PDA

View Full Version : The worst visitor's locker room in the FCS?

The Cats
August 21st, 2019, 12:02 PM
I read this article on FootballScoop titled: "The worst visitor’s locker room in college football, according to Mike Leach (https://footballscoop.com/news/worst-visitors-locker-room-college-football-according-mike-leach/)"

High school and college programs at every level travel to stadiums and temporarily store their stuff in some really sad looking locker rooms.

The most famous visitor’s locker room has to be in Kinnick Stadium, where everything from the walls to the urinals and lockers are pink, thanks to a special touch from former head coach Haden Fry, put his degree in psychology to good use. In fact, a few years ago it the locker room at Kinnick bothered Michigan so much they gave it a temporary facelift while they were in town.

It gave me an idea to ask who has the worst locker room in the FCS?
I guess we'll have to rely on our former players for an answer to this one, since most of us probably have never seen the insides of a visitor's locker room.

So, how about it, who has the honor of the worst locker room in the FCS?

Sader87
August 21st, 2019, 12:09 PM
Holy Cross' have been known to be historically bad by many.....small, dingy etc

Mocs123
August 21st, 2019, 12:17 PM
I'm not sure what the inside looks like but Samford's has a long walk down a steep concrete staircase. JSU's is in a little building off by itself. They didn't seem to touch it during the renovation to the rest of the stadium.

CSU's has to be bad, since my HS had a better stadium.

SUPharmacist
August 21st, 2019, 12:24 PM
I read this article on FootballScoop titled: "The worst visitor’s locker room in college football, according to Mike Leach (https://footballscoop.com/news/worst-visitors-locker-room-college-football-according-mike-leach/)"

I guess we'll have to rely on our former players for an answer to this one, since most of us probably have never seen the insides of a visitor's locker room.

Don't know who has the worst at the FCS level, but the mention of Kinnick and Michigan reminded me of someone with NDSU athletics trolling Michigan after that loss. Very juvenile, but it brought a smile to my face.

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2016/11/13/13612622/michigan-iowa-final-score-ndsu-tweet-troll

Catamount87
August 21st, 2019, 12:33 PM
Don't know who has the worst at the FCS level, but the mention of Kinnick and Michigan reminded me of someone with NDSU athletics trolling Michigan after that loss. Very juvenile, but it brought a smile to my face.

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2016/11/13/13612622/michigan-iowa-final-score-ndsu-tweet-troll

Oh man that is awesome!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 21st, 2019, 12:35 PM
I'm not sure Georgetown even has locker rooms for visitors. At one point they did not....

lionsrking2
August 21st, 2019, 12:39 PM
Nicholls State by far. Can't imagine it's close.

Laker
August 21st, 2019, 12:44 PM
Not sure about FCS. When I played junior college at Ridgewater (Willmar) we scrimmaged Mesabi at St. Cloud State's Selke Field. The locker room was worse than any I'd been in during high school- except for Sacred Heart (MN) HS. We were getting dressed there before a basketball game- a girl opened and held the door open- there was no barrier at all.

MR. CHICKEN
August 21st, 2019, 12:51 PM
.....2007........IN CARBONDALE.......PLAY-OFF GAME.....WHIFF...SOUFFERN ILLINOIS.........HENS HAD TA DRESS 'N SHOWER.....AT HOTEL.......NOT TA WORRY......YOU-DEE 20-17.........BRAWK!

Tribe4SF
August 21st, 2019, 12:59 PM
The worst ever no longer exists, and that was Parsons Field at Northeastern. Second floor of a relocated tiny apartment building. Anyone over 5'8" had to stoop to get around. Training table was set up on sidewalk of a city street outside the building. Hampton is also bad, and Bucknell too.

