can blame BVG for"
xsmiley_wix

Can't blame him if the Falcon's underachieve again this year. They've already made a habit of that.