ST_Lawson
August 21st, 2019, 01:07 PM
It's not FCS, and I'm no 'Bama fan, but I always thought it was awesome that Alabama has a donor with a pretty good sense of humor who stepped up for naming rights to the visitor's locker room...named James M. Fail. Alabama's visiting opponents get suited up in the Fail Room: https://rolltide.com/news/2008/12/15/Bryant_Denny_Stadium_Visitors_Locker_Room_Named_fo r_James_M_Fail.aspx

(https://rolltide.com/news/2008/12/15/Bryant_Denny_Stadium_Visitors_Locker_Room_Named_fo r_James_M_Fail.aspx)https://i.imgur.com/cTna3qj.jpg?1

SUPharmacist
August 21st, 2019, 01:13 PM
It's not FCS, and I'm no 'Bama fan, but I always thought it was awesome that Alabama has a donor with a pretty good sense of humor who stepped up for naming rights to the visitor's locker room...named James M. Fail. Alabama's visiting opponents get suited up in the Fail Room: https://rolltide.com/news/2008/12/15/Bryant_Denny_Stadium_Visitors_Locker_Room_Named_fo r_James_M_Fail.aspx

(https://rolltide.com/news/2008/12/15/Bryant_Denny_Stadium_Visitors_Locker_Room_Named_fo r_James_M_Fail.aspx)https://i.imgur.com/cTna3qj.jpg?1

Nice.

IBleedYellow
August 21st, 2019, 01:38 PM
Someone should ask Thumper about SDSU's trailers they used to have people in.

POD Knows
August 21st, 2019, 01:41 PM
Hey. You might know this. Did the visitors locker rooms at the Fargo Dome get updated when the did the home locker rooms a couple years back.

IBleedYellow
August 21st, 2019, 02:34 PM
Hey. You might know this. Did the visitors locker rooms at the Fargo Dome get updated when the did the home locker rooms a couple years back.

I have failed you. I do not know the answer to this.

Thumper 76
August 21st, 2019, 02:47 PM

That wasn’t for visiting locker rooms. Visitors dressed at Frost and had to walk. It was beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IBleedYellow
August 21st, 2019, 02:50 PM
That wasn’t for visiting locker rooms. Visitors dressed at Frost and had to walk. It was beautiful.

Screw your stories. I blended them all together.

Bisonoline
August 21st, 2019, 02:55 PM
Screw your stories. I blended them all together.

I dont think they had a visitor locker room back in the 70s???

McNeese72
August 21st, 2019, 02:58 PM
Right now it is Nicholls because there is no visitor's locker room. Just a tent. I don't know if they are constructing a new one. After that, the one in Northwestern St.'s stadium has to be up at the top of the list.

Doc

Thumper 76
August 21st, 2019, 02:59 PM
I dont think they had a visitor locker room back in the 70s???

Yeah I’m not sure CAS had a visitors locker room ever. The home locker room was like two warning snacks placed by each other and joined with the training room in the middle. Meeting rooms were the old construction trailers under the old wooden bleachers before the Dykhouse Student Athlete Center was built.

lionsrking2
August 21st, 2019, 03:25 PM
Right now it is Nicholls because there is no visitor's locker room. Just a tent. I don't know if they are constructing a new one. After that, the one in Northwestern St.'s stadium has to be up at the top of the list.

Doc

This. When Texas State was still FCS, they were up there as well.

Bisonoline
August 21st, 2019, 03:26 PM
Yeah I’m not sure CAS had a visitors locker room ever. The home locker room was like two warning snacks placed by each other and joined with the training room in the middle. Meeting rooms were the old construction trailers under the old wooden bleachers before the Dykhouse Student Athlete Center was built.

I think we came down dressed with only our shoulder pads and helmets off. I think they may of had a concrete block bathroom but that was it I think.

TheKingpin28
August 21st, 2019, 03:49 PM
Is it WIU that you have to walk a hike to get to the field?

FUBeAR
August 21st, 2019, 04:02 PM
I think Mercer’s Visitor’s Locker Room is fairly nice, if a bit small. The building is adjacent to the field & was formerly the baseball batting cages. But, it was completely redone inside & out when they opened the new stadium in 2013. I think the Mercer Visitor’s showers are fairly nice too. The problem is they are NOT located inside the Visitor’s Locker Room. Players have to walk about 50 (or more) yards along a main outdoor sidewalk & then up a long flight of stairs to get to the showers & back. Football Players traipsing around outdoors wearing only towels among coeds (and Home Team Fans) walking back to their cars / dorms could, someday, prove to be a volatile mix.

https://i.postimg.cc/1zBd5fnD/20062522-1-A7-C-496-F-8-DD5-4824204-DAA27.png

BTW - this is NOT the Atlanta Campus as the caption says. This is Macon, GA.

Laker
August 21st, 2019, 04:02 PM

I remember MSU having to do that. I saw my fullback, Mike Rosin, and the team sitting around in a circle on the grass before the game and got to talk to him. At halftime they would go into that block house that was south of the stadium. I think that they used that as a Jacks apparel shop after that.

Bisonoline
August 21st, 2019, 04:28 PM

Yes

TheKingpin28
August 21st, 2019, 04:33 PM
Yes

That alone has to rate it high up there.

Bisonoline
August 21st, 2019, 04:37 PM
That alone has to rate it high up there.

When we walk in from tailgate to the game we usually will walk in with one of the teams . xnodx

TheKingpin28
August 21st, 2019, 04:45 PM
When we walk in from tailgate to the game we usually will walk in with one of the teams . xnodx

I cannot fathom how a team cannot build a lockeroom attached to the facility.

ST_Lawson
August 21st, 2019, 04:46 PM

Yes, but that's the case with both teams. I don't know if that counts since the home team makes that walk as well.
Also, don't know about the quality of the actual visitor's locker room.

Laker
August 21st, 2019, 04:46 PM

At MSU they have to walk across the street. I don't like it at all.

ST_Lawson
August 21st, 2019, 04:47 PM

It was the '50s, idk.

CHIP72
August 21st, 2019, 08:09 PM

You’d have a hard time fathoming Georgetown’s football facilities.

Bisonoline
August 21st, 2019, 08:14 PM
Yes, but that's the case with both teams. I don't know if that counts since the home team makes that walk as well.
Also, don't know about the quality of the actual visitor's locker room.

Truth

TheRevSFA
August 21st, 2019, 08:16 PM
Nicholls State by far. Can't imagine it's close.

Northwestern state doesn’t have one

TheKingpin28
August 21st, 2019, 08:23 PM
You’d have a hard time fathoming Georgetown’s football facilities.

It's sad when there are high schools around me that have nicer facilities than certain D1 schools.

PAllen
August 21st, 2019, 08:45 PM
It's sad when there are high schools around me that have nicer facilities than certain D1 schools.

It's sad when there are high schools around those same certain D1 schools that have nicer facilities. Add that DC public schools aren't exactly rolling in money and it is down right embarrassing.

Cocky
August 22nd, 2019, 07:44 AM
Surprised JSU hasnt gotten mentioned.

Mocs123
August 22nd, 2019, 07:53 AM
Surprised JSU hasnt gotten mentioned.

I mentioned JSU and Samford.

Redbird007
August 22nd, 2019, 08:37 AM

Not picking a fight here but never understood the concept of why college facilities must be nicer than any high school's facilities. I know that is the norm but who can up with that mandate? Just a side thought. As for visiting locker rooms I would hope that all visiting locker room facilities are bland/basic at most as anything nicer is an absolute waster of money.

Sycamore62
August 22nd, 2019, 08:56 AM
As far as the walk from WIU, Id rather walk than have some of the small ass locker rooms we changed in circa 93-97. I have to think ISUb until they renovated and gave the visitors the old home locker room was pretty close to the worst. it was the overflow locker room for the walkons back in the day. Now they use them (there were 2 small locker rooms) for the officials and the game crew (chains crew ball boys ect). Ive been in there during halftime and there wasnt room for all of them, let alone 45 players and staff.

i have trouble remembering all the old gateway locker rooms but my CTE brain remembers it like this:
EIU wasnt bad, you got to use their lockers they used for the PE dept
UNI was the same.
SIU at the old stadium must have been cramped because we stood outside under the bleachers at McAndrew
YSU same deal as SIU
(Southwest) Missouri St really sucked, no hot water, no room temperature water somehow the water wasnt coming out of the shower as slush. it was a locker room that was under the home side of the field that was about 8 feet wide and very long. I think I hated it the most.
Illinois state had an ok locker room then you had a gymnastics area outside of that to hang out in.
Murray St, I dont remember as bad
Liberty, we dressed, then walked down through the bleachers, then at halftime stayed in a storage building next to the field.
Western Ky, I think it was ok

POD Knows
August 22nd, 2019, 09:01 AM
Not picking a fight here but never understood the concept of why college facilities must be nicer than any high school's facilities. I know that is the norm but who can up with that mandate? Just a side thought. As for visiting locker rooms I would hope that all visiting locker room facilities are bland/basic at most as anything nicer is an absolute waster of money.D1 facilities should be nicer than most high schools. Need to get rid of the Dayton rule so some of these bottom feeders can play down to a lower level. I also disagree with your last sentence to a certain extent but the visitor locker rooms needs to be functional, do they need to be as nice as the home locker rooms, no, but they should be at least functional, any thing less than that is a lack of respect.

TheKingpin28
August 22nd, 2019, 09:44 AM
Not picking a fight here but never understood the concept of why college facilities must be nicer than any high school's facilities. I know that is the norm but who can up with that mandate? Just a side thought. As for visiting locker rooms I would hope that all visiting locker room facilities are bland/basic at most as anything nicer is an absolute waster of money.If you want to be D1, you should have adequate D1 facilities. It's that simple. I'm not saying they need to be Allen TX nice, but they should be able to be better than the high schools in their area.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

SUPharmacist
August 22nd, 2019, 10:44 AM
It's sad when there are high schools around those same certain D1 schools that have nicer facilities. Add that DC public schools aren't exactly rolling in money and it is down right embarrassing.

But Georgetown is so low on funds, how could they possibly keep up with DC public schools.

Not living in the area, I have no real idea of how facilities at either are. Hopefully, the comparison to DC public schools is because their facilities are not great and not because the schools are spending way to much on athletics instead of education.

Also, Georgetown and any university can spend money as they see fit. But, when I see them constantly come up in discussions like this, I do not understand why they have football (not a knock on their players/fans, but if as an institution they don't want to fund it).

pvdogteam
August 22nd, 2019, 10:46 AM
Yes Nicholls it's the worst. I wish we could make them dress outside just to make it even when they visit us this year

ngineer
August 22nd, 2019, 12:10 PM

Wagner. Absolutely horrible...the pits. So small half the visiting team has to dress outside under a tent and where they have to set up the trainers tables. They should be ashamed.

POD Knows
August 22nd, 2019, 12:51 PM
I have an idea on these visitor locker rooms, the home team should take a look at what their coming opponents provide for their visiting teams and then emulate that when they go on road trips. I would be fun to see some of these teams getting ready in tents outside the Fargo dome in November and December.

ST_Lawson
August 22nd, 2019, 01:14 PM
If you want to be D1, you should have adequate D1 facilities. It's that simple. I'm not saying they need to be Allen TX nice, but they should be able to be better than the high schools in their area.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

For WIU, we do still have better facilities than our local high school. Macomb High is just finishing up installing a brand new turf field (previously grass), but WIU has had turf since 2010. Stands at the HS are nice for the size of school, but are about the size and style of WIU's "away side" stands. I've not seen Macomb's locker rooms, but they're in a building a bit away from the field. WIU's are a bit further from the field, but are actually pretty nice, I've heard.

Also, Georgetown and any university can spend money as they see fit. But, when I see them constantly come up in discussions like this, I do not understand why they have football (not a knock on their players/fans, but if as an institution they don't want to fund it).

Drop football or take the sport to the NEC or Pioneer League. NEC would be a lot better travel-wise, I'm sure.

ASU33
August 22nd, 2019, 02:44 PM
The Nicholls tent has to be the worst!